Forum Settings
Forums

Girls watching "guy" anime and Guys watching "girls" anime

New
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Nov 8, 2011 2:55 AM

Mar 2008
Ok, so the purpose of this thread is for people to realize the general misconception that the action-themed shounen anime is for guys and the relationship-themed shojo anime is for girls, and people from either gender would dislike the genre for the opposite gender. Instead of for people to realize this idea that is untrue, why not correct this untrue idea that many people seem to have?

Personally, I wonder why do so many people think that girls don't like action, mecha, violence, dark-themed anime? I love the shounen genre, and I go *0* at these kinds of themes, not the other way around. Haven't people start to realize that many of the girls who posted here said that they rather preferred the shounen genre more than the shojo genre, and guys here said they liked to watch shojo anime? But people still think that the targeted audience of the cute, mussy, sweet, lovey-dovey, so-called "girly" anime are just girls. It's the opposite way around. This is a huge stereotype and misunderstanding.

All in all, we should not categorize people on what they like to watch along the gender line. There might have been less controversies if anime were not categorized along the gender line. People like to watch what they like to watch. If something is targeted at a certain group of people, that doesn't mean there aren't other groups of people who might also like it. If a girl likes to watch action-oriented anime, or if a guy likes to watch relationship-oriented anime, so be it. There is nothing super special or unique about it.

At last, it still came down to the universally ultimate gender-discussion, which is, unavoidable, for there exists two genders. *sighs*
nau-yNov 8, 2011 3:43 AM
Nov 8, 2011 7:34 AM

Sep 2011
lisnoire said:
FroZen109 said:
dont you reckon madoka is aimed more at males because of the violence and dark themes

i dont really think this its just i was in a similar discussion like this and this came up
Most likely. Can't say for sure because I am one of the few mutants who didn't care for it and dropped it.

Madoka is aimed at males and lures them with the power of moe.
Nov 8, 2011 9:43 AM

Sep 2011
I'mma girl. c:
Deadman Wonderland
Highschool of the Dead
11eyes (I REGRET watching that. -___-)
Shiki
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Kuroshitsuji (I need to get back to waching that :x)
Pandora Hearts

& I have like, a ton of others to watch ;D
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
Nov 8, 2011 11:02 AM

Oct 2011
Motion_Menace said:
lisnoire said:
FroZen109 said:
dont you reckon madoka is aimed more at males because of the violence and dark themes

i dont really think this its just i was in a similar discussion like this and this came up
Most likely. Can't say for sure because I am one of the few mutants who didn't care for it and dropped it.

Madoka is aimed at males and lures them with the power of moe.

Wasn't true for me. I didn't give a crap about the characters until they start getting butchered in bizarre ways, what made me like the series was the sic-fi twists and conclusion; although the cute 2D girlies are definitely a plus, it isn't the core of the show.

nau-y said:
Personally, I wonder why do so many people think that girls don't like action, mecha, violence, dark-themed anime? I love the shounen genre, and I go *0* at these kinds of themes, not the other way around. Haven't people start to realize that many of the girls who posted here said that they rather preferred the shounen genre more than the shojo genre, and guys here said they liked to watch shojo anime? But people still think that the targeted audience of the cute, mussy, sweet, lovey-dovey, so-called "girly" anime are just girls. It's the opposite way around. This is a huge stereotype and misunderstanding.

Traditional societal gender roles is what you're up against. It's been prevalent in the majority of world civilizations for pretty much as long as we've been ... 'civilized'. I can go on and on about the beginning or causes for gender inequality but you'd much rather take a course on political philosophy if you're interested. The point is, culture grows on people and gets passed down generationally; usually what you see when you're a kid until a young adult will likely influence you for the rest of your life. Mangekas and writers in general are no exception, they don't always write stories you like just because you're a targeted demographic, they write stories they *think* you'll like, 'because' of the correlation between past demographic data and cultural values, which is usually the 'safest' way to go. Not everyone can be a revolutionary. So while this point of view may change overtime, it certainly won't overnight.
ideoidiomNov 8, 2011 12:43 PM
Nov 8, 2011 11:05 AM

Mar 2009
nau-y said:
Ok, so the purpose of this thread is for people to realize the general misconception that the action-themed shounen anime is for guys and the relationship-themed shojo anime is for girls, and people from either gender would dislike the genre for the opposite gender. Instead of for people to realize this idea that is untrue, why not correct this untrue idea that many people seem to have?

