Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 20, 5:27 AM

Nov 2011
Man, there's a lot of feelings that went into this episode ranging from Tomozaki's development, Fuka's change, and even Mimimi.

However, this episode also focused on the festival which bought out a lot of colors into the season. Tbh, I think this episode did a decent job at building the core characters, and connecting them to their personal issues.
Mar 20, 5:51 AM

Dec 2021
Let the timeless cultural festival arc begin!

It's not about being someone to be helped; it's about wanting to help. At the end of the story, Kikuchi chose a sad conclusion. Tomozaki, sensing Kikuchi's feelings, speaks to her. He understands everything he has learned, changed, and remained the same over the past six months—all because he struggled to become a 'real life winner,' despite being a bottom-tier character. Kikuchi responds to Tomozaki's feelings and begins to consider a new outcome. Meanwhile, the practice for the comedy routine with Nanami progresses smoothly, and with various emotions in tow, the cultural festival begins.

It's true that forming connections takes effort, much like how Popol and Hinami both try hard to connect with others. But Tomozaki reminds us that we don't have to get along with everyone to enjoy life. It's taken him a while to realize this. I've loved watching Tomozaki grow since the first episode. Nanami's determination to act like she and Tomozaki are a couple, even if it's just for laughs, is cute. But Tomozaki keeps turning her down, making me worry he might reject her. Hinami's quick thinking saved the day, showing how much she cares about Tomozaki.

As for the play and what Tomozaki wants to tell Kikuchi, there's a lot to look forward to in this episode.

Mar 20, 5:51 AM

Jul 2017
With Fuka's favourite book available as an ebook, Tomozaki realized that the firelings within the story could not make friends, as contrasted to the Popple, who was doing the opposite. That then, questions her "ideal" of a world where Fuka herself tries to fit into the social game, but it's clear that she herself doesn't know what she wants to do as well. With Tomozaki correcting her thoughts that she doesn't need to fit into the social spectrum, unlike he who managed to clique with the class thanks to Aoi shoving reality at his face to play the Game of Life, everyone has different arenas for making friends, it doesn't need to be confined to school alone. And that alone, improved the script a ton by not conforming to the usual friendship standard. Though between Fuka and Minami, where does his heart lean towards, as the culture festival beckons its forthcoming.

Tomozaki has decided on who is his potential dating partner, and with that, the school festival has officially begun. Though Minami got flustered seeing Tomozaki with Mizusawa and Gumi, along with Mako and Sayaka, thinking that he stoopled low to flirt with other girls, it's not that way. With both the class play and married couple comedy act underway, expectations run high. Thankfully, Minami is the type of girl who can go with the flow, so salvaging Tomozaki's temporary loss of control comes natural.

With the class play left, who will win Tomozaki's heart...Fuka or Minami?? The winner's yet to be decided.
Mar 20, 7:28 AM

Dec 2010
Reply to KANLen09
With Fuka's favourite book available as an ebook, Tomozaki realized that the firelings within the story could not make friends, as contrasted to the Popple, who was doing the opposite. That then, questions her "ideal" of a world where Fuka herself tries to fit into the social game, but it's clear that she herself doesn't know what she wants to do as well. With Tomozaki correcting her thoughts that she doesn't need to fit into the social spectrum, unlike he who managed to clique with the class thanks to Aoi shoving reality at his face to play the Game of Life, everyone has different arenas for making friends, it doesn't need to be confined to school alone. And that alone, improved the script a ton by not conforming to the usual friendship standard. Though between Fuka and Minami, where does his heart lean towards, as the culture festival beckons its forthcoming.

Tomozaki has decided on who is his potential dating partner, and with that, the school festival has officially begun. Though Minami got flustered seeing Tomozaki with Mizusawa and Gumi, along with Mako and Sayaka, thinking that he stoopled low to flirt with other girls, it's not that way. With both the class play and married couple comedy act underway, expectations run high. Thankfully, Minami is the type of girl who can go with the flow, so salvaging Tomozaki's temporary loss of control comes natural.

With the class play left, who will win Tomozaki's heart...Fuka or Minami?? The winner's yet to be decided.
KANLen09 said:

Based on what I've seen in this episode it's going to be neither. I could read the hints wrong though.
Mar 20, 7:30 AM

Aug 2020
Its Mimimiover I guess
Mar 20, 7:39 AM

Dec 2022
In what universe is introducing someone to Twitter ever a good idea? This one, apparently.

Do you choose to improve yourself in pursuit of your own goals, or in pursuit of some generic ideal society sets for you? With all that talk last episode, I thought there would be a huge Tomozaki vs. Fuuka conflict at the end of the second season to mirror the Tomozaki vs. Aoi conflict at the end of the first. But Tomozaki came in clutch with the knowledge of Andi's novel, and Fuuka's problem got resolved much easier than expected. Good for her! No point in making friends who only accept the fake version of you.

