Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 22, 2010 12:58 AM

Nov 2008
Posted in the wrong section.
PizzaholicOct 26, 2010 2:26 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 22, 2010 1:30 AM

Nov 2009
I blame every one but myself.
Aug 22, 2010 9:13 AM

Jul 2010
I think it's because we've all gotten lazy. This generation and age is used to getting everything they want: a good education, surplus of food, instant communication. The majority of us (who are living in developed countries) don't have to worry about survival. We can constantly indulge ourselves in the luxuries and frivolities of entertainment. (I won't get in a heated debate about media, but our idea of entertainment now is pure trash.) Nobody's doing anything anymore, or at least anything worthwhile.

I'm an orch dork, through and through. I'm an orch dork. How 'bout you?
Aug 22, 2010 9:20 AM

Apr 2010
It sucks because we're all just consumers that refuse to consume intelligently.
Aug 22, 2010 10:25 AM

Nov 2009
Where're my rocket-powered shoes?!
curiouser and curiouser :)
Aug 22, 2010 10:28 AM

Jul 2010
The solution is to restart and go back to the beginning.
Aug 22, 2010 10:37 AM
Jul 2010
DrakeWants2Speak said:
Really, what's going on? Wasn't Obama supposed to bring about change when he was elected? With the economy as bad as it is(supposedly), you would think that there would've been some solution to this matter, right? I guess he cares more about sipping coffee at Martha's Vineyard than the problems in his own backyard, huh? I wonder how all of my fellow African-Americans(who blindly elected this guy simply because of his ethnicity) feel now?

Then we have the NBA, otherwise known as the National Basketball Association or the National Botched Atrocity, as I like to call it at times. A league were someone like Jermaine O'Neal made approximately $44,388,000 in his last two seasons with the Miami Heat. And the Commissioner, David Stern, wonders why the league is losing money.

There's also the hip-hop industry. Yes. An industry where talent has has become almost completely irrelevant in favor of music suitable for clubbing and most lyrics boil down to simply "I get money", "I get bitches/ho's/pussy", and "Do the *insert random foolishness*. Just look at this clown. He's a perfect example! It's a shame what people will accept as "quality" nowadays.

These are just a few things that have been on my mind lately. But my question is, primarily in terms if entertainment, why has there been such a large regression over the years? Is there someone to blame? If so, then who? Maybe it's us, as a society for accepting mediocrity? Who knows, right?

Obama, Bush everyone of them are the same, all they care is to fill their pockets with money, everyone who has decent brain know that, and his words "Yes, we can" probably means that we can fool you, and fill our pockets, people, that's all I can say.
Aug 22, 2010 10:43 AM

Mar 2009
DrakeWants2Speak said:
Really, what's going on? Wasn't Obama supposed to bring about change when he was elected? With the economy as bad as it is(supposedly), you would think that there would've been some solution to this matter, right? I guess he cares more about sipping coffee at Martha's Vineyard than the problems in his own backyard, huh? I wonder how all of my fellow African-Americans(who blindly elected this guy simply because of his ethnicity) feel now?

I hope you realise that all presidents, like Obama and Bush before him, rarely "vacation" while on vacation. They still have advisors and staff with them at all times.

Secondly, if anyone thought Obama could fix the economy this quickly, they were blind. Especially with the Republicans blocking more stimulus spending.

DrakeWants2Speak said:
Then we have the NBA, otherwise known as the National Basketball Association or the National Botched Atrocity, as I like to call it at times. A league were someone like Jermaine O'Neal made approximately $44,388,000 in his last two seasons with the Miami Heat. And the Commissioner, David Stern, wonders why the league is losing money.

Meh. Atheletes of all sports are paid a lot. It's nothing new.

DrakeWants2Speak said:
These are just a few things that have been on my mind lately. But my question is, primarily in terms if entertainment, why has there been such a large regression over the years? Is there someone to blame? If so, then who? Maybe it's us, as a society for accepting mediocrity? Who knows, right?

Entertainment has improved I think. The Hollywood romance movement of the baby boom era and the continual breakdown of antiquated social structures is being better represented in the arts.
Aug 22, 2010 10:45 AM

Jul 2008
Don't worry guys, you only have to wait one more year then everything will be wiped off the planet
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2010 10:46 AM

Apr 2010
CanadianCold said:
Don't worry guys, you only have to wait one more year then everything will be wiped off the planet
Thank god
Aug 22, 2010 10:55 AM

Apr 2009
I don't think 90s were better than today.
Aug 22, 2010 11:14 AM
Jul 2010
zharnotczar said:
CanadianCold said:
Thank god

suffering will be gone :D
Aug 22, 2010 2:12 PM

Apr 2009
DrakeWants2Speak said:
I wonder how all of my fellow African-Americans(who blindly elected this guy simply because of his ethnicity) feel now?
What a stupid thing to do... Also, even the president can go on holiday. Don't think being president is so easy that you don't need breaks.

