Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 28, 2023 6:24 PM
Jun 2022
Cestlavie_ said:
4 episodes in , this show isn't all that different from ur usual magical school anime. Why did LN fans hype this up like it would be revolutionary?
honestly first book is good but the later books outclass it fs, it may have tropes but they are subverted and at times they aren’t they’re dome well
Jul 28, 2023 6:31 PM
Jun 2022

sayu-simp said:
so from what we've seen:
bullying is fine
3 bozos with no power can somehow beat a strong mythical beast which just slaughtered lots of mages
you can be forgiven from being a dick as long as you show some bravery (by using one spell)
animal/beast cruelty is not fine UNTIL you're in danger

anyways can't wait for next week.
in objective terms the beast is def not strong, second / third years could easily take it, tise guys were most likely just some bad normie freshmen

With andrews it’s very different, for some reason they cut this out but before the fight michella tells oliver andrews is her relative, and he’s constantly put under crushing pressure to be the best, be better than chela etc. so the mental strain just twisted andrews a lot. I can see why an anime-only would take that interpretation tho 

not sure how they say bullying is fine, though in the world most people don’t like demi-humans so katie to them is very extreme and therefore disliked by many people. Obv that’s not everyone tho. 

Your last point doesn’t make sense, obv if your life’s in danger you’ll want to survive… though they cut down the monologue about katies ideals earlier, she didn’t kill anything so she didn’t betray herself

Great ep. the fight in the ln was super wordy, long, prose filled so to see it adapted this excellently gives me assurance the future fights will be fkn epic cuz this isn’t even the top 5-10 im the series
Jul 28, 2023 6:34 PM
Jun 2022
Animillion said:
Izayoi-kun123 said:

You will see the real Oliver soon

Ok, I’ll continue to hope 🤞🏽
literally from next ep onwards you’ll see him be lit
Jul 28, 2023 6:38 PM

Apr 2022
nanao snapped. i guess the action was kinda cool.
Jul 28, 2023 7:29 PM
Nov 2021
Basically just a rage quit rant, so don't waste your time replying.
This anime has great animation during fights and during the opening song. The rest of it is absolute garbage. I have this on my MAL Fantasy Anime League team so I wanted to watch until it was over, but nah. Its so filled with shit I dont even care if I lose points. There is no main goal to the anime and all it contains is content in trying to make the main characters look good. The fact this anime has more points than Atelier, Dark Gathering, and Helck literally makes no sense and I no longer see a point to caring about doing well in league if it means keeping tabs on shows like this.
Jul 28, 2023 7:49 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Decent episode with the stunning fight against monster boss sequence, Nanao badasses, and all the drama around it especially with moe element Katie having a stupid beef with those bullies piece of shit.

Anyway. Pace getting better here, i like the tense here more. But surely it's not that fast enough to attract more general audience to liking as to how this is so Harry Potter-ish or a general magic-fantasy theme shit can be so frustrating to seen in terms of entertainment or whatever the dissatisfaction comes from. Because the focus seems like to build up more of the basic ground first then entering the main dish already such as what Zom 100 did at their premiere.

All in all, whatever, let's see next!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 28, 2023 8:12 PM

Jul 2021
Triggerfish124 said:
This anime has great animation during fights and during the opening song. The rest of it is absolute garbage. I have this on my MAL Fantasy Anime League team so I wanted to watch until it was over, but nah. Its so filled with shit I dont even care if I lose points. There is no main goal to the anime and all it contains is content in trying to make the main characters look good. The fact this anime has more points than Atelier, Dark Gathering, and Helck literally makes no sense and I no longer see a point to caring about doing well in league if it means keeping tabs on shows like this.

there is sane people, and then there is people who disagree with this.
Jul 28, 2023 8:12 PM

Jul 2021
it goes like this:

resentment > grievance > indifference > tolerance > good heartedness > naivety > ok you can even fuck me in the ass and I'll forgive you > this show.

it's so shameless, so embarrassing, so nonsensical. You get into a brawl when other kids are talking shit about your friend, but when some arrogant idiot who you know is about to set you up and ridicule you, runs and cries like a bitch when he fucks up, is responsible for the injuring or killing of several of the other idiots (they dissapeared from the scene btw), you get all buddy buddy with him, and give him unwarranted respect and credit.

