Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 17, 9:51 PM

Oct 2022
I love Naomi and Rouge banter, they are great characters.

We learn more about the history of the world, that the Neans were created to fight against an alien invasion, but now seem to be enslaved and exploited by humans. I wonder if there is a link between the aliens and Rouge’s powers.

Jan 17, 10:03 PM

Oct 2016
There is still so much mystery surrounding this show, but we got some cool lore about alien visitors and usurpers. It was overall a fun episode, but I’m still confused by what the main character’s objective is. I’m excited to find out though. (8/10)
Jan 17, 10:44 PM

Apr 2020
Cool action. Nice Animation.

Im just hoping for a little bit more personality...I mean:

- The heroine is a Moe-Hotty, acting like like a child, emphasized through her (constantly) eating chocolate and beeing kinda clueless all the time

- The Detective is sipping booze out of a hip flask

- The Journalist is a tall, blond, short haired free spirit with an oldschool camera

- The villains of this Episode are faceless Mercenaries, driving Warthogs...

It's just a bit clishee and bland, when it comes to characters, this far.
Jan 17, 11:23 PM

Mar 2019
Eh... I kinda enjoyed it a little? Starting to warm up to the two mains, but Rouge barking at Naomi after she was instructed to stay behind was incredibly cringe. As for the plot... Ummm, still waiting, lol.

Animation was pretty sick so kudos to Bones for that, but Jesus Christ the soundtrack atrocious. That theme that was playing after she transformed was so fucking bad. What were they thinking with that?
Jan 17, 11:25 PM

Dec 2022
More back story, war against alien race, that sounds promising.
Jan 17, 11:25 PM
Oct 2019
They finally mentioned Earth in episode 2, i was waiting for it last episode.

Good Alien = Visitors
Bad Alien = Usurpers

So Human build Neans (Android) so they can fight against these Bad Alien (Usurpers).
Give me more the LORE.

Wow that Woof coming out of nowhere LMAO

Ahh yes, is that my man Kenjiro Tsuda??
Please keep talking sir.

The transformation sequence giving me Mahou Shoujo vibes.

Alright, Let BONES COOK!!
davidyodo24Jan 17, 11:37 PM
Jan 18, 12:10 AM

Oct 2022
Rouge and Naomi's personalities and interactions with each other are fucking gold, I love these two.
UndefeatedBahamut
Jan 18, 12:37 AM

Dec 2022
I was a bit skeptical on the first episode ngl, but this episode was wayyyy better. We get to know a lil bit of the world lore and also a cool "henshin" sequence. Hopefully it keeps up this kind of pace for the next episodes

Jan 18, 12:39 AM
Oct 2021
So..who were any of those people? They seemed mostly like normal civilians but then one of them doesn't give a girl she doesn't know anything about to a group of military personnel because...? Who were these people again? Mercenaries? Is there a government on this planet? Why did Rouge walk away from the car? Who was that last guy to join them again?

Also, the poignant charcater progression of Rouge in this episode is someone tells her she's free, lol.

Also, was that Nean who's serving the old couple just gonna die if the Doctor wasn't there? Did he have no injections for himself?

This anime's only strength is its animation and I have a feeling it'll be like that for the rest of the show.
Jan 18, 1:42 AM

Oct 2022
This episode is better than the last, it felt like it had more personable characters, showed more personality.
Jan 18, 2:05 AM

Aug 2015
Reply to AlluringProxima
Good animation and sounds, but as I said last week, it's lacking in story and character development. I was hoping they would delve more into that this week but this was mainly action. There was some world building which was good, though. But I still don't really know what's going on.
@AlluringProxima

It really does feel like they've prioritized action set pieces above all else, which doesn't lend itself to a lasting compelling narrative.

