Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 1:13 AM
Oct 2020
TITLE: Cinderella

Wow, Cinderella looks cute. Surely, she's innocent and kind, she's gonna be a poor girl getting abused by her stepmother and sisters, right?

...right?

RealNathApr 17, 12:39 PM
Apr 17, 2:43 AM

Sep 2020
Is this gonna be a weekly series or all episodes were released at once ?
Apr 17, 3:17 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to ZXEAN
Is this gonna be a weekly series or all episodes were released at once ?
@ZXEAN all episodes are available on Netflix

I just watched E1, not sure I understood fully the motivations of MC haha but overall it was a good episode and look forward to watching more.

Some nice animation here which is no surprise with this being made by Wit Studio!
Apr 17, 8:31 AM

Apr 2020
Best episode of the 6 imo. But the others were very good also.
Got very confused when they changed characters after since I had no idea it was 6 mini-stories.
8/10 for the whole show.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Apr 17, 9:23 AM
May 2021
Japanese Cinderella literally a psycho murderer 💀
Apr 17, 10:38 AM

Nov 2012
Variation indeed. Loved it. I wish we had some explanation of the doll though.
Apr 17, 11:16 AM
Sep 2015
Grimm brothers scene is definitely the pinnacle of Studio Wit's quality even if there's no action at all. The Cinderella part drop quality a little bit but is still well above average of other studios.

This re-interpretation is still carry the same Grimm's dark nature so I'd say that this is a respectful adaptation. Oh, and this is my personal taste, but this has the hottest Prince among all Cinderella adaptation, either live-action or animation. He's stupid but I don't mind that at all, after all, it'd be easier for me to control him...
Apr 17, 11:19 AM
Jan 2018
Can’t get over CLAMPs character designs with WIT animation, it’s gorgeous!!
Apr 17, 1:02 PM

Aug 2007
At the beginning of the story I was thinking that only the new mother and sister were the only one that the little girl was manipulating. She is an excellent actress. And that's creepy. I like this kind of new variations of fairy tales.
Apr 17, 1:07 PM

Aug 2008
I liked the psycho Cinderella version. You don't even need to worry about that little b**ch hahaha. The way she makes herself the victim made me laugh so bad
Apr 17, 6:58 PM

Apr 2022
i haven't seen that many retellings of cinderella, but this variation has to be my favorite now. really good start.
Apr 18, 4:25 AM

Sep 2008
For me, it's tied with "Hansel & Gretel" for best episode of "The Grimm Variations"

As far as classic horror tropes go (with a contemporary spin), this is amazingly effective as a whole
LAboy456Apr 18, 5:18 AM
Apr 18, 6:06 AM
Feb 2024
What the duck? This episode was mind blowing, Kiyoko was the puppeteer of the lives of everyone. I didn't see a FL so manipulative in a while. I mean, I can see it, but the delivery of the story was really good, I passed to root for the protagonist to root for the sisters, even though I still disliked them to the very end, they loved in a golden cage for years and they hated it, good work 5/5
Apr 18, 12:35 PM

Mar 2010
I just watched episode one but I'm not really enjoying the anime. I really thought it would be like Ludwig revolution...but the pace is not very well, the "intelligent" moves of the characters don't really make sense and they always have to show you that something is wrong with the girl...treating the audience like they are stupid...
Apr 18, 8:13 PM

Dec 2015
I like the idea, very promising, let's see what comes next.
Apr 18, 8:49 PM
Oct 2014
It was good, the twists were pretty predictable from the beginning but I liked the execution. I just hope the bad guy doesn't win in every episode. I don't love it when the bad guy wins.
Apr 19, 6:19 AM
Apr 2024
Very nice but too fast
Apr 19, 7:44 AM
Jan 2020
Been a while I've seen a character be just pure evil in anime it's refreshing
Apr 19, 2:50 PM
Nov 2021
Cute concept. Should not have been 40minutes.
Apr 19, 10:55 PM
Jan 2024
/**SPOILERS**/
Wow, I was not expecting how the storyline for this episode would turn out to be.
When I started watching episode 1, I didn't have much high expectations for the show. I just thought that maybe it would be an animated retelling of the Brothers Grim stories (you know... but make it EXTRA gory), but BOY was I SOOO wrong.

At the start of the episode, I admit, I despised the sisters for their bratty behavior, and expected the worse from their mother. But once the show ended, I just felt chills and happily rejoiced once the sisters were free, but at the cost of their mother's life, which made me empathize with them. Kiyoko is a literal devil in disguise and just watching her evil psycho plans unfold gave me shivers.

