Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 13, 2010 10:52 AM

Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
An interesting episode. I'm pretty sure all of us knew Mario was going to fall in love with Setsuko (or vise versa), but her "betrayal" wasn't nearly as a bad as I expected. A miai/arranged marriage is one thing, but I thought she would be fucking the landlord to pay her rent or something. That seems to merit a violent outburst much more.

Seriously though, they're all risking to put themselves in prison by trying to break Mario out. I mean, he's gone and done it now. Mario fucked up. He should man up and face the consequences. Everyone else is just practicing the cliched shonen mindset, "We can't leave our buddies behind!"

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, at least. I foresee failure.
Jul 13, 2010 1:45 PM

Feb 2008
They're not trying to "break" him out, if they were, they would've done what Turtle was suggesting, pretty much beating up cops and getting him out.
I have a feeling they're going to get him out in a more reasonable, and probably a legal way, don't know how that will work though.
Jul 13, 2010 7:18 PM
Mar 2009
Great episode. Looks like the action is back!
Jul 13, 2010 7:19 PM

Jan 2010
I don't really like Setsuko with Mario. It reminds me too much of Anchan.

yaHzee said:
They're not trying to "break" him out, if they were, they would've done what Turtle was suggesting, pretty much beating up cops and getting him out.
I have a feeling they're going to get him out in a more reasonable, and probably a legal way, don't know how that will work though.

I agree. The second half of the show, I heard, is suppose to be more 'smart' and 'mature', so I'm guessing Uncovered is going to come up with some crazy plan. Also, if that man that slammed down Mario's head is the new asshole, I'm gonna be pissed. I don't like him.
Jul 14, 2010 1:24 AM

Dec 2009
This show is really going downfall .. they should have stopped after humiliating Sasaki at the elections , that was a good ending.

Now we get Mario drama which is extremely annoying since he started acting like Sakuragi and acts all "cool" and worthless . Honestly ,why is Setsuko the only woman in this show ? And what's his boss's problem ? All people gotta do to get a free drink is to yell a little ? Also , didn't the police at least ask the guy : " Well he beat you like that , it's a crime , but what reason could he have for that ?" And the last thing , Is the old man from the last part Ishihara's father or something ? They do look alike and their actions aren't too different...
Jul 14, 2010 5:39 AM

Nov 2007
SUBS ARE OUT FOR THE GRAB HERE!

Mario is a stupid ass, if you asked me, other than Heitai, no one actually achieved anything thus far. (getting out of prison was their only achievement so far)

:/
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 14, 2010 6:32 AM

Oct 2007
such a boring episode ...

and i happen to have checked the manga, it's just lame and boring -.-
probably the crap that BioMeat or Battle Royal were are still better than this >_>

Am dropping this shit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2010 7:07 AM

Jan 2008
So many black&white characters that it makes me puke...

I agree. The second half of the show, I heard, is suppose to be more 'smart' and 'mature', so I'm guessing Uncovered is going to come up with some crazy plan. Also, if that man that slammed down Mario's head is the new asshole, I'm gonna be pissed. I don't like him.

Waiting for smart & mature part. If it ever appears (apart from pseudo-mature plot).

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jul 14, 2010 8:45 AM

Feb 2010
DrRoboto said:
An interesting episode. I'm pretty sure all of us knew Mario was going to fall in love with Setsuko (or vise versa)

Yeah, no surprise there. Although now it seems Mario has to go through the fire again, to keep Setsuko, if he indeed can get to her (she's getting married after all).

But I agree with Spoon's idea: Hetai should just steal a tank and blast Mario out of there. Much easier than Baremoto's plans. Not so subtle though.
Jul 14, 2010 9:04 AM

Jun 2010
See the first 10 minutes lower your guard, you start thinking oh well its become a romance or something, then you notice the engagement and wonder maybe the fiancee is the next bad guy and then they team up to save Setsuko, but then Mario gets in a fight with Ozu (Tatami Galaxy reference), whops him but then gets snitched on. Then its pretty much a prison break movie plot setup, and of course gotta have the cruel warden. Still its okay I guess.
Jul 14, 2010 9:52 AM

Jan 2010
What the hell!? I was pissed while watching this episode is this anime trying to make japan look stupid or something? I mean seriously the guy who said mario assulted him shouldn't have gotten away with it so easily god.... this anime makes me very angry lol.
Jul 14, 2010 10:04 AM

Dec 2008
nicoliolipoli said:
yaHzee said:

Smart and mature? Sure they're older now, but as far as I'm concerned, it's been pretty much the same. Maybe they'll change it up.

