Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 30, 2011 7:43 AM

May 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
And the bombshell was finally dropped. Luffy wants Jimbei in his crew. Can we finally have the full Straw Hat crew? And more importantly, does Luffy now have his blood bank after every fight? Lol. Anyway, I guess you can say it was inevitable. Jimbei is somewhat of an outcast among his own people and more of one in the world above. Only rationale choice was joining the Strawhats.

Other than that, good wrap up chapter. Caribou is definitely the culprit stealing the gold. And really interested in the secret behind Noah. Hopefully they'll get into that.
VK11Nov 30, 2011 7:58 AM
Nov 30, 2011 8:00 AM

Mar 2008
chopper really has changed, at least now we know his weakness. I did not expect jimbei to be the next nekama, i was hoping we would get somebody else but at least we crew is now full. I just think its sad that there will be no more characters joining. Unless Oda pulls and Oda on us and brings another nakama sometime in the future, that would be unexpectedly awesome!
Nov 30, 2011 8:02 AM

Aug 2011
i like Jinbei but for some reason i dont want him to join the crew. i wanted a new character to join the crew./ i think Jinbei may decline or something in the next chapter
"Throw away your logic and kick reason to the curb! Beautifully following the golden road! If there’s a wall, we knock it down! It’s a road built with these hands! The Magma of the Heart’s Final Ignition! Perfect Unification Gurren-Lagann!"
Nov 30, 2011 8:04 AM

Feb 2010
Jinbe!!! i was rooting for him since impel down^^ hopefully he joins after zorro he is my favorite op character.
Nov 30, 2011 8:09 AM

Jun 2009
I want vivi to return but iv been thinking even more resently that jimbi wold since the final attack. Ya though jimi nolonger has a crew so it would work.
Nov 30, 2011 8:13 AM

Nov 2011
Somehow,Jinbei doesn't fit in Luffy's crew :/ I dunno,if i try to imagine him in the crew,he seems a bit...off. And they're all 'off' but in a different sense.
Nov 30, 2011 8:17 AM

Jul 2010
I love Jinbei so much, but I have to agree...

Iunno it'd feel a little weird if he accepted.

But if anyone can make me like an idea it's Oda so...

we'll see :0
Nov 30, 2011 8:23 AM

Jun 2011
This chapter was so epic. So even Roger could talk to the seakings.
I also think Jinbei seems a bit off, but that was also with Brook in my opinion.
But I think it would work out.
But I don't think he would join.
I would also be fun if someone of Whitebeard's crew would join like Marco.
Nov 30, 2011 8:38 AM

Nov 2009
He is a good adition to the crew. Franky was doing too much work anyway so he can leave the helmsman position to Jinbei now. He is super strong and can save all those devil fruit users if they somehow manage to fall into the ocean.

If he joins the big 3 is history. There will be big 4 + the rest :P
Nov 30, 2011 8:39 AM

Oct 2007
nooo we dont want old man jinbe to join, we want a mermaid! as hazardous to sanjis health as that may be!

but no, i wont believe it. until i see jinbe with chopsticks up his nose, he's not a true SH member.
Nov 30, 2011 8:50 AM

Aug 2011
I wasn't the only one who wasn't surprised to see Gol D. Roger in this chapter? Once SeaKings mentioned a man who also could hear them speak back in the time, I knew it was Roger. As we already know, he had the power to listen to things. In that case, more questions is raised about what Roger did on the Fishman Island and who is the boy Neptun was talking about in the previous chapter about Noah?

Either way, Oda wrapped up the chapter really sweet about Discrimination being washed away and 2 species sharing ONE BLOOD, who once hated each other and looked down. Seeing Jinbe giving blood to Luffy surely is a noble act. To see Oda come up with a story reflecting our real world is something Bleach or Naruto would come up against.

At the end of it, probably the most talked cliff hanger prior to this chapter. Will Jinbe join the crew? Some "hints" has been written and drawn, but we might know the answer next chapter! I think he will say yes though. He is a pirate, he belongs on a Pirate ship god dammit. He also broke a law, means he also is a fugitive. It's tough to be a good guy in a tough and isolated world indeed.

