Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2022 7:12 AM

Aug 2018
Well, I finally got to watch this movie. Its been so long since I last watched Free that I forgot a lot of things but it was still pretty nice to see something from Kyoto Animation again.
Feb 11, 2022 9:37 AM
Jul 2019
S0UVIK said:
Well, I finally got to watch this movie. Its been so long since I last watched Free that I forgot a lot of things but it was still pretty nice to see something from Kyoto Animation again.
what is the standard of animation in this movie? have any sakuga scenes?
Feb 11, 2022 10:39 AM

Aug 2018
GalacticSamurai said:
I thought it was pretty good. In a lot of scenes, the expressions of characters & subtle things like someone shaking their head to rinse off the water and stuff like that were very done very well. Most of swimming scenes also had pretty good animation.
Feb 12, 2022 12:49 PM
Jul 2019
S0UVIK said:
GalacticSamurai said:
I thought it was pretty good. In a lot of scenes, the expressions of characters & subtle things like someone shaking their head to rinse off the water and stuff like that were very done very well. Most of swimming scenes also had pretty good animation.
okk bud thanks for assuring the quality.
Feb 16, 2022 1:30 PM

Apr 2018
In the end, is Haru having panic/anxiety attack, or is he just way too obsessed with beating Albert?
Overall, I liked the movie, just Albert VA and Engrish in general were terrible.
“You are not alone, Ash. I am with you. My soul is with you.” - Eiji Okumura.
Feb 17, 2022 4:07 PM
Apr 2018
Masshiroi said:
In the end, is Haru having panic/anxiety attack, or is he just way too obsessed with beating Albert?
Overall, I liked the movie, just Albert VA and Engrish in general were terrible.

I think it's a combination of both. Haru wants to beat Albert but he also doesn't want to lose himself and be egoistic while he wants to become the best.
Albert is an amazing swimmer, but he is also only swimming to be the one and not for others while sacrificing parts of his life to only focus on swimming. this type of sacrifice is what haru's coach tried to explain when Haru got the urge to become greater. Therefore Haru faced the inner battle of aiming for the top while becoming more like Albert or keeping himself but not being able to get the win.
Realising that he would soon turn 20 without becoming more known as a genius swimmer plus the talk with Rin made his urge for number one take over and he made a decision.
This part of the movie was really frustrating since I knew we had to wait many months until the next part to see what development Haru gets while aiming for the top.
Feb 20, 2022 10:06 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Man, the whole movie, was a nostalgia trip. Goddamn, our boys have come so far, from Iwatobi to competing at the world stage!

Sadly, some of the drama was overbearing for me, as well as some other stuff such as that ridiculuous Panic attack or smth that Haru felt every time he thought about Albert. Too anime-ish for me.

6/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 10, 2022 12:57 PM

Oct 2009
cchigu said:
Man, the whole movie, was a nostalgia trip. Goddamn, our boys have come so far, from Iwatobi to competing at the world stage!

Sadly, some of the drama was overbearing for me, as well as some other stuff such as that ridiculuous Panic attack or smth that Haru felt every time he thought about Albert. Too anime-ish for me.

6/10

Why was it too anime-ish? If you've seen Haru's character development it's not too far out. All this time everybody admired him because he swam so Free but now he feels like when he finally got a goal, he feels like everything else around him is disappearing. Because he is also growing up. The crushing feeling of the realities of the world, of your friends also finding their own paths, of people like Albert. It's bound to hit Haru like a truck sooner or later and I guess here it is.
The culmination of his ideals vs the reality of the world.
Mar 11, 2022 11:57 AM
Oct 2020
HRinka said:
cchigu said:

6/10

Why was it too anime-ish? If you've seen Haru's character development it's not too far out. All this time everybody admired him because he swam so Free but now he feels like when he finally got a goal, he feels like everything else around him is disappearing. Because he is also growing up. The crushing feeling of the realities of the world, of your friends also finding their own paths, of people like Albert. It's bound to hit Haru like a truck sooner or later and I guess here it is.
The culmination of his ideals vs the reality of the world.
midnachan3 said:
Masshiroi said:

I think it's a combination of both. Haru wants to beat Albert but he also doesn't want to lose himself and be egoistic while he wants to become the best.
Albert is an amazing swimmer, but he is also only swimming to be the one and not for others while sacrificing parts of his life to only focus on swimming. this type of sacrifice is what haru's coach tried to explain when Haru got the urge to become greater. Therefore Haru faced the inner battle of aiming for the top while becoming more like Albert or keeping himself but not being able to get the win.
Realising that he would soon turn 20 without becoming more known as a genius swimmer plus the talk with Rin made his urge for number one take over and he made a decision.
This part of the movie was really frustrating since I knew we had to wait many months until the next part to see what development Haru gets while aiming for the top.

HRinka and midnachan3 +1+1 well explained.

I liked the movie in general. Was waiting for it for months. It was nice to see our boyz again and their cute friendship.^^ Looking forward to the final part; though I am sad at the same time cuz it will be the end of this lovely story. :(( Really love this series.

I wanted to see some characters' individual races more in detail tho. For instance when it is Albert's turn during the prelims and he is introduced in a very cool manner and then the second he dives into the water, the scene is just cut off and we continue with another scene and I was like what the...
It is a movie yes and of course it has a limited time so they can't show every characters swimming for minutes, but still it bothered me a bit.

