Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Good Night World' Gets Anime for October 2023, Manga Prequel

New
Jul 31, 2023 8:40 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
An official website for an anime adaptation of Uru Okabe's Good Night World manga was opened by production company Mixer on Monday, revealing the main staff, cast, theme songs, key visual (pictured), and the first promotional video. The anime is scheduled to premiere worldwide on Netflix on October 12.

Cast
Taichirou Arima/Ichi: Daisuke Hirose (Oushitsu Kyoushi Heine)
Asuma Arima/Aaaaa: Nobunaga Shimazaki (Sword Art Online: Alicization)
Koujirou Arima/Shirou Akabane: Akio Ootsuka (Vinland Saga)
Miyabi Arima/May: Aya Endou (Shinsekai yori)
Pico: Aoi Yuuki (Youjo Senki)
Leon: Ryouhei Kimura (Mairimashita! Iruma-kun)
Sasmata: Hiroki Nanami (Somali to Mori no Kamisama)
Shigatera: Kenjirou Tsuda (Chainsaw Man)
Hana Kamuro: Rie Takahashi (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu)
Aya Arima: Inori Minari (Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka)

Staff
Director: Katsuya Kikuchi (Oushitsu Kyoushi Heine)
Series Composition, Script: Michiko Yokote (Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi)
Character Design: Suzuna Okuyama (Sengoku Night Blood)
Chief Animation Director: Suzuna Okuyama, Chinami Sekine (Oushitsu Kyoushi Heine Movie), Haruka Sanetou (Sabikui Bisco animation director)
Main Animator: Kazuo Takigawa (Keishichou Tokumubu Tokushu Kyouakuhan Taisakushitsu Dainanaka: Tokunana chief animation director), Shingo Nakamura (Sonny Boy key animation)
Creature Design: Kazuo Takigawa
Prop Design: Akira Ootsuka (Idol Memories)
Art Design: Ryuusuke Shiino (Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!?)
Color Design: Yukiko Ario (Munou na Nana)
In-Between Animation Director: Yukie Kaneko (Egao no Daika)
Director of Photography: Haruka Itou (Bakuten!!)
CG Director: Kunihiko Mita (Id:Invaded)
Music: Takatsugu Wakabayashi (Skip to Loafer)
Sound Director: Chikako Yokota (Nanatsu no Taizai: Kamigami no Gekirin)
Sound Effects: Katsuhiro Nakajima (Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi)
Sound Production: Sonilude
Editing: Rina Oguchi (Kyuukyoku Shinka shita Full Dive RPG ga Genjitsu yori mo Kusoge Dattara)
Production Producer: Yasuo Suda (Hoshi no Samidare)
Production Desk: Nobuo Takagi
Studio: NAZ

Nijisanji Vtuber Kuzuha is performing the opening theme "Black Crack" and Vtuber duo Nornis will perform the ending theme "salvia." The opening is previewed in the promotional video below.

Okabe serialized the fantasy drama manga on the Ura Sunday and MangaONE websites from December 2015 to January 2017. Shogakukan shipped the fifth and final volume in March 2017. A prequel manga by Okabe, titled Good Night World End, will begin serialization on the MangaONE website on August 1.

Synopsis
In the online game "Planet," there is a powerful team of four players. This team goes by the name "The Akabane Family," and its members are a pseudo-family that only exists in the game. Although they aren't aware of it, these four players are actually a broken family in real life.

A shut-in older brother. A high-achieving younger brother. A father who is not respected by his own children. A mother who neglects her own household. They do not know the warmth of family. They also don't know that the warmth of their online family is only a passing feeling. And most of all, they don't know they are a real family.

Centered on the deeds of the Akabane Family in the online game "Planet," the story features battles against monsters, clashes with other guilds, and the machinations surrounding "Black Bird," the final objective of the game. The tale takes a major turn as it entangles the real world and this real family. (Source: Netflix, edited)

PV

Official site: https://gnw-anime.com/
Official Twitter: @GNW_anime

Source: Comic Natalie

Good Night World on MAL
VindstotJul 31, 2023 4:22 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 31, 2023 10:34 AM

Sep 2020
Looks interesting :⁠)
Jul 31, 2023 11:40 AM

Feb 2011
I'm curious about it... maybe I'll watch
Jul 31, 2023 1:15 PM

Aug 2010
I've never even heard of this manga, but the premise is interesting. I have Netflix, so I may check this out.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jul 31, 2023 2:03 PM

Jan 2023
This looks very interesting, luckily I have Netflix so I’ll probably check it out.

