Forum Settings
Forums
New
watching more or analyzing more?
Mar 21, 3:47 PM

Nov 2017
Do you prefer spend your energy to watching more animes or better understanding and analyzing the shows? (researching in fandoms, asking questions on reddit about the series you watch)
Mar 21, 3:57 PM

Aug 2013
I prefer to analyze anime after i watch it. I choose anime by a cover basically and don't read the descriptions to have a surprise during watching.
Mar 21, 4:13 PM

Sep 2016
Analyzing fictional nonsense is a waste of time, but I still do it sometimes.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 21, 4:18 PM
Jan 2024
Both. I have no more energy left, but on a serious note i'll go for the latter if the show interests me enough. So it's situational for me.
Mar 21, 4:31 PM

May 2021
I'd rather stick to the analyses that appear on any "home page". I prefer to simply watch it, obsess over it for a while, and then move on to something else.

Mar 21, 8:10 PM

Oct 2017
With all media I consume, analysis 100%. I much prefer to understand stuff underneath the surface level instead of just taking things for face value
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Mar 21, 8:41 PM

Apr 2010
Out of the options you've provided, I'd much rather watch more.
Mar 21, 9:09 PM

Apr 2020
You can analyze while watching. And if a show is particularly interesting or amazing, then you'd venture forth to analyze it more deeply by asking fandoms questions or something like that. But on average, if you watch a lot of anime, it just seems reasonable to just 'watch more' rather than to bother analyzing most of them.
W3TFTMar 21, 9:30 PM
ow + nw = 90-2000s

Mar 21, 9:19 PM

Jul 2021
if the anime is deep or interesting enough then i always do it.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 22, 2:59 AM

Jan 2022
Rinenka said:
(researching in fandoms, asking questions on reddit about the series you watch)

Anyone who does this are more likely to lose their appreciation for the shows they're researching.
Mar 22, 3:04 AM

Feb 2020
"watching more or analyzing more?"

Definitely watching more.
Mar 22, 3:24 AM

Dec 2022
I prefer analyzing if the said anime is the one which I liked watching.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Mar 22, 3:51 AM

Nov 2023
Yeah I rather do both at the same time, more on the watching side so if I miss anything Im not going back
Ratris_DecisionMar 22, 3:57 AM
Mar 22, 4:09 AM
Dec 2021
Depends.
Only If the anime is good enough, I do analyze.
But not every anime is good enough.
For example, I found only Frieren and The Apothecary Diaries out of 10-12 running animes to do research about.
Mar 22, 4:15 AM

Mar 2023
A little mixture of both of them i guess.
Mar 22, 4:15 AM

Jan 2009
i rather watch more anime since i like to feel more than think more
Mar 22, 4:21 AM

Apr 2022
Both. I mean the first step to analyze the show is to watch it.
Mar 22, 4:31 AM

Jan 2023
Would rather direct my energy towards analysis since that’s what I do for virtually everything I watch to better understand rather than taking it at the surface level.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Mar 22, 5:06 AM
Dec 2023
Analyzing made me able to appreciate everything I watch more. "Just watching" is also more forgettable than delving into every series to understand it fully.
Mar 22, 6:01 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
I used to analyze a few shows like Evangelion, Lain, Texhnolyze. But after hours of research I always came to the same conclusions:
a) It's impossible to "figure out" the truth, as the shows are just badly written and have massive plotholes. The wikis don't explain everything either, or they blatantly state that something is not explained within the show and that there aren't sufficient clues to conjure up a sensible explanation.
b) Fandom can't agree on 1 interpretation, everyone has a different headcanon to explain stuff that happens in the shows.
c) The mystery in those shows is intentional in order to construct a contrived and pretentious feeling of intellectualism, when in reality it's just a meaningless drivel. A great majority of the audience will feel "in awe" because they didn't understand the show, and they will assume that a show is written by a genius simply because they didn't understand it. Very relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0qmkQGqpM8
d) Dimwit people feel smart by injecting their own headcanon in order to make sense of the story.

