Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 31, 2011 8:50 PM

Aug 2009
I'm Freakin' speechless... I was looking forward to see what toei would do with this part of the arc, and they surprised me a lot, the animation was a whole lot better of what I was waiting for, good job toei.
White Beard looked as badass as he trully is even without getting half of his head blown off. Amazing episode, amazing animation and if the upcoming episodes stay with this quality, it'll be awesome.

R.I.P. Shirohige
Jan 31, 2011 9:57 PM

Oct 2007
Uploader53 said:
Blackbeard is such a coward. I wonder how the heck he was born with the 'D' initial and be so pathetic. The only reason he is still alive is because of luck and that Whitebeard wasn't in full power. If he was, Blackbeard wouldn't have stood a chance.

This is not a new concept in selling a heel character.

Hint: Pro wrestling. Cowardly heels are among the most famous and most reviled. Ric Flair made a career out of it.

For me, I wouldn't change a bit of Blackbeard's "character" or lack thereof, he's the perfect (soon-to-be) overpowered foil for Luffy. The D who would kill a nakama versus the D who would die for one.
RalonzoJan 31, 2011 10:04 PM
Feb 1, 2011 3:20 AM

Sep 2008
i know white beard still looked badass an epic in the end, and i knew theywere going to censor the head part, but still i do agree that inthe anime he looked 10 times weaker than in the manga, come on as if teach could actually land a hit on shirohige, come on... im still amazed how he beat ace in the first place,ntil nxt chapter he is not that amazing (you´ll understand soon)
and about shouting that one piece is real being a great plot twist later, if you think back every little detai of the past comes back eventuallly, that´s Echiro Oda ,a true genius
l
R.I.P. EDWARD"WHITEBEARD" NEWGATE the greatest pirate ever
Zero_r2Feb 1, 2011 3:23 AM
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Feb 1, 2011 5:00 AM

May 2008
Awful. Absolutely Awful! No not One Piece nor the episode. One Piece is one of my favorite animes (hence the 9 rating), but the sheer time wasting per episode is horrid since Marineford Arc. I know they are extremely close to the anime but rather than putting in filler episode scenes in (though they try to but fail with the buggy crap), most of it is with random shouting of

POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS POPS

and before that Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun Ace-Kun

Not to mention they have to explain the little things that's so obvious

Random Guy - Pops isnt moving. I cant believe it!
Macro - Yea thats because hes injured.

Well ... no ****

Really hope this all changes when 'THAT' happens, and they either bring out an extremely long and decent filler or they have a break before the next (AWESOME) arc happens. Im still reading the manga but love to see it animated (thus why i read both).

I needed to get that out :D well whether you disagree or not, this isnt the One Piece of old where it all flowed without obvious delaying pacing tactics. Its almost as bad as Naruto. Epic last words though. Felt the epicness just the same when I read the manga.
Feb 1, 2011 5:53 PM

Jul 2006
Ralonzo said:
Uploader53 said:
Blackbeard is such a coward. I wonder how the heck he was born with the 'D' initial and be so pathetic. The only reason he is still alive is because of luck and that Whitebeard wasn't in full power. If he was, Blackbeard wouldn't have stood a chance.

This is not a new concept in selling a heel character.

Hint: Pro wrestling. Cowardly heels are among the most famous and most reviled. Ric Flair made a career out of it.

For me, I wouldn't change a bit of Blackbeard's "character" or lack thereof, he's the perfect (soon-to-be) overpowered foil for Luffy. The D who would kill a nakama versus the D who would die for one.
I think I love you with the pro wrestling reference.

Feb 2, 2011 1:19 AM

Feb 2010
That was. just amazing.
Whitebeard was truly a great pirate~
Feb 3, 2011 1:08 PM

Oct 2009
NegativeDeath said:
The declaration of "One Piece exists!" made an awesome impact. I loved the last words of both Ace and WB's; Ace's last words and death left that tearful feeling, and the battle scars of WB's (and the clear back) left a "damn, what a legend" impression.

Great episode, 5/5.

~R.I.P. Edward "Whitebeard" Newgate

I agree. One of the best moments in One Piece.

Rest in peace Whitebeard.
Feb 3, 2011 2:55 PM

Dec 2008
.....i cried

but they censored a lot of it out compared to the manga. most animes do that though.

:] fishman island here we come!~
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these?!"- Cave Johnson
Feb 3, 2011 2:59 PM

Jul 2010
zamaya said:
.....i cried

but they censored a lot of it out compared to the manga. most animes do that though.

:] fishman island here we come!~

You mean flashback city / war aftermath here we come.
Feb 3, 2011 5:59 PM

Nov 2006
suigetsu00 said:
when the blackbeard pirates started attacking whitebeard.....did anyone else think of sin city?

I did ^^
Feb 3, 2011 9:30 PM

Apr 2009
After withstanding 267 sword wounds, 152 bullet shots and 46 cannonballs, it's gonna sound weird but I'm kinda proud (and I feel truly sad at the same time) of him to die standing! T_T

And yeah this of course...

