Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 3, 2023 9:41 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
deg said:
@DreamWindow no im simply saying values are not all or nothing aka black and white so force or authoritarianism is necessary in some situations like in dire situations but not all situations

just like values are subjective personally its subjective to different situations too

Sure. But how do you determine what is the correct action to take, in a dire situation? And how does one determine what a dire situation even is? Countless issues are shoved in our face each and every day, and so, how can we possibly know which one is the correct one to focus on? We don't, because the ones that we focus on are the ones that we, individually, care about. And too us, every one of those views is correct. Otherwise, we wouldn't have those beliefs in the first place.

I get what you are saying though, that certain ministries or government operations should be erected to tackle certain objectives. There is an argument both for and against this, and many of them are well articulated. But all I'm saying, is that, in determining what one gets the time of day, will be a value judgment from conflicting interests who all believe that they are correct. And so, it needs to be considered carefully.
@DreamWindow if its a matter of science then leave it to top scientists or scientific consensus on the specific field
Dec 3, 2023 9:52 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow if its a matter of science then leave it to top scientists or scientific consensus on the specific field
deg said:

People's lives are not matters of science. And that's exactly what policy is, it's a set of incentives and constraints that influence how people affected by them live their lives. Does an individual not know how they will be affected by a certain policy better than a scientist does? The answer is obviously yes, they do. But the imposition of that policy is forced upon that person regardless of whether they want it or not. And there's not even a guarantee that any policy implemented by some scientist will succeed in it's intended purpose, since, there are plenty of institutions erected by governments that actually fail at their intended purpose, or make it worse. I know it's emotionally vindicating to advocate for radical change, but there is often the argument that radical change could, and likely will, make many people worse off in the process. Especially if it's handled by people who don't have any accountability to the people that they affect.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Dec 3, 2023 9:55 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to DreamWindow
JaniSIr said:
@deg Not this topic again... I'm pretty sure we have discussed a couple times already why being an extremely alarmist on these issues is bad even if the threat is real.

That's a good example of what I'm talking about, actually. There is an argument that ringing the alarm bells, and imposing ones view, is actually worse for the cause in the long run. To anyone who doesn't share that exact value system, the threat of that person imposing their values on them is inherently worse than what is gained.
@DreamWindow Hurting the cause isn't even the worst outcome. That would be the alarmist actually getting what they want, some dystopian law gets passed using the panic created, and then it turns out to be ineffective, because what people actually wanted to achieve is feel good about doing something, instead of actually solving the issue.
Dec 3, 2023 9:56 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
deg said:

People's lives are not matters of science. And that's exactly what policy is, it's a set of incentives and constraints that influence how people affected by them live their lives. Does an individual not know how they will be affected by a certain policy better than a scientist does? The answer is obviously yes, they do. But the imposition of that policy is forced upon that person regardless of whether they want it or not. And there's not even a guarantee that any policy implemented by some scientist will succeed in it's intended purpose, since, there are plenty of institutions erected by governments that actually fail at their intended purpose, or make it worse. I know it's emotionally vindicating to advocate for radical change, but there is often the argument that radical change could, and likely will, make many people worse off in the process. Especially if it's handled by people who don't have any accountability to the people that they affect.
@DreamWindow climate change and pandemics are a matter of life too many many lives
Dec 3, 2023 10:08 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to JaniSIr
@DreamWindow Hurting the cause isn't even the worst outcome. That would be the alarmist actually getting what they want, some dystopian law gets passed using the panic created, and then it turns out to be ineffective, because what people actually wanted to achieve is feel good about doing something, instead of actually solving the issue.
JaniSIr said:

I completely argee.

deg said:
@DreamWindow climate change and pandemics are a matter of life too many many lives

Exactly. But you believe that your value judgment is the one that should be followed, as informed, or as correct as you believe it to be. Just as all of us do. But to those who are affected by those policies, it's not so clear that those special interests who are making changes, actually have the interests of people on the ground in mind. Especially when they are drastically changing the way people on the ground live their lives. It is not obvious to me, that the simple 9-5 worker would choose a policy that drastically threatens their employment status, their transportation, or any other policy that drastically changes the way they live their life, in favour of more moderate policies that benefit their own interests, on the ground. All a dictatorship would do, is bypass the persuasion process, and put that power into the hands of people who are not accountable to the people that they affect. And I don't think that's a good trade off.
DreamWindowDec 3, 2023 10:12 AM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Dec 3, 2023 10:29 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
JaniSIr said:

I completely argee.

deg said:

Exactly. But you believe that your value judgment is the one that should be followed, as informed, or as correct as you believe it to be. Just as all of us do. But to those who are affected by those policies, it's not so clear that those special interests who are making changes, actually have the interests of people on the ground in mind. Especially when they are drastically changing the way people on the ground live their lives. It is not obvious to me, that the simple 9-5 worker would choose a policy that drastically threatens their employment status, their transportation, or any other policy that drastically changes the way they live their life, in favour of more moderate policies that benefit their own interests, on the ground. All a dictatorship would do, is bypass the persuasion process, and put that power into the hands of people who are not accountable to the people that they affect. And I don't think that's a good trade off.
@DreamWindow i get it you do not trust climate scientists even if there is scientific consensus already

how much real danger do you need to have in order to believe in science though? you do not have all the time in the world for dire situations all the time

its the same with covid if only the world acted quickly it will not be endemic too like right now
Dec 3, 2023 11:01 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow i get it you do not trust climate scientists even if there is scientific consensus already

how much real danger do you need to have in order to believe in science though? you do not have all the time in the world for dire situations all the time

its the same with covid if only the world acted quickly it will not be endemic too like right now
deg said:

Do you not care about how these policies influence people, then, is that it? You just want to do whatever they say, regardless of whether or not it affects the working class?
See, I can do that too! If you recall, I said that scientists have their place in society, and that a dictatorship would not be a good trade off when it comes to tackling climate issues. Rather, they should be handled with input from scientists, using moderate changes, rather than sweeping ones that affect many people's lives. I would hold that position regardless of scientific merit, or whatever else, based on my personal value judgment and assessment of past dictatorships. Even if I didn't "believe in science" as you say, it's a very weak argument, because I wouldn't value that in the first place.

Danger? You want to talk about danger? How much will you take from us, before you are satisfied? How much will you impede on the rights of the individuals before you believe in what is right?
See? It's just that easy to make this kind of argument. But if you don't value the same thing I do, or value it on the same level as I do, then it's an argument that changes nothing. We could have a discussion on where the line should be drawn, and if we were to appeal to each others value systems, maybe we could come up with a cozy middle ground for where the line should be drawn. But many people don't want to do that, these days, because it's easier just to spout rhetoric from one's chosen side.
DreamWindowDec 3, 2023 11:08 AM

Dec 3, 2023 1:00 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
deg said:

Do you not care about how these policies influence people, then, is that it? You just want to do whatever they say, regardless of whether or not it affects the working class?
See, I can do that too! If you recall, I said that scientists have their place in society, and that a dictatorship would not be a good trade off when it comes to tackling climate issues. Rather, they should be handled with input from scientists, using moderate changes, rather than sweeping ones that affect many people's lives. I would hold that position regardless of scientific merit, or whatever else, based on my personal value judgment and assessment of past dictatorships. Even if I didn't "believe in science" as you say, it's a very weak argument, because I wouldn't value that in the first place.