Episode 1 obviously tried to be Blade Runner, but the component of "tragic-ness" was entirely missing. It wasn't even acknowledged. That in itself told me everything that this show was going to be - just another seasonal watch that won't be fondly remembered.
Jan 18, 3:15 AM

Dec 2022
This is wildly high quality given. The story and the characters are very interesting even if we have bare bones info on them.
Jan 18, 3:18 AM

Nov 2020
The second episode throws us into the action again, lots of chases and explosions, but we still don't know much about the main characters, who they work for and why they hunt robots. Fortunately, we learned a little about the history of the world and it seems interesting.
I hope that the third episode will clarify everything a bit and you will be able to get more involved in the story.
The animation, music and autistic MC do not disappoint once again, that's why I liked the episode but... the scene where our heroes are running away from a four-legged robot and suddenly mercenaries arrive in between was so stupid that it was funny, they were seriously so stupid and didn't notice huge robot? apart from the fact that their appearance there was as accidental as possible
Jan 18, 3:27 AM
Apr 2020
Good episode even the side characters had something to contribute
Jan 18, 3:54 AM

Oct 2022
Definitely a big step up from episode 1, now that we have more of a chance to see the personality and interplay between the two leads. Loved the music during Rouge's tokusatsu-mode in the last section, and the whole sequence was just a ton of fun.
Jan 18, 3:58 AM

Nov 2010
So, light weight Rouge threw the gigantic robot? It's beyond suspension of disbelief.

Jan 18, 4:47 AM

Jun 2020
Naomi said "cringe" in the second episode of the English Dub, just wanted to mention from a fascination perspective. I dont remember any newer anime that has used it in the modern internet slang term of that word before.

Also the anime looks like it has some sort of grainy filter on it, emulating old shows, it is not as clean as tipical modern digital anime tend to be. The more realistic character designs work with that grainier filter. I would say the tokusatsu suits give a Tiger and Bunny type of CGI look, with SSSS Gridman flare. Definitely notice the CGI models on the vehicles, robots, and chase sequences. All of that combined gives the work an early 2000s look, with the two main female characters having a more modern design approach, which some audience will like a lot.

The music is pretty neat.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Jan 18, 4:53 AM
Mar 2020
Seems like Neam's are cyborgs, not androids as advertised. I had my suspicions from ordinary humans rumored to also being able to use the nectar, but the blood and skeleton pretty much confirms that they are just augmented, not artificial.
I wonder if thats public knowledge in universe, doesn't seem that way so far
Jan 18, 5:59 AM

Dec 2022
Honestly the biggest surprise to me from this show has been how good the dialogue/interactions between characters have been. It all just feels so natural and believable. They also never tell too much to the viewer but you can always see small pieces of information being put on the table like Rouge having a brother. Really excited where this is going to.
Jan 18, 6:02 AM
Dec 2023
Good mixture of cool and cute + expansion of the lore
Jan 18, 6:41 AM

Nov 2022
Still a lot of mysteries with the setting and plot, but I'm hooked now!
Jan 18, 7:38 AM

Dec 2012
Reply to Neneaux
Why should I give a fuck about any of these characters so far? They're all so fucking obnoxious with nothing to latch on to. Wow cool action scene! I don't care if they live or die. There's no stakes cause there isn't any reason to care. If you just wanted like a vasty shittier Trigun I guess this is for you. And wow, robots that look an act human but can't hurt humans because of the Asimov Code? Truly insane. Feels like it's targeting people who still think Cowboy Bebop is the best sci-fi anime ever made.
@Neneaux Says the 86 fan...
Jan 18, 9:59 AM
Apr 2021
I believe this has the potential to either be an excelent but under appreciated masterpiece or to turn into generic low effort sci fi.

The wolrd they've built over these last 2 episodes is full of a rich history but it's not explicitly explained most of the time, contrary to anime tropes of overexplanation, they decide to show us how the world works. We don't know the motivations or objectives of any of the involved factions, but with what they've told already it is very interesting.

This kind of reminds me of the history aspect of the soulsbourne games, you can just play the games and get a very minimal story but if you pay attention to details you get a full picture. This sadly means that like soulsbourne games, this anime won't be for everyone. I would guess that if this turns up to be a masterpiece, the first season would have the lowest reviews and the next ones a better score, similar to Legend of Galactic Heroes Die Neue These.

To all wondering why they are chasing Rouge, my guess is that the secret society of superior Neans that look like humans (The one to which Viola and Guillion belong to) have figured out Rouge is the red gladiator killing them off so they probably hired mercs to chase her down as now Guillion knows how she looks and most likely knows she has an accomplice as he sliced the bird in episode 1 showing us he figured out the bird was stalking Viola.

To me this is superb writing, it's as if they wrote an episode 0 with all the information we need to kickstart the story, threw it away and gave us a quite packed episode 1 with a lot of momentum. We know Rouge and Naomi are working to kill/eliminate Neans posing as humans (Viola and the ones shown in the news) and they are probably chasing their next target. My guess is that Naomi and Rouge are government spies/assasins or at least with Althea (the business that builds Neans).

