Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sasaki and Miyano
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2022 7:54 AM

Nov 2013
A pretty faithful adaptation so far. Expressions are great, particularly Sasaki's, and animation isn't too bad, looking forward to the rest!

For those of you confused/annoyed by the flashbacks, that's how it was in the manga (which was even more confusing), but should not occur often after this episode.

Although MAL has given this the BL genre, I think it is important to note that the mangaka (who enjoys BL herself) has intentionally labelled this work as "Boys' Life" and a promo advertising the anime said, "This is the story of two high-school boys' lives, that 'BL' isn't enough to describe." In Japan, the manga is not advertised as a BL or given the BL tag by bookstores, Amazon, Animate, etc. At its essence, this is a Romance/Slice of Life.
Gardevoir101Jan 12, 2022 5:54 PM
Jan 9, 2022 8:00 AM

Jul 2017
The best way I can describe Sasaki and Miyano, is that of BL Horimiya, as described by Gigguk. The title font should be an obvious indication.

Fangirls be absolutely frothing between kouhai Yoshikazu "Mya-chan" Miyano and Senpai Shuumei Sasaki, and their many interactions which makes this a simple but wholesome, slice-of-life BL.

For a start, their introductions I thought were handled quite simple, but it's a feel-good series, so there's that. From the moments to even an indirect kiss and conversation with others like Hirano-senpai, Sasaki being bullied and Miyano to his rescue, it was a sweet first meeting.

Studio Deen did a decent job, all things considered. The females have a reason to rejoice this season with this show. So sweet and cute.
KANLen09Jan 9, 2022 11:13 AM
Jan 9, 2022 8:04 AM

Jun 2019
I'm not huge on BL but this looks very wholesome to me, so, I'm gonna stick around with this one. The characters look sweet and also the visuals looked pretty good IMO. Miyano and Sasaki were both very cute, especially their interactions. LOL

Looking forward to more of this show. Studio Deen, good job.
Jan 9, 2022 8:32 AM
Jul 2020
i watch few BLs but THIS. IS. THE. CUTEST. BL. ANIME. EVER. I SMILE FROM THE START TILL THE END OF THE EPISODE SHET I CANNOT NEXT WEEK PLS COME QUICKLY.
Jan 9, 2022 8:35 AM
Jul 2021
Episode 1 is pretty fluffy 😭 waiting for next ep.
Jan 9, 2022 8:38 AM

Feb 2020
I'm not into BL, but I like these type of fluffy and wholesome SoL. The characters and their interactions are really enjoyable here.

I also liked the ending song. It's so nice and relaxing.

That cat looks almost exactly like my cat, Tufa. So cute. =^_^=

SerafosJan 9, 2022 10:59 AM
Jan 9, 2022 8:43 AM

Mar 2012
I was actually expecting something far worse given that one is a fudanshi and the other a delinquent but the whole episode turned out to be really sweet and wholesome.
Jan 9, 2022 8:45 AM

Jan 2021
This is a really faithful adaptation of the manga so far. The pacing in the beginning is really wonky and still is here, but I think I’ve read it so many times that it wasn’t confusing lol. Most of the animation was pretty good aside from a few awkward moments, and it has a pretty unique feel. One thing I was iffy on is that they “amped up” a lot of their interactions and made them feel less natural (the manga is not this heavy-handed), but it worked from a comedic perspective, I guess.

Also, for people who are scared that it is “trope-y” already, it deconstructs a lot of that later. You’ll notice the difference somewhere in the middle.
skylucarioJan 9, 2022 9:12 AM

Before you try revolutionizing the country, why don’t you revolutionize yourself first? - 土方十四郎
Jan 9, 2022 8:57 AM

May 2017
Aaaaaaaaaaa i love it so much TTuTT
The way sasaki calling myaachan is super cute
The Ed are so cute too
Everything is so cuteee
Jan 9, 2022 8:59 AM

Jul 2017
The interactions felt a bit too forced and unnatural to me but hopefully it improves over time as Sasaki and Miyano spend more time together. I've never been a fan of BL but am looking to see from time to time if there are promising titles out there and this was one my friend hyped up a lot. I can see why with the wholesome approach but I do feel like the chemistry feels a bit heavy-handed for me and it applies to some of its humor too, especially with Miyano. Again, hope with time and progress, the dynamic can feel less forced and more real.

