Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (35) « First ... « 28 29 [30] 31 32 » ... Last »
Jun 10, 2015 7:22 PM
Aug 2014
Crunchyroll has always been my go-to site. Yeah, I was disappointed when they had to remove a bunch of stuff when it became legal, but as more people support the site, the more they are able to cater to their free users.
Jun 11, 2015 7:19 AM

May 2012
Zalis said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
I miss the 2007-2009 period of anime. Best period ever for fansubs. Especially Eclipse. Best group that ever existed.
I can actually agree with you on Eclipse, for the most part.

I've also appreciated the work of Anime-Kraze, Ureshii, Lunar, Static, Central, Arienai, and Live-eviL, to name a few. I can also think of some individual subbers from groups with more mixed reputations, in particular "Tom and Jerry" who was the translator for the excellent Shinsen version of Oh! Edo Rocket.
Jun 11, 2015 7:47 AM

Jun 2015
Too many pages to read so this might have been said, but I got Crunchyroll kind of late into my anime watching experience and when I made the switch I thought that I would be getting better quality and less ads than the free website I had been watching but what happened was there were less shows on there than other sites and even then the quality was not so much better either.
Jun 11, 2015 8:45 AM

Apr 2015
because it's not free
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Jun 11, 2015 9:38 AM

Apr 2008
I don't hate CR, I actually like the guys there, even though I don't use them.
I would use them if it wasn't for that damn regional blocking shit. But that's not CR's fault, it's those damn dumb licensors who don't understand that if they payed a bit more they could get the rights to show it worldwide, which would make iracy go down.
On of the biggest reasons why people pirate is because of regional blocking.

CR > Funishit
CR streams for many countries, while FUNI only shows to NA.

Jun 11, 2015 10:58 AM

May 2012
Psychoninja said:
Too many pages to read so this might have been said, but I got Crunchyroll kind of late into my anime watching experience and when I made the switch I thought that I would be getting better quality and less ads than the free website I had been watching but what happened was there were less shows on there than other sites and even then the quality was not so much better either.

What "other sites" are you comparing CR to? Ones that show pirated material and profit off the work of the studios and fansubbers? They are leeches.

If you have a subscription to CR, you see no ads at all, and you get to watch the shows on the same day they are released in Japan.
Jun 11, 2015 11:33 AM

May 2012
BeyondDestiny said:
I sometimes don't even see openings and endings being properly subbed and given some effects - See UTW to understand what a great sub-group does).

That's because fansubbers don't have to deal with little things like copyrights. The reason you don't see subs for OP and ED songs is that the music rightsholders are notoriously hard to deal with. It wasn't until after six episodes of Sakamichi no Apollon before the translator, Sam Pinarsky, got approval from the holder of the rights to the OP for his scripts.

You simply cannot compare pirate groups and legal subbers. The latter have to deal with real commercial constraints that pirates just ignore.
SeijiSenseiJun 11, 2015 11:38 AM
Jul 11, 2015 7:55 AM

Dec 2006
I know this is old (the topic and the link I'm showing) but it's relevant to a lot of concerns.

I learned something valuable from this.
http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/

Go take a read.
Jul 11, 2015 2:39 PM

Aug 2007
VyraLove said:
I know this is old (the topic and the link I'm showing) but it's relevant to a lot of concerns.

I learned something valuable from this.
http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/

Go take a read.

That's from 2013 and pisses me off. That guy is such a lying douchebag. Crunchyroll was a piracy site first and foremost. They had no intention at all to be a legal site until they were hit with C&D letters.
Jul 11, 2015 2:55 PM

Sep 2013
It contributes to the anime industry and we can't have that now can we?
Jul 11, 2015 3:30 PM

Feb 2015
I don't like Crunchyroll because there are to many ads.
Jul 11, 2015 3:33 PM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
KuriaHito said:

What do you expect from a free service? If you don't like the ads just buy premium.

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Jul 11, 2015 4:50 PM
Goddess

Sep 2013
I don't hate it at all! I was just watching some of my shows on it! ^^
Jul 11, 2015 4:51 PM

Feb 2015
I'm a premium member and I love it.
Jul 11, 2015 4:56 PM

Aug 2012
it's not crunchy enough for some people hahaha

them weebs don't like it when they can't do op/ed karaoke lol

But you'll still take damage!
Jul 11, 2015 5:21 PM

Aug 2012
I personally dislike it because they force you to pay for things by not letting you watch the latest episode of anime that could be found in many dozen other anime sites and have annoying ads.