All in all, we should not categorize people on what they like to watch along the gender line. There might have been less controversies if anime were not categorized along the gender line. People like to watch what they like to watch. If something is targeted at a certain group of people, that doesn't mean there aren't other groups of people who might also like it. If a girl likes to watch action-oriented anime, or if a guy likes to watch relationship-oriented anime, so be it. There is nothing super special or unique about it.

At last, it still came down to the universally ultimate gender-discussion, which is, unavoidable, for there exists two genders. *sighs*
The primary purpose of this is thread is to have some fun and perhaps realize something about ourselves.

Why should we try to "correct" what people find enjoyable. Some will ignore gender barriers and some won't. I also find it interesting to see what people perceive as guy stuff and girl stuff.

You will find the majority of anime I rate 8 and above were originally targeted at a male demographic but not exclusively so. It is certainly my observation that more girls are open to "guy" anime than guys are open to "girly" anime.

More secure a person is about who they really are, the more willing they are to cross the superficial gender lines the industry still draws for marketing purposes.

Actually, I do think it is kind of special when folks do cross those lines but, at the same time, there is nothing wrong with boys liking actiony shounen stuff and girls liking cute fluffy, flower stuff (shudder.) Thankfully, more folk of either gender are talking about it and that is what will eventually temper stereotypical assumptions. It still seems that more guys shy away from Shoujo and Josie or won't admit liking it. (Major kudos to those who do.)
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Nov 8, 2011 12:38 PM

Nov 2009
I'm a guy, I tend to prefer "girls" anime instead of "guys", although I'm not 100% sure about whether some on the list below are actually aimed for males since it's hard to tell. I'm also not sure if yuri series are aimed at guys, but I'm going to include them on my list anyway.

Chihayafuru
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
Aoi Hana
Candy Boy
Clannad
ef - a tale of memories.
Fruits Basket
Hanasaku Iroha
Honey And Clover
Kaichou wa Maid-Sama
Kanon
Kashimashi
Kimi Ni Todoke
Koi Kaze
Lamune
Lovely Complex
Maria-sama ga miteru
Nana
Nodame Cantabile
Ouran High School Host Club
Paradise Kiss
Sasameki Koto
School Rumble
Strawberry Panic
Tamayura
Toradora
True Tears
Usagi Drop
Nov 8, 2011 12:41 PM

Oct 2011
Not gonna bother listing, but over three quarters are aimed at guys or both.
Nov 8, 2011 12:54 PM

Jul 2010
I dont rly see a reason for seperating anime into "guys" and "girls"...its kinda weird for me when you define "girly" anime as the emotional ones. i mean guys have emotions, too, dont they?O_o
Nov 8, 2011 1:41 PM

Oct 2011
shiroto said:
I dont rly see a reason for seperating anime into "guys" and "girls"...its kinda weird for me when you define "girly" anime as the emotional ones. i mean guys have emotions, too, dont they?O_o

Exactly. If you draw the line between male and female oriented shows by romance, it'd be like saying we aren't capable of affection. That's like believing that men are all instinctual sexaholics. (._.)
In any case, there definitely are additional filters other than the need to 'guard our masculinity', the question is: what.
Is it only at the presence of certain themes that are considered taboo to male and female respectively? Such as the how guys can't stand the yaoi or, coversely, yuri for the girls? In which case I think we need to discuss just what that 'taboo' really is, otherwise we'd just be indiscriminately listing our favorite shows, of which all fall under the 'gray area'.
Thoughts?
ideoidiomNov 8, 2011 2:28 PM
Nov 8, 2011 2:20 PM

Mar 2009
ideoidiom said:
shiroto said:

Exactly. If you draw the line between male and female oriented shows by romance, it'd be like saying we aren't capable of affection. That's like believing that all instinctual sexaholics. (._.)
In any case, there definitely are additional filters other than the need to 'guard our masculinity', the question is: what.
Is it only at the presence of certain themes that are considered taboo to male and female respectively? Such as the how guys can't stand the yaoi or, coversely, yuri for the girls? In which case I think we need to discuss just what that 'taboo' really is, otherwise we'd just be indiscriminately listing our favorite shows, of which all fall under the 'gray area'.
Thoughts?
Yeah!!! Finally questioning stereotypes and taboos.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Nov 8, 2011 2:27 PM

Oct 2011
I thought that whenever I brought up this topic, people's innocent little feelies get hurt, threads explode, and armageddon befalls until mods intervene and exorcise all that is hurtful and assures us that everybody is perfect.
Nov 8, 2011 2:31 PM
Apr 2011
I am a guy with no emotions, non at all, but I watch "girly" anime some times because the story is good. If the story is good the main characters are nicely done then I will watch it.
Nov 8, 2011 2:33 PM

Oct 2011
bassa_x said:
I am a guy with no emotions, non at all, but I watch "girly" anime some times because the story is good. If the story is good the main characters are nicely done then I will watch it.

