Forum Settings
Forums

Subtitled/Subbed or English Dubbed anime (aka Subs vs. Dubs v2)

New
Pages (176) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2011 10:55 PM

Oct 2007
I prefer subs.

Main reasons are that it changes the anime's feel dramatically, I'm also attempting to learn Japanese so I pick up on a few things here and there.

The only anime I prefer the dub over sub is Cowboy Bebop, the cast (especially Steven Blum) pulled it off perfectly.
elenterJul 5, 2011 12:07 AM
Jul 5, 2011 3:54 AM

Dec 2010
kaleidostar1187 said:
Anime_Name said:
kaleidostar1187 said:
I like both, but it depends on what I am watching. I like watching naruto in sub form, but i like watching full metal alchemist in dub. I like hearing an american's voice, because sometimes it brings something more to character especially if it is done correctly. I mean take howl's moving castle I mean come on Christian Bale did a great job in that!

Yeah he did a good job. He isn't American though.

He is Australian. Then there is Vic Mignogna who did Edward Elric now he is american and has done wonders for the anime eng dubbing.

He's a British, specifically an English man who became well known as Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins.

Hey! What about Crispin Freeman? I have seen a lot of animes wherein he not only made his voiced characters sound more powerful, badass and hammy (Large Ham) but also made one of the biggest Superlative Dubbing in the history of anime.
Jul 9, 2011 11:44 AM
Oct 2010
I really don't like watching the anime that are dubbed in English. It lessens the story's impact to its audience. The characters' voices are kinda off and monotonous.
Jul 9, 2011 2:40 PM

Jun 2011
I really don't have anything against either. I mostly watch english dubbed anime, but if I have to, i'll watch subbed. Like when Funimation stopped dubbing D.Gray Man at episode 51. I just watched the rest of the series subbed. Most of the time, I think the dubbed versions sound really good, and the voices fit the characters well. The only anime I didn't really like dubbed was Higurashi. Oh, and there was one character in Lucky Star, Patricia, who's dubbed voice made me want to rip my ears out.
fluffy-luffyJul 2, 2012 12:05 PM
Jul 9, 2011 2:57 PM
Mar 2011
Over use of actors in dubs there is a Diverse Pool of talent in the us VA pool
but thay use restrictive prctise in the us of contracting VA's to a studio cause that dont have a union while Seiyuu dont have this restrictive practice cause thay have a union

that why i like Anime in Japanese more than English
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 9, 2011 3:14 PM

Sep 2010
Tennoryu said:
but thay use restrictive prctise in the us of contracting VA's to a studio cause that dont have a union while Seiyuu dont have this restrictive practice cause thay have a union

The ones that contract non-Union actors to studios and have them act, direct, scriptwrite, market, and make coffee would be Funimation and 4kids.

Jul 9, 2011 8:28 PM

Jun 2011
Definitely subs for me, because the Japanese language is so nice, and it just seems to flow. The voices are also better, and they show more emotion then that of the English voices.

My problems with the dubs is that they frequently mispronounce the Japanese words
(words like city names) and the voices, more often then not, don't fit the personality of the characters (Example: Listen to Kallen's voice in English).
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Jul 9, 2011 10:11 PM
Jul 2011
I can't speak/read/understand Japanese so subs for series that take place in Japan. Any anime in a fantasy setting or some other non-descript western setting, I'd have to go with dubs (provided that the dubs don't suck).
Jul 9, 2011 11:35 PM

Aug 2007
Anime_Name said:
Tennoryu said:

The ones that contract non-Union actors to studios and have them act, direct, scriptwrite, market, and make coffee would be Funimation and 4kids.

Its retarded as hell that some voice actors refuse to work for non union companies.
Jul 10, 2011 12:20 AM

Sep 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
Anime_Name said:
Tennoryu said:

Its retarded as hell that some voice actors refuse to work for non union companies.

Well that is how unions work, SAG does not allow union actors to take non-union jobs. There are ways around it like going by a different stage name or if it is a independent project. Plus union actors would have to travel to a non-union state in order to work for a non-union company at lower pay. So it does not make sense to risk losing the higher wages and benefits of SAG in order to spend your own money traveling so you can make less money.

