Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 13, 2010 10:34 AM

Jun 2007
Great episode!

Even though he stands against Luffy, you can't help but feel sorry for Hanyabal. Despite his craziness and wish to become the Warden, he really cares about his job and the importance it represents. A good 90% of the people down there deserve to be locked up. He made a valiant stance but alas it's just no good when you're going up against a pissed off Luffy. They could have easily stretched this part out the entire episode, but we also got the beginning of Blackbeard's confrontation. Awesome stuff and great pacing if you ask me. They even found some time to give buggy and Mister 3 some screentime (ok even more screentime, but there are people out there who enjoy that so good for them) It's not like they took over the entire episode.
Apr 13, 2010 12:47 PM

Apr 2009
^i personally enjoy every scene with buggy..
and i didnt know they were fillers XDDDDDDD
Apr 13, 2010 8:22 PM

May 2009
blackbeard ftw..
Apr 14, 2010 1:55 PM

Mar 2010
Cool episode! Buggy is so funny during this and the next arc :D
Apr 15, 2010 9:23 AM

Jan 2008
ninkendo said:
we need more of that filler female pirate from the 20 year flashback <3

I agree. She was cute. I wouldn't mind seeing more of her either.

And I loved how they ended. SMASH!
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Apr 15, 2010 11:42 AM

Oct 2007
lolspoilers.

Man, I wonder if next episode will reach

I definiately feel you guys when you say it seems to lack impact lately... i especially noticed this when Sadi was whipping people last episode, it looked epic... but there was no sound behind it, not even a whip noise =/ Let's hope it improves once they get out of impel down... cause if they downplay the next arc like they did here... yeah, lets hope not.
Apr 26, 2010 3:45 AM

May 2008
well well things are looking pretty intersting

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 26, 2010 4:47 AM

Oct 2008
Ahhhhh, a fight between Luffy and Blackbeard. :3

Should be exciting.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 1, 2010 10:27 PM
Nov 2009
LUFFY!!!

Will he be alright? D:

Gosh, that is what Blackbeard richly deserved. Have you ever encountered anyone who more deserving of a punch in the face?

May 27, 2010 7:08 AM

Feb 2009
Luffy and Blackbeard meet gaina finally! The One Piece history and world are so huge that some events take hundreds of episodes to tie all the loose ends!
Jun 17, 2010 7:18 AM

Jun 2008
Oh god, that made me dislike Blackbeard even more...
Aug 26, 2010 9:13 PM

Jun 2010
See as much as I hate Blackbeard he does show he has a more conscience mind, his whole good and evil rant plus remember his dreams speech, he is a villain but he is also after the same dream all the major characters are.
Dec 25, 2010 10:14 AM

Oct 2009
I feel sorry for Hannyabal :(
And hell yeah! Luffy is pissed now! >:}
Man...One Piece is too good :S
ninkendo said:

That we do~ :3
May 13, 2011 4:52 PM

Jul 2007
Oh man this is the moment i have been waiting for. Finally luffy confronts Blackbeard.

Hanyybal was rather weak. Luffy stomped that guy hard. Though i have to admire him for getting up so many times even after taking so many beatings. It really makes me wonder how Impel down is a prison for the most vicious criminals in the world. I wonder if this is a prison for just the first half of the grand line. I bet there is a prison specifically designs to house some of the more dangerous and powerful pirates of the new world. Cause honestly seeing enimes like Sadi and Hannybal, and all those weak guards, like the dogs, the bluiburi's who don't come off as that dangerous to me in the least.

Yet there supposed to protect the entire prison which is supposedly supposed to house the largest big shot pirates in the world? Yeah right!!

The only one that even looks remotly strong enough to take on some of these pirates is Magellen. But thats just one guy.

I mean imagine if like Kuma, Sentomaru or Rayliegh was locked up in there lol. you think they would be able to handle legendary people like that, FUCK NO!!