Bro you just contradicted yourself by saying a story is 'good'.
Nov 8, 2011 6:11 PM

Nov 2010
lisnoire said:
ideoidiom said:
shiroto said:

Exactly. If you draw the line between male and female oriented shows by romance, it'd be like saying we aren't capable of affection. That's like believing that all instinctual sexaholics. (._.)
Thoughts?
Yeah!!! Finally questioning stereotypes and taboos.

indeed haha, not that i was insulted or anything but because i recomended a lot of romance anime (AND started to make a list to make it easier for people) some people tought i was a woman ^^
but i think it's because i grew up with women that i got a softer side hahaha :D
but still think most people watch the shows because they like the Synopsis, not because it's targeted at (if we all should do that we should all stay clear of shounen/shoujo anime and start watching seinen/josei.

take usagi drops for example, if you can find anybody who think the show sucks (for other reasons then that THEY tought it was boring) i think i'm going to eat my shoe (and his/hers)

but love this topic hehe (and glad the trolls didn't move from under the MAL bridge)
Nov 8, 2011 7:01 PM

Oct 2011
*Waits for that one courageous person to break the mold*
Nov 8, 2011 7:58 PM

Feb 2008
I had a similar discussion on a different forum some time ago, difference between demographics was the subject and it didn't go that well. In my perspective demographics shouldn't be related to genres at all, that's what most people get stuck in a rut about. Shoujo/josei shows can also be action packed with plenty of other themes involved other than romance. Take Higashi no Eden for example which is labeled as a josei anime, it's demographics would suggest that women in their 20s would be the only ones interested in it if people didn't "overstep the boundaries" of demographic classification. In reality, pretty much everyone watched it regardless of gender and even age. Same for Revolutionary Girl Utena, despite of it being a shoujo show targeted primarily at 15 year old girls, it's one of the most mature and classy pieces of anime fiction I've ever watched.

So that I wouldn't get too much off topic, I'll mention a few shoujo/josei shows I quite enjoyed watching:

Rose of Versailles
Honey and Clover
Natsume Yuujinchou
Fruits Basket
Kare Kano
Ayashi no Ceres
Cardcaptor Sakura
Kaleido Star
Nodame Cantabile
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Lovely Complex
Ouran High School Host Club
etc.

Nov 8, 2011 8:27 PM

Apr 2010
I watch shoujou anime all the time. Pretty normal for me..

Nov 8, 2011 9:02 PM

Oct 2011
See, there's a huge flaw in the logic of assigning a show a demographic. When someone attach a demographic to a show, it never means that that show is 'exclusively' for that audience -- that much is obvious. I don't actually know the process behind databases such as MAL or ANN in assigning tags, but I can guess.

First case: it is 'guessed' based on the content of the show through a group of people with 'expertise' in the field.
Problem: you don't just 'grow up' overnight, there are without a doubt elements in the show that viewers can relate to or are generally interested in from all age groups. Also, by differentiating between sexes, they are basically taking cultural stereotypes and *inconclusive* behavioral psyche research into consideration, of which, again, does not apply to all of both sexes.

Second Case: they do market research via methods such as surveys and study groups (from the top of my head). If done any decently, it should reflect interests from all different age groups -- some more than others.
Problem: The best they can do with this data in terms of demographic assignment is to group it with the highest percentile. At any rate, it won't be conclusive, and the numbers tend to be all over the place. At best it'll be the 'closest' thing. Kind of like a party running the country despite being a minority government.

People have the capacity to overlook things they don't like if they can appreciate the larger picture -- although, this tolerance only extends so far. Which is why it's more important to identify these 'taboos' because they simply apply to a much, much wider percentile and has the ability to divide viewers in a way that the 'gray area' (in other worlds, mainstream themes) can't.
ideoidiomNov 8, 2011 9:08 PM
Nov 14, 2011 8:49 PM
Nov 2011
I don't really care if the anime is made for girls or guys. The weird thing is, I'm kinda the same way about music..... If it sounds, good to me, I'll listen to it. O.O
Nov 14, 2011 11:01 PM

Apr 2011
How do you define girl shows?
shows aimed at girls ... like Ouran Host Club?
I loved Ouran so I'm gonna say yeah... I'm a male & I like girly shows o.o
Nov 14, 2011 11:19 PM

Jun 2008
I wonder are moeblob shows with girls like K-ON! considered guy shows or girl shows?

