Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2010 6:47 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Can't believe no one's started a thread on this manga yet. Well regardless, this was definitely one of the most disturbing things I've read or watched. It's incredibly creative, but I'm not really sure I understood much of it once it was through. And how about those last few pages? More than a little awkward and surreal wasn't it?
Mar 19, 2011 8:57 PM
Feb 2008
Yeah it kinda went down THAT path. you know the whole EVERYONE DIES which a lot of scifi anime/manga seems to love to do.

Felt kinda rush and illogical to me. What with the whole dragon princess from the beginning (her sister) and the dark version of Shiina and whatnot. Also killing off everyone she cared about so quickly felt like the author just wanted to up the ante at a break neck pace but it didn't feel logical especially considering her powers and Tsumaru having control over Hoshimaru.

Kinda missed the point, but I guess it was about the loss of innocence, not only of children but as a species. Though it's funny that the main lead who's always so optimistic and gung ho would just resign herself to such a bleak outlook. I guess this the author's way of showing us look look no one is safe!

But ultimately that puts Shiina/Kuro on the same level as everyone else just that she has the means to wipe out everything. Kinda defeats the whole point of being enlightened and "better than your average joe" when you commit the same actions as the people you're against.

Dissapointing but I guess I'm not pseudo intellectual enough to "understand its true meaning"
Aah...whatever
Apr 16, 2011 5:24 PM

Oct 2009
The ending did feel a bit rushed, how suddenly they were killing off everyone in just a few pages, but I've got to say, I did love it. It reminds me of the Evangelion ending a bit.

This manga was a great read. Norio was my favorite character, and he got such a cruel death. ;_;
May 29, 2011 5:31 PM

Jan 2010
sweet jesus what happened? a whole bunch of wooshy woosh, deaths of characters, and then he slaps together something and calls it an ending. what? my final score is now a 8, could have been an 9, but the rushed ending just ruined it for me. anyone care to explain what in the holy hell happened? she saved the world and people take their anger out on the hero? WTF? at least in bokurano it was justified.
Jun 19, 2011 10:20 PM

Oct 2008
When I finished reading Bokurano I tought no other manga would be as psychological as that one... but I didn't count the existence of NaruTaru! D:
I mean, I'm still just like WTF?! :O

Ousto said:
This manga was a great read. Norio was my favorite character, and he got such a cruel death. ;_;

Oh, I agree with you! Norio was so awesome! :(
I didn't understand how was that he died??? O_o
I was so shocked by the sight of his death that I couldn't proccess what was happening?? I still don't know and I'm not prepared for a reread of that chapter [or any chapters of this manga :/]
Jun 23, 2011 6:01 AM

Jan 2010
KiryuHika said:
When I finished reading Bokurano I tought no other manga would be as psychological as that one... but I didn't count the existence of NaruTaru! D:
I mean, I'm still just like WTF?! :O

Ousto said:

Oh, I agree with you! Norio was so awesome! :(
I didn't understand how was that he died??? O_o
I was so shocked by the sight of his death that I couldn't proccess what was happening?? I still don't know and I'm not prepared for a reread of that chapter [or any chapters of this manga :/]

he was stabbed repeatedly by the guy who was raping him.
Jun 25, 2011 10:21 PM

Oct 2008
Algazero said:

Thank you so much for clarifying that point!
I did a little google research and found out that the site where I was reading the manga did not have these chapters and without knowing I skipped all that part :/
That also explains why I didn't get the Hoshimaru/Tsurumaru relation until the end! *fail*
Dec 7, 2011 8:13 AM

Jan 2010
KiryuHika said:
Algazero said:

I did a little google research and found out that the site where I was reading the manga did not have these chapters and without knowing I skipped all that part :/
That also explains why I didn't get the Hoshimaru/Tsurumaru relation until the end! *fail*

well that was to be a sort of a twist about halfway. it was quite subtle and i almost missed it.
Jan 3, 2012 11:15 PM

Dec 2011
Algazero said:
KiryuHika said:
Algazero said:

well that was to be a sort of a twist about halfway. it was quite subtle and i almost missed it.

I missed that part ... I was so confused, for a second I thought Tsurumaru killed Norio,
though the fight between him and the thugs said otherwise
Mar 19, 2012 12:31 AM

Nov 2011
Finally I've ended it! I've been delaying reading it since so long... I'm a bit dizzy, I don't know if I liked it or not yet! XD (I'll need to sleep on it!)

Anyway, I was reading it because it was the work of the same guy who did Bokurano so... One thing is for certain; the ending felt if not good, at least really "appropriated" for all the madness that this journey was. XD Hell yeah, reboot that world! All the chars were suffered beggining to end, this vision of the world shouldn't stay alive! xP

thatguy said:
But ultimately that puts Shiina/Kuro on the same level as everyone else just that she has the means to wipe out everything. Kinda defeats the whole point of being enlightened and "better than your average joe" when you commit the same actions as the people you're against.

