Forum Settings
Forums
New
Who will rule anime in 2011?
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Nov 14, 2011 12:23 AM

Jun 2010
Karhu said:
Steins;Gate is most overrated anime title on MAL now. No-one seems to care about how horribly predictable the story was, nothing near to perfect. People aren't rating their anime here, they just give it a number. I ain't gonna give a shit about MALs mean score anymore.

IMDb 7.9/10, animewatcher 7.5/10.

You people are sick. Now go and study the difference between good and great.
So foolish, sooo foolish. For me, IMDb is concentrated with one of the worst elitist in animation community, thus I reject to take those ratings as standard of the series.

With anti-fan mindset, everything can become flaw. Perspective war never wins.

^Agree. What do you mean how horribly predictable the story was? You blind bro? Don't tell me you got some psychic powers...
Dec 26, 2011 3:26 PM

Oct 2008
Steins had a solid 2nd half. Very well paced, engrossing, emotional and always let you questioning if Kyoma would succeed. The last episode and the episode of the Kurisu's and Kyoma's confession was especially strong.

But Steins had a relatively weak 1st half. The real gut-wrenching part of the story didn't really start till episode 13. I understand that the 12 episodes prior are required to set up the story, make the characters likeable, develop the character interactions and set the rules of the world, but I honestly found it drawn out a bit.

Madoka on the other hand, has probably, the best executed plot I've ever seen in anime. Each episode answered a few fundamental questions of the previous one, but let you hanging with several more. From episode 3 onwards, it was nonstop tension until episode 10, which was a great time to finally explain Homura's motives, allowing you to have a completely different view of Homura entering the 11th episode. Episode 10 is my favourite episode of anime of all time. The ending itself tied up most of the loose ends and was bittersweet. All in all, it turned the entire genre upside down, but managed to keep the same message of hope. Add the symbolism of certain scenes, the great use of the colour palette, great fight sequences, engrossing OST by Yuki Kajiura and you honestly have a winner.

So my vote: Madoka, though Steins is a close second for anime of the year.
OmniknightDec 26, 2011 3:29 PM
Dec 26, 2011 4:04 PM

Oct 2011
Well i've seen Stein;s Gate and my impression upon Madoka Magica is umm.. yh..
although i've been told it's soooo.. different and i will watch eventually if so but regardless for the characters (Okabe and Kirisu), Stein's Gate for the win..
Dec 26, 2011 6:02 PM

Feb 2010
I enjoy watching Steins;Gate than Madoka, oh and Madoka's ending sucked balls.
Jan 5, 2012 4:37 AM

Oct 2008
Oosran said:
Tl;dr Madoka was, at best, as good as the worst parts of Steins;Gate.

AMEN to this brother.
Jan 5, 2012 4:57 AM
Nov 2011
Both the anime series started off slow so, I guess, that's the only place where Steins;Gate and Madoka can be compared. Except for that, Steins;Gate took all. That anime had one of the best twists and turns I had ever experienced in my life, whether they be from anime series, movies, visual novels or anything in particular. Madoka was quite boring for me in the starting, the same goes for Steins;Gate, but being precisely adapted from a phenomenal visual novel, Steins;Gate gained up speed and turned out to be way better than any other anime of that season, and that does include AnoHana as well. Both the anime had great endings, by the way. Loved 'em.
Jan 5, 2012 4:59 AM

Apr 2011
Wtf.

Both are awesome.
Jan 7, 2012 3:52 PM

Mar 2010
Steins;Gate FTW !!!
Mar 7, 2012 3:29 AM

Dec 2011
You can't compare both. Rather then comparing apple and orange, this is like comparing gold with gold.
Mar 7, 2012 4:17 AM

May 2010
The answer is obvious...
Mar 12, 2012 12:44 PM

Mar 2010
Ugh, I loved Steins;Gate and watched Madoka right after it... gotta say I was extremely disappointed :/ What I mean is that the anime wasn't that bad at all but it's most certainly overhyped and not my cup of tea at all~
Apr 22, 2012 8:26 PM

Apr 2012
Karhu said:
Steins;Gate is most overrated anime title on MAL now. No-one seems to care about how horribly predictable the story was, nothing near to perfect. People aren't rating their anime here, they just give it a number. I ain't gonna give a shit about MALs mean score anymore.

