Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2022 10:12 PM

Sep 2020
Of course, not setting any unrealistic expectations regarding knowing every inch of content from a show. This question is mostly for those who've watched up to 1000 or so anime, is there a moment where you don't remember having watched a single or multiple shows?
I'm supposing the answer is kind of obvious but wanted to know if it affected, you know, your overall thoughts on a series.

Do you think it's ok to give a review years after watching a show without a rewatch?
Mar 25, 2022 10:19 PM

Oct 2012
Of course I don't. That's why I started the list. And then when the list wasn't enough, I started writing notes on some shows. And then when that wasn't enough, I started writing reviews to organize my thoughts. Sometimes I'm lazy and I don't write a review, then I regret it because I forget the details and when I try to think about it. And it becomes harder to write the review with each passing day. If I wrote a review of a show I watched a while back, it wouldn't be the best review. I could still do it and provide some value, but it wouldn't be up to the standards of the rest of my work. I tried that once with one of my favorite shows, and to be honest, I felt like that review could have been a lot more detailed.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2022 10:25 PM

Aug 2021
You HAVE to have a rewatch of the show you're reviewing after X amount of years to clear up blurry memories and actually know what happens in the show, not just random disconnected events in your head.

Rewatching shows has made me realize that my taste a few years ago was ass so take that as you will.
Mar 25, 2022 10:27 PM

Jan 2013
Writing a review with only the distant memory of the show you watched, sounds really dumb.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 25, 2022 10:34 PM

Feb 2020
No, but it doesnt matter. Reviews are shit anyways. If u are so provoked to write a review after x years, that does mean u recall something whether its good or bad.
AdampkMar 25, 2022 10:37 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 25, 2022 10:39 PM

Mar 2021
ReSeinen said:
This question is mostly for those who've watched up to 1000 or so anime, is there a moment where you don't remember having watched a single or multiple shows?

I joined MAL just last year but I been watching Anime since the 80s. Even though I don't keep an accurate record of everything I have ever watched before on MAL, I have certainly never forgotten any Anime I have ever watched before in my life and I am in my mid 40s now.

ReSeinen said:
Do you think it's ok to give a review years after watching a show without a rewatch?

Honestly I could care less about reviews because it's more enjoyable and satisfying to simply watch something either blindly or by only reading up on a titles synopsis. @Adampk said it best "Reviews are shit anyways".

In my opinion reviews spoil too much even when they are not specifically spoilers. Especially reviews on MAL that turn out looking like some essay, even when it's not just some long rant or praise.
ColourWheelMar 25, 2022 10:43 PM
Mar 25, 2022 10:56 PM

Dec 2012
I can recall the most details about things that like and, unfortunately, the things that really hated, whereas my brain erases all the information from mediocre things other than the fact that I've watched it and they were meh. Things that I really liked (7-10 scores) are easy to remember, probably helped along by the fact I probably bought them and have watched them more than once. Things that I hate (1-4) I can remember because of mental trauma.

As for reviewing stuff years after the fact based on memory seen through nostalgia glasses, I think it's a terrible idea. Just rewatch it and then write the review. I view reviews as pointlessly biased anyway, though so I wouldn't read any regardless.
KruszerMar 25, 2022 11:13 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 25, 2022 11:10 PM

Feb 2021
I can't even remember half the story of a show I finished like a week ago. For me a review would only work if I made it immediately after finishing the show
Mar 25, 2022 11:33 PM

Oct 2018
Nope, that's the main reason why I'm always re-watching some of my favourite anime, like Steins Gate 25 times
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Mar 26, 2022 12:53 AM

Mar 2021
No way. I forget most of the details what I which sometimes by the end of the day, if not earlier. That's part of why there are so many series I wanna rewatch.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Mar 26, 2022 12:53 AM
Aug 2021
I remember most of them like my fav anime.
Mar 26, 2022 12:57 AM

Jan 2020
At the minimum, I'm at least able to give a explanation of some very basic stuff that happened.