Jul 10, 2011 1:13 AM

Apr 2011
Subbed. I used to think dubbed but once I watched the subbed versions I just made me hate dubbed.
Jul 10, 2011 1:37 AM

Nov 2010
not having to read the bottom of the screen makes anime sooo much more enjoyable. the only time ill choose sub over dub is if its an all girl cast(Jap girls sound so cute), if the dub is terrible(which i dont come across too often), or if its not dubbed yet/not going to be dubbed.
Jul 10, 2011 2:16 AM
Jul 2010
Sub all the way, dub makes me puke.
Tremble before my Darkness!
Jul 10, 2011 6:28 AM
Mar 2008
kaleidostar1187 said:
I like hearing an american's voice, because sometimes it brings something more to character especially if it is done correctly. I mean take howl's moving castle I mean come on Christian Bale did a great job in that!

I didn't know Christian Bale did voice acting for anime.
Has anyone heard Kiefer Sutherland in Armitage III? I had mixed feelings about his performance, was expecting something a little better from him.
Jul 10, 2011 7:18 AM
Dec 2007
Pero said:
kaleidostar1187 said:
I like hearing an american's voice, because sometimes it brings something more to character especially if it is done correctly. I mean take howl's moving castle I mean come on Christian Bale did a great job in that!

I didn't know Christian Bale did voice acting for anime.
Well, the dub was produced by Disney and they have the money. I doubt they'd be able to afford his bloated salary now though/

Jul 10, 2011 7:27 AM

Feb 2011
I always prefer subs. it's very rare to find a good dub . I watched death note in dub . It was very good i even liked it better than the subs. But i don't think I'll watch dub again . I'll just stick to watching it with subtitles .
Jul 10, 2011 1:39 PM

Nov 2010
it's not that i HATE dubs, i watched kenshin and dragonball -> all in dubs so those where good (didn't even bother with the subbed version after that tough) i started naruto and bleach in dub but moved on to subs.

naruto wasn't realy that good in dubbed (he seemed even MORE of a brat then he was in subbed) bleach wasn't THAT bad but some jokes where weird (americanised so to speak)

oh and i watched gunslinger girl in both dubbed and subbed. liked the subbed version WAY better. in the dubbed (sorry to say it this harsh) they realy sounded like brats wich the japanese voices where better in feeling the emotion.

so conclusion not all dubs are bad, but beeing belgian and lot's of movies (animated and such) get dubbed to dutch i also want to watch the american version because like allready stated, the default voices where chosen by the directors and add more feel to it
Jul 10, 2011 10:31 PM
Jul 2011
i prefer english sub.. than dub..
-Fuji
Jul 11, 2011 12:51 AM
Mar 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:
Anime_Name said:
Tennoryu said:

no its Stupid that Studios think tahy can use VA's who are not union under poor paying Deals
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 11, 2011 1:57 AM

Aug 2007
Tennoryu said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Anime_Name said:
Tennoryu said:

no its Stupid that Studios think tahy can use VA's who are not union under poor paying Deals

You really don't know how unions work. Unions take money from any person who is affiliated with them from their paychecks.
Jul 11, 2011 2:07 AM

Jul 2011
I think it depends on which one you are exposed first i guess...Whadya guys think?
Jul 11, 2011 2:26 AM

Sep 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tennoryu said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Anime_Name said:
Tennoryu said:

You really don't know how unions work. Unions take money from any person who is affiliated with them from their paychecks.

That's how Union workers get paid but in return actors that are members of SAG are guaranteed base wages that are higher than non-union wages. Pay the a little union fee, make more money. It is a pretty easy concept to grasp.

Jul 11, 2011 3:14 AM

Jun 2011
I'm happy with either as long as I like the voices, half the time I'll watch an episode in each and decide which I like better, I think it's silly to argue a universal rule for which is better, its all about personal preference and each anime is different.

But in choosing between one for a single series, apart from the quality of the voice actors, if the series is unfinished in dubs I'll generally watch the subs because fuck waiting a year and a half for a second/third season dub, but if it's in a month or so from the time I'm watching it (eg, for me it was Clannad after story and currently Spice and Wolf II) I'll happily wait a few months to watch it dubbed because I prefer those voice actors.