As for breaking him out, reasonable, maybe, but there's no way they're going to find a legal way to prevent Mario from getting indicted. Like Turtle said, it's basically set up so that he will get indicted, and after that happens, kiss all legality goodbye.
Jul 14, 2010 10:38 AM

Dec 2007
Akitso said:
What the hell!? I was pissed while watching this episode is this anime trying to make japan look stupid or something? I mean seriously the guy who said mario assulted him shouldn't have gotten away with it so easily god.... this anime makes me very angry lol.

I liked this episode very much. I have no idea what you have against japan
Jul 14, 2010 10:50 AM

Jul 2009
You can't claim the cops action at the end wrong. All of the wrong doings of Mario on the documents are correct in a sense that it did occur, and cops are trained to not give you the benefit of the doubt; thus, him slamming Mario's head on the desk. To compare this guy to that jailguard who I have forgotten his name is absurd because that guy did it out of reasoning.

I think the main theme of this show is 'justice' and there is no justice if he is confined in jail for 7 years. There is no consequences to pay when no wrong act to begin with.

As for the tank option, that's stupid. You are a fugitive and don't want to be Japan's most wanted. A lowly prison escapee can hide low but if a person is to use a country's weapon for his own benefit, he would get executed on the spot, so forget about jail time.
Jul 14, 2010 11:03 AM

Jan 2010
DrRoboto said:
nicoliolipoli said:
yaHzee said:

Smart and mature? Sure they're older now, but as far as I'm concerned, it's been pretty much the same. Maybe they'll change it up.

The quotations around those two words were to show that I didn't say them.. just something I heard.
Jul 14, 2010 11:14 AM

Jun 2007
I knocked a point off my score for Sakuragi first stupidly giving away the evidence his deceased friend gave him to one of the two who pushed his friend to his death and, later, even more stupidly walking at people with rifles, whilst holding a knife. But the lead-up to Sakuragi's death and his actions just before weren't bad enough to ruin the show. It would've been better if the breakout had failed and he'd died without the stupidity, but what's done is done.

I like the fact that, after the first half of the series focused on Sakuragi unifying/inspiring the six during awful times, the last half of the series is going to be dedicated to each character's personal story getting resolved. I didn't see where the series had to go following Sakuragi's death, with the revenge bit being wrapped up surprisingly quickly, but I like each character getting their own resolution mini-arc much better than seeming some dragged out perverted-rapist drama.

What's kind of bugging me about the start of this final, mini-arc bit is that Joe's story wasn't taken care of first. Back near the start of the series, he was so eager to save his sister that he did a runner from prison... only to fail and let her fall into the hands of a creepy rapist-person. So, after FINALLY getting his freedom, I have to question why his first instinct was to get a singing career when, for all he knows, he's leaving his sister in a basement to be raped daily until the day he saves her.

The only other issue I have lies with Setsuko and Mario's relationship. Much like Sakuragi's death, it was predictable that Mario, Sakuragi's successor, would end up with her, but their feelings for each other have been made to feel somewhat fake by the fact that there was NO sexual tension between the two, or even suggestive eye contact... or anything whatsoever before Sakuragi went out of the drama to suggest they'd be a good match for each other. And with Mario having transformed into Sakuragi-lite, it appears that Setsuki's only interested in Mario because of how much he resembles her former love. If Madhouse had inserted just ONE intimate scene between the two, it would've been different, but they didn't.

All of you guys constantly bitching are a joke, by the way - I stand by that. Why on Earth do people keep watching a series for 15 weeks, only to complain about it being cheesy, boring, or some other rubbish in every episode single bloody discussion thread? I swear to God I have more IQ points than most users on this website, combined. Use common sense and stop being irritating tits, for the love of Allah, if not for the love of me.

