Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 2, 2023 8:27 AM

May 2008
I'm sorry to be the one who starts the topic but… what was the meaning of adapting this if there's nothing following it?

This OVA adds little to the S3 ending.
May 2, 2023 9:00 AM
Apr 2023
If you just wanna see more light hearted moments from the anime then I guess it does just that but I seriously dont get why they left out so many yukino and hachiman moments
May 2, 2023 11:45 AM
Mar 2021
This was a disgrace. I have red the ln of this thankfully and  The ln I really liked cause I wanted to see Yukino and Hachiman.  When I heard this was getting animated I was Really happy.
But Studio feels ruined My teen romantic comedy life they ruined season 2 and 3 they are the worst studio a blind man can direct better then him. I think the Studio is a flippin Yui fan {Not saying Yui is bad} They animated the Yui parts and Basically left all the Yukino parts.

The OVA is a horrible adaptation of the first 4 OreGairu Shin novels, condensing 60,000 words into a mere 20 minutes of animation. A lot of content is either completely cut or rushed and the OVA ends on effectively on a cliffhanger. This is very, very bad, but if you want to know more details then read the spoiler section of this review.
May 2, 2023 3:44 PM
Nov 2019
As if shin wasn’t bad enough, studio feel had to add original scenes to appeal yui fans...
May 2, 2023 3:52 PM
Sep 2020
I watched it on Bilibil, have to say I'm disappointed beyond imagination. I didn’t like the colour grading, also even for a fucking date seifuku??? Lol how lazy can they be
May 2, 2023 9:18 PM

Feb 2021
Even as a Yui fan myself, from what I'm hearing, yeah this was bad on all fronts. They easily could have made this an hour, like I can't imagine how painful it would feel to wait 3 years, and get this
May 2, 2023 9:26 PM

Jul 2019
Aramtheanimeman said:
This was a disgrace. I have red the ln of this thankfully and  The ln I really liked cause I wanted to see Yukino and Hachiman.  When I heard this was getting animated I was Really happy.
But Studio feels ruined My teen romantic comedy life they ruined season 2 and 3 they are the worst studio a blind man can direct better then him. I think the Studio is a flippin Yui fan {Not saying Yui is bad} They animated the Yui parts and Basically left all the Yukino parts.

The OVA is a horrible adaptation of the first 4 OreGairu Shin novels, condensing 60,000 words into a mere 20 minutes of animation. A lot of content is either completely cut or rushed and the OVA ends on effectively on a cliffhanger. This is very, very bad, but if you want to know more details then read the spoiler section of this review.

The studio being biased and having preferences is quite well-known within the community. It has come as no surprise to me anymore.

WizardKnowsNoBou said:
As if shin wasn’t bad enough, studio feel had to add original scenes to appeal yui fans...

More self-inserts. Ironic given Oregairu is all about none of those shit.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
May 2, 2023 10:18 PM
Mar 2021
LordSozin said:
Aramtheanimeman said:

The studio being biased and having preferences is quite well-known within the community. It has come as no surprise to me anymore.

WizardKnowsNoBou said:

More self-inserts. Ironic given Oregairu is all about none of those shit.

Sadly that's why they are the worst Studio
May 3, 2023 1:23 AM
Apr 2022
 The said:
AramtheanimemanThis was a disgrace. I have red the ln of this thankfully and  The ln I really liked cause I wanted to see Yukino and Hachiman.  When I heard this was getting animated I was Really happy.

season 2 bad ? lmao i know u hate .feel in some aspect but stop being dumb hater kid. Season 2 was only best quality they can produce lmao and u said bad lmao 

May 3, 2023 2:32 AM

Dec 2021
Sure I have read parts of Shin along with some summaries which are problematic especially the early parts but this OVA is just bad. This is outrageous why it came out like this instead of adapting something like a mini series of OVAs for Shin where the Hachiyuki fluff moments don't get cut. Someone in feel must have been really salty that the source material and S3 made Yui cry so much to the point that they have to ruin it through this OVA.