What about shows that just have cutesy like Working!.

Also are more senien style shows suppose to be guy shows? I never got that impression. Or does it depends on whether the protagonist is male or female? Aren't such shows for both genders?
Many anime that get the shounen title don't seem to be strictly guy shows ether. Many put Death Note for example as shounen(although i think is more senien), but isn't that show mutually interesting to both genders? Bakuman too. Why would a girl not enjoy Bakuman? What exactly does it have that makes it a guy show? Or is it simply because the main isn't a female?
Nov 17, 2011 12:11 AM
Nov 2011
I'm a guy and I liked:

Clannad (and afterstory)
Kimi ni Todoke (and Season 2)
Shakugan no Shana (watching third season)
Toradora
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
AnoHana
Amagami SS
Nov 17, 2011 12:22 AM

Jul 2011
I have pretty limited experience with anime, but for the most really if I can relate to some element of a character/show, generally I'll consider watching, or continue watching. So really I'm up for trying a little bit of anything, and then see where I end up later.

As of right now I've enjoyed Kannon 2006, and Clannad/Air to some extent.. None are probably the epitamy of masculinaty, but *shrugs* didn't take anything away from my enjoyment of them. That's pretty much the extent of my experiences so far though, so who knows what else I may find out there that I enjoy.

Nov 17, 2011 3:36 AM
May 2009
Lol Yeah It happens. I watched alot of Anime aimed at girls when I was a kid, Since I had cousins who were all girls. They aren't bad.

Guys have more action and more tradegy. Where as Girls have more romance and feelings involved.
Nov 17, 2011 4:16 AM

Nov 2011
I like Mahou Shoujo anime ._.
I also liked Toradora and Maid Sama
Nov 17, 2011 6:53 AM

Dec 2008
I'll watch a good anime regardless of it being targeted to males or females.
Nov 17, 2011 10:10 AM

Mar 2009
Pleased to see this thread taking a turn toward the point I hoped it would make. Hope folk keep questioning and enjoying it.
Nov 17, 2011 10:56 AM
Jul 2011
I don't relate to this forum because I watch manly shows like Princess Tutu and Ouran High School Host Club and my sister watches girly shows like Fist of The North Star and Durarara!! like it should be.

But in all honesty, gender isn't an issue for the most part and it shouldn't be. Both my sister and I love all of the above shows.
Nov 17, 2011 11:06 AM

Sep 2009
Monad said:
I wonder are moeblob shows with girls like K-ON! considered guy shows or girl shows?

Also are more senien style shows suppose to be guy shows? I never got that impression. Or does it depends on whether the protagonist is male or female? Aren't such shows for both genders?
Many anime that get the shounen title don't seem to be strictly guy shows ether. Many put Death Note for example as shounen(although i think is more senien), but isn't that show mutually interesting to both genders? Bakuman too. Why would a girl not enjoy Bakuman? What exactly does it have that makes it a guy show? Or is it simply because the main isn't a female?

Very difficult to understand how "they" classify the animes. I have seen Josei like Nana and really slow slice of life animes like Aria, and I think those are really outstanding animes, I'm a guy and I really had a great time watching those animes, I didn't hesitate about pick them or not, never had a felling or thought about it was an Anime a girl will whatch not a man. But now that we are being honest I still feel uncomfortable watching Yaoi or for me is erotic watching Yuri, even if that is not the meening of the plot of a particular anime.
Nov 18, 2011 8:41 PM

Jul 2011
i'm a guy, and i've enjoyed:

kimi ni todoke
bokura ga ita - (not the ending)
gokujou seitokai
maid-sama
Nov 18, 2011 8:49 PM

Jul 2011
Monad said:

funny, i was just wondering the same thing. i enjoy series like nichijou, yuru yuri, k-on etc, with like 100% female cast, so it's pretty difficult to figure out whether or not they are aimed on both genders or just girls...
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Nov 19, 2011 10:49 AM

Oct 2011
Why not start a thread about it? Don't forget a poll.
Nov 19, 2011 8:55 PM

Aug 2011
Most of the anime that I watch/have watched is directed at girls. Romances > explosions/epic sword fights with super long dialogues.
Nov 19, 2011 9:44 PM

Oct 2011
LmfaoADoing said:
funny, i was just wondering the same thing. i enjoy series like nichijou, yuru yuri, k-on etc, with like 100% female cast, so it's pretty difficult to figure out whether or not they are aimed on both genders or just girls...