Thanks to ODA for a fantastic chapter yet again.
Nov 30, 2011 9:03 AM
Apr 2010
Awesome chapter cant wait to hear more on noah and the sea kings gonna be interesting

while i think jinbe will join i do have mixed feelings about it

also after luffy recieves jimbes blood i think it is possible it might affect him in some way give him some fish man characteristic... just a possiblity

cant wait to see the strawhats smash Caribou
Nov 30, 2011 9:10 AM
May 2011
Jinbe joining wouldn't mean there isn't a possibility of no one else joining. The passage that everyone quotes about having 10 crew members probably doesn't include Luffy or is just a rough estimate or is totally forgotten. I'm guessing if Jinbe joins there will still be one more.

I'm having a hard time picturing him as part of the crew too, but it has always been that way with every new addition. I remember back when they were going to get Chopper and Robin and I couldn't see them fitting until they were sailing around with the crew. It is the next logical step, getting a fishman, to make their crew truly diverse.
Nov 30, 2011 9:10 AM

Sep 2011
Great chapter!I can't wait for the next.
Nov 30, 2011 9:13 AM

Feb 2008
jayquizz said:
Somehow,Jinbei doesn't fit in Luffy's crew :/ I dunno,if i try to imagine him in the crew,he seems a bit...off. And they're all 'off' but in a different sense.

I know how you feel. I guess, Jinbei gives more of a "serious" aura just like Robin. I think one is enough for a serious-type of character in their crew. =)

Shiken said:
nooo we dont want old man jinbe to join, we want a mermaid! as hazardous to sanjis health as that may be!

Yeah, a mermaid will be a better choice. Oda-sensei can make many more gags and laughs if a mermaid will join the Straw Hats, especially jokes directed to Sanji. teehee...
Nov 30, 2011 9:21 AM

Mar 2009
lol, well i knew he was gonna ask jimbei at least...not entirely decided on whether i want him to accept on not yet. I liked this chapter, had quite the serious feel to it and am looking forward to wrapping up this arc and getting our first real look at the new world. If jimbei does join i wonder what he will join as...?
Nov 30, 2011 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
Phoenix_Hime said:
lol, well i knew he was gonna ask jimbei at least...not entirely decided on whether i want him to accept on not yet. I liked this chapter, had quite the serious feel to it and am looking forward to wrapping up this arc and getting our first real look at the new world. If jimbei does join i wonder what he will join as...?

good point. i really don't see any position that he could take on the ship.
Nov 30, 2011 9:31 AM

Sep 2009
The problem imo is that all of the members of Luffy's crew has a resolve/needs friends that are made from their sad or tragic past. Jimbei doesn't really have any of those so that is why I can't seem him fitting well in the crew. I liked the way it ended though, wrapping it up with a bond with fishman and human.

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Nov 30, 2011 9:37 AM

Jun 2009
jayquizz said:
Phoenix_Hime said:

as some one els said some one who can recover the ones wiht the devil fruits from the water.

why I do believe he will join:
He has no crew
He has once again broken the rules of the island
He gets along with luffy and would give some much needed brains to the crew.
His connection to Ace and how Ace asked him to keep an eye on luffy.
If the blood works it would help to have some one with the same blood as luffy.
It would be a good fuck you to the world govermnet.
Also they will need extra strength even with there power up they are to small for the new world.
Nov 30, 2011 9:47 AM

May 2009
nickgypsy said:
also after luffy recieves jimbes blood i think it is possible it might affect him in some way give him some fish man characteristic... just a possiblity

I doubt it, Chopper has said before that blood transfusions between fishmen and humans are safe.

And about Jimbe, I'd like to see him as a Straw Hat but so far chances are 50-50 wether he'll join or not. Let's see how Oda works this out :D
Nov 30, 2011 10:05 AM
May 2011
jayquizz said:
Phoenix_Hime said:

I've heard talks that he would be the helmsman considering they don't have an official one and he is shown steering the ship in a flashback.
Nov 30, 2011 10:10 AM

Aug 2009
I think Jinbe will refuse but knowing Luffy, he probably won't give up until Jinbi agrees. Unless Jinbe is needed to be Shirahoshi's advisor or something.
Nov 30, 2011 10:36 AM

Mar 2008
i really wish there's more members after jinbei, at least 2-3 more T-T
Nov 30, 2011 10:38 AM
Jun 2008
I could even see Caribou join the crew. Not yet seen a sad past of him but he is quite funny and (probably) lost his entire crew.

