3It was OK
12.6%
2Disliked it
2.4%
1Hated it
1.4%
Average 4.4
987 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 9, 2022 6:55 AM
Feb 2021
Good movie. But haven't really read the LN yet. So based from my understanding of the movie its good.
Sep 9, 2022 10:21 AM

May 2021
Jutin123 said:
Good movie. But haven't really read the LN yet. So based from my understanding of the movie its good.

How were the visuals?

Sep 11, 2022 7:18 AM
Feb 2021
RioFS said:
Jutin123 said:

How were the visuals?

Quite good the visuals. Only problem is the ending. Want to see what happen to da board ended up in in the end. But other thn that soo gooodddddd
Dec 31, 2022 4:33 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Got to watch this in a cinema in Hong Kong, and found it pretty enjoyable despite its fairly short run.

Of course, there were numerous elements of the show, like the entire side cast for example xD, that could have really worked with some more screen-time but the focal point of the movie, which was the romance between the two main leads, delivered and that’s more or less what I was looking for.

In the end, I was fearing that the creators would cut back and take it easier for the sake of the main leads on the time travel issue but thankfully that was not the case. Got to respect her for plunging into the tunnel despite having a fairly successful career already built in place, but I guess there’s the writer’s block and the message that gave her the push to. Can’t say it was a blind decision exactly for those reasons, ig.

As for the little sister in Karen-chan, I really loved the way she was handled in the tunnel. Made me get a little teary-eyed when she said the magic words there right before he was leaving. A parallel to the past, that really hit.

Eill-san’s been on my playlist since Tokyo Revengers’ first ED and this movie solidified that. Finale was already there but the value is different now.

Two loners with difficult personalities finding love and regaining a part of themselves in the process. As a romance enthusiast, that’s almost a checkmate for me liking the particular media.

8/10, will definitely be up for watching it again!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 28, 2023 3:43 AM
May 2022
I’ve watched the movie, then start reading the LN. Both have some differences but the main key message are identical. Tbh, I love both!! Definitely, a masterpiece.🩵

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags.
KayKimiiNov 5, 2023 8:32 PM
Mar 30, 2023 7:30 AM
Oct 2021
The plot is OK but the character detail is still need an improvement such as I think if its end like The Instellar it will do a ton of impact to viewer. Anyway a good ending is a thing
even though Anzu was older but she still love Kaoru in evrytime she waiting for. That is the most impresive scene in my opinion.
Apr 14, 2023 1:12 PM

Mar 2016
absolute_tk said:
I’ve watched the movie, then start reading the LN. Both have some differences but the main key message are identical. Tbh, I love both!! Definitely, a masterpiece.🩵
Can you tell me the difference between the Light Novel and the Movie?
Apr 17, 2023 3:24 AM
May 2022
Randodox said:
absolute_tk said:
Can you tell me the difference between the Light Novel and the Movie?

It’s in details

Light Novel has a story after the movie ending (I would say it kinda semi-spinoff)
Some events of both have a bit differences of what going on.
There are some event that does not happen in the movie but LN did.
Here’re some examples

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
KayKimiiNov 5, 2023 8:30 PM
Apr 18, 2023 10:13 AM

Mar 2016
absolute_tk said:
It’s in details

Light Novel has a story after the movie ending (I would say it kinda semi-spinoff)
Some events of both have a bit differences of what going on.
There are some event that does not happen in the movie but LN did.

Thanks for the spoilers!

Next time, I suggest you use Spoiler tags like this.

You can also edit the spoiler part of the comment above and put the spoiler tag in.
RandodoxApr 18, 2023 10:17 AM
May 28, 2023 12:37 AM

Jul 2020
How should i say about this movie.... I has cut many of my favorite part in the novel, the story was ok, and there was some dialog change, but i still really enjoy the movie, the music by eill and the art was amazing, i still give it a 9/10 because this is the series that made me read light novel and it's the first novel i have ever bought
May 31, 2023 6:52 AM
May 2023
I cried at the end. I'm glad it wasn't a heartbreaking ending.
May 31, 2023 7:53 AM
Apr 2022
They cut and changed so many nice touching details from the novel, i feel a little disappointed.
Art is great though.
Animation is fluid.
May 31, 2023 12:46 PM

