Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 8:10 AM

Nov 2011
This looked better than I had expected. I think part of that can be attributed to the fantasy-historical setting. It also takes on a more serious vibe for a show in this timeline.

I'm not sure how to feel about the cast just yet but it's the lore that appeals to me so far. Humans and crows are a core part of the show's elements, as even told through narratives. There's also regions, world fiction, and some other info dumps. Defintiely a setup episode but very interesting imo.
Apr 6, 8:15 AM

Jul 2017
Author Abe Chisato's Yatagarasu series since 2012, it certainly has the Koukyuu no Karasu feeling to it, with the anime being the adaptation of the 2013-released 2nd novel: Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai a.k.a The Raven Does Not Choose Its Master, being one of its stories.

The tale of the Yatagarasu in Yamauchi, with the kin'u, the Golden Raven preceding all as a way of infighting between royalty members trying go through the Rite of Ascension to be alongside the kin'u as a bride. And for Lady Asebi, which her name is a direct insult to the Prince, pleasantries like that are all common in the pursuit to be the favoured to warrant its power, of which Asebi is one of the 4 ladies representing the Houses vying to be the kin'u's bride, of which she belongs to the Eastern House.

Asebi clearly feeling out of place against the other brides, though through the pep talk with Hamayu, there is one other such person: His Highness, the Prince himself, who was not supposd to succeed the kin'u, of which he took the place as the second son, and the eldest of the two demoted to a priest, with him being a real kin'u: Yukiya, one of the hill ravens.

Saucy Dog's OP is fine for a series like this, though with 20 episodes, it's going to be a ride.
KANLen09Apr 22, 3:43 AM
Apr 6, 8:38 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty interesting setting here.
Apr 6, 10:38 AM
Apr 2014
Anyone know when this will be out on Crunchyroll?
Apr 6, 11:40 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to KANLen09
Author Abe Chisato's Yatagarasu series since 2012, it certainly has the Koukyuu no Karasu feeling to it, with the anime being the adaptation of the 2013-released 2nd novel: Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai a.k.a The Raven Does Not Choose Its Master, being one of its stories.

The tale of the Yatagarasu in Yamauchi, with the kin'u, the Golden Raven preceding all as a way of infighting between royalty members trying go through the Rite of Ascension to be alongside the kin'u as a bride. And for Lady Asebi, which her name is a direct insult to the Prince, pleasantries like that are all common in the pursuit to be the favoured to warrant its power, of which Asebi is one of the 4 ladies representing the Houses vying to be the kin'u's bride, of which she belongs to the Eastern House.

Asebi clearly feeling out of place against the other brides, though through the pep talk with Hamayu, there is one other such person: His Highness, the Prince himself, who was not supposd to succeed the kin'u, of which he took the place as the second son, and the eldest of the two demoted to a priest, with him being a real kin'u: Yukiya, one of the hill ravens.

Saucy Dog's OP is fine for a series like this, though with 20 episodes, it's going to be a ride.
@KANLen0, how did you watch if there is no episode yet?
Apr 6, 11:41 AM
Aug 2019
Neji1809 said:

As far as I know they haven’t announced a release date yet. Just „spring 2024“
Apr 6, 11:50 AM
Apr 2014
Reply to NatanaelAstra
Neji1809 said:

As far as I know they haven’t announced a release date yet. Just „spring 2024“
@NatanaelAstra damn, I hate that CR gives like no updates about these things geez
Apr 6, 1:19 PM

Sep 2022
Neji1809 said:

Heard it's supposed to come out April 10th, though...🤷

Apr 6, 1:44 PM
Feb 2024
Neji1809 said:

I don’t know if this will help at all (also a Crunchyroll user here), but I went to the calendar and watched the trailer for it- at the end at the 1:16 mark it says it’ll start airing April 6, 11:45 P.M.
This is just a guesstimate, but considering all their other anime is put on the calendar with the PT time zone, try converting it to your time and maybe that’s the right answer? Take this with a grain of salt, of course, but that’s what I’m doing.
If anyone knows where we can watch it since it’s supposedly already aired though, I’d love to know
Apr 6, 4:10 PM
Apr 2014
Reply to crazyanderewitch
Neji1809 said:

I don’t know if this will help at all (also a Crunchyroll user here), but I went to the calendar and watched the trailer for it- at the end at the 1:16 mark it says it’ll start airing April 6, 11:45 P.M.
This is just a guesstimate, but considering all their other anime is put on the calendar with the PT time zone, try converting it to your time and maybe that’s the right answer? Take this with a grain of salt, of course, but that’s what I’m doing.
If anyone knows where we can watch it since it’s supposedly already aired though, I’d love to know
@crazyanderewitch oh is this for all episodes or just the first? Because if so that is 2:45 am for me oof
Apr 6, 4:12 PM
Apr 2014
Reply to crazyanderewitch
Neji1809 said:

@crazyanderewitch oh I watched that trailer and that is 11:45 PM in JST time so it would be in the morning for us
Apr 6, 4:24 PM
Feb 2024
Neji1809 said:
@crazyanderewitch oh I watched that trailer and that is 11:45 PM in JST time so it would be in the morning for us

I missed that, sorry 😅
But hey! Now we know 🥳
Apr 6, 4:41 PM
Apr 2014
Yeah it was supposed to come out earlier today and CR has given no updates sadly
Apr 6, 9:34 PM
Mar 2021
Memore said:

I wanna know that too...like I checked every streaming sites ik, and it's not available anywhere.Idk how anyone here watched the 1st ep...
Apr 6, 11:01 PM
Jun 2021
arnphe said:
Memore said:

I wanna know that too...like I checked every streaming sites ik, and it's not available anywhere.Idk how anyone here watched the 1st ep...

Same. Where to watch it? Is it even out?
Apr 7, 12:05 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Mega_Muse
arnphe said:
Memore said:

Same. Where to watch it? Is it even out?
@Mega_Muse, sadly not, it was postponed to April 13th.
Apr 7, 1:19 AM
Jun 2021
Memore said:

Ohhh too bad. Then what are the first couple comments Goin on about?? 👀💀
Apr 7, 1:21 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to Mega_Muse
Memore said:

Ohhh too bad. Then what are the first couple comments Goin on about?? 👀💀
@Mega_Muse they prob watched the show without subs in japanese dub i think it aired in japan already
Apr 7, 1:22 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to delanodb
@Mega_Muse they prob watched the show without subs in japanese dub i think it aired in japan already
@delanodb, yes, it seems so. We have to wait for the April 13th.
Apr 7, 2:17 AM
Jun 2021
delanodb said:

Oww. Makes sense thanks
Apr 7, 4:45 AM

Apr 2008
Reply to Memore
@Memore a source for that?
Apr 7, 6:19 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to KiraYoshikage
@Memore a source for that?
@KiraYoshikage, schedule.
Apr 13, 12:24 PM
Sep 2015
Wow, this anime is the perfect replacement for everyone that yearning for Apothecary Diaries vibe.
Apr 13, 12:51 PM

Sep 2023
I really enjoyed this first episode. The art and animation are good, and the story and setting are very intriguing. It seems like there will be a lot of political machinations. I'm excited to see where it goes.
Apr 13, 3:33 PM

Apr 2012
I thought it was going to be another samurai fantasy, but it turned out to be some kind of Heian era CGDCT with elements of Apothecary diaries. With werewolf crows instead of Taira and Minamoto. God, I still didn't understand what it was.
Apr 13, 3:35 PM
Aug 2020
The first ep was different from what I was expecting but it could be an interesting show…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 13, 5:41 PM

Jun 2015
This reads like a novel. I mean the narrator literally starts up reading the couple first pages. What a "great" start.

Starting with a clumsy noble lady lacking knowledge of history as an infodump excuse. Which obviously won't be a main character. They could've simply skipped the whole narration sequence because it starts with some political marriage contest with 4 potential wives of 4 different regions of the country, which by itself explains the setting has 4 factions apart from the government.

Only the setting was presented, and it was done poorly. It's very complex, with at least 7 or 8 factions, making it hard to keep up with or remember most of the characters who briefly appear with just a few sentences, barely showing personality. Aside from the boring marriage contest, the aim of the secretive political scheming happening wasn't established. They're cooking something up, but I can't guess what for or which faction could be behind it. I'd prefer if they dedicated more screentime to fewer factions but with more content, rather than showing snippets here and there. Only the clumsy noble girl received a lot of screentime, primarily just for infodumping. So far, she's nobody; she's just a new player who has started learning about her new world.
Apr 13, 9:11 PM
Aug 2021
i like the manga adaptation designs of the characters tbh, well I'll see if i can enjoy it until the end
Apr 14, 8:23 AM

Jan 2017
Looks promising! I love crows so I think I'll be following this show~
Apr 14, 12:05 PM

Nov 2012
I was feeling ify about this until they got to the town. I really don't give a damn about the hime parts, but we know the queen is up to something. I'm hoping it has a few surprises and I haven't seen all the parts already.
Apr 14, 2:49 PM
May 2017
Very good episode! The series began very interesting! Asebi is adorable! She is cute and simple like the wildflowers, something I value so much.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 14, 10:44 PM

Nov 2023
I'm not really feeling it, to be honest, but I'll see where it goes.
Apr 15, 2:29 AM
Mar 2012
some detailed designs.
scary four sided proxy war. each character quite distinct.
That's some high court level trashtalking using flower language. lots of weird politics.
reminded i still need to finish Koukyuu no Karasu.
Apr 17, 2:34 AM

Dec 2015
So ... I first thought I misread the description. The anime started with houses and girls. But I guess this was mainly the introduction - and it later will be about the boy being servant of the prince. (Probably that 2nd son of the guy they introduced at the end of this episode.) Some politics (wife not happy with the 2nd son since the mother is a concubine) involved which I might like.