Danger? You want to talk about danger? How much will you take from us, before you are satisfied? How much will you impede on the rights of the individuals before you believe in what is right?
See? It's just that easy to make this kind of argument. But if you don't value the same thing I do, or value it on the same level as I do, then it's an argument that changes nothing. We could have a discussion on where the line should be drawn, and if we were to appeal to each others value systems, maybe we could come up with a cozy middle ground for where the line should be drawn. But many people don't want to do that, these days, because it's easier just to spout rhetoric from one's chosen side.
@DreamWindow you want moderate changes of a dire situation like worsening climate change and even pandemic ok no wonder its getting worse the time for moderate actions on this things is surely gone or going to be gone soon

no wonder youre against lockdowns during the pandemic anyway believing in moderate actions always is ridiculous to me the severity of action depends on the severity of the situation thats what i value or believe in
degDec 3, 2023 1:09 PM
Dec 3, 2023 1:09 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow you want moderate changes of a dire situation like worsening climate change and even pandemic ok no wonder its getting worse the time for moderate actions on this things is surely gone or going to be gone soon

no wonder youre against lockdowns during the pandemic anyway believing in moderate actions always is ridiculous to me the severity of action depends on the severity of the situation thats what i value or believe in
@deg Panicking and proposing worse solutions than the problem ain't helping anyone...
Dec 3, 2023 1:11 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to JaniSIr
@deg Panicking and proposing worse solutions than the problem ain't helping anyone...
@JaniSIr what do you propose? moderate solutions too? then my answer is the same the severity of action depends on the severity of the situation thats what i value or believe in

and panicking? im not proposing that at all im calling for action not panic
Dec 3, 2023 1:31 PM

Oct 2013
And here we go, a discussion meant to be about the subject of whether philosophy is pretentious or not, has been just derailed by a randomly mentioned climate change and pandemics stuff. ;P Nothing new, yet still a shame.
Dec 3, 2023 1:33 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Adnash
And here we go, a discussion meant to be about the subject of whether philosophy is pretentious or not, has been just derailed by a randomly mentioned climate change and pandemics stuff. ;P Nothing new, yet still a shame.
@Adnash they are examples of values or beliefs aka philosophy too
Dec 3, 2023 1:49 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
deg said:
@DreamWindow thats why i said if you care about values like ethics and aesthetics then philosophy is still needed but if you care about facts then science is also needed so they both can coexist

its just today there is too much personal values involve and there is war on science aka facts

The act of putting priority on science is inherently a value judgment in of itself. There are many cultures that do not value this at all. And deciding whether or not one approach is superior to the other is also a value judgment. What I am saying, is that facts are always at the discretion of personal values, regardless of what it is. Therefore, a committee who determines and interprets a set of facts will also be applying value judgments in determining the value of that fact, and what should be done about it. There's no one correct reaction to any set of facts. It's all value judgments.

Adnash said:
I know right, haha. I noticed it's especially a common thing among anime and manga fans. Headcanons, fever dream-tier delusions, or searching hidden meaning where there's not any hidden meaning at all... or being overly critical when talking about, dunno, an animated series dedicated mostly to teenagers, that it doesn't have the depth offered by the most refined live-action movies that feature complex drama and psychology themes. ;D

Everyone can enjoy the entertainment media whatever they want, but there is a difference between discussing something, and making up a fictional story in order to spoonfeed others with it as if it was real. As someone who used to analyze various types of literature in the past, it sometimes doesn't even look hilarious, but rather pitiful.

I don't mind it if people try to come up with theories, for example. But typically, when people inject philosophy into something like that, they are just using something popular to spread their own personal agenda.

Adnash said:
Indeed. It's not like society can be drawn as a vast plain with separate bubbles with "science", "philosophy", "art", "morals", that are completely autonomous and can exist alone without any problems. Society is formed from all aforementioned (and many more) elements interacting with each other, intertwining, sometimes clashing, or just "minding their own business" and developing almost - but not entirely - autonomously. All of them serve their purpose. It's been like that since the dawn of the human civilization.

Agreed. All of it spawns organically, and therefore cannot be dictated by any committee of planners, scientists, or artists, or whatever else. That elitist mentality simply isn't how communities and cultures are formed.
DreamWindow said:
I don't mind it if people try to come up with theories, for example. But typically, when people inject philosophy into something like that, they are just using something popular to spread their own personal agenda.
Yes, theorizing itself can be fun, expressional, even a nice mental exercise. But there's a point where theorizing stops becoming theorizing, and rather begins to be just making up stories completely out of touch with the discussed thing. Or sharing plainly delusional nonsense coated with smart looking words put in the wannabe analysis for the sake of making it more refined than it actually is. In most of cases, philosophy is used as the base of such dictionary, but not always. You can also see folks implementing scientific jargon used among historians or political scientists in their academic works. Not to discuss about the actual show, no by any means, lol. Just to make one's word salad look tastier, and pretend it's about facts, not about one's imagination, or delusions, or wishful thinking about a simple story.
Dec 3, 2023 1:50 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to deg

deg said:

Yes, because I'm not a fascist. But with your fear mongering tactics and love of dictatorships you'd make Mussolini blush.
All kidding aside, you are just proving my point. You believe that you have the correct values, and the correct opinions, and want it imposed on the population by force. Reasonable people are often willing to compromise, but it seems as if you do not have the capacity available to you to think things through logically enough to actually see things from a different perspective.

We should be thankful that you are not dictator.

deg said:

You seem very passionate about this topic, to the point where you do seem like you are panicking. If you believe that there is zero compromise that can be made, it's reasonable to think this. It seems like you're willing to "call for action" but not willing to actually do anything about it yourself.

Dec 3, 2023 1:54 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
deg said:

Yes, because I'm not a fascist. But with your fear mongering tactics and love of dictatorships you'd make Mussolini blush.
All kidding aside, you are just proving my point. You believe that you have the correct values, and the correct opinions, and want it imposed on the population by force. Reasonable people are often willing to compromise, but it seems as if you do not have the capacity available to you to think things through logically enough to actually see things from a different perspective.