All you see on this thread is the same "wow duuude that fight was AWESOME, EPIC". Nah, it wasn't even that good. Same ass sound mixing as danmachi latest season, making everything quiet but then the fight sfx and screams super fucking loud. Trying to over dramatize when everyone knows exactly what is about to happen. Yeah, they work together and beat the beast, big wow, much surprise...
Jul 28, 2023 8:23 PM
May 2023
I have not read the LN and do like the show, but feel like a bunch of stuff is getting cut? Might start reading this, I'm guessing it's like an edgy anime Harry Potter?
Jul 28, 2023 8:35 PM
Apr 2017
That episode got me hooked. At first, it seemed somewhat generic and very Harry Potter. Some unique qualities though. 

This episode told me this is an anime about real consequences. The characters and story carry a lot more weight when a dangerous world is actually dangerous. I thought it was good action and a good story.

I came here to see the rating on the series and was quite surprised by the 6.7 score. This is one I'm looking forward to this season.

Jul 28, 2023 8:36 PM

Mar 2010
IhnalakoKaina said:
Triggerfish124 said:

Alright I just call you insane for liking Higurashi then.

See how that works? No wonder why a lots people think MAL forums are cesspool no matter what show with posts like this.
Jul 28, 2023 8:48 PM

Feb 2013
I wonder if the Garuda attack is related to the troll incident on the 1st episode? It can't be a coincidence that both incidents are related to magical beasts, right?
Jul 28, 2023 9:05 PM

May 2019
This was one of the better episodes (I noticed the music and animation were pretty good) so far but Oliver, while brave, seems to either be a bit weak or is holding back. My guess is that something will happen that causes him to learn one of the unknown spellblades as I recall there were 5 or so that were known.

Meanwhile Nanao was fearless and strong although she isn't afraid to die anyways.
Jul 28, 2023 9:17 PM

Jul 2021
Iron_Maw said:
IhnalakoKaina said:

See how that works? No wonder why a lots people think MAL forums are cesspool no matter what show with posts like this.

No no, liking this show and disagreeing with this are 2 different things. I like some trash, and if you point out the bad points of higurashi or SAO for that matter, I'll agree and then say, I still like how bad-good it is.

It is feeling offended when someone points out objectively why something sucks that makes Forums become cesspools.
Jul 28, 2023 9:24 PM

Mar 2007
Finally things get serious.

Can't say I blame the Garuda, actually I kind of wish it killed more of those asshole students just to remind them that some of these magical beasts are powerful in their own right, and not to be used for entertainment, amusement or killed for magical spell components.

I'm actually a bit sad that she killed it.
Jul 28, 2023 11:35 PM

Mar 2010
IhnalakoKaina said:
Iron_Maw said:

No no, liking this show and disagreeing with this are 2 different things. I like some trash, and if you point out the bad points of higurashi or SAO for that matter,  I'll agree and then say, I still like how bad-good it is.

It is feeling offended when someone points out objectively why something sucks that makes Forums become cesspools.
My point is that nothing you said objective. For it be objective everyone would have to agree with your standards, that includes the author and animators of this show. Which means it never would have been made to begin with it because nobody would want work something legit bad. So do you see how ridiculous that sounds? That fact gravity exist is objective, you liking something or not subjective. It can be anything but. That just logic not defense and that sort thing should be well understood.

And my comment is perfectly fine in response to what yous said, that only insane people disparage with the poster you quoted.
Iron_MawJul 28, 2023 11:42 PM
Jul 28, 2023 11:36 PM
Apr 2023
Hmmm
The story continues to be kinda edgy/chuunippoi and cheesy-cringey at most, but pretty much what I expect to see in a fantasy story from a light novel.

To be honest, the fight scene was for me above average and one you would not see in such kind of run of the mill anime. Looks like JC Stuff ran the extra mile here.
Jul 28, 2023 11:45 PM

Jul 2017
Part of the conservatist vs. civil rights faction BS going on right now, Katie is trying to make a change on this with Vera, and Oliver prepares for the duel against Richard with Nanao.