Also, if anything has Rie Kugimiya in it I pretty much have to watch the sub

The only people I can't stand are the sub fans who refuse to watch anything dubbed because of pretentious crap like "a purer experience", or the dubbed fans who won't watch subs due to laziness. All you're doing is limiting your options, and you could miss out on something really good because you "don't watch subs/dubs"
Jul 11, 2011 4:20 AM
Mar 2011
Anime_Name said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tennoryu said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Anime_Name said:
Tennoryu said:

That's how Union workers get paid but in return actors that are members of SAG are guaranteed base wages that are higher than non-union wages. Pay the a little union fee, make more money. It is a pretty easy concept to grasp.

EOT

Jul 11, 2011 9:31 AM

Feb 2011
i like planet caravan but i think pantera did a better job.
FOR THE RECORD: I DON'T SUPPORT THE TROOPS!
Jul 11, 2011 9:35 AM

Jul 2008
HawkeyeSensei said:
I think it depends on which one you are exposed first i guess...Whadya guys think?

I'd have to agree, I'm sure some people watched anime on tv before going all Medieval on the internet, and didnt mind the dub; didnt even complain. I'll have to add that some anime is actually better in dub; s.CRY.ed and Cowboy Bebop for example. At Anime Expo this year I got a chance to finally see the Haruhi movie in dub and it was pretty great!
Jul 11, 2011 9:36 AM
Dec 2010
It just looks a little odd having to watch a Japanese speak in English not just in English but some British or American of way. There are some Eng dubs that are also cool but most times watching in Eng subs is the best.

I actually watched Cowboy Bebop and Trigun in Eng dubs, cos the whole setting fitted English.
[/url]
Jul 11, 2011 10:01 AM
Jun 2010
i prefer both really. I mean some animes are better off subs, while others are just better of dubs.

Seomtimes if i watched ALOT of sub episodes, and i suddenly change to dubs, 1) it feels REALLY weird because im expecting japanese and i am now listening to english people, and 2) im looking at the bottom straight away for the subtitles...

That makes me realise that with dubs i see alot more action while with subs im just reading most of the time :)

But i do think that the dubs take away some part of the originality of the anime. I feel some animes are just ment to be shown in subs, and it would just not be the same in dubs. While in other animes such as dragonballz, the sub just sticks out like a sore thumb and the dub is more suited and brings more to the anime rather than take away.

Its all controversial though...

Sometimes i prefer subs, sometimes i prefer dubs.
Jul 11, 2011 10:07 AM

Mar 2008
I don't like dubs alot of the times, so I prefer the japanese with subtitles. But! when my friend asked me to check out hellsing, he told me to get the English dubs, because they actually had good British VA (as its set in Britian)

And yes I really enjoyed the English VA for the anime. Victoria was a little wierd but everything else went well.

To summerise, I like english subtitles except on rare occasions (Like Hellsing was)
Coming soon!
Jul 11, 2011 10:28 AM

Jul 2011
I just started to watch subs since I realized how much better anime is out there compared to the fewer numbers in dubs.Also I hated the thought of having to fully concentrate and read every moment while watching a show :/

Though I don't know why people dislike dubs lmao. Nowadays, voice-acting has become much better compared to the crap in the 90's,etc. Not like you could tell whether the japanese have good voice acting unless you're familiar with the language lol.
Jul 11, 2011 10:51 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Subs forever 8) I'm so used to watching anime in japanese that when I think abt dubs , I laugh xD I prefer watching the story with the original script instead of dubs that may have from minor to major changes . Plus I prefer almost anything to its original language . Even when I started watching anime online for the first time , the moment I found the subs (cause I had found that certain anime dubbed) I switched right away . I just find anything dubbed funny cause in my mind , certain things are linked with a certain language . anime with japanese , american/english movies with english and any kind of movie with different language with its own language .
Jul 11, 2011 1:46 PM

Sep 2010
-Kazu said:
HawkeyeSensei said:

I'd have to agree, I'm sure some people watched anime on tv before going all Medieval on the internet, and didnt mind the dub; didnt even complain. I'll have to add that some anime is actually better in dub; s.CRY.ed and Cowboy Bebop for example. At Anime Expo this year I got a chance to finally see the Haruhi movie in dub and it was pretty great!

If there's no place like the internet to complain on then you simply would not be aware others' complaints but that does not mean they didn't have any at the time..

