Forum Settings
Forums

Crunchyroll CEO Says A.I. Generated Subtitles Are "Definitely an Area We're Focused On"

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 29, 3:32 PM

Dec 2021
Crunchyroll is just going to have their translators check the AI for accuracy. The translators will have to check the accuracy of the AI by... listening to the OG. The translators will then change the parts of the AI translation that they don't like, resulting in a product that is fundamentally the same as before. The AI revolution will be nothing more than a circle in animeland, me thinks.
Feb 29, 3:35 PM

Jan 2018
Machine translations are usually incomprehensible mess, but of course most anime fans will accept them just like eroge crowd did.
Feb 29, 5:51 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to ColourWheel
@Lucifrost

Never said anyone was suggesting anything either. The statement was to simply point it out.

Though the key word I used was "usually" and it was in the context of foreign films and TV world wide not just Japanese Anime which is why I mentioned them in the 1st place. Simply listing two Anime franchises is more of an outlier than adhering to standard practice where these examples to my understanding only happened because they were originally dubbed specifically to air on platforms where the main target audience were children and kids.
@ColourWheel
Would you mind providing examples of translations that erased woke content without backlash? Or any example of a trans character changed to cis, because I don't think I've ever encountered that.
その目だれの目?
Feb 29, 5:53 PM

Feb 2021
DaCraziGuy said:
I think you didn't even watched a show old enough to know what I was talking about, lol
I've watched old shows with fansubs, yes they are different, but not without some localization.
Feb 29, 6:06 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to DaCraziGuy
@LSSJ_Gaming you are still talking about official translations.

Things like sama, kun and all those stuff are ommited now, also some japanese words that only exist in their language aren't kept. Hell, even the order of first and last name are changed. All those small stuff used to exist and even explained. Jokes were kept as they were and the order of the sentences weren't changed for no reason like now.

@DaCraziGuy

No matter what you are doing in a translation, it is still inherently localized even if you keep in thing like honorifics, because inherently in the process of translation you are changing things. The act of changing one langauge to another is making it understandable to some extent to a new audience therefore falling under the direct definition of localization even if they choose to leave in certain terminology or phrases untranslated. This applies to official translations and fan translations alike. There is no such thing as an "unlocalized translation" as it is an inherent contradiction
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Feb 29, 6:08 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Piromysl
"Localizers" losing their jobs is always something to celebrate.
@Piromysl

imagine being so afraid of translators that you become a corporate bootlicker. You anti-woke mfs are truly insane
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Feb 29, 6:10 PM

Jul 2015
LSSJ_Gaming said:
@Piromysl

imagine being so afraid of translators that you become a corporate bootlicker. You anti-woke mfs are truly insane

No, Mr Strawman. It's always nice to see someone who enjoys vandalizing your hobby getting fired.
Now, it is pretty clear that you started projecting here for some twisted attempt at cope after being upset, because someone clearly here is bootlicking and it ain't me.

Feb 29, 10:25 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
@ColourWheel
Would you mind providing examples of translations that erased woke content without backlash? Or any example of a trans character changed to cis, because I don't think I've ever encountered that.
Lucifrost said:
@ColourWheel

I already said before I don't know specific names of any titles but it's been done where characters are changed to appease the target audience. I will simply try to do my best to try to help you understand. In regards to TV and films there are countless instances in a place like Thailand where a few TV shows which were originally suppose to cast characters that were not cis gender had their characters changed specifically to appease the target audience during pre-production. The only reason I specifically know this is because I know someone who use to work in TV production in Thailand during the 70s and 80s who would tell me stories like these. This also applied to elements of a characters sexual orientation in their media entertainment were usually suppressed when such a thing was never an important part of a story. No backlash occurs simply because unless you were an insider no one would know any better. So you can only imagine the kind of changes that would be made to imported foreign media there. Such practices are not simply unique to just a place like Thailand either. Such practices would be used in many Asian countries from South Korea to China. While not technically part of Asia most notably the Russian Entertainment industry does not tolerate inclusion of sexual minorities in their general media entertainment.

In films across the world similar practices have been done for stories that have been pitched to be produced where they would specifically change a characters original gender to even their original race simply to have an interesting story just to get produced. Of course this goes both ways.

One specific example that comes to mind is a Hollywood film called "21" where they changed the lead characters race from people who were suppose to be Asian in the story to white Caucasians. Oddly the only time such a thing is an outrage is when a character is originally perceived as Caucasian in a story then is casted by someone who is not. I can't name specific examples off the top of my head but in recent history there is always outrage by this particular thing happening in Disney movies. Audiences suddenly become "hyper sensitive" when this thing happens.

