Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2011 12:13 PM

Apr 2008
That's what all entertainment and hobbies are for, aren't they?

So, to answer your question, yes.
Jul 10, 2011 1:03 PM
Jul 2007
PockyBebop said:
That's what all entertainment and hobbies are for, aren't they?

So, to answer your question, yes.

I mean we all want to get away, but I mean there are people that get so deep in their fantasy world, they don't want to come back to the real world.
Jul 10, 2011 1:32 PM

May 2011
I wouldn't say I use anime to escape reality, though i do use it to cheer myself up from time to time.
Jul 10, 2011 1:37 PM

Jul 2009
Not intentionally but while marathoning anime all day you sort of lose your worries you had. I sort of recognize that feeling when you start to remember things you had to do/worry about as 'coming back to reality' xD
Jul 10, 2011 1:38 PM
Jul 2007
I know what you mean. Worrying is the worst part of life I think.
Jul 10, 2011 3:17 PM
Jul 2011
Some time in my life. Sometimes you don't want think about your daily routine. So this is why there are anime.
Jul 10, 2011 4:53 PM

Jul 2007
I argue that pretty much any form of entertainment is used as an escape from reality. It doesn't mean that we hate our reality but of course you want to change it up cause the same thing all the time in boring.
Jul 10, 2011 4:57 PM

Oct 2010
Yes. It also serves to inspire me to further enhance my reality.

Jul 10, 2011 7:17 PM

Jun 2011
kylemike13 said:
I wouldn't say I use anime to escape reality, though i do use it to cheer myself up from time to time.

Same with me. I don't use anime to "escape", per se, but sometimes I like to immerse myself in it, and other times I wish the real was more like anime.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Jul 10, 2011 7:24 PM
Jul 2011
dun't think so ,
but i must admit,
i tend to lose myself in the animes *~*
it's liek close the door, shut every noise in the house & enjoy the anime *-*! <3
Jul 10, 2011 7:43 PM

Jun 2011
I don't think I do it intentionally, or even consciously, but when I start thinking about it, it explains quite a bit about my life...

Jul 10, 2011 8:27 PM
Jul 2011
I'm worse if it's an online game. I tend to watch anime with characters i can relate to, and whom remind me of my close friends as well as the times we shared together. I wouldn't necessarily consider that escaping reality, more like reminiscing.
Jul 15, 2011 2:15 PM

Jul 2011
I guess you could say that i watch anime to escape although i can come back anytime i want to if i want to. But i do worry a lot about everything and it does make everything seem so easy when you do watch anime, if you know the feeling. And i do other things that help me escape as well
Jul 15, 2011 3:40 PM

Jun 2007
Nobody would desire any form of entertainment if their own lives were satisfying. Needing to invest in the stories of fictional characters to derive enjoyment from life is, whichever way you look at it, pure escapism. Why else would people enjoy romances and the like if not their own failings preventing them for feeling the same emotions and dealing with the same issues in reality?

JRPGs and anime require long-term investment and tend to include elements that appeal to... the lonely. It's no surprise anime has a bad rep among 'normal' folk.

Me? Sure - I NEED something to distract me. Whether it's movies, books, animation or masturbating, as long as I'm not thinking about myself, that's my happiness. It's a fake, superficial happiness but it's the best I can do.
Jul 15, 2011 3:51 PM
Apr 2011
i wouldn't call it escape but considering this tells me that the anime i have watched adds up to about 280 days if we do at least 6 hrs of sleep i have been running for about a year now and i plan to keep on running till i get away
Jul 15, 2011 4:06 PM

Jan 2011
Hmmm I guess I'd say it puts reality on hold?
Jul 15, 2011 4:19 PM

Apr 2007
I guess so but not consciously
Jul 15, 2011 4:29 PM

Jun 2011
No. I can learn more by watching anime than in my English classes.
School is just boring.
The threat is stronger than the execution.
Jul 15, 2011 4:55 PM

Feb 2011
I'd say yes, if I'm having a shitty day/week I'll watch a lot of anime and forget about all my troubles
Jul 15, 2011 5:13 PM

Jan 2010
I guess it can be a form of escapism.. but not really.
I don't watch anime with the sole intention of escaping from reality.
For me, it's just something I can use to either waste a shit load of time on or to actually enjoy an experience (which is the escapism-ish bit).
It's not like reality is shit. I'm not trying to get out of it.
Iit's just sometimes something is interesting to read.