I wonder about the story at the beginning - was this the servant boy with the brother or was it the prince? (Older brother not being able to succeed the throne since he asked the big bird for help?) / Edit: Looking at it again the name he used for the younger brother ... seems to be a different one than that from the prince. And the face looked like the servant one (second male main).

Girls will be interesting as well. The main girl + the other one she talked outside seem to be interesting. One might get the prince and one forging a closer relationship to the servant boy I guess?
Apr 19, 6:47 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Luthandorius
So ... I first thought I misread the description. The anime started with houses and girls. But I guess this was mainly the introduction - and it later will be about the boy being servant of the prince. (Probably that 2nd son of the guy they introduced at the end of this episode.) Some politics (wife not happy with the 2nd son since the mother is a concubine) involved which I might like.

I wonder about the story at the beginning - was this the servant boy with the brother or was it the prince? (Older brother not being able to succeed the throne since he asked the big bird for help?) / Edit: Looking at it again the name he used for the younger brother ... seems to be a different one than that from the prince. And the face looked like the servant one (second male main).

Girls will be interesting as well. The main girl + the other one she talked outside seem to be interesting. One might get the prince and one forging a closer relationship to the servant boy I guess?
@Luthandorius In the scene at the beginning of ep. 1 the big raven was Wakamiya the imperial heir (he is the only one yatagarasu able to transform from human into bird and back at night, being a "True Golden Raven" with special magic). The boys he saved were his page-to-be Yukia from Taruhi with his younger half-brother.
Apr 19, 8:55 AM

Dec 2015
Reply to KisMaczka
@Luthandorius In the scene at the beginning of ep. 1 the big raven was Wakamiya the imperial heir (he is the only one yatagarasu able to transform from human into bird and back at night, being a "True Golden Raven" with special magic). The boys he saved were his page-to-be Yukia from Taruhi with his younger half-brother.
@KisMaczka Yes that makes sense - after episode 2 where the young prince seemed to know them. I just found it a bit weird ... thought the "golden" thing would refer to actually have golden wings in the bird form. And restrictions regarding transformation have not been explained yet I think? (So I guess this is info from the source material?) Thought everyone could transform freely.
Apr 19, 10:16 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Luthandorius
@KisMaczka Yes that makes sense - after episode 2 where the young prince seemed to know them. I just found it a bit weird ... thought the "golden" thing would refer to actually have golden wings in the bird form. And restrictions regarding transformation have not been explained yet I think? (So I guess this is info from the source material?) Thought everyone could transform freely.
@Luthandorius I explained about transformation into ravens in my answer in this topic, under spoiler button.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2155695
Apr 19, 6:22 PM
Feb 2015
Solid starting and world building, the political turmoil in a world governed by Kin'u (Golden Raven) and the Rite of Ascension, where prospect consort from the 4 region is sent to compete with each other for the Empress position . Love how intricate the animation style and detail, all girl look beautiful and pretty especially the kimono given to Asebi from Masuho, it was splendid. Also interesting the horse are replaced by Raven, i thought raven was sub-human only?

There are lot of thing going on inside and outside of the palace but basically we can smell the political agenda and hidden things between the foolish crown prince and the first prince and their faction. And the Karasu of North may be involved in it. I wonder If the early Kin'u save the raven brother is the second or first elder prince.
Historical and fantasy is up to my alley , will looking forward to it next episode!
jumbosanApr 19, 11:32 PM
Apr 20, 3:10 PM
Jul 2019
How on earth does this have such low ratings?

It's one of the best historical fantasy anime I've seen in a long time.

Beautifully written, the art style is gorgeous, excellent world-building, and the story is fascinating. Love the narrator too.

Had to rewatch a couple of explanations to make sure I got it, as some of it is complicated, but this is wonderful so far.
Apr 24, 2:57 AM

Feb 2016
I thought that this anime was not going to be in CR Spain. I don't know why, but it appeared late.
Pretty good start. The lore for this world is very interesting.
I apologyse for my english from now. I'm spanish and I've my english rusty for not using it.
Yesterday, 7:13 AM

Jun 2020
Decent start. I can see they're building something, but maybe the story pace is not made for everyone. Since the lore seems quite interesting, I might keep my attention to this so I hope it won't disappoints.

More topics from this board

» Sleeper Hit

_MackynCheese_ - Yesterday

4 by animejas »»
Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 27

22 by _MackynCheese_ »»
Yesterday, 5:50 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 20

23 by Atavistic »»
Apr 30, 11:45 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 13

48 by winddevil1 »»
Apr 29, 1:14 PM

» My favorite anime of the season. Watch this if you want a serious story without silly comedy bits

MyllerPhiem - Apr 16

13 by KisMaczka »»
Apr 28, 3:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.