Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 20, 3:44 PM

Jan 2017

Challenge Period: January 01, 2024 to December 15, 2024 11:59 p.m. (PST)

Use this thread to

• Ask questions related to the challenge.
  • Ask for and/or give recommendations for items of the challenge list.
  • Post badges donations for the challenge (please). If you do, add this: @MRC_mod
              --- When donating badges, if possible, share the links within code tags (for easier copying)

[code]image (s) here[/code]

--- If it's a relatively unknown manga, please add the title.
              --- Also keep in mind the signature restrictions.
    SignatureRestrictions said:
    Images placed in forum signatures must not:

a. exceed a total area of 600px width by 150px height.
    b. exceed a total file size of 300 kB.
    c. be NSFM.

Avoid in this thread

• Posting comments unrelated to the challenge.
  • Heated discussions (debates/arguing) deviating from the challenge.
  • Spoilers of any kind (use spoilers tags).
  • Double posting. Edit your last reply.

Please abide by the forum rules/guidelines (here)

Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks for the interest!
Join the discussion on discord and help others, ask questions, and/or give suggestions related to the challenge.

2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 20, 8:00 PM

Dec 2008
For Lust, how much of the love confession do we need to see? In Slam Dunk we see the immediate aftermath (rejection) of multiple confessions but not the full confessions themselves. Just wondering because it will make a difference in which boss I tackle first. Thanks!
Jan 21, 12:22 AM

Jan 2021
@MRC_mod I made some Badges, hope they are good enough (,,>﹏<,,)

[All Participant Badges: https://imgur.com/a/mn36vI6]

[All Completed Badges: https://imgur.com/a/RKMFrqh]

LordZirkaZeroJan 21, 12:27 AM
Jan 21, 1:13 AM

Jul 2017
Sorry if this is already explained somewhere, I just can't find it.
Can we fight the bosses simultaneously? Or do we have to finish one before starting the next?
Jan 21, 1:30 AM
Mar 2017
@MRC_mod made some banners, hopefully they're alright

Jan 21, 2:44 AM

Aug 2012
@MRC_mod here's banners!

ワンダーランズ×ショウタイム
Jan 21, 6:56 AM
Dec 2017
Bit of a nitpick, but wouldn't it make more sense if the Sloth ones were for items that started before 2015 rather than after? It feels more appropriate for when you're slacking on reading something that you've had the chance to do for ages.
Jan 21, 8:05 AM

Apr 2013
@MRC_mod

For the Greed requirement, which keywords should I pay attention to? Because, sometimes, the synopses do not help.

.·:*¨ 𝕾𝖊𝖙 𝕸𝖊 𝕱𝖗𝖊𝖊 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟬:𝟱𝟱 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟯:𝟮𝟲
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Jan 21, 12:18 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to DebiPS
@MRC_mod

For the Greed requirement, which keywords should I pay attention to? Because, sometimes, the synopses do not help.
@DebiPS

I tried to start an interest stack of titles you could argue fit in here. I've only read about half of them, so feedback on if they fit would be appreciated :)(and potentially more titles since this is such a niche thing to focus an entire part of a challenge on). I've tried to stick to the ones that actually have a premise that revolves around the financial aspect, rather than it being a side thing (rich girl character in a harem) or something that sets up the premise like in 5-toubon. It's linked here.

You could also go to Mangaupdates and look up categories like "Money" or "Rich/poor person" and then see if they revolve around the financial aspect enough that you'd argue for its inclusion. There's an absolute shitton of categories on there, which makes it a bit easier to find something for something as specific as this. It's however also completely user-voted, so not every manga under those categories will fit perfectly into it.
Jan 21, 12:27 PM
Jun 2013
Playing a bit of semantics~ Few questions:

For Lust:
Like do confessions to themselves that they like the other person? (Because realization and complex, broken relationship troupes are so common)
Does a relationship have to start?
Does it have to be a major plot point?

For Greed:
If you're looking at isekai, does gold/whatever coin they use count? (Like Trash Count's son)
Or for accumulating funds quickly or points for game based like in Solo-Leveling?