I see more promise in this than with Given at least, which I didn't like at all and felt way too forced in a more dramatic manner which I prefer less than the Sasaki and Miyano approach.
Jan 9, 2022 8:59 AM

Jan 2021
I'm not into BL at all and this is gonna be my first one. Let's see how it plays out!

So far, its good.

PS. "Thats a guy" lmao, Seems like a Steins;Gate reference.
Jan 9, 2022 9:04 AM
Jul 2018
I was grinning like an idiot because of the overloaded cuteness. I'm glad that no toxic elements entered the scene, making it a solid healthy bl romance like I hoped to. Unfortunately, this genre is being abused in all media with some exceptions - it's nice to have something sweet like this and Given.
Jan 9, 2022 9:04 AM
Feb 2020
It was cute. The animation wasn't bad. Can't wait for the next episode! 👍
Jan 9, 2022 9:11 AM
Jul 2021
its so cute and wholesome aw
Jan 9, 2022 9:20 AM

Feb 2017
MYAAA-chan

aaaaaa i read some of the manga a while ago back when the anime was first announced n i really loved it!!!! suuuuper excited for this adaption, looks great so far!!! really needed a wholesome romance rn honestly

placeholder text
Jan 9, 2022 9:25 AM
Nov 2021
I haven't read the manga, but I think kadokawa animated it really nicely. The storyline might be fast-paced, yet it's perfect for me. I'll be looking forward to the rest of the episodes.
Jan 9, 2022 9:28 AM
Jul 2016
The fluttering effects should be listed as a main character istg.

Overall, kinda wonky and all over the place. I do think that as the anime adapts the longer chapters and introduces the secondary characters, that the show will improve. Because the secondary characters are hilarious and add so much to this universe. No spoilers for anime-only watchers, but look forward to the appearance of Kuresawa Tasuku (he's the glasses boy who appears in the theme song) and Ogasawara Jirou (appears in Volume 2 of the manga).

Overall, I'm happy because another BL manga I've read is being adapted to anime. Few BL manga get anime adaptations. I enjoy watching my fair share of bishonen boys like "The Case Study of Vanitas", or "Moriarty the Patriot", or even this season's "The Requirem of the Rose King". But, I love pure BL, rather than just "fujo-bait".

This is also one of the few manga that I've read long before the announcement of the anime. So I get to feel like a hipster lmaooooo.
Jan 9, 2022 9:29 AM

Apr 2018
That was surprisingly cute.
Jan 9, 2022 9:30 AM

Nov 2016
Oh, would you look that. A BL anime I may end up liking for the wholesome vibes and cute character interactions. Nice start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 9, 2022 9:36 AM

Jun 2020
Omg.........SO CUTE♡

And I swear every time I hear Shirai Yuusuke I question myself if it’s not Kaito. He sounds so much like Ishikawa Kaito at times it’s insane.

Hirano is hilarious lololllll

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jan 9, 2022 9:39 AM
Sep 2015
So sweet, so pure, so innocence, so dokidoki! But more importantly, so meta!

PS; I actually learn another definition of "moe" today, but it's hard to use without confusing with cuteness so I'll stick with "shipping material".
Jan 9, 2022 9:40 AM
May 2021
Not me dying from wholesomeness overload - episode 1 was everything a manga reader could hope for, and then some! I'm counting down the episodes until
XO2HKIMJan 9, 2022 10:18 AM
Jan 9, 2022 9:55 AM

Jan 2021
It's here, it's here, it's finally here! Just like in the beginning of the manga, this first episode jumps back and forth in time in a confusing way, but everyone sounds good and looks great, so this should be a lot of fun once the story finds its footing. I'm interested to see how they're going to blend the 4-koma bits with the main story.
CalmTeaTimeJan 9, 2022 3:47 PM
Jan 9, 2022 9:56 AM
Jun 2021
4 chapters were covered in this ep
And everyone did a great job especially the director *-*
I guess anime would be able to cover 39 chapters in 12 eps , I can't wait for the next ep TT
It may look a bit weird at first but just wait and see how lovely their relationship is
Jan 9, 2022 10:26 AM
May 2017
skylucario said:
This is a really faithful adaptation of the manga so far. The pacing in the beginning is really wonky and still is here, but I think I’ve read it so many times that it wasn’t confusing lol.

