Forum Settings
Forums

Is anime distracting you from the pop culture in your own country?

New
Oct 26, 2011 11:36 PM

Aug 2009
Yes, I have to admit, for the past year or so, I have not been watching regular television. I sometimes turn on the Television and look for a good show on demand and watch it, or a movie on tv. But I never watch reguluraly and I have not been able to understand refrences to a lot of things people talk about that have to do with pop culture( You know, American Idol, Jersey Shore, all that crap? and other things on Tv like football?). Do any of you guys have the same problem, or have you been keeping up to date with pop culture?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 26, 2011 11:42 PM
Aug 2011
I've got the exact same problem. I have stopped watching TV regularly for a year now and I don't know anything about what my friends are discussing. I only open my TV when i go to bed and when there is a sports match or a good movie.
At least, I don't feel sad about it, since the quality of TV is below average and the majority of the shows and series are crappy
Oct 26, 2011 11:42 PM

Sep 2008
American TV isn't that good in general, aside from a few niche shows here and there, most of the popular stuff everyone and their mother talks about is generic crap that I rather not be bothered with anyway...
Oct 26, 2011 11:45 PM

Aug 2008
Let's see. Aside from watching anime...

* I go to the gym.

* I watch the NFL.
Heck, I am running the fantasy league with a bunch of assholes from this site:
http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/standings?leagueId=365075

LOLOLOL. I fell 3rd overall, but I still intend on winning. Bwahahahahaha XD

* I run miles and miles and miles - to prepare for road races. Anything from 5 kilometers to full marathons (42 km).

* I started playing hipster-disc (ultimate frisbee) this year.

* Once in a while, I play board games with friends. They've gotten into this kind of play lately. It's been fun too.

* I have been hanging around a Chicago area Japanese mahjong club on a weekly basis. Here, I do blame some anime for getting me started on the game. But, I really do like it.

* I go to church regularly - and do volunteer work associated with that church too.

* I get my dose of politics every weekday - roughly 15 minutes to 2 hours, listening via my car radio on the drive home.

As for American TV -- garbage. There hasn't been anything good on TV for the past 5 years or so. Same thing with Hollywood movies. All crap. Although, I'm starting to tune more to Turner Classic Movies for some reason lately. History and Science Channels - I still tune in to those from time-to-time. Else, my TV is normally on ESPN.

Video games. Actually, I have considerably cut down here. I'm happy enough playing Tetris over and over.
KyuuALOct 26, 2011 11:48 PM
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Oct 26, 2011 11:45 PM

Aug 2009
poopyman said:
I've got the exact same problem. I have stopped watching TV regularly for a year now and I don't know anything about what my friends are discussing. I only open my TV when i go to bed and when there is a sports match or a good movie.
At least, I don't feel sad about it, since the quality of TV is below average and the majority of the shows and series are crappy

I agree, about most of the shows being good, but its so weird talking to people about something you really don' t know about.
Oct 26, 2011 11:48 PM
Oct 26, 2011 11:49 PM

Aug 2008
DrewTheDoofus said:
No because I don't watch anime.
Then WTF are you doing here?
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Oct 26, 2011 11:50 PM

Jun 2011
KyuuAL said:
DrewTheDoofus said:
No because I don't watch anime.
Then WTF are you doing here?

TheDude brought me here because he watched a shit ton of anime or something. I only watch occasional shit. I think the last one I watched was Panty and Stocking.

Jan 2011
I've never been that into pop culture in general, but I have noticed in the past year since I've really gotten into anime I've been less inclined to watch what TV I did enjoy to watch. When I do end up watching one of the few shows I try to follow, I find it kind of...annoying? That's probably not the right word for it, but I'm definitely conditioned towards anime.

Also I've noticed that I hate most pop music. That might not be attributed to anime, though, as I do listen to lots of less popular "indie" music.
Fingerfood.png Fingerfood.png
Feb 2010
No.