We should be thankful that you are not dictator.

deg said:

You seem very passionate about this topic, to the point where you do seem like you are panicking. If you believe that there is zero compromise that can be made, it's reasonable to think this. It seems like you're willing to "call for action" but not willing to actually do anything about it yourself.
@DreamWindow err no i just got a lot of free time anyway my major greenhouse footprint is this old computer im using thats it anyway im gonna end this here since you think im too passionate about this when i just got a lot of time to waste

and lastly i only believe in force when its necessary evil or dire situations
Dec 3, 2023 2:06 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Adnash
Adnash said:

When people are pathologically ideological it can be hard to not speak to them without getting derailed. I tried keeping my responses to the purely philosophical angle, but eventually it ends up getting bound in political trash. Guilty as charged. :P

Yes, theorizing itself can be fun, expressional, even a nice mental exercise. But there's a point where theorizing stops becoming theorizing, and rather begins to be just making up stories completely out of touch with the discussed thing. Or sharing plainly delusional nonsense coated with smart looking words put in the wannabe analysis for the sake of making it more refined than it actually is. In most of cases, philosophy is used as the base of such dictionary, but not always. You can also see folks implementing scientific jargon used among historians or political scientists in their academic works. Not to discuss about the actual show, no by any means, lol. Just to make one's word salad look tastier, and pretend it's about facts, not about one's imagination, or delusions, or wishful thinking about a simple story.

What i think it is, at least on YouTube most of the time, is some grad student who took a degree in philosophy or social science, and realized that they pretty much have a useless degree. And so the only thing they can really do to apply that knowledge is to make these video essays. But yeah about theories, I used to like them all the time, but the older I get, the more I realize that not only are there very many different interpretations of a given work of art, much of the original message also gets lost in translation when changing it from different cultures. So in most cases, there's very little reason to actually get invested in it. And so I've approached them with a bit more skepticism these days.

deg said:
@DreamWindow err no i just got a lot of free time anyway my major greenhouse footprint is this old computer im using thats it anyway im gonna end this here since you think im too passionate about this when i just got a lot of time to waste

You mean you are not passionate about this issue, when you write paragraph after paragraph describing how we should erect a dictatorship because of it? Weird flex, but ok.

and lastly i only believe in force when its necessary evil

Of course. Every dictator says they only want to use force for what is "necessary". But it never really stays limited to that, now does it?
DreamWindowDec 3, 2023 2:22 PM

Dec 3, 2023 2:23 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Adnash
DreamWindow said:
@Adnash philosophy can apply to anything so why exclude teenage anime? heck a blank painting is considered art too one time and they apply philosophy to it
Dec 3, 2023 2:23 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
Adnash said:

When people are pathologically ideological it can be hard to not speak to them without getting derailed. I tried keeping my responses to the purely philosophical angle, but eventually it ends up getting bound in political trash. Guilty as charged. :P

What i think it is, at least on YouTube most of the time, is some grad student who took a degree in philosophy or social science, and realized that they pretty much have a useless degree. And so the only thing they can really do to apply that knowledge is to make these video essays. But yeah about theories, I used to like them all the time, but the older I get, the more I realize that not only are there very many different interpretations of a given work of art, much of the original message also gets lost in translation when changing it from different cultures. So in most cases, there's very little reason to actually get invested in it. And so I've approached them with a bit more skepticism these days.

deg said:

You mean you are not passionate about this issue, when you write paragraph after paragraph describing how we should erect a dictatorship because of it? Weird flex, but ok.

Of course. Every dictator says they only want to use force for what is "necessary". But it never really stays limited to that, now does it?
@DreamWindow you write more words than me though

im not gonna be surprise if you think all governments are dictators then
Dec 3, 2023 2:45 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to deg

deg said:

It's not about the amount of words, but rather the content of the words, and how emotionally charged they are. It seems as if you are trying to say anything short of radical change, regardless of what it is, is the only answer to a given problem. That's not usually a position that someone holds on an issue that they are not passionate about. And I've seen you comment on this same issue multiple times if I recall which makes it more perplexing. The only reason I can see is if you don't want to argue anymore. Which is fine, you're not obligated to respond to me. But it doesn't make sense otherwise.
As for me, I never said I wasn't passionate about my side of the argument. I believe in my positions for a reason. Because they are correct. 😎

I never said that. The reason why I brought up dictatorships is because you seem to be advocating for the override of the democratic process in order to enact the use of force necessary to tackle climate issues. This is antithetical to how a democratic / republican government is supposed to function.

Dec 3, 2023 2:58 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to deg
@Adnash philosophy can apply to anything so why exclude teenage anime? heck a blank painting is considered art too one time and they apply philosophy to it
@deg I never mentioned excluding teenage anime from discussions about philosophy, though. I mentioned a situation when someone is delusional, but tries to hide their delusions under cute coat of fake intellectualism. Philosophy and its jargon is used here in a bastardised way.

Or, to put it simple: we can talk about how sunny weather is beneficial for the planet in many regions, but it's hard to take seriously someone who has just joined discussion only to, let's say, star mumbling about how we are living inside a giant sphere and the Sun is only an artificial lamp created by aliens (yes, I met that kind of person myself once, lol).
Dec 3, 2023 3:04 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Adnash
@deg I never mentioned excluding teenage anime from discussions about philosophy, though. I mentioned a situation when someone is delusional, but tries to hide their delusions under cute coat of fake intellectualism. Philosophy and its jargon is used here in a bastardised way.

Or, to put it simple: we can talk about how sunny weather is beneficial for the planet in many regions, but it's hard to take seriously someone who has just joined discussion only to, let's say, star mumbling about how we are living inside a giant sphere and the Sun is only an artificial lamp created by aliens (yes, I met that kind of person myself once, lol).
@Adnash should we have an intelligence test then to exclude people from talking about philosophy? should dumb and mentally sick people never do philosophy?
Dec 3, 2023 3:34 PM

May 2019
JaniSIr said:
@deg that's just one field of philosophy, philosophers do occasionally try to make statements of objective reality, which just doesn't work...
Arguments for the existence of God are the obvious examples.

Philosophers seem to largely agree, given that a majority of philosophers are atheists. I believe it's even more prominent than among scientists. So, philosophers are using reasoned argumentation to get to a conclusion you happen to agree with. Don't see how there's a good example there.

DreamWindow said:
The act of putting priority on science is inherently a value judgment in of itself. There are many cultures that do not value this at all. And deciding whether or not one approach is superior to the other is also a value judgment. What I am saying, is that facts are always at the discretion of personal values, regardless of what it is. Therefore, a committee who determines and interprets a set of facts will also be applying value judgments in determining the value of that fact, and what should be done about it. There's no one correct reaction to any set of facts. It's all value judgments.

You make reality sound completely subjective. A culture that values alternative medicine that shows no evidence for its efficacy when put under a randomized controlled trial is not on a similar standing with regards to being correct about what's true in the world as one that uses modern medicine with such evidence of efficacy being abundant. The substitute for scientific methodology tends to be things like "it worked for my uncle." There are just better and worse ways at getting at the truth.

Of course, cultures can value ineffective medicines if they want. It just doesn't make the medicine effective, and they are probably valuing it because they have a false impression that it is.
Dec 3, 2023 3:44 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to deg
@Adnash should we have an intelligence test then to exclude people from talking about philosophy? should dumb and mentally sick people never do philosophy?
@deg See, that's what I meant in my post. You're jumping right now to things that were not mentioned earlier and that are not relevant to the discussion, implying that they have somewhat a degree of relevance to the actual subject. This leads not to contribute to the thread and share thoughts on a discussed topic, but to rather build up narration fitting your own ideas and concepts on what and how should be discussed, without having in mind the aforementioned actual subject, the context, or even fellow folks discussing it. Monologues are fun and all, but such way of debating is quite... ironically... pretentious. :P

deg said:
should dumb and mentally sick people never do philosophy?