May 3, 2023 4:33 AM
Mar 2021
lehuy0210 said:
 The said:
AramtheanimemanThis was a disgrace. I have red the ln of this thankfully and  The ln I really liked cause I wanted to see Yukino and Hachiman.  When I heard this was getting animated I was Really happy.

season 2 bad ? lmao i know u hate .feel in some aspect but stop being dumb hater kid. Season 2 was only best quality they can produce lmao and u said bad lmao 

I'm not saying season 2 is bad I loved it if you check my list you will see I rated a 9\10. When adapting those Volumes studio feels kept All the Yui parts and cutted Any other part.I'm not a kid.
May 3, 2023 6:12 AM

Jan 2020

I couldn't agree more with what you said there, the only reason why I decided to watch this OVA anyway is because I cared for this series a lot even if it means we have to suffer a lot from the Yui scenes and a lot of stuff which were cut from the original source.

And so I gave this a 7/10 rating.

May 3, 2023 2:23 PM

Jul 2019
Aramtheanimeman said:
lehuy0210 said:

I'm not saying season 2 is bad I loved it if you check my list you will see I rated a 910. When adapting those Volumes studio feels kept All the Yui parts and cutted Any other part.I'm not a kid.

Pretty much. Generally, we still love the series for what it is---even more so if you're a fan of the original Light Novels. But one can't deny the obvious cut-outs that the anime have done. So, @lehuy0210, there's no need to get hostile and defensive about it. I'll say this: I accept the anime as what it is. I firmly believe the anime overall did an exceptional job of bringing out the core elements of the series. But I do have disappointments. That's why, even as a fan, when the obvious cuts that I and many others thought were important for some character, like, Yukino's perspectives in season 3 that should've been there, you can't help but feel some bias in the anime. Also, when certain perspectives and elements are cut, it leads to anime-only people forming false perceptions and conclusions. And in some cases, utter confusion from what I've seen. Which is frustrating in my eyes. The best advice I can give for anime only then is to rewatch the entire series in order to grasp the entire subtext, drama, characters' motives, and the goal of the series as a whole.

But, that's just me.

RaiYou said:

I couldn't agree more with what you said there, the only reason why I decided to watch this OVA anyway is because I cared for this series a lot even if it means we have to suffer a lot from the Yui scenes and a lot of stuff which were cut from the original source.

And so I gave this a 7/10 rating.

You've already seen the OVA? That's surprising since I couldn't find it anywhere.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
Koito91May 14, 2023 4:11 AM

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
May 3, 2023 4:56 PM

Jan 2020
You've already seen the OVA? That's surprising since I couldn't find it anywhere.

Yeah, I have watched the OVA although it was in hard Japanese sub.

Mod Edit: Removed Link to Copyright Material.
Koito91May 14, 2023 4:10 AM

May 3, 2023 11:07 PM
Jul 2021
OVA 3 is sh*t, as well as Shin, wtf happened with Yui?
May 4, 2023 4:24 AM
Mar 2022
That was a great ova! Seeing oregairu cast after three years in a new story was very nostalgic. It's been three years anime ended and just seeing my favorite characteres again was really delightful.
Episode progressed good and since I haven't read the shin so I don't know what's this hate is about.
Anyways it was great, wished it was little longer.
Btw who knocked the door at end after which the episode ended???
May 4, 2023 5:06 AM
Jan 2021
I haven't watch the ova, but thank you everyone.
Since Yui is my favourite girl, I'll go watch it now, and have an opinion for myself.
But I'd like to watch the "another" novel animated instead
May 4, 2023 5:43 AM

Jul 2022
A few days ago I read that this OVA focused more on Yui but I thought it wouldn't matter when I watched it, but it was the opposite. It's one of the few times I've been disappointed. I have fresh memories of how season 3 ended, since I saw her again recently, so I don't see the need for them to have focused so much on Yui, since it was quite clear what her position was that she would not give up . (I love the character but...)

I translated my opinion into English, so most likely the sense of what I want to say is lost a bit.