But Jimbe is cool too. Very strong and will probably rub the goverment the wrong way by joining the straw hats.

Really looking forwad to next chapter
Nov 30, 2011 10:46 AM

May 2008
I think Caribou is in Sunny with all the gold he stole.
Nov 30, 2011 10:52 AM

Jul 2009
Kyyahh!! Great chapter! XDD

Jimbei is a great man, and it'd be awesome if he would be part of Luffy's crew, but I just cant stop this feeling how he shouldnt be .... And I got a huge feeling that he is going to say no ...

Cant wait!!!!
Nov 30, 2011 11:04 AM

Apr 2010
I knew he'd eventually ask. I'm not really for or against him joining though.
Nov 30, 2011 11:30 AM

Apr 2009
nah, Jinbei will refuse ofc.. though i want another to be in the crew
Nov 30, 2011 11:37 AM

Mar 2008
Jinbei is gonna accept, but later he is gonna leave the crew. just like vivi.
Nov 30, 2011 11:41 AM

Jun 2011
There is going to be a more unique character then Jinbe, for the next crew member. Last two were a cyborg and an then an undead person. Hmm.
Nov 30, 2011 11:47 AM

Apr 2008
*sigh* I was expecting this, but I didn't want to admit that it would be Jinbe. I can rationalize and understand the reasons others can see him as part of the Strawhat crew, but it feels rather odd. I haven't felt like that with any of the other members during their periods of joining the crew. We've seen some of the struggles Jinbe has gone through, but to me it lacks a crucial emotion that the others seemed to have experienced in their pasts. Basically, he hasn't made me feel sympathy towards him, which I have felt towards every other crew member. I don't know, give me Vivi joining the crew anyday.
Sir_InqedNov 30, 2011 11:58 AM
Nov 30, 2011 12:26 PM
Jun 2010
I'm glad that he may be the next crew member. Everyone says that they can't imagine it but it has been the same with most of the new characters in the series. At first I thought I liked it best when it was just Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Ussop and Sanji(maybe Chopper) but the characters all somehow end up fitting well with the crew. Jimbei is more of a serious character and seems like a combination of Robin's seriousness and Zoro's badassery. I can at least see Jimbei making comical reactions with eyes popping out and all though which we'll never see with Robin though.

Anyways this chapter made me smile, really enjoyed it and like the message. This arc reminds me of our world and how races like black and white people couldn't get along before. Can't wait for them to reach the new world though.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Nov 30, 2011 12:35 PM

Aug 2010
I'm pretty sure Jimbei will decline. I can't see him in the crew. Anyways looks like this arc is wrapping up, can't wait till the new world.
Nov 30, 2011 12:50 PM

Jun 2009
KuroiInazuma said:
There is going to be a more unique character then Jinbe, for the next crew member. Last two were a cyborg and an then an undead person. Hmm.

FISH MAN
Nov 30, 2011 1:12 PM

Jun 2009
I want Jimbei! he's definitely gonna be a good and strong crew for straw-hat pirates.
Nov 30, 2011 1:15 PM

Oct 2011
Let me point out something to people.Is Luffy the types to say "Sorry you can't join my crew,I have enough members"?I think NOT!!!Especially at 10.When he said AT LEAST 10.
And someone online pointed this out:"4 members from East Blue,4 members from the 1st half of the Grand Line.So HE guess we get 4 from New World."Be interesting & awesome if this was the case.
Whatever happens,I SERIOUSLY doubt we will only get ONE member from the 2nd half of the series to join,ESPECIALLY since the is STILL the BEGINNING of this part.We haven't even reach New World yet.
I'm assuming Jinbei says yes.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Nov 30, 2011 1:44 PM

Jan 2008
Does anyone remember the list Luffy made when he was talking to Zoro about what crew members he wanted to have? I know he said a swordsman, a cook, a navigator, a doctor, and a musician. What were the others?