On a side note, using the examples of "dumb" and "mentally sick" people like that is really unfortunate and rude. Prolly it was not your intention, but this fragment smells of ableism. Just saying.
Dec 3, 2023 4:01 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Adnash
@deg See, that's what I meant in my post. You're jumping right now to things that were not mentioned earlier and that are not relevant to the discussion, implying that they have somewhat a degree of relevance to the actual subject. This leads not to contribute to the thread and share thoughts on a discussed topic, but to rather build up narration fitting your own ideas and concepts on what and how should be discussed, without having in mind the aforementioned actual subject, the context, or even fellow folks discussing it. Monologues are fun and all, but such way of debating is quite... ironically... pretentious. :P

deg said:
should dumb and mentally sick people never do philosophy?

On a side note, using the examples of "dumb" and "mentally sick" people like that is really unfortunate and rude. Prolly it was not your intention, but this fragment smells of ableism. Just saying.
@Adnash youre the one throwing words like this people using jargons are delusional not me so youre the one doing ableism

whats the matter if the laymen uses jargons? imitation is part of learning

im beginning to observe that youre judgemental always looking down on anime fans so im not gonna bother more
degDec 3, 2023 4:16 PM
Dec 3, 2023 4:34 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to deg
@Adnash youre the one throwing words like this people using jargons are delusional not me so youre the one doing ableism

whats the matter if the laymen uses jargons? imitation is part of learning

im beginning to observe that youre judgemental always looking down on anime fans so im not gonna bother more
@deg When we are talking about whether something is pretentious or not, then it's crucial to define what is pretentious or not. Using jargon and delusional approach to discussed topic was hinted in many posts, but somehow you are rustled by the ones I wrote.

You also don't seem to know what does "ableism" mean, but you find it so easy to insult others with bringing this nasty behavior after they have just pointed out that your behavior could be arguably inelegant. That's what I did. What you replied it were general statements making me, @DreamWindow, or other folks reply only to see your counter in the form of further short, ambiguous phrases, as if they came from an echo chamber. That's childish, not gonna lie. One is not obliged to reply with wall of texts, but come on. Too general and short reply doesn't help in grasping what was the author's intention.

deg said:
Then you're seeing what you want to see, not what is actually happening. "Judgemental", "always looking down on anime fans", hah. 🤣 Not that I'm an anime fan myself and I prefer to see inclusiveness to elitism in so-called anime community, or that I have no problem over people enjoying genres I might not be a fan of. Pretty crazy, eh?

I think I remember you using similar ways of conversation before, in a different thread. Gaslighting, overusing fallacies, making the person you don't agree with look as an awful ignorant... Well, while it's something to get used to, let me give you an advice that's rooted in philosophy: according to Schopenhauer, eristic argument ain't a way to have a good convo.
AdnashDec 3, 2023 4:39 PM
Dec 3, 2023 4:35 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Freshell
JaniSIr said:
@deg that's just one field of philosophy, philosophers do occasionally try to make statements of objective reality, which just doesn't work...
Arguments for the existence of God are the obvious examples.

Philosophers seem to largely agree, given that a majority of philosophers are atheists. I believe it's even more prominent than among scientists. So, philosophers are using reasoned argumentation to get to a conclusion you happen to agree with. Don't see how there's a good example there.

DreamWindow said:

You make reality sound completely subjective. A culture that values alternative medicine that shows no evidence for its efficacy when put under a randomized controlled trial is not on a similar standing with regards to being correct about what's true in the world as one that uses modern medicine with such evidence of efficacy being abundant. The substitute for scientific methodology tends to be things like "it worked for my uncle." There are just better and worse ways at getting at the truth.

Of course, cultures can value ineffective medicines if they want. It just doesn't make the medicine effective, and they are probably valuing it because they have a false impression that it is.
Freshell said:

Reality is not subjective, but the values that comprise cultures and communities are based on those people's value judgments, which is subjective. We could consider many cultures throughout history or even in present as backwards, for whatever reason, be it them falling behind scientifically, economically, or whatever else. From our perspective (I'm assuming you are living in a western developed country) it's completely foreign, and in many cases, a tragic state of affairs. But other cultures often have a much different set of values that defines their culture, and by extension, their development.

What I was trying to say, in regards to science, was that most of us in the English speaking world are living in a culture that values things like reason, science, etc. while other cultures are more concerned with things like faith, tradition, etc that may impede them from reaching the same conclusions. So putting value on science is not necessarily a universal thing.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not recommending that people get into alternative medicine, because I believe that modern medicine has largely been a very good thing for humanity. But that's my personal value judgment on the state of affairs. And I don't think forcing everyone to think the same way would ultimately do us any good.
DreamWindowDec 3, 2023 5:03 PM

Dec 3, 2023 4:44 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to Adnash
@deg When we are talking about whether something is pretentious or not, then it's crucial to define what is pretentious or not. Using jargon and delusional approach to discussed topic was hinted in many posts, but somehow you are rustled by the ones I wrote.

You also don't seem to know what does "ableism" mean, but you find it so easy to insult others with bringing this nasty behavior after they have just pointed out that your behavior could be arguably inelegant. That's what I did. What you replied it were general statements making me, @DreamWindow, or other folks reply only to see your counter in the form of further short, ambiguous phrases, as if they came from an echo chamber. That's childish, not gonna lie. One is not obliged to reply with wall of texts, but come on. Too general and short reply doesn't help in grasping what was the author's intention.

deg said:
Then you're seeing what you want to see, not what is actually happening. "Judgemental", "always looking down on anime fans", hah. 🤣 Not that I'm an anime fan myself and I prefer to see inclusiveness to elitism in so-called anime community, or that I have no problem over people enjoying genres I might not be a fan of. Pretty crazy, eh?

I think I remember you using similar ways of conversation before, in a different thread. Gaslighting, overusing fallacies, making the person you don't agree with look as an awful ignorant... Well, while it's something to get used to, let me give you an advice that's rooted in philosophy: according to Schopenhauer, eristic argument ain't a way to have a good convo.
@Adnash delusional is a mental disorder and i keep seeing you insulting anime fans in the forums thats why
Dec 3, 2023 5:02 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
Adnash said:

deg said:

DreamWindow said:
That's true... I mostly, or to be fair - entirely, referred to that one post mentioning climate change and pandemics out of nowhere. In a thread about whether philosophy is pretentious or not. As if there were no other threads to talk about it. I've noticed that some folks must quite enjoy "contributing" to threads like that. Possibly they do it unintentionally. That's what I want to believe in anyway, haha.

