Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime fans disregard MAGICAL GIRL anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 15, 2023 8:30 AM
Jul 2018
MasterTasuke said:
"Wedding Peach" being fairly chief amongst them, at least in terms of personal disappointment
in an Anime series built-upon such an utterly rock-solid concept for a Maho Shoujo franchise..

I thought it was pretty good, nothing great but still.
May 15, 2023 8:53 AM

Jan 2017
_Arch___ said:
 Again, it's not a coincidence that Attack on Titan is the most popular shounen and Madoka Magica is the most popular Magical Girls show ever, 

Jollop said:

These statements are completely wrong with no real factsbehind them. Also,  Cutey Honey is a magical girl show, even though the main character uses technology instead of magic to fight evil,  with a shonen demographic and it is very popular in Japan with both male and female fans.

how exactly? Just go to top anime -> most popular. Literal facts buddy.
_Arch___May 15, 2023 8:57 AM

♦  Profile

♦  List

May 15, 2023 9:16 AM
Jul 2018
genesic123 said:
The Mahou shoujo genre is kept alive indectly through shonen harem style desendants like azur lane.
Precure has almost power ranger level popularity in japan so....
Precure is one of the most influential anime in Japan right now! Totally deserving of its popularity, and it is even critically acclaimed because it is that GOOD! Japan can see the truth because they don't judge and don't attach labels to the anime, unlike West anime fandom. They are more open minded! 
May 15, 2023 9:30 AM

Dec 2021
I choose Magical Girls Anime over any conventional Shounen

If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
May 15, 2023 9:40 AM

Jan 2017
Jollop said:
_Arch___ said:

Ugh, zoomers and their reasoning... MAL popularity does not equal to the popularity in rest of the world, especially when this site if full of bots created to upvgote or downvote popular shows.
Jollop said:
_Arch___ said:

Ugh, zoomers and their reasoning... MAL popularity does not equal to the popularity in rest of the world, especially when this site if full of bots created to upvgote or downvote popular shows.

Do >you< have any proof in those claims? I'm fairly certain MAL admins deal with bot attack pretty effectively (like Ishuzoku Reviewers back in the day). With that being sad, where tf is it mentioned I'm referring to the rest of the world? The rest of the world doesn't even know what mahou shoujo even is (or most anime normies for that matter), some don't even differentiate anime and cartoons from where I'm from. A question was asked in the site, and I answer with info from the site.. Maybe your boomer brain is too slow to piece this together but I swear its not that hard lol.

Also, slight tangent but I have the impression that what you mean is "rest of the world = Japan" sort of thing. As someone who has lived in japan for 3 months (maximum I could stay with the VISA of my country) with a japanese family and can speak decently broken japanese, anime in japan is NOT POPULAR AT ALL. MOST people don't even know what a streaming site is (not a joke, only young people do and even then only mainstream stuff) and old shows are NEVER discussed like here in the west. Most of the stuff people will know is Demon Slayer, One Piece and whatever big thing is airing either on cinema or television (in 2019 we had the second Heaven's Feel movie so there were Fate merchandise, posters and stuff in the tokyo metro) apart from that people will only know Sazae-san, Osomatsu and Precure if they're a girl. If you're a grown man and you mention/try to explain MOE to someone that's not an anime fan you WILL be judged and people will think you're a weirdo otaku. That is because they will either air in the morning (where mostly children stuff airing, like precure or sazae-san) or late at night (where super nicche + otaku/ecchi garbage will air, also isekai) and people who stay up for those are usually diehard fans and/or weirdos. I actually had to explain to my "japanese mom" that crunchyroll exists and she genuinely thought it was piracy.
_Arch___May 15, 2023 9:46 AM

♦  Profile

♦  List

May 15, 2023 10:42 AM

Jan 2017
Jollop said:
_Arch___ said:

Do >you< have any proof in those claims? I'm fairly certain MAL admins deal with bot attack pretty effectively (like Ishuzoku Reviewers back in the day). With that being sad, where tf is it mentioned I'm referring to the rest of the world? The rest of the world doesn't even know what mahou shoujo even is (or most anime normies for that matter), some don't even differentiate anime and cartoons from where I'm from. A question was asked in the site, and I answer with info from the site.. Maybe your boomer brain is too slow to piece this together but I swear its not that hard lol.