Feb 2018
Wait...the translation that just came out in May isn't official right? The sentence structuring/wording is abysmal...that has to be a fan translation, right...
May 31, 2023 1:02 PM

Jan 2021
I finally got to see it and wow it was so worth it, such an beautifully made movie with an amazing story. In this movie you will experience happy things and sad things, which the actors portrayed very amazingly.
May 31, 2023 2:57 PM

May 2016
@MagicPolly  almost 9 months lol
May 31, 2023 5:17 PM
Aug 2018
Can someone explain me why she didn't go into the tunnel to bring him back (or at least go with him/discuss because he left so randomly) when he left without her ? Since the time is like 3000 times slower inside the tunnel from the oustide POV, wouldn't he have done like 30 steps at best if she had gone inside the tunnel ? I may have missed something but it kinda ruined the film for me.
GNOATXELELITEMay 31, 2023 5:32 PM
May 31, 2023 5:50 PM

Mar 2020
Visually and musically very beautiful, and had some great ideas, but didn't really do enough with it for me to get really invested. Cliched in some moments for sure, as expected from a romance sci-fi movie like this. Twists were overall quite predictable, but at least the visuals made it more impactful. Might have benefitted from a longer run time. The plot was overall quite standard, with the supernatural element being a wish fulfiller of sorts, and of course the characters had their share of hardships that they wanted to use the cave to help them out with, but in the end, I’m not particularly sure what the movie’s message really is. The ending was quite solid, though so predictable.

7/10 for now. It was a decent watch in my opinion.
May 31, 2023 9:12 PM

Jul 2022
Nice little romance at the end ngl..

Edit: It got released around 31 May (USA Time).

May 31, 2023 9:19 PM
Apr 2022
One of the best romance anime film out there!
May 31, 2023 9:56 PM
Dec 2016
Can someone clarify the ending Was she still older than him by 13 years or did her age go back? She says something along the lines of “maybe we’ve been taken back by the tunnel” and i honestly couldn’t tell her age at the end. The translation is kinda hard to understand as well.
May 31, 2023 10:18 PM

Jun 2021
Some cliched plot out there but it's good nonetheless. The visuals and animation was great.
Jun 1, 2023 4:02 AM

Aug 2021
good movie to watch in your free time, wudnt call it a masterpiece tho
Jun 1, 2023 6:48 AM
Aug 2020
I really enjoyed this movie, the story was good, great ost , great chara design 

the characters were really deep, and i really appréciate to see them spending time together.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jun 1, 2023 6:49 AM

Apr 2022
been looking forward to this for ages and it didn't disappoint.
a pleasant watch and the scene where they recreated their first meeting was my favorite.

sad that she aged 8 years but sweet ending with them reuniting, solid 8/10 for me.
visually amazing and the music was great as well.
Jun 1, 2023 9:09 AM

Jul 2021
Two friends with different goals but same direction, investigating what's behind this mysterious tunnel. I like the composition when it seems like they're measuring time between the inside and outside of the tunnel. Also the end scene was cute when they were facing each other. Kaoru and Karen fights over trivial things. Her death is what's leading to why Kaoru's father (In his drunk mode) told Kaoru that he killed her in a not so direct way, but this flashback is telling otherwise, she was just trying to pick up a rhinoceros beetle for a her bro. In the beginning, I noticed that afterwards Anzu have done her introduction and sort of form an acquiantance with Kaoru, she reads a manga in the table all alone, and what's leading up to it is that she inherited her love of the medium from her grandfather, who was a manga artist. Anzu dreams of one day becoming a published mangaka herself, but she is nervous about meeting with publishers. Anzu's parents sucks ass though. I mean, the way they don't appreciate the grandfather's work and every-time she does something that follows the line of a mangaka, her parents just make her wish go woosh. I guess the only way her wish to come true was that tunnel after-all.. Regardless whether or not Kaoru's dad is drunk, his abusiveness towards his son just irks me a lot because they have no true bond whatsoever. Seeing his new mother is just another nightmare. Man Kaoru deserves better than this. It made me giggle when they were re-acting the first time they met while holding flowers hehe. I don't get why Kaoru didn't go to the tunnel with Anzu, but I guess he carried a whole lot of burden after what happened with the new mother. Kaoru proceeds to go to a door where it goes back in time when Karen was still alive. I have no clue if this is an alternative scenario where she was able to get the rhinoceros beetle successfuly, while in reality, that's the cause of her death.. The 8 years timeskip was definitely something to happen and Anzu is definitely lonely without Kaoru, but she was able to continue with her manga serialization! They eventually reunited and the kiss was nice. A happy end overall. Going to miss this for sure. It's not perfect by any means because I'll admit, the 2nd half went through an acceleration and not surprise this happened in most movie formats like what I tend to find it really a drawback is that they have all of these ideas with a lack of execution, but it did enough to spread its own message with a minimal storytelling.

