Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 11, 2022 10:43 AM

Oct 2015
Yes, it was actually disappointing to see the titular character animated in a (poor) CGI. Disappointing.
Oct 11, 2022 10:43 AM
Jun 2021
CJustawaye said:
This cgi reminds me of inuyashiki. It's not bad but i don't want the later parts to be cgi as well because the later parts have huge action sequences. Denji would seem out of place if he is the only one in 3d and everything else is in 2d. It seems that they couldn't do his chainsaw form in 2d because it's lot harder than 3d. If it's still in 3d i hope they do it right🤞

Laters fight will have 2d Chainsaw Man tho,clearly shown in the trailer.
Oct 11, 2022 10:46 AM

Jan 2015
BlizzardBoy026 said:
CJustawaye said:
This cgi reminds me of inuyashiki. It's not bad but i don't want the later parts to be cgi as well because the later parts have huge action sequences. Denji would seem out of place if he is the only one in 3d and everything else is in 2d. It seems that they couldn't do his chainsaw form in 2d because it's lot harder than 3d. If it's still in 3d i hope they do it right🤞

Let's hope for that, finger crossed
Best series of all time? Gormiti of course
Oct 11, 2022 10:48 AM

Dec 2020
BlizzardBoy026 said:
CJustawaye said:

I hope so. I really love this series i want it to exceed it's source material. If not i can always go read the manga again.
Oct 11, 2022 10:48 AM
Oct 2020
The only major problem I had with the CGI was that they used it unnecessarily for shots that should have been 2d. I get it for big, wide scenes to save time, but for walking down the hall, come on.
Oct 11, 2022 10:49 AM
Jul 2021

they mostly no life people and blind.

ignore who say bad cgi.

it's bait
Oct 11, 2022 10:50 AM

Feb 2021
revysbeanie said:
OniNori said:
The CG looked good I don't know why people are complaining for tbh

People find any reason to complain about a good anime (psst... probably fma/bleach fans anyways ngl)

Probably aot fans. Same studio and ppl were complaining about the same stuff there. They just copy paste their rants over here now.
Protesters, assemble!!

Jan 2019
Most anime fans inherently dislike CGI regardless if it is well done or not. It's like Kryptonite to them

Jan 2019
the cgi is fine but the animation as a whole just doesn't match fujimoto's art

Mar 2015
I don't mind it. Not a fan of CGI but it could be worse. MAPPA blended it with the 2D pretty well.
Jun 2022
CartoonViolence said:
revysbeanie said:

People find any reason to complain about a good anime (psst... probably fma/bleach fans anyways ngl)

Probably aot fans. Same studio and ppl were complaining about the same stuff there. They just copy paste their rants over here now.

Thanks, actually unironically forgot abt the aot fans lol
Oct 11, 2022 10:51 AM
Dec 2021
Only denji, denji in cgi is really bad
Oct 11, 2022 10:52 AM

Aug 2021
the framerate and the compositing are good, but sometimes the cg model feels a little bright compared to the night atmosphere, the movements are quite stiff, though
Oct 11, 2022 10:54 AM
Apr 2021
I think it's a Good CGI but I don't know there was something there that feel strange to me
I think that the combination of the 2D and CGI is not perfect. For example a good anime with a perfect animation using also Cgi is the last season of Kimetsu, If you compare that battles with this first battle...
But first episode, only first impressions and being very meticulous.
The episode was great!
Oct 11, 2022 10:55 AM
Jan 2022
I think the Cgi was pretty bad but still enjoyed the episode

Aug 2020
"Do people think <yes/no question>" - - > doesn't include a poll...
The cgi looks incredible, and I won't believe anyone who say it's looks shit. There are a couple scenes where it felt out of place, but it was overall very well done and looked amazing.
Call me Ren
Jan 2020
Nah it was honestly pretty iffy, everything else looks perfect I could cry anyway

Sep 2020
The CGI was very noticeable but wasn’t bad. I still don’t know how I feel about it. I though it was fun until I saw Chainsaw Man in action but I still don’t know how I feel. I neither hate it or like it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2022 10:56 AM

Apr 2016
Yes it absolutely is and people should stop defending it

Sep 2016
I'm personally a little disappointed by the CGI. I mean most of Chainsaw Man's biggest moments are action scenes so I'm definitely worried that Mappa went overboard with the CG usage and it's especially jarring because Denji in his transformed state is one of the main attractions of the series so we'll see CGI Denji a lot in the future which is a bit of a letdown. Everything aside from the CGI was pretty much perfect tho.
Oct 2017
aussie2486 said:
The only major problem I had with the CGI was that they used it unnecessarily for shots that should have been 2d. I get it for big, wide scenes to save time, but for walking down the hall, come on.