No, Rainbow isn't perfect, but it's bloody good for what it is - a manly drama, with a ton of epic moments that get accompanied by a guitar track. The characterization could have been more detailed (there's still time at character-focused the business end, and around half of the flashbacks haven't been shown yet), the Sakuragi lovefest could have been less lovey, and some stupidity could have been left out, but it's nowhere near as bad as some of you elitist bellends make it sound. 3/10? Fuck off, and go watch DearS, Nadia: The Movie, Saikano, the last half of TTGL, etc etc.
Jul 14, 2010 11:16 AM

Nov 2009
^^The tank option was a joke by baka-turtle. =P

You make a good point, but the 'justice' in this show is derived as a from of correcting 'injustices' being done to them. You should look at it as the injustice is sentencing Mario, and the justice would be his friends saving him from his fate.

As far as whoever said this show is black and white, who are the good guys and who are the bad guys? The fugitives getting somebody out of jail? The justice department who is just doing there job? If i didn't know mario's reasons i would think of him as a criminal as well.

Getting a new anchan is pretty lame i admit, but it sort of makes sense. Won't make a judgment on this new arc yet.
Jul 14, 2010 11:17 AM

Aug 2008
Kurogashi said:
You can't claim the cops action at the end wrong. All of the wrong doings of Mario on the documents are correct in a sense that it did occur, and cops are trained to not give you the benefit of the doubt; thus, him slamming Mario's head on the desk. To compare this guy to that jailguard who I have forgotten his name is absurd because that guy did it out of reasoning.

I think the main theme of this show is 'justice' and there is no justice if he is confined in jail for 7 years. There is no consequences to pay when no wrong act to begin with.

And I guess the world is wrong with that 'innocent until proven guilty thing,' huh? This is why the show fails. Mario did do wrong. Whether or not he has mitigating circumstances is up for a court to decide. It is not some two-bit prosecutor's place to slam anyone's head against a desk. He is comparable to the guard because his actions are grossly out of context in order to melodramtize the show and make characters seem more good/evil than they should be.

Only a child would see it otherwise.
Jul 14, 2010 11:59 AM

Jun 2010
Oh yea I forgot about Joe's sister....

Well that prosecutor has a ways to go to reach Ishihara's level, but still he left a presence on us, or else we wouldnt be discussing him. Still it would be nice if their lifes didnt always have to be portrayed behind the setting of either jail or conniving law officials, id expected at this point they individually already have more depth and we'd see more into their own personal lifes, but no, its not a story unless one of them is in jail and they have to band together to rescue them. But thats just me though, I wouldve like to have seen Soldiers personal struggles and his daily training or Turtles black market activities.
Jul 14, 2010 2:40 PM

May 2008
I want some serious action like when this series started.~ Still I think this was a good episode, maybe calmly setting up the next arc and hopefully it'll be just as enjoyable as the previous was. I don't wanna bury this series yet~
Jul 15, 2010 1:14 AM

Mar 2009
I thought this was awesome. Don't know why some people hate it.
Jul 15, 2010 8:29 AM

Aug 2007
noteDhero said:
Kurogashi said:

And I guess the world is wrong with that 'innocent until proven guilty thing,' huh? This is why the show fails. Mario did do wrong. Whether or not he has mitigating circumstances is up for a court to decide. It is not some two-bit prosecutor's place to slam anyone's head against a desk. He is comparable to the guard because his actions are grossly out of context in order to melodramtize the show and make characters seem more good/evil than they should be.

Only a child would see it otherwise.

Yes, just what I was about to say, but noteDhero beat me to it... You can't just beat the crap out of a guy for not paying for his drink. He may have been a dick, but Mario can't flaunt his strength everywhere, which is basically what he's been doing the entire show. But because he "fights for justice" it is seen as okay and, well... justifiable. He had every right to be arrested.