Yea, like you predicted the story or ur just being a pretentious rager. And dont be a hypocrite next time when u post something, cuz u clearly dont know what is great and what is good

Anyways, I reckon Steins; Gate was the best anime of 2011, not only my personal opinion, but by ppl's choice as well. I have looked at polls on Anime websites and some famous bloggers opinions (which all their followers accepted) and it has came 1st or at least top 5. If you consider everything, the themes, the character development and Story construction, it was truly a masterpiece. In all honesty, it wasn't overexaggerated at all, both of these animes were brilliant.
SKIIBOSKIBABYApr 22, 2012 10:09 PM
Apr 22, 2012 8:36 PM

Feb 2010
WHY would you necro this horrible topic? Seriously what the fuck?
Apr 22, 2012 10:12 PM

Aug 2011
Steins;Gate (your vote)
257 73.22%

*Statistics
Score: 9.161 (scored by 36932 users)
Ranked: #32
Popularity: #89
Members: 66,772
Favorites: 6,309

MADOKA
94 26.78%

*Statistics
Score: 8.731 (scored by 43599 users)
Ranked: #302
Popularity: #84
Members: 67,537
Favorites: 4,729

End of Story.
Apr 22, 2012 10:58 PM

Apr 2012
piperz said:
Steins;Gate (your vote)
257 73.22%

*Statistics
Score: 9.161 (scored by 36932 users)
Ranked: #32
Popularity: #89
Members: 66,772
Favorites: 6,309

MADOKA
94 26.78%

*Statistics
Score: 8.731 (scored by 43599 users)
Ranked: #302
Popularity: #84
Members: 67,537
Favorites: 4,729

End of Story.

Bahahahaha, what i was thinking as well
Apr 23, 2012 3:09 AM

Dec 2009
Steins;Gate

I love them both though.
May 4, 2012 5:03 PM
Jun 2011
Saw Madoka halfway and not yet Steins;Gate.

Maybe I'll choose one when I watch both of them first.
May 4, 2012 9:04 PM

Nov 2011
Both were fantastic series in their own rights.
May 4, 2012 9:14 PM

Nov 2009
No idea about Steins;gate, but Madoka, according to my review, blows tadpoles.
May 4, 2012 10:39 PM

Sep 2011
once you reach halfway on steins;gate.. prepare yourself for a rollercoaster ride.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
May 4, 2012 11:44 PM

May 2011
The only reason I started watching Steins;Gate because I saw some random cool amv...

and for Madoka, it was because of all the hype. Steins;Gate (24 episodes) I finished in three days, but I still haven't even started on the fifth episode of Madoka.

It's easy to understand why so many people like Madoka, the story is deconstructed magical girls done well, animation is cool and shafty, music is amazing, but... there's just some unknown factor in the way of it truly deserving god status. ((obviously haven't finished it, so an answer might appear))
May 5, 2012 2:37 AM

May 2011
SKIIBOSKIBABY said:
u clearly dont know what is great and what is good
Nice to hear that from a rating god like you whose mean score is only 8.55.

Lets see, anime we share
you - mean score 9.00 - gave Steins;Gate 10 - difference 1.00 - (1.45)*
me - mean score 4.00 - gave a 6 - difference 2.00 - (1.74)*
*difference from overall mean score

My views and value I give to S;G are actually more positive than yours are so LOL.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
May 5, 2012 3:50 AM

Apr 2010
I think Madoka is way much better,
May 5, 2012 3:59 AM

Nov 2011
Like some have said earlier they are both great in their respective genres. Two completely different settings, story and such I just can't really see myself comparing the two besides them both being made in 2011. Besides if people want an answer to this VS. thing people have already posted the stats of the score and such!

Karhu said:
SKIIBOSKIBABY said:

Lets see, anime we share

My views and value I give to S;G are actually more positive than yours are so LOL.

You rate anime pretty harshly. Seeing your anime list a 7 would be considered Godly. lol Just curious, but what do you base your scores on? Do you just stick with a 1-8 system? or have you simply never seen(in your opinion) an anime that deserved an 9 or 10? Because anything from an 8-10 seems almost non-existent on your list.
RagixMay 5, 2012 4:07 AM
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 5, 2012 4:13 AM

Aug 2010
May 5, 2012 6:08 AM

Jul 2011
I agree with Mr. Homolust here, why is this back to the surface to begin with ?
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Jun 3, 2012 5:22 AM

Apr 2012
Karhu said:
SKIIBOSKIBABY said:

Lets see, anime we share

brah, a mean score of 4? think u should overlook that comment on how ur views are better than mine cause u just seem to down everything. Anyways, what u see on my list is not everything i have watched, i only add stuff which is 'notable' and what i like alot.
Mar 23, 2013 1:48 PM

May 2012
My two favorite anime, but I like Madoka more.
Mar 23, 2013 2:02 PM

Mar 2013
Aug 11, 2013 7:05 AM
Jul 2013
Steins;Gate, all the way!!! ^^
I consider this as my 2nd all-time favorite anime (next to Code Geass) ^^

I've watched Madoka, and well, its JUST OKAY(passing rate), Madoka have too much hype, making me expect A LOT, but it turned out to be JUST OKAY, definitely not an anime that really struck me, or interest me, and not an anime that I will ever recommend to anyone.