Jul 11, 2011 2:01 PM

Jun 2007
nadia159159 said:

I see the quality of the average post has increased ever so slightly since the original thread. I'm shocked!

PS: Laura Bailey >>> Wapanese
Jul 11, 2011 7:59 PM
Dec 2007
AironicallyHuman said:
nadia159159 said:

I see the quality of the average post has increased ever so slightly since the original thread. I'm shocked!

PS: Laura Bailey >>> Wapanese
Can you please not incite another flame war then? You can present your opinion without mocking those who don't share it, right?

Jul 12, 2011 1:16 AM

Oct 2009
nadia159159 said:

NICE DISCUSSION!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2011 1:30 AM

Jun 2011
Honestly, I don't like reading something I am watching. Sometimes I can stand it but most of the time I don't even bother with subbed anime because I am sometimes multi-tasking while I watch it in the first place. xP
Jul 12, 2011 1:45 AM

Sep 2010
femalegoblin said:
Honestly, I don't like reading something I am watching. Sometimes I can stand it but most of the time I don't even bother with subbed anime because I am sometimes multi-tasking while I watch it in the first place. xP

Check back in when you start watching anime and not just having it on as background noise while doing other stuff.

Jul 12, 2011 2:52 AM

Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:
femalegoblin said:

Check back in when you start watching anime and not just having it on as background noise while doing other stuff.
LOL

Actually reading subs while watching is something that is subconscious for me, I dont even realise im watching and reading, It just happens =P
Jul 12, 2011 3:15 AM

Sep 2010
HawkeyeSensei said:
Anime_Name said:
femalegoblin said:

LOL

Actually reading subs while watching is something that is subconscious for me, I dont even realise im watching and reading, It just happens =P

I turn on captions for most everything that I watch that includes video games, sitcoms, and the news. Except sports; I can't stand most commentators and don't need their jabbering in text too.

Jul 12, 2011 3:26 AM

Mar 2011
I've started to watch anime such as Shakugan no Shana in its original language, and I must say: I like both Rie and Satoshi. Even better is the fact that they're also in Zero.
Despite the aforementioned voice actors, I still prefer English dubbed anime for obvious non-screeching reasons.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Jul 12, 2011 7:05 AM

Jul 2011
Subs for life.
American dub can ruin an anime and most of the time censor's a lot of the original dialogue.
アニメ-プラザ バンザイ!!!
Jul 12, 2011 7:15 AM

Apr 2011
i generally dislike dubs, personally it feels weird not experiencing exactly what the director intended. it does get annoying reading the subs though sometimes, especially since i have absolutely zero grasp of the japanese language
Jul 12, 2011 7:24 AM

Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:
HawkeyeSensei said:
Anime_Name said:
femalegoblin said:

LOL

I turn on captions for most everything that I watch that includes video games, sitcoms, and the news. Except sports; I can't stand most commentators and don't need their jabbering in text too.
Damn right, i activate subtitles whenever i have the options to do so, lol dunno why, instincts?
Jul 12, 2011 8:40 AM

Jun 2008
bbmello said:
i generally dislike dubs, personally it feels weird not experiencing exactly what the director intended.

Unless you learn Japanese, you'll never get "exactly" what the director intended.
Jul 12, 2011 8:49 AM

Apr 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
bbmello said:
i generally dislike dubs, personally it feels weird not experiencing exactly what the director intended.

Unless you learn Japanese, you'll never get "exactly" what the director intended.

well i should have been more clear, of course that's true but i meant in terms of expression and mannerisms of the characters. In that sense, dubs can't compare
Jul 12, 2011 9:25 AM
Mar 2011
i fond it had to comment hear cause im native Japanese but used dub of my fave anime to Help me learn English

so i can do real comprraesons between English and Japanese some times the dub fits better but that is Rare bbut if thay change the titles stuff in the plot or even too much pf the Sound track that Kills the Dub i my eyes

Key one Dragonball Z Censored Yes i admit very little story Changed What was done the The Music is Tantamount to Murder when you take in to acount the fact Kageyama did record eng Versions of all his DBZ songs for other Dubs i Know both the HK and the Philippines Dub use ENG Verions of all Lyrical based songs i love the ENG version of We Got power

Jul 12, 2011 9:31 AM

Aug 2008
I don't understand how someone can not be able to read and watch something at the same time. Unless it's just down to laziness (more understandable) they must have an incredibly small STM capacity lol.