The answer is simple, really. It turns you on. Don't even try to deny it. There's a pretty simple litmus test for this...
Nov 20, 2011 2:39 PM
Jun 2010
I'm a girl and I really really liked:

Dragonball Z
Inuyasha
Rurouni Kenshin
Naruto
Bleach
D Gray Man
Death Note
Trigun
Code Geass
Gungrave
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Elfen Leid
Buso Renkin
Fullmetal Panic (only season 1 and 2, I hated Fumoffu)

I like both shonen and shojo
Nov 24, 2011 3:26 AM

Oct 2011
i'm a girl and i loved
death note
dragon ball
full metal alchemist(the brotherhood)
le chevalier d'eon
Nov 24, 2011 7:09 AM

Jul 2011
ideoidiom said:
LmfaoADoing said:

The answer is simple, really. It turns you on. Don't even try to deny it. There's a pretty simple litmus test for this...

why would i deny it?
Nov 24, 2011 8:35 AM

Oct 2011
Well, you're asking if it's aimed at both genders or just 'girls'. Do you enjoy watching bishounen shows? Well there's your answer. Guys tend to hate sausage fests, I'm assuming it's the opposite for girls.
Nov 24, 2011 9:34 AM

Jul 2011
^i'm quite sure many girls also watch shows with a sole female cast such as k-on for actual enjoyment, while there aren't alot of males who watch bishonen for the same reason. i'm sure most girls enjoy watching bishonen series, but to my knowledge the majority of those do not dislike in any way titles with small amount of penises. not everything has to relate to sexual tension.
Nov 24, 2011 10:14 AM

Oct 2011
It does relate to sexual tension.
From a masculinity perspective (some more so, some less so), guys think being feminine is 'gross', plus the fact that the standard societal stereotype for gay guys are "a bunch of cocksucking sissies" (excuse my language, but it precisely describe how most people view them), thus you get homophobia. But, we have no problems whatsoever with lesbians. In fact, it's been a running thing amongst guys that it's 'hot' (see "girl fight" in pop culture).

From a feminine perspective (again, I'm going on societal stereotypes here, although there *ARE* reasons it exists), gay guys are their 'best friends'. They're fashionable, likes shopping, feels safe around -- all that fun stuff. However, in contrast to masculinity, there isn't a fine line between companionship or being 'too close for comfort', because 'feelings' are an attribute of femininity.

Bottom line: guys have to prove their masculinity by hating gays, so whenever they see a cock cluster, it's like their innate duty to slam it; in contrast to guys, this barrier doesn't exist for girls, and like the guys' take on yuri, some girls find yaoi hot.
Nov 24, 2011 11:49 AM

Mar 2009
ideoidiom said:
It does relate to sexual tension.
From a masculinity perspective (some more so, some less so), guys think being feminine is 'gross', plus the fact that the standard societal stereotype for gay guys are "a bunch of cocksucking sissies" (excuse my language, but it precisely describe how most people view them), thus you get homophobia. But, we have no problems whatsoever with lesbians. In fact, it's been a running thing amongst guys that it's 'hot' (see "girl fight" in pop culture).

From a feminine perspective (again, I'm going on societal stereotypes here, although there *ARE* reasons it exists), gay guys are their 'best friends'. They're fashionable, likes shopping, feels safe around -- all that fun stuff. However, in contrast to masculinity, there isn't a fine line between companionship or being 'too close for comfort', because 'feelings' are an attribute of femininity.

Bottom line: guys have to prove their masculinity by hating gays, so whenever they see a cock cluster, it's like their innate duty to slam it; in contrast to guys, this barrier doesn't exist for girls, and like the guys' take on yuri, some girls find yaoi hot.
Succinctly and objectively said.
Nov 24, 2011 12:45 PM

Jul 2011
i do agree with all above, and i love your way of speech, but that already exceeds our little debate, dosen't really explain why i would deny the fact that 'it turns me on'. (and you pretty much just stated why i wouldn't deny so)
after this speech, i can happily accept you're right on that subject, but non the less many of the females i recognize don't really dislike those kind of shows, while on the other hand majority of the males i know have developed homophobia. in my perspective it's pretty one sided for men (not alway's ofcourse). did you know 60% of the people in the shoujo ai/yuri fanclub are female?
Nov 24, 2011 1:27 PM

Oct 2011
I dunno, some guys pretend to be all high and mighty by advocating equal rights and all that shizz without taking the time to understand the circumstances. Deep down, they're usually hypocrites.

