Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 17, 2023 12:47 PM
Apr 2023
Incredible. Hoping next episode. Akane is so beautiful. I like the design you gave it.
May 17, 2023 12:50 PM

Feb 2014
I wasn't expecting this episode to get as dark as this, but it did and then some. It didn't bother with any sugercoating and went all in, no holds barred, with the unjust and vile toxicity that social media can be in cases like this.

Poor Akane ended up getting on the receiving end when her move, in the name of "making a mark of herself" in the reality T.V series accidentally backfired. While Yuki, who had her face cut by Akane's fingernail by accident, was completely reassuring of Akane in that moment, the fans of the series on social media, regardless if they're hiding under an anonymous name or not, poured their vicious hatred at Akane. Sadly, the biggest mistake that Akane did was to respond with an apology, which was the equivalent of adding fuel to a raging inferno.

The spiral into depression only got worse and worse for Akane before she made the decision to try and end it all by trying to jump off a bridge over a highway, but thank goodness Aqua was there to save her at the last second and successfully pulled her out of harm's way. It's hard to know, being an anime-only watcher, how this part of the story will be resolved and if the reputation of the reality T.V series will suffer if people find out Akane's failed suicide attempt.

Either way, this episode was simply superb with its portrayal of the dark and nasty side of the internet. I can only hope that Akane get's the help and care that she desperately deserves now, the poor girl. =(
May 17, 2023 12:52 PM
Dec 2021
this episode is great.
May 17, 2023 12:54 PM

Oct 2012
Yeah, this episode really got to me. 
Couldn't stop crying for a long while. 
Thank you so much, Aqua. Jesus freaking christ.
May 17, 2023 12:58 PM
Mar 2023
I love that this anime shows what a piece of cr*p twitter is. 100/10
May 17, 2023 1:03 PM
Mar 2021
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
May 17, 2023 1:08 PM

Oct 2017
This happened in real life on a daily base.  Don't think you never did that.
Now you know not to talk shit on others online lightly.
That's how a lot of people commit suicide in modern society. 
I grow out of the phase to care about internet's opinion now but some youngster are too naive they take everything very seriously, even if those things are not true at all. (Heck, I saw people did that to me in Mal often too when i criticize an episode of an anime)

Tbh I think the worst part is the TV show productor not cutting this part out. 
They want the view count so they did the unspeakable, everyone knows this would happen if they let this content out.
Ventus_SMay 17, 2023 1:11 PM
May 17, 2023 1:10 PM
Jun 2022
how does this show keep doing this to me
May 17, 2023 1:14 PM

Oct 2017
Fantasylord2205 said:
This ep made me hate people in general
Hahaha I already hate to be in contact with people already w.o watching this show :3

Been there done that.
Happened in Mal, happened in MMO , happened in discord.
It's very common.
May 17, 2023 1:16 PM

Oct 2017
J_B said:
yawn more fake drama, isnt realistic at all unless ur like 13 or something 
Lmao are you for real?
This happened in real life on a daily base, and Japan/ Korea is especially worse with cyber bullying.
This show take most of the reference from news/ real life incidents. 
Jun 2022
Real talk
this anime is so good and near the reality that it scared me.

(haven't read the manga)
Oct 2020
Thx Oshi no Ko. Thx
Jan 2014
This episode was on par with episode 1. This one showed the dark side of show businesses and how we, as fans contribute to the soul-sucking nature of the industry that takes wonderful people and destroys them. This episode cemented this as a 10/10 show for me.
May 17, 2023 1:18 PM

Apr 2018
- The part where they showed all Akane's hard work growing up in parallel with all sorts of slanders was so well done. Makes it impossible not to empathize with her. Again, the anime production team enriched the manga with a great addition here.
- When I was reading the manga, I couldn't help but feel the slap on Yuki to be somewhat abrupt. The anime did a really good job portraying Akane's anxiousness leading up to the scene, which makes it quite more natural IMO. (Some might still say it's somewhat dramatic. This is one feature of Oshi no Ko after all. It might help to look at a lot of the story from the perspective of a conventional "drama".
- This episode made great use of color and stylization to achieve effects only possible in anime, e.g. the slap scene, which was quite distinct from the manga.
- There's a lot of text in this part of the story. However, except for a few scenes at the beginning of the controversy (which was also probably a deliberate approach to just leave the audience with a rough impression), the tempo at other places was mostly good. There is an inherent difficulty trying to adapt something from manga to anime. IMO they did a very good job reading out some key contents instead of asking the audience to follow them on screen, which naturally fits this medium.
- The music at the beginning of the controversy was well done. Really gives you a sense of topsy-turviness and depression.