After so much buildup, the culture festival is finally here! Despite another spaghetti moment from Tomozaki, Mimimi's manzai act sees mild success! We're headed into the finale now, and it's not looking good for best girl Mimimi! Next week!
MALoween 2023 Candy: ///
Mar 20, 8:19 AM
Jun 2023
Amazing episode!

We got Tomozaki confronting Kikuchi about the contradiction between her stated perspective and reality through her favorite book. Tomozaki also asked to talk to her after school once the play is done after a series of flashbacks of their time spent together. Shortly afterwards he tells Hinami that he has decided on a girl. Poor Mimimi witnessed at least some of Tomozaki's conversation with Kikuchi, but did she hear the last part? Or did she leave beforehand? Regardless, it seems as though she knows what decision Tomozaki will make. After successfully managing their manzai act they're talking together on the roof, and she cuts off Tomozaki when he starts talking more seriously about something. She shoos him away to help with the play and exclaims about how it's over.

All that remains for the final act is for the class to put on the play, Tomozaki to talk to Kikuchi afterwards, and whatever happens after that for the season finale. I'm pumped for the last episode and I hope everyone else is too!

Mar 20, 8:28 AM
Sep 2023
Idk about yall but I’m really hoping mimimi doesn’t get second place again 😰
Mar 20, 8:55 AM

May 2015
Curious to see Kikuchi's theater.
Mar 20, 9:16 AM
Oct 2011
Reply to talldumpling
Idk about yall but I’m really hoping mimimi doesn’t get second place again 😰
@talldumpling Best girl rarely gets picked at the end, in mediocre rom coms... This seems to be leaning towards another prove to that theory :/
Mar 20, 9:20 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its unfortunate but in reality its impossible to make friends with everyone. Still its nice seeing Tomo be able to guide Fuka on a new path. The T shirts for the class was a pretty neat idea. Always nice to see Gumi as well. For Mimimi though its one shock after another as she see's Tomo get further and further from her. Nice comeback from Mimimi during the routine though. Still really feel for Mimimi though having accepted that she has no chance.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 9:22 AM
Nov 2022
Finally it happened, even though I already knew it, it doesn't stop hurting JnsMKNKJLQAHMIEIHJ WEIJH WEF

I knew that Mimimi's defeat was inevitable, but it is still something worth highlighting. GG.

And well, Fumiya made a decision and it is clear, I would have liked a little more depth there but of course, 12 episodes are not enough for this.

There is only one episode left and this anime is over, depending on how it ends I think I already have my anime #10 that will go on my favorites list.

No!!! mimimi!!! aghgggggsagjajhouhoijmomioijo0ijarcwihjopmwer{ñear{ñwerñljk ewr{k,ewrj,oewfñañlknecjmoicrpojim{k{´p.oijn, ewpjioe foñijh AOIÑjfkl,JHhgshgfjshghFKL,lsklhodpKOJ,MC,JXSHJSSFKDJHBasl skhdKJAKJkljñokkmlmkLALÑKÑLKKLNÑKOJÑKJOOKJÑKLJjJKKLDSJKOÑASKLÑJDLKJjlkkjlñaakjkljñaokh añkj lñacñojkÑLKJ DSLKÑ MDkpj ,d,j,KJÑjalkjñasñañkñllkp´LKJPOKPOKPkppkojaokjaLKAL KJkojkkjaLÑMaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKHKLHLKÑHYñjhsajkaLJKHSK{OSñia{skjn :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
Mar 20, 9:30 AM
Oct 2022
one of the shittiest anime i've seen, literally every character is fake to their bones ...... the funniest part is that everyone knows they are fake and still keeping up the act....at this point im just watching it to see if it gets any lower...🤣🤣🤣
Mar 20, 9:53 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
I feel so bad for Mimimi. She really did her best and finally accepted the fact that Tomozaki was gonna go for Kikuchi. Even without saying it explicitly that rejection was palpable. Nonetheless from the first season we knew who he was going to choose at the festival. The question now lies on whether he'll later end up going for Aoi or not. But that'll probably come up beyond the last episode next week.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Mar 20, 10:24 AM
Sep 2023
even if it goes against the odds, i still think theres a good chance for Tomozaki to end up with Mimimi.. The chemistry they have just works too well and i think that Fuka got more attention because he's about to reject her (of course i could be dead wrong). Maybe it's just me hoping Mimimi wins because she's my favorite. Either way stage 2 is about to end and i hope it'll get a third season.
Mar 20, 10:28 AM

Feb 2019
Paused the episode several times throughout just to delay the inevitable pain.. I knew it was coming .. doesn’t make Mimimi rejection any easier 😭 the most ironic part of it is that the rooftop conversation/rejection is an example of why I think Mimimi and Tomozaki are the best couple.