DreamWindow said:
What i think it is, at least on YouTube most of the time, is some grad student who took a degree in philosophy or social science, and realized that they pretty much have a useless degree. And so the only thing they can really do to apply that knowledge is to make these video essays.
While I don't want to sound judgemental or ignorant here, sometimes similar thought has also slipped through my mind. That many people passionate in such activities, I mean extreme overthinking while analyzing stuff belonging to popular culture, might be just might-have-been scientists who didn't become an actual researcher working at the college, so they want to compensate (not to say to cope) their failures (even if it wasn't fully their fault) by using their acquired skills with something rather simple and popular. Why broaden your knowledge in a niche subject, when you can use it to craft a fanfic-like text or video on YouTube, and call it as "complex analysis"? :P

DreamWindow said:
But yeah about theories, I used to like them all the time, but the older I get, the more I realize that not only are there very many different interpretations of a given work of art, much of the original message also gets lost in translation when changing it from different cultures. So in most cases, there's very little reason to actually get invested in it. And so I've approached them with a bit more skepticism these days.
Ayy, yes. It can be especially seen among Western manga fans analyzing the source material with ignoring language differences (and thus, possible translation errors); cultural differences; trends where it comes to literature, storytelling, modulation; and so on.

Some fanmade theories I read in the past were quite fun and interesting, even if reading them in general have never been one of my hobbies, lol. The thing is, some people at some point began to further overthink everything suggested in a fantheory. That led to them building up more like an alternative version of the existing story, not a theory about the source material's actual plot. In some cases, like in Attack on Titan manga fanbase's case, such mental gymnastics made a lot of fans think that this or that headcanon was the actual story and if the story doesn't follow it, then it was faulty.
AdnashDec 3, 2023 5:10 PM
Dec 3, 2023 5:15 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Adnash
DreamWindow said:
That's true... I mostly, or to be fair - entirely, referred to that one post mentioning climate change and pandemics out of nowhere. In a thread about whether philosophy is pretentious or not. As if there were no other threads to talk about it. I've noticed that some folks must quite enjoy "contributing" to threads like that. Possibly they do it unintentionally. That's what I want to believe in anyway, haha.

DreamWindow said:
What i think it is, at least on YouTube most of the time, is some grad student who took a degree in philosophy or social science, and realized that they pretty much have a useless degree. And so the only thing they can really do to apply that knowledge is to make these video essays.
While I don't want to sound judgemental or ignorant here, sometimes similar thought has also slipped through my mind. That many people passionate in such activities, I mean extreme overthinking while analyzing stuff belonging to popular culture, might be just might-have-been scientists who didn't become an actual researcher working at the college, so they want to compensate (not to say to cope) their failures (even if it wasn't fully their fault) by using their acquired skills with something rather simple and popular. Why broaden your knowledge in a niche subject, when you can use it to craft a fanfic-like text or video on YouTube, and call it as "complex analysis"? :P

DreamWindow said:
But yeah about theories, I used to like them all the time, but the older I get, the more I realize that not only are there very many different interpretations of a given work of art, much of the original message also gets lost in translation when changing it from different cultures. So in most cases, there's very little reason to actually get invested in it. And so I've approached them with a bit more skepticism these days.
Ayy, yes. It can be especially seen among Western manga fans analyzing the source material with ignoring language differences (and thus, possible translation errors); cultural differences; trends where it comes to literature, storytelling, modulation; and so on.

Some fanmade theories I read in the past were quite fun and interesting, even if reading them in general have never been one of my hobbies, lol. The thing is, some people at some point began to further overthink everything suggested in a fantheory. That led to them building up more like an alternative version of the existing story, not a theory about the source material's actual plot. In some cases, like in Attack on Titan manga fanbase's case, such mental gymnastics made a lot of fans think that this or that headcanon was the actual story and if the story doesn't follow it, then it was faulty.
Adnash said:

Well, he can't make any threads dedicated to climate change, since they'd just get locked, so a thread like this is a way to sort of skirt the rules on that front, since mods don't usually check these long form arguments. Not that any of this was planned. I just thought I'd bear some responsibility, since I was engaging in it, but I'll take the pass! ;D @deg just so I'm not talking behind anyone's back.

Adnash said:

Yeah that's what I think. Obviously it's different for some people. I do believe that some people are just obsessed with the material, that they learn on their own time, and try to incorporate it into something that they are fixated on. Which... is arguably more sad? I don't know. Not to say there's never any good content that comes out of it, but most of the time, it's not exactly profound anymore when every essay begins with something about neoliberalism or some shit.

Adnash said:
That's true. It can be especially seen among Western manga fans analyzing the source material with ignoring language differences (and thus, possible translation errors); cultural differences; trends where it comes to literature, storytelling, modulation; and so on.

Oh, I've totally seen that kind of thing before. Yeah it can get out of hand. What's worse, is when there is no definitive interpretation from the artist, and things are left open ended. I am a fan of one game that has zero dialogue and zero story, so it's pretty much all up to interpretation, but some people like to claim that popular fan theories as fact. It drives me crazy.

Adnash said:

It's like he starts discussions, but doesn't actually want to hear other people's input.

Dec 7, 2023 2:04 PM

Jun 2019
katsucats said:
No, philosophy is not pretentious if it's driven by a genuine curiosity for the unexplored. But a lot of times people conflate philosophy with rehashing centuries old semantics problems and cliches that are more for the historian than anyone trying to spearhead original thought. That's pretentious. You know, every time someone makes yet another post about "subjectivity" or "free will" is pretentious. Every time someone gets asked about mathematics and resorts to quoting fanciful jargon of people in the past, and hijacks the conversation from the exploration of the unknown to the memorization of the known -- is pretentious. And yes, I'm referring to real life MAL members and you know who I'm referring to, but that's what populates MAL nowadays, not actual philosophy.

Your veiled attacks are so lame that you have only ended up painting yourself. You will never "spearhead" anything original in your non-existent intellectual existence.

katsucats said:
Spoken like the high minded poseur that intends to confuse rather than enlighten, with the self satisfaction of unnecessary jargon to masquerade ignorance. There are philosophers that explore ideas, and then there are people that love to recite the ideas of other philosophers to approximate and virtue signal greatness. It's quite easy to tell the wheat from the chaff.

You will always remain an negligible intellectual quantity, katsucats, no matter how often you triple-post in such threads. It should be obvious that your angry messages are just aimed at appeasing your bruised ego caused by the humiliation you felt after trying to make sense out of my memes and failed in this endeavour. I have already explained countless times my position on the mathematical aspects of this conversation, and my memes are deeper than your rants. In fact, if you were not so intellectually dishonest, you would have noticed that we actually agree here when it comes to the extremely disappointing arguments @JaniSIr has tried to make against mathematics in this thread (everything boiled down to an unjustified anti-Platonist position, which does not amount to anything). What jargon? I have only used basic notions here. It should be clear that if you do not master those elementary concepts, you are unable to think about the philosophical significance of mathematics or what they represent from a phenomenological viewpoint, and therefore disqualified in this conversation. My memes are crystal-clear, and I am extremely charitable for putting myself to the intellectual level of people like you—although I aim higher. You should thank me instead of expecting that I will take you by the hand and walk you around concepts that are trivial to me. You are a truly pathetic sight, calling everyone a retard (whilst whining all day about the 1st Amendment and the "N-word"—stupid American concept by the way) and an incel and posing yourself as some kind of moral and intellectual reference, although you are just another ignorant American whose knowledge is restricted to pop culture and whose political landscape is the liberals/conservatives fake duality. The only thing that you have accomplished here is to show that once more, you are a master of projection.

