Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 22, 2010 8:10 PM

Jan 2009
Romance is developing so quickly. I kinda don't like it. More tsuntsun bits for me, deredere so early is strange!
Jul 22, 2010 8:20 PM

Oct 2009
Osric said:
This episode took itself way too seriously. Actually, so did previous episodes, but I was able to give it the benefit of the doubt before. Now, however... sigh...

I think this show's problem is that it initially presented itself as a parody but then didn't live up to that. If it had, I have a feeling it would've been excellent; but unfortunately, it's gone and tried to have its cake and eat it, trying to add moments of OTT drama alongside all the comedy. Now, that's not to say that parodies can't have their more serious moments, but firstly they need to be sparse and secondly they need to be original. This show does neither; it has drama at least once an episode and it's all pretty cliché stuff. Now that would still be alright if instead of taking it seriously, the show made an active effort to satirise it; yet it doesn't. It wants us to care about its characters, but forgets to make them anything more than the stale tropes we see everywhere. I'm a firm believer in 'no new ideas under the sun', and I believe anime exhibits this trait perhaps more than any other medium in modern culture; normally I'm fine with a story I've heard before provided it's still a story well told. But Ookami-san's problem is that it dragged me out of this mindset at the beginning by telling me it was going to take the mickey out of all that unoriginality, only to later down the line forget that when the time comes for some proper satire.

All of which leads neatly into my next point: the narrator. Now, I like Arai Satomi. I still reckon she's perfect for this part. Her performance is top-notch. The trouble is, her part is terribly written. Others have already noted the fact that she tends to point out the obvious and talk over characters; I won't dwell on that aspect. Rather, I'm going focus on the parts where the narrator should be present because she could actually inject some enjoyability into the scene. Otsuu's past in this episode was a prime example. Now, I won't mince words: her past was awful. Not awful in the sense that it was tragic and must have been extremely difficult to live through (though I dare say it was), but awful in the sense that it really had no artistic redemption. It was tired, forced, done far too many times before, all those nasty words. For me, it was the absolute nadir of the episode. But you know what would have made it utterly fantastic? If the show had just realised this and mocked itself for it: enter the narrator. I can't imagine how funny it would've been to have all that hyperbolic drama given an overlay of bored, sarcastic Kuroko 'gently' informing the show that, sorry dears, this has been done far too many times before; really, what are you, a fairy tale? Sure, that would've killed the tension, but that assumes that we the audience were ever giving a shit in the first place. We weren't; I certainly wasn't. I wasn't from the point I realised I was watching another god-damned anime child about to be run over by a guy driving through a red light only to be saved by her conveniently-placed best friend. I wasn't moved; I was bored. If Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi had been bored with me, I'd have loved it for it; instead, it seemed to expect me to shed a tear. Well sorry, but this would be contrived if it were on FanFiction.net; even if it is an old Japanese fairy tale, couldn't you have chopped it up 'til it was unrecognisable like you did with the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare last week? I might've had fun if you'd shown a bit of originality...

Anyway. Overall, the impression I get from Ookami-san is that, rather than being a genuine parody, it's a big festival to celebrate all the creators' geekiness with an excuse at the beginning telling us, 'oh, it's all ironic really'. Trouble is, it soon becomes all too apparent how little time they gave over to indulging that excuse, instead opting to spend all their time revelling in their own otaku delights. They reference fairy tales from around the world without particularly parodying them as such; they include more deliberate anime allusions that I care to keep track of, and won't bother listing here. This is satire with a short attention span; if it doesn't pick up in weeks to come, it may actually end up going from one of my favourite anime of the season to one of the few anime I actually drop. Here's hoping it does improve soon.

Ok, rant over, you can all start paying attention again now.

Despite all that, this episode wasn't entirely horrible; there was enough good moments for me to give it a 2 rather than a 1. The character designs continue to be nice and pretty; loli-Otsuu was very cute. Yukime is an excellent character, even if she marks the second and more obvious Love Hina reference to grace this show (Haruka, much?); I look forward to seeing more of her. The Hansel and Gretel twincest was pure win, and one of the few places where the narrator's role was well-managed; am I the only one hoping we'll see more of this pair in episodes to come? Majo is possibly now my favourite character in the show ahead of Liszt - she does look pretty cute without her usual get-up, but I wouldn't have her any way other than in all her mad scientist glory, so I'm not too sad that we probably won't get to see her like that again any time soon.

Seems we're getting a new character next week, unless Momo-chan-senpai secretly refers to Majo or Alice or someone. If that's the case, weeeee, another initially interesting character to be ruined by taking too close a look at them... hopefully Alice rather than Majo, as Miss Soifon wasn't too interesting in the first place at least...