For Gluttony:
If the name is translated incorrectly but would be a food and that can be proven can it be used? [Bad example but Puddin' or Huang, Bu-Ling from Tokyo Mew Mew]
Same can it be fantasy foods (like monster meat) or are we looking more 'traditional' like Shokugeki?
Is food the primary focus or can it just be like cooking scenes and dishes for meals/teatime like in Black Butler?
Jan 21, 12:29 PM

Apr 2013
Reply to Hoots__
@DebiPS

I tried to start an interest stack of titles you could argue fit in here. I've only read about half of them, so feedback on if they fit would be appreciated :)(and potentially more titles since this is such a niche thing to focus an entire part of a challenge on). I've tried to stick to the ones that actually have a premise that revolves around the financial aspect, rather than it being a side thing (rich girl character in a harem) or something that sets up the premise like in 5-toubon. It's linked here.

You could also go to Mangaupdates and look up categories like "Money" or "Rich/poor person" and then see if they revolve around the financial aspect enough that you'd argue for its inclusion. There's an absolute shitton of categories on there, which makes it a bit easier to find something for something as specific as this. It's however also completely user-voted, so not every manga under those categories will fit perfectly into it.
@Hoots__

You are an angel in a human form, THANK YOU SO MUCH <3

.·:*¨ 𝕾𝖊𝖙 𝕸𝖊 𝕱𝖗𝖊𝖊 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟬:𝟱𝟱 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟯:𝟮𝟲
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Jan 22, 5:34 AM
Mangaka

Apr 2018
@MRC_mod Good luck to everyone :3 Here are some banners~

Jan 22, 9:45 AM
Jun 2020
Joining the challenge for the first time! Does anyone have recommendations for how to search for Lust titles (ones with a love confession)? ^^
maiqqquJan 22, 9:50 AM
Jan 22, 11:30 AM

Jul 2022
@MRC_mod I've made some badges :))
alex2004_lJan 22, 11:45 AM

Jan 22, 2:28 PM

Mar 2017
@MRC_mod More badges? More badges. All complaints about quality must be filed with Ea Nasir.

BrainpanSonataJan 22, 2:33 PM
Jan 22, 2:49 PM

Oct 2023
Unless I missed it, I don't think it was clarified in the rules if wild cards can have challenge combos applied to them like regular entries. Can they?
Jan 22, 3:06 PM

Oct 2015
Can someone reccomend me a comedy manga that would fit under Lust? preferably under 50 chapters, I hate comedy and romance lol.
Add me to talk about touhou OwO

Jan 22, 3:46 PM

May 2014
@Armandoriel
Sorry if this is already explained somewhere, I just can't find it.
Can we fight the bosses simultaneously? Or do we have to finish one before starting the next?

Yes, you can read manga and complete items in any order you like. So you don't have to finish the first boss you start fighting before tackling another one.

@Hoots__
Bit of a nitpick, but wouldn't it make more sense if the Sloth ones were for items that started before 2015 rather than after? It feels more appropriate for when you're slacking on reading something that you've had the chance to do for ages.

The reasoning is that reading only newer stuff is lazy, and the idea of the requirements is to accomodate the sins to fight them, so you do the lazy thing in this case.

@kawaii1324
For Lust:
Like do confessions to themselves that they like the other person? (Because realization and complex, broken relationship troupes are so common)
Does a relationship have to start?
Does it have to be a major plot point?

It does not have to be a major plot point and the love confession can also be rejected. Confessions to themselves do not count, they have to be from one person to another.

For Greed:
If you're looking at isekai, does gold/whatever coin they use count? (Like Trash Count's son)
Or for accumulating funds quickly or points for game based like in Solo-Leveling?

Points (like in Solo Leveling) do not count as it's not really money.
Different currency on the other side is ok, the important thing is that money is an important plot point.

For Gluttony:
If the name is translated incorrectly but would be a food and that can be proven can it be used? [Bad example but Puddin' or Huang, Bu-Ling from Tokyo Mew Mew]
Same can it be fantasy foods (like monster meat) or are we looking more 'traditional' like Shokugeki?
Is food the primary focus or can it just be like cooking scenes and dishes for meals/teatime like in Black Butler?

You can use the original/different language names, just state it in your post.
It has to be real food but "Monster Meat" has "Meat" that would count by itself.
The manga has to have the Gourmet genre or the Food tag or equivalent (Cooking for example). Food has to be an important point.

