Forum Settings
Forums

How would you describe the emotion? (examples inside)

New
Nov 17, 2022 4:21 PM
Aug 2021
Friends, I have a few examples of facial expressions that I think are similar to each other, but I'm having a hard time concretizing them so I can explain the specifics to an artist or find similar pictures on google or draw something similar. Maybe there are separate tutorials that would deal with such facial expressions...

How would you describe these facial expressions? What is their meaning?
I would welcome help and discussion. Thank you so much in advance!
Nov 17, 2022 4:51 PM

Mar 2021
Nagi_Karman said:
Friends, I have a few examples of facial expressions that I think are similar to each other, but I'm having a hard time concretizing them so I can explain the specifics to an artist or find similar pictures on google or draw something similar. Maybe there are separate tutorials that would deal with such facial expressions...

How would you describe these facial expressions? What is their meaning?
I would welcome help and discussion. Thank you so much in advance!

One simple word would be "Euthymic".
Nov 17, 2022 5:00 PM

May 2019
i think the word you're looking for is "mild disappointment"
Nov 17, 2022 5:01 PM

Aug 2021
calm, unamused, slightly serious, "poker face" maybe...

Nov 17, 2022 5:06 PM

Aug 2021
Perhaps a look of detached interest?
Nov 17, 2022 5:31 PM

Oct 2013
Those are my expression when I'm horny
Nov 17, 2022 5:45 PM

Nov 2011
I see what you're trying to ask and describe. I understand this emotion but I agree, it's very hard to describe it. Especially the last one - it seems that the character breefly lost herself in her own thoughts after listening to something unexpected but that is not quite suprising at the same time. For me it is kind like a lack of reaction, with just a little bit of dissapointment.

(English is not my first language and I'm too lazy to find out out how to spell the word corretly so that's it)
Nov 17, 2022 6:30 PM

Jan 2022
list·less
/ˈlis(t)ləs/

adjective
(of a person or their manner) lacking energy or enthusiasm.
-insert NGE meme here-
Nov 17, 2022 7:03 PM

Dec 2014
There are no particular emotions, and their expressions don't say anything... They seem detached but are also focused, cold, but kind. Those are Kuudere characters.

kronopyNov 17, 2022 7:13 PM
Nov 17, 2022 11:44 PM

May 2018
It's the look girls give you before saying "Humph!" and stop talking to you. Like the "pre-humph face".
As Oxford Languages puts it "slightly scornful doubt or dissatisfaction".
Nov 18, 2022 1:26 AM
Jul 2018
1. Indifference with a little disappointment sprinkled on top.
2. Detachment due to prolonged disappointment.
3. Coldness as a result of consistently unmet expectations.
4. Contained disgust.
5. Apathetic resignation.

But the fourth girl is different.

1. Lost in thought.
2. Entertaining possibilities.
Nov 18, 2022 7:29 AM
Aug 2021
I will give some thoughts of my own...

For me, the state shown in the pictures in the simplest version looks like calm. But there is no indifference in the pictures, it seems to me.
I just wouldn't add indifferent characters, as I unconsciously become uncomfortable with being ignored.

The girls in the pictures are really in a kind of state of constancy, a lot of it is taken from Kuudere, but I think they are still different from the classic "calm characters", because they don't make me feel annoyed... they notice other people, give them feedback, most other characters who are classed as calm lack attention to others and live sort of within themselves.

Expanding my thoughts a bit, I'm more likely to see some sort of interest, a sort of "Hmm?" or "Hmm..." but how to describe that particular version of interest, a bit of a serious face, is a mystery to me. They are not indifferent, but at the same time not overexcited, they have a permanent question mark in their face, their voice is poised, calm but not monotonous... they are extremely inspiring to me. That special kind of quiet interest that doesn't go into a mode of shyness or indifference...

Well, it's really hard for me to describe them, in terms of my perception they are extremely interested, but they probably don't have much energy. I would describe them with the words "inquisitive mind" but such description is far from being specific, rather they just have a certain interest, which is somehow so shown that it takes my breath away...
Nov 18, 2022 7:32 AM

Sep 2021
monotonous is what i'd use to describe this
Nov 18, 2022 8:32 AM
Aug 2021
Saiorno said:
monotonous is what i'd use to describe this

It seems to me that everything is relative.
Because emotions and their visual representation is an ambiguous thing, it is difficult to say anything without pictures.

