Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2022 9:38 AM

Jul 2016
Which one are you guys prefer? Subs or Dubs? But subs have Aoi Yuki as Lucy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2022 9:45 AM

Jun 2016
Polski dub for authentic słowiański experience.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 14, 2022 9:46 AM

Mar 2021
Dub especially if u played the game in english
Sep 14, 2022 9:47 AM

Aug 2022
Dub has Giancarlo Esposito as Faraday. So only for him, dub. Sub was decent too tho.
Sep 14, 2022 9:48 AM

Feb 2017
Subs are fucking terrible so unless you understand Japanese go for the dub. Luckily it's also pretty good. Both sound good
Sep 14, 2022 9:49 AM
Oct 2020
I prefer the dub. It feels more authentic and doesn't have the enrgish pronounciation of western names. Plus it's better for the cyberpunk lore. They use the correct cyberpunk language in the dub like choom, eddies and flatline which is used in the game. I started in japanese but switched in the first episode to english
Jul 2018
dub because breaking bad Gustavo’s voice is in it
Dec 2021
Portuguese dub is decent, I can’t complain. But personally I prefer sub, japanese voice is better for me in any anime.

May 2021
The subs I watched were pretty bad. As someone above said, the dub has Giancarlo Esposito so that alone makes it better than the subs.

Sep 14, 2022 10:06 AM
Feb 2018
the latin spanish dub is god
Sep 14, 2022 10:28 AM
Nov 2019
Dub because of Giancarlo Esposito and the shitty subtitling work.
Sep 14, 2022 10:31 AM
Jan 2021
if you've played the game in English definitely dub, everything sounds just like the game. If you haven't played it then idk, I haven't seen the sub but the dub is really great
Sep 14, 2022 10:35 AM
Oct 2021
The english dub is the canon dub, as no matter what language you pick, the text messages remain in english. That said, japanese is the original/first dub, as this was produced in japan. But this is a netflix production, probably all dubs are fine.
Sep 14, 2022 10:39 AM
Dec 2017
Sub has Aoi Yuuki and Kenn, so I go for sub
Sep 14, 2022 12:17 PM
Jul 2022
watched it in English and I thought it was pretty good voices fit well with the characters
Sep 14, 2022 1:31 PM
Aug 2014
English dub is great quality.
Sep 14, 2022 3:15 PM

May 2018
"Sub or Dub"

Imagine willingly choosing not to listen to Aoi Yuuki when she is doing a sexy voice...some people here are not worthy of their weeb badges.

Theo1899 said:

Some of the songs are in polish anyway...

FTM98 said:
It feels more authentic and doesn't have the enrgish pronounciation of western names.

A polish IP, a script written by a japanese writer...I believe you.

FTM98 said:
Plus it's better for the cyberpunk lore.

Implying that cyberpunk is an exclusively english thing...
alshuSep 14, 2022 11:24 PM
Sep 14, 2022 3:24 PM

Apr 2013
Depends. if you watch this legally, you may not have EN dub (EN dub isn't available in my region). Honestly both JP and EN dub sounds good tho, but sadly the sub is just shit tier.
"As long as you're alive, something happy bound to happens"
-What a Wonderful World
Sep 14, 2022 3:39 PM
Mar 2021
Dub makes way more sense to watch for this one
Sep 14, 2022 5:46 PM
Oct 2020
Dub has the Giancarlo Esposito so is that even a question?
Sep 14, 2022 11:05 PM

Aug 2021
Dub was good (15 char...)
Sep 14, 2022 11:10 PM
Oct 2020
alshu said:
"Sub or Dub"

Imagine willingly choosing not to listen to Aoi Yuuki when she is doing a sex voice...some people here are not worthy of their weeb badges.

Theo1899 said:

Some of the songs are in polish anyway...

FTM98 said:
It feels more authentic and doesn't have the enrgish pronounciation of western names.

A polish IP, a script written by a japanese writer...I believe you.

