Who will rule anime in 2011?
Steins;Gate
70.6%
MADOKA
29.4%
561 votes
Sep 6, 2011 6:15 PM

Jun 2008
So I hear everyone is calling Steins;Gate the best anime of the year.....I guess you guys already forgot about MADOKA.

Anyways, we still have the finale for Steins;Gate next week, but I think we can start discussing on which anime is better.

PLEASE, do not put any spoilers without appropriate Tags on BOTH series.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 6, 2011 6:18 PM

Aug 2009
Madoka was never the best anime of the year.
-Fixing-
Sep 6, 2011 6:19 PM

Aug 2011
Best NEW shounen of the year:

Toriko.

Beats everything new I've seen this year.
Sep 6, 2011 6:21 PM

Jun 2008
Wilio said:

Not that long ago, people were saying it was the BEST anime EVER made....

Anyways, I DO believe the top 2 anime this year are MADOKA and Steins;Gate...
Sep 6, 2011 6:22 PM

Jun 2011
Madoka is riding the hype train big time. It did win the Kobe for television. Steins;Gate if it ends good can be the other major contender. Only other anime that have a AOTY nomination are Anohana and Usagi Drop. But the fall season has yet to come. So we can wait and see. But I've only seen Madoka and it's an amazing story. Good characters and has those moments. Steins;Gate I'm watching now. Seems like it's great.
THIS ISN'T GONNA END UP BEING A WAR.
Sep 6, 2011 6:22 PM

Jul 2010
Tiago97 said:
Best NEW shounen of the year:

Toriko.

Beats everything new I've seen this year.

You should watch Steins;Gate though :P
Sep 6, 2011 6:24 PM

Mar 2011
Steins Gate is great, but i vote for Madoka Magica.
Sep 6, 2011 6:28 PM
Dec 2007
Wilio said:
It's the most popular (and much better seller than Steins;Gate as of right now). But Steins;Gate is neither the best anime of this year either nor comparable to Madoka. They're two differents genres with only at the most one shared idea.

Sep 6, 2011 6:30 PM

Jun 2011
HATCHA said:
Steins;Gate.

I would certainly say Madoka could be number 2 though, it wasn't amazing but the year has been poor. If anyone says AnoHana, die, die, die...

Anohana was shit. You read the plot.......... You know what happens. THAT EASY. Plus none of the characters weren't that memorable.
Sep 6, 2011 6:34 PM

Aug 2009
HATCHA said:
Steins;Gate.

I would certainly say Madoka could be number 2 though, it wasn't amazing but the year has been poor. If anyone says AnoHana, die, die, die...

AnoHana was better than Madoka.
-Fixing-
Sep 6, 2011 6:43 PM

Sep 2010
It's not even 2012 yet. I think this should be done when all 2011 shows has already aired. Between the two I'll vote for Madoka Magica though, the problem is Steins;gate is still airing and most likely the one that is hyped now and will therefore win this.

Suggestion, this poll should be done at least a few months once the airing of steins;gate is done.
GhostalkerSep 6, 2011 6:46 PM
Sep 6, 2011 6:45 PM

Jun 2008
shadowtsunami said:
lol I never even heard of madoka

LOL....Madoka is still considered the best anime of 2011 in Japan....in terms of sales, popularity, and reception.

Anyways, it's REALLY GOOD, here in MAL it has a really good rating (8.80)

Honestly, right now, I still think MADOKA is better than Steins;Gate....but only by a little, also, we still have to wait for the FINALE next week.
Sep 6, 2011 7:04 PM
Jul 2010
lols, asking this in the steins;gate section, I wonder which will be more popular....
ko0lSep 6, 2011 7:08 PM
Sep 6, 2011 7:06 PM

Mar 2009
If you took this to the Madoka board, they'd obviously vote for Madoka over Steins;Gate. =P

As far as I'm concerned:

Steins;Gate=Ano Hana > Madoka
Sep 6, 2011 7:10 PM

Dec 2009
HATCHA said:
Steins;Gate.