2/5. Don't make me drop you, Ookami-san.

Well said, sir.
Jul 22, 2010 9:03 PM

Nov 2009
ryoushi's reaction when otsuu fainted was like wtf? lol

pretty sad past for her
flipocrisyJul 22, 2010 9:06 PM
Jul 22, 2010 10:21 PM

Dec 2009
Why was Ryouko's maid outfit uglier than everyone else's?

The narrator was less irritating this time. She actually made me lol a few times.... Does this mean I'm cracking?
Jul 22, 2010 10:32 PM

Oct 2009
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE.

Sent with Mal Updater
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2010 10:50 PM

Jul 2007
Very decent episode. I really like how the romance is turning out. Hopefully it ends with them both together or something.

The flash back was totally unexpected. I thought it was very if not too dramatic imo.

Can't wait for next episode. If there is a serious plot with good romance in the end, then this series might get a high score from me.

Also....I would have to agree with some of the people. The narrator does get quite annoying. Yes it is something new and and different but it's actually something new / different that I would rather leave out. It does make you feel like you're at the movies with some annoying ass person shouting out the obvious.
Jul 22, 2010 11:13 PM

Jul 2009
Majo without her glasses and in a maid outfit was the highlight of the episode <3
ilikeyouevenmore said:
The narrator was less irritating this time. She actually made me lol a few times.... Does this mean I'm cracking?

I'm also feel the same thing about the narration on this episode. I think she okay at a certain times & get slightly annoying on another especially when she say things that really obvious in-front of our eyes.
Kagura89Jul 22, 2010 11:18 PM
Jul 23, 2010 12:26 AM

Mar 2008
Flashback was totally blindsiding. Something tells me he's still alive somewhere, I mean could they really kill him off like that? Another overall okay episode. Ryouko in the maid outfit wasn't what I thought it would be.
Jul 23, 2010 12:48 AM

Nov 2008
I like episodes like this one but a little action once in a while wouldn't hurt.

Also I liked the maid scene, it seems like Alice does not like that kind of stuff.
Jul 23, 2010 3:52 AM
Jul 2008
Didn't recognize Le Fay in the maid outfit. I thought she would have kept her rabbit hat and lab coat on.
Jul 23, 2010 4:31 AM

May 2009
Osric, very well said.

Throughout this episode I mainly thought I should have dropped it at the third. Well, I'll continue it, but the whole cast and plot seems badly written to me. The narrator could be great, not in the least because Arai is doing a great job, but the lines are boring.

What the hell is the truck driver doing? He's driving too fast to stop at the pedestrian crossing despite seeing pedestrians nearby with intention on crossing the street, he misses the red light and then honks as if to tell the girl he's going to kill her in a moment. He's not even trying to avoid her or do something to save her, no, he honks. Genius driver.

And Tarou looks strangely good in a maid uniform.

And on the edge of sanity I stumble and fall.
Jul 23, 2010 4:44 AM

Jan 2009
<Insert obligatory rage at the narrator here>
I'm getting tired of hearing that voice the first thing that happens every episode =3=

That's one hell of a hit from the batter anyway.
And that's one hell of a lighter Yukime-san had.
And that's some really derp reasoning Otsuu had.
And a pretty derp episode overall. >.>
And of course, way too much stupid narrator.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 23, 2010 5:57 AM

May 2008
Ryoushi looks like a girl in the maid uniform =3

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 23, 2010 8:29 AM

May 2009
oh shiiit when they were all in maid costume I had no idea who that hot blonde on the right was....first I thought hmm otogi bank member I didnt know yet? Was it the president crossdressing? No that can't be, hes already there crossdressing on the left...
Took me a while rofl but oh dayum
Jul 23, 2010 9:41 AM

Dec 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
One thing this anime does right it make the child forms of each character adorable.

This.

Also , the ending was really nice even if it had a lil bit of cliche' <3 .
Jul 23, 2010 11:30 AM

Sep 2009
This was a really simple episode. It's just..Otsuu being Morino's maid. Really, is there going to be a plot soon? I'm only watching now because the characters have good designs and are interesting enough for me to continue watching. I'm really not sure what direction this show wants to go in at this point...

The guys in maid outfits saved this episode from mediocrity.

Anime Blog Writer For: METANORN (Currently blogging: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Fractale, Tegami Bachi REVERSE)
Jul 23, 2010 12:43 PM

May 2010
lol cross-dressed maids xD

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
Jul 23, 2010 5:22 PM

Dec 2008
They failed epically at trying to give Otsuu a deep background. In my eyes, she's still a flat character -- mildly interesting, but still two-dimensional at best. Her whole history shown this episode felt like they jammed it down my throat. It was too contrived, cliche, and completely out-of-place within the episode.

