Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 25, 2017 6:52 PM

Sep 2014
Why do I have the feeling that 70% ~ of this shows important event and explanations happened off-screen?? Oh well..

Also, annoying leads and only 2 interesting characters (Alex and Dio) dying in the end didn't make it any better. The only thing that made me rate 6 and not 5 was that Delphine s* getting chocked to death.

6/10
May 22, 2017 12:51 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A bit of an odd ending, but overall a very enjoyable show. I thought Dio's death was very well done. All his life he's had Lucciola right by his side and when he snapped out of his stupor, he was nothing without his other hand.

Delphine's death came out of nowhere. Out until the very end she thought she was in total control and her face when Alex grabs her by the neck is priceless.

If I have to point out a weakness of the series (besides too much happening offscreen) it's Claus. He just had so little in place of personality. He could have been better developed and written. And don't get me started on the weird haremic turn it took halfway through. It felt inappropriate
On to the sequel I guess.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 23, 2017 5:15 AM

Jun 2013
Well, I guess that happened. I don't like the priorities of the finale. Instead of expanding on the more intriguing aspects of the show, and leaving the personal narratives of Claus and Mullin and the like up to our imagination, it did the opposite.

Dio and Alex died in some pretty unsatisfying ways, and Delphine never really got the chance to be a three dimensional character. Oh well.

It's too bad they didn't recognize the strength of the material they had on their hands; if the narrative had been tightened up, for example by cutting the melodrama baggage surrounding Claus, as well as developing the core ensemble with fewer distractions, this could have been an all around excellent series. But that's just my opinion.

At the end of the day, it had several good ideas and at least it looked pretty.
Feb 25, 2018 3:16 PM

Oct 2016
huh? So what? What happened? What was so great about the ship ? How is there peace in the new planet? Was there other life there? How was Alvis connected to the ship? Why was she the only one able to open it? Who seperated the poems that needed to open it? What does the ship do now? Who governs it? What happened to Dio, he was the only good character that made sence, killing him off isn't right, his friend sacrificed his life to save him. So much uneeded romance in the middle and the main couple doesn't even end up together?
Man and i thought bleach had a loose ending...
i had high hopes for this show it had such a good setting... bummer
Feb 26, 2018 7:53 PM

Jan 2013
Man its like hardly anyone paid attention to anything and are asking questions that have been answered years ago. Anyway, I'm rewatching this show after a couple years and I still think its an amazing adventure series. Yes, the ending is rushed and I would of liked a bit more clarification on things but it was still great. Delphine's death was satisfying for me, bitch got her necked snapped. The only part that was meh for me was the romance which didn't really go anywhere. Well, I guess Mullin finally got his girl. Great show, not as great as Eureka Seven but still pretty damn good.
Nov 28, 2019 6:56 PM

Aug 2008
Felt nothing from Dio's "death", crazy guy who killed several innocent people yet I am supposed to care about him because Lucciola sacrificed himself. Nope. Really all the characters felt muted and not really fleshed out.

Claus and Lavie's relationship never really went anywhere which is annoying and in the end Alex was just a one dimensional character looking for revenge and nothing else to him. Decent show for all that but after rewatching just isn't as good as I recall.
Dec 1, 2020 2:30 AM

May 2020
This was just disappointing. We never learn anything about this world enough to actually care. The main characters are barely interesting and the interesting ones are dead.

You don't have to spoon-feed me the answers but at least make an effort to answer something damnit. Overall, this series had a few good moments but honestly, I just could not care about any of this. 5/10.
Jan 6, 2021 4:38 PM

May 2010
Was between a 6 and 7 during the series, this ending kinda pushed it down to 6 for sure.

Overall an enjoyable watch, but nothing too special. None of the characters really stood out. The world was interesting, but we didn’t see enough to care too much about it. I think with more episodes it could have been better. Would like to have seen more world and character development.
Feb 26, 2021 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
I'm... kinda too dumb for this anime, I think? I even rewatched the last few episodes and I just don't get a few things. Is it me or is it the anime lol?
Why didn't need Delphine Alvis' power anymore? Why didn't she need Dio anymore? Why ... uhm. I'm just confused. .__.
I loved this, but in the end some events were just so damn random and kinda deus ex machina.
May 25, 2021 11:55 PM

Jun 2016
As the alliance force rush Delphine's ship, Claus, Lavie and Alvis get closer to delivering the poem and ending everything.

Would you look at that, a happy ending. How nice.

I still have little to no clue what Exile is, why it was there in the first place, who created it and how it got there, and tbh I think I'll never know (unless it's explained in the sequel, of course).