0% - indifference, monotony, shyness, many "calm" characters are too calm, which annoys or scares me.
10% - I do not know what this is, or rather how to describe it clearly, but this is the state I was trying to convey through the girls in the pictures.
20% - the limit level of arousal for these characters.

Well, for example.

Indifference, coldness, detachment or constancy, relaxation, interest... in my perception she is more likely interested (10%) than indifferent (0%), though certainly the border here is thin...
Nov 18, 2022 8:58 AM

May 2020
These emotions don't all read the same to me, moreover imo there's not enough context to establish the mood. Generally all of the images I would describe as "low energy" moods. First one looks like a look of slight disapproval or mixed anticipation (i.e. sh'e note sure exactly what she feels about it but whatever it is it's got her attention). Second one is similar though it looks more wistful but I could also mistake it for boredom. Third one I'm not really sure what the emotion is, there's barely any facial features to begin with, needs more context. Fourth one looks like tempered surprise or perhaps casting a look of heightened attention (once again I basically view this as the emotion that comes in the instant before deciding what you actually feel about something).

As a shitty artist myself I would say your best bet is to just give example images like you have here or describe a scenario and what the characters are feeling in said scenario, adjective's are not really accurate enough to exactly match with every possible emotion.
Nov 18, 2022 9:11 AM

Jan 2021
Definitely distrust/ suspicious of another person. Wary.
Nov 18, 2022 10:59 AM
Dec 2021
I do not know.

Orthonormal Matrices, Euclidean Geometry, Studies on Congruence and Linear maps.

Euclid decided that if a set of point, with specific set of distances and angles between them, are the same for 2 sets of points, but they don't share the same position on a grid, then they are still the same as One of the sets just has to be rotated and translated to the other figure to superimpose the other one. These Figures are called Plane figures, this property between 2 plane figures is called Congruence. If there is a Map, does not have to be linear, That exists which can do this, its an isometry, an isometric map. And isometric map is distance preserving, this means that if 2 point in R^n exists, Isometric map is a linear transformation (a homomorphism to itself) where distance(p-q)=distance(f(p)-f(q)). These maps allow congruence. The other properties which occur after the definition of it being distance preserving are, if F(x) represents an isometric map:
In ABC, is the point are collinear then F(A),F(B),F(C) are also collinear. This is because if they are not collinear then the distance from each point will be different or even if they are same, the size of the distances will differ and hence needs to preserve collinearity.
If plane figure ABC is a triangle, then plane figure F(A),F(B),F(C) is also a triangle with same sides and angles but potentially different orientation. they are 3 point and hence must form triangle, if there is a difference within lengths of sides, its obvious it is not distance preserving. If there is a difference in angle, then one of the side lengths must change so one of the distances between 2 point must change and hence not isometric. And so angles and sides have to be preserved.
If C is the mid point of A,B then F(C) is the mid point of F(A),F(B). This is true because the distances must be preserved. This is not only true for all Isometric functions but also true for All linear functions (isometric or not) due to the definition of linear functions: aF(b)+cF(d)=F(ab+cd).
If a set of points form a circle, under the Isometric Map. The set of points will also have to be a circle. This is because if it is not a circle then at least one of the points will not have the same distance from each other as the unmapped version did and hence not isometric, so cirlces have to be preserved.
Congruence is an equivalence relation. This is because Reflextivity is true as A is automatically congruent it to itself, Isometric map is the identity map, what it is represented as a matrix though depends on domain and codomain matrix. Symmetric is true, If A is congruent to B, B is congruent to A as if A is rotate, reflected and translated. Reverse that process and you get A,this also shows Isometric functions have an inverse. They are transistive, If A is congruent to B, B is congruent to C then A is congruent to C by composite Isometric maps.

An example of A isometric function is the translation, Such as translating vectors by units up, down, across a diagonal, However these are not Linear maps as if F is a translation. then F(x)=x+c, so F(x+a)=a+x+c, but F(x)+F(a)=a+x+2c, if c is non zero then linear combinations are not preserved.
Finding points and distances to points in an isometric map will lead to 1 point. take for example, e1,e2 and origin. only 1 point is a distance: d1,d2,d0 in this order, and so only 1 point in an isometric map can be d1,d2,d0, if not then either the 2 points are equal or the map isn't isometric.
If an Isometric Functions, F(x), is a linear map then the Origin must map to itself. Consider the Standard basis in, e1,e2,...,en. The F(ei) dont have to map to themselves However their Magnitudes (all magnitude of ALl vectors) must be same and as in standard basis, all ei are orthogonal, the F(ei) must be orthogonal. F(x) also must be an isomorphism too. And Matrix representing this is an Orthonormal Matrix.

