Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 3, 2010 8:07 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I only saw the RAW, but I can still say that I prefer the old character designs.
Jul 3, 2010 8:17 AM

Dec 2007
Same. The design is strange...
Jul 4, 2010 6:05 AM
Dec 2008
Well I think the character design is fine
Jul 4, 2010 7:31 AM

Dec 2007
The activity at the end was so funny ^^
Jul 5, 2010 9:01 AM

Jul 2008
The episode count should be changed. A second OVA was announced for December.
Jul 5, 2010 10:14 AM
Sep 2007
GarLogan78 said:

Changed the entry to currently airing. Leaving the episode count as unknown for now.
Jul 6, 2010 1:22 AM

Sep 2008
I actually really enjoyed the character designs. Sure Kure-nai might not be the brightest story in the anime shed, but the colors were great.

If they were trying to get more people into the series, I think they would be successful with beautiful ladies kicking ass in bikinis and showing that there is great comedy in the end. Murasaki is such a doll, a totally lovable spaz.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2010 1:41 AM

Nov 2007
I'm so glad to see Yamato Yamamoto's character designs animated <3. Nothing special in the plot department but it was a fun watch. Must continue with the manga now.

GarLogan78 said:
Ohhh, ohhhh, that's great news! So now Kure-nai is on random ova release format like Denpateki no Kanojo. I'm couldn't be happier with Brains Base right now. No wait, all that's left is for them to revise Jun's design in DenpaKano to be closer to the novel, and have the next Kure-nai ova have some plot from the later novels. Do it!
Jul 6, 2010 1:51 AM

Jul 2008
I still prefer the older character designs, but these new ones aren't ugly or anything. The episode was funny, but I forgot like half of the characters XD
Jul 6, 2010 2:34 AM

Aug 2008
Well that was different to the TV series. I think the TV series was better written and added a layer to Murakoshi's personality that this OVA never had. She's really only a kid in this.

That isn't to say it wasn't still fun though. Once I got over the fact it was different, it was certainly enjoyable and I probably would have enjoyed it more had I not seen the TV series.
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Jul 6, 2010 2:54 AM

Dec 2007
It's been so long I can't even remember any of the characters other than Murasaki. Them changing the character design made it an even worse view experience for me.
Jul 6, 2010 3:14 AM

Aug 2007
I didn't like the manga the first time I tried it, and I still don't like it.

I loved Brain Base's TV adaption, but the manga it just so generic and bland to me; it just doesn't have any charm and it shows in this OVA. Its just another forgettable series full of fan-service and some fighting. I still think the manga designs are ugly and unappealing; should of stuck with Kumi Ishii.

Then again, this OVA obviously has no connection with the TV series and I don't see it as apart of its continuity, just the manga/novels animated.

If you loved the TV series, you probably won't like this very much. At least I didn't at all.
Jul 6, 2010 4:01 AM

Jun 2009
I thought I was watching nabari no ou -.-".
new design really bad. I prefer old design.
Jul 6, 2010 4:26 AM

Apr 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
If they were trying to get more people into the series, I think they would be successful with beautiful ladies kicking ass in bikinis and showing that there is great comedy in the end.
That, I disagree. There are already too many of such shows. The TV series managed to be enjoyable without those elements, introducing those is unnecessary.

peacecraft said:
Then again, this OVA obviously has no connection with the TV series and I don't see it as apart of its continuity, just the manga/novels animated.

If you loved the TV series, you probably won't like this very much. At least I didn't at all.
True that.
I hope 1 OVA is too early to really give a proper review; hope it gets better.
NilviusJul 6, 2010 4:29 AM
Jul 6, 2010 5:09 AM

May 2009
Wow, it sure was bad compared to the TV series. It looks like just another dumb story that builds on the fanservice.
Jul 6, 2010 5:32 AM

Aug 2007
I don't get the hate for the character designs at all. The TV show was really bad. I'm glad they changed it. As for the episode itself, I didn't really enjoy it. It really felt like a fanservice ep. I hope the next episode will be a lot better then this and get to some good character development.
Jul 6, 2010 7:27 AM

Jun 2008
Character designs weren't that bad, they were just nothing in comparison to the original anime deigns. I miss Murasaki's hair. ;_;

First short gets 6/10, second 7/10, third gets a 10/10 for all the Murasaki wonderfulness, so overall 8/10 so far. Diary really saved this for me.