That was really my only major issue (I would have liked more consistent animation, but I appreciate the pretty moments). It's been a long time since I read the manga, but the back and forth between past and present was a bit confusing.
Jan 9, 2022 10:30 AM

Apr 2020
Is it just me or was the first episode kind of a mess to me. I'm saying it now, I am going in blind here, so all I can say from what I've seen is that the way the story was told was not linear. And even though I understand how Sasaki fell to Miyano, I was put off by how fast the story changes from point to point.

Now with that out of the way, umm damn this shit is beautiful. Unlike in Sekaiichi Hatsukoi (man its been a while since I've seen that), Sasaki (the big boy) is not too pushy to Miyano (the small boy). The characters look nice, especially Mya-chan (the doujin writers are going to have a field day sooner or later), and overall it does look like a feel good show.

It's funny that this anime is going to be in the same day with Attack on Titan, but ay I can watch this nicely before or after that show, which serves as a nice balance for the Mondays. Sasaki to Miyano, you earned my attention.
Jan 9, 2022 10:34 AM

Oct 2017
i can already tell that this is going to be one of my favorites from this season. hope the rest of the show continues like this :)

the flashbacks were a bit confusing in terms of when they happened and what was the present versus the past but the story overall is good so ill try to look past that
Jan 9, 2022 10:39 AM

Mar 2021
It was so wholesome and cute! The art is really pretty and so far I have no complaints about the adaption. I’m very excited for the rest of the season!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2022 10:46 AM

Jan 2010
wait, I thought this was supposed to air tomorrow? MAL shows it as airing January 10th???

So many anime coming out on Sundays...
Jan 9, 2022 10:48 AM

Jul 2021
HOLY FUCK THIS IS WHOLESOME I CAN'T I'M DESPERATELY SCREAMING ALL OVER. Miyano and Sasaki's relationship is so adorable and I love how refreshing the OST here is. The fact Sasaki has the guts to say Miyano is cute makes me wanna blush every 24 minutes 0-0 the "Mya chan" is GIVING ME DIABETES ALREADY. I never knew that Sasaki is an absolute otaku and is willing to read manga, I like how Miyano is just conscious towards the manga and Sasaki is so blunt please I get a second hand embarrassment but that scene where he gave out the context of the manga was a source of entertainment especially when he has so many love feelings to Miyano! Also those particles flowing all over the scene is perfectly describing the anime as a whole. The part where Miyano gets beaten by Hirano for being carried away is so adorable + Hirano beating Sasaki was some comedy gold xD It's interesting to see how they met plus their own respective perspective on the other hand. Honestly I want Sasaki to make me cookies until I realized his mother was the one who baked it so it's hard to ask especially when I'm a girl, his mother would've thought that we're dating and stuff. Hirano's enragement is impeccable and he just can't get over the mood xD. Miyano and Sasaki during the rainy days is romantic :v THAT INDIRECT KISS I- I WANT TO SERIOUSLY FAINT RNRN. The liquor chocolate scene is just too funny that Sasaki has the guts to eat it when there's an option to refuse to or otherwise, his stomach will hurt and this scene is pure adorable again TT. Overall extremely adorable episode, I probably 2nd this as my favorite BL while my 1st is still Given. Looking forward to the next episode~ ALSO OP IS SO WHOLESOME AND REALLY FITS THE THEME TO THIS ANIME.