The fact neither explicitly states anything, but both just understand what’s going on makes it that much more painful. They just have such a nice synergy. Opposites attract as they say and I think the opportunity for growth is the highest with her as well.. but of course, can’t have best girl winning can we..

There’s a nice little detail for people who speak Japanese where Mimimi uses “ちゃった” at the end of her sentence which indicates regret at completing an action. So while the subs translated it as “it’s over” you lose that nuance. I think most people could tell anyway from body language but still neat detail.

I did like Tomozaki’s use of Andi’s books to challenge Fuuka’s views on the world and to show her that she just has to do what she wants, not what she believes the world wants. He’s basically become to her what Aoi was to him 6 months ago and that’s some immense growth. Proud of my boy. Even though I wish he would’ve done another direction, I’m happy he did what HE wanted to do, not what the world(me) may have wanted 😂 series is getting meta.

Only one more episode left, hopefully we get a s3 announcement after next week’s ep. The play finale should be really good.

Pretty close tbf, Fly sensei art is just so good
Marinate1016Mar 20, 11:07 AM
Mar 20, 10:29 AM
Aug 2022
That whole thing on the roof felt like some kind of unspoken rejection from tomozaki, so I assume he’s choosing Fuuka. I seriously hope he doesn’t choose Hinami I’m still worried about that.

I genuinely think Fuuka is best for him, they have a great dynamic
Mar 20, 11:08 AM

Apr 2021
Personally, I think Minimi has better chemistry with Brain
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 20, 11:19 AM
Jan 2024
RIP minami tomozaki ship 💔
Mar 20, 11:22 AM
Feb 2023
I don't want this to be end for Mimimi! Like I both admire Mimimi and Fuuka, I'm really confused...
But this episode also focused on the festival which made it balanced.
Mar 20, 11:31 AM
Jan 2022
Good episode. I'm not quite sure whether I agree with Tomozaki's choice to interfere with what Kikuchi was doing. Regardless, this show's commentary on expectations vs desire, what one should do vs what one wants to do, is always quality, the best part of the show in fact. Looking forward to the final episode.
Mar 20, 12:18 PM
Dec 2012
kennypar said:
RIP minami tomozaki ship 💔

F in the chat.
I was actually shipping this heavy.
Mar 20, 12:34 PM
Senpai

May 2021
This episode was way better than the last two.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Mar 20, 1:38 PM

Dec 2012
It's Toradora all over again. Horrible girl gets chosen once again. Blue haired angel gets canned. Dislike.
Mar 20, 1:52 PM

Nov 2014
What the hell was that epic track in the beginning.
Mar 20, 2:08 PM
Aug 2016
Ever since i watched season 1, i easily understood that Fuka would be the one. Why? First, she was already interested in Fumiya, and they had a chemistry that normally leads to romance.
Gotta be honest, just like almost everyone in the comments i loved Mimimi, her personality is just what i usually adore in a fictional character and makes me enjoy a story hell more. While at the same time wasn't the same for Fuka, but whatever. In this season 2, the only thing i didn't expect was a direct confession from Mimimi.
I guess Aoi is the master, Mimimi is the bff and Fuka the (future) girlfriend. Kinda a letdown since honestly i was really interested into reading the novel, but now i have a couple of doubts. Better wait last episode, even if it's kinda obvious that he's gonna confess somehow.

PS. F in chat Mimimi bros
Mar 20, 2:27 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to postblitz
It's Toradora all over again. Horrible girl gets chosen once again. Blue haired angel gets canned. Dislike.
@postblitz Bro, in what way is Ami an "angel"??? I actually liked the dynamic between Ami and Ryuuji, but Ami is definitely no angel like Mimimi lol.

Tbf, I also wished to see what a relationship between Ami and Ryuuji would look like, but we all knew what the end game was from the start.
Mar 20, 2:52 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Hebi_op
Ever since i watched season 1, i easily understood that Fuka would be the one. Why? First, she was already interested in Fumiya, and they had a chemistry that normally leads to romance.
Gotta be honest, just like almost everyone in the comments i loved Mimimi, her personality is just what i usually adore in a fictional character and makes me enjoy a story hell more. While at the same time wasn't the same for Fuka, but whatever. In this season 2, the only thing i didn't expect was a direct confession from Mimimi.
I guess Aoi is the master, Mimimi is the bff and Fuka the (future) girlfriend. Kinda a letdown since honestly i was really interested into reading the novel, but now i have a couple of doubts. Better wait last episode, even if it's kinda obvious that he's gonna confess somehow.