@maiqqqu
Joining the challenge for the first time! Does anyone have recommendations for how to search for Lust titles (ones with a love confession)? ^^

You'll probably have the most luck in reading Romance manga. The Love Confession category on mangaupdates can be useful too.

@PlasticRobot
Unless I missed it, I don't think it was clarified in the rules if wild cards can have challenge combos applied to them like regular entries. Can they?

No, wild card items have to be used on their own, you cannot combine challenge items on top of them.

@LordZirkaZero
@Phanuel
@wkteo
@Rin_Setsuna
@alex2004_l
@BrainpanSonata
Thank you guys for the banners! Your banners will all be added to the main thread soon ^^
Jan 22, 4:34 PM

Jun 2021
@MRC_mod This is my first time making banners so I hope they're okay!
(they're 460x200 but in the code they're sized to 230 I hope that's alright!)

Jan 22, 7:52 PM

Apr 2013
Reply to letsgomeisei
For Lust, how much of the love confession do we need to see? In Slam Dunk we see the immediate aftermath (rejection) of multiple confessions but not the full confessions themselves. Just wondering because it will make a difference in which boss I tackle first. Thanks!
@letsgomeisei it counts :)
Jan 22, 8:30 PM
Nov 2014
I believe there's an error in challenge #32. In the challenge list, the challenge is "from a magazine with less than 250 titles in the database" while in the challenges code it's "from a magazine with more than 250 titles in the database".
Jan 22, 8:40 PM

Mar 2017
Reply to Korgi1
Can someone reccomend me a comedy manga that would fit under Lust? preferably under 50 chapters, I hate comedy and romance lol.
@Korgi1 Full Dozer, perhaps?
Jan 23, 1:23 AM

May 2014
Reply to Duskaegon
I believe there's an error in challenge #32. In the challenge list, the challenge is "from a magazine with less than 250 titles in the database" while in the challenges code it's "from a magazine with more than 250 titles in the database".
@Duskaegon
Thanks, it got fixed, the right one is "from a magazine with more than 250 title in the database".
Jan 23, 10:01 AM

Nov 2015
@MRC_mod hello! (੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭
i'm not sure if more are needed and i made it for myself but i think it wouldn't be so bad for others to use it
just ended doing to much sorry i hope they are okay

i will come back with more when final boss is revealed ദ്ദി ˉ͈̀꒳ˉ͈́ )✧

PARTICIPANT

COMPLETED

younger brothers of the death painting wombs,
lend me your strength!! fire!!
like Esou... I must fight with grace!
like Kechizu... I must fight freely!!
and like Yuji... I must fight with power!!!

deliveriescollectionreverie sonata
amazing set by ec secret snowman < 333
Jan 23, 4:41 PM

Jun 2022
Hello, for wrath can we read drama manga + other genre or must be only drama genre?

I was trying
19. Read a manga that started publishing in the year you joined MAL.
67. Read a Mecha, Detective, or Military manga.

but I'm not sure if it is okay to read drama + mecha

thank you
Jan 23, 4:58 PM

May 2014
Reply to boTon
Hello, for wrath can we read drama manga + other genre or must be only drama genre?

I was trying
19. Read a manga that started publishing in the year you joined MAL.
67. Read a Mecha, Detective, or Military manga.

but I'm not sure if it is okay to read drama + mecha

thank you
@boTon
A manga doesn't need to have only Drama to be valid for Wrath. It's ok as long as Drama is one of the genres. So Mecha+Drama would be fine.
Jan 23, 5:54 PM

Jun 2022
Reply to denvicar
@boTon
A manga doesn't need to have only Drama to be valid for Wrath. It's ok as long as Drama is one of the genres. So Mecha+Drama would be fine.
@denvicar thanks a lot
Jan 23, 7:52 PM

Dec 2008
Reply to Kazzeon
@letsgomeisei it counts :)
@Kazzeon thank you! And for number 37 "Read a manga with 200 chapters or more", it just needs to have 200+ chapters and we don't need to have read 200+ chapters of it in this year, correct?
Jan 23, 11:51 PM

Dec 2022
Is a publishing manga also applicable for the challenge or only the ones who have been completed/published are the one?

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Jan 24, 1:56 AM

May 2014
@letsgomeisei
letsgomeisei said:
thank you! And for number 37 "Read a manga with 200 chapters or more", it just needs to have 200+ chapters and we don't need to have read 200+ chapters of it in this year, correct?

