Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2007 7:26 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Got a little frustrating to watch this. Last episode Shuga annoyed me. He was much better this episode. I'm just nervous how the guards will act and behave in future episodes. I just want folks to be even keel about the matter.

This episode Balsa bothered until the end. The reaction that Chagum had after listening to the story of the first Nyunga Ro Chaga surprised me. His face looked twisted with fear and imminent death.
Aug 16, 2007 9:16 AM

Jun 2007
ye it was nervous ep :S the story is starting to develop but in same time everything seems to be so hopeless... still 8 eps to go, wonder what will happen next.
Aug 23, 2007 12:04 PM

Apr 2007
not much to report on tis episode =X
Dec 15, 2008 9:19 AM

Apr 2008
poor chagum...
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Jan 14, 2009 4:28 AM

Jul 2008
La Lunga sounds mighty scary.
Apr 7, 2009 2:16 PM

Feb 2009
Oh man poor Chagum! Hi hope Balsa will be able to same him from La Lunga.
Jun 20, 2009 8:53 PM

Nov 2007
For some reason Chagum's reaction seemed ... unrealistic? I didn't find this episode all that great with no real plot movement apart from the last few minutes. So waiting for the meetiing between Shuga's party and Balsa and to find out more about La Lunga.
Jul 25, 2009 2:24 PM
Jul 2008
Crimsonwill said:
For some reason Chagum's reaction seemed ... unrealistic?

The first ridiculous and bizarre thought from me was, "He's going into labor!"
Dec 9, 2009 12:17 AM

Jan 2009
Yeah Chagum's reaction at first was over the top, but it ended while with him fainting into Balsa. Hoping next episode Balsa can say something to calm him down or make him feel better.
Mar 29, 2010 9:40 PM

Sep 2008
Balsa's still irritating me a bit... she's still being so cold to Chagum and instead of breaking the news as gently as possible she sat there and let that girl speak of his death like it was this amazing story complete with dramatic motions.

How in the world was that supposed to be a good way to tell him he was going to almost certainly die? Oh good idea Balsa. =_=

Being so harsh on him while going up the mountain was not a good idea either. She should be comforting him, telling him that she's going to find a way to protect him... if she had broken the news gently it still would have been a shock, but the boy might not have passed out if he'd been prepared for the story.

As for his reaction - eh, it was a bit dramatic, yes, but it looked like the beginning of a panic attack to me which I find more than understandable. I'd probably have a panic attack as well if someone told me I was going to be ripped in half by a huge monster. At least it didn't last long and Balsa was there to catch him.

Now the big question is whether or not the hunters will follow orders and wait for Shuga before attacking or if they're going to just act without thinking like Jin so often does. Balsa and the hunters are going to have to work together to protect Chagum. Well, actually I think Balsa and her spear are probably the only things that can protect him, but we'll see.
Jun 3, 2010 6:16 PM

May 2009
"There's this thing called la lunga that is going to try to kill you when the egg is ready to hatch. We're going to try to find out more about it and how to stop it."

Simple as that, Balsa.

I wonder if part of the Founding History was actually true. Maybe they actually fought the La Lunga? If Balsa ever teams up with the Hunters and the Emperor, they could try that again XD
Jul 5, 2010 8:18 AM

Apr 2009
Shoot!

Being told to get torn apart by gigantic claws, not the best way to end a day..
Jul 12, 2010 8:29 PM
Apr 2010
That's a rough way to die,I probably woulda fainted too >.>
Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 3, 2010 1:58 AM

Jun 2009
I guess, Balsa has a reason for not telling it to Chagum earlier

*6 Hunters vs Balsa and if with Torogai
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 31, 2010 11:57 AM

Sep 2008
Um. She should've told him... I mean, yeah that was a great way for him to find out that he was going to die... NOT. The girl was telling it all dramatically as though it really were just some legend or story. No. DX I didn't get his reaction, actually - the first thing I thought was that the egg thingy inside him could hear the story and was reacting... If that's not the case then, um, yeah his reaction was a little drastic... even though the way the previous Nyunga Ro Im (or however it's spelled...) sounded really terrible.