And something aside, am I the only one who thinks that Hikigaya's voice is different? This was bothering me throughout the episode, it's been 3 years since the 3rd season, but Eguchi is already an adult so there shouldn't be that much change in his voice. (Or did they change Seiyuu? I don't think it's the case, but since it's not in the MAL data yet, it makes me doubt a bit)

I think it's the first time I've complained a lot about something I like. xd
May 4, 2023 4:04 PM

Jul 2011
Yoooo this is the first time I've ever complained about a japanese voice acting but wtf happened to Hachiman's voice? It sounds kinda out of sync and like some kind of fish globe. Huge disappointment.
May 4, 2023 11:51 PM

Feb 2021
Yep, that sucked. What HansDevX said about Hachiman's voice was spot on, it was so off. I only liked Iroha insulting Yukino's mom because I still can't stand her and Hachiman's sister acting like a cat, rest of it was just meh to ughhh (mainly the scene with haruno, will forever hate her)
May 6, 2023 1:08 PM

Aug 2019
Can see where all the complaints were coming from, but I actually enjoyed it

That version of Hello Alone worked well for Yui's scene

Enjoyed the banter from all the girls, but no Hiratsuka sensei was a bit disappointing

This itself made the watch worth it for me

May 7, 2023 5:11 AM

Oct 2010
the first 13 minutes are unwatchable, good thing we got a date with Yui, 8man will surely see how Yui is superior and will break up with that garbage and Yui said to the slut that she will not give up on 8man. Yui best.
May 7, 2023 8:34 AM

Nov 2019
A clusterfuck all and all, yet this practical 23-minute-long adaptation of the phony outermost layer upon an overwrought and underwritten copy-pasta is always far greater than what the invaluable loss for the environment in six volumes and 180 pages of physical paperback could ever achieve. In addition, seeing Oregairu fans seething in review section was the greatest enjoyment this shit brought to me. And they said this franchise wasn't your average Fooling Around with Your Harem!

Catalano said:
the first 13 minutes are unwatchable, good thing we got a date with Yui, 8man will surely see how Yui is superior and will break up with that garbage and Yui said to the slut that she will not give up on 8man. Yui best.

Man, I have absolutely nothing to go against you other than "Just cope harder".

SgtBateManMay 7, 2023 5:29 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

May 7, 2023 10:13 AM

Apr 2010
Quite liked it, very fun OVA (made to help selling the VN).

Btw, it was Watari himself that wrote the scrip for this one, deciding on the contents, first time he wrote the script for a Oregairu anime episode since the s1 OVA.
May 7, 2023 11:28 AM

Jul 2021
I didn't suffer a lot since I'm not really into this shipping war, to begin with, but I find this OVA really suggestive, should it exist or not? From what's being shown is Yui trying to rebound(?) Well more like trying to steal 8man lol. I like both Yui and Yukino but Yui in particular, I felt like this OVA ruins her character, well not in the case for SOME Yui fans, but it feels very odd to see this route after what legit happened in S3. Another thing I can't help but notice and wonder whether certain moments between Yukino and 8man were omitted from the OVA that were present in the light novel? I haven't read the Shin light novel so kek call me clueless for this. The conversation between Yui, Komachi and Iroha was funny, wished there were more of these.

"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

May 7, 2023 11:39 AM

Jul 2019
TiagoCosta said:
Quite liked it, very fun OVA (made to help selling the VN).

Btw, it was Watari himself that wrote the scrip for this one, deciding on the contents, first time he wrote the script for a Oregairu anime episode since the s1 OVA.

Now, that explains the witty dialogues, lol.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
May 8, 2023 12:40 AM
Apr 2017
Tbh I didn't really like how they adapted the story which focuses more on HaciYui than HaciYuki as it should be like in novel.

Well at least I got some lovely scene from Yukinon 💕

May 8, 2023 11:17 AM
Oct 2021
The OVA seemed like a summary of what happens in the LN, after S3, honestly a bit disappointing considering it was 3 years before we got another ep, and it ended up being quite rushed, but hey, atleast we got a few great scenes, and I guess I'm just glad I got to watch this anime one last time.
May 8, 2023 5:58 PM

Dec 2019
these scores are yiiikes, there's only 1 torrent so far and it has weird subs, is this OVA really bad to the point where it's not worth waiting for better fansubs?
May 8, 2023 6:03 PM

Jan 2021
Euroqean said:
these scores are yiiikes, there's only 1 torrent so far and it has weird subs, is this OVA really bad to the point where it's not worth waiting for better fansubs?
This OVA was embarrassing they're trying so hard to make Oregairu into a harem its hilarious. Not to mention the source novel oregairu SHIN has questionable writing anyway so of course FEEL./producers decided to add their "creative" take on it to add salt to the wound. The subs are not great. Overall the OVA is not worth watching. btw to all of y'all Yui is trash. 
May 8, 2023 10:45 PM
May 2023
Hi guys! I bought the OVA with the new game for Nintendo switch.
However there aren’t subtitles in the OVA and I can’t speed japanase.

