Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 24, 2011 2:01 AM

Oct 2011
I find that with some series, i get sort of depressed while watching, mostly with slice of life, romance etc . Not because the story is sad or anything but because the anime makes my life feel almost "inferior". I see these characters with amazing lives and amazing friends, watching all their laughter, pain, and experiences through a computer screen; it makes me feel like all these things are so far away from me. The worst part about is watching these characters live rich and meaningful lives while i sit in my room accomplishing nothing.

SwordPartyNov 24, 2011 11:59 AM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 24, 2011 2:06 AM

Mar 2009
No matter how amazing characters' lives are in some anime, they're not real. Besides, you can make your own life amazing.
Nov 24, 2011 2:19 AM

Sep 2011
Hm... depressed because the Anime was sad but not because I feel my life is inferior. Like the above poster said, they're not real. The only reason you feel your life is inferior is because you aren't doing your best to make your life more interesting for yourself. Go outside, have some fun! Take a little break from Anime and sky dive. (Yeah I can't guaranteed your safety)
Nov 24, 2011 2:22 AM

Oct 2009
I wouldn't say "depression" really, I've felt rather distraught from watching Anime, to the point my mood just completely dropped negatively. But depression is a very deep emotion, people use it too lightly.
Nov 24, 2011 2:44 AM

Oct 2011
AlexSadist-sama said:
No matter how amazing characters' lives are in some anime, they're not real. Besides, you can make your own life amazing.

of course i know their fictional characters haha, im just saying watching that makes me think about my own life

OriginANIME said:
Hm... depressed because the Anime was sad but not because I feel my life is inferior. Like the above poster said, they're not real. The only reason you feel your life is inferior is because you aren't doing your best to make your life more interesting for yourself. Go outside, have some fun! Take a little break from Anime and sky dive. (Yeah I can't guaranteed your safety)

I've been all over the world, traveling with friends and have experienced a lot of cool stuff and while it was fun, it didn't really hold any weight for me. so i know that type of therapy won't help anything
Nov 24, 2011 6:22 AM

Jul 2011
I watched School Days.. and after that I become insane+depressed :'(
Read my blogs and then you know how I feel now..

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Nov 24, 2011 6:44 AM

Jul 2010
Aoi Bungaku, the first arc
Nov 24, 2011 6:56 AM

Feb 2010
After She the Ultimate weapon. I felt like i had been left in hell to rot forever after that ending.
Nov 24, 2011 6:59 AM

Nov 2009
HotdogDragon said:

Fix'd!

Think before you post please!
Nov 24, 2011 7:01 AM

Oct 2010
Gaichi said:
I watched School Days.. and after that I become insane+depressed :'(

I know how you feel,

Watched the series last week, that was a bad decesion since i didn't feel that good before i saw it, and since then it became even worse...

Nov 24, 2011 7:34 AM

Apr 2011
I get depressed when I watch anime like that but it's more because I tend to get too into it and a sad story line always affects me and makes me feel down until it picks up.
Nov 24, 2011 8:06 AM

Dec 2010
Why can't I have a cute pettanko eyepatchy. Why. ;A;
Nov 24, 2011 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
your a little too into anime there swordparty, anyway no i don't, i hardly watch anime, just shippuuden sometimes, if people sit in their room and watch anime for hours on end, even if they enjoy it they will get depressed, cause their immersing themselves in a awesome/ perfect world that doesn't exist, and because of how much they watch it they will eventually start comparing it to the outside world, resulting in nothing but disappointment since anime life can be made to be perfect, and where real life definitely is not.
Tea and bickies with the Bold and the Beautiful
Nov 24, 2011 8:28 AM
Mar 2008
If you found a way you'd like to live your life, do it. You might look like a fool while doing so, but regret is a way far worse alternative.

I've gotten depressed after watching anime wich give off an overall aura of hopelessness, like: The Ultimate Weapon, Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei, Gunslinger Girl and Welcome to the NHK. Although, it wears off in one day.