I don't even like drama shows, but I LOVED AnoHana.
That's just me.
Sep 6, 2011 7:11 PM

Nov 2007
I am waiting until next week. So far, S;G beats Madoka in every aspect. Let's see how they conclude this kickass anime!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Sep 6, 2011 7:18 PM
Sep 2009
In terms of popularity and iconic value, Madoka is the superior anime of this year. It has a very distinctive visual flare that sets it apart from many other anime simply based on its overall designs and style. The magical girl outfits are great, and the Witches' labyrinths and forms are striking and memorable.

However, in terms of character development and plot, Steins;Gate far exceeds Madoka. In the simplest way I can put it, Steins;Gate had more time to flesh-out its characters and story; meanwhile, Madoka had so much more bulk to it that could have been told, yet it wasn't. Not to mention, Steins;Gate doesn't necessarily waste the time its given, either, and succeeds more narratively because of it.

My point is that if one would prefer something more visually appealing, they should look the way of Madoka; however, if they desire a greater story and characters, then Steins;Gate is the way to go~
Sep 6, 2011 7:19 PM

May 2009
As much as I enjoyed AnoHana I don't think we can call it anime of the year. The same goes for Madoka. They were really fun to watch and pretty but they also had some major setbacks.

In a year were we have Penguindrum, Usagi Drop, Wandering Son (with the first one being really promising and the other two having true character development) Anohana and Madoka simply pale in comparison.

Steins Gate on the other hand can be totally epic or a total failure depending on how it ends. We can't form an opinion unless the series ends.

Sep 6, 2011 7:22 PM
Jul 2018
The best anime of 2011 were the flashbacks to all the great shows that aired in 2010.

Aside from that, 2011 sucked.
Sep 6, 2011 7:24 PM

Jun 2008
It's going to end perfectly the same as the VN. WHICH IS AWESOME.

Madoka as awesome as it is, is like a "screamer" in horror movies. I'm scared but not mentally scared, since it's just "Mahou shojou trying not to be mahou shoujo" by breaking tropes and cliches of the mahou shoujo genre.

Steins;gate is "mentally scared".
kaimaxSep 6, 2011 7:27 PM

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Sep 6, 2011 7:25 PM

Dec 2009
For me this year is Steins;Gate, followed closely by Madoka and then AnoHana. But I'm waiting Fate/Zero, hopefully it will be great too.
Sep 6, 2011 7:31 PM

Feb 2011
Madoka is a good, solid anime and definitely one of the best of the year. However, whoever says Steins;Gate is inferior to Madoka simply based on the fact that S;G isn't as "deep" as Madoka is wrong and missing the point. It's true that Madoka explores deeper, more philosophically relevant concepts, but that's exactly why S;G is better. Steins;Gate doesn't need to try to be the next Evangelion to be good. It's good because it speaks for itself. It has great characterization and an intricate, intriguing plot full of twists and turns. Madoka is simply inferior in that aspect. Madoka's characters don't have the personality of S;G's, and Madoka's story, while rich and intriguing in its own right, isn't the maze of excitement that Steins;Gate is.

Yes, Madoka has more depth and probably more artistic value than Steins;Gate, but that's never what S;G was going for. After all, what does Steins Gate mean? It doesn't really mean anything.
Sep 6, 2011 7:36 PM

Aug 2009
AnnoKano said:
The best anime of 2011 were the flashbacks to all the great shows that aired in 2010.

Which was still way better than 2010.

2009 > 2011 > 2010.
-Fixing-
Sep 6, 2011 7:39 PM

Jun 2008
Wilio said:
AnnoKano said:

2009 > 2011 > 2010.

2006 > ALL

Enough Said...
Sep 6, 2011 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
Wilio said:
AnnoKano said:

2009 > 2011 > 2010.

Tatami Galaxy alone makes 2010 better than 2011.

Not to mention Panty and Stocking, Soredemo, K-ON!! and Kuragehime.

