Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 25, 2021 11:58 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
I am glad they made this a back to back episode, since waiting a whole week for this would have been torture. So much to unwrap in this episode.

So as many people saw coming, Watson's killer ended up being Lestrade. They kept it hidden until the last moment, and I was starting to second guess myself, but when Lupin and Sherlock had a fantastically animated fight scene and Lupin shot Sherlock, I knew the moment Sherlock fell to the ground what was going to happen next. Lily remembered the scene from her past and remembered Lestrade's face. He slipped up badly when he mentioned Lily's scarf to Holmes.

The reveal of the Raven turned out to anti-climactic, and that is pretty much how I see this entire storyline. I was a little disappointed in how the story was handled, though that's probably due to expectations. I thought it would be a great clash between Lupin and Holmes, like in the first two episodes, but in the end they were more friends than allies.

Lestrade was predictable and also had nothing really going for him, while the other guy who appeared also was forgettable. A lot of things don't make sense upon close examination. So the painting was a red herring to the dark room, which itself was just a trap.....so what was the point of the super complicated self destruct room which could only be activated by shedding light on it if there wasn't a purpose for its existence in the first place? It sounded cool, but it didn't make much sense. Additionally, they all miraculously survived the huge building-destruction explosion somehow, and Lily still had the nerve to ask if Lupin made it out alive like it wasn't crazy for her to make it out alive. It definitely was weird, though we know that explosions in Lupin are hardly dangerous. Likewise, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Lestrade survived his own explosion at the end.

Despite the Raven being an anti-climactic reveal, I do like the explanation behind the legend and how that caused the Raven to turn out to be. That being said, for an entire storyline, the payoff wasn't great. Really, the Raven was there to add a deeper darker mystery to the season instead of it just being the culprit of Watson's killer, but in the end, the culprit of Watson's killer was the entire mystery.

This should have been a movie. The flow, runtime, and plot would have fit much better.

That reveal at the end though with Moriarty was awesome. I wonder if he will make another appearance later. I guess we will see.

The next episode looks like it will start a new arc, so we may be done with London for now, though we will find out next episode. The next arc is called "Woman" and will have a new ED, Bitter Rain by Sakura Fujiwara, and there will be a new soundtrack released in about a month.

Based off past seasons, it's possible that Sherlock and Lily might make an appearance towards the end of the next arc so it all ties together, but that might not happen. I hope it does, since I really want to see more Sherlock in action, since we didn't get as much as I hoped.

All in all, I think this was the weakest main storyline of the last three seasons. Hopefully the next one is better.
anime-primeDec 25, 2021 12:01 PM
Dec 25, 2021 1:16 PM

May 2018
Was Moriarty voiced by Akira Ishida?
I liked how The Raven was presented as some sort of all-powerful thing but in the end it turned out that organisation has fallen apart years ago. Tho this was revealed at the beginning of episode 11.
alshuDec 25, 2021 1:20 PM
Dec 26, 2021 7:15 AM

May 2015
I agree with anime-prime. There was also a big emphasis on the possibility of adressing Lupin's morality as this part seemed to have a more morally ambiguous Lupin at first due to the whole "villain" thing in the trailers but that was also incredibly underwhelming.
The second part looks interesting but I'm not sure how I feel seeing the anime explore the subject of
seems like that would give too much information about Lupin's background which could make the character less versatile and mysterious. That might not happen though, as this topic may also be tackled very superficially

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeDec 26, 2021 7:24 AM
Dec 26, 2021 7:26 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Jose_prs said:
I agree with anime-prime. There was also a big emphasis on the possibility of adressing Lupin's morality as this part seemed to have a more morally ambiguous Lupin at first due to the whole "villain" thing in the trailers but that was also incredibly underwhelming.
The second part looks interesting but I'm not sure how I feel seeing the anime explore the subject of
seems like that would give too much information about Lupin's background which could make the character less versatile and mysterious. That might not happen though, as this topic may also be tackled very superficially
Yeah, I was going to mention the ambiguous morality thing, and it really bugged me as the whole point of it apparently was to make us believe he actually shot Watson, though we all knew right away that he didn't, but I am holding out hope that it will be tackled in the next arc. Otherwise the whole bait with
might just be as disappointing a bait as the "Lupin is evil" bait we had before.
anime-primeDec 26, 2021 7:32 AM
Dec 28, 2021 12:32 PM

Dec 2017
From what I can judge this first half was far inferior compared to what Part V was. I wonder why that is the case? It had everything to be a good Lupin anime but I guess we're slinking back to the mediocrity of those early 2000s specials.
Dec 29, 2021 1:06 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I guess the whole Lupin vs. Holmes was just a smokescreen since both of them were after Raven for different reasons. Next episode is looking like a trip to NYC as we discover the mystery of

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeDec 29, 2021 2:37 PM
Jan 3, 2022 12:10 AM

Nov 2017
This is becoming something real good. Can't wait for 2nd half.
Jan 6, 2022 8:22 AM
Mar 2011
I liked this arc. I don't see how it's inferior to other Lupin stories. But I agree that a lot of things were rather pointless. Like for example Raven was there only to have something to talk about. Also the mini-stories were rather unusual.

Also I didn't understand what was the point of the Moriarty scene...
Jan 12, 2022 5:25 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
At least we got the truth about Watson's case, that bomb suicide was to expect... but damn Moriarty at the end :o
Jan 14, 2022 9:52 PM

Mar 2014
This whole arc really sucked.
Jul 16, 2022 10:33 PM

Mar 2014
So the big conspiracy was just a big literal dud and her dad died for nothing, great twist. /s

Moriarty appearing at the end was neat though

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 10 Discussion

anime-prime - Dec 18, 2021

36 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 2, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 2 Discussion

anizawa89 - Oct 23, 2021

27 by Shadowmon »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:48 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 1 Discussion

FMmatron - Oct 16, 2021

36 by AnneKoen »»
Oct 2, 2023 3:20 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 4 Discussion

zamandzoe - Nov 6, 2021

33 by Daviljoe193 »»
Mar 11, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 24 Discussion

anime-prime - Mar 26, 2022

23 by Mormegil »»
Nov 11, 2022 6:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.