FTM98 said:
Plus it's better for the cyberpunk lore.

Implying that cyberpunk is an exclusively english thing...
Imagine being an idiot. The japanese version sounds very generic and not interesting at all. But if you like the pronounciation of "Rebekkuh" and "Daviduh" then be my guest. And I already explained that de english dub uses cyberpunk jargon which the japanese version doesn't use. Grow up
Sep 15, 2022 12:07 AM

May 2018
FTM98 said:

Imagine being an idiot.

Imagining those who disagree with you being idiots, you must be very proud of that. But if so, why writing from a burner MAL account?

FTM98 said:
The japanese version sounds very generic and not interesting at all.

1. Yeah, everybody sounding like thugs from the 30s of 20th century in the english dub is peak creativeness. The characters from the japanese dub just sound like contemporary japanese thugs.
2. At least the japanes dub is true to the original japanese script, in comparison the translator wrote an ode called "I wish I was a Hollywood writer but I don't have the right connections, please notice me!".

FTM98 said:
But if you like the pronounciation of "Rebekkuh" and "Daviduh" then be my guest.

Enjoying engrish is part of the fun being anime fan, so if you are anime hater what are you even doing here?

FTM98 said:
which the japanese version doesn't use.

Oooh, so you meant to write Cyberpunk not cyberpunk...
1. How about the newcomers who never played the games?
2. If those words aren't used in the original script of the anime, maybe they aren't important for the plot...like at all.

Not before you learn the difference between cyberpunk as genre and Cyberpunk as franchise, which is a strange lesson to learn for an english dub proponent.
Sep 15, 2022 12:12 AM
Oct 2020
LoLyeah said:
Depends. if you watch this legally, you may not have EN dub (EN dub isn't available in my region). Honestly both JP and EN dub sounds good tho, but sadly the sub is just shit tier.

Probably because you don't choose English on the Netflix settings, or there are too much languages that English does not appear (there are 2 options for language, choose the one for the shows, not the app/client)
Sep 15, 2022 12:16 AM
Oct 2020
alshu said:
FTM98 said:

Imagine being an idiot.

Imagining those who disagree with you being idiots, you must be very proud of that. But if so, why writing from a burner MAL account?

FTM98 said:

1. Yeah, everybody sounding like thugs from the 30s of 20th century in the english dub is peak creativeness. The characters from the japanese dub just sound like contemporary japanese thugs.
2. At least the japanes dub is true to the original japanese script, in comparison the translator wrote an ode called "I wish I was a Hollywood writer but I don't have the right connections, please notice me!".

FTM98 said:
But if you like the pronounciation of "Rebekkuh" and "Daviduh" then be my guest.

Enjoying engrish is part of the fun being anime fan, so if you are anime hater what are you even doing here?

FTM98 said:

2. If those words aren't used in the original script of the anime, maybe they aren't important for the plot...like at all.

Not before you learn the difference between cyberpunk as genre and Cyberpunk as franchise, which is a strange lesson to learn for an english dub proponent.
alshu said:
FTM98 said:

Imagine being an idiot.

FTM98 said:

FTM98 said:

FTM98 said:

Dude, you're the one that started with the hostility. It's a damn anime, there's no need to overanalyse and get upset for nothing. I was just implying that the dub is more enjoyable than the sub because it uses similar language like the game. Then you went all weebie and immature over nothing. Enjoy drawing conclusions with nothing and using the victim card all the time. Once again, grow up.
Sep 15, 2022 12:58 AM

May 2018
FTM98 said:

Dude, you're the one that started with the hostility.

Which part is aggressive? Where I am self ironic about the sexy voice of Aoi Yuuki?

FTM98 said:
It's a damn anime

It's subpar by default? Adding aggressively different dub and reimagining it only can improve it?
So you do hate anime.

Fact is I don't like the story of Edgerunners, only it's visuals but what the translator did here - "Let me hijack this show and demonstrate who good I am!" (he isn't) is beyond impudent...happens to many other english dubs too.
Even if the source is somehow bland your job shouldn't be improving it (because usually you are making it even a bigger mess - exactly what happened here).

