Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2011 3:06 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a totally awesome end to this part of Lupin.

At first I thought Laputa made it in, but this actually was 6 years before Miyazaki did that movie. After a little more research, knowing that this was Miyazaki's last Lupin work made in even sweeter as you can totally see it. I loved when Lupin jumped on the robot, his hair blowing in the wind while speaking calmly to the heroine.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2012 12:46 PM

Jan 2012
Couldn't agree more! I was also a bit surprised about seeing the characteristic robot at first. Great episode and ending to the second series!
Jan 13, 2013 3:23 AM

Jul 2010
Nausicaa pilots a Laputa Robot in Lupin anime.
What a great collaboration.
Nov 28, 2013 7:15 PM

Jun 2010
I thought this was quite poor as a finale to this series. The whole fantastical anti-war thing doesn't really feel like a Lupin story. It's also a little incoherent. I assume Mika had only met the imposter Lupin, but when the real one shows up, they act like they know each other.

Having an imposter Lupin and company and having the real ones swoop in at the end sounds like a neat idea for the last episode, but since this way it just feels like the episode wanted to tell a completely different kind of story.
Mar 14, 2014 4:21 PM
Dec 2009
Nowhere near as good as episode 145. The set-up is definitely interesting but the execution feels rushed. I can't help but think that this would have been better as a movie.
Nov 22, 2014 1:46 AM

Jan 2010
Yup, despite never watched Nausicaa, I immediately recognized it just by Ghibli art + flying machine. Nice closure to the second series and a good reminder that I should probably get around to watching The Castle of Cagliostro sometime.
May 8, 2015 7:16 PM

Apr 2012
I was underwhelmed too. 145 was so much better.
Sep 20, 2016 6:41 PM
Sep 2007
I liked it, but I think it would have been better if it was two episodes long story.

Still, it was really nice to see Miyazaki's direction once again, as well as hearing beautiful voice of Sumi Shimamoto who voiced some other Miyazaki's heroines as Maki.

Anyway, great episode to end great series.

Too bad Miyazaki wouldn't direct more Lupin III titles.
Nov 13, 2016 12:33 PM

Apr 2013
The theme song "I'm a superhero" tells you what appeal this part two has and goes for. Lupin is cool, smart and popular and you can revel in it if you also want to feel cool, smart, popular and euphoric by watching him inevitably break all the obstacles in his path with such grand style and pose. :/
Dec 31, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2012
In which the series ends, with an episode directed by Hayao Miyazaki which sees "Zenigata" come to the aid of a young woman named Maki and her robot Lamda after Lupin's crew uses her for evil. First, garbage subtitles Crunchyroll. Worse than usual. Second, HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! So glad I was able to complete this before midnight to end 2016. Anyway, a somewhat strange episode for a finale considering the real Fujiko, Jigen and Goemon were barely in it and the real Lupin was disguised as Zenigata for most of it. I realized it when he remarked how cute Maki looked early on, but enough time passed before the official reveal that I forgot again. :D The episode itself was...fine. Unlike in 145, which I'd say was better than this, the characters didn't really look much different than how they usually have in recent episodes. Fujiko in particular looked nothing like her 145 version. To the extent that I wouldn't have been able to tell Miyazaki directed this if it weren't for Maki and Lamda. Maki herself looks like a Nausicaa prototype, and I know I've seen a robot very similar to Lamda in a Miyazaki film, but I can't recall which off-hand. I wanna say Nausicaa or Castle in the Sky, though it's been about 10 years since I've seen them.

So that's it, the longest of the 5 Lupin series(including Fujiko Mine) by far complete. It's been a long and largely enjoyable journey. I won't act like there weren't plenty of stinkers along the way, or plots and plot points recycled ad nauseam, especially in the final third or so of the series, but I had fun. The good outweighed the bad overall I'd say. This being the fourth Lupin series I've finished I don't really feel like I have anything to say about the characters or much else that I haven't already said before though honestly. That nearly every episode was standalone doesn't really help that either. I gave enough thoughts for nearly every individual episode already anyway. :D I dunno that I could pick a favorite episode off hand, but that Nessie one from near the beginning still stands out in my mind as one I loved. Jigen helping the ice skater, Fujiko helping the twins, Lupin vs. the evil conductor, 145, Goemon aiding the little girl, etc...there's plenty to choose from. I'm not sure this deserves the 8/10 overall score I intended to give it for awhile now after that final third batch of episodes, it probably doesn't, but I'll be nice and keep it there. So now all that remains of Lupin for me are most of the movies/ovas, and the 50 episode Part III, which from what little I've seen looks to be a black sheep of sorts for the franchise. I kinda wanna start it right away because of that, but I'm so burnt out on Lupin I'd probably put it on hold a couple episodes in so...we'll see. :D
Feb 14, 2017 3:57 AM

Jul 2008
Nausicca anyone? Anything Miyazaki does looks great, this was a decent way to end the series.

6/10 overall.
Mar 13, 2019 9:43 PM
Jul 2018
I personally find this episode better than episode 145 although at the end of the day, like many episodes, this too could benefit from double length episode. It started really strange not showing any Lupin's gang for whole 3/4th of the episode still I consider this was nice change of pace. These last 20 episodes have been consistently great and definitely wished it was more than 155 since it was kept getting better. Anyway this was I also really liked the title which also fits as Miyazaki's last involvement with Lupin franchise. Anyway I think these two Miyazaki's episode does feels quite out of place compare to rest episodes since tone clearly feels different but I liked them overall. He really likes making heroic moments (as well like related to airplane stuff) which is really cool. I feel he really quite changed after the exit of part 1 maybe.