Also, slight tangent but I have the impression that what you mean is "rest of the world = Japan" sort of thing. As someone who has lived in japan for 3 months (maximum I could stay with the VISA of my country) with a japanese family and can speak decently broken japanese, anime in japan is NOT POPULAR AT ALL. MOST people don't even know what a streaming site is (not a joke, only young people do and even then only mainstream stuff) and old shows are NEVER discussed like here in the west. Most of the stuff people will know is Demon Slayer, One Piece and whatever big thing is airing either on cinema or television (in 2019 we had the second Heaven's Feel movie so there were Fate merchandise, posters and stuff in the tokyo metro) apart from that people will only know Sazae-san, Osomatsu and Precure if they're a girl. If you're a grown man and you mention/try to explain MOE to someone that's not an anime fan you WILL be judged and people will think you're a weirdo otaku. That is because they will either air in the morning (where mostly children stuff airing, like precure or sazae-san) or late at night (where super nicche + otaku/ecchi garbage will air, also isekai) and people who stay up for those are usually diehard fans and/or weirdos. I actually had to explain to my "japanese mom" that crunchyroll exists and she genuinely thought it was piracy.

Yeah, you are not really convincing but nice try. Also, your liimited experience with other people around you in Japan does not equate to the rest of the country, I thought I already told you that lesson but alas you are a slow learner. Streaming is not a common way to view anime in Japan so it's not a surprise , and since Crunchyroll started as a piracy site your "Jpanese mom1 is not really wrong.

LOL grandpa is mad someone bring him his meds

Also it was very common in the early 2000s for streaming sites to start by pirating content either from inexperience or because they just didn't know where that would take them. Happened with porrn sites too, and happened with Crunchyroll, Fakku and Manga Rock. Not illegal anymore, most of them dealt with their problems in court, so I don't think anyone should have a problem with it, specially since the internet was a wild west back then. Either way I'm tired of teaching the elder, so I don't think I'll be replying anymore since you don't seem to present any argument.

♦  Profile

♦  List

May 15, 2023 3:15 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I don't think they are. They just prefer their magical girls to be in another world.
May 15, 2023 10:10 PM

Dec 2019
What disregard? This is a non issue, I hardly see anyone showing disdain towards the genre.
May 15, 2023 10:50 PM
Jul 2018
TheAngryNerd said:
What disregard? This is a non issue, I hardly see anyone showing disdain towards the genre.
I don't want to call names but, shonen fans say mahou shoujo anime are for girls and say mahou shoujo anime are lame.
May 15, 2023 11:12 PM

Aug 2014
I have watched the bigger named mahou shoujo series, but recently I've started my dive into Precure because I saw a clip on youtube and it looked really fun. I'll get around to watch more mahou shoujo stuff eventually. Currently Revolutionary Girl Utena is my favorite mahou shoujo series and movie I have seen.
May 15, 2023 11:52 PM

Dec 2019
KetchumAsh said:
I don't want to call names but, shonen fans say mahou shoujo anime are for girls and say mahou shoujo anime are lame.

This is the kind of thing I'd expect 8 year old boys who know almost nothing about anime to say. It's a black and white view -- one I highly doubt anyone who is immersed in and actively watches anime would say.
May 16, 2023 4:27 AM

Dec 2018
Well, I can only speak for myself, And there are some magical girl shows I like. But its under one condition

I want magical "GIRLS". Not males, boys, or girls that talk about a male love interest. Then it's not for my refined taste. Sadly this is often the case when it comes to this type of anime and therefore I often disregard it 

I only accept magical lesbians no boys are allowed, if there is one I will drop it and slap it 1/10 . I might accept a minor support male if he keeps away from my magical lesbians and doesn't annoy me too much =P 

Pure magical lesbian kissing is awesome,,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Yuri-CrusaderMay 16, 2023 4:37 AM
May 16, 2023 5:48 AM

May 2023
cause as a genre/concept it is rather uninteresting in general + most mahou shoujos are quite repetitive and monotonous in nature
May 16, 2023 4:59 PM

Sep 2017
They're just weird man. I don't know what else to say about them.
خ
May 16, 2023 5:40 PM

Mar 2021
KetchumAsh said:
I am not trying to do harm, I am just bringing fresh perspectives for the community to consider! It pains me that the anime community only know two genres, isekai and battle shonen, and disregard other more mature genres because they don't try to understand them!