The school bullies are growing on Guy's nerves, though there's no point of trying to get involved in their tomfoolery. And as much as Oliver and the others had it with their BS, Oliver did the deed first, supported by Guy and Nanao, though Michela least thought that Oliver would start the provocation first, with the trio being sent to detention. With the 6 of them being against the entire school, they have to make preparations of their own, they enter not into the labyrinth, but a colosseum hidden within it. Richard vs. Oliver and Nanao, his intention is to make it a fair fight, and making it an example with the kobold hunt exhibition battle. Of course, Nanao only sees this as more senseless fighting, and the students all looking for entertainment, there is the unknown factor...of the divine beast familiar Garuda.

Instead of being the prey, the students are being the hunted, and Richard runs like a coward, giving Nanao the chance to fight a genuine battle while the others fend against monsters. Oliver joining the battle with Nanao, and even he is a step back when compared against Nanao, who faces fear and death like a true warrior. The fight scenes, J.C.Staff really knows their stuff to amp at the right moments, especially when both Oliver and Nanao face the Garuda together, with Richard's little assistance that makes the difference between life and death. The embarrassment of the Andrews' clan, he ought to learn a lesson from the both of them in their differing ways that lead to the same outcome.

Other than the usual BS talk here, this show is surprising me lots and lots. Definitely keeping an eye on this now.
Jul 28, 2023 11:50 PM

Jul 2014
-Saphiran- said:
Kuroimi said:
Because he did explain why he tought it was the "Anime of the season", about how much he liked the animation of this episode, how much he liked the characters, and the other mocked him for it without any argument?

I don't think it's the best anime this season either, but I agree to disagree, it's not a reason to mock others because they like something you don't like
Disagree. Man basically wrote "I like it therefor it is anime of the season" and then complained about the score of the show.  And where is mockery? If something like "What do you see in this show that made you Say "Anime Of the season"? is consider mockery then... someone's ego is far too fragile.

He did say "Surely you jest", and proceed to basically say "the only good thing is the opening, why do you even like this?", for me it's a form (albeit small) of mockery
No real argument that people of this site oh so like to ask for, especially when Marinate already said why he liked it
He could've argue by saying why he didn't think the anime was that good, or compare with other shows this season, but he didn't

Or what, you can't even say one show is good because no one else like it now?
Yes he didn't say "Anime of the Season for me" but only "Anime of the Season", but almost everyone does that, and the other way around too ("this show is trash" but no "for me", you just have to look this thread)
Jul 28, 2023 11:50 PM

Oct 2021
Man I really wanna like this show, good animation, hype fight, interesting world building, but I just have too much nitpicks for every single episode.

If only I can turn off my brain and enjoy this...

Well overall it's still good enough I guess.
Jul 29, 2023 12:14 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
It's not the AOTS, not even close, but it wasn't as bad as many people say.

The battle scene was entertaining and decently animated. For the first time the characters showed some sign of depth (except for Katie, who still feels forced). Nanao is especially interesting.

It still feels somewhat generic, and the moralistic "demi-human rights" stuff just doesn't flow well, but that hasn't negatively affected my enjoyment from this show --yet--.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jul 29, 2023 12:22 AM

Jul 2021
Iron_Maw said:
IhnalakoKaina said:

No no, liking this show and disagreeing with this are 2 different things. I like some trash, and if you point out the bad points of higurashi or SAO for that matter,  I'll agree and then say, I still like how bad-good it is.

My point is that nothing you said objective. For it be objective everyone would have to agree with your standards, that includes the author and animators of this show. Which means it never would have been made to begin with it because nobody would want work something legit bad. So do you see how ridiculous that sounds? That fact gravity exist is objective, you liking something or not subjective. It can be anything but. That just logic not defense and that sort thing should be well understood.

And my comment is perfectly fine in response to what yous said, that only insane people disparage with the poster you quoted.

...I just said there's sane people and then there's people who dissagree. Why would you think that the latter are insane? I for sure didn't say that 🤔

you hear the term plot hole be thrown around a lot lately, by people who maybe don't know what it actually means. It refers to an inconsistency or a contradiction in the continuity of the plot.

you know, like the protagonist flying into a rage at the sight of his helpless friend being verbally harassed by cocky, ignorant classmates one scene, to then treating the stereotypical noble idiot who looks down on everyone like a friend the next.

The audio mixing? Right, I don't like blasting my ears with stock overused anime sounds and screams. I'm not even gonna go into how unnatural, dramatic and embarrasing the dialogue is, or how by the book tropey every single character is.