PS. F in chat Mimimi bros
@Hebi_op I think the LN is better than the anime overall, but if you dislike Fuuka's character it may not be the same for you. My biggest complaint with the LN is how Tomozaki thinks of Fuuka as some otherworldly creature like a nymph or fairy all the time. There are also a ton more details that are cut out from the LN that further flesh out the characters and story better. It's those details that made me enjoy the LNs so much.

I will say that the LN is ongoing so there is plenty of time for things to change from the status quo.

As you noted, Fuuka was interested in Fumiya before he even started changing, they went on a couple of dates together, she even helped him fix his relationship with Hinami, while also accepting him for himself, and this all happened in the first season! Aoi even told him she would be the main love interest! It feels like a lot of people forgot all of that stuff when they say Fuuka has no chemistry with Tomozaki. Or that he should of chosen Mimimi. It was very much the foreshadowed outcome. Fuuka had too much of a head start over Mimimi for her to catch up. Her confession threw things for a loop for a while, but it was too little too late imo.

Anyways, I will say that the ending next week will be spectacular. Even with Mimimi taking the loss, things won't go exactly as anyone that hasn't read ahead will expect. Hopefully it reignites your interest in reading the light novels.
SeansyMar 20, 3:09 PM
Mar 20, 2:54 PM
Aug 2016
Reply to Seansy
@Hebi_op I think the LN is better than the anime overall, but if you dislike Fuuka's character it may not be the same for you. My biggest complaint with the LN is how Tomozaki thinks of Fuuka as some otherworldly creature like a nymph or fairy all the time. There are also a ton more details that are cut out from the LN that further flesh out the characters and story better. It's those details that made me enjoy the LNs so much.

I will say that the LN is ongoing so there is plenty of time for things to change from the status quo.

As you noted, Fuuka was interested in Fumiya before he even started changing, they went on a couple of dates together, she even helped him fix his relationship with Hinami, while also accepting him for himself, and this all happened in the first season! Aoi even told him she would be the main love interest! It feels like a lot of people forgot all of that stuff when they say Fuuka has no chemistry with Tomozaki. Or that he should of chosen Mimimi. It was very much the foreshadowed outcome. Fuuka had too much of a head start over Mimimi for her to catch up. Her confession threw things for a loop for a while, but it was too little too late imo.

Anyways, I will say that the ending next week will be spectacular. Even with Mimimi taking the loss, things won't go exactly as anyone that hasn't read ahead will expect. Hopefully it reignites your interest in reading the light novels.
@Seansy let's hope.
Mar 20, 3:09 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Marinate1016
Paused the episode several times throughout just to delay the inevitable pain.. I knew it was coming .. doesn’t make Mimimi rejection any easier 😭 the most ironic part of it is that the rooftop conversation/rejection is an example of why I think Mimimi and Tomozaki are the best couple.

The fact neither explicitly states anything, but both just understand what’s going on makes it that much more painful. They just have such a nice synergy. Opposites attract as they say and I think the opportunity for growth is the highest with her as well.. but of course, can’t have best girl winning can we..

There’s a nice little detail for people who speak Japanese where Mimimi uses “ちゃった” at the end of her sentence which indicates regret at completing an action. So while the subs translated it as “it’s over” you lose that nuance. I think most people could tell anyway from body language but still neat detail.

I did like Tomozaki’s use of Andi’s books to challenge Fuuka’s views on the world and to show her that she just has to do what she wants, not what she believes the world wants. He’s basically become to her what Aoi was to him 6 months ago and that’s some immense growth. Proud of my boy. Even though I wish he would’ve done another direction, I’m happy he did what HE wanted to do, not what the world(me) may have wanted 😂 series is getting meta.

Only one more episode left, hopefully we get a s3 announcement after next week’s ep. The play finale should be really good.

Pretty close tbf, Fly sensei art is just so good
@Marinate1016 I feel ya. Mimimi keeps catching Ls and it is painful. It does feel meta that so many viewers want him with Mimimi when he wants to be with Fuuka lol.

What I love about the series is how well constructed all the characters are. Under different circumstances I think Tomozaki could end end up with any of the 5 girls he spends so much time with. That's good character writing. It just so happened that the circumstances in this version of the story favored Kikuchi, at least thus far.

I'm also hoping to see a S3 announcement too. If they do, I hope they slow down the pacing with it and only adapt volume 8 and 9 for that season.
Mar 20, 3:19 PM

Feb 2019
Seansy said:
@Marinate1016 I feel ya. Mimimi keeps catching Ls and it is painful. It does feel meta that so many viewers want him with Mimimi when he wants to be with Fuuka lol.

What I love about the series is how well constructed all the characters are. Under different circumstances I think Tomozaki could end end up with any of the 5 girls he spends so much time with. That's good character writing. It just so happened that the circumstances in this version of the story favored Kikuchi, at least thus far.