So thats why im saying, there probably is another prison out there in the new world that is designed for the big shots.
ArtimesGamerMay 13, 2011 5:01 PM

Aug 3, 2011 9:26 PM

May 2010
Hannyabel was a great supporting character! Even thought he was fighting on the good side.. his character background and development throughout the arc makes him so lovable! I really hope he becomes a Warden in the future! Next fight should be great! But I feel it'll be just a teaser.. I think its just too early for Luffy to fight all-out with Blackbeard.. I'm still waiting for the Magellan rematch! hehe But aside from that.. I'm still at a lost as to what happened to Shinryu and Blackbeard's motive in Impel Down.. :-D
Aug 7, 2011 8:44 AM

Aug 2010
ninkendo said:
Oct 16, 2011 8:37 AM

Oct 2011
Wow the vice warden is a complete failure, why'd they have to make a big deal out of trash... and make luffy's 2nd gear look weak. Fail... the only goods part was the green haired girl pirate and luffy's punch at the end.
Oct 24, 2011 7:07 PM

Jul 2010
he really shouldnt be wasting his time there. and he even wasted his time being on second gear on this loser. GET TO ACE LUFFY!!

Feb 4, 2012 8:37 PM

Jan 2012
ahhhh i'm worried for luffy, he doesn't have time to confront somebody like blackbeard

also hannyabel's speech made me feel bad for him and magellan. i keep forgetting that they're not villains, really - just obstacles to luffy's goals. the fact that all these convicts have been released is terrible for civilians and it's true that the world needs impel down.
Jul 7, 2012 3:42 AM

Jan 2012
Would appear Luffy had no problem remembering have met Blackbeard. This should make for an interesting fight.
Nov 23, 2012 1:40 PM

Mar 2010
Hm I'm still wondering what blackbeard is doing..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 12, 2013 4:30 PM

May 2010
Belgian_Waffles said:
The best part of this episode is that someone had to come up with the idea that Buggy and the gang should just be peeing for, like, 5 minutes, and then someone hearing that had to go "Yes, that''s a great idea! Let's do that!"

Yeah what even the hell was up with that? Why did he have sparkles around him when it was happening?
Feb 1, 2014 3:29 PM

Dec 2012
I definitely didn't expect a fight with Blackbeard to come so soon.... I mean Luffy can't defeat him. Not at least now...
Oct 8, 2014 12:39 AM

Jan 2014
And a nice punch to round off the episode.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 21, 2014 11:23 AM

Oct 2013
Hmm..why da fuq did Blackbeard show up??

Jun 14, 2015 11:54 PM

Jun 2015
Dayum that punch
Apr 4, 2016 5:03 PM

May 2013
I mean... there's justice on both sides. Both The Navy and The Pirates, as well as corruption on either ends of the spectrum :3

So I can see where the Assistant Warden is coming from, but Luffy just wants to save his aniki Ace.
Jul 27, 2016 8:06 AM

Mar 2015
Nice to see Hannyabal put up a fight

And awesome to see Luffy land a punch on Blackbeard! Dunno if he'll ever get that kind of chance again though
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 2, 2016 3:06 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
JusticeGundam said:
ninkendo said:
This, I approve of. Plus, I never knew Magellan was a vice warden 20 years ago.

Watching Buggy and the rest of the prisoners pee for a minute, no.

Nooo, this was sooooo funny .... really ... couldn't stop laughing ... *sarcasm off*

Jan 18, 2017 8:35 PM
Jul 2018
I get the feeling Luffy made a big mistake by attacking Blackbeard. He won't die (obviously), but I doubt he'll defeat Blackbeard at this point in time.
Mar 22, 2019 6:50 AM

Jun 2016
So, I admit this arc has gotten weak in the recent episodes due to so little happening when, imo, this is supposed to be frantic and chaotic. Yet this episode felt substantial, frantic, meaningful, and even moving. It's the kind of thing I'd expect all these episodes since they reached level 6 to be like and it was so good. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Firstly, I didn't expect Hannyabal to pull an Usopp. Being clearly weaker than his foes but still fighting against them with his all, even grabbing their feet as they walk by his trampled body. I take it he's like Magellan, both have a more eccentric silly side but both take their job really seriously when it gets down to it. Maybe the fact that when push comes to shove Hannyabal will die for his job is what allowed such an otherwise untrustworthy guy to get into the position he's in, he definitely has a long past with Magellan too, as a mentor figure to him, so I’m starting to see their relationship as a little bit more brotherly. And we got teased to his true skill when he showed he could defeat Buggy and Mr. 3 off screen so it's not a huge shock. If anything I think it continues to show that Magellan and Hannyabal are pretty good people, much more so Magellan, but we have admirable characteristics in both. They truly believe they are doing their best for the good of the innocent people in the world. I found Hannyabal’s line quite moving actually, when he took Luffy wanting to save his brother as a joke, it was like he was saying, "you want to save your brother while releasing all of these people into the world which will take away other peoples loved ones", also referring to Luffy as such. In other words, ‘you’re willing to save your brother and sacrifice many other peoples brothers to do so’? And, he has a point. Luffy is freeing Crocodile of all people and nearly everyone whose imprisoned. And although the World Government is corrupt it doesn't mean they don't do any good at all.. They have this problematic 'ends justify the means' outlook but they still keep most of the Crocodiles of the world off the streets. The problem is that their own authority figures often end up being as bad as the worst of the pirates. So, I don't think Magellan and Hannyabal are all in the wrong and I think they believe and are actually doing some serious 'good'.