Stuff always sucks, our way of life is jury rigged. We keep it going by applying patches and temporary solutions but the problems always arise again later or new problems take their place.

It is not the fault of society as a whole, it is just groups. On the subject of Hip-Hop, people can and will argue that it requires talent, though it's much harder to argue that now than it was 20 years ago.

You could easily have said "It'll be 1939 in a few months, so why does everything suck?". Any year would suffice, every time period has it's own problems, these are ours.
Aug 22, 2010 2:30 PM

Jul 2008
SaraSlurpsCoffee said:
Where're my rocket-powered shoes?!

And why is Scotty never there when I need beaming up?
Aug 22, 2010 3:45 PM

Feb 2005
The joke's on you if you really believed Obama would CHANGE stuff.

As for the entertainment industry, everything tends to get more bad the older you get since the more you see, the more you'll grow tired of the same old clichés and conventions.
But hell yes, I agree with the hiphop thing, not that I bother looking of good hiphop, but the little popular shit I have the misfortune of hearing is certainly not promising.
Aug 22, 2010 8:10 PM

Jun 2008
Instead of focusing on negatives, I'll respond by giving some positives:

#1 We did not plunge into a depression (as bad as the economy has been, at least it hasn't reached a catastrophic bottom)

#2 The Iraq war is basically OVER, all combat troops have exited and that phase of the war is pretty much wrapped up. (BTW, Obama promised to end the Iraq war, which HE DID, so give him some credit for that)

#3 The NBA might not be the greatest, but we Still have the NFL, and as any American will tell you, the NFL is more important than all the other professional leagues combined.

I'm actually optimistic about 2011, I think it will be better than 2010, hope is a lot better than despair, and we should always look at the bright side instead of complaining about things we can't change.
Aug 22, 2010 8:15 PM

Aug 2008
alexcampos said:
Instead of focusing on negatives, I'll respond by giving some positives:

#1 We did not plunge into a depression (as bad as the economy has been, at least it hasn't reached a catastrophic bottom)

Yea. I really LOVE how people just flat out don't see that. Yet, I tend to wonder: perhaps we DO deserve a depression -- just to get a good smack on our heads. Of course, by saying that, I'm asking for my own grave.

===

On a personal note, my 2010 year isn't as good as my 2009 year. That's because - the things that I do -- aren't making the necessary changes for the better. My own stagnation continues; and it's really up to me to shake that up a bit.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 22, 2010 8:20 PM

Jul 2008
I disagree with sports. The NFL is where it's at. Yes we have little bitches like Albert Haynesworth who want to get payed more, but we have guys like Ndamukong Suh and Sam Bradford that I'm just excited to see play.

Obama is a celebrity. He has time to be on TV and catch a ball by motherfucking Drew Brees for a commercial, but he has no time to save some jobs.

Science has not improved in a while because all the good scientists are trying to figure out how to make phones so small they fit in your ear and trying to make people even lazier.

As for rap, Dr. Dre can go fuck himself. TEN YEARS for an album? That dude is crazy. I'll be over here listening to J. Cole actually make an album.

Let's face it, something awesome happens once every what, twenty years?
Aug 22, 2010 8:35 PM
Jun 2010
alexcampos said:

#3 The NBA might not be the greatest, but we Still have the NFL, and as any American will tell you, the NFL is more important than all the other professional leagues combined.

Ewww, professional sports... I hate NCAA football, but I'd rather watch a Div. II football game than a "NFL game". But ultimately, my heart is in college basketball. <33 Gotta love the epic March Madness and the tons-beyond-tons of basketball games played. ~_~ Rarely is the outcome accurately predicted. :p
Aug 22, 2010 8:42 PM

Jul 2008
"Yea. I really LOVE how people just flat out don't see that. Yet, I tend to wonder: perhaps we DO deserve a depression -- just to get a good smack on our heads. Of course, by saying that, I'm asking for my own grave."

No, you're actually right. For the longest time America has been full of people bitching and moaning about how they hate their job and as a result made mediocre products. As a result, they started trimming the fat of the people who were to busy worrying about who Tammy was sleeping with when they should have been working on their homework.