Didn't really have much appeal for the anime-only fans, with the lack of any explanation as to why Lin is now Murasaki's bodyguard or who the blonde girl was..I liked that they kept the original voice cast, though. Also, the lack of explanation for anything made me want to read the manga,so I suppose it's achieved something.
Really could've done without the fanservice. :/
SmochiJul 6, 2010 7:31 AM
Jul 6, 2010 7:34 AM

Nov 2007
I didn't enjoy the "plot" that much as well. People who have seen the series know that this is not the Kure-nai they watched and loved. It only revolves around some animated short stories including a "must" pool story (why?).

I'm not fond of the character desing either. The one of the series had something nostalgic about it.
Jul 6, 2010 8:16 AM

May 2007
Smochi said:
Character designs weren't that bad, they were just nothing in comparison to the original anime deigns. I miss Murasaki's hair. ;_;

First short gets 6/10, second 7/10, third gets a 10/10 for all the Murasaki wonderfulness, so overall 8/10 so far. Diary really saved this for me.
Agreed with everything said.
Jul 6, 2010 8:59 AM

Nov 2007
5camp said:
Well that was different to the TV series. I think the TV series was better written and added a layer to Murakoshi's personality that this OVA never had. She's really only a kid in this.

Eiko said:
I didn't enjoy the "plot" that much as well. People who have seen the series know that this is not the Kure-nai they watched and loved. It only revolves around some animated short stories including a "must" pool story (why?).

I'm not fond of the character desing either. The one of the series had something nostalgic about it.

Well, all those complaining about lack of depth of the story compared to the tv series should just take this ova as a cooldown after all the crap Murasaki had to go through previously. This is pretty much showing her enjoy her newfound freedom and a chance for her to act her age. She's still got her inner maturity but it's not like she needs it right now. Give her a break. Anyway, the second ova seems to continue where the first part left off with the Akuu Company, which means more Kirihiko Kirishima~

Smochi said:
Didn't really have much appeal for the anime-only fans, with the lack of any explanation as to why Lin is now Murasaki's bodyguard or who the blonde girl was..I liked that they kept the original voice cast, though. Also, the lack of explanation for anything made me want to read the manga,so I suppose it's achieved something.
Dunno about the novels, but the core details and events presented in the anime weren't that different that it would cause any form of discontinuity. The reason Lin is now Murasaki's bodyguard is because she was assigned to her by the Kuhouin. She was only against them initially because her orders were to retrieve Murasaki in the tv series but after that she has no reason to be against them. The blonde girl is Kirihiko Kirishima, who is rather knife-crazy, and the second ova would probably delve more into her since she seems to be it's focus. Can't say much since I'm only a the beginning of her introduction.

As for character designs, to each their own. Personally I like the tv series designs but I like these more, because Yamato Yamamoto is one of my favourite artists. Well, they're still not as good as the manga but I'll take what I get.

peacecraft said:
I still think the manga designs are ugly and unappealing; should of stuck with Kumi Ishii.
Doesn't change anything but just fyi Kumi Ishii is still the character designer for the OVA, just changed his/her style to be closer to the novel/manga design you detest so much. There's still a bit of the tv series style in there though. Imo the ova designs are a semi-hyrid between the original and Kumi Ishii's own style.
KantarouJul 6, 2010 9:30 AM
Jul 6, 2010 3:18 PM
Dec 2007
The third part was really great, and it was a kinda cool OVA overall, despite the obvious drop in animation quality and average backgrounds/character designs compared to the first series. Felt really slice-of-life with few developments and less focused than the TV series, but I somewhat enjoyed this OVA.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 6, 2010 4:57 PM

Jun 2008
well i enjoyed the OVA, despite what everyone else seems to think, i thought it was fun and entertaining, to each his own i guess.
Jul 6, 2010 6:14 PM

Jan 2010
Hmms, I didn't really like it at all.
Jul 6, 2010 7:10 PM
Dec 2008
I prefer these character designs than the tv version.
Jul 6, 2010 7:19 PM

Jul 2008

Where's Inuzuka?
Jul 6, 2010 8:28 PM
Oct 2007
Complete shit, total waste of time
Jul 6, 2010 8:43 PM
Dec 2008
hankgathers said:

Where's Inuzuka?