Sure, the means of torturing these pirates when many aren't that bad or are even good people is awful, like that one vice admiral kept mentioning. Further, Magellan is cruel and able to kill these people like they're nothing, and I recall Hannyabal enjoying their screams, but I would argue that it's because of the lie they believe that 'all pirates are bad, and all navy are good'. They believe they're on the right side and they don't doubt that at all allowing for such horrible practices to be done. So, deep down I think they are both men willing to fight for what they think is real justice and preserving the peace and I thought it was cool that it showed that for both of them. I especially thought it was cool that you can even imagine Hannyabal here as an Usopp protecting the innocent he cares about from the invading and far stronger pirates. It’s something I didn’t expect, to develop the diarrhea having warden and the Buggy-esque Hannyabal to such strong and layered characters is something somewhat subversive actually. But, like Oda does best, he can introduce many characters on the basis of gimmicks and give them an unexpected depth that actually defines who they are as you get to know them better.

This all makes Blackbeard's appearance quite interesting as it was as if the talk about righteousness and good and evil annoyed him to the point of crushing Hannyabal under his heel. He mocked him and said no matter where you look you won't find an answer to that discussion. I definitely do see a parrel in Teach and Luffy, both have an undying and romanticized ambition about becoming the pirate king and both have a small but well defined and strong crew under them. But, Luffy has a strong sense of personal morality and code, essentially what he was taught by Shanks, and Blackbeard knows no limits, he will kill and ruin the world to get what he wants, at least from what we know about him. That said, Luffy is a good person because he wants to be one and he doesn't like the people he thinks go against that, it's not like he's ever said in his entire life he's fighting for 'justice' or ‘the good’. Luffy is fighting for himself, his personal values, and his nakama, but those things mostly align to what we would consider ‘good’ behavior even if it’s more so a side effect. So I find their contrast interesting and I wanna know more about Blackbeard as we go on!

As for the Blackbeard confrontation, that was crazy awesome. I was wondering if Luffy would recall who Teach was and he did. I suppose he and Zoro were wary of him when they met him after Bellamy beat them up so it isn’t that shocking. But when he linked Teach to Blackbeard and realized what that meant, that he was the man responsible for this, he was the man who took down Ace to become a warlord, that's when it got really powerful. Just look at that face Luffy made, it has to be one of my favorites in the series.
It's such a shocking realization on his face which quickly turned to rage. "You're Blackbeard?", and then as if to sadistically mock Luffy, Blackbeard tells him the story about how Ace took his place, he should be thankful that Ace is dying in his place, that he's lucky, and primarily because it wasn't him it was Ace who died, in a way blaming him for Ace's death. And for Teach's personal gain of becoming a warlord on his step to becoming the pirate king. So in that rage Luffy offers him a chance, "THEN WHY DON'T YOU TRY AND KILL ME NOW?!", before jet pistoling him in a heartbeat. OH MY GOSH!!! That was such a great cliffhanger, the final still it ended on was so beautiful, and Luffy's shock and absolute rage when realizing who he was against, before snapping at him being blamed for Ace's death was just... chilling, especially for where it will lead next..

