Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 5, 2010 9:08 PM

May 2009
For philosophy I have to make a good life journal with peoples opinions on what makes a life a good one so I thought I would pose the question to all you.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 2010 9:10 PM

May 2008
Once again, Mal is being used to answer somebody's homework.
Apr 5, 2010 9:19 PM

May 2009
Yup said:

yep, and why not?
Apr 5, 2010 9:20 PM

Nov 2007
Both the Japanese and United States versions of Red/Blue Pocket Monster sprites?
Elsewhere, a somewhat startled Warren Worthington III finds that he has accidentally wandered into an electrified east-side world of post-twist teens and watsui-ing teeny-boppers...
Apr 5, 2010 9:29 PM

Dec 2007
If you write my essay comparing Gandhi and Socrates then I will help you on your homework.

#NBHNC
Apr 5, 2010 9:39 PM

Feb 2010
Yup said:

what makes a good life? knowing that everyone gets 1 and you will "only" have that one chance to live it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2010 10:47 PM

Jan 2010
Having a secure future(ie good job), having time to do what you want, and to have accomplishments which would leave my name to posterity.
Score Criteria:
Apr 5, 2010 10:47 PM

Mar 2009
Freedom.
Apr 5, 2010 10:53 PM

Aug 2009
living on the edge and in the moment, and enjoying it. doing what you want to do. never holding back. good memories shared with close ones. that sounds about right to me.
Apr 5, 2010 10:54 PM

Aug 2008
Dark_Puddles said:
Yup said:

yep, and why not?

Answer your own question first... then we'll talk.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Apr 5, 2010 11:12 PM

May 2009
KyuuAL said:
Dark_Puddles said:
Yup said:

yep, and why not?

Answer your own question first... then we'll talk.

Honestly at the moment I can't, I think that's some what the point of gathering others ideas to compare to the texts we have to study, so we can gain our own insight by seeing others thoughts and then also compare them.
If I had to say something I would say happiness and ignorance are two factors that are important in a good life but to what extent i'm not exactly sure. Happiness can easily change and being in a constant state of happiness is impossible, not to mention the possiblity of not being able to be truely happy without experiencing sorrow. And ignorance is only helpful in being completely ignorant or to certain things that can bring you to be unhappy with what you have. So both really are only elements of what i believe is required to achieve a good life and i'd need more time to decide on others.
Dark_PuddlesApr 5, 2010 11:15 PM
Apr 5, 2010 11:15 PM

Oct 2008
why can't people just think on their own? why always have a second opinion, when the opinion that really matters is yours.

this is not a scientific research that you need a whole shitload of examples to prove a theory, thesis, and argument.

think on your own man.
Apr 5, 2010 11:16 PM

May 2009
Frito said:
why can't people just think on their own? why always have a second opinion, when the opinion that really matters is yours.

this is not a scientific research that you need a whole shitload of examples to prove a theory, thesis, and argument.

think on your own man.

Well to pass i do need other opinions as well as my own
Apr 5, 2010 11:27 PM

Aug 2008
Dark_Puddles said:
Frito said:

think on your own man.

Did you ask your mom yet?

In fact, ask her for me. I might be able to do something for her. >:D
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Apr 5, 2010 11:33 PM

May 2009
KyuuAL said:
Dark_Puddles said:
Frito said:

think on your own man.

Did you ask your mom yet?

In fact, ask her for me. I might be able to do something for her. >:D

You can find and ask her yourself. Have fun.
Apr 5, 2010 11:47 PM

Sep 2007
being "happy"
Apr 5, 2010 11:53 PM

Dec 2009
The word 'good' is too abstract for me.
Apr 5, 2010 11:59 PM

Aug 2008
I like cheesecake. It is delicious.