Then again, this is more like a good book level of writing and will most likely go under apreciated with the anime crowd as we are all used to wasting 2-3 episodes having every single thing overexplained and fed on a silver spoon. This show is not that, and I actually appreciate it.

Truly a hidden gem, and I won't be surprised if this does not breach an 8.0 score. But then again... it might go downhill and turn into a forgettable series with good animation.
gautrstafrJan 18, 10:16 AM
Jan 18, 10:13 AM
Apr 2021
Reply to fast2611
Seems like Neam's are cyborgs, not androids as advertised. I had my suspicions from ordinary humans rumored to also being able to use the nectar, but the blood and skeleton pretty much confirms that they are just augmented, not artificial.
I wonder if thats public knowledge in universe, doesn't seem that way so far
@fast2611 That's quite a good theory. Maybe the visitors gave the company the technology to do it and they're more like the Major in Ghost in the Shell or Battle Angel Alita than an actual android like West world. Perhaps this is why the company is said to be trying to cover up the assasinations made by Rouge?
Jan 18, 10:59 AM
Senpai

May 2021
Mad Max vibes? Very good episode, bones is crazy good as always.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jan 18, 11:16 AM

Mar 2019
Gargantua!?
It's you my child!?
:'3

Jan 18, 11:50 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Secret333
So..who were any of those people? They seemed mostly like normal civilians but then one of them doesn't give a girl she doesn't know anything about to a group of military personnel because...? Who were these people again? Mercenaries? Is there a government on this planet? Why did Rouge walk away from the car? Who was that last guy to join them again?

Also, the poignant charcater progression of Rouge in this episode is someone tells her she's free, lol.

Also, was that Nean who's serving the old couple just gonna die if the Doctor wasn't there? Did he have no injections for himself?

This anime's only strength is its animation and I have a feeling it'll be like that for the rest of the show.
Secret333 said:
So..who were any of those people? They seemed mostly like normal civilians but then one of them doesn't give a girl she doesn't know anything about to a group of military personnel because...? Who were these people again?

Pretty much my thoughts so far. A whole lot of noise and chaos and no context at all.
Jan 18, 12:01 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Outside of the fantastic action sequences, this episode gave us more questions than answers. It feels more or less like an episodic series rather that a plot driven series that connects everything together. The only thing that is saving this show is the soundtrack which was really good. Hopefully we can get some of those answers in the next episode.
Jan 18, 1:23 PM

Jul 2021
Great episode all around. Can't wait for more from this show.
Jan 18, 1:36 PM
Oct 2021
Reply to gautrstafr
I believe this has the potential to either be an excelent but under appreciated masterpiece or to turn into generic low effort sci fi.

The wolrd they've built over these last 2 episodes is full of a rich history but it's not explicitly explained most of the time, contrary to anime tropes of overexplanation, they decide to show us how the world works. We don't know the motivations or objectives of any of the involved factions, but with what they've told already it is very interesting.

This kind of reminds me of the history aspect of the soulsbourne games, you can just play the games and get a very minimal story but if you pay attention to details you get a full picture. This sadly means that like soulsbourne games, this anime won't be for everyone. I would guess that if this turns up to be a masterpiece, the first season would have the lowest reviews and the next ones a better score, similar to Legend of Galactic Heroes Die Neue These.

To all wondering why they are chasing Rouge, my guess is that the secret society of superior Neans that look like humans (The one to which Viola and Guillion belong to) have figured out Rouge is the red gladiator killing them off so they probably hired mercs to chase her down as now Guillion knows how she looks and most likely knows she has an accomplice as he sliced the bird in episode 1 showing us he figured out the bird was stalking Viola.

To me this is superb writing, it's as if they wrote an episode 0 with all the information we need to kickstart the story, threw it away and gave us a quite packed episode 1 with a lot of momentum. We know Rouge and Naomi are working to kill/eliminate Neans posing as humans (Viola and the ones shown in the news) and they are probably chasing their next target. My guess is that Naomi and Rouge are government spies/assasins or at least with Althea (the business that builds Neans).

Then again, this is more like a good book level of writing and will most likely go under apreciated with the anime crowd as we are all used to wasting 2-3 episodes having every single thing overexplained and fed on a silver spoon. This show is not that, and I actually appreciate it.