Prolly on a job Benika gave her.
Jul 6, 2010 8:59 PM

May 2009
It was nice to get reacquainted with most of the main cast of Kurenai. I also prefer the character designs from the TV series, but the "new" ones are fine too. Looking forward to the next installment.
Jul 6, 2010 9:08 PM
Nov 2009
I LOVE KURENAI IWANT MORE!!!!
Jul 6, 2010 11:45 PM

Jun 2008
Not bad but I missed Benika and yayoi. Seeing the chick who was so brutal in the anime cracking jokes and taking pictures of Murasaki was pretty funny.
Jul 7, 2010 1:31 AM

Sep 2008
I loved the old murasaki since her hair was the same as her name, :(
Jul 7, 2010 2:30 AM

Apr 2008
I don't really care one way or another about the character designs, but I do echo the other negative sentiments. Admittedly, my memories of Kurenai are poor enough to still not remember most of the characters after watching this, but it just doesn't really share any of the feel the series had. None of the plot or motivation that might have appealed in the original is present. It's not terrible, just might as well not be Kurenai. I didn't enjoy it much.
Jul 7, 2010 8:00 AM
Jan 2008
Even though the anime followed the manga/novel's story closely, they did some changes.

For instance, Lin was a psycho in the anime hired by Murasaki' older brother while in the manga, she works as the bodyguard of Murasaki's father.

In the manga, the one who beat up shinkurou was a muscled thug working under the akuu company. in the anime, it was Lin who beat him up.

as a follower of the manga, i really liked how they finally decided to follow the original story in this OVA. despite this fanserivce episode, it did follow the manga plot and as mentioned by Kantarou in his post, this OVA serves as a refresher of how murasaki is doing after the hell she went through.
Jul 7, 2010 8:24 AM
Mar 2010
I liked it, it was fun.
Yamie <3
oh, and I like Lin too, I liked her from the start.
great woman ^^
Jul 8, 2010 7:54 AM

Oct 2008
To me, the character design has gone from special to typical if anything. I also agree with whoever said the backgrounds don't match with the voice acting neither the soundtrack. Contiuing from where the first season stopped would be a better idea than staying true to the manga. Apart from that, I thought the OVA was very funny. I especially liked the diary part and I thought it was hilarious.
Jul 8, 2010 4:38 PM

Nov 2007
Wow, I haven't seen Kure-nai in a long while. Decent OVA.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 9, 2010 3:28 AM

May 2008
Too bad they don't introduce all the characters again, since there's a couple characters I don't recall from the TV series. Regardless, I thought it was great, and the art style fits the comedic value. TV series art was good, but it had a more serious plot than the OVA has so far.
Livestream: twitch.tv/imoogle
Jul 9, 2010 7:08 AM
Apr 2009
If I was running Brain's Base, I would fire the director, right now.

Jumping into the manga's hotel story without any introduction to Kirihiko or Lucy shows that their intended audience are the manga readers alone. Having heard great things about the manga, I was slightly let down by it, when compared to the novel, but that's a story for another day. Besides, it's not like the series was all that faithful to the dark mood of the novel, as BB's Denpa Teki no Kanojo adaptation was. In any case, following the manga will be extremely problematic when they finally have to animate the results of the novel's Lin vs Kirihiko fight.

Same thoughts about the character designs. They are the "correct" designs, but the way Brain's Base did it, boht before and in Denpa Teki no Kanojo, was really nice.

Finally, my pet peeve, the action sequences. They were fucking horrible, end of story. I'd fire whoever choreographed this fucking travesty, right fucking now. I'd go into more detail, but it would turn into a rant, but I'll let the f-bombs I dropped in this para alone show my absolute and utter hate.

In any case, I can see absolutely no improvements in any way, shape or form, from the series.
Jul 9, 2010 8:02 AM

Oct 2008
gryphonz said:
If I was running Brain's Base, I would fire the director, right now.

Jumping into the manga's hotel story without any introduction to Kirihiko or Lucy shows that their intended audience are the manga readers alone. Having heard great things about the manga, I was slightly let down by it, when compared to the novel, but that's a story for another day. Besides, it's not like the series was all that faithful to the dark mood of the novel, as BB's Denpa Teki no Kanojo adaptation was. In any case, following the manga will be extremely problematic when they finally have to animate the results of the novel's Lin vs Kirihiko fight.