You know what? You're right. It is pretty subjective after all. I don't like corny cliched unselfaware childish awkward stuff. Remove only one of those adjectives and maybe I'd like it. But this has all of them and some more. I guess enjoy "The Iceblade Sorcerer" with an increased budget.
Jul 29, 2023 12:30 AM

Jul 2014
IhnalakoKaina said:
Iron_Maw said:

...I just said there's sane people and then there's people who dissagree. Why would you think that the latter are insane? I for sure didn't say that 🤔
... Because you said the former are the "sane people"?
If the former are the sane people, who are the latter people? the "not-so sane"?
Jul 29, 2023 12:44 AM

Sep 2018
Impressive. Easily the best episode, pleasantly surprised with the animation in that battle. Didn't expect a student massacre either lol (that's if they didn't get healed, some of those wounds looked fatal).
Jul 29, 2023 1:05 AM

Nov 2018
We need more action scene and no to bullies characters
Jul 29, 2023 1:35 AM
Jun 2017
Marinate1016 said:
Cestlavie_ said:
4 episodes in , this show isn't all that different from ur usual magical school anime. Why did LN fans hype this up like it would be revolutionary?

Because it is. You haven’t even finished volume 1 and you’re talking about a series with 10+ volumes 💀

So this is still volume 1 ?
Jul 29, 2023 1:44 AM

Dec 2018
Woah there was a lot packed into this episode, like racism (specism?) and I think a lot of those students died which is just insane I expect this to be a big deal but hopefully at the very least they learned their lesson. Looks like Andrews did.
Jul 29, 2023 1:47 AM

Dec 2018
Embient said:
"I didn't forget! I just couldn't remember!" Is there a difference? Genuine question.
The OP is really growing on me.
The fight with the garuda has some really nice camera movements.
And Oliver is as suspicious as ever. I wonder if we'll get his backstory this season (and it hasn't been confirmed if this will be one or two cours it seems. Two cours would be nice)
This episode was really well animated, nice! One of the best episodes so far.

This episode title: コロシアム(円形闘技場)— Colosseum (Circular arena)
Next episode title: グレアー(蛇眼)— Glare (Snake eye)
I agree but to play devils advocate here: to forget would be considered a complete erasure of knowledge or memory while not remembering could be maybe a temporary thing. but yeah I think you're right and it was meant to a character punchline.
Jul 29, 2023 2:07 AM
Jan 2020
This show has every clichéd in the book it's just impressive, Author's lucky JC Staff turned to Ufotable animating this

Heck why not just make an Harry Potter anime seeing Hermione's already here
Jul 29, 2023 2:08 AM

Jul 2021
Kuroimi said:
IhnalakoKaina said:

... Because you said the former are the "sane people"?
If the former are the sane people, who are the latter people? the "not-so sane"?

I was hoping you could tell by the emoji, that was sarcasm 🤔🤔

It makes sense that if you can't see that you wouldn't be able to see why this episode was so bad.
Jul 29, 2023 2:28 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Impressive episode! I especially like how they animated the Garuda's onslaught as well as Oliver's & Nanao's battle against the Garuda. Love the different camera panning during the Colosseum battles.

I was honestly expecting this anime would earn more appreciation around here but what I've been witnessing in this thread are plenty of haters trash-talking. I've only read volume 1 of the LN but happy to see how things are progressing. Pacing looks fine. I'm liking this anime more and more, but I'll never figure out the mindset of the people who just talk BS about this anime adaptation.
Jul 29, 2023 2:34 AM

Apr 2020
Iron_Maw said:
Primordial_weeb said:

Anime of the season?
Surely you Jest 😃
positiv2 said:
Sure, but there are anime this season that easily obliterate this one in those categories. It's one thing to like it, and that is something I would not disparage anyone for, but calling it anime of the season especially when it's off to a slow and unimpressive start (which is reflected in its rating, now below 7 points) seems just silly at best, an insult to the actual contenders for that title at worst.

You allow to shit on this show but you aren't allow think its the best.

Are guys for real? 

Its their opinion and no more valid than you being sourpusses on it. For the record its one my favorites from this season. Your also watching shows that things have been done before too so get off your high horse. Nobody who remotely serious about enjoying or criticizes media cares. Its about execution not your mythic ideal show that caters sole to you. MAL isn't hivemind so grow up.
I don't really care if you praise it or criticise it, but it's by no means the best anime this season, or the worst one for that matter. You are free to think it is the best, too, but professing that opinion on a public forum and then getting defensive over people saying otherwise is simply put stupid.