Dissapointing but I guess I'm not pseudo intellectual enough to "understand its true meaning"
Aah...whatever

Hmmm, I think that wasn't about "being better" but about the power? Everyone was looking into it since the beginning, both Sudo and Tsurumaru sides. The "power to change the world in something better". As I said before, with all horrible stuff happening to the characters they must have not much hope this could be done by something other than "restarting all over", it's a very bleak view of world this story... It was only needing to remove Shiina's hope. I guess author felt so confident he needn't much after killing her father that he rushed this final bit in flashbacks.

You can say Sudo somehow acted like the better man somehow... He says before the final chapter something like "I think it's always needed for someone to do the job of wiping everything to start over, I just don't think that person should be on command of anything". And then he gave up becoming a Otohime to just die after starting the nuclear holocaust.

But I agree it's is such a common and by now overused trope ("destroy all to start over") but at least Shadow Star IS indeed a bit of an old manga (older than Bokurano too, of 1998 finished in 2003) so "I forgive it". xP

Algazero said:
anyone care to explain what in the holy hell happened? she saved the world and people take their anger out on the hero? WTF? at least in bokurano it was justified.

Wow, not wanting to be mean, but you really understood nothing. xP She saved no one... Sudo was basically dead when she found him, Bungo and Ozawa got useless, dad died, Akira almost, mom fainted... But this was all made so she could connect with her dragon. Not "save the world". Just so they could awaken the power in her to change the world into whatever she wants (all chars but her wanted that in their own specific ways, I guess).

The nuclear bombs had already exploded everywhere by then and that whole "nuclear winter" they were infodumping on the volume 12 would probably happened... Or at least the people that didn't know the world could be manipulated by her mind and Mamiko's would think that. Above all that reporter released her name and pic on the press as one of the dragon bearers "responsibles for the nuclear holocaust" so yeah, lot's of reasons for misinformed people to want to kill her.

DalPuri said:
Algazero said:
KiryuHika said:
Algazero said:

I missed that part ... I was so confused, for a second I thought Tsurumaru killed Norio,

THAT HAPPENED WITH ME TOO! I've notice before finishing all manga though (I took a big while to noticed it wasn't "going to be flashbacked what happened" and I had indeed skipped chapters xP), so I manage to read chapter 67 only after finally understanding those parts.

To me it was missing the whole volume 10, which is the only couple of chapters 49 and 50 (200 pages in 2 chapters! xP), all that Tarasque and US army "arc". All the "read online" scans didn't have it so I needed to download a torrent of it. Oh boy, the rage I felt! xP I'm discounting all in these extra typings... xP (not really)
TBOkmphMar 19, 2012 12:36 AM
Apr 8, 2012 10:16 AM

Jan 2010
TBOkmph said:
Algazero said:
anyone care to explain what in the holy hell happened? she saved the world and people take their anger out on the hero? WTF? at least in bokurano it was justified.

Wow, not wanting to be mean, but you really understood nothing. xP She saved no one... Sudo was basically dead when she found him, Bungo and Ozawa got useless, dad died, Akira almost, mom fainted... But this was all made so she could connect with her dragon. Not "save the world". Just so they could awaken the power in her to change the world into whatever she wants (all chars but her wanted that in their own specific ways, I guess).

The nuclear bombs had already exploded everywhere by then and that whole "nuclear winter" they were infodumping on the volume 12 would probably happened... Or at least the people that didn't know the world could be manipulated by her mind and Mamiko's would think that. Above all that reporter released her name and pic on the press as one of the dragon bearers "responsibles for the nuclear holocaust" so yeah, lot's of reasons for misinformed people to want to kill her.

To be fair, quite a large amount of people saw her fight for them (I think back at the base, its been awhile so I don't remember the ending entirely) so word should have spread like wildfire. I understand that she basically saved no one because everyone that she cared for and fought for were killed off. I got that so I didn't miss anything there. Bungo basically died since his "dragon" was put through Shiina's father's jet engine. Ozawa gave up on life basically after Bungo died. Akira died (through murder or suicide is unknown since we only see her after she fell from the roof). Shiina's mom was killed in the car when the guy shot at it. Besides, she already had connected with her dragon, which is why she was able to teleport/mold the earth into what she wanted. Don't forget, Shiina didn't destroy the world, Mamiko did. Mamiko is very much the antithesis of Shiina.
I don't remember the nuclear subplot at all. Guess I gotta re-read it. Though you can't disagree, too much happened in one chapter for
a) it to have any impact
and b) to make a lot of sense.
Hence my disappointment with the last chapter. This should have been spread out over at least 2 or 3 chapters.
Oct 12, 2012 8:49 AM

Feb 2010
Ousto said:
The ending did feel a bit rushed, how suddenly they were killing off everyone in just a few pages, but I've got to say, I did love it. It reminds me of the Evangelion ending a bit.