Exactly this. Even Denji walking down the street. That should not be in CG. It's like they overestimated their ability to do good CG but decided to make it a major part. Even 2D animation looks wonky in some parts. It looks awkward when they tried to emphasise the weight in the animation sometimes but is completely absent where it should be elsewhere.
Oct 11, 2022 10:59 AM

Oct 2022
even if the cgi is amazing ppl will still hate on it for being cgi. i thought it looked good tho
Oct 11, 2022 11:01 AM
May 2020
As a CGI it's great but I'll always prefer 2D animation, it's not something that is going to ruin my fun watching this peak show though
Oct 11, 2022 11:03 AM
Aug 2021
At the beginning it was kinda weird tbh, but it's not that big of a deal, it's pretty good. I ended up liking it, and let's be honest, the animation itself was fire, and the CGI is not that bad. Some people is hate just because, the anime adaptation is really good and I think MAPPA did a great work, they're putting effort and love in this anime, people should appreciate that.
Oct 11, 2022 11:04 AM

May 2020
it actually looked fine to me, even tho im not a fan of it
Oct 11, 2022 11:05 AM

Oct 2014
If the whole thing was 3D it would have been fine, for the most part, but it's an inconsistent art style. The compositing of the 2D and 3D also is done very poorly, focusing heavily on the 3D. MAPPA did invest in a whole new CGI sub-studio to help with their production, following in the footsteps of Ufotable, but they clearly still have a lot to learn with composition.

Here is a prime example of flawless compositing, where the character (not the environment) looks 2D, but it's actually a composite and you can see the full process. This is the goal with compositing, and maybe MAPPA already knows that and they just want to cut corners with all the anime their studio is producing by focusing on lazy 3D.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 11, 2022 11:05 AM

Apr 2016
runamagic said:
I think a very important thing here is that the animation of the CGI in almost all cases doesn't look very natural compared to normal anime. In general, CGI anime is very low compared to other CGI materials. When you take a look at Pixar movies or something a bit more close to home, Arcane. I think with all due respect, that the animation of the CGI is trash. Their movement is so off. Also, I won't believe you if you say that the way the chainsaws are handled is okay. It looks horrible. I think it would worth working a whole week just on this particular thing as it's the main character's main feature. Anyway, I'm most likely dropping it in 3 episodes unless the story will be exceptionally good. I had a very hard time watching the action scene which is usually the main attraction of shounens.

This is very true^
Oct 11, 2022 11:06 AM
Jan 2019
It looks alright. Some scenes look amazing, some look just okay. But if they be that creative and interesting with all the fights. So be it.
Oct 11, 2022 11:06 AM
Nov 2020
revysbeanie said:
CartoonViolence said:

As a bleach fan we are getting hate for the cgi aswell, both aren't bad I think it's fma and aot fans who want both to die.
Oct 11, 2022 11:07 AM

Mar 2009
Well.. for me this is the best example of cgi that Mappa crated so far... but it dosn't mean it's totally awesome. Still, I'd love to see every character handdrawn everytime.
Anyway I really enjoyed this episode.
Oct 11, 2022 11:08 AM
Jun 2022
DarkEntlty said:
revysbeanie said:

As a bleach fan we are getting hate for the cgi aswell, both aren't bad I think it's fma and aot fans who want both to die.

I see, forgive me for my false calling out then, fma and aot fans do tend to always go out their way to find ways to complain sadly :/
Oct 11, 2022 11:10 AM

Jul 2021
Marknnz said:
IdeZ233 said:

what a fucking clown
he is right tho, clown is the people who overhype things like this, or even Mappa, when they destroyed a lot of good original sources on their adaptation.

And what exactly are these lots of destroyed original sources on their adaptation? because I don't remember the last time that Mappa made a bad adaptation. Seems like you are just hating for the sake of hating.
Oct 11, 2022 11:10 AM
May 2022
I loved the way cgi was used. I didnt had problem in this episode
Oct 11, 2022 11:14 AM
Mar 2013
yea CGI looks horrible, don't know why everyone is tripping over themselves to defend it
Nov 2020
revysbeanie said:
DarkEntlty said:

I see, forgive me for my false calling out then, fma and aot fans do tend to always go out their way to find ways to complain sadly :/
Not going to lie i think it's time that chainsaw man takes number 1 on myanimelist fma fans are just to crazy. Didn't even know they bot other shows ratings down.

May 2015
CGI was awesome and not at all what the leak lead us to believe. The movement in some idle moments is noticeable but in motion, it's near perfect

Oct 11, 2022 11:16 AM
May 2016
It was bad, I mean compared to the hype. It's obviously not an Ex-Arm, but it's really far from KnY too.
It was especially hilarious when the zombies were "moving" without actually walking, just somehow they messed up the scene.
Oct 11, 2022 11:18 AM
Jan 2022
the cg looked amazing to me
Oct 11, 2022 11:19 AM
Feb 2021
The cgi ain't bad but its noticable. Would have preferred not cgi, but atleast we got something.
Oct 11, 2022 11:20 AM

May 2015
kvaz said:
yea CGI looks horrible, don't know why everyone is tripping over themselves to defend it
Because it's well integrated. It's a hybrid of 2D/3D and in movement, it's seamless. Only noticeable when characters are idle which isn't often. People just hate on different animation approaches but the quality is there.

