Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 8:29 AM

Dec 2021
Shizuma has someone he can truly call a close friend now.

After the commotion caused by Chindai, Shizuma and Hidenobu became close. On the other hand, during the turmoil when Chindai attacked the garrison in resentment against the police, Kyoushirou, who came to their aid, is revealed to be Soichiro Ikegami from the former Shonai domain. Meanwhile, Toshiyoshi learns this information.

At that time, Shizuma and Hidenobu apprehend a second-hand clothing store that sells clothes stripped from corpses. The store claims to have only received the bodies from the Hunter's Club. Seeking clues, the two visit a warehouse where the second-hand clothing store frequented. There, they discover that the owner, Zenbei, is the leader of the Hunter's Club, an organization that kidnaps people for the thrill of the hunt. Zenbei pressured investigation and forced the authorities to abandon the case, manipulating it to his advantage.

Enraged, Shizuma, along with Hidenobu, decides to pursue Zenbei without official approval.

Jan 28, 9:25 AM
Aug 2020
a nother great episode

hard to keep their head...

the story is interesting...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 28, 10:03 AM

Mar 2013
Oh, look, Aku Soku Zan man is here. And still a heavy smoker.
Jan 28, 4:56 PM

Jul 2021
Another episode with really interesting worldbuilding, but pretty mediocre drama and characters.

A mysterious swordsman climbing the ranks of the yakuza with overwhelming force. A warrior who's gone insane now hunting people for sport. A dying geisha in search of revenge against him. Government cover-up in the name of stability that goes all the way to the top.

All great stuff, but I'm just not very invested in any of these people. The best I can muster is, "oh that's pretty cool". And I feel bad about it. I can feel the creators love the setting and want to tell an ambitious epic story, doing the best they can with the resources they have.
Jan 28, 11:35 PM

Jul 2008
Some police force, they are as corrupt as everyone else.
Jan 29, 12:24 AM

Jul 2017
The underlying plot of geishas being brutally killed otherwise, Shizuma is back trying to find his wife Sumie, though they crossed their way with one not knowing the wiser. Once again, he and Osanai discover clothing from dead maidens whch were sold by the second-hand clothes seller Rokuzou, that was certainly a cause for investigation. That organized crime done by a group of people, the police find links to even more people, which of that one goverment merchant by the name of Kuramoto Masaomi parading as Kuraya Zenbei, he's also the target of Hinazume, which she can exact her revenge.

The Metropolitan PD's investigation into the serial hunting club, Kuraya with Councilor Kido Tobayashi to bend the rules while Ohkubo is out of commission, word got out of Etou Shinpei's escape enough to warrant their attention, and that does not stop Kuraya from continuing his dastardly act. Shizuma, clearly discontent with the situation, thankfully, got the insider tip of the location of his hiding house, so everything's A-OK. On the other hand, Shuragami acting on behalf of the Moriya Clan to collect taxes from foreigners, he does this with ease. Both Shizuma and Osanai faing Kuraya and his men alone, it's thanks to Kawaji contacting Ohkubo to resume the investigation into Kuraya, though it's Hirazume who dealt the finishing blow after his arrest, and Fujita ridding the remnants of the hunter club.

There a whole lot story lore, but the drama is rather unrefined.
Jan 29, 7:03 AM

Jun 2019
I thought we had wandered into a side story of an alternate universe's Japanese answer to Zaroff and The Most Dangerous Game (Just looked this up and it's a weird coincidence that the original short story was published almost exactly 100 years ago, on January 19th, 1924).

At first I thought the Hunter's club had some greater political goal in mind but by the end it seemed decidedly apolitical, and if it ever started out as a political organization, clearly devolved and degenerated into a physical-pleasure seeking gang getting off on sadism.

This continues to be a pretty great and underrated show. Glad I picked it up and as usual ignored the MAL rating and distinct lack of preceding buzz and fanfare. I'm invested moreso in the story and setting themselves than the characters, as I saw some comment here and elsewhere when voicing one gripe about the series, but honestly that's not uncommon for Historical series in general in my experience, anime or not. Watching this really brings me back to when I first started to get really interested in various different areas of history on an obsessive level in middle school and into high school, and how I would just seek out Historical genre stuff in abundance then in whatever form it came. Besides documentaries, Historical genre was my bread and butter for a long time. And just seeing any characters navigate all the intricacies and complexities of a world I had hitherto mostly only read about on the page in textbooks or on the internet at that point was so mesmerizing.