I'm also hoping to see a S3 announcement too. If they do, I hope they slow down the pacing with it and only adapt volume 8 and 9 for that season.

I think the pacing was fine in this season tbh. I mean this is going to be the perfect place to stop. No way Tama arc warranted an entire season and the stuff with Erika dragged even in the books so I don’t mind them going thru that faster. The highlight of this season is the growth that Tomozaki has undergone and it’ll culminate next week
Mar 20, 3:21 PM
Feb 2024
This anime is good,these characters seem real and interesting, development is also very good. Similar to tqq im worried it might sour my memory of this show when tomozaki picks fuuka still… Team mimimi all the way but when people say this show is bad just because he picked fuuka thats just blasphemy,this show is much stronger than a romcom harem. But if they decide to throw mimimi in the trash after her getting rejected (like in pet girl sakurasou) I really will hate this show.
Mar 20, 3:43 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Marinate1016
Seansy said:

I think the pacing was fine in this season tbh. I mean this is going to be the perfect place to stop. No way Tama arc warranted an entire season and the stuff with Erika dragged even in the books so I don’t mind them going thru that faster. The highlight of this season is the growth that Tomozaki has undergone and it’ll culminate next week
@Marinate1016 I agree that speeding through the 4th and 5th volume was a smart move to spend more time with the better material in volume 6 and 7. I also think volume 7 is the perfect place to stop too. I just felt like they had to cut out too much content from the novels, mostly for volume 6 and 7, to make it all fit for a 13 episode season. I thought the season needed more of Tomozaki's thoughts and to spend a little bit more time marinating in the better moments of the show. This season wasn't badly paced or anything, I just felt it could of been better.

I also think volume 10 would be a terrible place to end a season 3, but trying to squeeze in all 4 of the remaining volumes into a 3rd season would be a disaster. There is just wayyy too much to cover to do it justice in a single 12-13 episode cour. Volume 4 and 5 were short enough on their own that with cuts they made it work in only 5 episodes. I cannot say the same with any of the next 4 volumes that have been released. Given how great the ending is in volume 9 compared to 10, I would rather they end there for season 3. That's what I meant about the slowing down the pacing for a 3rd season. If the options are animating 2, 3, or 4 volumes for season 3, my pick is to do 2, and either shorten it down to 10 episodes or mix in a side story or two with the main story.

Does that make sense?
Mar 20, 3:57 PM
Aug 2017
I'm so sad for Minami 💔
Mar 20, 4:33 PM

Oct 2014
And with that unspoken rejection, i will likely drop this anime after the next episode even if there is a S3 announcement.

Atleast we have the manga where mimimi is atleast happy in a parallel universe as it sucks always being number 2.

I loved the self improvement side of the story but the complicated love triangle/polygon is not my cup of tea.
Mar 20, 5:07 PM

Aug 2014
THEY CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Mar 20, 5:14 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Glad things with Kikuchi were wrapped up nicely with Tomozaki using a book she referenced to help show her that she’s wrong about the world wanting her to change, it’s a bit of a different way to look at changing yourself, and in this case Kikuchi is fine the way she is, at least that’s what I got from it, I’m sure I could go into more detail but others have probably already done that for me lol. And then it was time for the cultural festival at last, what we’ve been building up to for the hottest of minutes, and before any of the big events even kicked off we got that funny bit where Mimimi was shocked at Tomozaki going to another school to flirt lol, loved that reaction, Tomozaki couldn’t talk his way out of that one.

And then it was time for the comedy routine, and it went well at first until Tomozaki forgot a line, and yeah I felt that 2nd hand embarrassment lol, but thankfully Mimimi went in for the save which allowed Tomozaki to pick things back up. And afterward on the rooftop we had one last scene between Mimimi and Tomozaki before he went off to the play, and man, I know technically Mimimi hasn’t been rejected yet but I can feel it in my bones that she won’t win, I think from the start I knew she wouldn’t but I kept dreaming lol. Now if Tomozaki somehow doesn’t confess to Kikuchi next episode and instead goes back to Mimimi I will be very pleasantly surprised, but I think it seems clear enough unfortunately lol, but I am happy for Kikuchi if this is the case, I like her a lot too after all, or perhaps he might even choose no one, I can see that too. Also nice new ED visuals with the characters wearing the festival shirts, cool touch.