For series I liked, I remember a lot of it in perfect detail (like one piece, hunter x hunter, jojo)

Mar 26, 2022 1:11 AM

Sep 2008
I sure don't. I can kind of recall most what happened is a show usually but I suck at remembering names. I'd rewatch anything before making a review.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 26, 2022 1:12 AM

Mar 2021
I am fairly new so i can remember most of them. Not inlcuding sequels and etc I watched a total of approx 50 animes.
Mar 26, 2022 1:13 AM

May 2016
i have no brain, i can remember not //
Mar 26, 2022 1:15 AM

Sep 2020
Usually the more I like a show, the more things I remember about it.
Mar 26, 2022 1:23 AM

Apr 2017
The truth is that YES, you forget them. Usually animes that were a bit bad in terms of story, animation, etc. I end up forgetting them for clear reasons. But it's not that I forget completely, maybe I don't remember specific parts of the story, but I don't forget everything.

I may forget the name of the anime or its protagonists. Example if someone asks me. Did you see X character from X anime? At first I don't remember it but seeing a couple of images or the cover of the anime I end up remembering that I saw it and some parts of the story.

In general, I stick with important events such as the End or scenes that caught my attention. It usually affects me when an anime that hasn't had a sequel for a long time releases a new season/ova/movie etc. And of course I don't remember some things in the story I have to look at it again to pick up the thread again.
◍ TheAbsenceOfWords ◍
▧ What are you looking for? ▧ You Cannot scape from here! ⊙.◎
Here.. My.. Damaged ideals and never turn around!

Mar 26, 2022 1:38 AM

Apr 2020
If I'm really into the anime I can remember it, I don't watch much anyway so it's easy to remember.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Mar 26, 2022 1:39 AM

May 2015
The plot mostly fades away with time but the atmopshere remains. After having finished good shows I sometime make a point of contemplating on their scenes from time to time for days because that way they stuck with me for a longer time.
Mar 26, 2022 1:41 AM

Jul 2021
Fades away but at one point I can recall it
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Mar 26, 2022 1:54 AM

Feb 2020
Definitely not, but I can always re-watch any show I want.
Mar 26, 2022 8:37 AM

Aug 2020
I'll 100% remember whether I watched a show or not, though if it's been decades, I might not remember much of the premise and exact plot, I tend to remember it more in key scenes that stuck with me and how I felt about the anime as a whole (was I bored? amused? touched? etc.). The more I liked something, the more I'll remember it in great detail.

Reviews are something I only write in the days or at most weeks after finishing a series though, because that's when I feel strongest about it and still have everything perfectly in my mind. Ratings are different; because I ALWAYS vividly remember how a show made me feel, even if I don't remember the details of the plot anymore, so it's easy to rate it even after a long time has passed.
Mar 26, 2022 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
After watching hundreds of titles and thousand of episodes, I think it's very much impossible for a common person to remember every scene of every anime they watched. But like someone mentioned, that's why people use MAL so that they can keep a track of anime they've watched. It's very tough to even remember all the titles one has watched let alone remembering everything.

Talking about reviews, I don't have a different opinion from other people here. They are mostly long essays either praising or ranting a show. You can add some big terms from dictionary and make your review look like an objective evaluation by some verified official anime critic. You will get your fanbase, who will eat everything up you write. So without a rewatch, you can still write a review. Most people don't actually bother with them anyway.
Mar 26, 2022 9:22 AM

Jun 2017
Depends, some series i can recall every episode and name them, but most of the series on my mal i do remember at least the plot and details of the episodes.

There's only one series i have no memories of what it was about.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Mar 26, 2022 10:09 AM

Dec 2019
I have a horrible memory I hardly remember anything tbh but I see that as a good thing tbh since I can rewatch things and pretty much watch it blind again not 100% obviously but pretty close.

But there's defiantly things I will remember like the super big and impactful memorable moments
Mar 26, 2022 11:21 AM

Sep 2019
Just the stuff I really like, sometimes I'll go through my list and I'll just be like "WTF I already watched this?"
Mar 28, 2022 10:00 PM

Sep 2013
gods no, especially trashy ones i would binge when i first got into the medium

More topics from this board

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - May 9

99 by SgtBateMan »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime?

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

32 by KMIR »»
10 minutes ago

» List of anime to watch with friends

collarbone_cry - 2 hours ago

14 by Lhundrup »»
13 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 )

tappioca - Yesterday

82 by traed »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days?

anizawa89 - Yesterday

41 by JessicaKari »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.