So Mullin is alive. Awesome. Shame Alex had to die, tho. I wonder if Alex could have choked Delphine to death sooner, avoiding his own death...

Last Exile wasn't necessarily a bad watch. It had interesting and enjoyable characters. Decent CG for 2006, although frustratingly out of focus most of the time. What let this show down for me was the lack of consistency and care for the art and character designs. The animation and plot were average too.
A-Simple-SquireMay 26, 2021 12:06 AM

Jul 22, 2021 1:53 PM

Aug 2017
Delphine's death was definitely anticlimactic (I actually liked it) and funny, in a sense...until I realized they were going to kill Alex ;_;

Overall Last Exile turned out to be an enjoyable steampunk show, but I think the mysterious elements could've been either less mysterious or better fleshed out...I wasn't too huge of a fan of the ending and the whole Exile thing, not gonna lie. Alvis' connection to it is still a mystery, how does that even work?

Dio's fate is left ambiguous, given that we hear his voice in the engine room later on (how?), and he seems to be a character in the sequel? Well, even if he died, that was pretty sad. Same if he didn't.

This frame. Right after a Silvana crewman says that there's debris of Delphine's ship falling on the ground.
It's a human body (you can see it in motion a bit afterwards) and looks a lot like Alex to me. The legs are folded in this frame, but they're there (again, you can see it when it's in motion).

The link isn't working anymore, but what I see after that line is a green vanship, not a body.

P.S. Still no idea who that weird yellow person in white...things in the first opening was.
St0rmbladeJul 25, 2021 2:21 PM
Jul 30, 2021 6:39 AM

Dec 2020
for people who are confused about the fact that Al didn't age, read this: "The epilogue shows that he [Mullin] survived to be with Dunya and live on a farm alongside Dunya's siblings. Many viewers mistakenly assumed the child shown to be Mullin's son. Additional materials state the child is Dunya's younger brother."

this is from the character info.

so sad :( I thought they were their children.
Aug 12, 2022 11:17 AM
Sep 2013
I'm going to start saying that this anime is an original work, that is, everything was thought of only when they were animating, there is no material before they could use it as a base.
With that said, here we go:
I think the anime remains consistent from the beginning, it may improve a little after the second episode, but after that in the vision it remains in quality.
Characters are very good, I don't hate the characters in this anime are very good, I saw people saying that they hate such characters, but they are very normal, I don't hate their roles very well, especially the protagonist, himself being a normal person, with his roles very well, especially the one, himself being a normal and flawed person, did not fail to move forward from the beginning.
With the characters even though I don't hate them, only a few have a few to mention actions that I'm not a little stressed, nothing too big, one of them Lavie jealous of Claus when Tatiana comes back dressed with Tatiana comes back clothes of him, since both were in equivalence lost in the desert and nothing had happened and the other character is Sophia when she kissed Claus out of nowhere even though she liked Alex, so I didn't understand her relationship with Claus.
I could have something from Alex, but I thought it was coherent and only he was weird to be worried, he wouldn't have asked anything about it.
Animation: The animation of the anime is very good if you take into account what was done at the time of its release, even for me the CGI parts are much better even some animations made today (2022), the anime positively surprised me .
"Man liked the story since, for sure, after I never saw these two battles I remembered when I was up to a battle remembering more of the moment as I ended up socializing, about what happens later in the anime wars" If there is an attempt to find out, completely, which never explains to me what the world was, when they lived was not so mysterious. the ending doesn't explain these things anyway, in fact the ending doesn't leave much open in my opinion, it impacts the note I would give the anime, nor would it impact the story of it, there are endings that destroy a work completely but this is not one of them .
The anime at the end certainly gave a rush but making a defense, the year was 2003, the animation of the anime is very good and the anime still got 26 I think to do something better and complement what was missing only if the anime had more 12 /13 that is, the anime would have to have a total of 39 episodes, it would be too expensive
Vousale with that, I think other only studies on those, I didn't push, that were excited, I didn't push of it were up to the belly, I think the thing is not so good in it is the novel, we so important an episode that happened a little salt on the wound but it doesn't extend much, I wish it had a little more romance but that would be my personal taste, in the end we see us see them so they must form a couple, and we see Claus with his 4 wives, Nessavis,Alister,Alister), we don't know and Holly would enter, these brides Sophia too.
The ending kind of hints that the world they had recently was a colony in space, that is until the old colony where the protagonists lived had a metal hole in the visa, it had a life of water to the ground and the population could not see it at the end and Lavie's parents die if not everyone else, and the exile ship took the kids we had in the episode, where Alex and Lavie's parents were buried, but nothing to talk about.
8/10