Otherwise, it was pretty decent but nothing spectacular. I think Osric pretty much summed up my thoughts.
Jul 23, 2010 7:15 PM

Jan 2009
Aeterna said:
They failed epically at trying to give Otsuu a deep background. In my eyes, she's still a flat character
She might even have been more interesting before they brought up her background.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 23, 2010 7:56 PM
May 2009
Everyone in a maid outfit YAY!
Jul 23, 2010 8:48 PM

Dec 2008
Oosran said:
Aeterna said:
They failed epically at trying to give Otsuu a deep background. In my eyes, she's still a flat character
She might even have been more interesting before they brought up her background.

Probably. Not that she was introduced as an important character "worthy" of significant character development to begin with. As a result, trying to make her seem all deep and special by using a tragic history made it seem very forced. The writers took the whole thing way too seriously, so it all fell flat on its face. They should have just kept her as a weird - but fun - Maid Type character.
Jul 24, 2010 12:59 AM

Jun 2010
Touching episode!
too bad for otsuu
majolika looks good w/o her glasses so much!
Jul 24, 2010 2:46 AM
Mar 2010
another cute episode!!! but I ask me what is principal plot.... it seems this is common in current summer (look to shukufuku or amagami ss...) even so aaaawwwww so cute ookami-san XD Maid is always good idea, though it's no original!!!!
I think after introduction of all chara, we see real plot.... I hope....

next to 5th ep!!!
Jul 24, 2010 3:09 AM

Sep 2009
The girls in maid costumes were cute :)

Jul 24, 2010 4:47 AM

Apr 2009
ZetaZeta said:
They basically gave her a tragic past, introduced, and killed off a bro in 23 seconds.

Hear, hear. Though it was sad, it was also forced.

But like I thought, the narrator grew on me xP
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 24, 2010 6:12 AM

Mar 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
One thing this anime does right it make the child forms of each character adorable.

^
exactly my thoughts ^^

and
Aversa said:
Words can not describe the brilliance of Arai Satomi as the narrator, the roll suites her perfectly!

I really love this anime so far.. every character is just so likeable :)
Jul 24, 2010 1:36 PM

Aug 2009
Majo-chan in a Maid outfit = <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 !!
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 24, 2010 10:03 PM

May 2010
I had to re-watch that screen 3 times, just can't believe that Majo-chan was that cute! At first I thought a new char just appeared. The shape of her mouth also made me remember the Manami sisters.
Jul 24, 2010 11:13 PM

Oct 2008
Hansel & Gretel are school council presidents and secretary. xD I just found that kinda funny for some reason.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 25, 2010 12:50 AM

Jul 2008
i guess everybody needs a maid
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jul 25, 2010 4:45 AM

Nov 2008
I wonder if I can sue a show for being boring.

Jul 25, 2010 2:34 PM

Mar 2009
Great episode!!

Ryoushi's aunt is totally win!!

And Ryouko fan-girling int the bookstore is stellar!!

This show is fun, I'm appreciating the bg stories. They are a little cheesy, but still good.

And, Ringo is genius!! I love it when she smirks.

Looking forward to more.

Urahara Out!!
Jul 25, 2010 9:36 PM

Oct 2009
I don't know why people hate Arai Satomi so much.. I think her voice is excellent...

I loled when Ryoushi slammed the table and slammed the door xD.
Jul 26, 2010 5:39 AM

Jul 2010

3/5
zimnoJul 29, 2010 8:34 PM
Jul 26, 2010 8:49 AM

Sep 2009
zimno said:

3/5

nice pics haha!!!

anyways the episode is great!!
I'm learning to ignore the narrator who talked again after shutting up last episode...
well I would still miss her if she would be removed but she needs to talk less...

finally I was able to see Ryouko in a maid outfit

Plot is slowly going _______
in the first episode I think the anime had a plot now it's just fillers(I think so...)
but I like the episode, I get to enjoy the show without thinking, no complicated plot, loopholes backstory, etc.

deserves 5/5

and to those who does not like the anime and keep on criticizing it, just drop the anime and we would have a win win situation, you don't see a crappy anime and the anime has no negative comments(well less)

CLICK!!
Jul 26, 2010 12:49 PM

May 2010
eternalblade13 said:
and to those who does not like the anime and keep on criticizing it, just drop the anime and we would have a win win situation, you don't see a crappy anime and the anime has no negative comments(well less)

I sympathise with what you're saying, I really do. I remember thinking the same thing on many an occasion. But for my part, in this case, I haven't dropped yet because I remember watching the first episode and, well, liking it. It looked like a fun little ride even if it didn't smack of tremendous originality. And hey, it had Kuroko narrating it; after a little initial shock, I decided I quite liked that. But after a good start, future episodes, and particularly this episode, frankly disappointed. It could just be a dip at the beginning before the show gets good in my eyes again; that's what I'm hoping for. But in the mean time I feel at rights to express my disappointment and, as a courtesy, explain why I'm disappointed.
Jul 26, 2010 8:40 PM
Jul 2010
It's cute. That's all I can really say about it. Nothing special. Certainly not living up to the quality of humor that was shown in the first episode, but we'll see where it's going.