- The body proportion of Kana looked slightly weird in the scene where she stood and talked to Ruby?
- The voice acting at the very beginning of the episode definitely makes you get the sense of  "watching a TV program". (Though maybe the effect felt a bit exaggerated? Lol)
- I don't know if it's the case that it's relatively hard to impress voicing Akane in this episode… For some reason Iwami Manaka's voice acting didn't leave me with a huge impression. Looking forward to _that_ scene in the next episode (not a spoiler) to see how she portrays it though. That will be fun.

(BTW, some personal thoughts on this. As somebody who has been overly serious with everything since a child and really sensitive, this episode has felt evocative to me, especially the part contrasting Akane's constant efforts with the slanders who know nothing about her at all. The reality is that, no matter what you do, there will always be naysayers out there, and the bigger of an impact you make, the more of them there will be. It feels almost human nature for people to say random light things about stuff and people they have no idea about, especially if they somehow work themselves into possessing a sense of "justice". You must learn to let go, as there are just so many things in life you just simply can't force to change and can't afford to spend all the energy worrying about. Even though the logic sounds simple, teaching ourselves to actually act according to it and to relax in our lives is a very slow and gradual process accompanied with a lot of pain, especially given our personalities. I certainly hope I'm doing better on this front now compared to when I was a kid.

Even though the main focus I've had on the story ever since seeing the prologue has been to see how psycho can Aqua be and whether he can become a Hamlet-esque proper tragic protagonist, and I haven't particularly favored Akane, I have to say I do feel this episode surpassed the manga once again, and it's impossible to not sympathize with and empathize with Akane here.)

(Also, I recall a passage from _Sakura no Uta_ talking about how "people who really create things won't easily launch into superficial criticisms against what the others make. They understand how much effort it takes to create something, and will focus on their own creation process." This doesn't necessarily totally apply here, just something that would occasionally occur to me whenever the topic of "criticism" is discussed.)
May 17, 2023 1:18 PM

Feb 2013
Kojima predicted the dangers of social media 20 years ago. Too much power for an immature species.
May 17, 2023 1:24 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Man, cancel culture is the worst. Toxicity online is the worst. Being looked down by anonymous people is the worst.

Aqua is not the worst. I'm quite fond of him now.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 17, 2023 1:28 PM
Nov 2019
The juxtaposition of Akane just going about her day with the hate comments in the background was excellent, as was the transition from her dream to her on the bridge.
May 17, 2023 1:29 PM
Oct 2021
a show like this is infuriating to me.... in the way that it's too short when it comes to the episode times, i want more!!! I'm low-key addicted to this anime with how sureal it's build up, like in this episode that with no filter shows the gruesome really of showbiz and the fan involvement in it. how we as an viewer can make or break not only the career of an actor or an famous person but also end it with enough abuse without even realizing it. just amazing how they depicted the story and how they're playing with my feelings especially the first episode with the hour build up just to crush me with an situation that's so real that it wouldn't make me surprised it actually happened. i mean there are truly weird and crazy people out there where we don't bat an eye to until we're in the situation of danger with them ourselves.

i can go on an on about this anime so to end it i wil just say this.
mind-blowing good anime.
May 17, 2023 1:29 PM
Mar 2023
This episode was a mental break down for me, I think it was very dark and true to how internet works overall. It introduced Akane and her struggles also it shown to us that lying is a really good way to protect themselves.
May 17, 2023 1:30 PM
Feb 2021
terrifying as fuck like what the bloody fuck
May 17, 2023 1:33 PM
Apr 2017
One of the most realistic portrayals of cancel culture I've seen in Anime. The direction of this episode was masterfully done, and the entire second half had me speechless.
May 17, 2023 1:37 PM