Seriously, why would I give up watching American TV just to see more magical girl shows and harems? I'd much rather watch Burn Notice than whatever the hell is the top rated anime that's airing right now. Looking at the Fall 2011 picture that has all of the shows listed, just by looking at the thumbnails I can rule out almost all of shows as stuff that involves high school and middle school kids, card games, harems, and other drivel. The only shows I would even be remotely interested in watching are Lupin III and Fate Zero.
Oct 26, 2011 11:52 PM

Dec 2009
I haven't actually watched T.V for like 3 years now, well with the exception of watching T.V. during dinner or lunch time with my family and it hasn't affected me that much. My family usually watches the Chinese channels anyways, and I'm not really into the dramas anymore, so I couldn't care less about it. Besides if I really wanted to watch something "pop culture" related, I could just find it online.
Oct 26, 2011 11:53 PM

Jun 2011
Davyu said:
I haven't actually watched T.V for like 3 years now, well with the exception of watching T.V. during dinner or lunch time with my family and it hasn't affected me that much. My family usually watches the Chinese channels anyways, and I'm not really into the dramas anymore, so I couldn't care less about it. Besides if I really wanted to watch something "pop culture" related, I could just find it online.

I didn't know it was possible to get tired of 3 kingdoms and Tang Taizong.
Oct 26, 2011 11:56 PM

Aug 2009
nerb said:
No.

Seriously, why would I give up watching American TV just to see more magical girl shows and harems? I'd much rather watch Burn Notice than whatever the hell is the top rated anime that's airing right now. Looking at the Fall 2011 picture that has all of the shows listed, just by looking at the thumbnails I can rule out almost all of shows as stuff that involves high school and middle school kids, card games, harems, and other drivel. The only shows I would even be remotely interested in watching are Lupin III and Fate Zero.

Aren't there plenty of other shows made before this year that are good anime for you to watch?
Oct 27, 2011 12:02 AM

Jun 2008
As stated in my profile......my #1 hobby/passion is NOT anime but Sports.

That includes:

Watching sports, playing sports, attending sporting events, collecting sports memorabilia, and having a superiority complex about sports trivia.

Anime is actually my "getaway" from sports....and sports is my getaway from real life....so there you go.
Oct 27, 2011 12:11 AM
Jul 2011
THough I love to spend hours watching anime I still manage to find time for NHL and reading.
Oct 27, 2011 12:33 AM

Sep 2008
I've definitely fallen out of watching American TV shows even though I used to be an avid watcher of all the most popular shows up to a couple years ago. The problem is since I've started watching anime, I've never taken the time to try to find new good TV shows to watch, and all of the "staple" shows I was following for years (House, The Office, Supernatural, Lost, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) either ended or simply lost my interest at some point, with not much to replace them.

Right now the only TV series I'm still interested in are Fringe and Game of Thrones, though watching the endless stream of new anime shows still takes first priority when choosing between the two.
Oct 27, 2011 12:43 AM

Oct 2011
well in canada, you gotta know your hockey, and i'm definitely good for that. Family guy and simpsons sucks now... so your not going to talk about that. I didn't even watch anime in high school, yet I had no clue what the hell my friends were talking about when they talking about halo and south park. I can keep up with it a little, but if I know it's stupid i'm not going to force myself to watch just so I understand a conversation for 2min.
Oct 27, 2011 1:24 AM

Aug 2008
Speaking of the Simpsons -- I heard this series is ending.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/06/the-simpsons-next-season-last_n_998418.html

And thank goodness.

article said:
The Daily Beast reported Monday that the actors were facing a 45% cut from their $440,000 per episode salary, which would take them down from $8 million to just over $4 million

Come to think of it: what's the average salary of a Japanese voice actor?

Oct 27, 2011 1:27 AM

May 2010
Well in my country there's nothing good on TV and this is not an exaggeration but a fact. I stopped watching TV somewhere around high-school (6-7 years ago maybe) with the exception of stuff like Animal Planet, Discovery and VH1 Classic. I also don't look at movies in general since I am pretentious and I find most of the stuff that comes out to be garbage.

edit: Soccer is a big deal here but I never liked it. I was the only boy in high-school and college that didn't have a clue about this sport. I also don't look at X-Factor, Romanians have talent or any other crappy show that we borrow from the rest of the planet.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Oct 27, 2011 1:31 AM

Aug 2010
The only thing i watch on TV are stuff like ''How it's made'', ''Dirty Jobs'', and other various no-plot-just-information show.