It's falling into a lot of the same traps that most anime comedies get into, and frankly, it has always confused me. Why do they always seem to get sentimental at inappropriate times? It just feels like the entire show grinds to a halt just so we can develop the stories of characters we're not likely to care anything about.

With that said, I still do enjoy it. But then again, I think that might be partially because I have a weakness for tough girls with a soft interior. That sort of story always grabs my interest.
Jul 27, 2010 6:24 AM

Jan 2009
Majo is goddamn cute
Jul 27, 2010 10:11 PM

Nov 2006
Boring. Don't care about Otsuu.
Jul 28, 2010 8:34 AM

Jun 2009
I'm starting to get bored with the narrator, but the narrator's script was totally funny.

*Maid Latte
"Boiled hotdog and 2 Eggs" haha

I like how Urashima uses his personality in a comedic way, using his maid service by giving a bouquets
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 3, 2010 5:32 AM
Jun 2008
Nice episde ^^
Ookami-san's double honorific is really weird ~~~
Aug 7, 2010 7:32 AM

Jan 2010
Anitnelav said:
Hansel & Gretel are school council presidents and secretary. xD I just found that kinda funny for some reason.

They kind of creeped me out. XP

Anyways, the episode was all right. Not as funny as previous ones, but still kind of endearing.
Aug 8, 2010 8:55 AM

Sep 2009
Osric said:
eternalblade13 said:

I sympathise with what you're saying, I really do. I remember thinking the same thing on many an occasion. But for my part, in this case, I haven't dropped yet because I remember watching the first episode and, well, liking it. It looked like a fun little ride even if it didn't smack of tremendous originality. And hey, it had Kuroko narrating it; after a little initial shock, I decided I quite liked that. But after a good start, future episodes, and particularly this episode, frankly disappointed. It could just be a dip at the beginning before the show gets good in my eyes again; that's what I'm hoping for. But in the mean time I feel at rights to express my disappointment and, as a courtesy, explain why I'm disappointed.

well truth is that 'm getting a little bored with this anime too, maybe because I expected more from it....
but I still like it...

CLICK!!
Aug 8, 2010 11:10 AM

May 2010
I really enjoyed this episode. It actually brought me to tears.
Aug 12, 2010 9:29 AM

Oct 2009
Lol, everybody in a maid outfit xD
Aug 12, 2010 2:23 PM

Jun 2008
ReaperEXE said:
tl;dr ~> D'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwww.
The episode was alright, but what direction exactly is this show going? Is there some kind of plot, or does it remain as loose bits of comedy and DEEP drama (LOL)?

I don't expect a specific story line or a major plot from this anime. It doesn't look it will have such a thing. Probably all the episodes are gonna be consumed by small events happening.

An kind of getting used of the whole silliness, the narrator way of telling events and the way of this show. I didn't like much the first 2 episodes but i find this last episodes to be better.

mel said:
lol.. Hansel and Gretel

Hahaha yeah!

BTW the ED song is really likable. Sounds a little bit like a child song but it's so nice and cute.
Aug 19, 2010 12:00 AM

Jan 2010
Ookami as a maid = win <3
Aug 25, 2010 12:19 AM

Aug 2009
cute episode ;3
Oct 1, 2010 6:08 PM

Mar 2010
maids are awesome

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 23, 2010 7:25 AM

Apr 2010
I am not sure why but I am enjoying this series. I find the silent attraction between Ryouko and Ryoushi to be very cute, done much better than similar relationships between main characters (Mayoi Neko Overrun comes to mind) I enjoy how Ryoushi is a complete badass on the inside, and I am glad that they recognized this in the scene between Yukime, Ringo, and Ryouko.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Light novel ending slight summary.

Loxe - Jun 20, 2016

10 by CitrusBreeze »»
Feb 18, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MorningGlory - Sep 15, 2010

269 by waalex11 »»
Sep 13, 2023 3:36 PM

Poll: » Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Aug 18, 2010

183 by epr0x »»
Aug 5, 2023 9:33 PM

Poll: » Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

game8910 - Aug 11, 2010

159 by epr0x »»
Aug 3, 2023 9:59 PM

Poll: » Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 28, 2010

152 by epr0x »»
Jul 29, 2023 9:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.