Forum Settings
Forums
New
Are you a Maison fan?
May 8, 2008 4:42 PM

Mar 2008
Okay, it's not like I expected a vibrant discussion, but seriously, 0 posts? This is probably the greatest romance manga of all time, surely there have to be SOME fans in here.
May 8, 2008 5:19 PM

Dec 2007
Agreed, and my second favorite manga. I haven't read all that many yet, but if there is a better romance manga out there, I'd certainly love to hear about it. A shame this classic is so little known (in North America, at least, along with Urusei Yatsura) compared to Takahashi's later work.

Also, I remember this was ranked in the 60s around the time I joined the site and now it's #84. What's wrong with people?
SchnickelFritzMay 8, 2008 5:23 PM
May 8, 2008 6:55 PM

Mar 2008
wizwinkleman said:
Agreed, and my second favorite manga. I haven't read all that many yet, but if there is a better romance manga out there, I'd certainly love to hear about it. A shame this classic is so little known (in North America, at least, along with Urusei Yatsura) compared to Takahashi's later work.

Also, I remember this was ranked in the 60s around the time I joined the site and now it's #84. What's wrong with people?
What's wrong, I think, is that it is an old manga and it's not commercial. A lot of people reading manga today do not appreciate the 80's style of art (and starting off Maison's art was very unrefined and constantly changing). Plus, it's funny, yes, but not as funny as her later works. It also has a slower pace and a realistic atmosphere and setting which is only recently becoming popular over here.

But anyone who claims to be a fan of romance manga but hasn't read this isn't much of a romance fan. I always have to laugh at people when they crow about how great Kare Kano is and when I mention Maison Ikkoku they look confused and ask what it is. It's sad. This series deserves more credit than it gets.
May 8, 2008 7:30 PM
Dec 2007
I am watching the anime right now and I am enjoying it! (If that counts) I will read the manga tommorrow. It hurts me to see poeple ignore classics.
May 8, 2008 7:37 PM

Mar 2008
danobou said:
I am watching the anime right now and I am enjoying it! (If that counts) I will read the manga tommorrow. It hurts me to see poeple ignore classics.
The animé was good too. But (like most things) the original is better. That being the manga. They added extra stuff to the animé and mixed up the event order a bit, especially near the end of the series. But thankfully, unlike Inu Yasha and Ranma½, the Maison Ikkoku animé DID have an actual ending.
May 19, 2008 4:05 PM

Dec 2007
It's up to #75 now. Good to see new fans enjoying MI as much as I do. Seriously thinking about rereading the whole thing once I finish with Ranma, which should be soon.
May 19, 2008 4:16 PM

Mar 2007
I love Maison Ikkoku :D It is the only Rumiko Takahashi series that I really like, and has a really good, solid, ending. ^_^ Both anime and manga are great.
Jun 6, 2008 2:44 PM

Dec 2007
Huzzah! I now have my very own complete MI set (actually being delivered right now; should have it in the next few days).

Oh, and I finished Ranma, which is really a very fun series, in moderation (why I took so long with it, and I'm already pretty slow). Now Viz just needs to start re-releasing Urusei Yatsura.. I believe it's her only work not to get the full treatment. I fear this is wishful thinking, though. =/
Jun 7, 2008 7:11 AM
Dec 2007
wizwinkleman said:
Huzzah! I now have my very own complete MI set (actually being delivered right now; should have it in the next few days).

Oh, and I finished Ranma, which is really a very fun series, in moderation (why I took so long with it, and I'm already pretty slow). Now Viz just needs to start re-releasing Urusei Yatsura.. I believe it's her only work not to get the full treatment. I fear this is wishful thinking, though. =/

Viz is rereleasing Urusei Yatsura! I must buy it!!!
Jun 7, 2008 7:32 AM

Dec 2007
danobou said:
Viz is rereleasing Urusei Yatsura! I must buy it!!!

If only! Have to make do with scanlations in the meantime.

Or sign this petition. Suppose it couldn't hurt. Maybe they'll try it again when Inu Yasha finishes.
Jan 24, 2009 11:08 AM

Nov 2008
It was a decent manga. It had a great message about love and perserverance but ended up convoluted with gender stereotypes and making the protagonist dumb as rocks. The ending didn't save it from the unfortunate path becoming a harem.

5/10 - Average
arimakenshinMar 20, 2009 3:13 PM
Feb 11, 2009 1:18 AM

Dec 2007
Ouch, did we read the same manga? I didn't see any of that, but different strokes, etc..