You are pretentious for using mathematical symbols for basic logic in a thread on an anime website. You mind is that of an incel (extreme entitlement) for expecting that I, the intellectual heir of Galois and Grothendieck, will lecture you for free on mathematics and epistemology. You are the virtue signaler for calling everyone a fascist, an incel, a retard whilst crying about those who dare using slurs unapproved by the Democratic Party.

On the other hand, my memes are witty, amusing, show a lot of love for the topic and a love even greater for the legendary mathematicians of the past (ouch, I guess that it must have hurt your frail self-esteem to realise that you were unable to recognise most mathematicians of my memes!). And it should be clear that in the internet age, people can at most understand memes, one should not ask too much from them.

I liked your Biblical metaphor though, it just sounds funny in the mouth of a crass atheist.

@deg It is a pity that the argument has derailed, but you were right of course. There is never any emergency for people who pretend to cherish "freedom," except when it is about sending the same people to war. It is clear that we need to completely change the fabrics of society if we want to tackle climate warming. And no, it should not be a disaster to stop using the plane to go to holidays and get rid of useless jobs that create artificial wealth but real pollution. As usual, one should not completely centre the discussion on climate but rather on pollution. It is clear that we are destroying the lands with intensive agriculture, polluting the ocean and the air with our industry, and that we need to do something about it, lest survival become difficult for a significant part of mankind. "Moderate" solutions will do no good:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-65754296
Dec 7, 2023 3:00 PM

Jul 2021
Meusnier said:
There is never any emergency for people who pretend to cherish "freedom," except when it is about sending the same people to war.

So just because I'm against fear mongering I'm suddenly pro-war? What sort of logic is that...
Dec 7, 2023 3:46 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
Adnash said:

Well, he can't make any threads dedicated to climate change, since they'd just get locked, so a thread like this is a way to sort of skirt the rules on that front, since mods don't usually check these long form arguments. Not that any of this was planned. I just thought I'd bear some responsibility, since I was engaging in it, but I'll take the pass! ;D @deg just so I'm not talking behind anyone's back.

Adnash said:

Yeah that's what I think. Obviously it's different for some people. I do believe that some people are just obsessed with the material, that they learn on their own time, and try to incorporate it into something that they are fixated on. Which... is arguably more sad? I don't know. Not to say there's never any good content that comes out of it, but most of the time, it's not exactly profound anymore when every essay begins with something about neoliberalism or some shit.

Adnash said:
That's true. It can be especially seen among Western manga fans analyzing the source material with ignoring language differences (and thus, possible translation errors); cultural differences; trends where it comes to literature, storytelling, modulation; and so on.

Oh, I've totally seen that kind of thing before. Yeah it can get out of hand. What's worse, is when there is no definitive interpretation from the artist, and things are left open ended. I am a fan of one game that has zero dialogue and zero story, so it's pretty much all up to interpretation, but some people like to claim that popular fan theories as fact. It drives me crazy.

Adnash said:

It's like he starts discussions, but doesn't actually want to hear other people's input.
DreamWindow said:
Well, he can't make any threads dedicated to climate change, since they'd just get locked, so a thread like this is a way to sort of skirt the rules on that front, since mods don't usually check these long form arguments.
Ahh, it makes sense then.

Funny enough, I support the climate change awareness and taking measurements to stop its devastating consequences on humans in particular and on the world's environment as a whole. Yet, I don't think that radical happenings aimed to "spread the word by vandalism", coming usually from so-called "climate activists", are the way to educate people. They do more harm than good, and make the whole subject look like something attracting extremists, instead of being inclusive enough to result in educating the masses.

Less obnoxious, yet still not helpful at all, is too far going alarmist approach, with mentioning said things in places that are not the best ones to talk about them. Or to put it simpler: if someone likes fried chicken, then it'd be at least awkward to enter, let's say, an anime convention and yell about how fried chicken is top-tier food. Sure, one might do that, but one shouldn't be surprised when folks start to ask "eeer okay, but what does it have to do with our convention?".

DreamWindow said:
The saddest part is howany of those "intellectual takes on [insert something]" look as if they were AI generated, or at least copypasted with small changes in vocabulary. Similar arguments, just referring to different groups or ideologies, with using a lot of buzzwords pretending to be disguised as a jargon used among scholars. Fascist, communist, modernist, liberal, (yadda yadda) - these words differ a lot from each other when it comes to their meaning, origins, linguistics, and many more, yet you can pretty much see people using them in so ambiguous and generic way that their original meaning is washed away.

That's why you can pick up a random "in-depth philosophical anime analysis" and just swap them as much as you like, and you will still end up with a text presenting similar (low) intellectual quality and/or significance. Just the leading topic may differ, but most of said analysis is the same, when in fact it shouldn't be, because the fact that two different ideologies belong to one branch of study (political studies) doesn't meant they are the same, or even similar.

Well... But they can be treated like that, if someone wants to dwell into metaphysics and wonder about stuff like "what if freedom was slavery, and slavery was freedom". Ironically, I actually heard this line from one of my friend's colleagues, who was a philosophy graduate, lol. So it's not like philosophical pretentiousness is a rare thing usually encountered only on the Internet. :P
AdnashDec 7, 2023 3:50 PM
Dec 7, 2023 4:16 PM

Jan 2009
@Meusnier

yep the way they want moderate solutions to dire situations sounds like if they got a severe wound that needs stitches they want band aid instead lol
Dec 7, 2023 4:29 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Adnash
DreamWindow said:
Well, he can't make any threads dedicated to climate change, since they'd just get locked, so a thread like this is a way to sort of skirt the rules on that front, since mods don't usually check these long form arguments.

Funny enough, I support the climate change awareness and taking measurements to stop its devastating consequences on humans in particular and on the world's environment as a whole. Yet, I don't think that radical happenings aimed to "spread the word by vandalism", coming usually from so-called "climate activists", are the way to educate people. They do more harm than good, and make the whole subject look like something attracting extremists, instead of being inclusive enough to result in educating the masses.

Less obnoxious, yet still not helpful at all, is too far going alarmist approach, with mentioning said things in places that are not the best ones to talk about them. Or to put it simpler: if someone likes fried chicken, then it'd be at least awkward to enter, let's say, an anime convention and yell about how fried chicken is top-tier food. Sure, one might do that, but one shouldn't be surprised when folks start to ask "eeer okay, but what does it have to do with our convention?".