6.5/10
CQLLISTJun 3, 2023 12:12 AM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 1, 2023 9:35 AM

Apr 2009
Great visuals but the story brought nothing. Feels like a budget Your Name.

GNOATXELELITE said:
Can someone explain me why she didn't go into the tunnel to bring him back (or at least go with him/discuss because he left so randomly) when he left without her ? Since the time is like 3000 times slower inside the tunnel from the oustide POV, wouldn't he have done like 30 steps at best if she had gone inside the tunnel ? I may have missed something but it kinda ruined the film for me.
The only reason might have been that she would need to lose real lifetime as well, but yeah it's quite possible to quickly go in, yell and kiss him and go back.
Jun 1, 2023 2:45 PM

Jul 2020
That translation at the beginning was so funny, I mean, I could never picture somebody reply to "I don't have parents" with "That's good", LOL!
Overall, I think it was  a great movies. Not something outstanding, but very beautiful and emotional, pretty much got exactly what I expected from it.
Also, am I the only one who thought
My heart was pounding so hard at that moment!

edit: also, to those who haven't watched the movie yet: use a camera translator for the untranslated texts, they are often important for the story
InexplicableJun 1, 2023 2:57 PM
Jun 1, 2023 9:50 PM
Jun 2023
Yeah the texts not being translated. I feel I missed a lot.
Jun 1, 2023 10:04 PM
Dec 2020
A disappointing adaptation, it is no recommended to watch this garbage, the best option is to read the light novel directly and not waste your time with this.
Jun 1, 2023 11:21 PM

May 2020
Whoa, Anzu hit someone right on the first day of her transfer. Kaoru's bird, Kii, can talk. He said he was taking a walk, a week was an unwelcome surprise. MoCoMo? Is it DoCoMo? 

Both of them are experimenting on the tunnel. Their conversations come off as dating to others 🤣🤣🤣. The texts on the phone were not subbed, so there could be something I'm missing.

Why did he puke though? 

He left her behind to enter the tunnel, because it's not a place to get whatever you want, but instead a place to restore the past. If she didn't have the talent in the past, she can't restore it, so it's better for her to stay behind and develop herself. 

By the time he came back, button phone became smart phone. Though he couldn't bring back Karen, since the very reason for him to go inside the tunnel was to bring her back, at least in the end, he was able to realise that he needs to treasure the present and not try to bring the dead ones from the past back. They can always stay in the memory.

The songs are good, more like the singers' voice is good.
Jun 2, 2023 2:58 AM
Mar 2022
Went in without knowing anything and ended up loving it so much! This movie was fabulous. The visuals, osts, songs and the production value was top notch. The two main characters have depth, I overall like them. The chemistry between MC and FMC was well drawn. Loved the ending. Only one complaint that is was too shirt! Anyways an instant favorite, will rewatch it sometime in future.
Jun 2, 2023 6:47 AM

Nov 2013
Pretty short movie.

Kind of "nothing special" vibe to it, but still good.

That punch at the start was unexpected yet satisfying lol. 

Yeah, I think most of us knew from the start that MC would not be able to bring sister back. I can't even imagine how he'd then explain to authorities how a dead person is alive... It was a bit underwhelming how quickly he figured out he should've let sister go, and go to the present instead. Perhaps he needed to hear these words from sister? Dunno, a bit too rushed IMO.

Glad the ending was happy and the couple met. Glad that MC told the girl not to go in tunnel since she was special already. Glad it didn't take "interstellar" levels of LONG time to return :D

Anyways, I think the problem here is the movie is too short and characters didn't get enough time to develop. I'll give it solid 8/10.
Jun 2, 2023 7:13 AM
Apr 2016
this movie touches my heart.
Jun 2, 2023 7:44 AM

Nov 2013
Kegals said:
Can someone clarify the ending  Was she still older than him by 13 years or did her age go back? She says something along the lines of “maybe we’ve been taken back by the tunnel” and i honestly couldn’t tell her age at the end. The translation is kinda hard to understand as well.