Personally I dislike dubs for two main reasons.

First, so much is lost in Japanese to English translations that to an extent the watcher looses a lot of the original intention of the writer. I think that dubs in languages that share certain aspects of culture with Japan such as Chinese, Korean, etc are generally better but there are so many things that are near impossible to translate into English. A common one is the honorific system for example, whilst "niichan, niisama, aniki, niisan, ani-ue" all are usually translated into "brother" they are worlds apart in meaning. Although in subs they are also usually translated incorrectly, you still tend to get a better understanding of the relationship of the characters.

Secondly, this may just be me being pedantic but I can not relate to Japanese characters with American accents. I understand this may not be a problem for most people that watch dubs since the main demographic is American buyers and most of the world is Americanised anyway. But watching Japanese characters eating ramen, fighting with katanas, etc speaking with those accents is really strange to me. If you think of it from another angle if Naruto spoke with a Scottish accent wouldn't most people find it strange?

With that said, subs aren't perfect either. I don't think subbers should drop honorifics - ever and names for the most part should never be translated (e.g. calling Kuro in Ao no Exorcist "Blackie").

tl;dr Neither subs nor dubs are perfect but generally subs are the best way to go if you really want to understand the show.
Jul 12, 2011 10:28 AM

Jun 2007
FYI, I can read, watch and masturbate, all at once. Such skills are essential to fully enjoy hentai, or other non-English porn.

Losing the original intent is a very good thing, depending on the anime. A stiff script, lacking sexual overtones and swearing because of cultural differences, ruins some titles.

Deserk Punk and Those Who Hunt Elves (S1) would have been shit without the entire script being rewritten. Humour needs to be funny; not uptight. 'American humour' fitted the content far better.
Jul 12, 2011 10:37 AM
Mar 2011
AironicallyHuman said:
FYI, I can read, watch and masturbate, all at once. Such skills are essential to fully enjoy hentai, or other non-English porn.

Losing the original intent is a very good thing, depending on the anime. A stiff script, lacking sexual overtones and swearing because of cultural differences, ruins some titles.

Deserk Punk and Those Who Hunt Elves (S1) would have been shit without the entire script being rewritten. Humour needs to be funny; not uptight. 'American humour' fitted the content far better.

Some one who supports Butchering art

Jul 12, 2011 10:52 AM

Jan 2009
Well, I'm first going to comment on people who say, "I like subs better because the meaning is lost in translation". If you believe that, you should go to Japan and learn Japanese, then watch anime RAW. The same things are lost in translation (if anything is even lost in the first place) with subbed and dubbed. The difference is one is read and the other is said. Both are being translated into English.

Anyway, I prefer subs over dubs. I don't hate dubs, but I mostly watch anime that is isn't available in English, so I watch those subbed and just naturally seek out the subbed version even if it is in English. I've watched some dubs: DBZ, Murder Princess, Speed Grapher, etc. and they were actually pretty good, but I still usually go for subs (subs are also easier to find in HD online too).

Most of the reasons people say they watch exclusively subs for aren't really valid. In my experience, the subs usually do fit the characters better, there is more emotion, etc., but it's not as bad as people make it out to be and that shouldn't be the main reason people only watch subs. Then there's the whole, "dubs edit the storyline and take out all the blood, etc.". This really isn't true because most anime is released directly to DVD, uncut, and even the shows that air on TV have uncut DVD's. The reason they are edited on TV is because of TV regulations, not because the company wants to edit things out.

NOTE: In the last paragraph, I'm making general observations. There are exceptions, I'm just saying most anime fit into that. I know 4Kids! ruins things, but they don't license a lot of anime and they are bankrupt.
Pages (176) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Check-in for the Spring 2024 season (for those watching a bunch of seasonals)

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

33 by gunny92 »»
2 minutes ago

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

69 by traed »»
13 minutes ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 12 hours ago

41 by Angel_crush1 »»
21 minutes ago

» How much time do you spend discussing anime?

RobertBobert - May 6

20 by perseii »»
29 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

138 by FFandMMfan »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.