Truly a hidden gem, and I won't be surprised if this does not breach an 8.0 score. But then again... it might go downhill and turn into a forgettable series with good animation.
gautrstafr said:

Keep telling yourself that it's everyone else that don't get it, and not that anything is wrong with the show. I'm sure that'll make you feel better.
Jan 18, 2:04 PM

Nov 2022
the giant crawler laser vaporizing and slicing those apcs in half was just nutty
Jan 18, 3:23 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Just as the first episode, it's cool to see a show that doesn't explain everything to you in an overly explicit way. Naomi is so full of energy, she might've gotten me interested in the war on Mars. We've got a cool introduction to the passengers, some of which will probably be more important later. The details are remarkable in what they elude, the personalities shine and the action scenes are no joke.

With all of that, how is it that so few people are watching this? Come on, I need those sweet FAL points.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jan 18, 5:34 PM

Jun 2019
I didn't hate the first episode as some did, but this episode was at least different enough from the first in terms of how it portrayed events and what impression it gave of what to potentially expect from the series going forward that it no longer felt like something trying desperately to be like an abbreviated, more barebones (writing-wise, not visually) Ergo Proxy-lite, which very few can pull off well.

The main girl had some cute moments and eccentricities and it was better that there was lengthier dialogue and exchanges between characters who were all in the same place rather than quickly cutting between different scattered locations to introduce various characters at an extremely surface level with like one trait (some of the characters from the group of new strangers in the transport bus could be described like that, but they were more used to bounce off the two main girl leads and establish the world).

There is still nothing particularly interesting about the two main characters (or the two I'm assuming for now are the mains) and nothing standout in the dialogue, but this episode at least made clear to me that it could still be enjoyed despite that as essentially a Hollywood flick-style Sci-Fi action adventure romp, with basically some large battles, giant monster and robot fights and explosions; maybe a little romance of passing strangers from different worlds (Mars and Earth?, Robot/Android and Human?), definitely some comedy/comic relief, maybe a little (probably light) drama, probably at least a few kind of hokey, on-the-nose, accessible "life lessons". It even has that big budget movie feel. As if Michael Bay did an anime. Nothing particularly new, mentally challenging or stimulating, or emotionally rich or complex, but a fun enough journey with probably a little bit of everything (or most things) for everyone. And therefore, naturally, of course, also likely displeasing some completely and driving them away.

Therefore, it's now one I can say I intend to continue unless it dips atrociously in the next episode or two. I don't expect anything mindblowing, but it's on course to be a serviceable 6 or 7/10-type show.
WatchTillTandavaJan 18, 5:40 PM
Jan 18, 7:00 PM

Jul 2016
Very good-looking episode. We got more info regarding the lore as well as some very sick action sequences.
As for Rouge and Naomi's dynamic, still not sure whether I should find it compelling or slightly forced...
Jan 18, 9:58 PM
Apr 2021
Reply to Secret333
gautrstafr said:

Keep telling yourself that it's everyone else that don't get it, and not that anything is wrong with the show. I'm sure that'll make you feel better.
@Secret333 wow somebody's mad that they were not smart enough to get it.
Jan 18, 10:57 PM
Oct 2020
Lycoris Recoil Vibes
Jan 19, 12:09 AM
Oct 2021
gautrstafr said:
@Secret333 wow somebody's mad that they were not smart enough to get it.

Get what? Go on. Say something substantial.
Jan 19, 2:54 AM

Jan 2023
Eh not super into this so far, it could turn out amazing, I'll stick with it because the animation is really nice and I do like the characters. I just hope this isn't too much like Lycoris because I thought that was painfully generic
死人に口なし
Jan 19, 6:53 AM

Jun 2017
Reply to Neneaux
Why should I give a fuck about any of these characters so far? They're all so fucking obnoxious with nothing to latch on to. Wow cool action scene! I don't care if they live or die. There's no stakes cause there isn't any reason to care. If you just wanted like a vasty shittier Trigun I guess this is for you. And wow, robots that look an act human but can't hurt humans because of the Asimov Code? Truly insane. Feels like it's targeting people who still think Cowboy Bebop is the best sci-fi anime ever made.
I like Cowboy Bebop but 1. Cowboy Bebop is a space western, 2. this sucks but your rant is spot on, this is a shittier version of both Trigun series.
By the way @Albi-kun you really roast someone's taste in anime with a Naruto avatar? Geez.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Jan 19, 7:41 AM