Same thoughts about the character designs. They are the "correct" designs, but the way Brain's Base did it, boht before and in Denpa Teki no Kanojo, was really nice.

Finally, my pet peeve, the action sequences. They were fucking horrible, end of story. I'd fire whoever choreographed this fucking travesty, right fucking now. I'd go into more detail, but it would turn into a rant, but I'll let the f-bombs I dropped in this para alone show my absolute and utter hate.

In any case, I can see absolutely no improvements in any way, shape or form, from the series.

Well said.
Is there a chance they change it back?
Jul 9, 2010 7:54 PM

Feb 2009
peacecraft said:
I didn't like the manga the first time I tried it, and I still don't like it.

I loved Brain Base's TV adaption, but the manga it just so generic and bland to me; it just doesn't have any charm and it shows in this OVA. Its just another forgettable series full of fan-service and some fighting. I still think the manga designs are ugly and unappealing; should of stuck with Kumi Ishii.

Agreed. Couldn't bare more than 10 minutes of the OVA.

Jul 10, 2010 1:45 PM

May 2009
gryphonz said:
Jumping into the manga's hotel story without any introduction to Kirihiko or Lucy shows that their intended audience are the manga readers alone.

This OVA was bundled with a volume of the manga, so legally, only the manga readers aquired it.
Jul 18, 2010 1:46 AM

Sep 2008
viral_hun said:
gryphonz said:
Jumping into the manga's hotel story without any introduction to Kirihiko or Lucy shows that their intended audience are the manga readers alone.

This OVA was bundled with a volume of the manga, so legally, only the manga readers aquired it.

Well that will explain something for a start. And guess overall it shows it is for the Manga fans even though I have only seen the Anime :/.

It was alright I guess though. I didn't particularly like how it was 3 short stories though, just seemed kinda weird. Also don't like the Manga designs as much. It had some enjoyable bits though.

Also, I don't remember who that blonde girl is.... She is in the character list for the original series though....

Edit: Alright so she wasn't in the first series.
velcomJul 18, 2010 1:50 AM
Jul 23, 2010 11:07 PM

Jul 2007
Even though I really can't get over the change in animation, this episode was okay.
Jul 25, 2010 3:59 AM

Feb 2010
i guessa typicall ova less story more fanservices :P
Jul 25, 2010 11:23 AM

Oct 2007
5camp said:

That isn't to say it wasn't still fun though. Once I got over the fact it was different, it was certainly enjoyable and I probably would have enjoyed it more had I not seen the TV series.

i'm gonna have to agree. it was nice and all but comparing to the original that loved so dearly while it was airing just does'nt do the show any service
Jul 28, 2010 3:59 PM

Dec 2009
I like the characters design and the comedy , the diary part was the best .
Aug 1, 2010 3:57 AM

Aug 2009
Love the character designs!!! This is even better than the anime series.

http://jedikieth.mybrute.com/ -Fight MyBrute! Be my Pupil!
Aug 1, 2010 6:16 AM

Aug 2009
Why is it that every one thinks that the OVA characters are ugly?

In fact the manga and the OVA style are the real art style. The anime art style is just crap.
RKCAug 4, 2010 12:42 AM

http://jedikieth.mybrute.com/ -Fight MyBrute! Be my Pupil!
Aug 16, 2010 9:22 PM

Jan 2010
I enjoyed the OVA ..
Aug 23, 2010 7:57 PM
Oct 2007
RKC said:
Why is it that every one thinks that the OVA characters are ugly?

In fact the manga and the OVA style are the real art style. The anime art style is just crap.

The problem is, these designs don't let the characters emote nearly as well. They're flat, just like the writing in this OVA. Even with different designs, it still would have worked better had the snappy dialogue and great character interaction. Watching this sort of felt like sleepwalking. Not to mention the terrible animation. I didn't have as much of a problem with the designs as other people, but they lack any sort of personality.

All in all, huge disappointment so far.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ugly character designs

ange10 - Jun 15, 2010

45 by CosmicDefender »»
Sep 6, 2020 7:33 AM

Poll: » Kure-nai OVA Episode 2 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Dec 16, 2010

32 by lihle808 »»
Sep 18, 2018 4:24 PM

» /

delete_plz - Apr 20, 2010

7 by Rosa_FOEtida »»
May 14, 2010 7:57 AM

» /

delete_plz - May 10, 2010

0 by delete_plz »»
May 10, 2010 5:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.