I don't watch anime this much either, but much more than TV at least.
Oct 27, 2011 1:34 AM

Mar 2009
I don't watch television at all and it's rare for me to.
Oct 27, 2011 1:40 AM

Sep 2011
Well the 'pop culture' in my country is practically non-existent(we don't make much of our own shows/movies/tv series at all, it's all from other countries) so no it's not distracting me from what few shitty it does produce.
Oct 27, 2011 6:54 AM

Nov 2008
Pop Culture in America is poopie, and CD-i status and not worth it for the most part, I prefer shows from other countries not just Japan but Britain, Australia, Korea, and Taiwan as well.

Oct 27, 2011 7:22 AM

Jun 2011
German shows are mediocre at best in my country(Austria) and that's why I stopped watching altogether the local TV stations. The only things that are worth watching are pretty old(around the 60's~80's) and those shows/movies/programs aren't showed that often sadly :/
So yes, Anime is pretty much distracting me from the pop culture in my country(especially from music, German music is terrible with few exceptions).
Oct 27, 2011 8:48 AM
Feb 2010
dakotasapphire said:
Aren't there plenty of other shows made before this year that are good anime for you to watch?
Yes, but it's rare enough for me to find one anime at a time that I'm willing to watch. This present trend towards things I dislike means that there will be even less to watch in the future.
Oct 27, 2011 9:19 AM

Oct 2011
When my mind is good, which it isn't right now.

Because I hate most of the pop culture that comes out of this country. Our commercials are most often quite annoying. Even the beloved ones get on my nerves. Like the stupid Old Spice commercials that have become an internet meme.

I'm also, as has been pretty obvious, not ever been a huge fan of domestic video games. I do like the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series, especially the older ones. And a few others. But I don't like the status quo of what's put into games in this country at all. Just like it's popular among some people to hate "androgynous" leads in jRPGs, or cutesy material in general(and nobody calls them out on it, and calls them shallow, ignorant, retarded, or so on or so forth), I can't stand macho lead characters and testosterone all over the place. And to be honest, there's so many video games out there, just like with ever media, like with anime, you have to do what immediately interests you first. Doing things you don't like to appease is for work. It's what you do to earn what you like. Me, I'm a nostalgic retro-gamer and import gamer most heavily. I love Nintendo, jRPGs, Fighting games, 2D, third person perspective, Japanese style "realistic" CG designs/aesthetics, anime designs(I'm on an anime site!), and importing Japanese titles is an expensive luxury worth the money. They're unparalleled treasures for me. I own a Japanese 3DS and the Japanese version of Tales of the Abyss. And that costed me far more money than the Western AAA titles. Because you know why? Those are a throw-away to me. Tales of the Abyss is worth 80 dollars, it is a treasure.

There's just nothing like, the feeling of playing the original Japanese version of something. That feeling, when you get something wrapped in Japanese characters in the mail, and you try reading them. And you open it slowly. And you knew you have a forbidden treasure of another country that isn't sold to you in your local stores. Isn't what your stupid TV and advertizing shoved down your throat. And it a cute little esoteric escape from those things. And is something you wanted since you were a child but couldn't have, because by 11 you barely had dial up internet, the stores never even had Chrono Trigger in stock, and you were lucky to even find the most mainstream jRPGs and afford them, when you would skip out on lunch because your parents couldn't afford and didn't want to ever buy you those games you like. When you would look at gaming magazines that would occasionally show rare Japanese titles, and drool. When the most exciting thing you do on your first Windows 95 or 98 computer, is emulate Super Nintendo games. And find, that you can even play a Tenchi Muyo RPG.