(Oh, you finally got your breath back, Shuga? No broken ribs? Pfft. Though he was better in this episode, I won't forget the previous episode...)
Sep 2, 2010 11:28 PM

May 2010
Guys, run!!! They are nearing you!!!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 3, 2010 9:53 AM

Oct 2010
I was surprised with the girl's story as well. Chagum's reaction was perhaps pretty dramatic, but it gave the right impression. The fear and frustration, yep. He'd do well in a theater lol.

About Balsa, well I'm pretty confused with all your comments actually. We're talking about the tough woman here. Having became that strong, what kind of training she had endured? Why would she think it was necessary to stop in the middle of the travel just for mere exhaustion? Why would she think it was better to soothe the poor boy when gaining strength was the best thing she had achieved and it was a chance to let him gain strength as well? (and hey, it ensures survival!) Why would she think it was necessary to stop the storyteller in the middle just in case Chagum would be horrified with the outcome?

Ok, I should stop now. People, we're just too soft. This anime is talking realistic.

One more. It's also normal for the young storyteller to tell the story with movements and expression, that's the way we Asians preserve our stories. At least before modernity come, but anyways. Personally I enjoyed that moment.

Last point. An anime about journey is a big love. Those Ghibli hills are just adorable.
fianeNov 5, 2010 4:44 AM
Jan 5, 2011 11:06 AM

Oct 2009
Not much new info about the egg :\
Chagum overreacted o_o i thought something was going on with egg (<_<);;
Great episode nonetheless ^-^
Feb 10, 2011 9:49 PM

Feb 2010
fiane said:
I was surprised with the girl's story as well. Chagum's reaction was perhaps pretty dramatic, but it gave the right impression. The fear and frustration, yep.

I with fiance here. I also like the scene where Chagum called out Balsa, before he fainted, and Balsa reached out to support him. They were having cold war with each other in this episode and it is this moment that shows the strengths of their bonds. Balsa has been a wonderful maternal figure.
Mar 16, 2011 6:19 AM

Apr 2009
I'm a bit off-topic but here it goes.

I don't know if anybody else notice it since I'm too lazy to check on the rest of the discussion threads here, I just noticed it now on this episode's eyecatch (between part A & B of every episode) they show the development of the Nyunga Ro Im's egg. I reviewed all the past episodes I've seen, they actually showed it undergo mitosis on the first few episodes and started embryonic stage on episode 13. XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 27, 2013 10:57 AM

Sep 2009
Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaa... going to watch episode 18 now :D
the last part is epic!!! "Balsa...."
Jun 29, 2013 12:20 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Well it's very Balsa like not to tell him about him probably dying. Honestly, breaking the news to him in a nice way wouldn't really be any better, especially because they don't know if they can prevent him from dying. But yeah, it was probably worse for him to learn his fate by that girl's storytelling...

It was also a little harsh, what Torogai said to the chief of the village, that they were no better than the palace. But I think it's true too. It's sad when traditions are lost, and sometimes they can important.
Feb 15, 2014 10:55 PM

Nov 2009
Wow . . . That last minute or so was one of my favorite moments out of any anime I have seen, I loved how that played out. Maybe that sounds sadistic but the setting for him to find out about the Egg-Eater was just perfect.
Aug 17, 2014 1:51 AM

Sep 2012
Let me Guess, that little girl took liking to the prince from first sight, how cute :D

i bet the panic attack came form the egg, cause Chagum is a lot more calm, he has been in danger before & he barely shows fear, & when he dose the reaction is weak, my point is, its not like hes char at all, so it has to be the egg

Jan 15, 2015 10:09 PM

Jan 2013
Nice way to end on that shocking reveal.
Good backstory too
Mar 17, 2015 10:41 PM

Nov 2013
Oh shit. The hunters are right on their tail. I expect an epic confrontation next episode.