"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 9, 2022 10:52 AM

Oct 2016
Our prayers have been answered. Finally, a non-problematic, wholesome BL anime series
Jan 9, 2022 10:56 AM

Apr 2021
People who have read the manga, is the bullying/fighting thing a prominent feature of the plot?
Jan 9, 2022 10:59 AM
Jun 2021
off-season said:
People who have read the manga, is the bullying/fighting thing a prominent feature of the plot?

Ummm not really . The very first time Miyano admired Sasaki was that , nothing more
Jan 9, 2022 11:19 AM

Mar 2021
kristenkago said:
Our prayers have been answered. Finally, a non-problematic, wholesome BL anime series

Y'all have been saying that since No.6 in 2011, Yuri on ice in 2016, Banana Fish in 2018, Given in 2019, Umibe no Etranger in 2020.... consider that maybe there are plenty of good BL lol
Jan 9, 2022 11:25 AM
Mar 2021
devastatingdance said:
kristenkago said:

Y'all have been saying that since No.6 in 2011, Yuri on ice in 2016, Banana Fish in 2018, Given in 2019, Umibe no Etranger in 2020.... consider that maybe there are plenty of good BL lol

literally i hear this everytime..
Jan 9, 2022 11:27 AM

Nov 2019
So wholesome~!

The way Sasaki calls Miyano Mya-chan is adorable, and its sweet seeing him already catching feelings.

Hirano-senpai sure is cool side character so far, can't wait to meet the rest of them
Jan 9, 2022 11:29 AM
Mar 2021
KANLen09 said:
The best way I can describe Sasaki and Miyano, is that of BL Horimiya, as described by Gigguk. The title font should be an obvious indication.

Fangirls be absolutely frothing between kouhai Yoshikazu "Mya-chan" Miyano and Senpai Shuumei Sasaki, and their many interactions which makes this a simple but wholesome, slice-of-life BL.

For a start, their introductions I thought were handled quite simple, but it's a feel-good series, so there's that. From the moments to even an indirect kiss and conversation with others like Hirano-senpai, Sasaki being bullied and Miyano to his rescue, it was a sweet first meeting.

Studio Deen did a decent job, all things considered. The females have a reason to rejoice this season with this show. So sweet and cute.

why only females lol? i'm a man..
Jan 9, 2022 11:30 AM

Apr 2021
SaaajE said:
off-season said:

Ummm not really . The very first time Miyano admired Sasaki was that , nothing more

Okay, maybe the back-and-forth with flashbacks confused me... I got the idea that it happened on two different occasions in EP1 (he first interferes in a fight, then later gets beaten up for having interfered) and that made me think it'll be a sustained plot feature. But I'm happy if I'm wrong.
Jan 9, 2022 11:35 AM

Apr 2011
I knew nothing about this series and I was afraid it would be another boring BL like Given but nope, it's fun!! And cute!! And funny!! I love this first episode.
Jan 9, 2022 11:36 AM
Jun 2021
off-season said:
SaaajE said:

Okay, maybe the back-and-forth with flashbacks confused me... I got the idea that it happened on two different occasions in EP1 (he first interferes in a fight, then later gets beaten up for having interfered) and that made me think it'll be a sustained plot feature. But I'm happy if I'm wrong.

I got you , but if I'm not wrong there won't be any other flash backs at all
And after seeing their relationship's progress , you won't care about the beginning anymore XD
Jan 9, 2022 11:37 AM

Jul 2021
TokenBoy8 said:
KANLen09 said:

Well most male are biased / not a fan of BL anime and this is a shoujo or female demographic which is why it's mostly targeted by female audience.

Jan 9, 2022 11:39 AM

Jan 2019
erikkamirs said:
The fluttering effects should be listed as a main character istg.
deadass

studio deen's trying to distract me from the fact that it can't animate for shit with bright and flashy colors. ig it's working bc i indeed am very distracted
Jan 9, 2022 11:39 AM

Nov 2015
devastatingdance said:
kristenkago said:

Yuri on ice is not a bl and banana fish is a shojo
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 9, 2022 11:44 AM
Mar 2021
CQLLIST said:
TokenBoy8 said:

Well most male are biased / not a fan of BL anime and this is a shoujo or female demographic which is why it's mostly targeted by female audience.