DreamWindow said:
The saddest part is howany of those "intellectual takes on [insert something]" look as if they were AI generated, or at least copypasted with small changes in vocabulary. Similar arguments, just referring to different groups or ideologies, with using a lot of buzzwords pretending to be disguised as a jargon used among scholars. Fascist, communist, modernist, liberal, (yadda yadda) - these words differ a lot from each other when it comes to their meaning, origins, linguistics, and many more, yet you can pretty much see people using them in so ambiguous and generic way that their original meaning is washed away.

That's why you can pick up a random "in-depth philosophical anime analysis" and just swap them as much as you like, and you will still end up with a text presenting similar (low) intellectual quality and/or significance. Just the leading topic may differ, but most of said analysis is the same, when in fact it shouldn't be, because the fact that two different ideologies belong to one branch of study (political studies) doesn't meant they are the same, or even similar.

Well... But they can be treated like that, if someone wants to dwell into metaphysics and wonder about stuff like "what if freedom was slavery, and slavery was freedom". Ironically, I actually heard this line from one of my friend's colleagues, who was a philosophy graduate, lol. So it's not like philosophical pretentiousness is a rare thing usually encountered only on the Internet. :P
Adnash said:

Not even just the vandalism, but I the notion that people should be content with changing the way that they live their lives is a very tall ask for anyone, especially those who don't have a good standing already, and people expect people to just be okay with a radical change for something that they can't even see the benefit of.
You can see that with @deg and @Meusnier. I don't think it's too unreasonable that people should have the luxury of flying home to their families, or flying abroad in search of new opportunities. I think that would be a damn shame if they lost those opportunities. And there's not even a guarantee that some kind of regime erected to tackle these issues would even be successful. But to people who don't value those things, it can be impossible to reason with them. That's what I was trying to say before, is that people have different value structures, and forcing it on them will cause more harm than good.

Yeah, true. CD does have some level of off topic discussion, but at the end of the day this is an anime site.

Adnash said:

Sometimes yeah... often times it doesn't even make sense. I don't know if you've played the Metal Gear Solid games, but the types of video "essays" are filled with this kind of thing. Often times ignoring the logic of the series, in favour of trying to mention a real world political ideology. Sometimes they can line up, but often times, if you use the logic of the series, the arguments fall apart.

Adnash said:

LOL that quote is so bad. Not to be evoke the "literally 1984" meme, but "freedom is slavery" is literally Orwellian doublespeak. Like I'm pretty sure they actually use that in the book. The answer to that is simple:
"You can be free or be a slave, but you can't be both."

@JaniSIr I thought so. If people are unironically espousing the rhetoric of the party you know we have problems.
DreamWindowDec 7, 2023 5:38 PM

Dec 7, 2023 5:07 PM

Jul 2021
DreamWindow said:
LOL that quote is so bad. Not to be evoke the "literally 1984" meme, but "freedom is slavery" is literally Orwellian doublespeak. Like I'm pretty sure they actually use that in the book. The answer to that is simple:

That is correct. I only watched the movie, but it's literally in it.
Dec 7, 2023 10:56 PM

Jan 2009
@DreamWindow

just to be clear about my stance on global warming is it radical to have carbon tax for the rich then use those funds to make carbon dioxide removal technologies (no planting trees is not enough since you need a forest the size of america to suck enough carbon in the air) and even research on climate engineering like solar sunshade?
Dec 7, 2023 11:29 PM

Dec 2013
I don't see what's the use of discussing things such as this
Its rather being productive with something in real life
People in this thread will have different opinion and probably mostly tend to try hard winning arguments etc. over a topic that is no clear answer on it
IMO thats big waste of time

Dec 8, 2023 12:54 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow

just to be clear about my stance on global warming is it radical to have carbon tax for the rich then use those funds to make carbon dioxide removal technologies (no planting trees is not enough since you need a forest the size of america to suck enough carbon in the air) and even research on climate engineering like solar sunshade?
@deg That's rather pointless, any energy you invest into removing carbon would have been better just used directly, reducing the need to burn coal. You are trying to fight entropy.
Dec 8, 2023 12:58 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to JaniSIr
@deg That's rather pointless, any energy you invest into removing carbon would have been better just used directly, reducing the need to burn coal. You are trying to fight entropy.
@JaniSIr you know the greenhouse effect? im confuse by your comment
Dec 8, 2023 1:11 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to deg
@deg
He's assuming that if you do anything it will just create more greenhouse gasses. That would only be true in some cases of experiments not where people actually calculated emissions from production, transport, and maintenance.
Dec 8, 2023 1:17 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to deg
@deg Entropy. You will need to expend more energy to bind that carbon than you initially gained from burning it.

It's fine when you just plant trees and such, that doesn't use electricity, but if you already went through the effort to make electricity, using it to remove carbon from air while coal plants still exist, that's just bad...
Dec 8, 2023 1:21 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to JaniSIr
@deg Entropy. You will need to expend more energy to bind that carbon than you initially gained from burning it.

It's fine when you just plant trees and such, that doesn't use electricity, but if you already went through the effort to make electricity, using it to remove carbon from air while coal plants still exist, that's just bad...
@JaniSIr entropy is inevitable but it can be delayed thats the point

so whats your solution? lets hear it or you think global warming is not a problem?
Dec 8, 2023 1:25 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to traed
@deg
He's assuming that if you do anything it will just create more greenhouse gasses. That would only be true in some cases of experiments not where people actually calculated emissions from production, transport, and maintenance.
@traed ye its like he does not know about net zero
Dec 8, 2023 4:05 AM
Sep 2022
By the logic of the climate 'scientists' all traces of life on this planet should have disappeared long ago following the Carboniferous Period ( without any re-emergence ).
Dec 8, 2023 4:46 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
Adnash said:

Not even just the vandalism, but I the notion that people should be content with changing the way that they live their lives is a very tall ask for anyone, especially those who don't have a good standing already, and people expect people to just be okay with a radical change for something that they can't even see the benefit of.
You can see that with @deg and @Meusnier. I don't think it's too unreasonable that people should have the luxury of flying home to their families, or flying abroad in search of new opportunities. I think that would be a damn shame if they lost those opportunities. And there's not even a guarantee that some kind of regime erected to tackle these issues would even be successful. But to people who don't value those things, it can be impossible to reason with them. That's what I was trying to say before, is that people have different value structures, and forcing it on them will cause more harm than good.

Yeah, true. CD does have some level of off topic discussion, but at the end of the day this is an anime site.

Adnash said:

Sometimes yeah... often times it doesn't even make sense. I don't know if you've played the Metal Gear Solid games, but the types of video "essays" are filled with this kind of thing. Often times ignoring the logic of the series, in favour of trying to mention a real world political ideology. Sometimes they can line up, but often times, if you use the logic of the series, the arguments fall apart.

Adnash said:

@JaniSIr I thought so. If people are unironically espousing the rhetoric of the party you know we have problems.
DreamWindow said:
LOL that quote is so bad. Not to be evoke the "literally 1984" meme, but "freedom is slavery" is literally Orwellian doublespeak. Like I'm pretty sure they actually use that in the book.
Aye, what that guy said gave me really strong "literally 1984" vibes. I'm 100% sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if said person was a fan of that one book written by George Orwell, lol.

