Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Is there something about this show that makes it unappealing to many people or something?

Police in a Pod
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 12, 2022 9:36 AM
Sep 2021
From the first 2 episodes the show looks fine to me so far, though it seems to be overlooked by many and even the score seems quite low (imo). Is there something about it that many others don't like?
PotatoPower97Jan 12, 2022 11:20 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 12, 2022 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
Probably the BLM movement
Jan 12, 2022 9:48 AM
Oct 2020
Maybe people write it off as a police show. I also heard the promo wasn’t very interesting. I like the show from the first episode. Not sure if it will get any better, but it’s pretty funny and chill so far.
Jan 12, 2022 9:49 AM
Mar 2021
Shows that focus on mostly SoL stuff with no romance tend to be pretty niche.
Jan 12, 2022 12:11 PM

Jul 2015
Thanks to media desperately cherrypicking cases of police behaving badly, police reputation overall is in the gutter. "F the police!" position is socially acceptable, so obviously this show is going to take a hit as well, especially since police is not cartoonishly evil here.

Jan 12, 2022 12:24 PM
Dec 2019
Piromysl said:
Thanks to media desperately cherrypicking cases of police behaving badly, police reputation overall is in the gutter. "F the police!" position is socially acceptable, so obviously this show is going to take a hit as well, especially since police is not cartoonishly evil here.

Yeah like this article which basically assumes that all police systems are inherently negative.
https://www.animefeminist.com/police-in-a-pod-episode-1/

MAYBE this show will lean too much into propaganda but it doesn't look that way to me and I hope not.
Jan 12, 2022 12:27 PM
Sep 2021
Well anime.fem web literally said the show is a police propaganda and that they won't watch it, because they think ACAB is a good movement so F*** the cops amirite šŸ„“šŸ„“šŸ„“

( Which is hilarious because shows like Psycho pass are popular and basically have the same thing lol )

Anyway that's not why people don't like it, most SOL/Romcom Don't get many attention unless it's something popular like komi-san or controversial like nagatoro or uzaki-chan, they're not bad but they're not as interesting to the public eye as shounen for example

Especially since a SOL show that focuses on cops is a very niche idea
Jan 12, 2022 12:29 PM

Jul 2015
Recynon said:
Piromysl said:

Yeah like this article which basically assumes that all police systems are inherently negative.

MAYBE this show will lean too much into propaganda but it doesn't look that way to me and I hope not.

"Anime feminist"
I expect nothing less from that site. And definetely nothing more. It's beyond obvious, that author already had forged opinion before she even watched the show, because she hates police, so anything putting police in good light is a HUGE no-no. It screams confirmation bias.

Jan 12, 2022 1:10 PM
Feb 2021
It’s a slice of life show focusing not just on cops, but female cops. Of course it’s going to be overlooked. It’s also aimed at an older demographic with the “seinen” tag and some heavier subject matter, though presented through a lens of comedy.

I personally like it a lot and think it’s a hidden gem. It reminds me a bit of the Korean drama “Live” just slightly more leaning on the comedy side of things.
Jan 12, 2022 1:41 PM
Jun 2020
probably bc braindeads who think acab will not watch it / hate the show, i mean rn it’s a nice little show so idk tbh
Jan 12, 2022 2:18 PM
Aug 2020
So far this has been one of the better shows this season, I’d wish more people would give it a chance even though i understand it doesn’t have the most mainstream appeal
Jan 12, 2022 2:18 PM
Aug 2020
So far this has been one of the better shows this season, I’d wish more people would give it a chance even though i understand it doesn’t have the most mainstream appeal
Jan 12, 2022 2:22 PM
Mar 2018
Piromysl said:

Yeah also i wonder who those people call of danger...
Jan 12, 2022 3:54 PM

Oct 2017
ACAB and the second the world isn't in black and white polarised thinking, they go crazy. Ya love to see it.
Even more confirmation police are just punching bags. They're used to it, I doubt they take negative things people say about them personally when the insults themselves come from offenders in the first place.
Those people are pretty shallow-minded. Most criminals will play the victim, and these people suck it up and take it at face value.
Jan 12, 2022 3:58 PM
Jul 2018
Recynon said:
Piromysl said:

it ain't wrong. Author said she made it so that more youth join the force.
Jan 12, 2022 4:25 PM
Dec 2019
anirudhtsuki said:
Recynon said:

That's not the main point in dispute, but while I haven't read the manga, I would say that getting people to join the police is not necessarily the same as portraying every aspect of the police system as positive. If it does that, instead of limiting its scope to the struggles of two particular police officers, then yeah, the show starts to get distasteful. But I have an issue with the reviewer's blatant, extreme views on the entire institution of policing globally, not just in America, not just condemning the people in the police system, not just condemning bad practices in the police system, but going as far as to say the very institution of policing is inherently evil and that ALL COPS ARE BAD.

