Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 10, 2022 12:25 AM
Jan 2017
oke its j.c staff studio again, how much anime made by them airing i this season,,
Jan 10, 2022 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
The army is eavily fatigued and on the backfoot. "Just keeping going" 4Head
Wonder what the situation is with the witch figure in Richard's mind
Jan 10, 2022 12:44 AM
Dec 2021
FuMomo-kun said:
I am liking the almost-theatrical type of storytelling. And the art and music are beautiful. The backgrounds were painted in such an artistic way too. The anime feels kind of poetic in a way.

The voice acting is nice. I have missed seeing good voice acting! lol

Richard is an intersex boy, and wants to be seen as strong. I liked the way his desire for being seen as tough, despite his small body, is shown by his design, voice actor and even the subtle choice of words in his dialogues. Also, I love how he is the only one of his brothers who looks completely different. It sort of lets us know he is not like the others. (He looks sort of Japanese, but I can understand why a Japanese story would do that.)

Father seems like a very supportive man. The sort that gets killed at some point.

I like the way Richard and Henry met, and got along. And, how Richard wants to kill Henry for his father.

Okay, so I had one small problem. The episode felt extremely fast paced. It was like the contents were rushing to finish. I think this story needs a bit of room to breathe. But, the number of episode this anime is getting is making me worried. I can't imagine a story about war being satisfyingly told in just 12 episodes.

I wish the title for the next episode was not "Father Is My Light"; and instead was something like "My Father, My Light". This story seems poetic and kind of theatrical, so a use of poetic tools in titles can sound nice, I think.

I thinking about this and really expect more seasons, 12 eps is very faster for a 32 years of war
Jan 10, 2022 1:00 AM
Dec 2021
It's interesting, too bad he doesn't seem to be well known around my country, I'm brazilian and the ppl here they seem to have misunderstood the plot, the historical context (understandable, our education system isn't good) and have a prejudice with the protagonist (there are also ppl who didn't know what intersex is, some even thought it was the same thing as non-binary) and think this is a BL
Jan 10, 2022 4:50 AM

Dec 2020
this is interesting, though i didnt really understand much especially with the poet-like storytelling im really interested. hopefully someone can make a recap for dummies or something on every ep😭😭 that'd sure help me a lot
Jan 10, 2022 5:13 AM

Feb 2015
I think this was not that awful start, i don't know maybe because i am a manga-reader but this has the potential to better. You can see they tried to look it better in certain parts. Also the fast pace can be specific to first episodes to cover all characters' introduction. I want to trust them for the further episodes, since the manga has such a beautiful story and characters with amazing art ;_;
Jan 10, 2022 6:46 AM

Dec 2016
It was OK. It looks like this will be my “just to time pass” anime. Can't say I enjoyed but it wasn't really boring either, it was just mostly cringey and too fast paced.
Jan 10, 2022 7:30 AM

Mar 2012
First episode was pretty good, why is the rating so low!?

My biggest problem with this anime is Saiga Mitsuki's voice, she has undoubtedly done a great job but the voice just irritates me because I have completely registered it in my mind for another character she voices who is annoying as hell.
Jan 10, 2022 8:17 AM

Feb 2019
Very impressed with the switching up of artstyle and palette for the various supernatural(?) sequences, as well as the attempt to capture the Shakespearian tone, particularly in the convoluted meeting of Henry and Richard.

As expected, this seems to be this season's strongest contender so far.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jan 10, 2022 10:26 AM
May 2021
texasfangirl1999 said:
_Zomboy_ said:
I'm hyped for this one. Overall it seems very promising. I'm also excited of the dark mood.

But I have a question: Is Richard a girl now?

No, Richard is intersex so he has both male and female bodily traits but he fully identifies as a male.

thanks for explaining
Jan 10, 2022 1:15 PM

Jun 2021
Good episode. I like the artistic style of the show. Hopefully the story can stay interesting for 24 episodes.
Jan 10, 2022 3:00 PM

Nov 2012
The art reminds me Le Chevalier d'Eon, but this was boring to me.