PT-BR

Vou começar a falar que esse anime é uma obra original, ou seja tudo foi pensado somente quando foram animar, não tem nenhum material antes que eles pudessem usar como base.
Dito isso vamos lá:
Eu acho que o anime se mantém consistente desde o começo, pode melhorar um pouco depois do segundo episódio, mas depois disso na visão ele se mantém em qualidade.
Personagens são muito bons, eu não odeio os personagens desse anime são muito bons, vi pessoas falando que odeiam tais personagens, mas são muito normais, eu não odeio seus papéis muito bem, em especial o protagonista, ele mesmo sendo uma pessoa normal, com seus papéis muito bem, em especial o, ele mesmo sendo uma pessoa normal e falhas, não deixaram de seguir em frente desde o começo.
Com os personagens mesmo não tendo ódio de deles, só alguns tem alguns alguns de citar deles ações que eu não tenho um pouco de estressado, nada muito grande, um deles a Lavie com ciúmes do Claus quando a Tatiana volta vestida com a Tatiana volta roupa dele, visto que ambos estavam em equivalência perdidos no deserto e não tinha rolado nada e o outro personagem é a Sophia quando ela beijou do nada o Claus mesmo gostando do Alex,então não entendi essa relação dela com Claus.
Eu poderia algo do Alex, mas achei coerente e apenas ele estranho de ficar preocupado, não teria nada pedido a respeito.
Animação: A animação do anime é muito boa se levar em conta o que foi feito na época de lançamento dele, até pra mim as partes em CGI são muito melhores até algumas animações feitas hoje em dia (2022), o anime me surpreendeu positivamente questão.
"Cara gostaram da história desde, com certeza, depois que eu nunca vi essas duas batalhas me lembrei quando eu estava até uma batalha me lembrando mais do momento como finalsociei, sobre o que ocorre depois no anime wars" Se há uma tentativa de descobrir, completamente, que nunca me explica qual era o mundo, quando viviam não era tão misteriosa. o final não explicado essas coisas mesmo assim, de fato final não deixa muita coisa em aberto ao meu ver impacta na nota que eu daria pro anime, nem impactaria na história do mesmo, existem finais que destroem uma obra completamente mas esse não é um deles.
O anime no final com certeza deu uma rushada mas fazendo uma defesa, o ano era 2003, a animação do anime é muito boa e o anime ainda conseguiu 26 acho que para fazer algo melhor e complementar o que faltava só se o anime tivesse mais 12 /13 ou seja o anime teria que ter no total 39 episódios, seria custoso de mais
Vousale com que, acho que outros únicos estudos sobre aqueles, eu não empurrei, que foram empolgado, eu não empurrei de ele foram até a barriga, acho que a coisa não é tão boa nele é o romance, nós tão importantes um episódio que aconteceu um pouco de sal na ferida mas não se estende muito, eu queria que tivesse um pouco mais de romance mas esse seria meu gosto pessoal, no final a gente vê a gente vê-los então eles devem formar um casal,e vemos Claus com suas 4 esposas, nessavis,Alister,Alister),não sabemos e Holly entrariam, nestas noivas Sophia também.
Final meio deixa a entender que o mundo que eles tinham recentemente era uma colônia no espaço, o é até a colônia antiga onde os protagonistas moravam tinha um buraco de metal no visto, tinha uma vida de água até o chão e a população não podia se ver isso aos finais e os pais de Lavie morrer se não todo o mundo, e a nave exile levou as crianças que a gente no episódio, onde Alex e os pais de Lavie foram enterrados, mas nada a falar .
Nota 8/10
Aug 23, 2022 11:11 AM
Jul 2019
The ending could of been better. I wanted to know more about Dio.
Nov 17, 2022 7:17 PM

Aug 2019
While yes, I loved this ending, I also can't help but feel like maybe it was rushed, or it wasn't put together in the best way. They "freed" Exile, and then suddenly they were inside it? But also there was a ton of other people in there too? Like they just showed up there? I'm glad Mullin is alive (which is like, what? It looked like he died two episodes ago. I don't like how they did that), and I think Dio is alive too? I think you can hear his voice in the engine room... But how? We saw him fall in The Grand Stream, and suddenly he's back on the Sylvana? How did that even happen? Again, I loved this ending but I feel like it could've been done better, but then again, that's with a lot of things from this anime. Some things felt off and awkward at times, but overall I enjoyed this! So glad I finally got around to watching this! This was awesome! :D
Nov 20, 2022 10:48 AM

Dec 2018
so i guess exile was a colony ship meant to terraform and spread humans across the galaxy. not sure where "the guild" comes in, but the ending, even if a bit rushed, was quite beautiful. i also don't like how dio was just killed off with no resolution to his character.
Dec 5, 2022 8:02 AM
Nov 2018
Fucking Gonzo and their rushed endings ,literally the same as with Bokurano,NHK and some their other series from that period.