Jicetus said:
KuriaHito said:

What do you expect from a free service? If you don't like the ads just buy premium.

Or use Adblock :D
MasterTengkorakJul 29, 2015 4:51 PM
Jul 27, 2015 11:37 PM
Jul 2018
iheartanimebros said:
I have heard from a few of my friends that do not like it is the fact that they want to actually own the anime. So crunchy roll is destroying the "art" of actually purchasing anime!

The majority of people are not willing to spend an outrageous amount of money to purchase and watch anime in physical form.
Jul 28, 2015 12:17 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
ClearSky said:
Jicetus said:

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 28, 2015 12:25 AM

Nov 2014
Swiggy said:
ClearSky said:

You still can't watch in hd if you don't pay.

Jul 28, 2015 3:40 AM

Jun 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
That's from 2013 and pisses me off. That guy is such a lying douchebag. Crunchyroll was a piracy site first and foremost. They had no intention at all to be a legal site until they were hit with C&D letters.
Wow, I never knew you were so opposed to piracy. Clearly, the Japanese anime industry has forgiven CR for their past transgressions, as evidenced by its willingness to do business with them. If the content creators can extend that kind of forgiveness, surely that's good enough for us as viewers as well?

iheartanimebros said:
I love crunchy roll but I have heard from a few of my friends that do not like it is the fact that they want to actually own the anime. So crunchy roll is destroying the "art" of actually purchasing anime!
The mere fact that a show is streaming on CR doesn't prevent anyone from buying/owning it. If there isn't a local release, people can import the Japanese discs if they can afford them and want the show that much. But chances are, if something's just streaming on CR with no English subbed and/or dubbed disc release, then companies have run the numbers and determined that it wouldn't be profitable to release the show on home video. And nothing about that would change even if CR had never streamed it in the first place.

ClearSky said:
I personally dislike it because they force you to pay for things by not letting you watch the latest episode of anime that could be found in many dozen other anime sites and have annoying ads.
Those other dozens of sites are illegal bootleg streaming sites; it's easy to have something fast when you don't have to pay anybody, sign any contracts, or do any subbing work. Nothing about CR forces anyone to watch an episode within the first week of its release, so I'm not seeing how that forces people to pay. As for annoying ads, I'm going to assume that there aren't any "non-annoying" ones in anyone's definition.

ExTamplier said:

I guess the concept of "if you want better stuff, you have to pay more" has been lost in this world where we insist that content creators both multiply and divide by zero in the eternal quest to compete against free. (As also seen in various "it would cost way more to buy Bleach/Naruto/One Piece than [insert 12-ep LN commerial here]" complaints.) Half the CR-hate in this thread can be boiled down to, "I hate CR because it's not instant, zero-cost, ad-free, and perfect quality," or in other words, "I resent that I'm being asked to accept some sacrifices or tradeoffs in terms of payment, ad watching, time delays, or reduced resolution so that the people who made the entertainment I enjoy can see some kind of compensation from my viewing."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jul 28, 2015 4:14 AM

Nov 2011
I don't hate them because without them HorribleSub won't exist and I won't be able to watch anime as easy as I do now.

Jul 28, 2015 4:37 AM

Feb 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
I don't hate them because without them HorribleSub won't exist and I won't be able to watch anime as easy as I do now.

Wait what ?
Jul 28, 2015 4:38 AM

Nov 2014
Zalis said:
ExTamplier said:

I guess the concept of "if you want better stuff, you have to pay more" has been lost in this world where we insist that content creators both multiply and divide by zero in the eternal quest to compete against free. (As also seen in various "it would cost way more to buy Bleach/Naruto/One Piece than [insert 12-ep LN commerial here]" complaints.) Half the CR-hate in this thread can be boiled down to, "I hate CR because it's not instant, zero-cost, ad-free, and perfect quality," or in other words, "I resent that I'm being asked to accept some sacrifices or tradeoffs in terms of payment, ad watching, time delays, or reduced resolution so that the people who made the entertainment I enjoy can see some kind of compensation from my viewing."

Or I could just download HorribleSubs 1080p

Jul 28, 2015 4:40 AM

Nov 2014
CyberAnimeLover said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Wait what ?
HorribleSubs rip out subtitles from Crunchyroll, for people who don't want to pay for shitty subs.