So now Richard's a hermaphrodite instead of having scoliosis or a hunchback? oooook Humpty Dumpty makes no sense now. It's been years since I watched an anime loosely based on European history, but I'll be skipping this. The best thing about R3 is Shakespeare's play imo.
dragynfaerieJan 10, 2022 3:04 PM
Jan 10, 2022 6:38 PM
Jul 2020
Currently a fan of the manga so I was very excited for this anime adaptation. Unfortunately this first ep was quite disappointing, too fast-pace for the drama to be shown, I know that animes can’t replicate to 100% the manga art style but this was a lot worse than what I had imagined. Also with such dark themes in the manga and I already saw that a lot of it was sensored, im a bit worried on we’re the anime will go. Im still hoping that these are such cases of the first ep but I don’t have much hope for it. Anyway read the manga it’s really good!
Jan 10, 2022 9:44 PM

Feb 2010
Why the low score?
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Jan 10, 2022 9:48 PM

Mar 2016
Let's fucking goooo, family drama over succession this is the shit!

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Jan 11, 2022 10:46 AM
Jan 2022
It felt like they crammed a lot into 20 minutes. I do like the historical animes and it'll be interesting to see if it can match Vinland Saga

3/5
Jan 11, 2022 3:09 PM
Jun 2013
That was surprisingly interesting, the dark vibe, the background art is stunning, the animation per se is okay but the whole package makes up for that, the plot is quite intriguing, so what's with the low score? ahhh let me guess "iS tHiS gAy?"
Jan 11, 2022 4:19 PM

Jul 2013
Episode 1 was interesting. I feel like more could have been explained / could’ve slowed down however.

Anyway, I really like Richard, Henry, King Richard, and the magical (?) boar. My favorite part is the scene when Richard and Henry met (with how much Henry was a pacifist and talking about enjoying being a shepherd, I was lowkey expecting him to say he was Jesus Christ lol).
Jan 11, 2022 5:33 PM
Mar 2021
I was so excited for this but the pacing is so fast to the point where it makes me not care about any character since we barely know anything about them. They don't explain Henry's character at all beyond he's the king, prince Edward shows up but, did they even say who he was? I mean they skipped literally everything that makes you interested in the characters. I really hope they slow down for the rest. That said I think the art style is good for the show though I do find it a bit lacking.
Jan 11, 2022 7:29 PM
Jun 2017
Huh...
Kinda weird.
Well, as I have read about the Wars of the Roses, I may say my enjoyment of the plot might be tainted.
Anyway... Well, it's not such an outstanding anime, so I hope at least it is good as a historical one.
It appears to be quite gay, though, even if Richard is a hermaphrodite.
I hope it doesn't focus too much in romance.
Jan 12, 2022 6:29 AM
Jul 2020
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:
That was surprisingly interesting, the dark vibe, the background art is stunning, the animation per se is okay but the whole package makes up for that, the plot is quite intriguing, so what's with the low score? ahhh let me guess "iS tHiS gAy?"
Sasaki to Miyano, anime/manga that is actual boys love genre has a bigger score. It's not because of that, but because a lot of people, including myself, think the first episode was rather weak in its pacing and structure. If you check out the manga's first four chapters, you'll see that the pace and feel is completely different.

I'm hoping the next episode and the one after are better.
Jan 12, 2022 7:35 AM

May 2018
daft_mariner said:
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:
Sasaki to Miyano, anime/manga that is actual boys love genre has a bigger score. It's not because of that, but because a lot of people, including myself, think the first episode was rather weak in its pacing and structure. If you check out the manga's first four chapters, you'll see that the pace and feel is completely different.

I'm hoping the next episode and the one after are better.