Nope; 2011 has been one disappointing season after another.

alexcampos said:

2006 > ALL

Enough Said...

Really?

2007 seems to have been pretty damn good, although I wasn't watching anime at the time. What good shows came out in 2006?

Certainly, the past few years have been something of a disappointment.
Sep 6, 2011 7:42 PM
Oct 2010
S;G > Madoka > > > Usagi Drop > Anohan

S;G is a completa anime. Character development + comedy + action + drama + etc etc etc
Sep 6, 2011 7:46 PM

Jun 2008
AnnoKano said:
Really?

2007 seems to have been pretty damn good, although I wasn't watching anime at the time. What good shows came out in 2006?

2007 is probably in 2nd place...

Anyways 2006 is LEGENDARY:

Death Note
Code Geass
Kanon 2006
Black Lagoon
Hellsing Ultimate
The Melancholy of Haruhi
xxxHolic
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Ouran High School Host Club
Welcome to the NHK
Fate/Stay Night
Zero no Tsukaima

Look it up all these anime are very HIGHLY rated and very popular.
Sep 6, 2011 7:47 PM

Dec 2010
AnnoKano said:

For me; Aria the Natural, Black Lagoon, Death Note, Higurashi, and Welcome to the NHK were all 8+. It also had Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Code Geass, Nodame Cantabile, Ah! My Goddess s2 and Kanon.

As for the poll, S;G > Madoka.

P.S. F/S N came out in 2005 winter, apparently.
Sep 6, 2011 7:48 PM

Feb 2011
AnnoKano said:

Really?

I agree 2007 was amazing. Gurren Lagann, Lucky Star, Darker Than Black, motherfucking Baccano!, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
Sep 6, 2011 7:51 PM

Mar 2011
BL2W said:
In terms of popularity and iconic value, Madoka is the superior anime of this year. It has a very distinctive visual flare that sets it apart from many other anime simply based on its overall designs and style. The magical girl outfits are great, and the Witches' labyrinths and forms are striking and memorable.

However, in terms of character development and plot, Steins;Gate far exceeds Madoka. In the simplest way I can put it, Steins;Gate had more time to flesh-out its characters and story; meanwhile, Madoka had so much more bulk to it that could have been told, yet it wasn't. Not to mention, Steins;Gate doesn't necessarily waste the time its given, either, and succeeds more narratively because of it.

My point is that if one would prefer something more visually appealing, they should look the way of Madoka; however, if they desire a greater story and characters, then Steins;Gate is the way to go~

Well said, you know how Japan is, sucker for loli's
Courtesy of Paul
Sep 6, 2011 7:52 PM
Jul 2018
alexcampos said:
AnnoKano said:
Really?

2007 is probably in 2nd place...

Anyways 2006 is LEGENDARY:

Death Note
Code Geass
Kanon 2006
Black Lagoon
Hellsing Ultimate
The Melancholy of Haruhi
xxxHolic
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Ouran High School Host Club
Welcome to the NHK
Fate/Stay Night
Zero no Tsukaima

Look it up all these anime are very HIGHLY rated and very popular.

Ah, many of the shows don't really appeal to me. I like NHK but I feel it's overrated. Haruhi is decent but again overrated. I'd watch Kanon but other than that I am unmoved.

Jack_Rav mentioned Black Lagoon and Aria, I'd also watch those.

But yeah, I can understand why you'd say 2006 was the best. When it comes to titles with a wide appeal, it certainly does have a lot going for it.
Sep 6, 2011 8:02 PM

Jun 2008
^Yeah, you mentioned 2007 and that was a really great year as well, probably my second favorite.

TTGL
Lucky Star
Claymore
Darker than Black
Higurashi Kai
Clannad

Although, I don't think we'll ever have another year like 2006 or 2007, mostly because nowadays every studio does the same damn thing.

Although I will say that MADOKA and Steins;Gate for 2011 are two very good anime, even if the rest of 2011 is not so great.
Sep 6, 2011 8:08 PM

Aug 2009
AnnoKano said:
Wilio said:
AnnoKano said:

2009 > 2011 > 2010.