A bit sad to see it's dropped roughly a hundred places in the rankings since a year ago.
Oct 29, 2009 10:36 PM

Feb 2009
arimakenshin said:
It was a decent manga. It had a great message about love and perserverance but ended up convoluted with gender stereotypes and making the protagonist dumb as rocks. The ending didn't save it from the unfortunate path becoming a harem.

5/10 - Average

Wow. I mean, wow.

How this is not ranked among the 10 greatest manga of all time, I'll never know.

The writing and character development in this series is truly outstanding.

Dec 19, 2009 11:36 PM
Jun 2008
Nope. Hated the wimpy and indecisive main characters, the comedy got really repetitive after a while, and the pacing was awful. It should've been 4 or 5 volumes instead of 15. But then, shounen romance sucks compared to shoujo/seinen/josei romance in general, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.
Feb 14, 2010 11:39 AM

Apr 2008
Of course there are lots of fans around.

I urge any fans newcomers or old fans to join the Maison Ikkoku Fan Club
Jun 30, 2010 4:15 PM
Nov 2009
I just finished this series. I've always been a Takahashi fan, and in this case she doesn't disappoint. This is the first manga I've given a perfect 10 to. It's not that it's not flawed, but that in spite of flaws it is still a masterpiece. It's great to see where the current generations of romantic comedies got their inspiration from, even if I don't think that any of them (short of possibly Kare Kano) match up. Yusaku is an indecisive loser, while Kyoko is stubborn and jealous, but when you look beyond those stereotypes they are believable people, not cardboard cutouts. They have reasons for their actions and feeling, which are explored and explained as the series progresses. You get so very invested in the characters and the relationship over the 15 books.

My first favorite part of Maison Ikkoku was in the final book, when Yusaku goes to Soichiro's grave and finally comes to terms with Kyoko's lingering feelings. "You've been a part of her since the first day I met her. And I still fell in love with her. So... I'm taking you into my life too. As part of her." that quote makes me tear up just from reading it.

My second favorite part was after Yusaku is laid off from the preschool, and he's sitting outside crying while kids are running around him. That was the first time I cried at the series.

I guess I'm just a sucker for the emotional stuff.

I'm currently in the afterglow phase after you finish an emotional story and you don't want to let go of the feelings that the it evoked. So I'm sorry if my post is disjointed.
Jul 3, 2010 6:50 PM

Oct 2008
I found myself constantly being annoyed....
The misunderstandings never ended....

Well it was a way to pass time....
Excuse my english..
Suicidal...Me?...Naaaah
Sep 10, 2010 1:07 AM
Jul 2018
10/10 for me

Simply awesome manga. It mad me laugh, It made my head go bonkers, it made me cry

I really loved the misunderstandings as well. Many of them were realistic. And the love was portrayed with great sublime touch. The characters were great and another one of Rumiko Sensei's works which I'll never be able to forget
Nov 20, 2010 1:49 PM

Mar 2009
Man, this was actually one of those manga that really got me into manga, I should consider myself lucky considering that I've yet to find anything else of the genre to be anywhere near as good. More people need to read this, I'm really not sure why Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha are both so much more popular than this.
Apr 16, 2014 12:32 PM

Jan 2013
Its a great romantic slice of life story (just after HnC for me).
Even though I have a lot of complaints regarding the anime, its still a pretty good one.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 16, 2014 12:39 PM

Sep 2012
Currently watching it.

It's not bad at all, and has some really enjoyable moments. But it also has some utterly insufferable moments.

I really don't see anything special about it. They typical romcom cliches have been around for a while.
Apr 16, 2014 12:52 PM

Nov 2010
It goes about maintaining the status quo too long. While a nice portion of the episodes were good. You know they'll never settle any of the problems until the end. She will always misunderstand some situation and run off, the annoying characters who like the main characters will always show up, etc. Too long for that type of story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Chapter 81 Discussion

jonnjonzz - Feb 23, 2023

1 by samsince04 »»
Dec 27, 2023 9:59 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Chapter 70 Discussion

jonnjonzz - Feb 20, 2023

1 by samsince04 »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:02 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Chapter 48 Discussion

samsince04 - Nov 17, 2023

0 by samsince04 »»
Nov 17, 2023 10:40 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Chapter 47 Discussion

0 by samsince04 »»
Nov 17, 2023 10:34 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Chapter 44 Discussion

0 by samsince04 »»
Nov 17, 2023 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.