At this point, people should be actually studying in school because you're not going to get a job if you don't have some skills. And no, sleeping with 45 girls by the time you're a senior in high school is not a skill so you gotta find another one.
Aug 22, 2010 8:43 PM
Oct 2008
Honestly, if you voted for either candidate during the election and thought that the economy would be fixed within the year or 2 once they where elected, then you are naive.

Also, Presidents go on vacation, Obama isn't doing any different than what other Presidents have done. Reagan even went on vacation during the recession he was in office for and I believe he used to hold the record for the most vacations before Bush overtook it. Also, like GoodEnoughForMe said(and the article you even sighted), they are hardly vacationing. Even if he wasn't on vacation, do you think the economy would be fixed any faster or in the next day?

What with how polarized the government is, it's kind of hard to get ANYTHING done when both parties disagree on how the economy should be fixed.
Aug 22, 2010 8:49 PM

Mar 2010
DrakeWants2Speak said:

There's also the hip-hop industry. Yes. An industry where talent has has become almost completely irrelevant in favor of music suitable for clubbing and most lyrics boil down to simply "I get money", "I get bitches/ho's/pussy", and "Do the *insert random foolishness*. Just look at this clown. He's a perfect example! It's a shame what people will accept as "quality" nowadays.

On this subject, it sounds like you just listened to the latest Lil Wayne song (whatever piece of crap that was).

Aug 22, 2010 8:58 PM

Jul 2007
DrakeWants2Speak said:

What you said about the economy is mind-numbingly ignorant. Obama is about as worried as he can get over it, but worrying can only get you so far. He does have other important things he has to tend to anyway, and I promise you he was a much better choice than McCain would've been. If fucking Glenn Beck acknowledges that, then you should too.

Shit he's done:

Ended the spectre of permanent military bases in Iraq, got diplomatic access to Suu Kyi, put enough cash out there to help save many large employers, put in a timetable for Afghanistan, put in the credit card bill of rights, expanded loan programs for small businesses, put conditions on Pakistani aid that requires their help in the GWoT, gave nearly unfettered access to Cuba for Cuban-Americans, released further documentation that he promised he'd release as far as the office of the President is concerned, created more transparency in government, started putting up large amounts of government info on the web so as to extend transparency, increased funding for national parks, authorized the compiling of a report on Mandatory Minimum Sentencing with the aim of reform, added another space shuttle, worked on helping to encourage the private sector to help with space travel, tons of positive steps regarding the ISS, funded an expansion of Americorps, overturned Ledbetter vs. Goodyear, put an actual native in place as an adviser on Native American relations, banned all lobbyist gifts to anyone in the Executive branch, set up a program to weatherize 1M homes, increased funding for the EPA, extended Unemployment Insurance and suspended taxes on benefits, etc.

As for your hip-hop comments, nobody accepts Soulja Boy as "quality". They might listen to him, and they might even enjoy him, but nobody thinks he's quality. Certainly not the majority of people anyway. And yes, there's a lot of mainstream hip-hop which is catered more towards having a good beat than towards having good lyrics, but there is also shit out there with great fucking flow and lyrics. You just have to look for it.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Aug 22, 2010 9:54 PM

Apr 2010
For the past decade hiphop has been pretty good... Outkast / Jay Z heavily dominated every best-of lists deservingly so. Picking out one bad artist in a genre is easy
rock - nickelback or hinder.

Though I apologize for Hollaback Girl, fuck that was as annonying as metal machine music and london bridge combined..

Curren$y recently released a good album :p
Aug 22, 2010 10:41 PM

Jul 2007
ayEwyllie said:
For the past decade hiphop has been pretty good... Outkast / Jay Z heavily dominated every best-of lists deservingly so. Picking out one bad artist in a genre is easy
rock - nickelback or hinder.

Though I apologize for Hollaback Girl, fuck that was as annonying as metal machine music and london bridge combined..

Curren$y recently released a good album :p

In hip-hop J-Dilla, Flying Lotus, and Nujabes are my three favorites.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Aug 23, 2010 12:01 AM

Feb 2010
I love how you people complain about Obama.

At least he doesn't have twenty children and multiple wives - President Zuma just married this past January AGAIN, and already another engaement waiting in the wings :/

And Obama never claimed something as idiotic as having a shower after unprotected sex will prevent you from catching HIV.
Aug 23, 2010 5:31 AM

Jun 2008
ArtRodriguez said:
I disagree with sports. The NFL is where it's at. Yes we have little bitches like Albert Haynesworth who want to get payed more, but we have guys like Ndamukong Suh and Sam Bradford that I'm just excited to see play.

Exactly, I always get pumped up for the new season of NFL every fall.