I'm sure Jimbei will both accept and decline the offer. Decline it now until things get settled on the island but later accept. But the idea of him joining for now, and then leaving like Vivi did is also a possibility that I could see happening.

Jimbei being added to the group would be a little off putting, but if nothing else he'd see it as fulfilling Ace's last request, and he knows the New World well enough that he could be a great asset for knowledge.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Nov 30, 2011 2:17 PM
Jul 2011
This chapter was great, I really enjoyed it.

I wonder what Cairbou is planning..dropping all the mermaids for treasure. It was probably because the treasure was more valuable or something.

I think Jinbe will join since he helped Luffy in Impel Down, the war, post war, and here. Plus, Ace asked Jinbe to watch Luffy. With all this in mind, I believe he will accept Luffy's request. I don't really like the idea of Jinbe being part of the crew though.
Nov 30, 2011 2:27 PM

Jun 2009
Yaaay, Jinbe going to join the crew?! I want that to happen. More crews members, the better it is. But for some reason i think he declines, just a feeling...

Nov 30, 2011 2:32 PM

Jan 2008
I'm quite sure in the long run, Jimbei will accept Luffy's invitation. Ace has asked him to keep an eye on his brother, and I believe that's gonna be his ultimate goal, since every StrawHat member has one.
Nov 30, 2011 2:35 PM

Oct 2009
Feeling the same here. I don't think Jinbei will join, at least not long term.

Looking forward to seeing Big Mam and a resolution to the fisherman X human problem.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2011 3:27 PM

Aug 2009
Oh, when I look at the sea kings' expressions I always assume they are eating a lot of seaweed on the ocean floor.
Nov 30, 2011 3:29 PM

Jan 2010
I feel like Jimbei will have too much to take care of on FI to join, and that he'll use his sage wisdom/old man grumpiness to convince Luffy he'd be better off taking someone else. Also, I'm pretty sure Neptune abolished the blood law, which would render Jimbei's "crime" completely irrelevant.
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Nov 30, 2011 3:49 PM
Jul 2011
Mother of God,oda, what have u done ... Now that luffy has asked him to join the crew, Jimbei will definitely join! Everyone who had been asked, even by joke, eventually joined, and none of the other who hadn't did it.
There's no hope, not anymore!

I totally love Jinbei's character, he was the one that, back at impel down where he sank marine ship with ease, that the crew HAD to have a cool fishman ... but from then on I was more and more certain that it had not to ben Jinbei! And yet ...
I'm so sad ...
He hasn't a dream to realize with the help of his nakama, he was in another important pirate crew, and had already shipped to NW with them, was friend with WB ... so at least he will now everything about what awaits SH (and us), about the mechanism to become one of the four emperor and maybe even some hints about OP.
So why didn't he make Marco join him? Why did they stop Rayleigh for spoiling them everything about the journey ahead of them?
Jinbei is just plainly TOO OLD! Has had too much experience!
He totally doesn't fit in ...
Soooo sad ... =(

All I have left is to hope that he will refuse, event though I don't actually believe he will ...

Does anybody out there think the same as me?
Nov 30, 2011 4:07 PM
Oct 2011
Too old ElMorty? Brook is 90 years old! I don't think that Jinbei is any where near 90. If by old you just mean experienced and knowledgeable than Robin can't be a crew member since she knows friggin' every thing... ever. As for Luffy refusing knowledge of where One Piece is... I read an interesting theory the other week. What if Luffy already has One Piece? What if One Piece is the straw hat that Roger passed down to Shanks and Shanks passed down to Luffy?

I'm torn on if I want him to join or not but definitely starting to lean towards wanting him. I'm also kind of hoping that after the Reverie Vivi decides that the best way to help her people is to travel with the Strawhats. After two years and a few months things have probably calmed down quite a bit at Alabasta.