Whitebeard said:
ONE PIECE DOES EXIST!

which also reaffirms Gol D. Roger's last words!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Feb 3, 2011 11:40 PM

Jan 2009
"Whitebeard is dead.

Even in death, his body did not fall.

His figure, taking down enemies while covered in wounds...

was truly monstrous.

The total number of sword wounds he received in this battle...

was 267.

He was shot by 152 bullets.

And was hit by 46 cannonballs.

And despite all this...

his proud back...

over the course of his entire life as a pirate...

never received a single scar from running away!"

Amen to that.
IG: @ChrisCrossCrash
"There isn't a single guy who doesn't want to spoil his girl."
--Amagami SS
Feb 3, 2011 11:41 PM

Feb 2008
Absolutely the best episode for me in One Piece so far. Maybe because it's the second* actual death, but Shirohige was really badass overall. The man will be missed.
Feb 4, 2011 2:42 AM
Apr 2009
last time I cried this much was when my grandad died.

one piece is most definitely the best anime ever made.
Feb 4, 2011 2:59 AM
Jan 2009
Nymphetamine2791 said:
"Whitebeard is dead.

Even in death, his body did not fall.

His figure, taking down enemies while covered in wounds...

was truly monstrous.

The total number of sword wounds he received in this battle...

was 267.

He was shot by 152 bullets.

And was hit by 46 cannonballs.

And despite all this...

his proud back...

over the course of his entire life as a pirate...

never received a single scar from running away!"

Amen to that.
Feb 4, 2011 6:44 AM

Dec 2009
5/5. Epic episode.
Feb 5, 2011 10:34 PM

Oct 2008
I wonder too what the D means.

RIP - Papa Whitebeard. :(
VARIAchanFeb 5, 2011 10:38 PM
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 7, 2011 12:11 AM

Feb 2009
Was very surprised that Whitebeard had actually nearly killed Teach, i guess his DevilFruit was not as powerful as one thought, well not when he's against Whitebeard. A bit nice to know he was a friend of Roger and a nice message he left before his death. Damn two integral characters have died, bit of a shocker!
Feb 14, 2011 7:38 PM

Sep 2008
Epic in every sense of the word.

RIP Whitebeard and Ace
Feb 15, 2011 12:17 AM

Aug 2008
T.T OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CRAP !!
I'm crying here .. THIS IS SO DAMN SAD !!! seeing Ace smiling face made me CRY LIKE HELL !! .. ohhhhhhh Luffy =_= damn you .. WHY YOU WENT AFTER THAT PIECE OF PAPER !!! .. T0T WHY ?!

Mar 15, 2011 1:36 AM

Oct 2009
Whitebeard!!!! Why are you so fucking awesome?! Just EPIC EPIC EPIC, that speech was great!

R.I.P Shirohige!
Mar 17, 2011 2:35 PM

Jun 2010
if i were to join a pirate crew, i would have wanted to join either the strawhats (of course) or the whitebeard pirates. i'd want newgate as a father. T^T

i think this was one of the few times i wished so strongly for an anime character to suffer so much that he'd rather choose death. curse you teach!
Mar 26, 2011 3:54 AM

Jul 2009
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

I'm speechless. RIP Whitebeard

AND ONE PIECE IS THE FUCKING BEST ANIME IN THE WHOLE FUCKING UNIVERSE
Apr 25, 2011 2:02 PM

Jul 2010
Sniff. Sniff. Awesome last words.
May 16, 2011 10:46 AM

Feb 2009
This episode has so much info it's groundbreaking. Overall, we are thrown at our faces that there's such a huge secret behind One Piece (that the World Government tries to hide at all costs) that if it's revealed, it will literally throw the whole world into chaos.

Then there's the whole thing behind the D. meaning, which is most likely a lineage of people directly connected to the Void Century and to the origin of the whole mystery behind One Piece.

The strongest Pirate of this Era dies as true warrior, and the most menacing pirate crew in the entire world makes its move. The pieces are moving, and I can't wait for them to keep going.
Jun 15, 2011 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
D: hopefully they will decide to stop teasing us and tell us the meaning of D sometime soon.
Jun 17, 2011 12:53 PM

Nov 2007
Edward Newgate is a real man. A legend till the end. RIP.

