Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2023 4:53 PM

Apr 2018
Does Voice Actor Change bother you?
Apr 7, 2023 4:55 PM

May 2019
No it doesn't bother me at all, voice actors come and go all the time.
Apr 7, 2023 5:06 PM

Dec 2012
The Japanese VA, no, but the English dub actor, yeah, but just a little.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 7, 2023 5:18 PM
Apr 2019
idc about voice actors at all and couldn't tell you one but, when they changed the va from saiki(dub) ,from the 1st to the 2nd season it ruined the show.i didn't even watch the 2nd season bc of that he ruined it 
Apr 7, 2023 5:21 PM

Feb 2019
Yes it does bother me if I'm being honest. Especially if I happen to like the voice or the voice is very unique that it couldn't be replicated. It ruins the immersion of the show for me & just feels weird in general.
Apr 7, 2023 5:27 PM

Apr 2016
Depends. Generally, I'm not happy about it, but if for example a legend like Kobayashi Kiyoshi finally decided to lay down the mantle of Jigen Daisuke, then I can totally respect that (and I think Ootsuka Akio is doing a good job stepping into his footsteps). But other than cases like that, no, not a fan at all and it really bothers me.
Apr 7, 2023 5:29 PM

Oct 2013
Depends on how noticeable or distracting the change is. I'll use Simpsons and Family Guy as an example. Recently it's been decided that no matter how offensive (or non-offensive) the original portrayal was, every character must now be voiced by a person of the same race. Family Guy responded to this by picking someone who could actually slip into the role of Cleveland without anyone ever noticing the difference. Simpsons, for their more iconic character, Dr. Hibbert, chose someone who couldn't even do his trademark laugh. Guess which one I think was the better choice...

And yeah, I know, this is an anime site, and a lot of people probably don't give a shit about either of these shows anymore even if it wasn't. But this was the easiest comparison I could make.
Apr 7, 2023 5:46 PM

Nov 2022
depends on actor himself and how well he fits the role

some can be a good replacement and others not

though I guess if they know how to do it, they can imitate the original good enough so it would be hard to notice change.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Apr 7, 2023 5:59 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
"Does Voice Actor Change bother you?"

Yes it does.. Specially in the modern remakes of old anime

Apr 7, 2023 8:27 PM

Oct 2017
It depends on how it is handled as sometimes it isn't noticeable, is a new and interesting take on the character, or has a good reason in universe that could be used as an excuse (like a character growing older). Some examples of changes that didn't really bother me were Teddie in Persona 4 changing from Dave Whittenberg in the original PS2 game to Sam Riegel from P4 the Animation onwards since the voices were similar, Chris Ayres taking over the role of Freeza in the FUNimation dubs of the Dragon Ball series from Linda Young who portrayed him in Z since Ayres performance was a really good take on the character and played up his narcisstic attitude a lot more, and Maxy Whitehead taking over from Aaron Dismuke as Alphonse in FMAB since Whitehead's acting was a lot better than Dismuke's was when he was a kid. Some examples of voice changes that did bother me were Rex Raptor in Yu-Gi-Oh's dub changing from Sam Riegel to Sebastian Arcelus to Anthony Salerno in the original run of the series (thankfully the video games reverted back to Riegel's original perforamance which is just iconic with the character), Yoh and Hao Asakura in Shaman King changing from Sebastian Arcelus (he did both in the 4kids dub) to Abby Trott and Erica Mendez respectively since their performances weren't as solid as their original 4kids actors, and then if we are going outside the realm of Japanese anime and video games (kind of) Christ Pratt Mario in the movie is such a downgrade compared to Charles Martinet. Voice actor changes even if for a single project honestly are a case by case basis if they bother me or not
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 7, 2023 9:12 PM
Oct 2019
Depends on the character and their voice imo. If it's a very distinct voice from an instantly recognizable VA, like Takehito Koyasu or Nobuhiko Okamoto, it would be hard to replace them without completely changing how the character sounds, so yeah, that'd bother me. But if it's a change that's barely noticeable, then I don't care.
Apr 7, 2023 9:59 PM

Feb 2020
"Does Voice Actor Change bother you?"

Not at all.
Apr 7, 2023 11:56 PM

Aug 2020
Yes, though it's inevitable when people die or the like. I'm very happy it's not common in most Japanese media I consume.
Apr 8, 2023 4:54 AM

Jul 2021
I sometimes watch anime with unfinished dub, so I have to watch the end in Japanese.
Also Vinland Saga has 2 dubs, and watched it half and half.
Apr 8, 2023 5:19 AM

Mar 2021
Pretty much every role tatsuhisa suzuki got dropped. He had such a cock manly voice that added personality to characters like draken and anos.
Apr 8, 2023 9:00 AM

Aug 2018
i guess i mostly dont because the only one i can remember is the blonde haired trainer from haikyuu, that was super annoying though because his current voice sucks
still having great time with my stuff
Apr 8, 2023 9:17 AM

Jan 2010
not at all, sometimes I don't even notice that they were changed.
Apr 8, 2023 10:23 AM

Jun 2017
Generally, because i get used to a certain voice and a new one just...doesn't feel right.

Especially when you replace someone with a classy, sexy voice like Megan Hollingshead with some southern sounding girl who sounds nothing like Mai.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Apr 8, 2023 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
I will always think ashs English original va is better
Apr 8, 2023 10:38 AM

Apr 2018
Can't say it doesn't when I'm holding off on watching The Misfit of Demon King Academy Ⅱ for that very reason even tho I loved S1.
Apr 20, 2023 11:59 PM

Mar 2021
Concerned. When voice actors are completely changed in remakes, I can't get used to the voices, and some films I don't watch.

Apr 21, 2023 11:48 AM

Aug 2009
If its Japanese voice actors not really.Because I am not fluent in Japanese their voices kind of sound like gibberish. English voices it would bother me depending on how drastic of a difference there is in how the voice actor sounds. Like it would bother me if Greg Ayres replaced Steven Brand as the voice of Alexander Anderson in Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate.
Apr 21, 2023 11:56 AM

Dec 2012
Yeah and it's especially sad with One Piece since it means the former VA died. I still can't get used to Sengoku's new voice and watching older episodes makes me miss it even more.
Apr 21, 2023 5:53 PM

Jul 2016
That really depends. Sometimes the voice change is barely noticeable to a point you could watch the entire series and not even realize the VAs have been swapped around at one point. Other times, the shift can be so drastic, you question why they even thought it was a suitable replacement for the previous VA. 

Of course, I'm much more likely to be irked by the latter rather than the former. 

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

43 by APolygons2 »»
7 seconds ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 11 minutes ago

3 by tchitchouan »»
2 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

28 by DigiCat »»
3 minutes ago

» New anime fans have an extreme inferiority complex and huge beef with older fans

EastIndiaCompany - 12 minutes ago

2 by Serafos »»
8 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 2 hours ago

13 by Lucifrost »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.