The best part of the episode was definitely the last scene where Chagum lost his shit. Seeing that terrified look on his face when he realized that he must be sacrificed for the water spirit to be reborn was amazing.

Good episode. Mostly a lot of talking but the last scene sold it.

7.5/10

May 11, 2015 2:54 PM

Jul 2013
At first I was a bit annoyed with Balsa, but then I remembered my parents often did something like that too when I was younger. For example I noticed that something was wrong, so I asked them and they just said "don't worry everything is going to be fine". Few weeks later they told me they were getting a divorce. I guess it's just a parental thing. I think Balsa was just trying to find a solution before telling Chagum something like, ey mate don't want to scare you but there is a big chance that something is going to kill you. Which is something that must be very hard to say for a parental figure, so eh I can understand Balsa somewhat. Based on her surprised reaction when Chagum got his panic attack (loved that he still went straight to Balsa even when he was mad at her) I think that she was just really focused on the story and forgot Chagum for a moment.

This episode made me once again interested in Balsa's past. I assume she wasn't allowed to rest whenever she was tired either. Really hope we see something more about that in one of the remaining episodes.

Anyway it wasn't a spectacular episode but the ending of this episode was once again great. Lets see if Balsa or the Yakoo girl can cheer Chagum up a little bit next episode and if they can get away in time.
Sep 26, 2015 3:14 AM

Mar 2012
What the hell is up with Balsa? It's not like you'd spoil him by showing a little consideration rather than coming off like a cold hearted bitch especially when the kid just learned that his brother died. Hoping there's a better reason than the tough love excuse. She's never acted like that before even when she caught him at the festival.

fiane said:
About Balsa, well I'm pretty confused with all your comments actually. We're talking about the tough woman here. Having became that strong, what kind of training she had endured? Why would she think it was necessary to stop in the middle of the travel just for mere exhaustion? Why would she think it was better to soothe the poor boy when gaining strength was the best thing she had achieved and it was a chance to let him gain strength as well? (and hey, it ensures survival!) Why would she think it was necessary to stop the storyteller in the middle just in case Chagum would be horrified with the outcome?

Ok, I should stop now. People, we're just too soft. This anime is talking realistic.

She gave him a freaking piggy back ride because he was sleepy in the first/second episode -_- Being tough =/= acting the complete opposite of how you've been shown interacting with Chagum for the first 16 episodes. They've just made her act unreasonable to cause a temporary rift between her and Chagum for the sake of drama.
May 8, 2017 1:55 AM

Oct 2012
It's pretty intense story
Poor Chagum, I guess he knew why he isn't allowed to go back now

Seems like there's no solution from previous Nyunga Ro Chaga either
"Signature removed"
Aug 19, 2017 1:51 PM
Nov 2010
If Balsa wants to temporarily hide the truth from Chagum, there's no need to go the "I'll tell you later." which is like telling him he's a nuisance from his perspective since he obviously knows she can tell it to him now but doesn't want to, maybe even ever. The better way would be to assure him like the young human he is that she can't tell him now for certain reasons and will do it later, or to straight up tell him and convince him that they'll manage through it, like I assume she or someone else will do in the next episode. And then adding the "Don't bother Tanda by being weak." to the fire to make him feel worse. She wasn't so inconsiderate before.

Other than that, there were a bit too many convenient things in this episode, such as the young girl immediately recognizing Tanda as the grandson of someone who died two years ago, or the previous Nyunga Ro Chaga being from that village.

The thing leading to the girl narrating was a bit out-there, too. And then everyone is not reacting that well over the course of the narration: no one tries to stop her when she got to the egg carrier dying part or is too nervous or resolute about it and Chagum almost went from 0 to 100 (no reaction shown as the girl started describing the final part, only one before that) because he heard that the last egg carrier died, as if that certainly means he's gonna die, too.

