Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2007 2:00 PM

Oct 2006
<strong>THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.</strong><br />----------------------------------------
<br /><br />This show's pacing always manages to surprise me, positively.
So, there some interesting revelations in this episode, but also more and more questions arose. And I keep being more convinced that the Holy Sage is the headman of some sort of conspiracy in the court, at each passing ep.
Things will probably start to heat up in the next ep, since it seems not only Shuga, but the court and the hunters will learn that Chagum is still alive. Can't wait.
Jul 24, 2007 11:22 PM

Jan 2007
Beautiful episode. Sagum was just...wow. It was great to learn more about the situation at hand with Chagum and getting into Sagum's psyche. Nexto episode seems exciting, looking forward to it.
Jul 25, 2007 4:40 AM

May 2007
A bit boring, but we know a little more about the egg, the history, and what's should happen. It's almost end of summer, so we still have a ways to go until the next spring.
Jul 25, 2007 2:33 PM

Jun 2007
aww man Sagum died. now there is no apparent heir to the throne! He was such a good character but it was nice that he died peacefully. Damn can't wait for the next episode! Its got the Hunters in it! Also, I agree with Kayrhandro, that Holy Sage seems sinister. He had access to that whole story thing that reveals the truth so he could know what Shuga knows and more!

Jul 25, 2007 9:29 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Ah, I really don't understand why Sagum died. Misery? Despair? Whyyyy? He was a cool character. I thought he'd put up more of a fight. :(
Jul 25, 2007 10:50 PM

Apr 2007
Sagum really died or he was just resting? =(
Jul 26, 2007 3:04 AM

May 2007
My guess is that he died of exhaustion and stress. It seemed that he was unhealthy too as he looks a bit ill and would cough previous episodes.
Jul 26, 2007 7:36 AM

Jun 2007
He was already described as sickly and I inferred that meant he was not long for this world. The episode was called young death and it could refer to Chagum's fate but I think Sagum died because he told his adviser to work together with Shuga implying he would no longer need his services. Also, he let the crane fly away because he would no longer be able to take care of it. All hinting of his imminent death.

Jul 26, 2007 8:31 AM

Jun 2007
gah sad episode, sagum died without even knowing his brother is still avile :/
Jul 27, 2007 12:29 PM

Jun 2007
what. so he really did die? that's lame
Jul 27, 2007 4:39 PM

Oct 2006
So he died...? heh... I mean that's the first thing that crossed my mind once he fell, but his adviser seemed so calm after seeing him that it made me think he had just collapsed out of exhaustion. I mean.. not a single tear...? he kind smiled actually.
It seems logical now that you brought it up... but honestly I'm not convinced... And if he really did die, it was done in a very lame way.. IMHO.
Jan 13, 2009 4:10 AM

Jul 2008
Sagum died, huh, what? This episode was slower than all the others, the first one I didn't like.
Apr 7, 2009 12:32 PM

Feb 2009
Aw man the crown prince died who gonna be the next king or emperor? I mean they are after Chagum to kill him no?
Jun 18, 2009 2:21 AM

Nov 2007
It seems Sagum does have the power to sway people's hearts, and two stories running parallel, wonder what will happen, between Shuga and Balsa.
Jul 28, 2009 2:24 PM

Jun 2008
It looks like Sagum is dead.
Dec 15, 2009 9:05 PM

May 2008
Kayrhandros said:
but his adviser seemed so calm after seeing him that it made me think he had just collapsed out of exhaustion. I mean.. not a single tear...? he kind smiled actually.

I interpreted that as sort of feeling that Sagum was being released from his weariness and stress.
Mar 28, 2010 10:00 PM

Sep 2008
Agreed. Sagum was already ill and death essentially freed him from his pain. The star reader (Gakai?) had years to prepare himself since the prince had apparently been ill for a very long time. He probably was sad, but at the same time if he did really care about Sagum then he'd also feel a bit of happiness at the fact that his pain ended.

Well Shuga has escaped the hole - was he really reading in the dark??? I mean, of course WE could see, but he was in a hole in the ground with no way out except through a slab of stone that was locked in place. He'd been under for too long for the torches to still burn...