Yeah, it took me an hour to read those 4 chapters (volume 1).
And they adapted it in 20 minutes while quality value is low/average, so this time spent isn't too productive either.
Similar thing happened with Blue Period and Faraway Paladin, in Fall 2021. (Though they didn't cram full volume in one EP)
Recently it's a norm that anime adaptations are rushed from the get go. Freaking trend to have only and specifically 12 or 24 episodes per season ;(
Jan 12, 2022 8:17 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Incest_Enjoyer said:
erikkamirs said:
I think this show has the potential to be really good. I struggled reading the manga past 14 chapters, but I was engaged throughout the episode. I guess Shakespeare is better enjoyed through the theater than the book lmaooooo.
And I am going through the torture of reading The tempest for my exams. Atleast the play was engaging
ZXEAN said:
Incest_Enjoyer said:
And I am going through the torture of reading The tempest for my exams. Atleast the play was engaging
Same here bro. I am also struggling to study Macbeth for my exams.

It's off topic, but the anime zetsuen no tempest is inspired by both hamlet and the tempest. Pretty good anime, too.
BlichoBoy said:
What left me kinda disliking Richard, was him looking deep in the eyes of the boar piglet and call it ugly. That piglet is beautiful.

I agree. It's very cute. Richard is definitely talking about himself there as well. He hates his body a lot. Well, getting called a demon probably doesnt build self esteem.. .

bimpo said:
the pacing was way too fast imo. haven't read the manga, but it feels like they covered an entire volume in just one episode lol.

I was just starting the manga when I discovered they were animating it and agreed. Also they still managed to miss a bunch of stuff that happened. Maybe it'll be in episode 02...but if they do that, it'll be out of order??

I think I prefer the manga so far...but I'll give it a fair chance.

Jan 12, 2022 7:43 PM
Sep 2020
well I'm going back to read the manga because they put an entire volume in one episode! absolutely awful
sigh......what a disappointment
Jan 12, 2022 10:22 PM

Dec 2018
Quite an okay first episode... Richard have a girl body huh? How come he's the only one with black hair while all of his family is blonde?... Oooh, so the Shepard is actually the King~

Jan 14, 2022 8:54 AM
Apr 2019
Compared to the manga, this episode was very past paced. Maybe they skipped too much stuff
Will watch it though, this episode was quite good despite the poor pacing.
Jan 14, 2022 2:06 PM
Jul 2016
daft_mariner said:
Lynx_sama said:
The manga is wayyyyyyy better, they rushed so much in this ep 😭
Baraou is a great work, but i don't think the studio is doing a good job here ... Baraou deserves so much more and a really better adaptation. But i think it's the expected from this studio (˘・_・˘)

I hope new people be able to understand and get into it as i am tho

I'll wait next episodes and see how it'll be from now on

But anyways Henry my love 😭😭💕🥺 pls don't cry my heart aches every time i see your tears best boy deservers all the happiness in the world

//henrych otp so true i luv them (。・//ε//・。)
It's not the studio's fault. J.C. Staff have made plenty of great adaptations. But if you check out the staff for this show, you'll find out that the director and script writer (more so the script writer/series composer) don't have that much experience. The people working on it always determine the final quality.

Of course, poor scheduling affects the work a lot as well. The fact that they delayed the premiere by a season was already sus. Even then, it's on the people working on it. We'll just have to see if it gets better.

the scheduling is tight for sure and the director does have some experience since the dark vibes and Aesthetics were done by him.
Jan 15, 2022 6:37 PM

Apr 2020
Funny to see all the history buffs coming out of the wood works ....Dudes, this is Anime. Try to take it as a sort of "Re-imagining"....not as a literal depiction of actual history from the past...Gee xD

As for J.C Staff ...I thought that this was some of the best quality I've seen them produce, like ever, honestly. I don't know the Manga, but it seemed to me they just speed up the start a bit, by cutting some things short, which is fine for me and true for most adaptations, so I don't really get all the fuss in here^^

Really liked this Episode. Themes of beeing different and therefore forever alone/in pain in this world are usually right up my Alley. Don't really care THAT much about the whole War-of-the-Roses thing, yet. Seems to be more of a catalyst to deliver the Feels^^
Jan 15, 2022 7:16 PM

Jan 2010
finally got around to watching this. And as an adaptation of the manga or even just trying to view it from an anime-only standpoint, it wasn't very good at all, like it was pretty lousy if I'm being honest. Felt more like I was watching a slideshow, and the pacing was so rushed

I read the manga along with this episode. This episode almost adapted all of volume 1. It also very loosely followed the manga, scenes rearranged, content cut.