> Your also watching shows that things have been done before too so get off your high horse
Sure, I do watch a couple trasekai anime that are carbon copies of one another with a tiny twist each season, but me watching something does not mean that I like it. And just because I like something does not mean that it is necessarily good. And obviously even if something is good, that does not mean it is the best. But I am fine with that. Guess my horse just got higher, eh :P (Also you're*)

> Nobody who remotely serious about enjoying or criticizes media cares.
Could you please say that again, but this time in English?

> Its about execution not your mythic ideal show that caters sole to you
But the execution is just bad, that's the issue. This show suffers heavily from LN syndrome. The pacing is awfully slow, the exposition is lengthy, and a lot of what has been happening just does not translate well into a visual representation. Light Novel adaptations take effort to get right (see Tensura for example), but J. C. Staff is unfortunately not the right studio for that.
Besides, I can acknowledge when an anime I do not personally like might be the anime of the season, it's just not this one.

> MAL isn't hivemind so grow up
What does that have to do with anything lmao
I have committed war crimes in Yugoslavia
Jul 29, 2023 3:20 AM

Mar 2013
Why is it that most characters, even supporting ones get to have character development? This series is seriously sick and awesome. (I really hope most anime are like this, without skipping any scenes from the LN, not that I know the source) I even got to see the massacre of the ignorant bystanders scolded by Nanao earlier.

This is getting more interesting.
CrazyButNot4UJul 29, 2023 3:23 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 29, 2023 3:35 AM

Oct 2015
Hashira_1996 said:
Marinate1016 said:

Because it is. You haven’t even finished volume 1 and you’re talking about a series with 10+ volumes 💀

So this is still volume 1 ?
As of end of episode 4, it is around 70% into Volume 1~

The series is very long due to how successful it is within Japan.
I have only read 8 volumes and they are still in the middle of third year.
Jul 29, 2023 4:45 AM

Jul 2015
Wow!
It was so well animated. It looks like JC can animated well something else than Danmachi for once.

Jul 29, 2023 7:16 AM
Sep 2016
So is this why 7 instead of just 6? Is Andrews the 7th?

I mean every story needs some characters like that right, a complete a$$hole who turn themselves around and suddenly became everyone's best dude/girl by the mid of the series. Is Andrew's going to be having such dev in the future?
uncleqrowJul 29, 2023 7:20 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Jul 29, 2023 8:33 AM
Apr 2022
pretty disappointed that Andrews the animal abuser left unscathed and suddenly becomes a bravo hero of the day, i don't understand what made nanao defend him from that muscular angry bird
Jul 29, 2023 10:42 AM
Jul 2019
IhnalakoKaina said:
Iron_Maw said:

you hear the term plot hole be thrown around a lot lately, by people who maybe don't know what it actually means. It refers to an inconsistency or a contradiction in the continuity of the plot.

you know, like the protagonist flying into a rage at the sight of his helpless friend being verbally harassed by cocky, ignorant classmates one scene, to then treating the stereotypical noble idiot who looks down on everyone like a friend the next.

The audio mixing? Right, I don't like blasting my ears with stock overused anime sounds and screams. I'm not even gonna go into how unnatural, dramatic and embarrasing the dialogue is, or how by the book tropey every single character is.

You know what? You're right. It is pretty subjective after all. I don't like corny cliched unselfaware childish awkward stuff. Remove only one of those adjectives and maybe I'd like it. But this has all of them and some more. I guess enjoy "The Iceblade Sorcerer" with an increased budget.
The protagonist actions makes sense though. Andrew's behaviour was different from how the rest of the students in the class acted. They were downright abusing and threatening Katie and her whole existence. If you were a friend to someone who was receiving such abuse, wouldn't you come to defend them. Comparatively Andrew had that smug elitist attitude in this episode but he didn't really abuse anyone. Not to mention Oliver managed to see eye-to-eye with him once he realised that Andrew was actually a coward and his big shot attitude was a front.

You not liking the dialogue or the tropes doesn't make something bad. Almost all movies/shows use them to a varying degree and they do for a reason because without them, its not always an entertaining watch. You will just end up with stuff like the The Last Jedi or Game of Thrones final seasons which were a mess. If they simply used the typical tropes, they would be received much better.