That's correct, but keep in mind that if you started it before 2024, for it to be valid for the challenge, you need to read at least 50 chapters (or 5 volumes) of it this year.

@DinoNo1
DinoNo1 said:
Is a publishing manga also applicable for the challenge or only the ones who have been completed/published are the one?

Yes, you can use publishing/ongoing manga for the challenge.
Jan 24, 3:13 AM

Apr 2013
Reply to sukusen
@MRC_mod hello! (੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭
i'm not sure if more are needed and i made it for myself but i think it wouldn't be so bad for others to use it
just ended doing to much sorry i hope they are okay

i will come back with more when final boss is revealed ദ്ദി ˉ͈̀꒳ˉ͈́ )✧

PARTICIPANT

COMPLETED

@sukusen wow, these are great! Thanks a lot. :D
Jan 24, 3:42 AM
Aug 2020
I'm kinda confused about this rule:
"You must read at least the last 5 volumes or 50 chapters (if not physically published) of the manga you choose to use for the challenge (if you're not reading it in its entirety) during the challenge period."
So does the manga need to have at least 5 volumes or 50 chapter to be used in the challenge? Or this rule only apply when you don't want to fully read a really long manga?

Thanks!
Jan 24, 4:07 AM

May 2014
Reply to hanami_27
I'm kinda confused about this rule:
"You must read at least the last 5 volumes or 50 chapters (if not physically published) of the manga you choose to use for the challenge (if you're not reading it in its entirety) during the challenge period."
So does the manga need to have at least 5 volumes or 50 chapter to be used in the challenge? Or this rule only apply when you don't want to fully read a really long manga?

Thanks!
@hanami_27 This rule applies only to manga you have started before 2024. You always have to read a manga in its entirety, that is, until the latest published chapter for ongoing manga. If you have started reading a manga in 2023 (or earlier) and you want to use it for this year's challenge, you can do it if you have at least 5 volumes (or 50 chapters) still left to read.

For example, if I started reading a 20-volume manga in 2023, I can use that manga for the 2024 challenge if I have already read the first 15 volumes or less. If I have already read the first 16 volumes, the manga is not eligible unless I reread it from the beginning.

Jan 24, 4:15 AM
Aug 2020
Reply to denvicar
@hanami_27 This rule applies only to manga you have started before 2024. You always have to read a manga in its entirety, that is, until the latest published chapter for ongoing manga. If you have started reading a manga in 2023 (or earlier) and you want to use it for this year's challenge, you can do it if you have at least 5 volumes (or 50 chapters) still left to read.

For example, if I started reading a 20-volume manga in 2023, I can use that manga for the 2024 challenge if I have already read the first 15 volumes or less. If I have already read the first 16 volumes, the manga is not eligible unless I reread it from the beginning.

@denvicar Tks! And can I use a completed manga that has less than 5 volumes or 50 chapters for the challenge?
Jan 24, 4:20 AM

May 2014
Reply to hanami_27
@denvicar Tks! And can I use a completed manga that has less than 5 volumes or 50 chapters for the challenge?
@hanami_27 Yes, of course. The only limitation for short manga is that you have to start reading them during the challenge period as there is no way you could still have 5 volumes/50 chapters left to read.
Jan 24, 7:18 PM

Oct 2015
Reply to BrainpanSonata
@BrainpanSonata Thanks
Add me to talk about touhou OwO

Jan 24, 8:05 PM

Jan 2021
Hi, this is my first time doing a challenge, looking for Lust recommendations for #122. I haven't read many romances so feel free to give me some good ones.

Thank you!
Jan 25, 1:45 AM

Apr 2013
Reply to MacDondald
Hi, this is my first time doing a challenge, looking for Lust recommendations for #122. I haven't read many romances so feel free to give me some good ones.

Thank you!
@MacDondald

Welcome!

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series/w379084/rin-harold-sakuishi
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series/fk2brvr/fujimi-lovers
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series/rqlwnaj/nostradamus-love

Hope you find something interesting~
Jan 25, 8:07 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to MacDondald

Thank you!
Thanks! Will check them out!
Jan 26, 5:37 AM

Sep 2016
The statement for Pride's items is a little ambiguous for me:
Only read manga you'd give an 8+ to.