Begging for viewers to watch a specific type of Anime is not helping your case here nor is falsely claiming Users only know two types of genres. Even if Isekai and battle shounen are likely the most talked about types of Anime in online communities doesn't mean people don't know that other types of Anime exist nor does it mean users that don't participate positively in online discussions about magical girl Anime that everyone is simply disregarding an entire genre. 

These types of threads take Anime fandom to a Jehovah's Witnesses level of desperate where people go door to door like a used car salesman as a way to force their own personal beliefs on others. 

To some degree I like some Mahou Shoujo Anime and even some Anime with even less popularity than Magical girl Anime. Sure I might from time to time shamelessly try to promote an Anime given the opportunity where there are specific threads that leave a User an organic opening to do so. But I am not going to start spamming the forums with topic threads for the sole purpose of begging people to watch the stuff I watch nor create a false narrative in the name of trying to promote said Anime. 

Also this statement goes for any user that does this type of thing regardless if it's about Magical girl Anime or any other type of Anime for that matter. 
ColourWheelMay 16, 2023 5:47 PM
May 16, 2023 6:13 PM

Apr 2022
Serafos said:
Again, I agree with you.

Pretty Cure is my favorite anime series. People should give it more love. <3

I don't know which precure series I should start with. Could you give me some piece of advice?
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
May 16, 2023 7:57 PM

Jun 2019
I think it's a similar case with mecha where people are more or so just indifferent to the genre. So far, I've only seen the normie ones like Madoka or Sailor Moon. I hope to dive deeper into the genre someday. 
May 16, 2023 8:19 PM

Aug 2018
I've tried a few and they're always stuck in episodic monster of the week formula. Even if there's a hint of an overarching plot, the early episodes just feel too tedious for me to bother sticking with it long enough to see what happens.
May 16, 2023 8:45 PM

Nov 2022
Depends on the show, it can be either shoujo or seinen by demographic.

I like Madoka Magica, these girls suffer a lot and suffering girls are to my liking.

It is also deep, profound and philosophical.

I currently also watch Magical Girl Rising Project, but so far it is not that good.
EmperorThorMay 16, 2023 8:48 PM
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
May 16, 2023 9:06 PM

Feb 2016
Usapz said:
I don't know which precure series I should start with. Could you give me some piece of advice?
I think the 1st installment is an excellent place to start. They beat the villain halfway through, leaving you with less pressure to watch the whole thing if you don't like it.
その目だれの目?
May 16, 2023 10:13 PM

Jan 2014
_Arch___ summarized my feelings on the matter pretty well. Magical girl shows are primarily for girls, and young ones at that. That's just reality

Tho I'm always down for a magical girl anime that is mature or is experimental. Like Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers and Flip Flappers
May 16, 2023 10:34 PM

Jan 2017
It's specifically a phenomenon amongst newbies, and it's for the same reason they hate mecha, and older anime regardless of genre. It's kind of fallen out of style, and their favorite Crunchyroll-funded anitubers shit on the genre, so they don't even want to give it a chance beyond Madoka or some other edgelord bullshit.

I think it's also insecurity around watching shows seen as feminine and/or childish. A lot of otaku are insecure manchildren who think they have to watch shit that AIN'T NO MICKEY MOUSE and AIN'T NO LOONEY TUNES to be accepted.
My pronoun is he, because I'll never be him.
May 16, 2023 11:31 PM
May 2022
I was into Tokyo Mew Mew until it got really cheesy... but I think Card Captor Sakura is a 10/10 anime :)
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
May 17, 2023 12:11 AM
Calliope Mori

Dec 2019
I think for me while I love the magical girls genre I find alot of them have so so so many episodes. For example precure sounds really cute but I could watch a bunch of different animes in the time it'd take for me to watch all of a magical girl anime. That's just for me personally.
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

May 17, 2023 10:30 AM

Apr 2020
They dont. 
May 17, 2023 10:45 AM

Jul 2021
i've never watched one but i'm sure i would enjoy it.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 17, 2023 11:13 AM

Dec 2020
KetchumAsh said:
First off;
 I can't understand how anime fans can't get the appeal of magical girls, aka mahou shoujo anime. Mahou Shoujo anime are some of the deepest and most well written and heartfelt anime ever! They have really amazing drama, better than in battle shonen or seinen. And mahou shojo anime have strong female characters, who fight evil and save the world, better than Marvel movies! Mahou Shojo anime are progressive and amazing! Precure (Pretty Cure) is amazingly animated and pushing boundaries of animation, so you should respect it!