Oh, so it seems the two didn't have to worry about the poison back then because of the shaman or something? That ability sounds like something that the court should also have in its arsenal, regardless if the star mages aren't supposed to practice shamanism. They are serious rulers and they were ready to even prepare a funeral, delay another funeral and go to kill Chagum amongst other things for the sake of the country.
Tomislavr7Aug 19, 2017 1:58 PM
Sep 26, 2018 3:20 PM

Sep 2011
So even the last pure, and untouched Yakue village is losing its knowledge, and tradition, and that's really sad. If the training was harsh, he just had to change it instead of just giving everything up, by writing everything down instead of keeping the oral tradition or something, this isn't the kind of knowledge that should be lost in a world so connected with a spiritual one, but well.

Shuga and the hunters are steadily approaching them, and now Chagum knows that he's fated to die, and in a gruesome way no less. I wonder how he will react, he seemed so heartbroken in the preview, I hope Balsa will be able to offer some emotional support, and search for an alternative with Torogai or something.
Sep 13, 2019 9:38 AM

May 2015
Chagum should take it like a man. JK :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 21, 2021 3:55 PM

Jul 2017
A pretty heavy episode overall for Chagum as the show begins to transition to the final stages of this particular story/anime. He was already in a pretty conflicted mindset after hearing about his brother's death, and then having to travel with Balsa, Tanda and Torogai to Toumi while they were pretty much not talking about the important details to him just yet, furthermore being challenged a bit by Balsa's tough love parenting there. Given how she must have been parented like that by Jiguro, she clearly cares for him and wants to help him out but doesn't know the right way to go about it at all, handling the situation pretty clumsily overall before making it to the village eventually.

She tries to dismiss his anxiety and emotional conflicts, not showing much in terms of kindness too since she refused to carry him towards the village, actions that even Tanda was questioning Balsa about in regards to why she was being aggressive there. Balsa definitely was a bit out of her depth there as she projects how Jiguro would have treated her if she was in Chagum's position (especially given how the whole situation was rocky compared to anything she's experienced with Chagum before), but at least Torogai helped Chagum out a bit with the rest by pretending to be lost and having them wait for her to show up eventually. Balsa is not a perfect parent nor character by any means despite being great, she has her own weaknesses and aspects that she's a bit oblivious too.

Meanwhile the Hunters at hand have figured out pretty much where they all are heading too. While Toya was clever to burn down the map, they still had the goods to decipher how much distance are they travelling, and for how long the journey would be, and why would they travel out in the first place before Shuga even encountered them. Shuga's knowledge about Toumi being one of the few villages to follow the Yaku customs helped out massively in the end for their direction to head there. Given how Shuga doesn't want Balsa dead immediately if he meets them again and wants to ask them something, it could lead to a situation where Shuga could see Balsa more of an ally than a friend since it's not like their ambitions lead to completely different paths when it comes to the well-being of Chagum. Plus, Balsa's more knowledgable than Shuga in this particular field too so given his smart nature, maybe he's got that thought out.

Chagum had some heavy feelings when dealing with Balsa on the journey to the village, but what really threw him for a loop, was when he arrived at Toumi and learned some of the truth about the egg and learn about the fate of someone who previously was in his position now (the part where the girl spoke about how the egg bearer was ripped in half by La Lunga did not help at all). Sure, they didn't know that Chagum was the egg bearer so it's not their fault but man, poor Chagum couldn't catch a break as despair clouds on him further and further and further. Life's really testing both him and Balsa currently.

The content was strong, but what impressed me along with the content was the visual direction and details shown with its settings, especially for Toumi Village, already establishing a culture there with fascinating traditions and beautiful sceneries too, showing even a close bond between the people that reside there compared to a lot of other places showcased in the anime previously. The setting felt incredibly real, almost like I was transported to that area from my laptop.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 14 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 16, 2007

38 by Safrichh »»
May 15, 8:42 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 1, 2007

54 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 15 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 24, 2007

46 by WIIXAnd »»
Feb 26, 2:35 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 12 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jun 30, 2007

45 by Safrichh »»
Feb 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 18, 2007

55 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.