And while I've found the manga very hard to follow so far, it is still good I guess?

When the staff and studio got announced for this, I knew to set my expectations really low, and yea, so far those low expectations have been met. Maybe it'll get better? I mean, this anime is gonna adapt the entire manga. Don't have high hopes though.
Jan 16, 2022 8:23 PM

Oct 2020
I tend to love historical reimaginings, and although the pacing was a bit fast it was an ok first episode. Although the animation quality is... not the best to say the least I wouldn't say it detracts from it too much.

Really looking forward to see where this goes!

ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴʏ sᴇʀɪᴏᴜs ᴘʀᴏʙʟᴇᴍs? ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴍᴀʏʙᴇ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ʜᴇʟᴘ ʏᴏᴜ… ʜᴇʜᴇʜ.

ɪ’ᴍ ᴛʀᴜʟʏ ʜᴏɴᴏʀᴇᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀʟʟᴇᴅ ғᴏʀ ᴜs. ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴀʟʟ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴡɪsʜᴇs ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛʀᴜᴇ.
🅢🅞🅤🅡🅒🅔
Jan 18, 2022 12:16 PM

Jun 2015
Bruh this had the plot of a whole 8 seasons historical tv show with spin-offs squeezed in a single episode and yet still managed to bore me. Not my cup of tea
They all feel the same adjust to the pain..like tears in the rain..

Jan 18, 2022 9:24 PM
Mar 2012
some beautiful backgrounds, some cool scenes like Joanofarc.
why a cg boar? Events edit so abrupt. The Richard Henry relation I like tho.
But mc too emo cringy. Feels like everything censored or just slideshow.
Jan 25, 2022 10:23 AM
Feb 2021

I'm always attracted to this kind of anime as I love Historical genre and sometimes ultimately become my favorite. I decided to watch Barou no Souretsu because I liked the art visual, same vibes as my favorite ones.

I honestly love the start of the anime it got the feels that it'll get dark as story unfold.
ArekiVioletJan 25, 2022 10:27 AM
Jan 28, 2022 3:54 PM

Jul 2008
Oh look another Romeo and Juliette story...
I was waiting this title a lot, but I am a bit disappointed by this first episode.
And being French and all, seeing another weird Jeanne d'Arc character was a bit of a turn-off.
Don't het me wrong I am honored by Japan's fixation about this point of France history, but...
Apr 5, 2022 6:07 AM

Nov 2019
If I want either information or entertainment, I will find both in The White Queen. Not a single one in this blatant Japanised garbage.

SgtBateManApr 5, 2022 7:37 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 7, 2022 1:16 AM
Jul 2019
I make a return to MAL to check out one of my PTW and this is it? This is anime? Hideous. I knew they simplified the way they draw characters and backgrounds today but I wasn't expecting.. this... One quick look at the manga and it's presentation is infinitely better.

No soul I tell ye. Not a shred anywhere.
Jul 25, 2022 12:15 AM

Feb 2021
I love the art but somehow didn't like the story for this first episode. Still need more information from the next episode to uncover all of this story.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Nov 3, 2022 10:45 PM
Jul 2016
manga was a billion times better
Mar 21, 2023 4:16 AM
Mar 2023
i can't really rate this cause i have no idea what the hell happened☠
                                 cacagorilla will take over
Mar 19, 3:00 PM
Jan 2024
No face, and bad anime
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is this anime BL?

wazzupdog - May 23, 2022

8 by Mishiia »»
Mar 11, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Baraou no Souretsu Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2022

17 by KatastrophicNoob »»
Sep 8, 2023 5:40 AM

» Why the low rating?

removed-user - Jan 9, 2022

20 by Lucifrost »»
Aug 28, 2023 1:47 PM

» On this day 538 years ago…

monder_Killer17 - Aug 25, 2023

0 by monder_Killer17 »»
Aug 25, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Baraou no Souretsu Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2022

23 by monder_Killer17 »»
Aug 6, 2023 3:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.