And we got one episode left of this Season 2 which feels like I waited so long for, that’s just how it goes tho, it’s been fun once again just like in 2021.
TheColonel76Mar 20, 5:21 PM
Mar 20, 5:34 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to sloth848
This anime is good,these characters seem real and interesting, development is also very good. Similar to tqq im worried it might sour my memory of this show when tomozaki picks fuuka still… Team mimimi all the way but when people say this show is bad just because he picked fuuka thats just blasphemy,this show is much stronger than a romcom harem. But if they decide to throw mimimi in the trash after her getting rejected (like in pet girl sakurasou) I really will hate this show.
@sloth848 Nah, the author would never do the characters dirty like that. He loves them all too much for that to happen. If anyone checks his Twitter account they will see for themselves. His reaction to Mimimi's confession being animated was hilarious. Just spamming MIMIMIMIMI in all caps indefinitely until his character limit ran out lol.

I will say that there is plenty of other conflict the characters go through, including Mimimi with Tomozaki, but it is well executed imo. Nobody is thrown in the trash.

I agree that it is super frustrating to read so many comments from people flaming the series just because Tomozaki picked Fuuka. It was heavily foreshadowed since early in season 1. The signs were all there. That's why so many people were uneasy about her chances despite hoping for a different outcome.

It is also worth mentioning that the series is ongoing so nobody knows what the real end game is besides the author. Most relationships end in failure. Especially so in high school. Hinami wasn't making that up in reference to Nakamura and Izumi getting together and potentially staying together beyond high school. People need to just enjoy the ride.
Mar 20, 6:10 PM
Jul 2022
Good episode! Nice to see Fuuka develop as a character and Tomozaki help her realise she doesn't need to 'Fit-in'. Feel sorry For Mimimi though, maybe it was the hair colour T^T
Mar 20, 7:07 PM
Aug 2017
I've known all along what the very ending for this season is (is it even a spoiler anymore when half the comments just openly state it?), but it's been a while so I forgot the how we actually get there part. Got impatient and just reread the end of the LN the anime is on and oh boy, if they adapt the last episode faithfully, people (especially the Crunchyroll comments section) are gonna lose their minds next week.
Mar 20, 7:46 PM
Dec 2014
This week, Mimimi comes to terms with always being second place. In other news, I drop the series because wow, the author couldn't have screwed up an obvious pairing even worse. We thought Kiishimoto was terrible at writing female characters and pairings? At least Kishimoto has the shallow excuse of it being shounen, ergo the emphasis isn't on romance. But this is Yuki Yaku's freaking niche! Okay, enough whining.

The Good

-Tomozaki makes a good point about not being friends with everyone. I would say that was his only good point during that scene. As someone who dabbles in clinical psychology (mostly research to sort my own mental stuff out), it's actually better to set smaller goals for bigger changes we want to see in ourselves. I think him telling Kikuchi that it's fine to stay the same rather than addressing what parts do bother her enough to change, it's incredibly shallow advice.

-Find yourself a Mimimi to marry and a Mizusawa to befriend. This is life advice. Mizusawa can wingman you through anything and Mimimi can carry you when you stumble. It also helps that both are pretty insightful.

-Mimimi taking the L. I love this girl for that reason right there. She knows how to lose, but also how to handle herself in situations where most of us would immediately act on our own feelings. She has confidence and self-respect enough to let things go.

-"There's those non-compliments again." Mizusawa has a cameo and makes it count. Goddamn, his VA could sell me pencil shavings. The VA is Nobunaga Shimazaki btw. Some of his other roles include Baki Hanma from Baki, Seishirou Nagi from Blue Lock, the Previous Student Council President from Kaguya-sama, and... Mahito... from Jujutsu Kaisen. Why Shimazaki!

The Bad

-To put my armchair psychology degree to use (acquired at the University of Reddit), Tomozaki's advice is fine... to a degree. The issue is that Kikuchi clearly feels at odds with her place in the world and rather than encouraging her to address it in a meaningful way, the author instead disregards the last two arcs once again and has him insist she's fine not changing. Yes, because that won't lead to years of resentment between them. JFC. Someone find me a dolphin to punch.

-As for this romance, I just... why. Kikuchi offers nothing except convenience. She's submissive as Hell, has no physical appeal aside not being attractive enough to notice, and lacks the confidence to do anything of merit. A school play is not something of merit btw. It's a common enough thing in the real world. I will say that writing an anthology isn't that impressive either, especially nowadays. Unfortunately, the threshold between "legitimate talent" and "published author" is narrow enough nowadays that anyone could do it in practice, but in terms of general relevance, you have to be doing something exceptional to get noticed. Even then, it's a matter of luck. So, y'know, once that fails, Tomozaki can finish crushing her self-worth into dust. Why are we cheering for this guy again? Oh, right. He was a great character up to this point. JFC.

-The author really wanted fans to drop the series with all that Mimimi suffering, huh? I haven't seen someone put that much effort into spitting in the faces of their fans since... Domestic Girlfriend? Re:Re? Do Japanese authors just hate their readers or something?