Second;
Mahou Shojo anime are not just for girls! I repeat. stop stereotyping! And also to all you mahou shojo haters, you are not lesser of a man for enjoying mahou shoujo anime. Stop harassing male anime fans who enjoy mahou shojo anime! Please stop, you are not a macho man for hating on male anime fans who watch mahou shoujo anime. Lets us all like what we like, and our fandom will be a better place that way.

Third;
Please watch more magical girl anime because of anime fandom ignoring magical girl anime they stopped making them and now only make bad anime. Watch Ojamajo Doremi, which is a literal masterpiece and one of the best anime EVER CREATED! (don't quote me on that) I am sure then you will be more open minded and realize how amazing magical girl anime actually are! This is really important! Also watch Creamy Mami, because it is GOAT!

Magical Girl anime are culture!
I pray every night that the anime fandom wakes up and starts consuming mahou shojo anime like crazy again, and we get second renaissance of magical girl craze next year! 
okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkay 👍

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

May 17, 2023 11:39 AM

Jan 2008
It's the girls part of magical girls that loses my interest as I much prefer male anime characters 
May 17, 2023 11:48 AM

Jul 2014
I simply haven't found a lot that have piqued my interest, but I also don't hate or even talk especially poorly about them, all genres have some sort of merit in my eyes.
Thank you for the recommendations though OP!
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
May 17, 2023 11:53 AM

Nov 2011
one mistake people make is to assume all magical girls are the same or that just because two people like magical girl shows, they have similar tastes.
there are essentially four different types of magical girl shows:

(1) magical girl shows aimed at a younger, female audience. examples: sakura card captor, sailor moon, shugo chara! and precure. these have little to no fan service and is generally family-friendly

(2) magical girl shows aimed at older males. examples: Nanoha, Fate/Kaleid. these usually have plenty of fan service

(3) magical girls shows aimed at "mature" audience, which usually mean edgy teens who like gore and stuff. example: Madoka magica and maybe yuuki yuuna

(4) magical girls that poke fun at the medium though parody, which works well for people tired of the typical magical girl tropes. for example, Machikado Mazoku and Mahou Shoujo Ore

Usapz said:
Serafos said:
Again, I agree with you.

Pretty Cure is my favorite anime series. People should give it more love. <3

You can start with any Precure series except for Futari wa precure Max Heart and Precure 5 gogo. Different people will like different seasons.
Personally, I loved Fresh Precure. It has great character progression, great villain backstory (which Toei tried to replicate with the later precure seasons). Even the side characters were well done in my book.
It also teaches some important messages to children.

I also loved Smile Precure - it follows the theme of fairy tales and it's really cute and funny. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I also loved Maho girls precure. i believe it's the first season where a male character fights along with the precure. For newer seasons, Hugtto Precure and Star Twinkle Precue were great imo.

You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 17, 2023 9:47 PM

Apr 2015
They do still produce magical girl shows now and then. The difference just is that they're clearly aimed at older audiences compared to before where we still had more shows also for younger population. If anything you could just blame children simply just not buying enough toys for studios to cash in more typical mg series. Now we only have Precure each season since it still sells.

And I say this as someone who really likes mg shows, I can very easily understand why someone might have dislike towards them.
May 18, 2023 6:06 AM

Dec 2020
Because this shi*'s even dumber and shi**ier than Battle Shounen , Isekai , Harem & Ecchi combined

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

May 18, 2023 10:27 AM

Apr 2018
the real answer is that anime fans watch madoka, assume that they've watched the peak of the genre because it's a 'deconstruction' and then don't bother with it ever again

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 5 hours ago

24 by deg »»
24 seconds ago

Poll: » Japanese Anime and its Relationship to the Source Material vs Western Media

LSSJ_Gaming - 3 hours ago

9 by trinitroglycerin »»
3 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - 1 hour ago

17 by Goblingaming »»
4 minutes ago

» Opinion on yaoi ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

draculalover666 - Jan 20, 2022

314 by Memore »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 4 hours ago

26 by joseifan »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.