Apr 6, 2010 12:07 AM

Jan 2008
humm.. never eaten cheese cake.. i love raisins.

on offtopic.. in my opinion a good life is with a job that you love, you have flexible schedule and plenty of free time, vacations etc, you live in an environment and society you like, have plenty of good social interaction, independece, sufficient amount of money to travel the other side of the globe.
ThePuisiitisApr 6, 2010 12:21 AM

Apr 6, 2010 12:09 AM
Feb 2010
well a good life for me would be not having to worry about anything like the future or past etc etc etc, a simplistic life
Apr 6, 2010 10:47 AM
Feb 2010
AlexSadist-sama said:
Freedom.
Apr 6, 2010 11:15 AM

Feb 2008
Yup said:

spupapiApr 6, 2010 11:39 AM
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Apr 6, 2010 11:41 AM

May 2009
dpjdm said:
Good answer.

Oh wai-

Well, I agree. It just doesn't make sense to me to speak of life as being 'good' or 'bad'. Besides the fact that these terms are completely relative and subjective for every individual, it seems absurd to me to give a state some kind of valuation, or moral. And life is a state.

If anything, you could call it fun, boring, satisfying etc. But that would also only apply to whatever action you perform at the given time. So maybe, watching animu is fun. Or playing football. Or whatever. But those are actions and not a state such as 'life'.
Apr 6, 2010 11:41 AM

Aug 2008
I still want my cheesecake!

Apr 6, 2010 1:28 PM

Mar 2010
KyuuAL said:
I still want my cheesecake!

this is great
Apr 6, 2010 1:31 PM

Mar 2009
Knowledge
Freedom
Happiness

The three things in life I value most.
Apr 6, 2010 1:38 PM

Dec 2009
GoodEnoughForMe said:
Knowledge
Freedom
Penis

The three things in life I value most.
Apr 6, 2010 1:51 PM

Dec 2007
Good life = happy life

The happyness of a life depends too much on the moment. At this moment my life is not especially good, even though I can buy anything I want and have people to feed me. Because those who feed me are not especially nice to me. My dream of a good life comes through good stages. In some I'm dead poor, but that's a good life too. In the ultimate stage, I am rich and got a harem.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 6, 2010 2:08 PM

Jun 2008
It depends on what are you missing and what you want. Someone poor needs money to feel life is better, an ugly person wants to look better, a midget wants to be taller, a person that loves doing certain things needs free time for those things, someone living in a dictatorship wants more freedom and so on.
Apr 6, 2010 2:16 PM

Jan 2010
Independence? Are you comparing quality of life to standard of living?
Apr 6, 2010 2:49 PM

Mar 2010
Sex.

Damn, this answer is so universal, and my favorite.
Sig deleted for being obnoxious.
Apr 6, 2010 3:00 PM

Jun 2008
Saviuz said:
dpjdm said:
Good answer.

Oh wai-

Well, I agree. It just doesn't make sense to me to speak of life as being 'good' or 'bad'. Besides the fact that these terms are completely relative and subjective for every individual, it seems absurd to me to give a state some kind of valuation, or moral. And life is a state.

If anything, you could call it fun, boring, satisfying etc. But that would also only apply to whatever action you perform at the given time. So maybe, watching animu is fun. Or playing football. Or whatever. But those are actions and not a state such as 'life'.
Yeah man, for a philosophy class, they sure ask vague questions using vague words. I remember in high school already my English teacher despised seeing vague words like good on essays since it's so arbitrary.
Apr 6, 2010 3:10 PM

May 2008
In time to pleasure intensity percentage ratio.
Pleasure measured by the senses. Seeing things you want to see. Hearing things you want to hear. Smelling things you want to smell. Touching things you want to touch. Tasting things you want to taste. Thinking things you want to think.

The greater and more smoothly these things go, the greater quality of life.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 6, 2010 3:13 PM

Dec 2009
When life...is good.

Man, that was deep.