I especially appreciate how the series doesn't seem to shy away from showing the real brutality of the period and the type of people forged as local legends in times of war, nor of jumping around a bit to different storylines to give us a wide eagle's eye view of the post-war society's transformation at the legal level, political level, how it affects ordinary people, etc. In some series I think that broader view is a detriment to character-focused development and intimacy with the perspective of a smaller cast of main characters, but here I think it works well enough, again, for a series which seems to be leaning into the strength of its plot and setting more than characters. And one which seems more in line with those chaotic sweeping period pieces I referenced above.
WatchTillTandavaJan 29, 9:23 PM
Jan 29, 11:21 AM

Nov 2011
Now we get Gorou Fujita, nice. :) Cheering for him. Not very appealing tho xp

I love the setting, but then suddenly comes this girl with sailor-like uniform, necklace with cross and fancy hair pins. xP Nope! More Meiji, plox! :3
Jan 29, 12:47 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So the Hunter's Club were a group of soldiers that kidnapped and killed people on the battlefield for fun during the Boshin war. Now they secretly kidnap and kill random people during the peaceful Meji Era. I guess Hinazume finally got a chance to exact her revenge after Shizuma rescued her sister.
Jan 29, 12:50 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to AddaeAkono
So the Hunter's Club were a group of soldiers that kidnapped and killed people on the battlefield for fun during the Boshin war. Now they secretly kidnap and kill random people during the peaceful Meji Era. I guess Hinazume finally got a chance to exact her revenge after Shizuma rescued her sister.
@AddaeAkono, he met her at the end. Shizuma simply didn't recognize her. And Koume also didn't recognize Shizuma.
Jan 29, 7:13 PM

May 2015
I love a violent period piece, but this is just kinda awful
Feb 5, 3:32 PM

Feb 2012
The police uncover a ring of "hunters" still bloodthirsty from the war. A Samurai is a Samurai until death, right?
I like how Ōkubo looks as he does in photos post-restoration but no one writing historical fiction agrees on what Goro Fujita looked like in his 30s lol
What he'll look like in 23 years
Shizuma and Sumie could be passing each other without noticing. So the Geisha making the origami rabbits in Tokyo isn't Sumie in disguise/amnesia. But she may have came to know her after Shizuma was separated from ther.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 11, 3:43 PM

Nov 2016
Sumie got her revenge and Shizuma was so close to her. I actually like the story. One of the rare cases where I'm kinda hooked despite the dull directing and presentation.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 28, 12:32 AM

Oct 2013
Kuraya and his cursed group... Blood maniacs. Good that they were taken care of, no matter who and how did this. All thanks to persistence of fair policemen doing their job and devoting their hearts to fight for justice.

Shizuma was so close to the person whom he has been seeking for many years. Too bad they didn't recognize each other.
AdnashMar 29, 2:29 AM
Mar 28, 11:59 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to WatchTillTandava
I thought we had wandered into a side story of an alternate universe's Japanese answer to Zaroff and The Most Dangerous Game (Just looked this up and it's a weird coincidence that the original short story was published almost exactly 100 years ago, on January 19th, 1924).

At first I thought the Hunter's club had some greater political goal in mind but by the end it seemed decidedly apolitical, and if it ever started out as a political organization, clearly devolved and degenerated into a physical-pleasure seeking gang getting off on sadism.

This continues to be a pretty great and underrated show. Glad I picked it up and as usual ignored the MAL rating and distinct lack of preceding buzz and fanfare. I'm invested moreso in the story and setting themselves than the characters, as I saw some comment here and elsewhere when voicing one gripe about the series, but honestly that's not uncommon for Historical series in general in my experience, anime or not. Watching this really brings me back to when I first started to get really interested in various different areas of history on an obsessive level in middle school and into high school, and how I would just seek out Historical genre stuff in abundance then in whatever form it came. Besides documentaries, Historical genre was my bread and butter for a long time. And just seeing any characters navigate all the intricacies and complexities of a world I had hitherto mostly only read about on the page in textbooks or on the internet at that point was so mesmerizing.

I especially appreciate how the series doesn't seem to shy away from showing the real brutality of the period and the type of people forged as local legends in times of war, nor of jumping around a bit to different storylines to give us a wide eagle's eye view of the post-war society's transformation at the legal level, political level, how it affects ordinary people, etc. In some series I think that broader view is a detriment to character-focused development and intimacy with the perspective of a smaller cast of main characters, but here I think it works well enough, again, for a series which seems to be leaning into the strength of its plot and setting more than characters. And one which seems more in line with those chaotic sweeping period pieces I referenced above.
WatchTillTandava said:
This continues to be a pretty great and underrated show. Glad I picked it up and as usual ignored the MAL rating and distinct lack of preceding buzz and fanfare.
Same. I'm glad I saw the trailer pretty early on and thus I heard about this anime. Without that, I'm not sure if I would bother to even check it up. I've been enjoying the show so far. Awesome setting, atmosphere, nice characters. Too bad it might be overlooked by many, mostly if someone focuses on mean scores of various series in the first place, but it can't be helped.
Apr 15, 7:50 AM
Jun 2022
1) Man , Did That Girl & MC Even Live Together For Any Time ? She Right In Front Of Him, Recognise Already!

2) Well , Not My Problem Anymore . Ciao!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 1 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 14

36 by Collins89 »»
Apr 20, 11:31 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 2 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jan 21

15 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 15, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 17

21 by RobertBobert »»
Apr 9, 12:21 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 10

8 by Epiroogu »»
Apr 1, 1:37 AM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Mar 3

9 by Adnash »»
Mar 30, 2:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.