Overall finishing this long number of episodes did felt like a journey and was great experience! Initially I was overwhelmed by 155 ep but glad I didn't just watched top 10 episodes lists since there were great numbers of episodes really worth watching like hundred of them and yet at the same time have to admit there were meh episode that were mostly from between 80-125 episode (not 90-105) which few of them were completely garbage and too comedic. Still really took time to finish all these and served as great relaxation time for me. As for the op/ed, I liked the first/second ed song and the second op song. The osts were the same and surprisingly never feels old to me. Always gave me pleasant feels.

Many episodes had cool ideas with lot of nice memorable moments albeit can be unwell-written (and not well researched) which is understandable since these were made under limited time production and was very 70s. I don't think there was that many long-running original shows made back then (only very few episodes were adapted from manga). I also loved how most of the episodes does parodies the historical themes and pays homage to lot of movies. list of trivia here. Absolutely loved those. I find it very difficult to say which were favorite episodes but at the end overall finishing all the way was definitely was satisfying and enjoyable experience for me. 8/10, or even might vote 10 depends on my feeling afterwards.
Mar 20, 2019 10:03 AM

Oct 2012
The animation quality.. oh wow, seems like they're having big budget xD
I recognize the Ghibli studios' art

Doesn't feel like the usual Lupin with that kind of artstyle
Still it's good, really good

I'm guessing they need help to make last episode memorable, so they hire more animators & staffs
The quality is just way different than usual
"Signature removed"
Jul 25, 2019 1:21 PM

Sep 2011
Another Miyazaki episode, certainly amongst the best ones, and it was a great way to end Part II. I love that some of his ideas, like the robot and Maki's design, ended up being used on Nausicaä and Laputa later on. The moment when the real Lupin team showed up, with Fujiko recording it all as evidence, was amazing. I'm glad Lupin could help Maki, and her father's invention won't be used to kill.
Jul 25, 2019 7:11 PM

Nov 2016
That was certainly a great way to end this part. Also kinda crazy that Nausicaa made it into this episode before the movie (and even before the manga started getting published)

And well, all good things come to an end. I actually expected to watch this within a year or so, but Lupins adventure were quite addicting and it was hard to hold back. Lots of different approaches and settings with a very endearing cast of characters made this a fun ride through and through. Some patterns were noticeable, but it was never a chore and despite the episodic nature it mostly felt fresh. Better than the original series for me. Already looking forward to part 3 and the countless movies.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 28, 2021 4:38 AM

Feb 2012
I disliked this episode immensely. Sure, I could see the big budget, more detailed animation and especially backgrounds. But this was even less like a Lupin episode than 145. I mean Lupin and the gang hardly even make an appearance and when they finally do, the behaviour is off, probably because the plot itself is very different. Miyazaki has Lupin be a good guy who's just helping to make the world a better place. It's strange because I didn't think Miyazaki was a big name at this point, and yet when he gets to direct he's given free rein. It doesn't matter if it's not Lupin III at all, he just does whatever he wants, flying robots and this MC with a red jacket saving the world, though of course Maki is the real hero. I think it's a really poor way to end the series when the main characters are sidelined because Miyazaki had an unrelated story in mind and just added the gang in as an afterthought. I have a feeling I won't like The Castle of Cagliostro...

Anyway, I'm happy to have watched the whole series. The quality stayed pretty consistent throughout the series. Of course there were stinkers every now and then, but those were scattered throughout the series, not sequential episodes. I was more bothered by certain plot points being repeated over and over again, but taking my time to watch this helped with that. The enjoyment largely wasn't in the plot, as 24 minutes often isn't enough to feel involved, but in the characters themselves. And this is probably why this last episode was such a disappointment too: it took away most of what made the series great, the characters and their elaborate plans or sometimes silly antics, without really having enough space to develop a plot that would have been satisfying instead.
FeorgJan 28, 2021 5:08 AM
Feb 28, 2021 6:40 AM
Mar 2016
It is simply great, a gem. "Elements from the Hayao Miyazaki directed episode 155 were reused for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Castle in the Sky." I'm just happy I've seen it, the proud ending of the series.
Jul 30, 2023 1:14 PM

Aug 2018
The moment I saw that giant robot I knew Miyazaki’s fingerprints were all over this episode , even the animation quality itself was clearly better than anything from regular 70sh anime, also Nausicaa foreshadowing technically taken place here too
Mar 16, 1:33 PM
Oct 2017
Old, like it came out in the 70's
Mar 16, 5:22 PM
Superior

Apr 2008
New, like it came out in 1980.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 65 Discussion

Serhiyko - Aug 24, 2013

8 by wallus81 »»
Apr 1, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 23 Discussion

animefan8800 - Mar 25, 2016

5 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 22, 11:45 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 5 Discussion

Arcanus - Aug 10, 2013

5 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 22, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 16 Discussion

Fronzel - Oct 3, 2012

8 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 22, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 59 Discussion

Shocked - Oct 18, 2014

7 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 22, 10:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.