Got curious and checked the novel. Here's what it says:

Novel is 325 pages in English! They must've cut out a lot of content in adaptation. Honestly I'm too lazy to read it all though. 
Jun 2, 2023 7:26 PM

Sep 2020
I had a high expectation but this turn out to be a disappointment.
Jun 3, 2023 12:05 AM
Dec 2020
Interesting!, slow paced but It can feel every moments of the anime!
Jun 3, 2023 4:32 AM
Aug 2017
Okay so I'm not sure if I changed my opinions on romance/supernatural anime movies or if this one was really not that good but it didn't do it at all for me.

I quite liked the beginning, I liked the premise and the supernatural elements, I liked the characters. But I didn't really like how it was mixed together.

First about the characters, I liked the tension they had at first and the more ""ecchi"" elements were very well integrated but it didn't give me the impression that it was more than just a teenage crush. So the fact that she waited for him for 8 years seemed pretty farfetched. And yes I know that all those romance movies do it but it doesn't really make it work any more for me. And also it feels like they didn't have enough time together, like to me the time they had was a little shallow and plain.

Now about the supernatural elements, I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with how they were used in the story. What I mean is that when I was watching I was thinking of multiple ways of how to use them and each of them seemed to work better in my opinion. So watching it while constantly thinking that it could have been better clearly didn't help me like it that much.

Also let's pay credit to where it's due, it looks absolutely great. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the voice acting. Like stop hiring actors to do the voice acting, I really couldn't get into the main guy because of it. And yes I know they won't stop but I still have to say it.

Overall, while it could have been great, I think it's just a worse version of a movie like Kimi no Na wa. It doesn't add anything to the formula and I think it starts getting old.
Salmon is really the fish of all time.
Jun 3, 2023 6:03 AM
Feb 2020
Honestly the movie is decent, it sometimes doesnt make sense and some scenes are kinda generic, however it still got me intrigued, a bad movie for me one I forget about the next day or one that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway I checked out source material and found out about the LN(which is award winning) and a manga adaptation, I already read the manga, (might read the LN later, Im going through exams rn and manga is easier to digest for me) and I think its way better than the movie, alot of stuff was cut out from the movie and some stuff was changed I assume to fit the 1:20 runtime, that too considering the manga also cut out some stuff from the LN. I fully believe the movie did a character assassination on Kaoro, In the manga and from literally the first line of the LN(Man I hate summer) he still cares deeply for his sisters loss but he nowhere near as gloomy as he is in the movie, I would get more into that but I dont want to spoil it, I think Anzus personality also shines a bit more in the manga(and I assume LN), and I think Kaoro getting the blame for Karens death feels much more earned in the manga.

I think the manga is better imo, I like Kaoro's character way more, like he somewhat moved on so his life can go on but still thinks about his sister alot, I like Anzu a bit more, some side characters are given a bit of shine. However the movie also has some stuff it did better, I like the tunnel ascetic in both and I think its up to preference but the movie's beautiful animations help alot with asctetics in general, and the romance is not as on the nose as in the manga I think, but I think thats also a bit of a personal preference. If you are checking this out because you are interested in the concept of the tunnel, the movie's 3/4th section will feel abit boring and slow and even more in the manga. What really got me intrested was the characters and the concept(even if a bit generic) or being able to bring back a loved one at the price of potentially losing everything. I do think the manga events flow a bit better together tho.

7/10 for the movie, helped by the beautiful animation. I recommend checking out the manga or even better the LN, the characters are a bit more fleshed out I think(as a result of not being limited by a movies runtime)

the LN is about 335 pages iirc and the manga is 12 chapters(finished in 3 hours) and the final volume(I think) releases on the 14th I hope you check it out, its a good read.
Jun 3, 2023 1:14 PM
Feb 2021
Kegals said:
Can someone clarify the ending Was she still older than him by 13 years or did her age go back? She says something along the lines of “maybe we’ve been taken back by the tunnel” and i honestly couldn’t tell her age at the end. The translation is kinda hard to understand as well.