>  I guess enjoy "The Iceblade Sorcerer" with an increased budget.

Not OP, but yep I will!. Being too critical don't help me in enjoying stuff or else I could've dropped a lot of shows.
Jul 29, 2023 10:43 AM
Jul 2019
uncleqrow said:

I mean every story needs some characters like that right, a complete a$$hole who turn themselves around and suddenly became everyone's best dude/girl by the mid of the series. Is Andrew's going to be having such dev in the future?
The spellblades are OP magical spells and don't refer to the characters. They said as much in EP3.
Jul 29, 2023 11:58 AM

Jul 2021
JC staff continued where they left off with DanMachi with a bunch of bozos getting absolutely wrecked by a raid-class monster. Happy to see Oliver not blending into the background this episode.
Jul 29, 2023 12:11 PM
Sep 2016
Silent-Shadow05 said:
uncleqrow said:

The spellblades are OP magical spells and don't refer to the characters. They said as much in EP3.

Now that you mentioned it, it does says "Maken" (magic blade/spellblade) instead of "Makenjitsushi" (spellblade practitioners/master) in the title. Alright, I get it now.
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Jul 29, 2023 12:46 PM

Jan 2023
(Warning, meandering stream of consciousness post)

Everyone has a lot of praise for this show, and I have to ask, am I watching a different show than everyone else? I genuinely feel like I am missing something - and I don’t mean that in a disrespectful tone, I’m just trying to reconcile my feeling with the general positive sentiment this is receiving. (I have not read the LN.)

I think the bed has been supremely shit in terms of introducing newcomers to this setting by basically having every character very comfortable with the setting, and the one character who could reasonably be the stand in for the viewer who is unfamiliar with the setting, Nanao, seems to instead have an almost neurodivergent amount of being ok with nothing around her making sense. She’s not even technically a mage before she comes to Kimberly right? So basically every single part of this world should be novel for her. It would be a good opportunity for us, the viewer, to experience it alongside her. Instead, she’s basically not fazed by anything.

It’s definitely going to get some eye rolls, but think about Harry Potter book/movie 1. Harry has no goddamn clue what magic is. He has to learn from 0 what magic and the wizarding world is, which is a convenient time for the viewer to learn alongside him. We learn about the world when he first comes to Hogwarts and through the classes and experiences he has there.

Spellblades has had starts and flashes of that, but I feel like I’m jumping into something at like book 2 or 3 here.

Oliver says that they’re not strong enough to fight the Garuda, but why? What’s to say there’s not a kill spell that even a baby could use? Does the magic in this world take a person’s innate energy, and they don’t have enough yet, or are properly trained to harness it? Are they not studied enough in the magic available to them in a fight? Does this creature have powerful magical resistances?

I’m sure there’s a very reasonable in-universe explanation, but at this point as a viewer I don’t have that information, so as an uninformed moron I don’t know why they couldn’t just point a wand and kill the creature.

I’ve kind of rambled here, but these are just some of my gripes with the show. I just feel like I’m missing something, like there’s vital info to the plot or setting that I’m not aware of as a viewer. I only take the time to write this much just because I feel like there IS something good under the surface here, and everyone else seems to be having a good time.

Maybe I’m just dumb.
Jul 29, 2023 1:15 PM

Mar 2022
Kuroimi said:
-Saphiran- said:
Disagree. Man basically wrote "I like it therefor it is anime of the season" and then complained about the score of the show.  And where is mockery? If something like "What do you see in this show that made you Say "Anime Of the season"? is consider mockery then... someone's ego is far too fragile.

He did say "Surely you jest", and proceed to basically say "the only good thing is the opening, why do you even like this?", for me it's a form (albeit small) of mockery
No real argument that people of this site oh so like to ask for, especially when Marinate already said why he liked it
He could've argue by saying why he didn't think the anime was that good, or compare with other shows this season, but he didn't

Or what, you can't even say one show is good because no one else like it now?
Yes he didn't say "Anime of the Season for me" but only "Anime of the Season", but almost everyone does that, and the other way around too ("this show is trash" but no "for me", you just have to look this thread)
But he didn't ask "why do you like this". He specifically asked about "anime of the season" statement. And if you look at Marinate's original post, there is nothing there that provides that explanation. He wrote what he liked about THIS episode and just slapped anime of the season at the end without any context. It is a legitimate question to ask when someone makes that claim. And the answer he got was "just gonna mute you". Do you think that his question warranted that answer? I don't.