-Mimimi losing at all. Not only has the chemistry been there, but a majority of the screentime shared with Tomozaki has been on further developing their relationship. It feels so half-baked to swerve at the last moment. I know someone else mentioned that Kikuchi had just as much time with Tomozaki in the LN and how it couldn't be put into the anime, which is a stupid take. It's up to the director what scenes make it. If making us dislike Hinami wasn't part of the plan, remove her stuff in favor of Kikuchi. It's very clear that even the director and storyboard crew weren't enthused about this crap pairing and just wanted to appreciate best girl more, even if it meant intensifying her suffering.

-I'M STILL ANGRY AT YOU FOR VOICING MAHITO, SHIMAZAKI. DON'T THINK YOU CAN SWAY ME WITH YOUR PRETTY WORDS.

-Hanami wins the award for Most Likely to Murder in the scene before Tomomimi's comedy routine. I was waiting for her to lean in real close to Kikuchi and whisper "if I somehow look bad, Tomozaki won't need to worry about breaking Mimimi's heart."

"Thorkell has no resistance to getting kicked in the f-in head. To be honest, neither do I." -Captain Mack

"You've faced many life-and-death situations. But that does not make you an adult. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite stuffed-bread disappear from the convenience store... the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult."-Nanami Kento
Mar 20, 8:08 PM

May 2016
Even though I know how this is going to play out, it still hurts to see Best Girl shut down...... :( I just hope Fumiya's confession next ep will be a good one, and justified in the scope of the anime.
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Mar 20, 8:27 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to The_Wicker_Man
I've known all along what the very ending for this season is (is it even a spoiler anymore when half the comments just openly state it?), but it's been a while so I forgot the how we actually get there part. Got impatient and just reread the end of the LN the anime is on and oh boy, if they adapt the last episode faithfully, people (especially the Crunchyroll comments section) are gonna lose their minds next week.
@The_Wicker_Man People are already losing their shit from just this episode. The comments sections next week will be insane.
Mar 20, 9:00 PM

Jul 2022
I get the feeling it's neither of the two "options," since a few episodes ago Tomozaki said that he doesn't want to treat a relationship like a milestone or something to check off of a list. Also, there was some pretty heavy-handed (imo) foreshadowing in this episode about what's going to happen in the end.
Mar 20, 9:09 PM
Dec 2014
Reply to Warchiii
I get the feeling it's neither of the two "options," since a few episodes ago Tomozaki said that he doesn't want to treat a relationship like a milestone or something to check off of a list. Also, there was some pretty heavy-handed (imo) foreshadowing in this episode about what's going to happen in the end.
@warchilll A flashback sequence and Tomozaki asking to see Kikuchi after the play is pretty obvious foreshadowing if you're even partly familiar with anime in general.
"Thorkell has no resistance to getting kicked in the f-in head. To be honest, neither do I." -Captain Mack

"You've faced many life-and-death situations. But that does not make you an adult. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite stuffed-bread disappear from the convenience store... the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult."-Nanami Kento
Mar 20, 10:28 PM

Jul 2021
just one more episode left. i hope this gets green lit for a third season. the chances seem high definitely seeing how they brought back season 2 after such long after season 1 finished.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 20, 11:02 PM
Jan 2022
Reply to Lampblasted
In what universe is introducing someone to Twitter ever a good idea? This one, apparently.

Do you choose to improve yourself in pursuit of your own goals, or in pursuit of some generic ideal society sets for you? With all that talk last episode, I thought there would be a huge Tomozaki vs. Fuuka conflict at the end of the second season to mirror the Tomozaki vs. Aoi conflict at the end of the first. But Tomozaki came in clutch with the knowledge of Andi's novel, and Fuuka's problem got resolved much easier than expected. Good for her! No point in making friends who only accept the fake version of you.

After so much buildup, the culture festival is finally here! Despite another spaghetti moment from Tomozaki, Mimimi's manzai act sees mild success! We're headed into the finale now, and it's not looking good for best girl Mimimi! Next week!
@Lampblasted I really feel bad for mimimi always looses
Mar 20, 11:10 PM
Jan 2022
Reply to SentiOnikawa
This week, Mimimi comes to terms with always being second place. In other news, I drop the series because wow, the author couldn't have screwed up an obvious pairing even worse. We thought Kiishimoto was terrible at writing female characters and pairings? At least Kishimoto has the shallow excuse of it being shounen, ergo the emphasis isn't on romance. But this is Yuki Yaku's freaking niche! Okay, enough whining.

The Good

-Tomozaki makes a good point about not being friends with everyone. I would say that was his only good point during that scene. As someone who dabbles in clinical psychology (mostly research to sort my own mental stuff out), it's actually better to set smaller goals for bigger changes we want to see in ourselves. I think him telling Kikuchi that it's fine to stay the same rather than addressing what parts do bother her enough to change, it's incredibly shallow advice.