The NFL has long replaced MLB as the true "American Pastime".

MLB, NBA, and any other professional sport in America would DIE just to get HALF the TV ratings the NFL receives on a regular season game.

and as we all know, the Super Bowl is the greatest sporting event in America, nothing beats it, just ask the 109 Million people who watched SB XLIV.
Aug 23, 2010 6:44 AM
Apr 2009
zharnotczar said:
It sucks because we're all just consumers that refuse to consume intelligently.

tops off to this comment... completely the reality of what is crushing america... people do not consume intellegently...
they don't place value in quality anymore... just the cheapest price... they too easily follow the garbage they view as popular... and likely the most hillarious... they trust politicians to actually make decisions for them...

oh well, I am sick of complaining how the world has gone to hell, once the masses make up their mind in this society there is little that I can do. I figure sit back and enjoy the ride... (people claim the economy is rebounding, but say that to the significant decline of the dollars value... i don't care what your imaginary numbers all say, the whole economy is nothing more than speculation, and in the end all I see is lower wages and higher living costs... screw anyone who says otherwise)
Aug 23, 2010 6:54 AM
Jul 2010
zharnotczar said:
CanadianCold said:
Thank god

thank god indeed. i wish i had that luck though. i mean, if the world ends in 2012, fuck i've spent all my life in school. and if it doesn't, fuck, when is this gonna end?
Aug 23, 2010 10:51 PM

Aug 2010
Sucks I will graduate from university...
Aug 24, 2010 4:45 AM

Feb 2010
It's not necessarily his fault alone. I understand that being president is quite a tough job. It's not like any of us are helping him reach his goal by being crabby. He needs the help of the community who appear to be lazy as well. At least he's doing more than what we're doing right now. Then again I don't know that for sure since I never met him personally. I don't think we should be talking like this about people we don't know in person, even if it's our president who promised to make things better. Although it could be that someone else would have made a better president. He probably was only elected because of his color. Rather sad, eh?

Aug 24, 2010 9:14 AM

Aug 2010
As much as we may hate everything now I really think its just that we are getting older and growing out of the same old crap. The main thing I can comment on is the music industry and how bad it is but when I was 13 I loved every bit of it. I'm sure there were older than me at the time saying the same thing now.

However, I really do think its a fact that most hip-hop/rap is utter trash. People only want to make club hits and not actual music anymore. That's exactly why I got into rock and metal.
Aug 24, 2010 10:08 AM

Jan 2009
alexcampos said:
ArtRodriguez said:

Exactly, I always get pumped up for the new season of NFL every fall.

The NFL has long replaced MLB as the true "American Pastime".

MLB, NBA, and any other professional sport in America would DIE just to get HALF the TV ratings the NFL receives on a regular season game.

and as we all know, the Super Bowl is the greatest sporting event in America, nothing beats it, just ask the 109 Million people who watched SB XLIV.

The reason the NFL doesn't have problems with player contracts is because once they run out their usefulness the team could just release them and not pay them their money. In the NBA, a contract has to be seen to it's conclusion or the team has to buy the player out of their contract like the Knicks did to Stephon Marbury.

alexcampos, you have to be the most sensible NFL fan in the US. You actually said it's the biggest sport in America whereas others would say it's the biggest sport in the WORLD lol
Alchemistx4Aug 24, 2010 10:16 AM
Aug 24, 2010 10:13 AM

Mar 2008

Another citizen who sits around complaining about someone who has one of the most challenging jobs available, assuming he's entitled to everything in the world and will never do anything about it himself. Oh boy.
Aug 24, 2010 12:03 PM

Jun 2008
Obama doesn't have the experience to do anything. Wasn't that mentioned when the election was going on? Oh yeah it was, too bad people were only interested in having the first black (half) president.

Let's make an excuse for him. Hmmm oh yes, the most famous one: "whatever Obama can't solve, blame it on Bush". Yeah, that sounds right, because we know that Obama earned a Noble Piece prize after all...for...whatever unknown reason...

He's a celebrity after all. More than he is a president sadly.
Sep 2, 2010 9:03 PM

Dec 2009
KyuuAL said:

Yea. I really LOVE how people just flat out don't see that. Yet, I tend to wonder: perhaps we DO deserve a depression -- just to get a good smack on our heads. Of course, by saying that, I'm asking for my own grave.

Lol
Sep 27, 2010 6:08 PM

Apr 2010
Because every each is like; getting lame.
Sep 29, 2010 5:03 AM

Aug 2010
YuniYasha said:
The solution is to restart and go back to the beginning.