If you're gonna argue that from the beginning, starting with  "Surely you jest" user has been disrespectful, I will disagree with you. To me, if anyone was disrespectful it was Marinate with that "mute" reply. He could've argue why he thinks that this is anime of the season, but he didn't. He just shut him up. That to me is pompousness. 
Jul 29, 2023 1:35 PM
Jul 2019
10110 said:

Everyone has a lot of praise for this show, and I have to ask, am I watching a different show than everyone else? I genuinely feel like I am missing something - and I don’t mean that in a disrespectful tone, I’m just trying to reconcile my feeling with the general positive sentiment this is receiving. (I have not read the LN.)

I think the bed has been supremely shit in terms of introducing newcomers to this setting by basically having every character very comfortable with the setting, and the one character who could reasonably be the stand in for the viewer who is unfamiliar with the setting, Nanao, seems to instead have an almost neurodivergent amount of being ok with nothing around her making sense. She’s not even technically a mage before she comes to Kimberly right? So basically every single part of this world should be novel for her. It would be a good opportunity for us, the viewer, to experience it alongside her. Instead, she’s basically not fazed by anything.

It’s definitely going to get some eye rolls, but think about Harry Potter book/movie 1. Harry has no goddamn clue what magic is. He has to learn from 0 what magic and the wizarding world is, which is a convenient time for the viewer to learn alongside him. We learn about the world when he first comes to Hogwarts and through the classes and experiences he has there.

Spellblades has had starts and flashes of that, but I feel like I’m jumping into something at like book 2 or 3 here.

Oliver says that they’re not strong enough to fight the Garuda, but why? What’s to say there’s not a kill spell that even a baby could use? Does the magic in this world take a person’s innate energy, and they don’t have enough yet, or are properly trained to harness it? Are they not studied enough in the magic available to them in a fight? Does this creature have powerful magical resistances?

I’m sure there’s a very reasonable in-universe explanation, but at this point as a viewer I don’t have that information, so as an uninformed moron I don’t know why they couldn’t just point a wand and kill the creature.

I’ve kind of rambled here, but these are just some of my gripes with the show. I just feel like I’m missing something, like there’s vital info to the plot or setting that I’m not aware of as a viewer. I only take the time to write this much just because I feel like there IS something good under the surface here, and everyone else seems to be having a good time.

Maybe I’m just dumb.
All I know from asking a few LN readers is that the reason why Oliver is the MC and not Nanao will soon make sense once the show gets to the final section of Volume 1. After that the main plot of this series would be clear. The first volume supposedly also meanders a bit until it gets to the point at the end so it can be a surprise. They refused to tell me more because it'd ruin the surprise for me.

About the Garuda, I saw some source reader comments and they said its a Divine-level beast and it was quite nerfed but still excessively strong. If it was at full power, no one could've beaten it. The reason why people were struggling to defeat it was because they lack mana output, skill, spell knowledge and battle experience. Almost every student in the arena was first and second years. If it were, let's say fourth or fifth years, it wouldn't be a fight. Alvin Godfrey (the president) would just easily defeat without breaking a sweat. All of these are information I saw on different threads so I dunno how much of it is correct.

I guess an issue is that the show is probably cutting a lot of stuff the LN had.
Jul 29, 2023 2:06 PM
Apr 2023
I got goosebumps while watching the episode. The sword x claw clashes sound really good
Jul 29, 2023 2:14 PM
Apr 2023
I got goosebumps while watching the episode. The sword x claw clashes sound really good
FiveOVER said:
The fight scene was absolutely sublime. Putting aside the animation itself, the angles and framing they used was so effective at portraying the menacing, imposing figure that was the garuda. That look in its eyes is all you need to know that its going to frick things up.

And man that sound design. The amazing sound design was already apparent during the Nanao Oliver duel. That same sound design is used here to great effect. Every spell cast, every strike, every clash, every impact can be felt keenly thanks to the booming sound effects that really sells the gravity of the fight. I feel jittery just from that alone.