I don't waste my time analyzing shows anymore. If a show isn't naturally digestible, it's almost guaranteed to be one of those pseudo-intellectualistic pseudo-philosophical shows that bait people into believing it's a work of a great intellect, while in reality it feels like something you'd write while heavily intoxicated on some shrooms.
Mar 22, 6:08 AM

Oct 2013
In most cases, I prefer to just watch anime and not think too much about them once I finish watching them. BUT there are exceptions. While I tend to analyze only a few of them, I would lie if I said I never do it, haha. I'm talking here about shows that caught my attention and were interesting enough to be worth doing any type of small research or analysis, simply out of curiosity. Info about themes, fanmade theories, details about stuff that was the main inspiration behind the creation process of an anime or its source material... These are interesting things, indeed.
Mar 22, 10:13 AM

Feb 2023
Watching. I do not like to analyze things too much, and a lot of people over-analyze media to the point where they read into stuff that isn't there.
Mar 22, 10:26 AM

Aug 2016
I can do both things no problem, it's fun to watch a series and try to analyze it as it goes on, or do that after I'm done watching all of it.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Mar 22, 3:38 PM

Nov 2019
Both. I like to look at the anime write reviews and understand what the fuck I just watched lol.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Mar 22, 4:51 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
I love "analyzing" the rule34 artworks of characters I see in anime, if you know what I mean ;))))))))))))
Mar 22, 7:40 PM

Aug 2020
Less amount but greatly understood is always better than the opposite. Still, i wouldn't call it "analyze".
Mar 23, 5:50 AM

Jan 2021
50 50 probably

unless I'm super inspired I can't just straight up jump from one show to the next
Mar 28, 3:10 PM

Nov 2017
Reply to BigBoyAdvance
I used to analyze a few shows like Evangelion, Lain, Texhnolyze. But after hours of research I always came to the same conclusions:
a) It's impossible to "figure out" the truth, as the shows are just badly written and have massive plotholes. The wikis don't explain everything either, or they blatantly state that something is not explained within the show and that there aren't sufficient clues to conjure up a sensible explanation.
b) Fandom can't agree on 1 interpretation, everyone has a different headcanon to explain stuff that happens in the shows.
c) The mystery in those shows is intentional in order to construct a contrived and pretentious feeling of intellectualism, when in reality it's just a meaningless drivel. A great majority of the audience will feel "in awe" because they didn't understand the show, and they will assume that a show is written by a genius simply because they didn't understand it. Very relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0qmkQGqpM8
d) Dimwit people feel smart by injecting their own headcanon in order to make sense of the story.

I don't waste my time analyzing shows anymore. If a show isn't naturally digestible, it's almost guaranteed to be one of those pseudo-intellectualistic pseudo-philosophical shows that bait people into believing it's a work of a great intellect, while in reality it feels like something you'd write while heavily intoxicated on some shrooms.
@BigBoyAdvance

The great intellect would be making a unique story without creating a mess and explaining it simple enough for a 6 year old to understand.
Mar 28, 4:00 PM
Aug 2016
Of course it depends on the 1) Extra Animes you watch 2) The level of analysis u do (go to deep or just something light)

I go with Analysis. If the anime deserves it, it goes with it.
I usually have watched anime just devoring and watching a lot of episodes of 1 anime if i really get into it. Howewer, that dosent let you think while you are watching, or at least, thinking and reflecting becomes more difficult.

Recently, ive been, more or less, writing: Post/Some comments in different episodes when i finish them, i think thats best. So when you end the TV Series, if you put a 6, you have "more like an argument to do that". I think thats the best way to do it. And I also enjoy analizing a lot. And trying to figure out the truth or possible outcomes that can happen. Or just reflecting on what had happened.

Howewer, if you dont want to reflect /analyze that much i guess is okay. Also, it takes a lot of time, because u have to think. Sometimes even i rewatch the episode to have things clear. I also like to analyze, because when u Post your comments when you finish an episode, u also can read what other people have posted/written. Maybe thats another option, instead of doing your own analysis, you can rely on analysis done by other people. The problem is that in the Post for each episodes, there is no much analysys. You have the Reviews, for example. Doing a good review = Difficult, but i do rely a lot on reviews.

So i agree more or less with @BigBoyAdvance (a lot) @Rineka @-Ryu @TommyAstral3 (thats my point, ANALYZING made me able to appreciate everything much more")
@Horshu I recommend you Legend of Galactic Heroes, its true a masterpiece, it can be a little bit slow at the begininng. I usually watch animes on 1,5x speed or even x2 and thats resolved. I respect that u want to watch all anime, even if its super super bad, though i dont recommend it xD. If you are a completionist, at least start from "the supposed top tier animes!!" @LSSJ_Gaming love your answer.