As far as my (poor) Japanese comprehension goes, ghat was a typo and it had been 8 years and this she was 8 years older than him
Jun 4, 2023 2:08 AM

Apr 2020
The feeling when you know it's good but it could be better. Good animation, characters, and concept. I felt like it has actually so much potential that they could have made it so much better especially with the story writing and climax part.
Jun 4, 2023 9:46 AM
Mar 2021
What can I say i just love it.

Animation 🤧👌 10/10 (I'm craving for these)
Romance 9.5/10 (the another 0.5 is because it has a lot of room to make the romance better but im satisfied with this)
Plot 7/10 ? (I mean the plot is not very thicc or complicated or whatever since is just a 1 hour movie)
Character Designs 10/10 (Love these designs)
Songs 10/10
Details 👌 10/10 (They do keep track of time, and little details can't say them all i can't remember everyone of them, but like I also like how they upgraded her phone to iphone )
Colors 10/10 (No need explainations)
Art 👌👌👌 11/10 (Like damn if you don't agree you are partially blind)
Overall 100/100
Jun 4, 2023 3:10 PM
Mar 2022
how come japan hid this masterpiesce art from us for almost a year
Jun 4, 2023 4:16 PM
Mar 2016
A great movie. I knew I'd love it the moment he said, "It's great you don't have parents," 100% seriously. I appreciated the slow romance as well as his rapport with his imouto (quite the tear-jerking scene). I'm not exactly sold on the ending though. He left Karen behind in the tunnel. And now he's permanently 13 years younger than he should be, never finished highschool, and lost 8 years of time he could've spent with emo waifu. You gotta think that her career is basically dead too if she lost 5 years of her life running after him. And now there's this weird age and experience gap between them that didn't exist before. He'll probably constantly be reminded of the time he was gone.

I don't know. On the one hand, having a magic cure-all solution for that would have undone a lot of the effects of his decision, but it also feels like he didn't achieve what he set out to do in the first place. And if time completely reset, he would've ended up moving to Tokyo and been separated from her for a long time. But I do think a small gap would make sense. After all magic is involved. It could be a gift from Karen's love or something. And then they'd have 13 extra years to grow up and spend together.

P.S. I realize most of the text probably didn't matter, but I do wish those texts at the end had been translated in the fansub I watched. I can imagine what they said, but it would have been touching to see.
Jun 4, 2023 7:30 PM
Jul 2020
A beautiful, yet sad, but all the more beautiful story, of love that transcends time itself. A very interesting concept of desires trapped within time. This film made me feel emotional, and warm inside :) amazing animation and art style, a wonderful romance/time-travel story!
Jun 5, 2023 3:23 AM
Aug 2022
I haven't watched it yet but I can say just by cover this one is going to be Masterpiece.
Jun 5, 2023 8:20 AM

Sep 2020
Ricky16 said:
I haven't watched it yet but I can say just by cover this one is going to be Masterpiece.
Don't judge a book by it's cover. If you have high expectation for this one then you will most probably get disappointed.
Jun 5, 2023 8:37 AM
Aug 2022
ZXEAN said:
Ricky16 said:
Don't judge a book by it's cover. If you have high expectation for this one then you will most probably get disappointed.

no no I mean I'm expecting bittersweet not high expectations
Jun 7, 2023 2:33 AM
Jun 2023
I really like this anime even though it's not the best anime but it can still be enjoyed. After watching this anime, there is a feeling of wanting to watch it again. So overall this anime can be recommended.
Jun 7, 2023 9:59 AM
Jun 2023
was a very wholesome anime in general
Jun 7, 2023 10:52 AM
Oct 2018
I taught there will be some very deep philosophy in this movie, but its just a dramatic and beautiful romance between two young people. A beautiful story, I like it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Damn, it's BAD

Akita_Han - Nov 16, 2023

24 by todd2580 »»
Mar 18, 5:11 PM

» (SPOILER) Why didn't Anzu...

hainq - Jul 27, 2023

20 by janreycampo »»
Feb 18, 2:17 AM

» How is the manga or light novel

djodjd - Jan 28

6 by Spyr0H »»
Jan 30, 8:48 AM

» Small Mistake About Their First Name & Surname

MichLoverz - Nov 21, 2023

13 by holo-simp »»
Jan 10, 11:05 AM

» So how much is... (Spoilers)

Koustubh - Aug 18, 2023

9 by Py687 »»
Nov 16, 2023 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.