Oct 11, 2022 11:20 AM

Nov 2020
Lunilah said:
If the whole thing was 3D it would have been fine, for the most part, but it's an inconsistent art style. The compositing of the 2D and 3D also is done very poorly, focusing heavily on the 3D. MAPPA did invest in a whole new CGI sub-studio to help with their production, following in the footsteps of Ufotable, but they clearly still have a lot to learn with composition.

Here is a prime example of flawless compositing, where the character (not the environment) looks 2D, but it's actually a composite and you can see the full process. This is the goal with compositing, and maybe MAPPA already knows that and they just want to cut corners with all the anime their studio is producing by focusing on lazy 3D.
that's not 3d. they just using 3d model just to help them draw that scene, That's what people called "rotoscoping". Ufotable's 3d still looks noticeable anyway
Oct 11, 2022 11:21 AM
Mar 2021
Cgi was actually pretty good.
liam_kunOct 19, 2022 7:40 AM
Oct 11, 2022 11:22 AM
Mar 2013
Emblemz said:
kvaz said:
Because it's well integrated. It's a hybrid of 2D/3D and in movement, it's seamless. Only noticeable when characters are idle which isn't often. People just hate on different animation approaches but the quality is there.

its anything but seamless, anytime the CGI denji is on the screen, the contrast is SO high compared to any of the zombie devil shots or zombies or even when makima shows up
stop lying bro
Oct 11, 2022 11:25 AM

Oct 2014
DrkSeid69 said:
Lunilah said:

that's not 3d. they just using 3d model just to help them draw that scene, That's what people called "rotoscoping". Ufotable's 3d still looks noticeable anyway
Didn't call it 3D. If rotoscoping is the more accurate term than a 2D/3D composite, so be it.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 11, 2022 11:26 AM
Feb 2021
It was so horrible
Oct 11, 2022 11:26 AM

Sep 2008
it was bad, but not the worst. imo aot's looked better, which I'd call decent.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Oct 11, 2022 11:27 AM

Oct 2018
personally i didnt mind the cgi.

But then again, has there ever been a time where people haven't been complaining about CGI?
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Oct 11, 2022 11:27 AM
Mar 2021
I thought it looked great and loved the first episode.
Oct 11, 2022 11:28 AM

Feb 2019
I'd say the blend of 2D & 3D worked well in this one - and I'm usually someone who nearly despises the use of 3D.
I also would like a full 2D anime more - just because of the implications - but where would this stop? Demanding a fully hand-drawn anime of that dynamic in 2022?

MAPPA clearly did well hiding most of the negative aspects of 3D as well - they clearly went and used a shader for de-saturation for ALL their scenes - not just where you would usually use such.
Doing so, they kept the intended feel - a slight grey fog - over all scenes to the same degree, making background and animation look coherent in nearly every scene. This gave them a good ground for the use of paralaxing - which works way better if you use edge-blur and shaders to blend different paralax layers together. On the other hand the shaders were perfect to hide most of the usual downsides of their 3D-integration.

To keep the stype of the source material, they would have been forced to use shaders for their 3D-work - by using them throughout the show though, they managed to hide more of the downsides of 3D as you usually would.

Is it perfect? No, clearly not.
And even the animation is not a 10/10.
But it comes pretty close at times and it manages to present itself as if out of one mold that way - something that does a lot for the overall feel of a show.

I'd say the wait was worthwhile - and the hype at least somewhat legitimized.
'Unfortunately' this season came up with qute some surprise-hits I didn't expect - so the overall impact of Chainsaw Man got pulled a bit down to earth.

Still - this one is up to a good start - and the pacing seemed fine as well. Now they only have to not fuck things up... ;)
Oct 11, 2022 11:29 AM
Apr 2020
It's really an amazing first episode. But i also prefer 2D animation. The Cgi here is good, but you have a weird feeling on some scenes, on the movements or the looks, for example the look from chainsaw man looks weird sometimes. But yet clearly 10/10 episode!
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why wasn't it 24 episodes? ( 1 2 )

Leon888 - Apr 9

55 by Naveen6662246 »»
Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

981 by tazisverycool »»
May 4, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 20, 2022

388 by PokefanPT »»
May 4, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 13, 2022

312 by PokefanPT »»
May 4, 10:35 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 6, 2022

582 by PokefanPT »»
May 3, 11:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.