Forum Settings
Forums

what is your fave genre in anime and why is it ur fave genre ?

New
Feb 13, 2023 1:11 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
yes as simple as the title just wanted to know why people like certain genres, what do they see in them !!!

for me, its slice of life and supernatural (two poles haha) and i think i like SoL because maybe i am not an Overachiever so i really like to enjoy the daily minute basic things and supernatural because its like an escape from the rotten reality <3 pretty cringe reasons but yeah.
Feb 13, 2023 1:12 AM

Sep 2020
Mine is slice of life because it makes me very happy and relaxed while watching it.
Feb 13, 2023 2:39 AM

Jul 2021
My favourite genre is comedy and my second favourite is slice of life, they're my favourites because I love the type of comedy and humour you get when the two genres are mixed. Plus I've always preferred light-hearted shows.
Feb 13, 2023 4:11 AM

Dec 2021
Thriller because they are extremely rare and Deconstructions because they depict realism
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Feb 13, 2023 4:12 AM

Feb 2020
Slice of Life is the most enjoyable genre. It's easy and relaxing to watch.
Feb 13, 2023 4:13 AM

Oct 2010
my favorite genre in anime is ecchi because I like to look at hot girls doing hot things
Feb 13, 2023 5:46 AM

Dec 2015
No idea but according to Anime+:

Highest Weighted Score - Drama
Highest Mean Score - Reverse Harem
Highest Amount of titles - Action
Highest Time Spent - Action
Highest Mean Score in Titles from: 1998 and 2000 with Mean Score of 9/10
Highest Mean Score for a Decade from when are titles: 2010s with 7.89
Feb 13, 2023 7:41 AM

May 2019
my favorite genre in anime is fantasy ecchi because i love seeing sexy girls in BIKINI ARMORS fight and fondle each other.

Feb 13, 2023 7:53 AM

Aug 2018
Drama and comedy. these two elements are basically essential for me to have a good time. If not outright comedy, a little bit of light hearted-ness helps to soften the drama and make the sad times more poignant.
Feb 13, 2023 7:54 AM

Jan 2009
action im a simple fan anyway and i like to see more rule of cool
Feb 13, 2023 8:07 AM

Jun 2017
Slice of Life. I can't really say why, it just feels good and soothes the soul. 
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Feb 13, 2023 8:11 AM
Dec 2022
1. Cute girls doing cute things
2. Slice of life
3. Comedy

Honorable mention:

1. 90s romance anime
Feb 13, 2023 8:14 AM

Dec 2020
Isek*i because I'm a filthy self inserter. I also like SoL, specifically cgdct, and Ecchi.

Feb 13, 2023 8:53 AM

Aug 2021
definitely slice of life comedies
those are literally my life force u know
those make me laugh, cry, giggle like a child throughout the day, like im overflowing with happiness
im so glad this shit exists for real
Feb 13, 2023 9:04 AM
Jul 2018
Catalano said:
my favorite genre in anime is ecchi because I like to look at hot girls doing hot things
Based

Personally, romance is my favorite. I like intimacy and idealism. While often childish, it's basically a proxy for happiness. And romance is something irrational, something you engage in for the sake of engaging in it, so I like seeing that happen a lot, be it in fiction or in real life. Most romance anime are pretty much the same, but I like seeing it happen over and over again. Comedy is the most engaging genre and humor is my preferred way to deal with my intrextricable problems in real life, so these are my top two. I also used to dislike ecchi and fanservice when I was a teenager, but I've come to appreciate it as I've gotten older. I don't know, it's just cool for them to think of the viewer a little bit.

On paper, mystery sounds like it would be my favorite since occult, religion and conspiracies are my favorite things, but it's just very hard to pull it off. After good sci-fi, it is undoubtedly the hardest genre to write since it so heavily relies on subjective experience.