Apr 6, 2010 3:18 PM

May 2009
Tachii said:
Yeah man, for a philosophy class, they sure ask vague questions using vague words. I remember in high school already my English teacher despised seeing vague words like good on essays since it's so arbitrary.
Indeed. My friend had to do a presentation about the "meaning of life". His teacher expected something like "it's what makes your life worth living; a desirable goal or purpose you strive for" and "everyone has to find his/her own meaning of life" et cetera. My friend didn't want to tell such "hypocrite shit" and ended up telling about different philosophers and their views of the matter, instead of telling his own views and ideas. Obviously, he got a pretty bad grade for "not thinking for himself"...

sansho said:
Sex.

I can imagine a certain pingvin would strongly disagree with you here.
Apr 6, 2010 3:21 PM

Dec 2009
Well..I guess if you want a good life you would have to have a good death. After all death is part of life, so I suppose what's most important to me would be a death with no regrets.
Apr 6, 2010 3:50 PM

Mar 2010
Saviuz said:

sansho said:
Sex.

Why, who is pingvin, and doesn't it actually say "What makes a "good life" for you?" For you?
;3
Sig deleted for being obnoxious.
Apr 7, 2010 2:21 AM

May 2009
sansho said:
Saviuz said:

sansho said:
Sex.

Why, who is pingvin, and doesn't it actually say "What makes a "good life" for you?" For you?
;3
"He" is some kind of asexual creature. That's why. But yeah, you're right. It asks for your individual opinion.
Apr 7, 2010 4:17 AM

Oct 2008
Being respected and not rejected are what makes a good life for me.
Apr 7, 2010 6:57 AM
Oct 2009
Kanye told me the good life is when your grandmama ain't the only girl calling you baby
Apr 7, 2010 7:41 AM

Jun 2008
1. Serving my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ
2. Helping out others as much as I can
3. Staying away from Drugs, alcohol and the like

:)
Apr 8, 2010 11:29 AM

Apr 2010
AlexSadist-sama said:
Freedom.

what he said *points to AlexSadist*
O tomodachi ni natekudasai ^w^
Apr 8, 2010 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
Amaimon said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
Freedom.

what he said *points to AlexSadist*

Freedom for what exactly? There are people who are happier than other people with more freedom.
Apr 8, 2010 12:16 PM
Feb 2010
what makes a good life you ask?

hmm hard question for me lets see what make a good life is knowing that you'll have someone u love to make you laugh later on in the day, or having them listen to you while your telling your precious problems to them, or having a friend tell you to stop crying over that dumb girl or dumb boy that hurt you.

living life to the fullest each and everyday as if it we're your last.

accepting who you are and having a secure future in life ahead for ya.

that is what makes a good life and if you beilve you have a good life then cherish it forever cause you only have one life to live.

Apr 8, 2010 1:38 PM

Mar 2009
Ummm.
Well, I think having someone worth living for & to have someone live for you(:
Apr 8, 2010 1:45 PM

Oct 2009
Lolis, Pizza, Anime and all the Sunkist i can drink.
Apr 8, 2010 3:18 PM

Feb 2008
I do not concern myself with gods and spirits either good or evil nor do I serve any. I do not know "good" nor "evil". What I know is virtue, honor and love.
Thus "good" is too abstract.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Apr 8, 2010 3:22 PM
Aug 2009
What makes a good life? Being able to look back on the life you've lived and not have any (or few at least) regrets. Impacting someone else in a positive manner so that they can carry on your thoughts and actions even when you're no longer around. And being remembered as someone who made a difference, even if it was just a small one. I'd be happy with that.
Apr 8, 2010 3:24 PM

May 2009
just if humans have slept for 23 hours and been awaken for one hour.
that would have made my life "good" ^^
Apr 8, 2010 3:47 PM
Feb 2010
For me, it's walking up a path that guides you to your self-given purpose in life. I only feel complete when I'm working towards what I want in the future. There's something about being able to see first-hand how I'm gradually moving up to reach my short/long term goals that makes me feel complete. The come up is the most important phase in my life to me and I can't wait to in that position where I can reflect on those moments from a higher perspective.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.