EDIT: Upon thinking about it some more, I realize the issue is more nuanced than I first thought. Because if this was a show portraying two members of a political party or particular government or religion, I'd call it propaganda and walk away too. I think the distinction is that unlike those things, policing as an institution is not defined by a particular slant in ideology, other than the idea that society needs law enforcement in order for the laws to work. The specific structure, rules, and attitudes of police vary from country to country and from station to station. Say this show was successful at being propaganda for the police. What is the viewer convinced of? That the police are good people with good intentions. So far, that is. I guess the argument would be that even though it doesn't seem like the show is trying to reinforce/justify certain objectionable behaviors and tactics, simply portraying two police officers in a positive light makes the viewer more likely to condone and sympathize with any objectionable police behavior in real life. But I think the difference is that policing as an institution is broad enough to be neutral as well as objectively necessary; saying that a show portraying police officers in a positive light is propaganda is like saying Dead Poet Society is propaganda for teachers or House is propaganda for doctors. I suppose to a degree, portraying any profession in a strictly positive light can be labeled as propaganda because it predisposes you to think positively of people doing that profession, but practically speaking it'd be relatively harmless "propaganda" compared to how we generally think of propaganda, like a movie promoting a certain country's government so that people will listen to what the government says. There's something not right about saying Rush Hour or Brooklyn 99 is automatically bad because it's copaganda, even within the context of the political climate in the USA right now. As I said, I think this show would be more problematic if it tries to justify more specific police practices, like say, using unsavory tactics to get confessions out of criminals.

But I'd appreciate anyone's input on this for why they think the show is problematic.
RecynonJan 12, 2022 5:25 PM
Jan 12, 2022 4:38 PM

Dec 2019
It aint Brooklyn Nine-Nine-like probably? Idk.
Jan 12, 2022 4:48 PM
Feb 2018
Mal ppl rarely watch plothole-free anime like this hahaha
Jan 12, 2022 5:06 PM

May 2015
I love it, out of what I've watched this season its definitely one of the better shows
Jan 13, 2022 6:32 AM
Aug 2021
The show is amazing,but the sheer amount of sexism in it both Male and female is a lot.....I think that's why people find it unappealing...episode 2 proves it
Jan 13, 2022 8:43 AM
Nov 2021
PotatoPower97 said:
From the first 2 episodes the show looks fine to me so far, though it seems to be overlooked by many and even the score seems quite low (imo). Is there something about it that many others don't like?

It just wasn't heavily promoted and at first glance seems like a nothing show that would appeal to a mass amount of people. I also don't understand these forum questions. I see the "how come not alot of people are watching this show" question on these forums. Like who cares how many people are watching it? As long as you are watching it and enjoy it then seriously who cares who else does? Heike Monogatari was the second best anime of the year last year to me. And only like me and ten other people watched it. But I can care less lol who cares how many people watched what.
Jan 13, 2022 9:54 AM
Jan 2022
anirudhtsuki said:

Doesn't mean that it cannot be an entertaining show and also nothing inherently wrong with this.
Jan 13, 2022 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
durask said:
anirudhtsuki said:

Doesn't mean that it cannot be an entertaining show and also nothing inherently wrong with this.
i never said it's bad.
Jan 13, 2022 4:42 PM

May 2015
Recynon said:
Piromysl said:

Anyone who forms their opinions based on whay those idiots have to say, doesn't need to be watching anime to begin with
Jan 13, 2022 8:51 PM
Tatakae
Feb 2020
Idk I’m enjoying it from the 1st episode and actually made me laugh which is rare. I was also surprised when I saw the rating.
Jan 13, 2022 9:09 PM

Aug 2020
I don't think it's unappealing, it just isn't that appealing. It's a bit different looking than other slice of life shows and I think people would rather play it safe and watch other seasonals.