Really.. any fiction could be rather escapist..
Jul 15, 2011 5:26 PM

Feb 2010
Al_Gore said:
everyone has some form of escapism from reality whether it be anime, video games, sports, sex, drugs, etc.

^

Jul 15, 2011 5:43 PM

Jan 2010
Huh... isn't entertainment overall used as an outlet to divert your attention from real life and its stressful problems?
Jul 15, 2011 7:14 PM

Jun 2008
Anime, manga, movies, music, internet, sleeping, daydreaming... You get the point.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Jul 16, 2011 5:53 AM

Jan 2010
No, I watch anime because I enjoy it.
Jul 16, 2011 6:00 AM

Jul 2011
nope.. its just like primary entertainment for me.
Jul 16, 2011 6:18 AM

Mar 2009
In Soviet Russia, the world uses anime to escape you!
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Jul 16, 2011 7:07 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Well I avoid thinking serious stuff most of the time so I guess yeah ? But I don't do it on purpose , I like anime and manga and video games and ofc when I occupy myself with those , I usually focus on them xD When I'm seriously thinking , I'm not motivated to watch and stuff ~
Jul 16, 2011 8:46 AM
Jun 2011
yes ,sometimes, I feel kinda sad and lonely(I dont know why though...) when Im in school, so I watch anime when I get home..
Jul 16, 2011 10:25 AM
Jul 2011
I think it's just an aspect of society today that people are faced with an immense amount of stress which causes them to need to find somewhere to "escape" to, whether it's a physical or fictional realm.

I challenge you to go and find somebody who loves everything about their lives and have absolutely nothing to be stressed about or escape from.

Children under 10 don't count, they've got it easy. :3

Oh and to actually answer the question- I totally use anime to escape from reality, amongst other outlets as well!
Jul 16, 2011 12:05 PM

Jul 2011
gr3yt3d said:
I think it's just an aspect of society today that people are faced with an immense amount of stress which causes them to need to find somewhere to "escape" to, whether it's a physical or fictional realm.

I challenge you to go and find somebody who loves everything about their lives and have absolutely nothing to be stressed about or escape from.

Children under 10 don't count, they've got it easy. :3

Oh and to actually answer the question- I totally use anime to escape from reality, amongst other outlets as well!

I totally agree with this post. Some people just can't handle what goes on in their reality so the use things to bring the thoughts of stressful or sad things to something that will make you think, laugh, and sometimes even love. I know because it has happened to me in anime like Clannad or Angel Beats. Mostly animations by Key because the way it effects your heart. After you finish an intense anime it makes you think about it and it makes you want to be in that world of the anime...so basically you are craving for more?
Jul 17, 2011 7:01 PM

Sep 2009
If anything I would call it "escaping from boredom". I watch anime for the same reason I watch live action shows and cartoons. Because I have nothing else to do, so I guess I consider it a hobby moreso than an escape.
Jul 19, 2011 10:52 PM

Jun 2011
Used to, back in the day...
It's just a mere entertainment to me now. I can only watch it when I can (that's like, for a month in a year).
Jul 19, 2011 11:57 PM
Jul 2011
It's certainly fun. But kind of depressing when you come back to the real world. You sometimes wish that reality would allow you to fall into cliche moments that animes often have xD.

But I definitey still use anime to escape from the world. Especially when everyone is busy. Though I doubt I'll have the time when university starts to kick in :\
Jul 20, 2011 1:04 PM

Jul 2011
ItsSoPringles said:
i play video games to escape reality, i watch anime to get a damn good story though i will admit i lose myself in them somtimes with the really good ones,

completely agree! Videogames and mmorpgs help me escape, they're more fun most of the time
anime is more like something to fill boredom but then it gets addictive if you're really into an awesome anime xD
Jul 20, 2011 1:09 PM

Aug 2010
I use it to escape (I thought I answered on this already). I'll admit it, sometimes I just wish I could go to an anime world but I always manage to bring myself back to the real world. Right now though, I just had surgery and have to rest so what better to do but to lock myself up and watch anime for a long vacation, haha.
Jul 20, 2011 1:41 PM

Dec 2008
nahh, never used it to escape anything, just like it to end my boredom.
Jul 20, 2011 4:17 PM
Apr 2011
jep i use it and also gaming to escape.
got a hard life here so need to escape with something.
Jul 20, 2011 6:16 PM

Apr 2011
I'm fine with my life. Don't need to escape with anime, its more like a hidden hobby.
Jul 21, 2011 8:16 PM

Feb 2009
Well, yeah. I mean, I think it's for this purpose that anime, videogames, cartoon and etc are created, no?