Tatami Galaxy alone makes 2010 better than 2011.

Not to mention Panty and Stocking, Soredemo, K-ON!! and Kuragehime.

Nope; 2011 has been one disappointing season after another.

Hum let's see.

Tatami Galaxy was different but still not a good one in my book. I, however, can see its quality.

For the others you mentioned : a big fat meh.

As for 2011 (of what I watched and what is apparently good) :

Level E
Wandering Son
AnoHana
Madoka (yes I admit it, I loved it)
Steins;Gate
Mawaru Penguindrum
Usagi Drop
Natsume Yuujinchou San
Gintama'
Kaiji 2

Not to mention, it is also a fabulous year for all of you shounen lovers :

Ao no Exorcist
Belzebub
Hunter X Hunter (upcoming)
WilioSep 6, 2011 8:31 PM
-Fixing-
Sep 6, 2011 8:24 PM
Aug 2011
i really love both animes but i gotta hand it to madoka. It took my breath away, such a wellmade anime which i gave a 10. i currently have given steins;gate a 9. maybe the last ep will change my opnion but i doubt it.

i think ppl like steins;gate more cuz its still airing so new and fresh to them
Sep 6, 2011 8:31 PM

Feb 2009
Honestly, I think Madoka is very good and I really like Homura as well as episode 10 a lot, but I do think it is quite overrated.

Whereas Steins;Gate is probably going to finish as my favourite anime ever, topping TTGL. I didn't think an anime would be able to top TTGL for me, and never thought Steins;Gate would ever come close to my top 10 when I first heard about it -- in fact, I didn't even pick it up until I decided to try it about 8 episodes in.

As for AnoHana: really? It's first two episodes were amazing, but it kind of lost some of that magic towards the end imo... still a VERY good anime (I prefer it over Madoka) but not the very best of the year to me. Still high up there, though.
Sep 6, 2011 8:35 PM
Jul 2018
Level E - Seemed alright from first episode, but I didn't enquire further.

Wandering Son - I dropped after first episode. Not because of quality but because of manga spoilers.

AnoHana - Wasn't even that aware of this until everyone started saying how awesome it was.

Madoka - Was very aware of how awesome people were saying this was. Personally, I wasn't all that impressed. Haven't even found the resolve to finish it.

Steins;Gate - Same as AnoHana.

Mawaru Penguindrum - Watched an episode and seemed interesting. Then I was busy. : |

Usagi Drop - Good but seemed to be a potential failure when I watched it.

Natsume Yuujinchou San - Never really heard about it.

Gintama' - Not interested in Gintama

Kaiji 2 - Still need to watch S1.

I suppose the main problem I have had this year is nothing has caught my interest. I haven't really finished anything from this year, because I have no enthusiasm for anything that has come out.
Sep 6, 2011 8:47 PM

Apr 2008
Madoka - haven't seen and someone spoiled a bit of stuff to me. Will watch when those spoilers leave my head.

Steins;Gate - Hmm, it has stiff competition for anime of 2011 especially Fate/zero (I don't get the hype for this show at all) and other potential sleepers. But for me, i can safely say its the best of 2011 and my #2 favorite of all time, behind Natsume Yuujinchou

AnoHana was good, but not #1, maybe top 5 the ending was ridiculous with the crying. Didn't like Penguindrum (despite being Brains Base!!), Usagi Drop looked kinda boring, Gintama is over-rated, Kaiji character designs look creepy
My Blog: Oasis Crossing ~The Book of Friends~

Forum Avatar: Fram Nara from Gundam AGE
Sep 6, 2011 9:11 PM

Jan 2011
I just didn't understand the supreme hype of Madoka. Like someone said, it really got fans who were well known with the Magical girl genre, and liked the deconstruction. One of the main parts that got people excited was the "what's gonna be fucked up this episode" theme every episode. Nothing wrong with calling it brilliant, but I feel people were overracting, some even going to say it was the best of all time.