@Adnash I have to say i just analyze the story, the anime itself I mean. Things like who was the person who put voice to the character / if there was a manga before, i dont care that much. Howewer it is important. I will say to you that "
Adnash said:
I prefer to just watch anime and not think too much about them once I finish watching them. BUT there are exceptions
some animes, there are a lot of things to analyze, a lot of things that change or that happen, that doing an analysis only at the end tends to be insufficient. Imagine series +100 episodes. If u wait to do the analysis just at the end!! So maybe the Nº of episodes can be a variable to be taken into consideration + Good story/anime

@deg Honest opinion. Me too. But if I ask you: Why did u liked more this anime than other one? If u do the analysis, u can have rational arguments to support your rating system. Or is just, that a 9 anime got u more feeling than an 8 anime? It has to be more than "just feel more" And also, the feeling depends a lot on your own moment/watching anime. Share your thoughts! interested on ;)

@Serafos @iThink Same! I mean, i dont mind if u prefer 1 or 2. But justify it ;))

@Lawgun truee, but just try to read at least the genre or the rating, u can end watching something pretty baad ;( or just a genre u dont like that much ;)
Mar 28, 4:15 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I am not into analyzing shows I have watched, there is no point.

I watch more of course :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 29, 1:38 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to BaronLukis
Of course it depends on the 1) Extra Animes you watch 2) The level of analysis u do (go to deep or just something light)

I go with Analysis. If the anime deserves it, it goes with it.
I usually have watched anime just devoring and watching a lot of episodes of 1 anime if i really get into it. Howewer, that dosent let you think while you are watching, or at least, thinking and reflecting becomes more difficult.

Recently, ive been, more or less, writing: Post/Some comments in different episodes when i finish them, i think thats best. So when you end the TV Series, if you put a 6, you have "more like an argument to do that". I think thats the best way to do it. And I also enjoy analizing a lot. And trying to figure out the truth or possible outcomes that can happen. Or just reflecting on what had happened.

Howewer, if you dont want to reflect /analyze that much i guess is okay. Also, it takes a lot of time, because u have to think. Sometimes even i rewatch the episode to have things clear. I also like to analyze, because when u Post your comments when you finish an episode, u also can read what other people have posted/written. Maybe thats another option, instead of doing your own analysis, you can rely on analysis done by other people. The problem is that in the Post for each episodes, there is no much analysys. You have the Reviews, for example. Doing a good review = Difficult, but i do rely a lot on reviews.

So i agree more or less with @BigBoyAdvance (a lot) @Rineka @-Ryu @TommyAstral3 (thats my point, ANALYZING made me able to appreciate everything much more")
@Horshu I recommend you Legend of Galactic Heroes, its true a masterpiece, it can be a little bit slow at the begininng. I usually watch animes on 1,5x speed or even x2 and thats resolved. I respect that u want to watch all anime, even if its super super bad, though i dont recommend it xD. If you are a completionist, at least start from "the supposed top tier animes!!" @LSSJ_Gaming love your answer.

@Adnash I have to say i just analyze the story, the anime itself I mean. Things like who was the person who put voice to the character / if there was a manga before, i dont care that much. Howewer it is important. I will say to you that "
Adnash said:
I prefer to just watch anime and not think too much about them once I finish watching them. BUT there are exceptions
some animes, there are a lot of things to analyze, a lot of things that change or that happen, that doing an analysis only at the end tends to be insufficient. Imagine series +100 episodes. If u wait to do the analysis just at the end!! So maybe the Nº of episodes can be a variable to be taken into consideration + Good story/anime

@deg Honest opinion. Me too. But if I ask you: Why did u liked more this anime than other one? If u do the analysis, u can have rational arguments to support your rating system. Or is just, that a 9 anime got u more feeling than an 8 anime? It has to be more than "just feel more" And also, the feeling depends a lot on your own moment/watching anime. Share your thoughts! interested on ;)

@Serafos @iThink Same! I mean, i dont mind if u prefer 1 or 2. But justify it ;))

@Lawgun truee, but just try to read at least the genre or the rating, u can end watching something pretty baad ;( or just a genre u dont like that much ;)
@BaronLukis Hey there, thank you for your king message. I have heared alot of people talk about starting from the top tier anime, and well... I can in the challenge if you are interested you may check my bio. I am able to complete any pages I want just aslong as it is within the time frme, also I have the legends of galatic heros on my plan to watch, will get to it eventually. Thank you.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Mar 29, 10:03 AM

May 2022
I like doing both but I think I watch a lot of anime more than I analyze or research about the shows I'm watching.
Mar 29, 10:25 AM

Sep 2021
Your question is a little ambiguous. I would PREFER to simply enjoy anime, but I cannot help myself and end up over-analysing everything. I NEED to understand author's intent and little nuances not easily picked up. As a result get super frustrated with myself, because sometimes that really wrecks enjoyment... I mean, cumon, they just fictional stories!

TL;DR I analyse, but would prefer to enjoy more
~ Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows ~

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 16 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
45 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

55 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
1 minute ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

57 by shin0by »»
1 minute ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 9 hours ago

23 by tinshard »»
2 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

35 by DigiCat »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.