Sci-fi is not my favorite, but I like how the genre offers the most opportunity for your story to be thematically intricately woven. It is the genre that allows the highest possibility to express your ideas on how to change the world. Otherwise, I dislike melodrama, mecha, slice-of-life, and iyashikei. I do have autism and I'm inferring that my emotional range isn't wide enough to be able to enjoy the stylistic elements of SoL genres when they're distilled. Melodrama's strongest weapon is empathy, and I can't say that's my cup of tea. I also don't like stories whose appeal hugely relies on the viewer building bonds with the characters and therefore dilute the writing quality in that way. Such as Gintama, HxH etc. It appeals to a lot of people, but personally not what I prefer. It's hard to write S tier comedy like for each of the 400 episodes when comedy is something hard to incorporate into fiction, for example. Why I dislike mecha is because it's simply raw action. I like character driven works, which I assume is also the reason why I don't like playing video games a lot. I also hate stories that border on realism. I simply hate that shit. I don't care about it. I wouldn't be watching anime if I wanted realism.

Feb 13, 2023 9:11 AM

Dec 2021
SoL because it's calm and soothing. Not much plot or central flow of story to follow. Each episode can be enjoyed distinctly.
Feb 13, 2023 9:21 AM

Sep 2022
Girls Love

One girl in love is great. But two girls in love with each other is even greater.
Feb 13, 2023 9:38 AM
May 2022
My favorite is drama. I like intense relationships and depressing stories. Furry anime and idol anime is good as well. 
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Feb 13, 2023 9:47 AM
Jan 2022
Mine is mystery because I just love seeing how the character solves a mystery and how they solve bits of it over time, but with the small solving, there comes more questions until the big reveal. 
Feb 13, 2023 9:48 AM

Nov 2020
Romance.

because I like to see 2 character (male and female) get attracted in any form of feelings.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Feb 13, 2023 10:11 AM
Oct 2020
My favourite genre is mystery/suspense as I always love to watch anything with a tense atmosphere 
Feb 13, 2023 12:18 PM

Jan 2020
My favorite genres are idol/music/mahou shojo/shojo, I just like anything that is cute

« »
🍙 Koizumi Hanayo
Dareka Tasukete!!!
Feb 13, 2023 12:22 PM
Dec 2021
The magical girl genre, because it’s filled with strong female characters with agency, and aren’t sexualized.
Feb 13, 2023 12:48 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Mystery... As you never get bored and always trying to figure out how and who before the detective does..
Plus you learn various things like forensic science and other scientific informations and learn new tricks..

As a mystery fan I'm always wanting to see the perfect crime and secretly hoping the culprits doesn't leave any clue behind..

Also the motive and reason behind the killings and the back storyline of the culprit makes you wonder what if you were in the culprits position..
ryo-sanFeb 13, 2023 1:04 PM

Feb 13, 2023 12:58 PM
Jun 2022
I would say Slice of Life/Comedy genre. In general the plots are basic and simple but I find them quite effective when you want to have a good time while watching something.
Feb 13, 2023 1:11 PM
Apr 2022
Halqifibrax said:
Romance.

because I like to see 2 character (male and female) get attracted in any form of feelings.th
that's literally me lol but it gives me tingly feelings inside when the mc and waifs get together...  suppose I like action/romances because it keeps me from falling asleep but its also really calm.
Feb 13, 2023 8:55 PM
Apr 2022
horror because it makes my life feel better and more secure compared to the characters. sadly, horror is dead these days. we've got many isekais with 0 lose protagonists and romance with diabetes inducing couples, but 0 good horror show. is it that hard to create a show that make main characters fear and suffer in a good tragic way? dk, but guess i'll have to sulk and wait for uzumaki anime, then
Feb 13, 2023 9:02 PM

Jul 2019
Drama, Mystery, and Slice of Life. Seems to blend well together for me. 

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Feb 14, 2023 4:39 AM

Feb 2019
This is kinda hard to answer. As I like all kinds of genres. However, if I have to pick one it either mystery or psychological.