As for being jealous of the life of an anime character, I've gotten jelous over Junpei of Ichigo 100%. I have to hand it to him, though. He might not have the looks or brains, but that pull up confession was genius, one of the best ever.
Nov 24, 2011 11:44 AM

Jul 2008
No, but I really want to. I envy you, guys.
Nov 24, 2011 11:45 AM

Mar 2009
Might get momentarily emotionally involved, but not depressed.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Nov 24, 2011 11:47 AM

Nov 2010
i am depressed, but it won't trigger because of anime. i do feel sad because of anime at times
Nov 24, 2011 11:55 AM

Aug 2008
AlexSadist-sama said:

Though some of them can or does happen, you can relate, no?

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Nov 24, 2011 11:56 AM

Oct 2011
ahhhhh now everyone thinks im a depressed neckbeard watching anime for hours in my dimly lit room filled with empty bags of doritos lol. i just get depressed sometimes while watching certain shows, it often fades away after an hour or if i start doing something else.
Nov 24, 2011 3:36 PM

Apr 2008
No, because I use anime as an escape, a means of relaxation, and a hobby. As happy as I am with my own life, I sometimes need to get away from the heaping piles of homework and responsibilities for a little while. I know what I'm watching is fiction, so why would I want to envy the lives of characters who technically don't exist?
Nov 24, 2011 4:52 PM

Jul 2010
No, I don't get depressed. I do I cry, when watching romances, because I can get emotionally attached to the story. But it's not like a dwell on it, it isn't real after all.
Nov 24, 2011 4:58 PM

Aug 2011
I felt totally down for several days after completing Welcome to the NHK. And I understand what you are trying to explain. I don't like it when an anime does the whole ''girl falls out of the sky'' situation, (like bakemonegatori, even though that is actually an awesome anime. It isn't realistic for a relationship to just fall out of the sky. And if you watch too many of those anime you start to hope that you''ll be like the protaganist of such a story, but life ain't that easy, and you really have to put effort into things like that.
Nov 25, 2011 2:27 AM

Sep 2011
a few years ago I was hospitalized for a couple of days for spontaneous pneumothorax. the very next day I got out, I watched 5 Centimeters Per Second. it hit pretty hard, but I love that movie to death.

but generally speaking, I don't usually get depressed watching anime. Clannad came pretty close with some of the philosophical standpoints that I agree with and their subsequent consequences. but otherwise, it takes a great pile of circumstance to knock me off my pedestal, akin to my previously stated lung collapse.

Nov 25, 2011 6:49 AM

Mar 2010
Depressed no, But I was a little sad for a few days after finishing Ano hi mita and Angel beats as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2011 10:48 AM

Nov 2009
If I've really enjoyed an anime and it comes towards the end of the series/movie then I get really depressed. Of course I can go back and re-watch it.. but it's not the same as when you watch it for the first time.
Dec 9, 2011 11:02 AM
Nov 2011
Clannad got me pretty depressed, minus the deus ex machina ending
Dec 9, 2011 12:37 PM

Sep 2011
i got depressed from 3 shows, clannad after story cause after episode 16 the show just kicks you while your down,

tokyo magnitude 8.0 because i can relate to what happens in the ending

and rahXephon has quite possibly the most depressing scene and quite possibly my favorite scene in anything ever in episode 19.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 9, 2011 12:49 PM

Jun 2011
I somethimes get down if a character I love dies or something... but it usually doesn't last long...
Dec 9, 2011 12:53 PM

Oct 2010
After every good anime watch comes to an end I get a little upset but never depressed
Dec 9, 2011 1:29 PM

Nov 2011
Well, if it does, it never lasts for long. Sometimes, I watch an anime and it leaves me thinking, but it never makes me super depressed or anything.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Dec 9, 2011 1:32 PM

Oct 2011
Sometimes. But usually after watching a sad anime like clannad or angel beats, I watch something funny after. Problem solved XD.
Dec 9, 2011 1:49 PM

Oct 2011
not really, maybe sad, but depressed? I'd punch myself in the face if I got depressed because of something that is not real.
Dec 9, 2011 4:09 PM

Apr 2011
I think it has happaned sometimes that I have envied certain people in animes but haven't really gotten depressed, that's for other reasons.
Like watching Elfen Lied.
Dec 9, 2011 4:29 PM

Jan 2011
Clannad and Eureka Seven depressed me a lot and so it kept me watching till the end.
Dec 10, 2011 1:31 AM

Mar 2009
I get what you mean. Only once, after finishing the first season of Spice and Wolf. I simply don't understand why I can't have a flirtatious wolf girl like Holo in my life. Fuck you, reality. FUCK YOU.
Dec 10, 2011 1:56 AM

Sep 2011
Depressed? No.