So he was essentially reading those chronicles like one would read Braille and he was doing it THAT QUICKLY? A bit too unreal for me.

All that aside - he seems far more energetic now that he knows Chagum is truly alive. But he is once again leading the hunters to his charge like a fool... bringing Chagum's situation to the Master Star Reader's attention before is what cause the assassination attempts on Chagum and now Shuga is once again foolishly rushing to see the prince without making certain that it's safe.

Granted, the hunters are trained to be stealthy, but still... once again Shuga doesn't think.

And I'm starting to really despise the brown-haired hunter who tried to kill Chagum as a thank you for his kindness years before. First he tries to kill Chagum, then when the swordsmith interrogates him and the Captain he's too self-centered to understand why anyone would willingly protect a child that didn't belong to them.

What? Seriously? You wouldn't protect an innocent kid that was placed in your care?

Jerk.
Jun 5, 2010 7:27 AM
Feb 2008
Fionartan said:
Agreed. Sagum was already ill and death essentially freed him from his pain. The star reader (Gakai?) had years to prepare himself since the prince had apparently been ill for a very long time. He probably was sad, but at the same time if he did really care about Sagum then he'd also feel a bit of happiness at the fact that his pain ended.

Well Shuga has escaped the hole - was he really reading in the dark??? I mean, of course WE could see, but he was in a hole in the ground with no way out except through a slab of stone that was locked in place. He'd been under for too long for the torches to still burn...

So he was essentially reading those chronicles like one would read Braille and he was doing it THAT QUICKLY? A bit too unreal for me.

All that aside - he seems far more energetic now that he knows Chagum is truly alive. But he is once again leading the hunters to his charge like a fool... bringing Chagum's situation to the Master Star Reader's attention before is what cause the assassination attempts on Chagum and now Shuga is once again foolishly rushing to see the prince without making certain that it's safe.

Granted, the hunters are trained to be stealthy, but still... once again Shuga doesn't think.

And I'm starting to really despise the brown-haired hunter who tried to kill Chagum as a thank you for his kindness years before. First he tries to kill Chagum, then when the swordsmith interrogates him and the Captain he's too self-centered to understand why anyone would willingly protect a child that didn't belong to them.

What? Seriously? You wouldn't protect an innocent kid that was placed in your care?

Jerk.

Shuga reading said tablets in braille fast is not too unbelivable considering his role as head star diviner(?) he probably has extensive training in said skill so he's pretty adept at it.

As for the warrior, he has a different mindset. To him the mission comes before anything else. He knows that Balsa is not a soldier per say and doesn't understand why she doesn't just fall back on self preservation since she technically has no mission or at least a commitment as deep as his own. He's young and probably a little too caught up on his role as a secret ninja dude for the Emperor so I would think his thinking would fall along those lines.

Sagum always seemed weird to me. He was just kinda there. i always suspected that he had some sort of ulterior motive to me but I guess not :/
Aug 2, 2010 9:33 PM

Jun 2009
Omg! 2 careless duty that Master Shuga would lead to danger

Bird moment and how the papers flew freely in the wind, I really thought Prince Sagum was just tired and sleeping - but
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 28, 2010 1:41 PM

Sep 2008
ashura said:
gah sad episode, sagum died without even knowing his brother is still avile :/

I think he did know... At least, he seemed to know that there was something more that Shuga had to tell him. And he did say he could live on because Chagum was dead, but... perhaps once he thought that Chagum was alive, he gave into the exhaustion that he was putting up with before?

In any case, Sagum was sick before, as we all know and as had been referenced/mentioned a couple times, and everyone was always asking about his health... Then there was his coughing... It is sad that he died young. And I would join in with people saying his death is lame, but... in a way, isn't it nice that he went peacefully? (Kind of cliché with the bird thing though, I must say...)
Sep 2, 2010 10:09 PM

May 2010
I love how the bird nods back.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 1, 2010 5:36 PM

Oct 2010
Well I guess people is kind of used with characters reacting so quickly after a certain death. Real life ain't like that.

Gakai didn't realize back then Sagum had died. That's the case.

Maybe he checked his pulse first before going berserk, as people wish he should be, I don't know.