As for the exaggerated prosecutor, the show IS very black and white. It is completely obvious who they want you to believe are the good guys, which are the fugitives who were "wrongly sent to prison". If they had actually committed a "real" crime and not some Injustice They Couldn't Let Go, then this would be a different story. All the bad guys are any ugly characters or people who try to get in Mario and the others' ways. Pretty clear cut and cliched.
Jul 15, 2010 9:59 AM

Oct 2009
THEY SHOULD STOP BUTCHERING THIS ANIME LIKE THAT JUST MAKE THIS CRAP SEASON TWO
so the original plot wont be shit
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Jul 15, 2010 12:34 PM

Jan 2010
Kanade-chan said:
Akitso said:

did you even read my post? I said this anime is making japan's past look dumb lol. I mean seriously look how easily Mario went to prison. I'm pretty sure japan wasnt like that back than and I dont think people would get away with fraud so easily.
AkitsoJul 15, 2010 12:45 PM
Jul 15, 2010 1:20 PM

Aug 2007
Akitso said:
Kanade-chan said:
Akitso said:

did you even read my post? I said this anime is making japan's past look dumb lol. I mean seriously look how easily Mario went to prison. I'm pretty sure japan wasnt like that back than and I dont think people would get away with fraud so easily.

Mario went to prison because he beat up a guy for no other reason than because he was angry. It wasn't fraud at all and has nothing to do with Japan.
Jul 15, 2010 2:54 PM

Apr 2009
i'm getting excited again =)

the show feels different without the Gore and blood tho :)

lets hope the next arc will be good one
Jul 15, 2010 3:05 PM

Apr 2009
well lets hope Mario wont die in this arc =\
Jul 15, 2010 4:06 PM

Jun 2009
Man I'm pissed. Even if that douche was voiced by Hiroyuki, he's still a big douche. He assults first then brings the cops? Wtf is wrong with the world.
I do like how it still accurately describes the corruptions of the time period, but it's turning into a drama. Leave that genre to the actual drama shows please.
But Setsuko <3, keep going with that though. In fact, I might be still watching because of her.
Sprite_CokeJul 15, 2010 4:31 PM
Jul 15, 2010 11:21 PM
Jul 2008
So a new chapter begins. Fine. Could have ended before, but fine.
I'm just sad that these characters are so much clichéd it's unbelievable.
Jul 16, 2010 9:26 AM

Jan 2010
bwahahachick said:
Akitso said:
Kanade-chan said:
Akitso said:

Mario went to prison because he beat up a guy for no other reason than because he was angry. It wasn't fraud at all and has nothing to do with Japan.

thats not what im talking about the other guy got away without paying,broke glass,push the bartender, and punched mario twice. thats messed up.
Jul 16, 2010 6:27 PM

Mar 2010
first problem get out of prison second the marraige, things have escalated

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 17, 2010 2:56 AM

Feb 2009
No, it's because of shit like that asshole that the country hasn't changed, modafuking pricks in suit.

Amazing episode, this series is so good it amazes me every episode.
Jul 17, 2010 6:02 AM

Apr 2008
Meri said:

Would appreciate if you list down how each of the characters "are so much clichéd it's unbelievable", preferably with a few examples of such smiliar charcters from other anime shows.
Jul 17, 2010 12:32 PM

Aug 2007
Akitso said:
bwahahachick said:
Akitso said:
Kanade-chan said:
Akitso said:

thats not what im talking about the other guy got away without paying,broke glass,push the bartender, and punched mario twice. thats messed up.

Shit sucks. A normal and respectable bar would have called the cops or thrown him out. You can't control douchebags like that with your fist or you'll be charged with assault JUST like Mario was. It doesn't work that way.
Jul 17, 2010 12:42 PM

Aug 2008
leongsh said:
Meri said:

Would appreciate if you list down how each of the characters "are so much clichéd it's unbelievable", preferably with a few examples of such smiliar charcters from other anime shows.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlegymp0shn
Jul 17, 2010 6:00 PM

Apr 2008

That's as good as saying that nearly every show is terribly clichéd. If we're using the number of tropes referenced at TV tropes for each show, if Rainbow is "so much clichéd it's unbelievable", that makes a show like say, Paradise Kiss, with a much longer trope list (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ParadiseKiss) to be unfathomably clichéd to be utterly unbelievable. Let's not even look at the trope list for an exceptional anime like Monster which has an even longer trope list (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Monster).
leongshJul 17, 2010 6:14 PM
Jul 17, 2010 7:04 PM

Aug 2008
There's a difference between being cliched and having tropes, which are virtually inescapable. When a show is as melodramatized and one-dimensional as Rainbow, it becomes a fault and gets the moniker of cliched, trite, hackneyed, banal, etc.
Jul 17, 2010 11:04 PM

Apr 2008
noteDhero said:
There's a difference between being cliched and having tropes, which are virtually inescapable. When a show is as melodramatized and one-dimensional as Rainbow, it becomes a fault and gets the moniker of cliched, trite, hackneyed, banal, etc.