FTM98 said:
and get upset for nothing

Says the guy who missed his chooms, eddies and flatlines (or whatever) in a script which doesn't have those.

FTM98 said:
I was just implying that the dub is more enjoyable than the sub because it uses similar language like the game.

It also rewrites a lot sentences which don't have anything to do with jargon...just because the translator thought character X would say that instead.

FTM98 said:
Then you went all weebie and immature over nothing.

If rewriting/reimagining is nothing to you...

FTM98 said:
Enjoy drawing conclusions with nothing

Said the guy who called me an idiot.
I don't mind being called that tho, it shows the volume of intellectual efforts putted by my opponent.

FTM98 said:
Once again, grow up.

If you think that staying true to the source (even if we are talking about a techno gore feast) is not important...well, this goes against my idea of being adult.
Sep 15, 2022 1:42 AM

Aug 2020
Sub no doubt, i tried the dub but I didnt like David and Maine voices enough
Sep 15, 2022 1:53 AM
Jul 2018
I watched the dub version and it's great.
Sep 15, 2022 6:58 AM
Jan 2022
the dub version is great
Sep 15, 2022 7:30 AM

Nov 2014
The dub is great so far (ep 3).
Quality Queen.
Sep 15, 2022 8:07 AM
Jul 2021
the dub is great for me.
Sep 15, 2022 8:09 AM

Sep 2020
I am currently watching it on dub and it's fantastic 😁.
Sep 15, 2022 8:14 AM
Feb 2021
I’m watching it in English bc I played the game in English so it only feels right
Sep 15, 2022 8:16 AM

Jan 2009
i watch it sub but i recommend others to watch the dub because i heard its more fitting
Sep 15, 2022 8:22 AM
Jan 2019
Watch it in whichever, i personally watch with JP dub because i want to feel like im watching an anime(note if you want to watch it with JP dub and EN sub make sure you picked the right sub,because it gets really messy if you picked the CC one)
Sep 15, 2022 1:03 PM
May 2019
Personally liked the dub, doesn't feel cheap
Sep 15, 2022 1:35 PM

Jun 2014
Somehow I completely forgot Giancarlo Esposito was in the dub so I guess this gives me an excuse to rewatch this dubbed.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 15, 2022 1:48 PM

Sep 2019
tried watching latin spanish dub on an antroid tv, don't, the music is so damn loud, it suffers from the same thing every netflix anime has from the past few years, voices are too low, you can't hear them, on pc with headphones it is also a thing so i guess its an audio mixing problem on the video itself, but with headphones its managable
Sep 16, 2022 12:39 AM
Mar 2018
both. both is good
Sep 16, 2022 2:41 PM

Apr 2013
RealNath said:
LoLyeah said:

Probably because you don't choose English on the Netflix settings, or there are too much languages that English does not appear (there are 2 options for language, choose the one for the shows, not the app/client)

ah thanks! honestly didn't know the feature exists, gonna try that when I'm home later.
"As long as you're alive, something happy bound to happens"
-What a Wonderful World
Sep 16, 2022 2:58 PM

Jan 2009
With all the slang and terms they always throw around this is one of those animes where the english dub is better.

After many years of watching anime you get used to (even unconsciously) what they are saying and you get a basic gist of the sentence/meaning. In this particular case a LOT of time the japanese lines just feel awkward and out of place while you're reading down below the constant use of choom, gonk, meds, flatlined, zeroed, BDs and other slang
Sep 17, 2022 11:45 AM

Jun 2022
I agree with the above comment, I watched the first episode sub, and then dup from 2 onward, and the difference was plain to see. A lot of the jargon and slang doesn't translate well in the Japanese. That and all the text in the show is in English anyway. I'm usually a sub person, but this is one anime where I think the dub is better.
Sep 17, 2022 5:22 PM

Jul 2015
Polish dub for Slavic purity.

