Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2011 3:14 PM
Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The Lusitanians are somewhere between religious scapegoats and self-righteous conquerors. If we'd been shown the lives of Estelle's family, they would probably be passionate knights who died for their cause. Their cause may have been a concoction born out of the greed of aristocrats and priests, but they believed in it as much as they would a noble religion.

I can't say for sure that Arslan's force has any more justice than that. Darün, for example, is also a passionate knight who fights for an arbitrary bloodline-loyalty. This motivation is equally shallow, so what the protagonists rely on is their benevolence.

But a monarchy can only be so kind. The very nature of Parsian government creates an unassailable class division, and permanent oligarchy. Arslan being nice is a saving grace that lasts for perhaps a generation, never indefinitely.
Jun 7, 2011 4:43 AM

Sep 2008
oh boy, I take back what i said about the shows approach to plot progression in ep 3 thread; I think its a brilliant way to tell a story. I thought eps 1-3 were good, but this just catapulted the OVA to a whole new level.

Luthimal said:

Arslan being nice is a saving grace that lasts for perhaps a generation, never indefinitely.

Just like Reinhard in logh. But the problem is that there's no fool-proof system. And I seriously consider democracy to be a sham; and it will always be so so long as power is concentrated in the hands of a few select elite individuals. They will always represent their own interest or the interest of those who got them to power.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 22, 2012 11:52 PM
Mar 2012
koreye said:
o But the problem is that there's no fool-proof system. And I seriously consider democracy to be a sham; and it will always be so so long as power is concentrated in the hands of a few select elite individuals. They will always represent their own interest or the interest of those who got them to power.

Well said, I coined a new term for it, Demockery. Yes you choose who is the new power but they do what they want without consent or approval so it's a sham as you say this democracy nonsense. Arislan is a good lad, his intentions are all correct, taking back his country from these religious nuts, all the more apparent with the mass suicide at Sammanuel, which was the saddest scene throughout the series. That stupid girl Estelle, all her doing. Up till now the Lusitanians are shown to be despicable and their king a fool (Episode 6 even more!) but at last we see the Palsians themselves have some imperfections, aside from their effeminate male populace. Before they take the fortress they have a big stag hunt, for what purpose?! Well I don't see how any god could be of any good if they approve mass killing of creatures or people. Arislan seems to not approve either as he hesitates killing his stag, this silly girl tries to fight him and alerts her scouting party of his presence. (They were only here to scout, not to battle) Arislan's great horse sadly is shot down (Though an identical one is seen later episodes, could it have lived?!) but the wrath of Palse rescues him, they attack the castle earlier than intended. The lord of the castle is a good man, he refuses to close the gate before all his men are back, this was the one fight where I wasn't cheering Palse on, it was a bloodbath which Estelle provoked unwittingly, poor thing. I never realised despite watching this for years but it was Gieve who shot the axeman who attempted to stop Pharangase's wave getting into the fortress. Strange man, he said some grand speech about the wind blowing him away from the prince and that someday he will come back to blow him (Okay he didn't say that haha), he said he felt oppressed with Palse's campaign to retake their country yet he helps them from a distance. Previous episode had a great archer who prided himself as the 2nd best archer of Palse, not knowing of anyone better. I think Gieve is made out to be but we'll see! Well the aftermath of the battle, a bloody mess and the civillians took their lives. Estelle acts unrepentant in that they are spreading the word of God, what nonsense but religion has been a major thorn in peace longer than any civilisation can remember... Or at least when it is mixed with politics. Anyway she like Gieve also comments Arislan does not behave like a prince, speaking to prisoners and people below him... Add the fate he gave her food she berates him and declares she hates him (He fancies her of course)... Gratitude. Now another important thing to mention, the blind Princess, a softer side of Hermes is revealed, he chooses to avoid the poor princess though... Now near the end that foul sorcerer who was much older in the first episode when he created the mist at the first battle tells Hermes of a sword that will seal his claim to rule Palse, yes my sister said it's rather the same as King Arthur.... Well anyway what happened with that? It appears Arislan is about to retake Ecubatana, Gieve decides to go back to Arislan, Hermes races for the demon mountain to claim the sword.... It ends as it did with episode 2, Azrael the eagle landing on Arislan. Now to have that EVERY episode is cheesy.... The ending song is nice, sadly it would be used again.... The ending credits are nice at least with most of the characters shown as stills. Final one is Arislan sitting down like a princess, who drew them?! Now that was the last episode ever, at least back then and like Hermes I would have to wait 16 long years before seeing what I guessed would be finished in one final chapter.... Little did I know how messy the creation of this Anime is, I should have guessed with the change in animation style and quality as well as the inconsistent pronunciations with names and places....
Jun 18, 2012 10:15 AM

Apr 2009
Ah yes religion, we killed more of our fellow men for the sake of our gods. :( I just remembered the narrated words from a video trailer of EVE Online, a MMORPG video game. It still gives me goosebumps whenever I remember it, with it's outer space vistas and spaceships... even now. Indulge me for a bit.

From EVE Online: Revelations II Trailer:
Religions, as so many other things began when man looked at the skies and said "I belong there, I am one with the gods." So man rose from the ground to build a new home for himself in the cold, dark depths of space. And he brought hope to those dark places, expecting that this ascension, this enlightenment would unify and strengthen him. But the darkness fought back and man turned on man. Metal behemoths roamed the skies gorging themselves on lesser creatures. And somewhere along the line, we found our true nature. For man is the destroyer of things, and the vicious master of his savage domain. We have our own place in the universe and it is dark, cruel role we play. We are the revolutionaries, we are the usurpers to the heavenly thrones, we are the enemies of the gods.

I thought Gieve has left them then why is he hanging around Arslan's army like some camp follower, he even shot the Lusitanian guard when he was about to cut rope holding back the castle gate from closing. I thought he was about to break the fourth wall during his monologue... then he asked where is his audience? XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 11, 2014 3:30 PM

May 2012
Interesting development, I quite like how the whole story is developing but well with two episodes remaining I wonder how the story will be like in the end!
Feb 10, 2015 7:01 PM

Jan 2013
Like the discussion on religion, but keep in mind not all people of faith are like that. Oooo that budding romance between the prince and that prisoner. Arslan seems like he's on track to grow up into a handsome/kind/charismatic badass king. His fighting skills aren't shabby either

Feb 3, 2016 5:37 PM
Dec 2014
Democracy is the worst system, except for all the others. Maybe one day somebody comes up with something better- probably involve leaving meatspace behind.

Powerful scene with the women leaping off the tower, suicide is a sin in Abrahamic religions. Considering that they had no way of knowing how they would be treated it seems to me quite logical but I have no religion. Usually the women would end up as slaves and the babies at the tip of a spear.
FeniksrisesFeb 3, 2016 5:42 PM
Apr 2, 2016 10:57 PM

Jul 2011
I'd like to slap the girl in every adaptation during that scene. So close-minded. More irritating in this one than the TV series. @_@
Everyone listening outside the door was funny though!

Was the fight with Gieve a farce? For such a wanderer, he is sticking awfully close.
Aug 28, 2016 7:37 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Begins the reconquest!
Etoile and Arslan, the encounter!

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 6 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 29, 2011

19 by PxHC »»
Jun 30, 2023 6:43 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 5 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 28, 2011

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jan 29, 2021 12:47 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 3 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 23, 2011

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jan 15, 2021 3:00 AM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 2 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 16, 2011

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 25, 2020 3:54 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 1 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 14, 2011

13 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 18, 2020 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.