Can't wait to see what the other stories are going to be like!
Apr 20, 8:11 AM
May 2023
I don't mind evil Cinderella but her character was very overdramatic watched sub episode the VA's work felt very annoying to me maybe I don't like characters that sounds light and high pitch even her expressions doesn't looks like pitiable to me if I were in the crowd I would've thought she's sus with how she's initiating to act all pitiful infront of the crowd out of nowhere in the next moment "oh no I cause trouble" afterwards easily accept the that dude's dance offer the expressions and and her tone during that scene was literally felt so weird and kinda off to me well whatever the servants were lucky that they're not her target all the best to that dude for becoming her next toy.
Apr 20, 12:14 PM
Jan 2021
Oh. My god. This is the worse interpretation of Cinderella I've seen. It just has no charisma, no real theme. There is no real protagonist, as it doesn't know if the stepsisters or Cinderella should be the main character; none of them has any characteristics to be liked. The stepmother, who could be the character really suffering has less screen time than some of the servants. It feels edgy in a very juvenile way, as if a 14 year old was aked to give a dark twist to the original Cinderella.
Also, come on, the glass slipper is even on the poster, so yeah let's just remove one of the most iconic parts of the original fairy tale. Have this brooch instead.
I immediately wanted to give up on the show but I like to watch at least three episodes before doing so. But my expectations are very, very low.
vinidoodApr 20, 12:18 PM
Apr 20, 12:32 PM

Aug 2020
Evil Cinderella was alright but I wish we got more of an explanation on why she acted this way. I get it was all a game to her but what was the purpose? Was it grieving from losing her mother? Did she actually kill her dad? I don't understand her end goal? Also what was the deal with the doll? Is it possessed or is it alive? So many questions than answers. It was an interesting take from the original but the pacing was all over the place. I do like their take on the step family. However Cinderella didn't really do anything scary/wtf and kind of annoying at times imo. Once they revealed her standing with the doll in the first 5 minutes the shock factor was gone. Her manipulating the hairpin scene or poisoning her stepmom, I mean you have seen it all before. Felt very lackluster and surface level. Maybe I have seen too many horror films but it wasn't that creepy idk. Low key wanted her step family to get a good ending, that would have been a real "variation" Makiko best character for sure, Drizella I guess.

I will continue the series because it has potential but the first episode was a 6/10. Animation/art design was amazing and the soundtrack was great (I loved the ending and dance theme). Hopefully the next stories are executed better.
TheSunLifeApr 20, 11:09 PM
"Bro, if you set your mind to it. You can jack off to anything."
☆☆☆☆☆
Apr 21, 3:10 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to dragynfaerie
Variation indeed. Loved it. I wish we had some explanation of the doll though.
@dragynfaerie the doll is the Fairy Godmother. Though, seriously, MC is just psycho and the doll talking is her hallyucination probably. Their final dialog strongly hints this.
Apr 22, 7:02 AM

May 2017
I have to admit, I expected a little more of the Cinderella variation.

I was excited to see the episode was about 40minutes long, instead of your usual 20min episodes. But I feel like the twist that they gave this story was a bit boring. It was very predictable how certain scenarios would be used by the little psycho Kiyoko to frame her sisters etc. Yes, the sisters were bratty and perhaps acted spoiled, but I just didn't understand why the servants did not question Kiyoko's behaviour for 5 years straight?

Either way, she did do some pretty heinous things, even murdering her own father to get what she wants. That was a pretty nice addition to her evil character.

I hope the following episodes will be better~!

"No matter how much you regret or wish, if you couldn't do something in life...

you can't do it either after death"

~ Hanako-kun (Toilet-bound Hanako-kun)

Apr 22, 10:50 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Cinderella?
First episode to starts the season and the "dolls" were a exquisiteness!
textbook psychopath!

7/10

kekeke
Apr 23, 4:53 AM
Feb 2021
All over the place, liked the style, but was quite bored
Apr 23, 1:53 PM
Sep 2021
Damn, I kept thinking the entire time that the stepsisters were asses but they didn't deserve being around the evil Kiyoko tbh.
Apr 24, 8:50 AM
Oct 2022
Incroyable la situation
Apr 25, 5:36 AM
Apr 2024
It was incredible
Apr 25, 6:47 PM
May 2018
What I don't like about this kind of stories is when the characters are "miserable" just because they can be miserable and make the audience feel something about it. If the "evil" sisters wanted to leave the house so bad that they made a plan to make the prince fall for Kiyoko, make an scene out of it, "discuss" about the heirdom, and ultimately getting kicked out of the house, then... why didn't they just go away?
Apr 26, 11:09 PM

May 2015
I like clamps art style for this series! I'm glad the step sisters were able to escape Kiyoko. Good luck to the count and his family now.
Apr 28, 8:55 AM

Apr 2012
This is what I call unexpected deconstruction and competent bait and switch. Hollywood clearly needs to learn how to do these things right, despite the fact that much of modern Western content consists of this. At first I found this reversal of sides quite weird and funny, but in the end it turned out to be a rather original, albeit crazy story in the style of late 20th century thrillers.
May 2, 9:23 AM

May 2014
Not bad, but very predictable. Wished they would be more subtle with the whole "Evil Cinderella" plot going on. They revealed that Kiyoko is the "evil heroine" way too early. They could've used the doll as a red herring to make it abit more supernatural, but the doll might as well not be there and the story won't change at all.
It feels like the doll was there only as a tool for exposition and so Kiyoko can "monologue". Also maybe to add some some creepy-ness factor.

May 5, 12:54 PM
Sep 2019
Best episodes of any work done by wit probably
They went all out in This.
As perfect as it's get
Dam I love original story and I loved this version as well haha, it was fun very fun.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 6 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

27 by Konekoneko »»
Yesterday, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 3 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

27 by Matchafloat »»
May 19, 10:53 PM

» Soundtrack

QuynhNhu - Apr 19

2 by dirghoshash »»
May 17, 11:00 PM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 5 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

18 by MickeyMinaj »»
May 17, 8:40 AM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 4 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

40 by MickeyMinaj »»
May 17, 3:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.