Jul 28, 2015 1:57 PM

Aug 2007
Zalis said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Wow, I never knew you were so opposed to piracy. Clearly, the Japanese anime industry has forgiven CR for their past transgressions, as evidenced by its willingness to do business with them. If the content creators can extend that kind of forgiveness, surely that's good enough for us as viewers as well?

Nope. Lying douchebag hypocrites don't deserve forgiveness. Plus we lost good subs when they went legal since almost all the real fansubbers decided to stop or rip the shitty subs instead.
Jul 29, 2015 2:51 AM

Jun 2007
ExTamplier said:
Or I could just download HorribleSubs 1080p
Thank you for proving my point.

BeyondDestiny said:
4) Why claim you're offering 1080p when most of it is just a rescale of 720p? Like really?
So CR is bad because their 1080p is just upscaled 720p, yet the pirated version of CR 1080p is desirable...? The haters just want it both ways, I guess.

Drunk_Samurai said:
Nope. Lying douchebag hypocrites don't deserve forgiveness.
So pirating is okay, but pirating and then going legit and contributing to the industry is not. Got it.

Plus we lost good subs when they went legal since almost all the real fansubbers decided to stop or rip the shitty subs instead.
A lot of those "real fansubbers" stopped fansubbing to work for CR in the first place, and I don't see how their work magically got worse after they gained access to actual recording scripts instead of working off audio or closed captions. This is just a case of "X is bad because official companies produce it" Syndrome. Yes, some things of value were lost, but we also don't have the incredibly shitty speedsub groups like AnimeJunkies, YourMom, or even Hadena anymore. And even the good fansubs of days past suffered from mishears and guesslations; when today's release groups clean up minor editing errors and de-localize official subs, the overall results are better.

KaiserNazrin said:
Um, what? It's no more difficult to download other groups' releases as it is to DL HS, and if CR and other legal streaming sites never existed, the old fansubbing scene would've provided subs for most reasonably popular shows. (Of course, there was always the occasional outlier like Lime iro Ryuukitan X, which aired in Winter '05 but was not completely subbed until January 2014...)

DejWo said:
Horriblesubs does better subtitles,that is why.

HS = CR (unless they're ripping Funi or some other site, which indicates that a show isn't on CR in the first place)
0/10
ZalisJul 29, 2015 10:37 AM

Jul 29, 2015 2:55 AM
Jul 2018
Horriblesubs does better subtitles,that is why.
Jul 29, 2015 1:15 PM

Aug 2007
Zalis said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Nope. Lying douchebag hypocrites don't deserve forgiveness.
So pirating is okay, but pirating and then going legit and contributing to the industry is not. Got it.

Plus we lost good subs when they went legal since almost all the real fansubbers decided to stop or rip the shitty subs instead. A lot of those "real fansubbers" stopped fansubbing to work for CR in the first place, and I don't see how their work magically got worse after they gained access to actual recording scripts instead of working off audio or closed captions. This is just a case of "X is bad because official companies produce it" Syndrome. Yes, some things of value were lost, but we also don't have the incredibly shitty speedsub groups like AnimeJunkies, YourMom, or even Hadena anymore. And even the good fansubs of days past suffered from mishears and guesslations; when today's release groups clean up minor editing errors and de-localize official subs, the overall results are better.

"Lying douchebag hypocrites " Nope I already said why right there. Has nothing to do with it being legit. Also I highly doubt they delocalize.
Jul 29, 2015 1:26 PM
Mar 2014
Why use crunchyroll when there's kissanime? Kissanime may also be streaming, but there's no ads, their more recent anime is higher quality, there's a huge variety of anime both old and currently airing, and best of all it's free. Crunchyroll is free if your fine with 20 ads an episode not to mention they have a more limited variety of shows.
Jul 29, 2015 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
myondaze said:
Why use crunchyroll when there's kissanime? Kissanime may also be streaming, but there's no ads, their more recent anime is higher quality, there's a huge variety of anime both old and currently airing, and best of all it's free. Crunchyroll is free if your fine with 20 ads an episode not to mention they have a more limited variety of shows.

Claims Kissanime has no ads yet I still get blocked out for using adblocker. The anime video quality is still worse then Crunchyroll and Funimation.
Jul 29, 2015 2:09 PM

Aug 2007
RainHeaven said:
myondaze said:

Claims Kissanime has no ads yet I still get blocked out for using adblocker. The anime video quality is still worse then Crunchyroll and Funimation.