And then there's the animation itself. The animation conveys the impacts in tandem with the sound. Combined with great use of camera angles. And you have me reeling in tension throughout the fight.
It was worth holding back the budget in the Salvadori & Rivermoore fight just for this. Bravo JC Staff

Hearing those sounds on my WH-1000XM3 is just epic.
Jul 29, 2023 2:27 PM
May 2021
Gonna drop this show. showed promise and animation is good, but all the characters are so flat drives me nuts. Same with the world - it's a lot going on but nothing makes much sense.
Jul 29, 2023 2:44 PM

Jan 2023
Silent-Shadow05 said:
10110 said:

Maybe I’m just dumb.
All I know from asking a few LN readers is that the reason why Oliver is the MC and not Nanao will soon make sense once the show gets to the final section of Volume 1. After that the main plot of this series would be clear. The first volume supposedly also meanders a bit until it gets to the point at the end so it can be a surprise. They refused to tell me more because it'd ruin the surprise for me.

About the Garuda, I saw some source reader comments and they said its a Divine-level beast and it was quite nerfed but still excessively strong. If it was at full power, no one could've beaten it. The reason why people were struggling to defeat it was because they lack mana output, skill, spell knowledge and battle experience. Almost every student in the arena was first and second years. If it were, let's say fourth or fifth years, it wouldn't be a fight. Alvin Godfrey (the president) would just easily defeat without breaking a sweat. All of these are information I saw on different threads so I dunno how much of it is correct.

I guess an issue is that the show is probably cutting a lot of stuff the LN had.

All good points. I guess I just end up feeling like this adaption is just all fluff for the LN fans.. which is fine! Just having never read the LN I feel like I’m out of step with the plot.
Jul 29, 2023 3:57 PM

Mar 2010
10110 said:

Maybe I’m just dumb.

You do not need go through eyes of a greenhorn to understand anything about Spellblades setting, the story itself explains world-building through Oliver or other characters. You just not bothering to pay attention to it. For example What are Sword Arts? Spellblades? What is Kimberly academy? What are relationship between demi-humans and mages? etc These are questions the story implicit asks and then explains, establishes their importance.

To be frank your problem asking questions about to things in show is not asking itself because they are unnecessary. Why isn't Oliver and other first years not strong enough to fight the Garuda? Can not use your eyes and see? Does the bird power level number next to its name to explain the strength difference that visual story telling aren't? Why are you even asking if he has something specific like an easy to use instant kill spell? Why does needing know about magic energy reactions matter to understand a fight? Especially when purely Japanese shounen trope that even HP doesn't use? In fact why do you even need know how many spells Oliver knows and has to gauge strength of enemy he's fighting instead taking his word for it? How does this make a fight exciting outside your preferential bias that every character be a detailed wikipedia before doing anything?

Basically what does any of this matter? Good world-building explains what needs to explain to serve its narrative, not itself. I don't need a super specific detailed analysis of why something is happening as long the characters and storytelling is explaining them at all. Oliver notes the Garuda too strong for them, the show proceeds to show this by having everyone get wrecked by it regardless of what they do. Even Nanao struggles against it and Oliver get seriously injured. He doesn't use the instant kill spell you asking because doesn't exist, that in itself an explanation. Your over-complicating things that are easily told through characters dialogue and actions they take or don't take. You don't need to much more than that to discuss and understand what is happening.

That also goes for lead up to greater plot all these events forming as we follow these likable characters in their journey to become proper mages for their own personal reasons and how their relationships at the academy influences those goals. That were enjoyment is found. There is no need to force things just have all the answers right way. That said yes but source does explain more like any adaptation does but you don't need to read it gasp what happening if simply just pay attention to the dialogues and monologues.
Iron_MawJul 30, 2023 12:14 AM
Jul 29, 2023 5:15 PM
Aug 2020
I was surprised tosday, i really enjoyed this one but how the bad guy became a hero because he helped???

he was responsible of all the mess, i don't get it

it's not a nakama!!!
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - Yesterday

19 by ejleon »»
9 minutes ago

» In which way this is an LGBT anime?

Dije - Apr 22

35 by Shinkuo »»
Apr 29, 9:05 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

111 by xXMaoZedongXx »»
Apr 27, 10:13 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2023

34 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 26, 8:17 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2023

41 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 26, 7:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.