Escape from L.A.?
I think that would suck.
Sep 29, 2010 5:55 AM

Aug 2008
There are always a clashes of interests. There's no a single answer to "why does everything suck", even though you're talking just about the US (US isn't the world btw).

Our life is created by people and people only. The media, goverments, companies, are PEOPLE. If there's anything wrong, we (as a part of humanity) are to blame.

Now, "Media" wants money. Money is media usually comes from popularity, popularity comes from everyone else. Same with goverments, same with companies, same with all the things in the world.

Want to change the world - change yourself first. I bet it's not the first time you hear that.

Another thing is that people most of the time are trying to live in future.
A belief (a.k.a Hope) that it will be better in the future makes people to forget that we are actually living in the present (who would've guessed?). Therefore people are focus more about how the future should be rather than improving the "Now", which results in a fucked up future...

P.S. I don't really understand why people think Obama leaving the Iraq as an achievement. Bush lost the Iraq war even before it's started - Obama managed to lose the war that was already is lost. That's an achievement...
(before replying to this please first look at the big map and all political procceses and not just US-Iraq in that matter)
Sep 29, 2010 8:47 AM

Jun 2008
Esley said:
P.S. I don't really understand why people think Obama leaving the Iraq as an achievement. Bush lost the Iraq war even before it's started - Obama managed to lose the war that was already is lost. That's an achievement...
(before replying to this please first look at the big map and all political procceses and not just US-Iraq in that matter)

No one said Obama has "left" Iraq, combat operations have ended, but there are still troops in Iraq, in fact there are still tens of thousands of troops in Iraq.

Besides there are no "Winners" in Iraq everyone loses, the U.S army for wasting a shit load of money and human life, and Iraq is still chaotic with pretty much a civil war going on.

BTW, how would McCain had dealt with the situation, would the U.S be better???

I highly doubt it...
Sep 29, 2010 10:20 AM

Aug 2008
alexcampos said:
No one said Obama has "left" Iraq, combat operations have ended, but there are still troops in Iraq, in fact there are still tens of thousands of troops in Iraq.

Besides there are no "Winners" in Iraq everyone loses, the U.S army for wasting a shit load of money and human life, and Iraq is still chaotic with pretty much a civil war going on.

Iraq was too sensetive region to simply wage a war on it. Sunni, Shia, Kurds - Iraq has it all.
When attacking Iraq you can't hope for Team Deathmatch, it soon will turn out to a Free-For-All. Bush triggered that "FFA" by removing the only force that kept the dogs hiding - Saddam.
Iran, Syria, Al-Qaida have covertly joined that "FFA" too. US forces are unable to prevent Arabs from killing each other. That why I consider this war a failure.

Current Iraqi half-marionate goverment and its forces are too weak both politicaly and military to control Iraq. With US forces gone, Iran and Syria will only grow their support of Shia fighters in Iraq. How long will Iraqi goverment will manage to withstands it without active US support?

By leaving Obama risks to let Iraq fall into Islamist hands. Creating a country that will be filled with US hate, and actively supporting terrorism (anti-US/West one, not just Arabs killing Arabs anymore). Losing the control over the oil goes without saying.

A creation of another anti-west state, will shift the power balance in the Middle-East, much to the fears of pro-US Saudi Arabia, Jordan and etc. There's no greater fear for Islamic Monarches than Islamism and Islamic Theocracy. To save their asses, they might try to get on a better terms with the Islamists, and you know how they will do it... (anti-US policy if that wasn't clear)

Which results in US losing more "friends", and oil resources. We already see some of those procceses. Turkey for example. A good US friend. A NATO member! Now actively developing relations with Iran, and trying to get popular with Islamist, usually by bashing Israel (no balls to turn against US feeding hands yet), a country that they had exellent relations with, many military arms deals and military exercises.

Why Turkey is doing that? Well, the main reason are Iraqi Kurds. When Iraqi goverment will fall and the country will divide, Kurds might declare their Kurdistan (on Iraqi territory), with claims on much of Turkey's land as their own (which is actully true). Iranian assistance on putting down the Iraqi Kurds is essential for Turkey.

alexcampos said:
BTW, how would McCain had dealt with the situation, would the U.S be better???

I highly doubt it...

I'm not McCain, I don't know how he would've dealt with it. But I believe he would continue the Bush's way. Which is the realization that the situation is bad, very bad, and unlikely to improve any soon - but that there's still a lot of place where it can go worser (like I said above), so better keep that from happening and not pretending that it's not their concern like Obamas doing.

So basicly I'm saying that this is unlikely that McCain would help the situation anyhow - but he won't let it to get worser like Obama can.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.