-Find yourself a Mimimi to marry and a Mizusawa to befriend. This is life advice. Mizusawa can wingman you through anything and Mimimi can carry you when you stumble. It also helps that both are pretty insightful.

-Mimimi taking the L. I love this girl for that reason right there. She knows how to lose, but also how to handle herself in situations where most of us would immediately act on our own feelings. She has confidence and self-respect enough to let things go.

-"There's those non-compliments again." Mizusawa has a cameo and makes it count. Goddamn, his VA could sell me pencil shavings. The VA is Nobunaga Shimazaki btw. Some of his other roles include Baki Hanma from Baki, Seishirou Nagi from Blue Lock, the Previous Student Council President from Kaguya-sama, and... Mahito... from Jujutsu Kaisen. Why Shimazaki!

The Bad

-To put my armchair psychology degree to use (acquired at the University of Reddit), Tomozaki's advice is fine... to a degree. The issue is that Kikuchi clearly feels at odds with her place in the world and rather than encouraging her to address it in a meaningful way, the author instead disregards the last two arcs once again and has him insist she's fine not changing. Yes, because that won't lead to years of resentment between them. JFC. Someone find me a dolphin to punch.

-As for this romance, I just... why. Kikuchi offers nothing except convenience. She's submissive as Hell, has no physical appeal aside not being attractive enough to notice, and lacks the confidence to do anything of merit. A school play is not something of merit btw. It's a common enough thing in the real world. I will say that writing an anthology isn't that impressive either, especially nowadays. Unfortunately, the threshold between "legitimate talent" and "published author" is narrow enough nowadays that anyone could do it in practice, but in terms of general relevance, you have to be doing something exceptional to get noticed. Even then, it's a matter of luck. So, y'know, once that fails, Tomozaki can finish crushing her self-worth into dust. Why are we cheering for this guy again? Oh, right. He was a great character up to this point. JFC.

-The author really wanted fans to drop the series with all that Mimimi suffering, huh? I haven't seen someone put that much effort into spitting in the faces of their fans since... Domestic Girlfriend? Re:Re? Do Japanese authors just hate their readers or something?

-Mimimi losing at all. Not only has the chemistry been there, but a majority of the screentime shared with Tomozaki has been on further developing their relationship. It feels so half-baked to swerve at the last moment. I know someone else mentioned that Kikuchi had just as much time with Tomozaki in the LN and how it couldn't be put into the anime, which is a stupid take. It's up to the director what scenes make it. If making us dislike Hinami wasn't part of the plan, remove her stuff in favor of Kikuchi. It's very clear that even the director and storyboard crew weren't enthused about this crap pairing and just wanted to appreciate best girl more, even if it meant intensifying her suffering.

-I'M STILL ANGRY AT YOU FOR VOICING MAHITO, SHIMAZAKI. DON'T THINK YOU CAN SWAY ME WITH YOUR PRETTY WORDS.

-Hanami wins the award for Most Likely to Murder in the scene before Tomomimi's comedy routine. I was waiting for her to lean in real close to Kikuchi and whisper "if I somehow look bad, Tomozaki won't need to worry about breaking Mimimi's heart."

@SentiOnikawa Same thing made me hate sakura but that was side character. Here main character is doing the same that made me drop this anime.
Mar 20, 11:27 PM
Jan 2022
Is there I am the only one who feels bad for mimimi or the world has gone blind I just don't know. In first season I wanted him to be with Aoi Hinami, But after watching almost 12ep of second season mimimi is the best girl with good chemistry and all. But the author have messed up now. It was my best anime when I saw the first season. It had had really a good connection with me. I was really looking forward for this season but now I am dropping this anime not going to watch 13ep now. I watch anime for fun and this is not fun that's all.

Mar 20, 11:32 PM

Jul 2022
Reply to SentiOnikawa
@warchilll A flashback sequence and Tomozaki asking to see Kikuchi after the play is pretty obvious foreshadowing if you're even partly familiar with anime in general.
@SentiOnikawa It's not really foreshadowing when it's as in-your-face as that scene was. I may be overthinking it, but it feels more like the audience is getting set up for a twist. Especially since everyone's attention seems to be firmly fixed on Mimimi and/or Kikuchi at this point. In any case, the Kikuchi scene is not what I was referencing...

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14

53 by lasodamos »»
May 5, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

141 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 5, 5:57 AM

» Is Aoi the end game?

Dragevard - Feb 9, 2023

12 by Mreci1 »»
May 4, 12:00 PM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 31

63 by lasodamos »»
May 3, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun 2nd Stage Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 10

81 by Talamare »»
Apr 19, 1:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.