Could you please let me know where I can find a transcript of the OVA 3 or subtitles in order to understand it?

Also Japanese subtitles are good!

Thank you!
Sweet_JohnMay 8, 2023 10:52 PM
May 12, 2023 7:50 PM

Mar 2010
Literally nothing new in this ova. Very disappointed.
May 12, 2023 7:59 PM

Aug 2020
This OVA is a heartwarmer. I loved it. Hachiman is finally developing his bonds with Yukino and her family. Yui however won't give up easily... Well, they didn't adapt vol 14.5 as I was expecting; but I really liked this. So good to see Komachi and Isshiki together as well.

May 12, 2023 10:50 PM

Mar 2019
what the hell was this all about ? lmao this was nothing i want my 30 mins back 
May 13, 2023 2:55 AM
Jul 2021
I really didn't like it. They ruined yui , iroha's and komachi's character
May 13, 2023 3:11 AM

Oct 2010
yukinon is garbage
May 13, 2023 3:28 AM
Feb 2023
MAXproARYAN said:
I really didn't like it. They ruined yui , iroha's and komachi's character
yaa.. right. I agree with you

Biography

RomCom Lovers!
May 13, 2023 5:09 AM
Apr 2018
Episode name : A date with Mother-in-law     xD 

Iroha and Komachi are adorable, that's all. 
Overall, funny ova. 

Thanks! 
May 13, 2023 4:10 PM
Dec 2021
great OVA, liked it a lot.
May 13, 2023 8:44 PM
Jan 2013
Hated it a lot.

May 13, 2023 9:57 PM
Nov 2019
I'm not sure why people are so upset,there could of been more love and romance scenes between Hachiman and Yukino but what we got I thought was sweet and sincere. Also the way this ova is exactly like the series it's the exact style of Yahari the complications and how everything is implied behind the expressions,the words they want to say are hidden in plan sight just like always,they express there feeling just not directly. It's awkward but it's yahari style through and through im sad to see it end I wish there was more because I feel there is more to tell but overall it's one of the best series ever and this ova proves the characters still impact the screen more than other anime nowadays.
May 13, 2023 11:53 PM
Roxy M Greyrat

Feb 2022
What the fk is this? Do they have dementia? Don't they know that the story is already complete? They think they are pleasing Yui fans? they are killing Yui fans, the whole development of Yui's character just all collapsed. From crying out all of her tears and admitting her loss to now stealing 8man?! oh my goodness, I can't even look at her face anymore, she is my favourite character in SNAFU, but now her character just fell apart and this whole thing just make no sense anymore.
Roxy Migurdia~ yes~ ahh~
May 14, 2023 6:06 AM

Mar 2018
Hey... Does anyone still remember about the sensei? where is sensei? I know she's been transferred, but come on! Don't let the sensei ship reach the seabed, I know she's a submarine equipped with Dongfeng missile ready to sunk all ships...
May 15, 2023 4:05 AM

Aug 2014
Well, that does it for this franchise. 

Season 1 and its OVA = youll always be special to me.  I look forward to rewatching you again in the future. 

Season 2 and its OVA, season 3 and its OVA = Nice knowing you, but ill never watch you again. 
oooo3333May 15, 2023 11:05 AM
May 15, 2023 10:28 AM
Apr 2018
I personally enjoyed it.  It's been a while since I've watched all of SNAFU so I had forgotten a lot.  But this OVA brought back the feel of the show and why I love the characters so much. 
And Hachi always cracks me up.
People will nitpick anything, and I get it, especially if you're a devoted fan, or have read the Novels. But as a casual viewer,  I thought it was pretty decent.
I think this was an episode not meant to be taken super seriously. 
It's already been established that Yukino "won", but that doesn't just mean Yui lost all of the feelings she had towards Hachi.
The dynamic between Yukino and Yui felt playful towards the end, and made it seem like they'll all stay remaining good friends. 
And knowing this is enough to make me happy.
May 15, 2023 12:31 PM