In the pre-production of "Game of thrones" there were several examples of characters whose genders were swapped at the last minute. Most notably the character played by Birgitte Hjort Sorensen where her character was originally suppose to be a male character in the story.

Other times changes to stories can be less than subtle where in Hollywood movies involving "woke content" such as in "Romeo Must Die" where they omitted a scene where the two main characters Jet Li and Aaliyah were suppose to kiss. This was an extremely racist move done by the producers where you don't hear about it because no one ever knew it was suppose to be apart of the original story.

If this sort of thing was common practice in just Hollywood alone you can only imagine the changes that would be made behind the scenes if trans genders characters are pitched only to be suppressed simply to appease an audience.
ColourWheelMar 1, 1:15 AM
Feb 29, 11:10 PM

Jun 2017
All according to keikaku.

YouTube auto-generated captions are trash and this will also be that. Context matters.
Feb 29, 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
might as well add dubtitles because at least there localisers and translators have a general idea of the context and have watched the episode multiple times
Feb 29, 11:42 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to removed-user
might as well add dubtitles because at least there localisers and translators have a general idea of the context and have watched the episode multiple times
@petran79

Or even better it should be common practice to add romaji subs for all anime for those who understand Japanese but are not literate in reading Hiragana, katakana, or even kanji. Which would be a perfect job for AI if all they are doing is repeating in text what is actually being spoken.
ColourWheelFeb 29, 11:50 PM
Mar 1, 12:08 AM
Jan 2024
idk they dont even stream that much anime in a season that they cant do it manually but if simul sub are made possible then it will be a great addition
Mar 1, 12:36 AM

Jun 2008
Can't say I find this surprising. =_=
Mar 1, 1:11 AM

Feb 2023
Crunchyroll regularly has a problem with not being able to release all the subtitles for new episodes on time. It's not that big of a problem, but it's noticeable that they're struggling to deliver the subtitles. I suspect that this is the reason why they're experimenting with AI tools.

I highly doubt that Crunchyroll will implement this if it has the quality of auto-subtitles on YouTube, so I'm not really concerned (and if the quality does get much worse, I hope the outcry about it will be big enough for them to change it back). They probably won't have to make the entire process automated since they're only working on a couple of episodes at a time. There should be enough room in the localisation process for some humans in key positions to improve the results.

Looking forward to see what they're able to accomplish. Hopefully the only change will be that they no longer hold back episodes or release them without having subtitles ready for all languages. 😅
Mar 1, 2:07 AM

May 2018
Reply to Piromysl
LSSJ_Gaming said:
@Piromysl

No, Mr Strawman. It's always nice to see someone who enjoys vandalizing your hobby getting fired.
Now, it is pretty clear that you started projecting here for some twisted attempt at cope after being upset, because someone clearly here is bootlicking and it ain't me.
@Piromysl
This. As a management myself in an organization/company, if you are incompetent in your job, I will just fired my subordinate(and I don't care if you ended up in street) and localizer has demonstrate they are incompetent in their job and deserved to be fired. Good thing company has fired woke localizer.

Mar 1, 7:14 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to ColourWheel
@petran79

Or even better it should be common practice to add romaji subs for all anime for those who understand Japanese but are not literate in reading Hiragana, katakana, or even kanji. Which would be a perfect job for AI if all they are doing is repeating in text what is actually being spoken.
@ColourWheel
Is this meant as sarcasm? There isn't anybody who understands romaji and spoken Japanese but not kana, because it would mean they learned Japanese wrong. If you're actually serious, don't bother trying to tell me you know someone like that. That person should just learn the few dozen kana, which are easier to learn than endless amounts of spoken vocabulary and grammar.
その目だれの目?
Mar 1, 7:19 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to removed-user
@petran79
This is a major reason I'm inclined to trust such translations over conventional subs, even when the dub takes liberties with the story.
その目だれの目?
Mar 1, 7:40 AM

Jun 2019
I doubt that Crunchyrollingonthefloor's subtitles can get much worse. The French subtitles are more often than not an uncanny mix of obscure slang and obvious mistranslations. At least we are not plagued with internet slang as in the English sub... But one should not expect much from people who have translated ワノ国 as they would have translated 和の國 (Pays des Wa instead of Wano Country). There is probably a play by Oda in the country's name, but the translation is still wrong and would make most sentences sound awkward in the dub.
Mar 1, 8:12 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to Lucifrost
@ColourWheel
Is this meant as sarcasm? There isn't anybody who understands romaji and spoken Japanese but not kana, because it would mean they learned Japanese wrong. If you're actually serious, don't bother trying to tell me you know someone like that. That person should just learn the few dozen kana, which are easier to learn than endless amounts of spoken vocabulary and grammar.
@Lucifrost he was probably referring to himself - he claims to be fluent in the language ("I actually understand Japanese") despite not being able to read it. romaji is garbage. i wish they would add proper Japanese subs like it's done for some anime on TVer, but i digress