It really was their MO.
Jan 12, 2023 10:45 AM

Aug 2016
This episode jumps around from one twist to another without really giving you much time to process what's happening, and Dio's death scene was unintentionally funny due to how he just falls off his plane and there's absolutely no reaction from Claus, Lavie or anyone else despite them having become his friends, they also don't explain how Mullin survived, one scene showing him being treated by a medic before the ending would already be good enough to be honest. There's a handful of stuff that's left ambiguous, like the backstory surrounding the Guild, Prester's creation and the Exile, which is a shame because exploring all of this in a flashback episode or something like that would be very interesting.

That being said, I do think this is a good ending from a thematic standpoint. Last Exile is mainly a story about people's ability to change and adapt, as well as how much of an influence the past has on who they are, this being applied to a context like war, which is something that always brings changes to the world at large. Aside from the characters' individual stories relating to their pasts, there's the overall idea of Anatoray and Disith repeating the exact same mistakes that led to the Earth being ruined and the migration to Prester happening in the first place by waging war against each other, while the Guild's overall apathy towards them stems from the fact that the previous generation of their houses failed at passing on their knowledge to the new one, which in turn led to their internal conflicts and Delphine taking over. Seeing how much death and destruction all of this caused, the people who survived and returned to the now healed Earth can put what they learned from their experiences in Prester into practice and hopefully create a better future for themselves and for mankind as a whole once they repopulate the planet. This conclusion might be way too optimistic for some people, you can argue that realistically there will be some conflict in the future because humanity is hardwired to go to war or whatever, but I think having such a positive ending for Last Exile is a breath of fresh air compared to the high amount of "human bad" messages these types of stories tend to bring with them.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jan 31, 2023 1:36 PM

Apr 2016
First, I will say that Last Exile is cool. Airships with people manning observations towers looking around with binocular towers, people shouting down brass tubes, morse code signaling. Airship battles. The Silvana crew look good in their uniforms and Alex looks great in his black coat. Instead of the usual "plucky rebels vs evil empire" setup, instead it's the empire and the nomadic barbarians team up to fight the guild, which has a monopoly on clean water while everyone else is drinking filthy water and nations are disappearing off of the face of the earth because of drought.

That being said, rule of cool is no substitute for the fundamentals of storytelling. Proper pacing and scene tension, coherent plotting, and so on. Unfortunately, Last Exile just does not hold up. The show was okay up until the Silvana's first battle with the Urbanus at the Dragon's Fangs. After that, the show begins to break down. Characters we were supposed to take seriously as adult military officers begin acting like indecisive manbabies. The mystery boxes are not paid off in a timely manner and have unsatisfying reveals. Things happen for no apparent reason. Why are there thousands of people evacuating onto rockets in the middle of nowhere, that then launch and crash? No clue. Why is Alvis and Exile so important? No clue. Why isn't the Guild doing anything to stop the Alliance when they are clearly massing for an attack? The fact that the engine compartments of ships in this setting were sealed off and contained guild personnel was not apparent until the last few episodes. Why did Luciolla put the suicide ring on? Why was the Maestro able to control Exile without Alvis or the last stanza? Why does Alvis have the power to control Exile anyway? If Exile was a colony ship then shouldn't everyone on the planet be descended from the colonists and should be able to control Exile? Why was Exile covered in a shell and floating around in the Grand Stream in the first place? And so on.

I've heard that the sequel series is "worse" and often viewed as noncanon by fans, but I am curious as to how it could possibly be worse than the first.
Valyrian1124Jan 31, 2023 2:08 PM
Feb 1, 2023 10:26 PM

Aug 2016
@Valyrian1124 most of your questions are answered in the series, though.

Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Feb 15, 2023 1:11 AM
Jul 2021
That snapping sound was so satisfying, finally the cvnt got what she deserved! That sound was heard around the world! Twice!
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Apr 6, 2023 5:52 PM

Oct 2022
The ending made as much sense as the beginning. What is this Exile thing exactly. It's not really a ship, it's not clear whether it's in the sky or on the ground. Its interior is not well defined. Its origin or its nature how it works is not explained. The vortex they need to go through to get there was in the sky through the whole anime until the end where suddenly it's... the North Pole? Who all the nations are- Dsith or Guild not really clear. Who the Guild actually were or where they came from....
What was the moral of the story? They reached paradise, and Alvis renewed the Earth... The most interesting thing about this anime is maybe its characters and the designs and how it used early CGI. I did not really understand the story, the relationships were good but the unnecessary tragic deaths just killed off good characters. The whole time watching it I enjoyed it but never really felt like I understood it. It feels more like a story was written around the Steampunk concepts and character designs of Range Murata, rather than the other way round. And that's totally fine, just not a masterpiece. 8/10
Sep 26, 2023 10:43 AM
Sep 2023
Just finished nostalgic rewatching and show greatly manages to stand the test of time. For me, it’s a solid 8/10, CG aged well and already became vintage. Traditional animation parts, especially faces did not, but they’re more than bearable. For me still to this day the best part of the show - are pacing and screenwriting, the narrative of the story being solid throughout the 26 episodes(except the ending), and no “one episode-one story” structure relevant to the absolute most of the shows nowadays. The overall designs and art style still hit hard, probably thanks to Murata.
Graphics aside, for me the biggest problem were plot and characters from the 11th episode. And especially Vincent was A LOT of missed potential. His feelings for Sophia were barely noticeable throughout the series, as well as his background with Alex. Only after I checked transcription of Aerial Log artbook, where not only him having feeelings towards Sophia are mentioned directly, but also Vince and Alex being roommates back in academy. Reading that I was like “excuse what the actual-“, because such massive parts of characters past were completely thrown away from the show and I’m dying over missed potential between Vince and Sophia and overall love triangle. Even at the fight between Silverna and Urbanus main focus is set onto non-resolving complications between Claus and Tatiana, and the older cast of characters is thrown into background. Alex and Vince were extremely promising rivalry duo, but they were overshadowed by love harem around Claus and not getting even a single flashback together. Even Alex, being the main drive of the story, gets like one repeating flashback about grand stream and Euris, and only in context of Claus and his father, for me this is like a warcrime in writing. Too much story in the equator of the series is spent around non-resolving love interests around Claus, when older characters more significant in the world around them get little to no exposition. And for me this kills of a lot of depth in the series, when this much of major facts about characters past are left in artbook notes.
With the introduction of Urbanus several plotholes got opened, especially about Anatoray building independent Claudia-powered ships, who built them and who even operate human-built engines, all is left unanswered. So does the role of Maurius, the prime-minister, in all the politics and Alex’s past is left with more holes than answers. First half of the season is built around kids and their affairs, and right from the beginning in the second part we get a ton of chewed up lore exposition with appearance of Vincent, who clearly was intended to have more depth than what was shown in the series. Not only he had a promising and endearing personality, but he could greatly expand Sophia and Alex relationship.
In my opinion, love triangle between Alex/Sophia/Vincent was much more prominent than the Claus/Lavie/Tatiana, but it also had a ton of potential in flashbacks, even resolving some holes in world-building around the series. In the end they all were left pretty shallow. Especially the ending itself - rushed, all cramped, with little to no exposition around anything, it was just lazy writing, and even one more episode could have made the situation far better. I really don’t get how in the show with such great structure, the accents on the characters could be so uneven.
I would die for more Sophia and Vince interactions, especially after the final battle, but their arc is left unresolved at all. All the romance in the show is executed pretty badly, because even the dynamics around main cast are cut off in the end, resolving into nothing, as is with more background characters. Really, why even have this much accent on the romance part in adventurous show, when all the relationships are left completely undone.

Overall, it was pretty good nostalgic rewatch, still craving to see more depths about this prominent and unique world such old series told about.
Oct 24, 2023 7:55 PM

Dec 2015
A would-have-been classic dragged down by the crappy CG. Normally I don't have a problem with CG but it's downright impossible to tell what's happening in what should've been some epic battles. The lighting is horrible, effects are bland and lacks impact, the shot composition lacks emphasis on what the audience should focus on, and the already dull color palette certainly did not help.

Luckily CG is the only thing that aged like milk.
XXXXXXXXXIIIOct 24, 2023 8:09 PM
Jan 19, 9:53 PM

Mar 2007
Completed re-watch. This stands up.
  • Dogfights were good
  • Characters were interesting - could have done without the romance subplots, but I am very happy Mullin LIVED. YAY!
  • Was Exile a generation ship? It just ... left?? Still many unanswered questions

I guess they did a spin off so I'll be watching that next.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Jul 11, 2008

64 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 24, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 23 Discussion

37 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 19, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 19 Discussion

19 by MagicPolly »»
Jan 16, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 16 Discussion

18 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 15, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 14 Discussion

29 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 14, 6:43 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.