Jul 2017
The drawings are actually not too bad in this episode and fairly consistent, solid for an OVA. The content and the way feel approached it was bizarre though. I'm not crazy into the main two girls in the series so my bias isn't quite there (only real character I loved in the rewatch was Hiratsuka by a lot), but there definitely seemed like an imbalance here in both the first and second halves respectively. The content with Iroha, Komachi and Yui could have easily been removed, that added nothing whatsoever and was a waste of time overall. Not great.
May 16, 2023 6:05 AM
Jul 2020
i just enjoyed the characters interacting with each other so much that didnt really care about anything else. its a shame its just 1 episode and with that said, it felt a bit rushed. but i enjoyed it nonetheless.
May 17, 2023 8:54 AM
Jun 2016
i'm not the LN reader so with this OVA i can say that it was a fine one, but after i read some opinions online about this OVA, now i know why they are all so pissed.
i think the way the studio animation adapted its og source is to encourage the viewer to support and play the upcoming VN, so they can get more and a better version of the story
and yeah now i'm interested to play the VN and maybe start to read the og LN as well(?)
May 17, 2023 9:10 PM
May 2023
The following is my opinion and has heavy spoilers for the novel

This is the only art piece that left me heartbroken. Sad movies, anime, etc. usually teach you something and feel satisfying even if they end with a tragedy or if evil wins.

Yui is the first character that made me feel like I was watching a massacre. I felt so bad for her when I realized she had lost to Yukino. In my opinion, Yui was portrayed as a great girl (at the time of this review my best girl across all 39 anime I have watched). I am aware that she was selfish when she chose to pursue Hachiman over her friendship with Yukino. I also think it is clear that Hachiman and Yukino would not have ended as a couple without her intervention throughout the series. As a result of this fact, I did not really enjoy season 3 of Oregairu at first because my mind was on Yui every time Yukino was with Hachiman. I remember ending the 3rd season and staring into the floor contemplating my life decisions. After I finished the 3rd season, I started watching reviews and recaps and came to really appreciate Oregairu as a whole.

And now my critique:
The OVA destroyed Yui as a character for me. She went from the girl that represents what I want in life to an immoral backstabbing friend. Also, Hachiman became a pushover and Yukino became controlling. Komachi and Iroha where being trash people by convincing Yui to keep trying to date Hachiman. In my opinion, it was a disaster. The only way to save the OVA is to read the novel or watch a recap because it does not destroy any character. It actually builds the story and brings the things to the table that made this series great. It is clear Yui has accepted Hachiman and Yukino as a couple. Yui actually takes steps to secure her friendship with Hachiman and Yukino while also helping them to become a stronger couple. Finally, Yukino and Hachiman make reasonable changes to communicate better between each other and to build their relationship.

My Conclusion:
If the OVA respected the source material and was not as rushed this ending would be excellent and a great closure for both Yukino's and Yui's teams. It would also establish this as one of the greatest rom coms of all time. If I did not watch a recap of the novel, I would probably recommend people to never watch the 3rd ova.
Finally, in my opinion this is no longer a uniquely heartbreaking art piece. After all, it is clear from the novel that Yui is going to respect her friend's relationship and move on after her feelings for Hachiman subside even if it takes her time. I am a little sad that Oregairu is not that unique anymore since they gave a closure to Yui's character but also really happy for her and imagine a future in which she is happily married and with kids while also maintaining a close friendship with another happily married couple with kids (Yukino and Hachiman).
May 17, 2023 9:50 PM

Jul 2019
Catalano said:
yukinon is garbage

This adaptation is a whole can of garbage. You want some wish fulfillment at the cost of the series' original premise, ideas, and characterizations? You got it. You want more of Yui? You got it. You want this to be ship war? You got it. I mean, you got it in Season 3, and now this OVA. Put your head in and indulge in it.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who wants a Yui route?

saikyozero - Jul 2, 2023

27 by badabass »»
Mar 14, 7:24 AM

» What's the likelyhood of this getting dubbed?

MrYandereFan26 - Aug 2, 2023

4 by Reversign »»
Aug 3, 2023 5:39 PM

» Is this after S3 Finished or its between some timeline?

WomboComboLongo - Jan 22, 2021

37 by Asudox »»
Jul 30, 2023 11:59 AM

» How much does this OVA adapt?

TsutanaiFuun - Jul 6, 2023

4 by GeoXsf9 »»
Jul 8, 2023 5:53 AM

» Who opened the door at the end of the episode?

SMERQY - May 29, 2023

9 by Ricky16 »»
Jun 20, 2023 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.