Once again, the "One Piece does exist" declaration was just amazing. Honestly, it was the one uplifting moment in this whole arc. Fuck yeah, new era V2.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jun 27, 2011 3:53 PM

Jul 2010
I totally LOVED Whitebeard after this! I'm so happy he said that One Piece is real and that he won't accept blackbeard as the new Pirate King (I would rather have the serie cut off than see THAT happening)... And such an emotional ending... :(
Jun 29, 2011 4:05 PM

Jun 2009
One of the best One Piece episodes and it didn't really hit me until the end of the episode, Whitebeard was truly one of a kind and I love the narration at the end of the episode. Great stuff, I can't say this is one of my favorite arcs in the series but this is definitely one of the best moments.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 14, 2011 2:39 AM

Aug 2010
lol died standing up
Aug 20, 2011 10:09 PM

May 2010
Aww if it wasn't enough with Ace dying.. now its Whitebeard :-( The fight was amazing as usually.. there was some points where Blackbeard was literally "scared" for his life.. if only Whitebeard was a little younger he could of killed Blackbeard easily.. If i think about it.. Blackbeard isn't all tough about him.. his crew though looks menacing.. :-P
The last dialogue at the end was epic.. Whitebeard dead in style! haha
:-)))
Sep 19, 2011 12:19 AM

Aug 2010
I saw a Jack Sparrow look-a-like in this ep. Is it just me or has this arc had more chars which actually look like conventional pirates as well as music which sounds traditional with the whole pirate theme? I like it.
Sep 27, 2011 6:17 AM

Mar 2008
R.I.P. Whitebeard !
Jan 2, 2012 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
WHITEBEARD~ ;( ;( ;(
You're one heck of a monster... and a father!
The strongest in the world, Edward "Whitebeard" Newgate!
Taken a dozen of stabs, bullets and cannonballs... And a magma hit by an admiral...
Still fighting...
Saved his comrades...
No scars on his back... Never fleed.
Died standing.
And "didn't" die. Just like Roger, by saying that One Piece exists, he started a new era. Blackbeard's Era? HECK NO! Teach is a rookie, a traitor, a coward, a squit....
Whitebeard's spirit will live forever!
Feb 5, 2012 7:25 PM

Jan 2012
"and despite all this, his proud back, over the course of his entire life as a pirate, never received a single scar from running away."

with the camera panning to his tattooed back while he died standing, my reaction: WELL GOD FUCKING DAMN WHITEBEARD > EVERYTHING

this show omg. the last few episodes have been nothing short of highlights in the entire series.

blackbeard is revolting.
Feb 5, 2012 7:39 PM

Jun 2011
RIP best captain since gol d roger
Feb 20, 2012 12:07 PM

Jul 2010
damn, even in death this guy is OP, lol

Feb 23, 2012 6:44 PM

Jun 2010
I would cry more but I've run out of tears after the previous two episodes.
Mar 26, 2012 10:54 AM

Nov 2010
favorite episode so far. he took all that damage and yet none of it went to is back... Whitebeard is a badass.
Mar 27, 2012 3:00 AM

Aug 2011
MorningGlory said:
gear second
Mar 27, 2012 1:47 PM

Jan 2012
lmao
Jun 5, 2012 6:09 PM

Jan 2010
Now that's more like it. In the beginning I wasn't very fond of Shiro's VA but I can say he did a spectacular job in the last few episodes and changed my opinion of him.
The "One Piece is real" gave me shivers. Great episode.
Oct 27, 2012 1:05 PM

Jun 2011
So, who is this troll that hated it?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 1, 2012 7:03 AM

Mar 2010
Whitebeard died like a real hero/boss.. If only he went all out from the start....

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 7, 2013 12:23 PM

Oct 2010
Whitebeard = best thing in the whole war arc. Seriously that guy is epicly/fantastically/absurdly/awesomely overpowered. And quite an amazing personality.

Great great episode and what a ridiculously badass death.
May 16, 2013 1:34 AM

Sep 2011
The Feels this episode...
Jun 23, 2013 4:17 AM

Sep 2009
this episode was good. No matter how much times I rewatch this I agree with Whitebeards death it was just heroic in pirate spirit and magnific.
only thing most ridiculous in the whole story of OP till the now was death of Ace. I still can't believe Oda did such stupid thing at the end of arc, with almost no sense of story flow and developement of characters. almost pathetic.

but Whitebeard episode after that managed to make me more positive. though I still think OP is screwed after this arc.. x.x
*ANIME I.NTERE.ST*----> +IN anime pictures and get FREE anime & manga merchandize from JAPAN!
Jul 11, 2013 12:32 PM

Oct 2012
All he wanted was a family ;;-;;
No scars on his back.
Oh gosh, what Oda does to me.
Right in da feels, man.
☠ o n e p i e c e i s r e a l ☠
Jul 17, 2013 11:08 PM

Jul 2013
Why this is the most epic episode of all times until now?

More epic than this?
Guess I will have to wait until episode 970! (485x2)
FenixPTJul 17, 2013 11:35 PM
Only the strong reborn from ashes.
Jul 17, 2013 11:11 PM

Jul 2013
Who the hell voted "hated this episode" or "it was oK" it must be 1 of 2:

1 - You've read the manga, and it was 10x better

or

2- You simply can't enjoy one piece, give up now!
Only the strong reborn from ashes.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 969 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Usopp8000 - Apr 10, 2021

73 by Yubisoft »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 963 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Feb 20, 2021

75 by Yubisoft »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 417 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TrowaBarton141 - Sep 12, 2009

115 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 416 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Sep 5, 2009

87 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 415 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Dinamet7 - Aug 29, 2009

104 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.