I only wish I could be proud of what I like and get away with it. Instead, in order to get along, it looks as if I'll need to keep it to myself. I'm in a minority, and most people won't respect me for being an import gaming enthusiast. Not even the moderators on this site.

So yeah, anime isn't really distracting me from the pop culture of my own country, I'm avoiding it on purpose. Who cares? It's just pop culture. People shouldn't care what pop culture you like. Even though they seem to. I've always been told it's okay to like whatever media you want to, as long as you have pride in yourself and your culture and you don't want to take part in another one or move from where you live.
Not crazy.
Oct 27, 2011 9:25 AM

Feb 2009
Actually, I just cancelled my cable TV service because frankly it's shit, shit all day long. 100s of channels of shit in bundles I don't get to choose.

Switched to Netflix. Because I get to decide what I am going to watch damn it. And when I want to watch it too.

I like a number of shows not remotely connected to anime. I am just not planning to watch them like a good little money source.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Oct 27, 2011 9:26 AM

Aug 2009
Every form of entertainment in our country is either recycled or plain crap, it's once in a blue moon that something interesting would come out of our local tv stations except for news. BTW I'm from the Philippines.

Oct 27, 2011 10:04 AM

Feb 2005
Norway doesn't have any pop culture worth looking out for. There are some brilliant comedians that make some great series now and then and maybe there will be a movie worth watching every other year or so, but overall, our entertainment industry really sucks.

England and America do produce some great entertainment now and then though, some of which easily sends nearly every anime straight to the bottom of the sea like a wing of fighter bombers dropping a oversized battleship.
But I don't know whether stuff like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Archer or Community is considered pop culture. Probably not so much.
Oct 27, 2011 10:17 AM

Dec 2010
I listen to certain American rappers. I have to admit, they aren't bad as some of the more 'popular' rappers. Though sometimes the songs can really grit against someone's nerves.

As for the pop culture in general, I'm honestly more interested in my spiritual motherland of Germany then both Japan and America combined.
Oct 27, 2011 10:20 AM

Aug 2008
US shows are all either mindless comedy or detective shows. Bleh, no interest in them whatsoever. I do watch The Simpsons and The Office from time to time, though. As for American pop culture, good god, don't get me started.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Oct 27, 2011 10:42 AM
Apr 2009
I have NEVER consistently watched TV... and I mean literally never. As a child my parents were controlling of the TV, and pretty much the only stuff we ever were allowed to watch were some Saturday cartoons... but they were generally pointless, so I did other stuff unless I was really bored. I have since moved out, and while I have an LCD screen for gaming, it does not have an antenna to receive TV signals. Thus, I don't own a TV, and I have no interest in owning it. I have never had cable... etc. Sometimes when I visit my family they will be watching something, but I usually get bored quickly. I also had this roommate who would always have his TV on (he said he needed the noise?) I do like some comedy series like Futurama and South Park, but I just watch those online. I also do like some older shows like Perry Mason... :\ Black and White...
Oct 27, 2011 10:50 AM

Jun 2008
Baman said:
Norway doesn't have any pop culture worth looking out for. There are some brilliant comedians that make some great series now and then and maybe there will be a movie worth watching every other year or so, but overall, our entertainment industry really sucks.

England and America do produce some great entertainment now and then though, some of which easily sends nearly every anime straight to the bottom of the sea like a wing of fighter bombers dropping a oversized battleship.
But I don't know whether stuff like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Archer or Community is considered pop culture. Probably not so much.

Yeah watching on TV only the series you like isn't helping you keep up with the pop culture at all. TV series are just stories like anime are.

Anyway no keeping up with whatever TV pop culture exist isn't exactly a bad thing now our days. TV is full of brain cell killing shit and brainwashing. You actually keep your brain cleaner and more open minded.
MonadOct 27, 2011 11:31 AM
Oct 27, 2011 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
Well I never liked the pop culture of my country, so there isn't any problem XD
Oct 27, 2011 11:24 AM

Oct 2011
SergioSource said:
Well I never liked the pop culture of my country, so there isn't any problem XD

Hey, at least your pop culture isn't a part of the Anglosphere or the United States of America.