May 2015
I was waiting for Aqua to step up and help Akane, he isn't the type of person to let things like this slide. I hope he comes up with something to really set things straight. Akane is such a nice and hard-working person, she doesn't deserve any of this. There was a chance for things to go smooth if only cameras rolled when she and Yuki hugged. But Yuki has such a calculating personality that I guess, she actually knew things would go this way and made-up with Akane only off-screen on purpose.
May 17, 2023 1:40 PM
Jul 2016
J_B said:
yawn more fake drama, realistic at all unless ur like 13 or something

While you might think the portrayal is overly dramatic or corny, this arc is actually INCREDIBLY realistic. It's based on a real life case of Hana Kimura who starred in Netflix dating show Terrace Show.

Aside from some of the details, this actually happened! An actress on a reality dating show had an angry outburst on the show. She was then became the target of hateful messages on social media. Then, she committed suicide.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/05/77d3f1ede7a4-suicide-note-written-by-japanese-netflix-star-hana-kimura-found.html

I wouldn't be surprised if Akane's hate tweets were ripped off from Hana Kimura's. Especially tweets like "Everybody will be happy if you are gone quickly," and "Never appear on TV again."

It's fine if you didn't like the portrayal or if you think it's overly dramatic.

Hana Kimura was probably seen unfavorably as a female pro-wrestler. She wasn't a cute teenage girl like Akane. Women who don't conform to feminine gender roles will be scrutinized more harshly. The mangaka knew this, and made Akane more sympathetic as a weak feminine actress character.

The real life Hana Kimura probably wasn't as earnest or innocent as Akane. She wasn't dealing with mean high school girls as a 22 year old. She wouldn't be crying and vomiting in the school bathroom. She probably wasn't called a nympho-slut who never put her heart and soul into everything.

The show definitely exaggerated the scenario to give Akane the most sympathetic portrayal imaginable. It's easier to victimize a feminine teenage girl, compared to a young adult pro-wrestler girl.

Obviously, Akane wasn't the perfect victim either. She cares a lot about what other people say about her. She was willing to be manipulative if it meant she got more screen time. But the show does justify this using the agency and manager. She's not an attention-seeker, she just wants her manager to have an easier time. She's just a victim of circumstance.

So yeah, definitely dramatized. Definely exaggerated. The show definitely wanted Akane to be shown in the most sympathetic light possible.

But I wouldn't call it unrealistic. Because this ACTUALLY happened. Hana Kimura had to deal with hundreds of hate messages. She said thanks to her mom on her suicide note. I think it's important to understand this, so it doesn't happen again in the future.

May 17, 2023 1:42 PM
Feb 2018
perfect, better than the manga
May 17, 2023 1:45 PM
Aug 2017
The best episode so far! To me, Akane is a far more relatable character than the others. She's trying really hard and already has a manager, but still isn't as successful as say Kana or Aqua. Thus, she feels more like a real person as she has to go through 10 times the effort as the other characters because she doesn't have the same kind of upbringing as most of them have. She already has to work so much harder than everyone else, but even then, it just doesn't seem to work out. She's a great and realistic character, can't wait to see more, will she join the idol group?
Apr 2021
No episode in any other show has given me the chills as this episode did. Stress and suicide are such serious topics and rarely are properly portrayed in shows. I know that this show was going to properly cover showbiz but to see it go so deep as to cover this topic is good. The new music introduced in this episode was also good. I stand by my score of 10 because of its excellent continuation of production and excellence in introspection into this side of shows that people don't often see.
Dec 2019
Extremely well made. Very serious topic portrayed perfectly. It shows the whole story of how someone who appears as perfectly fine can fall down such a slippery slope.
May 17, 2023 1:47 PM
Jul 2010
Homura24 said:
but I don't understand why they didn't cut the part of Akane hitting her
There’s a saying in the media, “If it bleeds it leads”. Viewers like this sort of shit (heck, it’s even evidenced by the majority of people loving the first episode and this episode the most of Oshi no Ko, without the real people aspect of course). People love conflict, otherwise we wouldn’t have reality tv shows or the “drama” genre in the first place. Ultimately, they wouldn’t cut the part with Akane causing a scratch because the show is trying to draw in viewers, and taking that out would be a big hit to their bottom line. 
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?
May 17, 2023 1:50 PM
May 2022
AkeZZZ said:
Big F to those trashy toxic social networks. 😡 I really feel bad for Akane.