Yes, Norio was my favourite too. I didn't realized that his dragon was projecting his wish as a vision to Tsumaru, the desire of wanting to be able to have a baby. This idea only hits me a while later when I was looking back and pondering about his death.
Jan 20, 2013 10:11 AM
Jul 2012
damn. i did not need this.
Mar 16, 2013 12:01 PM

Sep 2012
What chapter did Norio die? I don't ever remember that happening.

Is there an entire volume I'm missing here? Cause when Tsurumaru was suddenly bed-ridden, bald, and scarred, I had no idea what the hell was going on. And then Hoshimaru freaked and stuck to his head and wat.

But yeah, those last 2 pages. What. The. Fuck.
Was that Kuri with Shiina?? Akira?? Tsurumaru??? Was it an Adam & Eve allusion?
Why were they both pregnant?!

What happened to Bungo and Satomi? They just get swept away in the shitstorm?
Mar 24, 2013 12:40 AM
Feb 2010
Amputeed said:

Is there an entire volume I'm missing here? Cause when Tsurumaru was suddenly bed-ridden, bald, and scarred, I had no idea what the hell was going on. And then Hoshimaru freaked and stuck to his head and wat.

Yeah there are chapters missing in certain sites that are present in others. I was reading in mangareader where those chapters were missing but they were in mangafox.

I believe in the end it was an Adam and Eve scenario in the future with Shina's daughter and Kuri's son.
Mar 24, 2013 12:26 PM

Sep 2012
SlashBriar said:
Amputeed said:

Yeah there are chapters missing in certain sites that are present in others. I was reading in mangareader where those chapters were missing but they were in mangafox.

I believe in the end it was an Adam and Eve scenario in the future with Shina's daughter and Kuri's son.

Could you possibly tell me around what volume or chapter that was? MangaEden claimed to have all 67 chapters, but I suppose it's possible they deleted a few pages.
Mar 26, 2013 6:35 PM
Feb 2010
Amputeed said:
SlashBriar said:
Amputeed said:

Could you possibly tell me around what volume or chapter that was? MangaEden claimed to have all 67 chapters, but I suppose it's possible they deleted a few pages.
Amputeed said:
SlashBriar said:
Amputeed said:

The whole thing is very confusing but under volume 10, mangafox has the whole Norio thing which I missed and a whole side arc with Shiina and another dragon kid as well as explanation on what happened to Shiina before her parents found her in the bag and important clues on a Hoshimaru reveal, while in mangareader it had a whole different arc story of Shiina's father's trip to Russia.
Not sure about how it is in mangaeden.

All of that wouldn't make much sense to be in a single volume.
May 12, 2013 7:11 PM
Dec 2012
Even though there were tags on this manga mature seining, I couldn't believe since the whole story begins with a cheerful go lucky 12 year old girl who finds a cute star looking creature..... NOT A KIDS MANGA

Then comes the rape, killing, bullying, maternity blues, depression, etc etc..... oh god and all the sex hahah well it wasn't allot but like I said since I wasn't expecting it to be that way it felt like allot

Hmm did Tsurumaru really have that many kids??? he said 5 or six then that other girls making it 7 huh... How old was he? and being with Shiina well then again with all the rest of the things going on in this manga I guess this could be over looked hahaha.....

Okay I'm like huh I don't want to say the word empty since it sounds so dramatic but I'm not sure what else to say about the ending of this manga well actually the whole manga....

I mean I guess a rushed ending contributes to my numbness but I guess seeing how everything was lost everything nothing is left you kinda don't cry over it . I mean if there's nothing else why cry? huh I make no sense but that's how I feel hahah, believe me I cry so much in mangas but this manga I cried only when Norio died and he wasn't my favorite character but I guess that one hit hard somehow than the rest not that it wasn't sad IT WAS COMPLETELY MEST UP SAD but well again there was nothing left....

hmmm for me there's so much unanswered things but then again maybe because I'm a slow person I didn't grasp the answers through out the manga some trivial things and some things like obviously the ending and such..

not a kids manga.
May 14, 2013 8:54 AM
Jul 2012
I wish I'd never read this.
May 23, 2013 8:40 PM
Dec 2012
Toire said:

Yea me too in a way. As soon as I finished reading it I came here to post it then I looked it up on google which it lead to me ending up on the scary side of the internet .... I didn't come online till just this week hah.
Feb 18, 2015 7:19 PM

Sep 2012
Toire said:

Dunno.