Ok? it's still a show with a love story between two men. i'm a gay man..so i'm the demographic as well
Jan 9, 2022 11:45 AM

Jul 2021
TokenBoy8 said:
CQLLIST said:

Ok? it's still a show with a love story between two men. i'm a gay man..so i'm the demographic as well

I'm saying that this type of show would target any female audiences SPECIFICALLY, any gay man would watch it too I just don't refer it that much because I've seen more female audiences being into BL. If you like this show then enjoy it, I'm not forcing you to agree with me anyways because I don't want to start an argument about this one thing.

Jan 9, 2022 11:50 AM
Sep 2019
Oh my god, it was a perfect first episode!!!

I'm so happy to be alive!!!
☆*:.。.o(≧▽≦)o.。.:*☆

Very close to the manga too, can't wait for the next episode!
Jan 9, 2022 12:04 PM

May 2021
Not into BL at all but this was quite a good episode! Sasaki, Miyano and Hirano are all pretty nice people and have good character chemistry.

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Jan 9, 2022 12:17 PM

Jan 2021
Oh yeah, another thing, for those worried about the confusing flashbacks: Those don’t pop up at all later in the manga, which follows a very linear plot. The first volume or so wasn’t officially serialized, hence it being kind of a mess and having a different feel from the later manga. The pace also slows down quite a bit.

devastatingdance said:
kristenkago said:

I would not say No. 6, BF, or Given are wholesome, nor that Umibe no Étranger is unproblematic. That might just be my opinion, and it’s fine that they’re not; they still have merit and people are allowed to enjoy them. Additionally, out of these, ONLY THE LAST TWO are actually BL; the others just have queer male characters. This kind of weakens your argument, especially considering that the person who said that may have been referring to “BL” that focuses primarily on romance, as most do. There are not a lot of good straight-up BL anime, nor are there many options.

I’ve been investigating BL manga for a very long time; by my standards, there are not a lot of good ones. Sasaki to Miyano isn’t a BL because it 1) is marketed as a shōjo (demographic) romance/slice of life (genre) in Japan; 2) it treats BL as something separate from the experiences of the characters within their relationships; 3) it’s meant to be able to appeal to multiple demographics, showing that gay romance in manga can exist outside of BL because it can happen in real life, too; and 4) all of these things were the intent of the author.

Apologies for the wall of text. I’ve been a fan of this series for a really long time, so I know a lot about it and have done lots of thinking.
skylucarioJan 9, 2022 12:29 PM

Before you try revolutionizing the country, why don’t you revolutionize yourself first? - 土方十四郎
Jan 9, 2022 12:38 PM

Jan 2022
Sundays are now my favorite day of the week for the next three months

Even though I was slightly disappointed that they didn't fix the weird pacing of the beginning of the story, this episode still brought a smile to my face and made me realize how much I missed sasamiya, even though I only read it for the first time about a month ago.

If you haven't read the manga, you should definitely keep watching this for at least one more episode, there's no more confusing flashbacks or pacing, and the story only gets better as time goes on.

Side note, seeing kagiura in the ed credits is giving me hope that they'll adapt some of the extras from the manga volumes throughout the season, and I really hope they do because they're so good
Jan 9, 2022 12:50 PM
Aug 2018
I gasped a lot like I've already read the manga but them being voiced feels different. Anyhow, has anyone else noticed that seiyuus in BL animes are always the same?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sasaki to Miyano Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Mar 27, 2022

131 by NotBonBon »»
Apr 21, 1:45 PM

» I'm conflicted

Aroertas - Apr 16, 2022

17 by NemuriNezumi »»
Apr 7, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Sasaki to Miyano Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Feb 13, 2022

60 by DebiPS »»
Feb 21, 6:24 PM

Poll: » Sasaki to Miyano Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 6, 2022

41 by DebiPS »»
Feb 20, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Sasaki to Miyano Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jan 16, 2022

65 by DebiPS »»
Feb 18, 9:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.