Linear Isometric Map, F(x). If Origin is its self. The distance from a point V to the origin is A. Then distance of F(V) to f(0) is A but f(0)=origin so F(V)'s size/magnitude/distance-from-origin is A.
If Triangles and their angles must be preserved, all the ei's have 90 degrees angles so if finding functions with respect to standard basis, the f(ei) must have 90 degrees too.
If F(x) is not an isomorphism, then 2 points will map to 1 and not all points will be in the codomain, this is not isometric as 2 originally non-0 points will have 0 distance and if points in domain is omitted, its obvious their distances are not preserved.
If You are going to want a matrix to represent this map. And if the Matrix's codomain AND domain are with respect to Natural Basis THEN it will be orthonormal as the way Matrices are defined, coloumns represent the mapped version of the domain's basis and is put under the representation function with respect to codomain. As this one is both Standard basis, The coloumns will equal the Mapped version, no extra multiplying of coefficients and Actual Vector in basis needed. So, The mapped set will be size 1 because of magnitudes of Standard basis, and the set has to be mutually orthogonal because that is how the original basis is. Hence orthonormal matrix.

In R^2. If F(e1)=<a,b> and F(e2)=<c,d>. the a2+b2=1 and same with c2 and d2. orthogonal vectors have dot product to 0 so ac+bd=0.
And so: b=(+or-)sqrt(1-a2), -a/b=d/c, (-or+)a/(sqrt(1-a2))=d/c, a2/1-a2=d2/c2. c2=1-d2. so d=(+or-)a, c=(-or+)sqrt(1-a2).
And hence F(e1)=<a,(+or- sqrt(1-a2))>, F(e2)=<(+or- sqrt(1-a^2)), -or+ a>. And then you can see the matrix is orthonormal is you made it respect to natural. For larger natural basis, you would use same method. magnitudes are one. All dot products are 0, use this to find solution.

Examples of Linear Isometric maps are reflections and rotations. A vector distance A from origin will map onto a point of circle centred at origin with distance A.
You can Combine reflections/rotations with Translations. Making a combination of Glided Reflections and rotations.
Similar Shapes differ from each other with each side being scaled, so in vector matrix computations:
If a,b congruent. And C is similar to b my a scalar to K. c=bk, and a=kM+v0. v0 represent tranlsation. M represents Map, most likely with respect to Natural basis, K is scalar.
Nov 18, 2022 11:02 AM

Apr 2019
uninteresed and unamused? and poker face maybe
Nov 18, 2022 12:31 PM

Jun 2017
I call it a "Really?" face. Or a "You have to be joking" face.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Nov 18, 2022 12:47 PM

Mar 2015
1. scorn
2. attraction
3. dismay
4. caution
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Nov 18, 2022 3:49 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
thrisna said:
I see what you're trying to ask and describe. I understand this emotion but I agree, it's very hard to describe it. Especially the last one - it seems that the character breefly lost herself in her own thoughts after listening to something unexpected but that is not quite suprising at the same time. For me it is kind like a lack of reaction, with just a little bit of dissapointment.

(English is not my first language and I'm too lazy to find out out how to spell the word corretly so that's it)

Your English is way better than some people I know who were born and bred in England.. Like for example Harry maguire.. He can't even construct a single sentence correctly..

Nov 20, 2022 4:52 AM
Aug 2021
TheBlockernator said:
I call it a "Really?" face. Or a "You have to be joking" face.

That's how I would describe that emotion, too. As I thought, interest underlies this emotion, if they were indifferent, they would annoy me.
Nov 20, 2022 5:03 AM

Feb 2021
They are indifferent and emotionless for me.

More topics from this board

» Would you delete one of your favourites, in exchange for another one of them getting a worthy sequel?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

16 by NubFix »»
3 minutes ago

» Name your two favorite anime from your 2 least favorite genres/themes, and two least favorite of your most favorite genres/themes

Daviljoe193 - Yesterday

23 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

29 by LoveYourEyes »»
11 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
17 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together?

Oshieteoshiete4 - 12 hours ago

19 by Yuri-Crusader »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.