Yeah right hate 😡😡 ma girl
May 17, 2023 1:51 PM

Jul 2022
haha she was gonna kill herself cuz of dumb shit lul
anyway she hot and i ship that man
May 17, 2023 1:54 PM
Aug 2018
imo this show deserve 6/10 
10/10 pilot ngnl
8/10 for first 4 episodes (after pilot)
and 4/10 for giving "ayanokoji" style movement for the plot... really hoped the show wouldve done it like a death note route before light ran it down mid. sigh, had high hopes.
as much as "reallistic" the episode was, it wasnt interesting to watch. i thought the author had huge balls if he killed the "perfect" character in the pilot.
hope it wasnt for nothing.
May 17, 2023 1:56 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
A very upsetting episode thanks to the 2nd half focused on Akane trying to make her mark in the reality show, and before she even attempted it I knew where it was going. And I’ll be honest, I was reading the Twitter posts when it first started getting bad but I stopped soon after and just let it roll, what was going on with Akane got the point across and I didn’t feel the need to read every awful post about her. But damn man, it’s always my blue waifus that get this treatment, but this time it’s not from us viewers and within the world itself.

And I have no doubt this is something that’s very real, although I haven’t seen it much since I don’t watch much live action shows, but I do know it’s something even reflected on fictional characters and sometimes even their voice actors, it’s a very sad thing, and although I hate seeing this happen to Akane, I’m glad this show touched on this aspect of being an actor. And thankfully, the final scene showed Aqua saving Akane, this was a very well done scene and I’m thinking this will eventually lead to a new member for the new B Komachi.
May 17, 2023 1:57 PM

Nov 2017
This episode slowly became an ad for National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, call (800) 273-8255. Don't ask me how I know it lol
May 17, 2023 2:02 PM
Aug 2020
we got a classic in the making here. The atmosphere of this series is unparalleled
May 17, 2023 2:02 PM

Jul 2014
J_B said:
yawn more fake drama, isnt realistic at all unless ur like 13 or something 
That's why I never use "realistic" as a yardstick to judge fiction. It just reveals the extent of your own life experiences... or lackthereof.
May 17, 2023 2:04 PM
Mar 2021
The ending was very unexpected, extremely dark but realistic at the same time.
May 17, 2023 2:05 PM
Sep 2021
They really showed how people on the internet are terrible. People see someone do something bad and they resort to cyberbullying and send death threats.
May 17, 2023 2:09 PM
Apr 2023
For me, it was very interesting to see how fans can become very agressiv and hurt the celebrities like this. In this episode, see an actress who wabt to suicide, we have to think on the today world.
Jul 2021
This episode was hard to watch...In a good way though, I liked it a lot!

Dec 2018
The life of someone that's appear in the media social. Some will get praise a lot, ans some will be hated. Poor Akane... Toxic people are horrible. Lots of celebrities in Japan and Korea suicide because of toxic people in the internet.

Of course Aqua will save her from suicide. She look important in the OP scene.