For people wanting a logia user how about this? Zoro. Not eating one himself although that could be pretty awesome. What if Zoro gets a hold of a logia or zoan sword like Funkfreed? Personally I think it'd be hilarious if he ended up with a legendary zoan sword of a black unicorn. It'd be hardcore but still hilarious and attacking his badass image but also reinforcing it. Could fit with his "Grim Reaper" theme as well.
LechteronNov 30, 2011 4:21 PM
Nov 30, 2011 4:20 PM
Jul 2011
No, Robin know things because she reads a lot, Jinbei has already lived through the trouble of NW! That's not fair!
Again, Oda might as well had taken Marco and slipped him in into Straw Hat Crew ... He just doesn't fit in!
With Brook it is a different thing, his journey around the world was merely interrupted, and he is now to finish it with new nakamas, with whom he share a promise with a certain important someone! He does fit in!

And again no: imho Zoro would lose points as a logia user! Zoro (but the same goes for Sanji) is cool because he IS strong without the damn devil fruit! Just let's think about Rayleigh, or Shanks! They kick ass and do not have any power else the one the train so hard to achieve. (And now they can even swim)
They ARE badass! Luffy is more cool a character only because he the main chara and is stupid! (and I'm not even that certain he is cooler than Zoro)
Nov 30, 2011 4:29 PM
Oct 2011
I'm not saying that Zoro should eat one. What I'm saying is that it would be awesome if he had a sword with a devil fruit like Funkfreed.

I disagree. Having Nami makes it unfair to travel in the New World since she'll be able to figure out the shifting weather patterns. Robin knows a lot from reading but she also knows a lot because she's been on the run since she was 8. She has a lot of world traveling experience as well. The more I think about it the more I think Jinbei fits and the more I think he could make a great addition to the crew. Could be some good drama between him and Sanji who still probably holds a slight grudge for the whole Arlong thing but like his rivalry with Zoro he can put it behind him when he needs to. You know Sanji and Zoro are best of friends, they just express it by fighting and rivalry. It could be kind of the same way with Sanji and Jinbei except that Jinbei wouldn't really argue back most likely which could lead to some interesting interaction. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of him joining.
Nov 30, 2011 4:45 PM
Jul 2011
Not sure about Zoro ... I'll tust oda about that! ^^

Nami has talent, she knows how to cruise in every situation not by direct experience, but because she is THAT good at it! Same said for Robin: besides her vast knowledge, she has a strong will and knows how to find her way out of her problems because of the situations she'd been through... but that is only one of her skills she shares with his new crew! They are on the same adventure to find the OP, realise their own dreams, and challenge the unknown ahead of them only by trusting their skills and their nakama's!
BTW, i'm not one of those who says Jinbei doesn't fit in into Luffy's crew because he appears too serious, or because his character is too different from that of the others ... I don't really believe the former has to be true, and about the latter, I don't think that might be a problem!
My problem with Jinbei is completely different! He know too much! It's not about skills/talents, it's freaking experience, is being old and strong enough to have already been into the NW, and talked with people who were in the "race for the OP", travelled from island to island, known their weather, the habits of their inhabitants! He just doesn't fit!

Moreover, he should have expressed his dream before getting the offer by Luffy, as it was with all other nakamas but Brook, who was asked to join definitely prematurely for laughs' sake! (and it was indeed pretty funny!)
Nov 30, 2011 5:32 PM

Mar 2008
Jinbei is too old. He's not unique like the rest (namely Frankie and Brooks). Calling rejection now.
Nov 30, 2011 5:47 PM

Nov 2011
Homestuck said:
I love Jinbei so much, but I have to agree...

Iunno it'd feel a little weird if he accepted.

But if anyone can make me like an idea it's Oda so...

we'll see :0
well so far when luffy asked some1 to join the crew they end up joining it and u can c that luffy ddin't ask vivi to join but who he asked so far has joined his crew like chopper,franky and brook
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 812 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

G_Spark233 - Jan 14, 2016

139 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 811 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2015

52 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 810 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2015

46 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
Yesterday, 9:01 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 809 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2015

69 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
Yesterday, 8:34 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 808 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2015

53 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
Yesterday, 8:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.