And if we pay more attention on the silent moments the characters have, their thoughts would be pretty clear: Sagum died NOT knowing his brother is alive. When he saw Shuga stepping down the stairs with that face we now know that he felt his time had come, along these lines "a pity you still have things to consider, Shuga, this is your last time talking to me."

That's one of the thing I love most about this anime: every moment counts. If we go from episode through episode only seeking the advancement of the plot, action, suspense yadda yadda we aren't seeing everything.

By the way I might be the only person feeling sympathetic to Sagum here. Shed a few tears. I feel some personal attraction to him through his small scenes. Some similarities...
fianeNov 1, 2010 5:42 PM
Jan 5, 2011 1:14 AM

Oct 2009
Sagum :(((
Jan 17, 2012 7:48 AM

Aug 2008
aww, another good person is gone... :(
Mar 7, 2012 3:04 PM

Aug 2010
Kind of a lame death. There wasn't a clear cause for his death. I hope they explain what happened in the next episodes.
Jun 27, 2013 9:43 AM

Sep 2009
:'( Tears in my eyes.... Sagum died early.. So sad. He didn't know that his brother is still alive. Ugh!!! This episode is so sad. ><
Jun 28, 2013 4:16 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Yeah it was sad that Sagum died without knowing that Chagum was still alive. Shuga, you should've told him! Sagum's death was bittersweet, he looked so exhausted and sickly, yet he died with a smile on his face. I love how he nodded at the bird, and the bird nodded back. The bird's flight I guess symbolizes Sagum's freedom in death, and his final breath was like a sigh of relief, with the breeze that seemed to come from the room and not from the outside. ;_; Although we didn't know you for long, you will be missed, Sagum.

Hm about Shuga going to confirm that Chagum is alive, I'm thinking Jin is going to follow him? Not only that, but even if he does find out that Chagum is alive and reports his findings to the Master Star Reader, I doubt that's going to change anything because it seems like the Master Star Reader may already know of this...or something. He seems like the big bad of the anime, though I could be wrong. Oh yeah, and poor guy who sacrificed his job for Shuga to find out about Chagum.
Feb 15, 2014 7:49 PM

Nov 2009
Sagum knew that Chagum was alive, or atleast that is what the anime intended to extremely heavily imply. We first hear him say that the fact that Chagum is dead is what keeps him from dying of exhaustion himself. Then when he asks Shuga what he came to talk about, Shuga realizing that it would be better not to bring it up says that his urgent news actually wasn't too important and apologized for nothing thinking it through before coming to him (In other words, after Sagum's words decided it best not to state his news), however Sagum picked up on this in the end when you see him sort of grow more weary as Shuga leaves. And then finally, he actually does finally succumb to the exhaustion in the end, something he said was being kept away by the knowledge that Chagum was dead, however if that should change . . .

Anyways, I actually wasn't expecting Sagum to die so soon . . . I sort of expected Shuga to die.
Jan 15, 2015 2:31 AM

Jan 2013
Good tension in the star reading library.
Feb 13, 2015 9:26 AM
Aug 2014
Sagum's death impacted me more than I thought it would. I hope he knew Chagum was still when he passed away.
Mar 17, 2015 2:12 AM

Nov 2013
Now that Shuga knows that Chagum is alive, I wonder what might happen next?

Awww. Shuga never got to tell Sagum that Chagum was still alive. ; __ ;

Pretty good episode. It only gets better from here.

7/10

Apr 29, 2015 2:40 PM

Nov 2010
Was not prepared for Shuga's death... gd.. ):
Sep 24, 2015 10:16 PM

Mar 2012
Dam, Sagum did always look tired as hell : /

Confucius said:

Same xD
Nov 7, 2015 6:55 PM
Mar 2013
Not going to lie his death was probably the lamest death I've seen in any show. Needs way more foreshadowing to feel earned in my opinion. Have him constantly cough or something. Or have him faint or be bedridden in previous episodes. As it stands his death just seems completely pointless. Its almost laughable how bad it is lol
Jan 1, 2016 2:10 PM
Oct 2013
Beautiful episode.
May 9, 2016 7:44 AM

Apr 2013
Confucius said:

I feel the same, it's a sort of bittersweet mutual understanding. No words needed
Dec 30, 2016 5:02 AM

Apr 2009
Come on everyone.. Sagum is only sleeping. T__T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2017 10:53 PM

Oct 2012
Even the bird don't want to leave before Sagum nodded to it
Aww bird, goodbye :(
Just when I grow fond of Sagum

Good guys always die first
Young death indeed T_T
"Signature removed"
Sep 26, 2018 1:59 PM

Sep 2011
So everything will happen on that fateful day of spring. The egg will hatch, and Chagum will be attacked by the "La Lunga", which we don't know what is. Well, since summer is ending now, they still have to survive during the fall, and winter.

