Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any crossover episodes that are actually good?

New
May 25, 8:52 PM

May 2020
It feels like Crossover episodes are doomed to mediocrity just from the word go. First of all, they are almost always non-canon (unless the universes are linked in someway that allows the crossover to become canon) and they do not add anything to the story of either franchise. They don't build characters, they don't expand the world, it's just bottom tier filler to sell more product.

The only thing that could even theoretically salvage a crossover is if the spectacle is just so good that you don't care about any of that, you are just spending time with characters you like and being satisfied by that.

The best execution of a crossover episode that I can think of is the Gintama Bleach crossover. It's a decently funny episode about awakening Gin's "Zanpakuto". Given that Gintama is a comedy series it sort of fits right in because the bar for how much sense something has to make to be canon in Gintama is extremely low. It's just another funny situation to put the cast in and that's all it needs to be.

What do you think? Any standout crossovers come to mind?
May 25, 8:58 PM

Dec 2021
I've only seen the one UYxRanmaxInuyasha OVA, which was basically just an on-disc freebie. That was a fun one, though.

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
May 25, 9:15 PM

May 2019
Cyborg 009 Vs Devilman is pretty cool.
And every time Goku encounters Arale.
May 25, 9:20 PM

Feb 2016
Anjuro said:
The best execution of a crossover episode that I can think of is the Gintama Bleach crossover. It's a decently funny episode about awakening Gin's "Zanpakuto". Given that Gintama is a comedy series it sort of fits right in because the bar for how much sense something has to make to be canon in Gintama is extremely low. It's just another funny situation to put the cast in and that's all it needs to be.

In the Gintama crossover with SKET Dance, they acknowledge that the SKET Dance crossover is in fact Gintama's only crossover. The others are nothing more than parody or copyright infringement.

その目だれの目?
May 25, 9:24 PM

May 2020
Reply to tchitchouan
Cyborg 009 Vs Devilman is pretty cool.
And every time Goku encounters Arale.
@tchitchouan I didn't really enjoy the dr Slump crossovers personally but I was just not enjoying DBS to begin with so it's not much of a surpise.

A VS crossover does sound interesting at least in theory, but it still feels a bit bad because inevitably it's going to be written in a way where it ends up being a draw so that fans of neither series feel slighted. But just on a theoretical level, I think such a crossover could produce some cool moments at least.

You know what we really need? Ishuzoku reviewers crossover xD I don't even care what you cross it with, it'll be fun
May 25, 9:28 PM

May 2020
Reply to Lucifrost
Anjuro said:

In the Gintama crossover with SKET Dance, they acknowledge that the SKET Dance crossover is in fact Gintama's only crossover. The others are nothing more than parody or copyright infringement.

@Lucifrost Well, your first mistake was to take what gintama says seriously XD Well, you are right, what I called a bleach crossover ultimately does feel like a regular gintama episode that is just ripping off bleach (I mean it doesn't even have any Bleach characters in it) whereas the Sket dance one is clearly a more standard crossover. Look, I'm grasping for straws here ok? XD I needed to give an example and thats the only thing I could think of. The sket dance crossover was not nearly as good imo.
May 25, 9:31 PM

May 2019
Reply to Anjuro
@tchitchouan I didn't really enjoy the dr Slump crossovers personally but I was just not enjoying DBS to begin with so it's not much of a surpise.

A VS crossover does sound interesting at least in theory, but it still feels a bit bad because inevitably it's going to be written in a way where it ends up being a draw so that fans of neither series feel slighted. But just on a theoretical level, I think such a crossover could produce some cool moments at least.

You know what we really need? Ishuzoku reviewers crossover xD I don't even care what you cross it with, it'll be fun
@Anjuro
Ishuzoku reviewers x Taimanin would be pretty awesome, where the guys get to test out each taimanin girl and give their opinion on them, i mean they're all practically just ninja prostitutes so it fits well with the theme.
May 25, 9:36 PM

Apr 2024
Magia Record x Black★Rock Shooter (TV) if the latter was not a marketing failure targeted at tiny audience of vocaloid fans.
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 25, 9:38 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Anjuro

Anjuro said:
I didn't really enjoy the dr Slump crossovers personally but I was just not enjoying DBS to begin with so it's not much of a surpise.