Well, ok, I know they are created so that the producers can gain their money but things like anime are there for making the watchers have a good time, without having to worry about the rest of the world and it's problems. So, in a way or another, I think it is a way to escape. Sometimes, when the anime is good, I feel so immersed in the story that I even imagine myself in it.

Escaping is important. I bet some people think that anime is for antisocial people because of this escaping feeling anime gives, that "normal" people should stay in the "society", interact with real humans and etc but I thinks this wrong. There's nothing wrong about fantasazing (sorry, don't know how to write this in english) a little, as long as you can come back to reality. It's even good to broad the creativity/imagination...
Friend Code 3DS: 4914-3165-5517
Jul 22, 2011 1:33 AM

Jul 2011
Yeah. it's a rescue sometimes... before watching anime, I intended to say goodbye to happiness, friends and so on. I was preparing to be alone, but anime helped me! so now i learn how to be better and anime is a big help. To forget about bad thoughts i watch anime, to laugh i watch anime, to believe in myself i watch anime. so i can say i do escape from reality ^^ but it's not so bad! I'm very thankful Japan for these

p.s. sorry for my English (^o^'')
Jul 22, 2011 5:32 AM

Aug 2009
An escape? No. Anime to me is a means of entertainment. I treat it just the same as any type of media; movies, tv shows, live action or cartoons, even video games, doesn't matter. Like all I mentioned above, I watch anime because I enjoy it. Period.

Some people here find reality depressing. For me, it's the exact opposite. I once thought anime was an escape too, but I realized it was one of the reasons why my depression got so heavy over the years. It's like when you watch a show you like and then when it's over, you miss it so bad you'd prefer to stay there than go outside. That's precisely the reason why I was so reluctant to watch a lot of anime in the past. It's different nowadays; I was finally able to get over my depression. At the same time, anime doesn't affect me in that way anymore. I'm glad I see it as an entertainment now rather than treating it as a means to run away from the world.

I hate to say this, but hey, reality is reality. Too fuckin' bad. Suck it up.
dietmangoJul 22, 2011 6:16 AM
Jul 22, 2011 12:18 PM

Sep 2009
I just watch anime when I am bored.... Don't know if that counts as escaping from reality.... Same goes for any hobby I have...
Jul 22, 2011 12:22 PM

May 2008
Skyzong said:
Yup
Jul 23, 2011 5:43 PM

May 2011
I wouldn't say I use anime as an escape in the sense that I need one. I don't have any trauma or drama to escape from; I have a very good life and am very fortunate.

However, I use anime as an escape because I'm bored. I find humanity disappointing and the world even more so.

Even the most realistic anime can seem like some great fantasy when compared to deadening reality.
Jul 23, 2011 6:03 PM

Mar 2010
i dont use anime to escape from reality i just use it to forget about it for a time almost the same but a bit diffrent in my opinion

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Jul 23, 2011 7:30 PM

May 2011
My current life is pretty shitty, so i certainly use anime to escape my problems..the moment i stop watching, i suddenly hate everything and everyone.
<center></center>
Jul 24, 2011 2:51 AM

Jun 2011
i want to escape reality and live in the ideal world just like keima-sama.
This world will be devoured up by my darkness
Decimo D. Dark Tenth Generation Boss of Darkness

Jul 24, 2011 2:54 AM

Oct 2009
Forever alone.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2011 6:08 PM
Jan 2011
I love anime because it feels like you are part of so many adventures. I get really into them and get very attached to the characters so I would say I use it as a sort of escape.
Jul 24, 2011 7:01 PM

Jul 2011
No I just get drunk.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

29 by Haneken2086 »»
27 seconds ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

67 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
5 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

37 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
25 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

67 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
29 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 9 hours ago

29 by Jackson1333 »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.