I guess that the death cited in the episode title was the one of Sagum, he almost became an adult... It's a pity that he departed this world believing that his little brother was dead. It was a really poignant, and beautiful scene, with the release of the bird, I loved it. But now that Shuga confirmed that Chagum is still alive, the hunters will start to hunt Balsa, and Chagum again. Just when he was happy and carefree with his new life, there is the threat of the "La Lunga" which he still doesn't know, and now the manhunt, poor kid.
Aug 29, 2019 6:15 AM

May 2015
Lol, Sagun is like...lol dead. xD
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 21, 2021 12:37 PM

Jul 2017
Pretty beautiful yet melancholic episode at the very end with the passing of Chagum's brother, Sagum. Chagum was always destined in a sense to be the leader among the two but despite his seeming passing, Sagum gave it his all, even if the work and stress and life without his brother was too much to handle for his fragile body. The way he passed on with such beautiful music playing in the background as he dies while staring at the sunlight with the bird he released flying away, symbolizing his soul flying away with freedom in the process although of a different kind and tone. I do wish the anime went a bit more in detail with this character, but from what I've seen from him in the show, the chemistry and love he had for his sibling and the genuine nature of his persona while always trying his best to fight on despite a ton of struggles and the lack of build to be in his shoes was pretty damn great if you ask me.

While his brother passes away, Chagum thinks that he's on a journey to Toumi village along with Balsa and Tanda. Poor, innocent guy doesn't realize the truth though. The truth from Torogai that Chagum will die soon, even despite the egg actually being harmless but more of due to the creatures that are willing to hunt him down for carrying the egg in the first place, where even Torogai is inexperienced on the matter to decipher what is exactly coming after him, when, how, etc. Tanda comes up with a plan though, to meet his grandfather at a Yaku village where he could remember the stories of the past, that would open up some potential to learn more about the truth before most people were brainwashed to abandon the culture for the future generations.

Also, the loyalty that one of the wardens at the palace showed to Chagum was class. He cared about wanting to know about Chagum's well being and safety and information about his whereabouts, so much that he even sacrificed his position when the Holy Sage realized that the sanctum had been entered. At least Shuga managed to spend a ton of time analyzing olden documents that held the truth about the egg and the history of Shin Yogo, and after managing to escape outside, manage to find out that Chagum truly is alive due to the help of the clouds that were referred to in one of the olden texts written by the original Holy Sage. Before he died, Sagum believed in Shuga and his wisdom, wanting him to carry on with taking care of the palace in the long run as his health wore on. Poor Sagum, poor everyone.
Mar 7, 2021 6:49 AM
Jan 2018
People say they don't know what Sagum died of when he literally says it in the epiosde. And you can clearly tell he's exhausted.
Apr 4, 2021 6:59 AM
Jun 2013
Was the translation bad in 2007? So many commenters at the time apparently didn't catch that Sagum had asthma...
May 2, 2021 1:56 PM
Jan 2020
didn't expect Sagum will be gone. Sad :'3
Feb 4, 2023 5:19 PM

Sep 2016
Oh, he is actually dead. I was just starting to get attached... :(
Sep 7, 2023 9:11 AM
Oct 2021
wild way to end a life😭
Feb 26, 2:35 PM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
The last scene with that ost... it gave me some feelings t.t

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 1, 2007

54 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 12 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jun 30, 2007

45 by Safrichh »»
Feb 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 18, 2007

55 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:54 PM

» Why does balsa leave for kambal in the end (her hometown)

Kitsune_089 - Dec 13, 2023

9 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 5, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 17, 2007

66 by Safrichh »»
Nov 28, 2023 8:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.