I’ve always been a fan of mystery, All thanks to a certain show that I grew up with. I feel like mystery is an important quality to every piece of fiction. A good mystery satisfies the curiosity. It allows you to interact with literature like no other genre could. It also helps you develop good critical thinking skills while simultaneously keeping you entertained. I believe humans were programmed to be curious. That’s what makes us intelligent in the first place.

My second favorite genre is psychological. If you think about it psychological fiction is a vague term. There are many sub-genres stemming from it. You got psychological thriller, drama, horror, etc. however, what draws me in towards this genre is my fascination with the human psyche. It’s always been a mystery how humans behave the way they do. We’re complex beings with contradicting emotional stimuli. What I love about this genre how it generally explores the concept of self. And what I mean by that, is it explores the different perspectives of the characters self and the contradicting nature of who they are. Dissecting their identity, and unravel Whatever darkness resides deep in their psyche. Which leaves for an interesting watch.

An extra favorite of mine would be Avant-Garde/Experimental fiction. This is a genre that I’m currently fascinated by, for reasons I cannot explain easily. Its complex & confusing. Often unorthodox with the way it’s presented. It’s a very strange genre that leaves you thinking, wondering what you’ve just experienced. It can be both cerebral & a visceral trip. Often leaving you with more questions than answers. It’s a genre that’s entrancing to the mind. A hazy dream of some kind. Shows like Bakemonogatari, Mononoke, Serial Experiments Lain, Angels Egg perfectly Incapsulate this feeling for me. With how out of touch the directing feels, coupled with psychedelic visuals & an eccentric sound design leaves for a peculiar atmosphere. 
-Kugeki-Feb 14, 2023 6:31 AM
Feb 14, 2023 4:47 AM
May 2018
Hentai, because it makes me so hard.
Feb 14, 2023 5:06 AM
Dec 2021
Romance-drama
Romcoms are bad, only a few are good enough.

Feb 14, 2023 5:07 AM

Jun 2017
Mystery, supernatural or detective stories? Yes, please.
I also love psychological stuff because it makes everything more entertaining when it's done right.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Feb 14, 2023 5:49 AM
Jul 2018
Slice of Life, I guess. I also really love Mystery + Otaku Culture anime. Shows like Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, Occultic;Nine, Eden of the East, etc. Bonus points if it has a conspiracy woven into the plot.
Feb 14, 2023 12:54 PM

Mar 2016
Drama, any form but kudos if it’s family drama. Political thriller too!

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Feb 14, 2023 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
Manga its yaoi 
Anime its pure comedy not romcoms 
Feb 14, 2023 2:05 PM

Jul 2021
I don't have a particular favorite genre in anime.
My favorite manga genre is erotica. I like the plot.
Feb 14, 2023 2:11 PM

May 2022
Mecha by far, it consists themes and genres I like too i.e. politics, military, sci-fi, space etc., it have giant robots and a lot of interesting technologies.
Space almost on the same level, but this genre in anime is pretty weak compared to western media, so it's just second place.
Feb 14, 2023 2:52 PM
Oct 2020
I like romance and comedy. I also like fantasy and action but I am pretty laid back with the types of animes I watch so I mostly watch animes that can be categorized as 'wholesome'. 

50+ Best Anime Memes | Free Anime Meme Collection
Feb 14, 2023 3:23 PM

Oct 2022
comedy. maybe because i'm always so stressed and anxious all the time and just need a good laugh. 

More topics from this board

» why are anime sometimes divided into 2 parts of 12 episodes instead of 24 episodes?

Tsuyatoash - 2 hours ago

12 by epidemia78 »»
5 seconds ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

159 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime worlds you would rather live in

ST63LTH - 2 hours ago

10 by AshuAmbrose »»
15 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7171 by YellowStarFish »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

90 by ColourWheel »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.