Sep 17, 2022 5:58 PM

Jul 2011
The english subs were horrible but I liked the voices.
Was anime really a mistake tho
Sep 18, 2022 3:30 AM

Sep 2008
JP dub because that's the original language on Netflix. Sure, English would've been fine but Aoi Yuuki was Lucy's CV so I'm not giving that up. English sub was all over the place and did not match up with original language and felt like the sub was intended for Eng dub (I have not watched Eng dub and probably won't). Eng dub always feels subpar when dubbed over the original no matter the language (ex: watching a German show in eng, just felt all sorts of weird so I watched it in German). Replacing key words for eddies, choom, gonk etc is fine but whole sentences felt like it changed and did not match up with JP dub but was watchable due being able to grasp the gist of each sentence from having watched so much anime.
Sep 18, 2022 4:14 AM

Jan 2011
Dub because they actually talk like how the character speaks in the game.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Sep 18, 2022 4:15 AM

Jan 2011
Jiffynoob said:
JP dub because that's the original language on Netflix. Sure, English would've been fine but Aoi Yuuki was Lucy's CV so I'm not giving that up. English sub was all over the place and did not match up with original language and felt like the sub was intended for Eng dub (I have not watched Eng dub and probably won't). Eng dub always feels subpar when dubbed over the original no matter the language (ex: watching a German show in eng, just felt all sorts of weird so I watched it in German). Replacing key words for eddies, choom, gonk etc is fine but whole sentences felt like it changed and did not match up with JP dub but was watchable due being able to grasp the gist of each sentence from having watched so much anime.
You need to watch this dub because this actually takes place in America if you're unfamiliar with the plot of Cyberpunk. Also a lo of the slang and jargon used will go over your head if you haven't played the game.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Sep 18, 2022 4:24 AM

Dec 2020
Dub is better, I tried watching in sub but it didn't felt like cyberpunk.
Sep 18, 2022 6:00 AM

Sep 2008
MasterHavik said:
Jiffynoob said:
You need to watch this dub because this actually takes place in America if you're unfamiliar with the plot of Cyberpunk. Also a lo of the slang and jargon used will go over your head if you haven't played the game.

Just tried in English, and sure enough, subs are entirely meant for English dub.
Hard pass, doesn't have the same vibe as the JP dub. I've only got about 25hours on the game but it's more than enough to understand the slang so I don't feel a need to watch this in English. It may have taken place in America but there are animes that have settings entirely in America or other places Gangsters for an example and this anime has been produced by a Japanese studio. A need to watch this in their respective setting's language does not constitute a necessity. It is still an anime based on the game at the end of the day and not an adaptation.
Sep 19, 2022 6:55 PM
Jul 2015
I've been a sub only for most of my anime watching life but this is the first time in over a decade and half where I really think the dub outshines the sub. The English VAs knocked it out of the ballpark. The JP VAs and their deliveries felt pretty lacking compared to their western counterparts. The mannerisms of the characters, the feel of the city, feels really in English. I think one of the charming things about it is the mix of accents you get. Gloria's Spanish accent, the corpo's Russian accent, etc. Never thought I would ever hard pass on the sub and feel this way about dub. Guess my elitism has finally been broken.
sirbootypopperSep 19, 2022 7:38 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why isn’t the cyberpsycho guy listed as a character on MAL?

SwagsOnB - May 6

12 by deg »»
May 7, 10:09 AM

Poll: » Cyberpunk: Edgerunners Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MegamiRem - Sep 13, 2022

1009 by firstkindgamer »»
Apr 30, 11:14 PM

Poll: » Cyberpunk: Edgerunners Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Pre_Yum - Sep 13, 2022

97 by Wiziliz »»
Apr 25, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Cyberpunk: Edgerunners Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Fishb0i - Sep 13, 2022

168 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 24, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Cyberpunk: Edgerunners Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Pre_Yum - Sep 13, 2022

200 by Wiziliz »»
Apr 20, 1:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.