I'm so confused. WTF have I read. But it was nice, 7/10 all in all
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
May 26, 2015 9:05 PM

Sep 2010
5/10.. was so-so till the pointless end.. -.-"
Apr 29, 2016 8:18 PM

May 2015
Hmm shame the ending was rushed in this, a lot of stuff felt skimmed over and unexplained, didn't understand why tsurumaru died, or Akira, or norio for that matter thought the dragon children were immortal. Shina got blown to bits but regenerated. Liked bits of this manga but felt a bit too incomplete overall. Anime was cool, Shame they didn't complete it but think the first half was better in any case.
Sep 9, 2016 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
In the end...can you explain me who the hell was her?

Akira's mother?
Sep 9, 2016 9:30 PM

Mar 2013
From what I have understood, Norio is killed by yakuza that raped him, also they ripped off his head and put it in his angel creation.

Tsurumaru, Shiina's mother, Tatsumi Miyako,... are killed by angry people after the leak of secret informations.

Akira commits suicide for no reason? Maybe beacuse she felt alone.
Dec 28, 2018 5:45 AM

Dec 2015
I loved the way this epilogue told the conclusion through Shiina's "walk", with almost no transition.

5/5

Disturbing series around disturbed children, with a rather heavy atmosphere despite a few happy-looking first chapters. It progresses quite weirdly, wandering around the lifes of several characters before the final tomes, making the intrigue look like an afterthought and possibly harder to follow than it is.
Great creature design.

Score: ?/10

@Paulotronator Something fun, obviously. ;)
Rei_IIIFeb 9, 2021 12:36 AM
Feb 8, 2021 7:02 PM
Jun 2017
Just WTF was this?
Sep 14, 2022 11:40 PM

Mar 2018
Some people said it's rushed, but really, it already said most of what it wanted to say, and it would've been boring slowly getting to the last thing it had left which was the disconnection from the material Shiina had to go through. All of the dragon bearers were going through to a certain extent, and the most obvious were Kuri, and Sudo.

Overall, great series. The only story that's compelled me to take notes throughout. Sudo's 'I am nothingness, and Tsurumaru is chaos' speech, from my understanding, refers to Sudo's (self-perceived) goal to bring everything to nothingness through destruction. Tsurumaru's part is the most confusing, but it probably relates to something I learned a while ago. Edit: Which is also the overarching theme, I believe.

That plants, animals, humans - material life brings more chaos the more intelligence they have. This relates to the Christian concept, the Tree of Knowledge (the temptation of intelligence). Adam and Eve's recognization of nakedness refers to the recognization of self, wherein they (we) self-subvert. Self-subversion of purity (faith) bears chaos. Satan (chaos) is the personification of intelligence (among other things (chaos, lol)), and intelligence is the subversion of faith. That's why Babylon is against God, because the two Babylonian empires (like to Akkad, like Byzantium to Rome) invented (Heliocentric) astronomy, mathematics, etc. Gnostics are the opposite on this issue as they believe knowledge is the spiritual, whereas Christians believe faith is the spiritual. Satanists are just spiritual nihilists, so they don't really care about all this stuff.

I don't know what story the writer wished to convey, and what of these three he based it off of, but he certainly wrote an interesting one that makes you think.

Reading back in the thread, apparently someone mentioned that the ending could be the returning to the state of purity (Eden), and a reboot of everything, to the beginning of the world in the Bible. Also, didn't notice that they were their kids, thought they were kissing for no reason. In question:
SlashBriar said:
hypergoobSep 15, 2022 12:45 AM

More topics from this board

» this manga confuses me

psyche-K - Oct 12, 2023

1 by offcrack »»
Oct 13, 2023 4:59 AM

Poll: » Narutaru: Mukuro Naru Hoshi Tama Taru Ko Chapter 47 Discussion

psyche-K - Oct 12, 2023

3 by FierySkies »»
Oct 12, 2023 11:47 PM

» This feels more like it should be published by Akita Shoten instead of Kodansha.

AkihitoZero1224 - Feb 13, 2023

0 by AkihitoZero1224 »»
Feb 13, 2023 12:09 PM

» Where do I get the uncensored manga?

ZXZXZXZXZXZXZX - Aug 31, 2019

3 by ZXZXZXZXZXZXZX »»
Aug 30, 2021 6:15 PM

Poll: » Narutaru: Mukuro Naru Hoshi Tama Taru Ko Chapter 62 Discussion

Rei_III - Dec 28, 2018

0 by Rei_III »»
Dec 28, 2018 4:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.