You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Mar 1, 8:25 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to DreamingBeats
@Lucifrost he was probably referring to himself - he claims to be fluent in the language ("I actually understand Japanese") despite not being able to read it. romaji is garbage. i wish they would add proper Japanese subs like it's done for some anime on TVer, but i digress

@DreamingBeats

While I am not proud about this @Dreamingbeats is correct I am practically illiterate when reading Hiragana, katakana, and kanji. It's due to my own rare situation and circumstances growing up in a family where my parents would frequently take them with me to Japan during missionary work from South Korea. I have basically had no formal education to learn the language.

Though I would contest that I am not alone in such a situation. I am sure even if it's an extreme minority of people that there are likely others with similar life experiences being exposed to grow up around people who speak Japanese who to have never been formally taught the language written.

Though even if romaji subs were offered I would probably not use them myself. The comment was actually partly sarcastic because I wouldn't want AI to take over the jobs of real people and what better way to put AI to use than to do something as robotic as farting out direct translations in romaji. lol
Mar 1, 8:31 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to ColourWheel
@DreamingBeats

While I am not proud about this @Dreamingbeats is correct I am practically illiterate when reading Hiragana, katakana, and kanji. It's due to my own rare situation and circumstances growing up in a family where my parents would frequently take them with me to Japan during missionary work from South Korea. I have basically had no formal education to learn the language.

Though I would contest that I am not alone in such a situation. I am sure even if it's an extreme minority of people that there are likely others with similar life experiences being exposed to grow up around people who speak Japanese who to have never been formally taught the language written.

Though even if romaji subs were offered I would probably not use them myself. The comment was actually partly sarcastic because I wouldn't want AI to take over the jobs of real people and what better way to put AI to use than to do something as robotic as farting out direct translations in romaji. lol
@ColourWheel I mean, there's nothing stopping you from learning the language. And if you are already fluent in Korean, assuming you grew up in S Korea, then it should be relatively easy for you to learn (relative to others). The grammar and even some vocabulary are very similar. The one caveat is that some phonemes in Japanese don't exist in Korean language.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Mar 1, 8:40 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to DreamingBeats
@ColourWheel I mean, there's nothing stopping you from learning the language. And if you are already fluent in Korean, assuming you grew up in S Korea, then it should be relatively easy for you to learn (relative to others). The grammar and even some vocabulary are very similar. The one caveat is that some phonemes in Japanese don't exist in Korean language.
@DreamingBeats

Believe me I have had opportunities in the past and have tried to make some efforts but simply had to keep putting them on hold due to issues from work and family. My wife tried to start helping me learn at least more hiragana in her free time about a half a decade ago but that had to stop due to her own career where she basically travels around the world regularly and I only get to see her a few times a month. Which pretty much is spent most of the time in a romantic nature when she is home.

Honestly I might look into it again soon before I get too old since my 50s are literally just around the corner for me and it was something I added to my mental bucket list to eventually accomplish in my life.
Mar 1, 8:59 AM

Nov 2022
its so over. this is going to be low quality and a load of shit. ai has really not impressed me at all recently and seeing this makes me sad. whilst im not a huge crunchyroll person, this inspires me even more to pirate.

Mar 2, 12:13 AM

May 2021
If this actually got commenced, I will be mad. As someone who learns Japanese, AI can never depict the nuances right and I don't want people to not get the actual meaning of what they're saying.

𝑇𝐼𝑃𝑆 𝐼𝑁 𝐺𝐼𝑁𝑇𝐴𝑀𝐴
- NOT your usual shounen anime
- Pure comedy? DEAD WRONG
- Treat Gintama as SoL/weekly sitcom especially earlier seasons
- Ep 1 & 2 are for manga readers
- BIG patience for its 'slow' start

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - Apr 26

7 by ST63LTH »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 3 )

Catalano - Apr 25

146 by -DxP- »»
2 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

68 by Eleben »»
3 minutes ago

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Apr 28

63 by ST63LTH »»
4 minutes ago

» Are there Anime Industry People you hate like Voice Actor, Director, etc?

Dragevard - Apr 28

21 by Eleben »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.