Oh by NAZ? Hmmm.

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
Jul 31, 2023 3:39 PM

Nov 2012
Yuuki-san, lets freaking GOOOO!!!

My Candies:

Jul 31, 2023 4:04 PM

Dec 2015
i've seen some of NAZ's shows in the past. they're a decent bunch of shows as to quality and beauty... but the writing choices they've made in previous projects i've seen? meh. some were average at best.

'Biscuit Hammer'? ugh, that was terrible, i couldn't even get past the first episode. either the source or NAZ's screenwriters stink.

'Infinite Dendrogram'... meh writing. fun story and it looked gorgeous... but the way the story was plotted out was average.

'Id:Invaded', was great! visually it needed more polish to make everything look less... artificial/made by computers in the real-world segments vs the trippy, peculiar, and definitely CGA all to hell 'mind invasion' segments of that show. as to the writing, superb! one of the best murder mysteries i've seen in anime!

'My Sister, My Writer' ok. this show gets a REALLY bad rap! honestly, even though it was only 10 episodes with two 12-minute specials i enjoyed the hell! outta this show! visually great with a damn fun story. even with a bumrush treatment in the screenplay, everything just meshed well.

my first exposure to NAZ's work was funnily enough 'My First Girlfriend is a Gal'. great show, enjoyable, goofy, funny, filled with sexy moments with sexy girls, simply gorgeous visually, and in 30 years watching anime 'MFGFIAG' is the ONLY anime that got me interested enough to seriously try the manga out. with only 10 episodes again and one full-length special episode NAZ hit this one outta the park for me. unfortunately, the anime original ending to those 10 broadcast episodes basically turned the final 2 full eps and half of the 3rd to the last episodes into NAZ's efforts to make TV content when there was ZERO source materials available. the story definitely 'feels' entirely different in those sections and NAZ dropped the ball there. i read the manga for free online all the way through Chapter 91 and simply got bored with it.

so, of the FIVE anime i've seen that NAZ has made, only ONE had a screenplay that i thought was entirely awesome. TWO were shows with GOOD to ABOVE AVERAGE screenwriting. ONE show totally sucked and ONE show was just average. IMHO, a studio that can barely score a 50% with me? definitely not a studio i'm following closely, 'Good Night World' looks interesting enough for me to give it 'The Three Episode Rule' in October... but i don't have high expectations for it.
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Aug 1, 2023 2:35 AM

Apr 2012
I didn't quite understand the words about the prequel in the title. Will the manga get a prequel? Or will the anime be a prequel to the manga?
Aug 1, 2023 6:14 AM

May 2020
RobertBobert said:
I didn't quite understand the words about the prequel in the title. Will the manga get a prequel? Or will the anime be a prequel to the manga?

The manga will get a prequel. It's written in the paragraph right before the synopsis.
Aug 1, 2023 6:17 AM

Apr 2012
TitanInsane said:
RobertBobert said:

The manga will get a prequel. It's written in the paragraph right before the synopsis.
Ah, thanks for pointing out the place in the text. Apparently I once again ran through the text too quickly and did not read everything.
Aug 2, 2023 8:54 AM

Aug 2021
omg kuzuha!!!

Aug 5, 2023 7:26 AM

Oct 2017
Watched the PV when it was announced and this looked pretty interesting.
Sep 3, 2023 3:22 PM
Apr 2018
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I REMEMBER READING GOOD NIGHT WORLD!!! I absolutely adore psychological mangas and oh my god I can't believe this is getting an anime adaptation. I would have never thought that Uru Okabe's work would finally get the attention that they deserve!! Does this give us hope for a Sekai Oni anime perhaps?! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

More topics from this board

» 'Isekai Suicide Squad' Announces More Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» Studio Bind Adapts 'Hana wa Saku, Shura no Gotoku' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

Vindstot - Jun 12

47 by OeKusoBaba »»
3 hours ago

» Video Game 'Guilty Gear: Strive' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Jun 13

37 by OeKusoBaba »»
3 hours ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Unveils Additional Staff, Theme Songs, Main Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by 0arche »»
4 hours ago

» A-1 Pictures Acquires Studio 3Hz's Production, Planning Business

Vindstot - Jun 18

20 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.