怌 š•‚š•–š•Ŗ š•„š•™š•’š•„ š•™š•šš••š•–š•¤ š•„š•™š•– š•—š• š•£š•”š•–š•¤ š• š•— š••š•’š•£š•œš•Ÿš•–š•¤š•¤, š•¤š•™š• š•Ø š•žš•– š•Ŗš• š•¦š•£ š•„š•£š•¦š•– š•—š• š•£š•ž 怍

Jan 14, 2022 2:59 PM

Jun 2019
valkyrineX20 said:
The show is amazing,but the sheer amount of sexism in it both Male and female is a lot.....I think that's why people find it unappealing...episode 2 proves it

That's sexism of the characters, not sexism of the story or the author, director, etc. I don't see why something like sexism would be less appealing to depict than assault or murder, which is highly prevalent in series with the highest scores...
Jan 14, 2022 3:02 PM
Aug 2021
WatchTillTandava said:
valkyrineX20 said:

That's sexism of the characters, not sexism of the story or the author, director, etc. I don't see why something like sexism would be less appealing to depict than assault or murder, which is highly prevalent in series with the highest scores...
there is a lot of assault in the show.....personally I don't care....but it seems a lot of people have a range of problems with the show
Jan 14, 2022 3:25 PM

Jun 2019
valkyrineX20 said:
there is a lot of assault in the show.....personally I don't care....but it seems a lot of people have a range of problems with the show

People are behaving in a very petty fashion if they're poorly rating a series (nevermind it being an ongoing series two episodes in - that's another issue since I don't rate anything until completion but know people act differently on this) because of the actions of its characters. I just don't get why people can't separate the depiction of the words or actions of its characters to somehow being something the series is endorsing or celebrating. It's like saying a show about serial killers is endorsing serial killing and if you oppose serial killers, you should lower its rating. It seems like a very illogical and basic emotional reaction with no thought behind it and is a real shame for the artistic creators of the series.
Jan 14, 2022 4:31 PM

Jun 2019
MAL shows western rating. I don't give too much attention to western preference.
Jan 14, 2022 9:18 PM
Feb 2015
Maybe it reminds people of reality (many use anime for escapism ) . it such a nice one though
Jan 15, 2022 7:33 AM
Sep 2013
People are not overlooking the show. The show is very boring, tries very hard to be funny (though a few parts are kinda funny) or people are just not interested in it. Then there are influences from content creator and no one is talking about it. The characters themselves are not even interesting either, the show isn't very appealing or unappealing.

When I initially watched episode 1, it wasnt funny at all but I kept watching. Eventually the humour grew on me and some things started being funny. That being said, episode 2 got quite serious.

I haven't read the source materially either but if the issues gets more and more serious my rating for the anime might increase.

That being said, people are talking about Black Live Matter and sexism. It's not that serious, it's a japanese cartoon first and foremost, this wasn't the intention and I'm not sure what people perception of the show is. To me it's another generic show, only difference is that it doesn't try to be something it's not.

Now in terms of rating, people rate anime for different things on this site and the characters in a show can have a lot of influence or impact on how good or bad a show is. For example, people didn't like Tokyo Revengers because of Takimichi or Mushouku Tensei because of Rudeus so automatically they gave it a lower score. Some people learnt to seperate real life from fiction and I think that's for the best.
Jan 15, 2022 5:01 PM

Dec 2013
MonkeyDnatsu said:
People are not overlooking the show. The show is very boring, tries very hard to be funny (though a few parts are kinda funny) or people are just not interested in it. Then there are influences from content creator and no one is talking about it. The characters themselves are not even interesting either, the show isn't very appealing or unappealing.

When I initially watched episode 1, it wasnt funny at all but I kept watching. Eventually the humour grew on me and some things started being funny. That being said, episode 2 got quite serious.

I haven't read the source materially either but if the issues gets more and more serious my rating for the anime might increase.

That being said, people are talking about Black Live Matter and sexism. It's not that serious, it's a japanese cartoon first and foremost, this wasn't the intention and I'm not sure what people perception of the show is. To me it's another generic show, only difference is that it doesn't try to be something it's not.

Now in terms of rating, people rate anime for different things on this site and the characters in a show can have a lot of influence or impact on how good or bad a show is. For example, people didn't like Tokyo Revengers because of Takimichi or Mushouku Tensei because of Rudeus so automatically they gave it a lower score. Some people learnt to seperate real life from fiction and I think that's for the best.

Pretty much this. It's just a very bland show that misses a lot in the humour department. I'm mildly disappointed because I thought the premise and artstyle at least stood out, but there otherwise isn't a lot to write home about with Hakozume
Jan 15, 2022 10:36 PM
May 2019
Id say it's the studio madhouse use to make amazing shows like death parade, black lagoon, a place further then the universe, and rainbow. Then they took a hiatus due to company restructuring and the Pandemic and now their shows are just meh
Jan 16, 2022 3:25 AM

May 2009
Obviously burgerland's sjw, antifa and commies hate police as a whole.
Jpl79 said:
Id say it's the studio madhouse use to make amazing shows like death parade, black lagoon, a place further then the universe, and rainbow. Then they took a hiatus due to company restructuring and the Pandemic and now their shows are just meh

Their shows were mostly meh for many years now.
Jan 16, 2022 7:42 AM
Apr 2019
This is my favorite show of the season so far. It's a 10/10 from me.
Jan 16, 2022 1:37 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Police bad so this anime automatically copaganda and bad is pretty much the mentality of some people.