There's a certain psychological aspect to the difference in treatment between yaoi and yuri. For guys it's 'cool' to admit it, since 'evaluating women' has almost become somewhat of a 'sport'. But for girls, it's somewhat a different story.

I remember reading something like this on ANN awhile ago.

uhhh it goes something like:

Q: Why do shoujo mangas tend to involve a form of yaoi or another?
A: ...in a relatively 'traditional' society like japan (*bit of my own insight* much worse than 'western' societies, due to its long history being built on 'Confucianism'), where there's severe gender role inequality, sometimes our young readers like to project themselves as the dominant role of these stories, but of course, this is hard to pull off in reality, because of the societal differences (girls are expected to behave a certain way)....

This actually kind of explain how shows like Revolutionary Girl Utena are so popular amongst the female audience. It's not so much that the girls love yuri, they just want to relate to something that's hard to come by. It's the same with guys what with the harem (do you think everyone irl magically magnetizes women?).

So I guess, it was premature to assume that 'you' were one of those people, but I wasn't trying to prove that much of a point when I said it. Interpret it however you want.
Nov 24, 2011 2:14 PM

Jul 2011
ideoidiom said:
It's not so much that the girls love yuri, they just want to relate to something that's hard to come by. It's the same with guys what with the harem (do you think everyone irl magically magnetizes women?).

if you're relating to the shoujo ai/yuri fanclub, i personally think you're wrong. by quoting some of the females there you get;

and i'm too lazy atm to dig any deeper, those are just the recent ones.
anyway, i'm not saying the club is made out of these kind of people, but there are alot of women in there who see a deeper meaning to this then just sexuality. romance for instance?

other than that, i have nothing to add. (lol it rhymes ;Þ)
datfagNov 24, 2011 2:19 PM
Nov 24, 2011 2:34 PM

Oct 2011
You know, you're not exactly 'disagreeing' with me.

I said that people like to project themselves in situations that they perhaps like, but are 'unconventional' by the standards of society. The whole deal with shoujo and yaoi is just an example. Some guys may also like yuri because they may want to be in a certain type of relationship with someone like the 'yuri girls', but it'd be 'gay' to do so. (Do you see yaoi being commonly accepted as 'okay'? They call girls who like them 'fujoshi', which means rotten girl, in Japan, while I haven't seen an equivalent for guys liking yuri -- an example of gender inequality)

Try to understand that the usual motive behind this as also being a relationship between "wanting freedom to enjoy what you enjoy", and "since it's possible irl, I'll just vent it on anime", which is I guess what's so 'thrilling' about "Forbidden Love". Kind of like obsession with Japanese culture. You want what you don't have.
ideoidiomNov 24, 2011 4:17 PM
Nov 24, 2011 2:43 PM

Oct 2009
Gantz.
Dragon Ball Z.
Gintama.
Highschool of the Dead.
Nov 24, 2011 2:56 PM

Jul 2011
i have no reason to disagree, since i never really had an opinion to begin with.. sure you're making a valid point, but i really don't think you should be categorizing every single one of those people into that conclusion..
well whatever.
Nov 24, 2011 3:29 PM

Oct 2011
I wasn't... notice how I tried to be as humble as possible by using some..maybe..perhaps..etc. I don't pretend to know everything about everyone. I'm just saying, these may be factors behind their preferences and circumstances. Certainly as of yet, I haven't heard a convincing argument that proved me wrong.
Nov 24, 2011 3:50 PM

Jul 2011
ideoidiom said:
Certainly as of yet, I haven't heard a convincing argument that proved me wrong.

Well of course you haven't, since you aren't wrong.. but this isn't a one-sided thing, i think it should be viewed from multiple perspectives.
Nov 24, 2011 3:52 PM

Oct 2011
..such as...what other perspective? Isn't it what I've been doing?
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

68 by Akuya »»
1 minute ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 5 hours ago

13 by animejas »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 2 hours ago

5 by Daviljoe193 »»
3 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 4 hours ago

74 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
9 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

32 by Kenzolo-folk »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.