How would the video quality be worst when most of the time they're just the same exact videos?
Jul 29, 2015 2:18 PM

Mar 2015
Personally I like Chrunchyroll 8 Euro's in a month to watch Anime is just awesome the thing that I dont like maybe even hate is how many Series you can watch.I heard that you can watch in the US literally everything Hunter x Hunter Shirobako Psycho Pass just all of thoes great show's where I live I can watch NONE of them only shitty show's like "The Testament of Sister New Devil".I still pay 8 euro's in a month for it because I like the idea behind it and for the hope that one day I can watch all show's I want on Chrunchyroll
Jul 29, 2015 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
Drunk_Samurai said:

How would the video quality be worst when most of the time they're just the same exact videos?

When the file is uploaded to an illegal streaming site, you have to worry about compression, artifacts, and banding issues which are not present on the official source. There is no way around it.

Edit: Also the fact that the videos are always re-encoded twice.
removed-userJul 29, 2015 2:55 PM
Jul 29, 2015 2:42 PM

Mar 2015
offmodel said:
_Raku_ said:
.I still pay 8 euro's in a month for it because I like the idea behind it and for the hope that one day I can watch all show's I want on Chrunchyroll

Depending on what happens when the EU takes on those Hollywood and UK studios (some of whom produce/distribute anime, like NBCUniversal) that could be changing. Here's the article I posted: https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/23/9020115/eu-antitrust-disney-film-studios
Thanks for that article
Jul 29, 2015 2:54 PM

Aug 2014
Having a single market across the EU for anime lisening would fuck stuff up with for the companies that release stuff on DVD and blu ray. Japanese publishers have a different attitude to english speaking terriories (UK didn't get knk blu rays but west europe did).

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jul 30, 2015 2:10 AM

May 2015
Mostly because the anime selection isn't that large (plus the translation sucks at times), for example; Katanagatari is not on Crunchyroll so I had to watch it on KissAnime. Sorry, but I am not going to pay over $80 to import the series from Japan.
Jul 31, 2015 1:11 AM

Aug 2007
black1blade said:
Having a single market across the EU for anime lisening would fuck stuff up with for the companies that release stuff on DVD and blu ray. Japanese publishers have a different attitude to english speaking terriories (UK didn't get knk blu rays but west europe did).

Games were released like that for years with multiple languages included. I don't see how it would fuck up DVDs/BDs.
Jul 31, 2015 1:28 AM

Nov 2014
neopets said:
because people are cheap.

Including me
Jul 31, 2015 1:29 AM

May 2015
Not only crunchyroll, the others also pretty suck.
Aug 1, 2015 6:21 AM

Aug 2014
Airing anime on Kissanime are direct rips from HS which are rips from CR so..... yea, and their visual quality suffers. You'll notice that once a good fansub appears, they will switch out the HS for the fansub. So if Kiss is your main source for new shows, just go CR. CR subs are mistranslated sometimes, and my biggest gripe is not getting signs and songs, (yes, they are important sometimes, insert songs to certain shows tell some of the story, they provide impact to scenes, also why watch an Idol anime with no subs for songs?) and the length at that they are there. Sometimes they are timed so poorly with episode titles or other conversation you don't have time to read, and I can read pretty well. It's just lazy. But there's so much good anime not on CR, go with the fansubs for them, for things that are coming out and licensed. You can stick with CR, they're bad, but watchable, and do provide not only a bit of profit but feedback in viewership numbers for the industry. If you really want to support the industry, buy merch.

What's disheartening and probably brings hate for CR, is because new gen kiddies see SAO, Seraph, and AoT and a bunch of generic harem echhi shounen on the front page of their Xbox and those get insane view numbers. So that is probably why studios think shows are more popular in the west than they are. So they will rehash those shows instead of providing the great quality that built it's popularity in the first place that doesn't get noticed anymore. It gets tiring seeing the same plot with new characters over and over with a few gems in between each season.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Aug 1, 2015 12:24 PM

Aug 2007
BlurredVision18 said:
Airing anime on Kissanime are direct rips from HS which are rips from CR so..... yea, and their visual quality suffers. You'll notice that once a good fansub appears, they will switch out the HS for the fansub. So if Kiss is your main source for new shows, just go CR. CR subs are mistranslated sometimes, and my biggest gripe is not getting signs and songs, (yes, they are important sometimes, insert songs to certain shows tell some of the story, they provide impact to scenes, also why watch an Idol anime with no subs for songs?) and the length at that they are there. Sometimes they are timed so poorly with episode titles or other conversation you don't have time to read, and I can read pretty well. It's just lazy. But there's so much good anime not on CR, go with the fansubs for them, for things that are coming out and licensed. You can stick with CR, they're bad, but watchable, and do provide not only a bit of profit but feedback in viewership numbers for the industry. If you really want to support the industry, buy merch.