S;G on the other hand....its hard NOT to see why it could be the best of the year. I mean this anime literally threw EVERYTHING at us. We laughed, we cried, we had humbling and inspirational moments. It didn't rely on the "shock" factor Madoka did, it told its story, and most importantly, I was able to RELATE to it. I felt Okabe's pain through this series, as if I was struggling with him. With this latest episode, him feeling confident again made ME feel confident, KNOWING that he will succeed.

Its the feeling of being so immersed, and pretty much easy for ANYONE to pick up and enjoy, because it takes the best elements from ALL genres.

While this may not be my FAVORITE of the season (I am a sucker for my Harems, right Mayo Chiki! lol) This is without a doubt one of the best series I've seen in a LONG time, and definitely WORTHY of anime of the year.
Sep 6, 2011 9:23 PM
Dec 2008
steins gate is better because of ep 23
Sep 6, 2011 9:28 PM

Jun 2011
Steins;Gate is already one of the best anime of all time. And if Hanada Jukki could act less jumpy, if White Fox got more budget, that it can be on par with its original VN or even surpass it, then it will DEFINITELY be the best anime of all time.

Steins;Gate beats Madoka in every aspects. Even if we are talking about depth. On the surface, it seems that its time travel twists are its strongest appeal. If one only views Steins;Gate as a time travel triller, a story that is being told, then you gotta watch it all over again, in another perspective. You need to become one with Okabe, to truely understand his thought, his decision, to feel his pain, his regret, the consequences for meddling with time, the foolishness of humanity, all the selfishless sacrifices, the bond between each individual, the purest of love can transcend time and space... there are just too much emotions and meanings behind Steins;Gate. And its character development is just plain "ridiculous". How often do you really care about the characters? They feel so real. "An anime more human than RL drama", worth a laugh?

All in all, Steins;Gate > Madoka. IMO Hayashi Naotaka > Urobuchi Gen. He even outright said he's a huge fan of Steins;Gate, and he had borrowed some time traveling aspects from Steins;Gate in the making of Madoka.
KansokushaSep 7, 2011 5:34 AM
Sep 6, 2011 9:30 PM

Jul 2010
Why isnt there a both option? XD I cant vote for either at this moment. they both are number 1 in my eyes. I'm sure i'll be putting it right next to madoka in my top 5 once its done airing.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Sep 6, 2011 9:35 PM

Nov 2007
BL2W said:

Every SHAFT anime ever (by Shinbo) looks like Madoka, sorry to break it to you.

Anyways Madoka had a fantastic story I give it that, but thats all it had going for it. Apart from the usual visual Shinbo shenanigans that I have already grown tired of seeing on so many shaft series, the animation was not really that good. The Soundtrack was great but its expected from Kajiura Yuki although for Kajiura standards it wasnt her best. The characters are probably the worst part of Madoka...apart from Homura and QB everyone else was too annoying to watch as they drowned in their melodramas.

Steins;Gate on the other hand has an amazing story like Madoka did, the animation is actually consistent and pretty well done, the OST is not as good as Madoka's but it still has its moments, and overall the characters just completely blow away Madoka's in terms of how likeable and how developed they are (of course Madoka being 13 episodes affects it but MANY other series have done it better in the same number of episodes in the past).

To me there is no contest on which anime is better.

PS:
game8910Sep 6, 2011 9:39 PM
Sep 6, 2011 9:38 PM

Jan 2009
S;G > Madoka although i like both specially their OSTs
Sep 6, 2011 9:40 PM

Aug 2010
I thought AnoHana was the best anime of all time ever in the world.
Sep 6, 2011 9:41 PM

Nov 2010
Stuartxtr7 said:
HATCHA said:
Steins;Gate.

I don't even like drama shows, but I LOVED AnoHana.
That's just me.

I am a sucker for drama shows, but I don't like AnoHana that much. The drama seems to be too forced in some parts, which is a huge negative (although it has a perfect 10 episode 1).