While, S;G is one of the animes that I will never get tired of recommending to people ^^

Note: I hate drama animes, I hate slow-paced animes, I hate poor quality graphics, but WTH, the story and characters of Steins;Gate make up for all this things by 10x, so I definitely recommend it to everyone! ^^
Sep 15, 2013 11:37 AM
Mar 2012
I hope folks understand saying one is good doesn't necessarily mean the other one is bad.

That said, I voted for Steins; Gate. Steins; Gate is an instant classic. What I find it amazing is how on point it is on several fronts: The sci-fi, the slice of life, the characters, the comedy, and the romance. It's a sci-fi flick so there's time travel stuff, but other than that it gets the right balance on the other areas.

Magdoka Magica was a solid above average anime but wouldn't call it classic. I don't think it's something that would stay in one's head and while it's too soon to tell, I suspect it won't stand the test of time that Steins; Gate will (in terms of being considered a classic).

Madoka for me didn't have any memorable characters. I don't see how it is clearly better than say, Durarara.

7-8/10 for Madoka.
10/10 for Steins; Gate.
Sep 15, 2013 12:01 PM

Mar 2012
As a fan of both, with both being my favorites, I think I can as unbiased say that Madoka is better.
I guess I break it down to be as objective as possible

Story Madoka story is a tightly fitted, well foreshadow tragedy, with little to no filler, with everything having it purpose and place, with a great ending. Steins Gate another well foreshadowed plot, with a very cool use of time travel , it too also has a great ending BUT Episodes 3-8 the plot barely moves , and finally the last arc before the climax , pacing goes off as the adaptation from a VN with different routes for the girls , unnaturally placed into the show.

1-0 to Madoka

Characters Okabe is just such a cool character and has some great character development (also my favorite male anime character) as for the rest of the cast though fitting archetypes they are all well done. BUT apart from Okabe they receive little to no development, with the only character coming close to some development is Kurisu developing her love interest. This is ofc not the shows fault in how its structured all from a time travels pov.
As for Madoka , the development of the characters in the time frame is great across the board, and all advance way beyond their initial archetypes due to the deconstruction nature of the show.
As much as I love Okabe, round 2 goes again to Madoka
2-0

Animation and Art Style Now this is incredibly hard to be not subjective but I will try.
Steins Gate goes for a realistic art style and the animation is consistently high, with some few artistic monochrome scenes no complaints. Madoka on the otherhand goes more experimental and contrasts its moe art style with the weird designs of the witches, its not as consistent with the animation is espeacially the slice of life bits. But the show takes more risks... uh I guess by the skin of its teeth steins gate
2-1
Sound Madoka Magica has a great composed soundtrack which is well placed throughout the series, while steins gate also has a great sound track it also likes to play scenes with no ost at all except the sound of computer fans humming. I reall can't objectively choose between them. a tie there.

So as objectively as possible from a fan who loves both shows and would defend them both. I would say Madoka is better.
FINAL SCORE 2-1 TO MADOKA
Sep 16, 2013 9:34 PM

Feb 2013
Having finally watched Steins;Gate I can now post...

I gave Madoka 10/10.
I gave Steins;Gate 7/10.

To me, Madoka is the clear winner.

I lowered my expectations before watching Steins;Gate. It turned out to be what I expected: A good straightforward anime (meaning it was not confusing or very thought provoking). It simply lacked "impact" for me. I might have dropped it if not for the characters' interactions.

Madoka, on the other hand, hooked me in less than 20 seconds. With "perfect" pacing, fitting music, trippy non-standard visuals, and well arranged story telling, it's the "whole package"... It was a truly "magical" experience for me.
Sep 17, 2013 9:27 AM

Jan 2011
while i like both, this is an easy one
Steins Gate
Sep 17, 2013 9:37 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Uh well... they're my #1 and #2 animes respectively >.>

So... thanks, I'll go with Madoka if I have to choose, but at the same time I'd played the Steins;Gate VN before I saw the anime so it didn't have the shock factor with it, can't say which I would've chosen if that wasn't the case.
Nov 17, 2013 7:12 AM
Mar 2012
I wonder if the watching order influences which one one prefers.

For example, having seen either of them, the time travel revelation in the other won't be as shocking a twist.

Speaking of which, I think Madoka telegraphed their reveal. Though again, maybe I only think that because I saw Steins Gate first.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Would you pat or slap the above user? v.2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Oct 5, 2022

9877 by MitsukiHimeka »»
48 seconds ago

» Do you love the user above you? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

End - Jan 3, 2019

925 by MitsukiHimeka »»
1 minute ago

» do something lewd to the user above ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kyokisama - Dec 13, 2017

179 by MitsukiHimeka »»
2 minutes ago

» Harshly judge the user above you based on their Last List Updates v.12 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Apr 9, 2023

7828 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
4 minutes ago

» What is the most mysterious thing about the above user? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IpreferEcchi - Feb 19, 2020

2787 by DanzFcc »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.