But even if you don't care about that aspect, the anime just overall feels cheap so that doesn't help too.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 17, 2022 1:19 PM
Jan 2019
I don't know what most people are talking about in this thread, But I'm really enjoying this show...it's a gag show so it doesn't really need that much animation. And I personally find it really funny.
Jan 17, 2022 2:03 PM

Jun 2021
I think most of them (viewers) are thinking that this is average seasonal garbage. Story sucks, characters sucks, animation sucks compared with Aot, Ds, Vanitas and other great shows..

But it's good, I'm really enjoying it
Everything is Garbage
except LoGH
Jan 17, 2022 3:00 PM

Apr 2012
Aside from the usual blm and sjw nonsense going around uncontrollably...
Could this show be struggling because it's trying to succeed under the shadow of an established police anime You're Under Arrest? It's unavoidable to make comparisons quite frankly.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 17, 2022 4:43 PM

Oct 2009
The first episode was a rather mundane low key affair that whilst not bad definitely had a empty taxi feeling to it that could leave people wondering what this anime represents. If it was more action packed and had the usual crazy police story (like Dominion Tank Police) which was supported with fanservice then I would expect Police in a Pod to score higher.

As it is the story is not setting any fireworks alight and this being an unusual genre to boot it just won't attract as many eyeballs. I also think the themes of domestic violence possible rape and female discrimination introduced in episode two will not enamour plenty of fans and I could even see some even downrating for being too woke.
Jan 17, 2022 6:50 PM
Jan 2021
bastek66 said:
Obviously burgerland's sjw, antifa and commies hate police as a whole.
Jpl79 said:

Their shows were mostly meh for many years now.
True, they do not care about story anymore as long as their animes are profitable, they will go for it. But maybe one day, they will announce something big. Sonny Boy (2021) was great though.
Mar 3, 2022 7:00 PM
Apr 2018
This show is really funny to me. Maybe a lot of people don’t get it
Mar 9, 2022 10:36 PM
Jan 2017
well, since mal mods would lock threads that attempt to discuss why a show is "criminally underrated" because it "questions the rating", guess we'll never know now, will we xD
Mar 10, 2022 8:58 AM

Jul 2019
I know the police and cops are not like this in real life, specially here in Argentina, but this is fiction, it's an enjoyable show
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Mar 10, 2022 11:48 AM
Feb 2014
Lloydmras said:
Probably the BLM movement

Wtf. Don’t put BLM into this
Mar 13, 2022 9:27 AM
Apr 2020
PotatoPower97 said:
From the first 2 episodes the show looks fine to me so far, though it seems to be overlooked by many and even the score seems quite low (imo).

With a show as niche as this, it usually just means that there isn't a lot of source readers backing it.
Mar 14, 2022 2:52 PM
Apr 2012
The main character being bad at her job, heavily disliking it, and with seemingly no intention of getting better at it makes it quite unappealing to me. Sometimes even pisses me off on more serious cases.
Mar 16, 2022 8:04 AM

Sep 2018
The anime femnazi used to post on here but got roundly ridiculed.

She leads a sad life and cannot enjoy anything.

I liked the live action much better, it didn't have any of the heavy parts the anime has. It is much funnier, especially the photofit drawings she does. They are so bad but everyone recognises who the bad guy is instantly.

The shows message is everyone has their place, even if they don't think that's the case. Kawai is a people person and good at calming people down while the mountain gorilla is the exact opposite, yet they do the same job.
Apr 5, 2022 1:10 PM
May 2017
Highly chance they are hate police just like me and people i know who get milked in any form that need them, if not because of refreshing art and theme i won't give a sh*t
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hakozume: Kouban Joshi no Gyakushuu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2022

37 by Nnightwing »»
Aug 30, 2023 10:50 AM

Poll: » Hakozume: Kouban Joshi no Gyakushuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2022

124 by RinCuk »»
May 26, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Hakozume: Kouban Joshi no Gyakushuu Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2022

45 by imjayhime »»
Apr 15, 2023 8:21 PM

Poll: » Hakozume: Kouban Joshi no Gyakushuu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2022

37 by Assassin2112 »»
Feb 24, 2023 7:14 PM

Poll: » Hakozume: Kouban Joshi no Gyakushuu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2022

39 by _kukiyomenai »»
Dec 24, 2022 4:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.