BTT, I am liking S;G more than Madoka. S;G has much more things in the store than Madoka, except popularity and graphics. The rest (especially good romance) are all over in S;G favor.
Sep 6, 2011 9:46 PM

Aug 2008
My personal favorite so far this year is definitely Steins;Gate, but Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magic would be my second favorite. I do like the animation better in MSMM than in Steins;Gate though, but I prefer the character design in Steins;Gate. Overall, I liked Steins;Gate's story more, and I liked the characters a lot more. As much as I loved MSMM, I didn't get particularly attached to any of the characters (I thought all the girls were good characters, though my favorite character was Kyuubei, but none of the characters really stood out to me), while in Steins;Gate there are multiple characters I really like, especially Okabe.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Sep 6, 2011 10:10 PM

Apr 2008
Steins gate>Ano Hana> Madoka

Madoka wasn't bad but the start and the end of the anime was just....bleh. Props for a great middle half but everytime someone compares madoka to evangelion I throw up a little.

Ano Hana was good and while I can see why some people would be put off of it and there are some blatant flaws to the show...I still like it.

Steins Gate might replace ano hana in my top 5 (final spot in top 5 switches alot) as long as the last episode doesnt fail which I doubt it's just a great anime.
Sep 7, 2011 12:31 AM

Jun 2008
Kansokusha said:
All in all, Steins;Gate > Madoka. Hayashi Naotaka > Urobuchi Gen. Gen's writing skill is no where close to that of Hayashi-sensei. He even outright said he's a huge fan of Steins;Gate, and he had borrowed some time traveling aspects from Steins;Gate in the making of Madoka.

This guy speaks the truth. No one can top Hayashi Naotaka, not even Urobuchi's Gen crazy mind.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Sep 7, 2011 12:44 AM

Feb 2011
Ghostalker said:
It's not even 2012 yet. I think this should be done when all 2011 shows has already aired. Between the two I'll vote for Madoka Magica though, the problem is Steins;gate is still airing and most likely the one that is hyped now and will therefore win this.

Suggestion, this poll should be done at least a few months once the airing of steins;gate is done.
agree on that, let the hipe calm down and the result will be much more clear
now it is
madoka hipe: low decreasing
steins;gate hipe: max

i would suggest to start a similar poll in the madoka forum and then compare the results xD

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Sep 7, 2011 1:11 AM

Jan 2008
Like someone else said, in a Steins;Gate forum, of course it will win. If you put this poll in the Madoka forum, it will get creamed.

Personally, I do not really like Madoka that much - mostly because I do not like the magical girl/moe stereotype. There is no denying the show is really good - it has amazing visuals and gripping storyline full of twists and turns. However, in the end a lot of its appeal ceomes from the moe factor. Just imagine giving all of the roles to guys instead of cute girls - it would be nowhere near as popular.

Steins;Gate, on the other hand has become one of my favorite shows ever. Never since TTGL have I had a show move me so much emotionally. The last few episodes especially have been outstanding and have managed to make me constantly think about this show even when it's not airing. Depending on the ending, it might become a top 3 show for me along TTGL and One Piece.

So, in the end for me Steins;Gate is much better, but overall I would say Madoka is much more popular since it panders more to hardcore otaku moe lovers.

Ano Hana was really disappointing - it started off great and kept building up for something amazing which never came. The finale was just a big crying fest - talk about forced drama.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Come up with a ridiculous reason to take off the user's clothes above

Absurdo_N - 2 minutes ago

3 by Absurdo_N »»
17 seconds ago

» Deny or Comply v.4 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 5, 2021

7378 by MitsukiHimeka »»
2 minutes ago

» Vent something v.3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Steph - May 7, 2023

6248 by Wendoka »»
3 minutes ago

» Which _____ am I? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 30, 2019

221 by IpreferEcchi »»
3 minutes ago

» The user above is your roommate in prison, what is your reaction? ( 1 2 )

Absurdo_N - May 5

78 by Absurdo_N »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.