The 80s Dragon Ball also had a crossover with Dr. Slump. The 90s Dr. Slump reboot then retold that arc, but I didn't like it as much the 2nd time.
その目だれの目?
May 25, 9:39 PM

May 2020
Reply to tchitchouan
@Anjuro
Ishuzoku reviewers x Taimanin would be pretty awesome, where the guys get to test out each taimanin girl and give their opinion on them, i mean they're all practically just ninja prostitutes so it fits well with the theme.
@tchitchouan I love the taimanin series so I certainly wouldn't complain, but I was thinking it would be more fun to let some of the other girls get some action too (The taimanins get so much action in their own franchise already).

I sometimes think about that scene at the start of Koukaku Kidoutai where Major Kusanagi said "if we fail let's go into a nudie bar and drown our sorrows away" or something to that effect. I would love to Major Kusanagi open up her own nudie bar, (as she is clearly a big fan of them xD) and the Ishuzoku boys could come for a visit and rate her "android" mating skills :)
May 25, 9:47 PM

May 2020
Reply to Lucifrost
Anjuro said:
I didn't really enjoy the dr Slump crossovers personally but I was just not enjoying DBS to begin with so it's not much of a surpise.

The 80s Dragon Ball also had a crossover with Dr. Slump. The 90s Dr. Slump reboot then retold that arc, but I didn't like it as much the 2nd time.
@Lucifrost Huh, I have actually watched the 80s DB series but I did not remember that it featured Dr. Slump, it has been a long time though. I can see it working better there because the original dragonball is much more comedic.
May 25, 9:47 PM

May 2019
Reply to Anjuro
@tchitchouan I love the taimanin series so I certainly wouldn't complain, but I was thinking it would be more fun to let some of the other girls get some action too (The taimanins get so much action in their own franchise already).

I sometimes think about that scene at the start of Koukaku Kidoutai where Major Kusanagi said "if we fail let's go into a nudie bar and drown our sorrows away" or something to that effect. I would love to Major Kusanagi open up her own nudie bar, (as she is clearly a big fan of them xD) and the Ishuzoku boys could come for a visit and rate her "android" mating skills :)
@Anjuro Yeah that could work as well.
May 26, 2:38 AM

Sep 2016
Anjuro said:
Any standout crossovers come to mind?

One Piece x Dragon Ball x Toriko triple crossover, see One Piece episode 590
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 26, 11:33 AM

Nov 2014
Gintama x SKET Dance. The crossover episodes feel a lot like the normal episodes.
May 26, 1:24 PM

May 2018
Annette-san x Lilianna-san.
Konosuba x Venom hentai manga.
May 26, 4:24 PM

Jul 2016
The only one that comes to mind would be Dragon Ball x Dr Slump
May 26, 4:37 PM
Jan 2020
Not sure if it counts as a crossover, but Carnival Phantasm. Doesn't drive any story forward but certainly is fun.
May 26, 5:26 PM

Aug 2019
Honestly, the only crossover episode I can recall is the Gintama/Sket Dance one. It was fun but could've been better for how much I was looking forward to it. The other members from each trio really got sidelined in favor of Gin and Bossun. They should've gotten their own side-plot going on.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Why is Japan Afraid of Realism in Anime? ( 1 2 )

TheSunLife - Sep 23

53 by JoeChip »»
17 seconds ago

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

88 by Nutella71 »»
3 minutes ago

» Localization examples you can quote?

EmiliaHoarfrost - 7 hours ago

9 by Quadruple_Oi »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime studio has the best track record for consistent bangers? ( 1 2 )

Reshiram_IX - Sep 20

56 by Flick_on »»
10 minutes ago

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry?

Spunkert - 4 hours ago

23 by Nurguburu »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.