Melancholy? Absolutely.
Dec 10, 2011 2:10 AM

Dec 2009
Kimi nozo was the only one that caused a depressive period.
Graves of the fireflies and Les Miserables got me emotionally sad.
Dec 10, 2011 5:15 AM
Dec 2011
well of course i will get depressed.
if u wont get depressed , then why u watch anime? tell me...
Jan 3, 2012 2:25 PM

Mar 2010
While watching Shuffle!!.
Kiss me. Experience the sweet sweet taste of heaven.
Jan 5, 2012 12:58 AM
Jan 2012
Lol, I just finished Kaichou Wa Maid Sama which is a really great anime but now I feel sooooo depressed. WHY WHY WHY?!?!? Lol...as previously stated...its not because it's sad, and not because I feel inferior. I just wish shit worked out like in anime (haha I know it's not real.) On a final note...nothing pisses me off more than a great show with only 1 season...damnit!!!!!
Jan 5, 2012 1:28 AM

Jan 2011
Maybe you're mixing up "depressed" with jealousy?

I get jealous sometimes watching these shows where these kids get to have an awesome adventure or do something incredible!

I of course don't let myself be sad about it... I mean, when I was a little kid I cried so many times because Pokemon weren't actually real (yes I had a ... sad childhood).
I don't do that anymore (thank god!), but just being able to separate yourself from reality and fiction is what we have to work on!
Lol, not that I should be lecturing, since I manage to find anime-related things in everyday life and constantly think "it would be SO cool if...(anime something)"

I DO however become very attached to certain characters in shows and find ways to relate it to myself. And when those characters suffer it makes me sad FOR them, it doesn't necessarily make me suffer... is that what you mean by getting "depressed while watching certain shows"?
Jan 5, 2012 1:53 AM

Jun 2010
Like Serenity said sometimes i might get jealous like why don't i get to do any of this stuff or I wish my friends were like this but I never really got depressed over it. I guess i'm envious.
Jan 5, 2012 2:19 AM

Oct 2011
depressed, no, sad, yes - the thing is i love heartbreaking anime/manga, so i find this very enjoyable - nothing beats a good tragedy/doomed romance that brings tears to my eyes - i guess i'm just a life-long goth..............
Jan 5, 2012 7:36 AM

Jan 2011
Casshern Sins was depressing. I know most of slice of life intend to make people sob but never felt deppressed until I watched Casshern, that feeling of loneliness and sorrow, it took me months to complete just because I didnt look forward to that feeling altho it was a great series.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader..
Jan 5, 2012 9:56 AM

Jun 2009
the closest i've gotten to being VERY depressed from an anime was the last episode of rumbling hearts.

other than that, not completely, just something along the lines of being melancholic and/or unhappy because of either an even in a show or if the anime was hopeless to begin with (casshern sins and texhnolyze for example).
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Jan 5, 2012 10:01 AM

Nov 2011
I do - but because there´s sometimes a depressive atmosphere in the anime I´m watching :D
Jan 5, 2012 10:19 AM

Sep 2011
Not really.
Jan 5, 2012 10:31 AM

Jan 2012
I sometimes get that too, OP its ok lol

Yeah, mostly when romance is thrown into my animes I feel ronery xD

But what really makes me sad is when I finish an anime and theres still more to the story and I have to wait I dont know how long for the next season.
Jan 5, 2012 10:56 AM

Dec 2011
I get kind of depressed after I finish any anime. Kind of like I'm no longer involved with their story anymore. Kind of saddening to me.

But I'm finding that the time I remain depressed after each anime is slowly decreasing.. Unless the series ended on a sad note.

Ohhh... @nitrobeast.. Who the heck is OP?]/b]
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2012 11:06 AM

Dec 2011
Soul Eater ending gave me a bout of depression for about a week.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

23 by Toooooooooohru »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
10 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

8 by mizukasa »»
11 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

3 by LostSpectre »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.