How would I know I'd rate it an 8 if I haven't read it yet? Also, my average score is significantly lower since I don't give out 'easy grades.'
Is it supposed to be a manga I think I would like by reading the synopsis? Maybe something that is highly rated by checking the popular/top manga here on MAL?

Most items are quite straightforward or clear from previous MRCs, but I don't understand Pride's theme.
Jan 26, 7:55 AM

Sep 2022
Hii! I'd like a manga recommendation for item 122 (a recommendation by another participant) and item 128 (a manga that started publishing in September). Something about zombies, if possible.
Jan 26, 12:14 PM

May 2014
Reply to Thoswey
The statement for Pride's items is a little ambiguous for me:
Only read manga you'd give an 8+ to.

How would I know I'd rate it an 8 if I haven't read it yet? Also, my average score is significantly lower since I don't give out 'easy grades.'
Is it supposed to be a manga I think I would like by reading the synopsis? Maybe something that is highly rated by checking the popular/top manga here on MAL?

Most items are quite straightforward or clear from previous MRCs, but I don't understand Pride's theme.
@Thoswey You can use manga you are most likely to grade highly, for example: manga from an author you know you like, manga of a genre you tend to like, recommended to your favorite manga, critically acclaimed manga...
You don't need to tell the future of course, you can read something random and if you happen to grade it 8+ you can THEN assign it to Pride. It goes the other way too: if you read something you had assigned to Pride and you don't like it you'll have to move it to another boss.
Jan 26, 1:26 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to denvicar
@Thoswey You can use manga you are most likely to grade highly, for example: manga from an author you know you like, manga of a genre you tend to like, recommended to your favorite manga, critically acclaimed manga...
You don't need to tell the future of course, you can read something random and if you happen to grade it 8+ you can THEN assign it to Pride. It goes the other way too: if you read something you had assigned to Pride and you don't like it you'll have to move it to another boss.
@denvicar I didn't think of assigning a manga to Pride after grading it lol. Other items are very clearly defined beforehand, so normally I just choose something from my PTR that fits the bill, but it makes sense to do it like this. I definitely have some manga I will am sure to like. Thanks for the epxlanation and quick answer!
Jan 26, 9:18 PM

Apr 2013
Reply to claricespectro
Hii! I'd like a manga recommendation for item 122 (a recommendation by another participant) and item 128 (a manga that started publishing in September). Something about zombies, if possible.
@claricespectro

Hello!

Zombies in September, huh?

https://myanimelist.net/manga/35673/Nickelodeon
https://myanimelist.net/manga/39139/Apocalypse_no_Toride

This is all I got. 😅
Jan 26, 10:42 PM

Jul 2019
I'd like a manga recommendation for item 122 (a recommendation by another participant) preferably from my plan to read
Jan 27, 10:20 AM

Mar 2017
Reply to AatihoNora
I'd like a manga recommendation for item 122 (a recommendation by another participant) preferably from my plan to read
@AatihoNora Ajin. Definitely Ajin. If you don't want to go for something that long, Tanabata no Kuni is a good second choice.
Jan 27, 2:55 PM
Mar 2015
Yo, I'm adapting this challenge to an instagram format (post+stories templates), is it okay?
Jan 27, 5:17 PM

Apr 2013
Reply to gambitmay
Yo, I'm adapting this challenge to an instagram format (post+stories templates), is it okay?
@gambitmay

Well, you're always free to do the challenge however you prefer.
It's not necessary to post here or anywhere, unless you want to have your challenge inspected and be in the list of completed users.
If that's the case, we'd appreciate if you post the challenge here as well, for our purposes.

If you just mean if you're allowed to showcase it on Instagram or something like that, please go ahead. :)
The challenge is all about having fun and interacting with the community.
Jan 28, 4:23 PM

Feb 2012
I need gourmet and money themed manga pleaaaase. Also, can i still make some banners here?
"it wasn't as painful as having that possibility shoved in my face"

Jan 29, 7:12 AM

Mar 2017
Reply to YurippeXD
I need gourmet and money themed manga pleaaaase. Also, can i still make some banners here?
@YurippeXD If you don't want to use the Gourmet tag, there's an interest stack about food-name characters.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

379 by LyLord »»
9 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
10 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
Apr 25, 11:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.