LIKE, ARE WE GOING TO START A GANG BATTLE BETWEEN JIMBEI, CROC, IVAN, INAZUMA, AND LUFFY VS BLACKBEARD'S GANG?! And if we do I suppose Magellan will end up interrupting it. Plus we still don't know what's happening with Shiryu.. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wanted revenge on Magellan too. And further, we don't even know what Blackbeard’s doing here !!!! This is the frantic chaos I want from Impel Downs conclusion, my gosh!

P.S. ...I liked the peeing scene. I thought it was funny that Buggy went to pee as to cling to his reputation and how afterwards he said it was part of the plan and Mr.3 was all "uhhhhhh even I don't believe that".
Aug 21, 2020 5:41 PM

May 2020
Ugh more filler... Also Hannyabal finally cares about his job!

But still it got a lot better when Black Beard showed up. Black Beard's crew looks pretty cool, I look forward to seeing them in action.
Aug 27, 2020 1:24 PM

May 2016
Even though Hannyabal's the enemy, his dedication towards his work and keeping the peace no matter what is admirable and surprisingly especially since it seemed that he was the sort to not give a crap about those things. As corrupt as the World Government is, they do have a point about a big percentage of pirates doing a lot more harm than good. Too bad Blackbeard stole the spotlight from him entirely though!

Luffy attacked Blackbeard without the slightest hesitation and damn, it' gonna be a good one!

Sep 24, 2020 6:56 AM

Dec 2007
the fight agains hanyabal could have been more interesting if he had more to offer / more powerfull.

the peeing scene were disturbing ><

the next battle against blackbeard should be interesting.
Jan 26, 2021 9:24 PM
Oct 2019
Luffy is still too weak infront of Blackbeard... One day i hope he will beat the ass of blackbeard!! I hope i will live to see it
May 28, 2021 11:35 AM

Jun 2019
The emotions are at their peak right now for Luffy.
Aug 12, 2021 7:48 AM

Aug 2021
Gomu gomu no Jet Piiiiisssstttttttooooooollllllllll
Apr 2, 2022 12:53 AM

Dec 2012
Man, Blackbeard is easily one of the most diabolic characters right there with Crocodile. It's still hard to figure him out, but it's clear that he acts freely according to his ambitions & whims.
Aug 13, 2022 5:35 PM

Dec 2018
this has gone on for far too long
Feb 11, 2023 4:58 PM
Feb 2022
Se viene el primer enfrentamiento oficial de Luffy y Barba Negra. Hanybal es un gran vice jefe.
Jun 14, 2023 12:18 AM
Oct 2019
Hannyabal actually believe in justice. I kinda respect him now.

Oh boy Kurohige vs Luffy incoming!!
Jul 8, 2023 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
Seeing Hannyabal’s resolve adds more depth to his character and he isn’t even that important. It’s the little things that count and I like when the story shows even the less relevant character’s motivations, although Hannyabal is one of the few characters that I find uninteresting in One Piece. Before his motivation came to light he was just a guy with the same recycled jokes.

I love Black Beards character, unlike other adversaries Luffy faces Black Beard has a prominent weakness. This grounds himself as someone who can be beaten but yet has overwhelming power which is quite hard to pull off.
Nov 16, 2023 1:24 AM

Mar 2017
I’m surprised Hannyabal was as strong as he was.. he comes across as weak and cowardly. It was frustrating seeing Luffy have to use 2nd gear on him and spend so much time fighting. But I did like the speech Hannyabal gave about the importance of Impel Down. Just because he’s an antagonist against our main character doesn’t make him a bad person.. and certainly not a villain.

Can’t believe Blackbeard and Luffy are facing off already?? Surely Luffy is nowhere near strong enough to face Marshall D Teach?
Nov 25, 2023 5:12 PM
Jan 2017
this episode is okay! :P
Nov 28, 2023 5:23 PM
Jan 2021
o barba negra contando do ace q vontade de chorar
Jan 9, 12:32 AM

Dec 2022
One of the better episodes we've had. A lot of action hopefully a epic battle next episode! This arc is slow but it has its moments

Jan 28, 5:37 AM

Oct 2019
I wonder how Blackbeard's and Luffy's fight is gonna go >.<
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1015 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 23, 2022

476 by kappaisnew »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

54 by LadyLeeMing »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 219 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaito__Kid - Nov 17, 2009

60 by X1ma »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1011 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 19, 2022

58 by Marcos-1 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 411 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Aug 2, 2009

79 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.