The most dominant and culturally imperialistic pop culture in the world.
Not crazy.
Oct 27, 2011 12:19 PM

Apr 2008
Baman said:

Canada is pretty much the same for me. I think Canada has a lot of great comedians, but after watching shit like Cyberbully... I can definitely say that Canada isn't worth shit all when it comes to anything else. I mean hell, looking through a list of Canadian movies I'm barely familiar with any of it and the ones I've had seen are absolute shit or mediocre. I also can't think of any Canadian musician I was ever particularly fond of either. Though Canada does have some pretty good actors, though.

Dunno bout you, but in Canada they actually have laws that force radio stations and TV networks to play at least some percentage of Canadian stuff. Canada is pretty uptight about maintaining their culture it seems. Heh.

When it comes to storytelling, I tend to be more favorable of American, British, Italian and Japanese writing. IMO, those 4 have some of the best film industries in the world and have all spewed out some terrific movies. Honorable mentions go to France and Russia as well.
Oct 27, 2011 1:22 PM

Apr 2007
since when is not watching tv a problem, especially jersey shore for that matter? instead of pop culture, you should be more worried about not reading the news
Oct 27, 2011 1:27 PM

Jul 2011
I keep track of anime, pop culture, and the news.
Oct 27, 2011 1:35 PM

Jun 2011
Pop culture don't really interest me and anime is only a little side hobby for me, but i do occasionally check up on a story or two.

Schoolwork and studying is taking up about 70% of my life right now..
Oct 27, 2011 1:49 PM

Aug 2008
Sukunai said:
Switched to Netflix. Because I get to decide what I am going to watch damn it. And when I want to watch it too.

Sadly, Netflix is heading downward.

Oct 27, 2011 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
It distracts me so much I don't even know if my country has a pop culture.
Oct 27, 2011 2:04 PM

Feb 2011
Well pop culture IS shit in general. I find nothing but crime dramas and singing contests like X factor. So I don't really care, anime replaces my TV 90% of the time

The only interesting thing I'm watching atm is Mythbuster, Man vs Wild and Top Gear and 5th gear. What happened to the good old days when I could continously waste my life away on TV?
Oct 27, 2011 2:15 PM

Jan 2010
I don't have that problem.
I mean sure the only thing I really watch on TV is the news, but I download alot of TV shows.

Anime isn't everything. You won't find sitcoms like HIMYM in anime. It wouldn't work.
Oct 27, 2011 2:23 PM

Aug 2008
Other things distract me away from anime. :3

Oct 27, 2011 2:36 PM

Jan 2010
No, I don't think it does. It definitely doesn't actually. I haven't even watched any anime for the last five or six months.

What distracts me from pop culture is my ignorance.
Oct 27, 2011 2:44 PM

Dec 2009
Not really. As much anime as I watch, I still find time for regular TV, movies, and other things.
Oct 27, 2011 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
It did for the year or so I spent watching only anime, but now I just watch some airing shows so it doesn't anymore.
Oct 27, 2011 2:53 PM
Aug 2011
Completely. I'm from Brazil, and tv stuff here usually sucks, badly. I'm completely alienated from, partly because of anime.
Oct 27, 2011 2:55 PM

Aug 2011
Nope. Animes been eating away at my time, besides, north american television isn't great anyway
Oct 27, 2011 3:13 PM

Sep 2008
I spend way too much time keeping up with shows, games and anime, there isn't much time for my other hobbies. There isn't much on basic cable, and the few shows I feel the need to keep up with weekly usually end up coming out at the end of the week anyway. I don't watch much besides what's airing on Stars, HBO, Showtime, AMC and FX but lately I've been looking to other countries for my fix when I'm not looking up shows I might have missed years ago. I mainly go for British and Australian shows, since besides heavy accents there's no language barrier. I might get into those Chinese historical dramas if they ever bothered to air them with subs, I'm sure not about to go out of my way to download them.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.