May 17, 2023 2:11 PM
Oct 2020
One hell of an ending with a dramatic turn.
May 17, 2023 2:11 PM
Nov 2016
Loved how tough it is to act real-time without any direction and can a bit understand the trouble Akane faced that even made her do something horrible.
May 17, 2023 2:13 PM
May 2021
Best ep so far oh ky fckn days… poor Akane… wasn’t expecting the ending!!
May 17, 2023 2:14 PM
Apr 2022
THERE YOU GO INTERNET, THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE
May 17, 2023 2:17 PM
Jun 2011
Fantasylord2205 said:
This ep made me hate people in general
Welcome aboard, hating people since 2017.
May 17, 2023 2:17 PM
May 2020
This episode hit
I am far from an Idol, I barely have 100 twitter followers
But I can definetely relate, tho I've never reached the point of suicidal ideation, I totally understand the feeling of just don't wanting to think about anything, just be numb to everything, I understand Akane's feeling of feeling pressured towards sucess
This hit way too close home

Don't hate people on the internet friends
May 17, 2023 2:25 PM
May 2023
i loved how they portrayed the suffering from akane and how well the cyber bullying was portrayed and how she falls into this depression and almost kills herself
May 17, 2023 2:26 PM

Oct 2017
erikkamirs said:
J_B said:
yawn more fake drama,  realistic at all unless ur like 13 or something

While you might think the portrayal is overly dramatic or corny, this arc is actually INCREDIBLY realistic. It's based on a real life case of Hana Kimura who starred in Netflix dating show Terrace Show.

Aside from some of the details, this actually happened! An actress on a reality dating show had an angry outburst on the show. She was then became the target of hateful messages on social media. Then, she committed suicide.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/05/77d3f1ede7a4-suicide-note-written-by-japanese-netflix-star-hana-kimura-found.html

I wouldn't be surprised if Akane's hate tweets were ripped off from Hana Kimura's. Especially tweets like "Everybody will be happy if you are gone quickly," and "Never appear on TV again."

It's fine if you didn't like the portrayal or if you think it's overly dramatic.

Hana Kimura was probably seen unfavorably as a female pro-wrestler. She wasn't a cute teenage girl like Akane. Women who don't conform to feminine gender roles will be scrutinized more harshly. The mangaka knew this, and made Akane more sympathetic as a weak feminine actress character.

The real life Hana Kimura probably wasn't as earnest or innocent as Akane. She wasn't dealing with mean high school girls as a 22 year old. She wouldn't be crying and vomiting in the school bathroom. She probably wasn't called a nympho-slut who never put her heart and soul into everything.

The show definitely exaggerated the scenario to give Akane the most sympathetic portrayal imaginable. It's easier to victimize a feminine teenage girl, compared to a young adult pro-wrestler girl.

Obviously, Akane wasn't the perfect victim either. She cares a lot about what other people say about her. She was willing to be manipulative if it meant she got more screen time. But the show does justify this using the agency and manager. She's not an attention-seeker, she just wants her manager to have an easier time. She's just a victim of circumstance.

So yeah, definitely dramatized. Definely exaggerated. The show definitely wanted Akane to be shown in the most sympathetic light possible.

But I wouldn't call it unrealistic. Because this ACTUALLY happened. Hana Kimura had to deal with hundreds of hate messages. She said thanks to her mom on her suicide note. I think it's important to understand this, so it doesn't happen again in the future.

I'd argue that some hate comment might be toned down already.
To be more realistic, the hate speech might be worse than this .
Also we do not know that pro wrestler's private life, maybe she's vomitting too from those speech.
People dont just take their own life lightly.
Also different culture , I heard Japan is more severe  and extreme with their hate speech.
May 17, 2023 2:26 PM
Apr 2023
Seeing the mental struggles of a character being berated by the internet similar to how some actors and stuff are nowadays, having them driven to such lengths just shows a crazy perspective for modern reality shows.
May 17, 2023 2:34 PM
Jul 2020
Extremely predictable
Pages (18) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2023

856 by wallus81 »»
Yesterday, 9:13 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 24, 2023

803 by ynugraha789 »»
Apr 24, 6:54 PM

» Episode 1 is like a movie

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

14 by jcffxsfg »»
Apr 24, 6:03 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usopp8000 - Mar 27, 2023

2672 by Fabelisator »»
Apr 20, 2:41 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MadanielFL - May 12, 2023

259 by welcome2atlantis »»
Apr 14, 5:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.