What's disheartening and probably brings hate for CR, is because new gen kiddies see SAO, Seraph, and AoT and a bunch of generic harem echhi shounen on the front page of their Xbox and those get insane view numbers. So that is probably why studios think shows are more popular in the west than they are. So they will rehash those shows instead of providing the great quality that built it's popularity in the first place that doesn't get noticed anymore. It gets tiring seeing the same plot with new characters over and over with a few gems in between each season.

Well the quality won't be good regardless if you stream on CR or Kissanime as you said. I miss the real fansubs that actually would translate stuff like that. I miss the translation notes too that would explain jokes.
Aug 1, 2015 12:33 PM

Jul 2015
I don't necessarily HATE it, it's just that they don't have a bunch of shows. I watch from KissAnime like many people do, but honestly it makes me feel a little guilty because I'm pretty sure it's an illegal streaming site. I used to use Crunchyroll a lot but I sort of stopped.
Aug 1, 2015 12:57 PM

Aug 2007
DayP said:
I don't necessarily HATE it, it's just that they don't have a bunch of shows. I watch from KissAnime like many people do, but honestly it makes me feel a little guilty because I'm pretty sure it's an illegal streaming site. I used to use Crunchyroll a lot but I sort of stopped.

Be more like me and not feel guilty at all.
Aug 1, 2015 1:08 PM
Dec 2014
I don't hate them really. It is just that they are nowhere near as good a streaming service as Netflix.

And ofcourse the usual copyright region locking fuckery. But that is the fault of Japanese anime studios.
Aug 1, 2015 1:28 PM
Dec 2014
maku21 said:
it's not crunchy enough for some people hahaha

them weebs don't like it when they can't do op/ed karaoke lol

Honest question. Why settle for Crunchy when I can dl a well encoded 1080p 10 bit BD rip and play it on MPC-HC with madvr on my TV?
Aug 1, 2015 2:14 PM

Jun 2007
Feniksrises said:

Honest question. Why settle for Crunchy when I can dl a well encoded 1080p 10 bit BD rip and play it on MPC-HC with madvr on my TV?
And where are you going to find BD-rips for airing shows, which constitute the bulk of CR's viewing traffic? Either way, that preference is still no reason to hate CR, since you'd be waiting just as long even if CR never existed.

Aug 1, 2015 2:20 PM

Aug 2011
I like Crunchyroll, I am a premium member and satisfied with some of the anime they bring. If they don't have an anime, I just go to other websites.
Aug 8, 2015 11:29 AM

Aug 2015
I bought some anime from Crunchyroll when they where selling downloads years ago, little did I know that they where just pocketing that money and none going to the right people, but that they would remove the downloads and leave you high and dry after awhile.

They have really been dropping the ball lately, and the mods are banning people that disagree with their sock-puppet accounts as well. Rather sad. And let's not even start on them dropping the Samsung TV app, their Cloudflare issue, database getting laid wide open and accounts getting hacked left and right...

And they are flaky as hell on shipping.
Aug 8, 2015 11:33 AM

Nov 2014
TwoTon said:
They have really been dropping the ball lately, and the mods are banning people that disagree with their sock-puppet accounts as well.

Im not sure what the banning thing is about.. What do you mean?
Aug 8, 2015 11:40 AM

Aug 2015
TheDerpMan said:
TwoTon said:
They have really been dropping the ball lately, and the mods are banning people that disagree with their sock-puppet accounts as well.

Im not sure what the banning thing is about.. What do you mean?

They have a forum, messaging, emailing thing as well.
Pages (35) « First ... « 28 29 [30] 31 32 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days?

anizawa89 - Yesterday

38 by Shizuna »»
3 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 3 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

100 by rlyvtei »»
3 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

55 by weebtoge »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you take screenshots of Anime ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - May 5

50 by Starchaser »»
9 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 )

tappioca - Yesterday

69 by weebtoge »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.