It's an actual quote from "1984". It goes like: "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength." if I remember correctly. Meh, personally I'm not a fan of George Orwell and his books. Leaving him as an author and focusing more on stuff he created, his books are not bad per se and have a lot of interesting things to offer, but at the same time it's not like they present revolutionary, absolute and final knowledge, like many apologists of George Orwell like to claim sometimes. At least those I met myself, be it in real life or on the Internet. It's of course not George Orwell's fault, but his books became so widely read that their initial meaning started becoming more and more vulgarised, as a mere element of popular culture. Overrated, even. As much as I dislike using this word, it fits here.

DreamWindow said:
Hah, it reminds of me of some discussion I've been seeing in various places, regarding the final episode of Attack on Titan. They were about that "slave to freedom" theme. Leaving the area of anime alone, it's quite an interesting paradox, hehe. Only if elaborated upon, even a little. Because mentioning it for the sake of including it into a discussion might be indeed seen as pretentious. Well, if someone really wants to discuss about philosophic aspects of it, that is.
AdnashDec 8, 2023 4:51 AM
Dec 8, 2023 4:03 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow

deg said:

Before I get into that, I would like to illustrate that you have already suggested to me, multiple times, that we need some kind of drastic action to be taken place. So regardless of what I think on one given policy is largely irrelevant. I do not believe that such a bureaucracy would remain limited to these purposes. Because, regardless of how well meaning they are, they never do. This is made especially worse, when you consider that different people seem to have different solutions. There is no clear consensus for where the line needs to be drawn, until the regime gets in power and actually starts implementing these policies.

But to give you a proper answer, I'll give you an example of one of the policies you outlined above. It's not clear that Carbon Taxes here are actually going to the purposes that you mentioned above, but the implementation of such a tax has already left so many people in the prairies destitute. Businesses closing, unemployment rates increasing, suicide rates increasing, and for what? When does it end? The goalpost keeps moving, in the race for 0 emissions, and people are suffering for it right now. It's not just the "rich" that will pay for this. These are working class people, and honest upstarts who are getting screwed over, for the interests of third parties claiming to speak on behalf of them.

I value rule of law. The only way to have a functioning, stable society, is to have clear rules that everyone should follow. Not rules that arbitrarily change on a whim.

Dec 8, 2023 4:09 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Adnash
DreamWindow said:
LOL that quote is so bad. Not to be evoke the "literally 1984" meme, but "freedom is slavery" is literally Orwellian doublespeak. Like I'm pretty sure they actually use that in the book.
Aye, what that guy said gave me really strong "literally 1984" vibes. I'm 100% sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if said person was a fan of that one book written by George Orwell, lol.

It's an actual quote from "1984". It goes like: "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength." if I remember correctly. Meh, personally I'm not a fan of George Orwell and his books. Leaving him as an author and focusing more on stuff he created, his books are not bad per se and have a lot of interesting things to offer, but at the same time it's not like they present revolutionary, absolute and final knowledge, like many apologists of George Orwell like to claim sometimes. At least those I met myself, be it in real life or on the Internet. It's of course not George Orwell's fault, but his books became so widely read that their initial meaning started becoming more and more vulgarised, as a mere element of popular culture. Overrated, even. As much as I dislike using this word, it fits here.

DreamWindow said:
Hah, it reminds of me of some discussion I've been seeing in various places, regarding the final episode of Attack on Titan. They were about that "slave to freedom" theme. Leaving the area of anime alone, it's quite an interesting paradox, hehe. Only if elaborated upon, even a little. Because mentioning it for the sake of including it into a discussion might be indeed seen as pretentious. Well, if someone really wants to discuss about philosophic aspects of it, that is.
Adnash said:

That's a fair assessment. But I think it is a testament to the values displayed in it, since it is still relevant in discussion to this day. I have yet to read it in full, so I will spare you a proper assessment of the man and his works.

Adnash said:

People tend to misinterpret or misunderstand what those terms actually mean. A free man is a man who is left to his own devices. He is not owed any form of material standard, but he is owed some manner of human decency. Now of course we can go deep into what material standards are, and what human decency means, but in general, I think that's a good assessment on what a free man is, as opposed to a slave, who is someone who is being held back by others, for their own purposes. I'm not super familiar with Attack on Titan, so I'm not sure what exact scene you are talking about, but I think that should give you a general idea on my stance.

Thanks for letting me ramble by the way lol.

Dec 8, 2023 4:40 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
deg said:

Before I get into that, I would like to illustrate that you have already suggested to me, multiple times, that we need some kind of drastic action to be taken place. So regardless of what I think on one given policy is largely irrelevant. I do not believe that such a bureaucracy would remain limited to these purposes. Because, regardless of how well meaning they are, they never do. This is made especially worse, when you consider that different people seem to have different solutions. There is no clear consensus for where the line needs to be drawn, until the regime gets in power and actually starts implementing these policies.

But to give you a proper answer, I'll give you an example of one of the policies you outlined above. It's not clear that Carbon Taxes here are actually going to the purposes that you mentioned above, but the implementation of such a tax has already left so many people in the prairies destitute. Businesses closing, unemployment rates increasing, suicide rates increasing, and for what? When does it end? The goalpost keeps moving, in the race for 0 emissions, and people are suffering for it right now. It's not just the "rich" that will pay for this. These are working class people, and honest upstarts who are getting screwed over, for the interests of third parties claiming to speak on behalf of them.

I value rule of law. The only way to have a functioning, stable society, is to have clear rules that everyone should follow. Not rules that arbitrarily change on a whim.
@DreamWindow you will never find any solutions or compromise if you keep thinking in slippery slope fallacy
Dec 8, 2023 5:07 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow you will never find any solutions or compromise if you keep thinking in slippery slope fallacy
deg said:

A very mentally lazy response. Did you even read what I said? I can just as easily call to the appeal to authority fallacy on you. But that doesn't get us anywhere. I could argue that what I said is not even a fallacy, considering there is extensive record of government bureaus exceeding their intended purpose, but that's besides the point. At the end of the day, it's you who is pushing for radical change, and tearing the fabrics of society. The burden is on you to come up with solutions that don't compromise people's standard of living, and to actually sell that to the people who you are going to affect, but the only thing you provide is for it to be forced upon them, whether they like it or not, as if they are serfs. I've already given you examples on how carbon taxes have fucked over much of the working class in the prairies. And climate activists want to keep pushing those measures further and further. So why should anyone put up with such repeated acts of aggression on their livelihoods?
DreamWindowDec 8, 2023 5:30 PM

Dec 8, 2023 5:10 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to deg
@deg The slippery slope is not inherently a fallacy.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Yesterday

27 by Zayvex »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

25 by ISeeLifePeople »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - Apr 24

13 by Kwanthemaster »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

32 by Kwanthemaster »»
51 minutes ago

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 24

15 by Kwanthemaster »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.