Mar 13, 2022 12:55 AM

Oct 2009
cchigu said:

I wanted to see some characters' individual races more in detail tho. For instance when it is Albert's turn during the prelims and he is introduced in a very cool manner and then the second he dives into the water, the scene is just cut off and we continue with another scene and I was like what the...
It is a movie yes and of course it has a limited time so they can't show every characters swimming for minutes, but still it bothered me a bit.

Same here, I am too curious of Albert and why is he a monster. I guess they're trying not to show it so he can appear more intimidating but it's been a couple of years right so I am with you on that lol I hope they showed Albert's power at this movie. A part of me is afraid how this would end, especially since
Mar 29, 2022 8:45 PM

Aug 2015
damn did not expect the ending, almost forgot all the schools and character names cause its been so long lol, good part 1!
Apr 6, 2022 2:26 PM

Feb 2020
Well, as a movie, this was pretty much as good as High☆Speed! Movie: Free! Starting Days or Free! Take Your Marks.

Haru's panic attack at the end was a surprise. Maybe he's a little too obsessed with beating Albert.

Momo was owned by Steve. xD This scene was so hilarious, lol.

May 6, 2022 5:09 AM

Jul 2021
It's available on an online platform and Haru is giving me a sad boy moment in the end wtf. But still, overall, it's the usual refreshing outcome that I always feel welcome in this series. Looking forward to Part 2
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 13, 2022 10:58 PM

Jun 2021
Awww I love swimming (>ω<)(◕‿◕✿)
Jul 15, 2022 3:10 AM
May 2022
The movie is available on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xJK7TEg5Go
Jul 31, 2022 8:58 PM

May 2014
I will just put it here for notes, will go back to it once I re watch the whole series again and update it. The relationships between characters became confusing to me so...

Looking forward to the next movie. I wonder how long is the bluray going to be release after the movie came out from JP theatres?
violityAug 1, 2022 8:03 AM
Jan 6, 2023 4:25 PM
Feb 2010
violity said:
I will just put it here for notes, will go back to it once I re watch the whole series again and update it. The relationships between characters became confusing to me so...

Looking forward to the next movie. I wonder how long is the bluray going to be release after the movie came out from JP theatres?

Oh~ Thank you so much for these notes/summary 👌🏽💜, it really helped me reconnect my wires with this anime 😅
cause I watched the main series parts separately throughout the years, and in a very weird scattered way 🙈, with huge gabs in between each part of its sequels, so I forgot most of the relationships & was little lost between the characters while watching this movie.
Yet I enjoyed this 1st part nonetheless & looking forward to watching the second & final movie ☺️🍀.
Jan 20, 2023 5:01 PM

Feb 2019
It's incredible how much I can relate to all the anxiety and depression Haru is struggling with this entire franchise. That's why he's my favorite out of the whole cast.
I mean, it sure makes you feel very very lonely and left out when others tell you there dreams and future figured out when you're still haven't given a proper thought.

Apr 3, 2023 10:32 PM
Mar 2021
hello, does anyone know how do you watch the movie? i can't find it.
May 23, 2023 10:33 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
It was nice to see the first few minutes of the movie featuring some of the usual antics of the characters involved in the series, one of the strong areas of the series for sure. Fairly light hearted first half which was really enjoyable followed by the deeper and mature undertones in the second to open up a direction for the next movie to explore on. Definitely curious to see how Haru will get over the overwhelmed state that he is in now, and eventually work his way towards his end goal. 

Sousuke seems to be recovering well, which is nice to see. Hope to see him back in the competitions soon. I really wanted to know what Gou-san's plan for the future is too xD. Got to be something related to muscles, no? 

Looks like the main trio will be drifting apart, after all, by focusing on their respective styles. At least this leaves an international medley team sometime down the line up for possibility, right? Sounds like a good deal to me. On a serious note though, this leaves Haru with an additional burden to work out. Seeing his inner self helpless while his dark self went at it all guns blazing on Rin was tough to watch... 
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 15, 2023 4:29 AM

Jul 2015
Nice movie and to see the lads now having reached the world stage although sad that at the end Haru so anxious and scared of Albert making me miss the old carefree Haru who just and only wants to swim Free.

Oct 29, 2023 6:35 AM
Jul 2015
Bro not the ending bro got hypnotized like ghost entering him and we reached bad ending of haru abandoning all his bfs friends to be stonger in swimming 🤣
Jan 4, 4:34 PM

Sep 2017
Lmao the voice director really decided that was the perfect english voice for Albert? Lmao they gotta get some better ppl on board if they wanna get fluent enlgish speakers doing voice work.

Any Haru being a dick for the final movie it seems but hey Rin is the goat and is working on himself like a gigachad.

More topics from this board

» Now available on Amazon Prime Video!

JohanJ04 - May 7, 2023

2 by w3learner »»
May 22, 2023 5:10 AM

» First 10 Minutes Streamed

S0UVIK - Oct 2, 2021

9 by Calia_Archer »»
Jan 25, 2022 10:45 AM

» Why does Anilist has this with the "spoiler tags" Boys' Love and LGBT?! Who came out?

Rojaseb - Jan 10, 2022

5 by Mirai »»
Jan 10, 2022 11:48 AM

» Does anyone know when this is going to come out in American theaters?

AspynLovesSushi - Sep 21, 2021

0 by AspynLovesSushi »»
Sep 21, 2021 3:25 AM

» Release dates for theaters in LATAM

JohanJ04 - Sep 20, 2021

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Sep 20, 2021 10:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.