Since there's a difference being clichéd and having tropes, don't reference an anime show's page on TV tropes as a response to what about the show is "so much clichéd it's unbelievable".
Jul 18, 2010 2:00 AM
Jun 2008
not the clichéd matter again
(face palm)
anyway,Very nice episode.I wonder what sort of plan they will bring ^^
MorningGloryJul 18, 2010 2:06 AM
Jul 18, 2010 8:20 AM

Aug 2008
leongsh said:
noteDhero said:
There's a difference between being cliched and having tropes, which are virtually inescapable. When a show is as melodramatized and o-dimensional as Rainbow, it becomes a fault and gets the moniker of cliched, trite, hackneyed, banal, etc.

Since there's a difference being clichéd and having tropes, don't reference an anime show's page on TV tropes as a response to what about the show is "so much clichéd it's unbelievable".

You asked for a list of reasons why the characters/shows are cliched. I did that for you. Since you seem to lack understanding, I'll say it again: when tropes are applied one-dimensionally and melodramatically, the show becomes cliched. Rainbow is cliched, so look at the tropes, and there you shall have a list of the cliches that are applied with such a lack of depth that it is unbelievable.
Jul 18, 2010 8:59 AM
Jan 2009
I was anxious about ep 15, didn't like the preview at all since I don't think a romance subplot with Setsuko would have really fitted into Rainbow. But it turned out to be different and interesting as always.

As for this stupid clichéd discussion, I totally agree with leongsh, there's a huge difference between bad clichés and tropes that apply, which every series has.

It's funny how people always have to nitpick. Don't like, don't watch, simple as that. The quality (OST, animation, plot) of the Rainbow anime is certainly at least better than a bunch of others that don't get criticized half as much. But haters gonna hate, I guess.
Jul 18, 2010 3:06 PM

Jan 2010
bwahahachick said:
Akitso said:
bwahahachick said:
Akitso said:
Kanade-chan said:
Akitso said:

Shit sucks. A normal and respectable bar would have called the cops or thrown him out. You can't control douchebags like that with your fist or you'll be charged with assault JUST like Mario was. It doesn't work that way.

I know that but still he should still be punished
Jul 20, 2010 10:05 PM

Jan 2010
This could have wrapped up very nicely...if they ended it at episode 14. But oh no, now we're getting Sakuragi Jr. going to jail again because he's a humongous idiot. I still have this scored as a 9, but honestly, this anime is starting to piss me off. I've heard a lot of people claim the 2nd half is so much better, but it just feels way less intense and way more annoying.
Jul 21, 2010 1:14 PM
Dec 2009
The best part was seeing Baremoto's dad with the chief..

Jul 21, 2010 2:22 PM

Feb 2009
Mario was really stupid for actually fighting and inflicting injury's like that.
He should've thought twice about it, cause he only puts his friends and himself in deep shit.
Jul 22, 2010 5:28 PM

Nov 2007
Guys, I really can't do this anymore. Dropped this shit.
Jul 22, 2010 11:33 PM

Feb 2010
I liked this episode. Looks like another of Baremoto's plans is about to begin :D
That prosecutor or whoever Mario was speaking to at the end of the episode is serious business though.
Jul 26, 2010 8:10 AM

May 2008
Ah jesus Dx Wtf Mario. I mean, technically that guy hit him first, TWICE, even if Mario told him to do it, he still took the offer and did it anyways. So THAT fucker should be sent away instead >:/ What is wrong with the legal system here?

Jul 29, 2010 9:25 AM

Dec 2008
Mario, you hotheaded idiot!! And the rest of those guys really are stupid if they plan to break him out. Scam, I hope you come up with a legal route for his release. I should have known this show was going to take a downward turn after the death of An-chan. I miss him.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

hikky - Jun 15, 2010

128 by phantom346 »»
Apr 28, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 8, 2010

73 by phantom346 »»
Apr 28, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - May 25, 2010

105 by phantom346 »»
Apr 27, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 18, 2010

88 by phantom346 »»
Apr 27, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jakeki - May 11, 2010

132 by phantom346 »»
Apr 24, 9:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.