Nov 2013
- Rouge woof ... that scene was funny
- Rouge went from not sharing chocolate to sharing chocolate, character development? haha
- grandma is crazy, how to not like her?
- the little girl had to do something stupid after being told to stay quiet, but that's how childrens go i guess...
- Rouge easily destroyed all those scary machines, gg easy
- that mysterious guy, he seems like a nice person, even helping the Nean during the night, but i wonder what is his goal

still not sure if i'm going to finish this anime, but so far i find it fun enough to continue for more episodes
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 19, 9:16 AM

May 2020
Throwing us a number of diverse characters.. of all age groups, all of a sudden at that, still won't fix whatever is still missing. I mean going forward, none of them will be relevant anyways, except maybe that journalist and that guy who we heard nothing about.

Also, the "cHaRAcTeR dYnaMiCs" between our two main girls feel kinda forced honestly.
Jan 19, 10:04 AM

Dec 2012
Reply to DreadfulControl
I like Cowboy Bebop but 1. Cowboy Bebop is a space western, 2. this sucks but your rant is spot on, this is a shittier version of both Trigun series.
By the way @Albi-kun you really roast someone's taste in anime with a Naruto avatar? Geez.
@DreadfulControl Naruto is irrelevant here. I just found it funny that a fan of 86 is being so harsh on this anime after only 2 episodes. That's it.
Jan 19, 10:51 AM

Mar 2014
You know this show can be great if I actually know wat the actual fuk is going on
Jan 19, 10:59 AM

Jun 2017
Reply to Albi-kun
@DreadfulControl Naruto is irrelevant here. I just found it funny that a fan of 86 is being so harsh on this anime after only 2 episodes. That's it.
@Albi-kun Why would have being an 86 fan any relevance in the case of this anime? 86 is a war drama (a pretty mediocre one to be honest) and Metallic Rouge an action sci-fi anime about human-robot relationship. The only common thing between the two that both series have mechs and that's it, all the themes the two shows have are completely different (yeah once mentioned in MR about discrimination but we don't fully know if it will be discussed or play an important role in the story yet.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Jan 19, 12:03 PM
Sep 2018
This is pretty much a snooze fest, dropping..
Jan 19, 2:08 PM

Jun 2020
Im sorry did she take a little girl to a walk in the forest after they all almost died because someone try to kill them. Why?

The grandma was the best part total badass
Jan 19, 3:41 PM
Mar 2019
I'm getting a lot of standard cyberpunk tropes here. I see Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop at the top of my head.
Jan 19, 4:58 PM

Sep 2017
Still not sure how I feel about this. Liked the beginning of this episode. Slowing the pace down and giving us some pretty natural exposition with Naomi explaining the war to some interested kids as they drive by ruined weapons. The girls interacting with other random civilians is a good way to get to know their characters. Then you have the back half of the episode with a very unnecessary action sequence. Yeah it looked kinda cool, but it has no substance. More than that though, is that it was triggered by completely coincidental. and frankly, stupid means. It's like the kinda thing you might do in a cold open for episode 1 to introduce your badass character to the audience, but we already did that in episode one! Let's learn about these characters more now since this is a short runtime show. Well maybe this will be 24 episodes so they don't have to be so particular with their time, but still. A clueless kid accidently awakening some super murder robots from a past war is not it.
Jan 19, 5:51 PM

Aug 2023
This episode was crazy. I love the duo of Naomi and Rouge, they are so cute and Rouges personality is so cute I really like her. The animation style is also very encapsulating, I loved the scene in the forest with all the glowing flowers especially when the nice tune was playing. I’m interested to see what their motives are behind killing people or who is behind the orders. Can’t wait for next week!
Jan 20, 4:35 AM

Dec 2018
AAAAAAH! That transformation/fight music is a banger! I think it's called Crimson Lightning.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Metallic Rouge Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 31

92 by Matheus050 »»
Apr 25, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Metallic Rouge Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 6

52 by APolygons2 »»
Apr 22, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Metallic Rouge Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 3

107 by dDeano-45114 »»
Apr 22, 12:09 AM

» Anybody else have no idea what’s happing?

elcurlyfries_8 - Mar 29

20 by unknownprodigy »»
Apr 19, 7:27 PM

Poll: » Metallic Rouge Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28

51 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Apr 13, 3:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.